Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Good recommendation, @ozziemom, to read the book before choosing it for your book club. Several people in my club commented they were in the mood for a romantic/spicy theme, and it was my turn to choose our next title. I chose a book that I had not read, but was quite popular on Amazon, that I thought would fit the bill. Turns out it was very heavy into very explicit sexual content, with a good amount of SM. 🤦🏻‍♀️. Luckily, they are all still speaking to me, but they say they will never look at me the same again. 🤣😂

Ummm what’s the book title? Asking for a friend lol. Had to google what SM is. Oh myyy.

lol

• LOL 7
24 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Okay, now I have to do a search for shows instead of just looking at a list. What is going on? 

Seems the AI didn't know how to properly alphabetize. However it seems they just cleared it up.

• Like 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

Seems the AI didn't know how to properly alphabetize. However it seems they just cleared it up.

I don't have any categories , just Counting On (my shows), Beyond TV Shows and Recently Added Shows. No Drama, Comedy , Genre..... 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Mind Blown 1
5 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

It had me following shows I didn't follow before. I hope this is the end to the upgrades!

At least you have more than one show to follow! lol! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
15 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

It had me following shows I didn't follow before. I hope this is the end to the upgrades!

That was me yesterday.  They're gone today.

• Like 4

Mine has been showing that there are new posts in some of my followed shows, but when I go to those forums, there is nothing new. I am beyond disgusted that administrators have been ignoring all of these concerns. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I went to see my Mom today because of the snow due in Chicago-land tomorrow afternoon. She looks weak and her skin is dry, but it’s the right tone and she’s 100% herself!!

She said she felt so bad on Thursday she said “God just take me, I know Scarlett45 will look after P, I can go in peace.” But she’s very happy she did not die!!

My mom consented to inpatient rehab after I told her if she didn’t she would be sitting on the curb because we weren’t carrying her in- it’s 8 stairs to her unit she must navigate safely. I left a message with the social worker and called her pcp to fill her in. 

The hospital will keep her a few more days and they would handle locating a placement. 
She asked did I pay M and did I put in the Costco order for my sister’s food and supplies like she normally does at the start of the month. 
(No mommy I just didn’t pay M and my sister will starve to death😂😂

She thinks UM (my bff’s retired firefighter uncle who carried her down the stairs) is good looking and she often forgets because she doesn’t see him often😂😂😂. I cannot think of UM that way. 

My little Mommy is back and I’m so happy. A load off of my heart. I did take her tea, gum, lip balm, foot balm, her glasses and a few clothes. And shoes. I’m always after her to exfoliate because her skin is so dry and she was teasing me to leave her toes alone. She needs a pedicure after all this!! 

I'm so happy for both of you. Wishing good health and peace to you and your family.  Plain and furry.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Big mess in this neck of the woods with a major wind/ rainstorm and the town dam giving way and taking the local electrical substation offline. Melted all the snow that was still on the ground from Monday, too, so it's very wet. Mandatory evacuations in certain areas due to flash flooding. Luckily, we live near the top of a good size hill, so that sort of thing doesn't really affect us. We were just talking the other day, though, about how we are lucky that our small-town electric company is always so good about getting lost power back (as opposed to most of the rest of Connecticut and surrounding states), but it could be a while this time. We have not lost power for more than a couple of hours in the 11 years we have lived here, but it's been out for some 9 hours now, and they don't know how long it will take to clean up the substation and get it back up and running. They should be able to divert power from somewhere else at some point, though. Luckily, we have two propane fireplaces and a propane stove, though, so we can stay reasonably comfortable for the time being. 

Crazy how some areas went to bed with a foot of snow on the ground and woke up to almost none.

Hoping your power is restored soon.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Big mess in this neck of the woods with a major wind/ rainstorm and the town dam giving way and taking the local electrical substation offline. Melted all the snow that was still on the ground from Monday, too, so it's very wet. Mandatory evacuations in certain areas due to flash flooding. Luckily, we live near the top of a good size hill, so that sort of thing doesn't really affect us. We were just talking the other day, though, about how we are lucky that our small-town electric company is always so good about getting lost power back.

That is more than lucky. Probably better planning and maintenance by your electricity provider.

Ours goes out in storms, or wind, or clear blue skies with no weather event. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes days. We have had a manual start generator that can run the house since we were building it 40 yrs ago. We have talked recently about installing a Generac because the latest pull start one is not always easy for me to start on my own. (but so much better than the old one) I can usually get the thing going now, but it is a challenge.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1

Hope your power comes back on soon, Jyn! Mine was out on and off for 6 hours yesterday. We had a little winter precipitation but heavy gusts of wind. I assumed a line was down, but I ended up talking to a dispatch guy for the utility company about halfway through and he told me it was something in one of the substations. I was reminded of what a small town I live in when the dispatch guy told me the name of the person who lives nearest the substation, and I knew exactly where they were working. LOLOL 

• LOL 12

Sorry @oliviabenson, and anyone else who wants to know the information about the “spicy” book I shared with my book club . I’ve been away from the forum for a few days. The name of the book is “Neon Gods” by Katee Roberts. (Yes, the protagonists are Greek gods, which is what made me interested.) But don’t say I didn’t warn you! 🤣😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

Sorry @oliviabenson, and anyone else who wants to know the information about the “spicy” book I shared with my book club . I’ve been away from the forum for a few days. The name of the book is “Neon Gods” by Katee Roberts. (Yes, the protagonists are Greek gods, which is what made me interested.) But don’t say I didn’t warn you! 🤣😂

Thank you! 

• Like 1

The book club at my library is ultimately administered by the state library system, so the book club attendees get to select titles they find interesting, but the actual decision on what is read and the order they come in is controlled by the state. I don't attend, but I work when they meet and I always like eavesdropping on their meetings. They had one run where it was months of the world's most depressing WWII novels on end. They were all ready to crack. LOL 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
32 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I could not be in that book club, @Zella. I need my books to be more fun or at least uplifting. All the light we cannot see almost did me in.

I think they're more strategic with what they select now to ensure it's a wider variety that's coming, regardless of how the state schedules it. They've not complained about it in a while. I wondered if the state had multiple book clubs ready to revolt. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 6
21 hours ago, Love2dance said:

lol! I had the same experience with that book: was interested in the retelling of the Greek mythological romances, was surprised by the… well, you know. It’s not well marked as far as content goes, which is a shame both for people who want that style and for people who don’t. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I may have cabin fever. We're having a spell of subzero temperatures here. Just another example of the severe winter weather that's hammering so many areas in the US right now. I'm so thankful that I don't have to get out there, and I can relax in my warm safe home. My neighbor, who's younger than me and quite fit, said that she had an appointment yesterday and so had to go out, but even all bundled up, it was so cold it hurt to breathe. The worst of the cold will be over about mid-morning Tuesday. 48 hours to go!

In the meantime. The reason I think I have cabin fever is that when I saw this on my FB feed, I laughed out loud.

rearw.thumb.jpg.fd80d9ef070bd3465f01124b427d328c.jpg

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 23
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

My phone storage is full. I’m trying to delete pictures and they are still there. And now my phone is acting up. I might have to factory reset it. Sigh.

I'm sorry that is happening to you. I pay 99cents a month for extra storage. I made a couple of albums and then tried to delete the pics in my regular library. Nope! It would delete them in both places, which I don't think is fair. I should probably just print the ones I like that are in my iPhone albums and then go ahead and delete. I have way too many pics on my phone!

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I may have cabin fever. We're having a spell of subzero temperatures here. Just another example of the severe winter weather that's hammering so many areas in the US right now. I'm so thankful that I don't have to get out there, and I can relax in my warm safe home. My neighbor, who's younger than me and quite fit, said that she had an appointment yesterday and so had to go out, but even all bundled up, it was so cold it hurt to breathe. The worst of the cold will be over about mid-morning Tuesday. 48 hours to go!

In the meantime. The reason I think I have cabin fever is that when I saw this on my FB feed, I laughed out loud.

rearw.thumb.jpg.fd80d9ef070bd3465f01124b427d328c.jpg

Yeah it’s cold in Chicago right now, -4F/-20C. This morning I told Cosmo “we are going around the block to potty and we are coming right back!”

It’s too cold even for Cosmo. I’ve got two layers of polyester loungers ( Star Wars & Harry Potter) I got as Xmas gifts the last couple of years. I know these things will stink to high Heaven when I take them off this even but dang they are soft and keep me so warm. 

Pictures of Lady Reese enjoying her fav winter time spot. It must be how the light hits it in the winter time. 

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 11
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I'm no government conspiracy theorist, but the idea of the state controlling what I read in a book club is alarming to say the least.

I'm not following your interpretation. It's a book club system administered by the state's library system that libraries can opt-in to. It's not mandatory to participate, and it's hardly the only access to reading these people have. If you are part of it, you get to rank your preferences for future books, but you are the mercy of them handling logistics of or dozens of other library-affiliated book clubs.

They're not censoring what people are reading, but you're warned up front that new books in high demand are not guaranteed until they have some age on them and that you are at the mercy of other people returning their books to the system in time for them to come to your group. It can be amusingly inconvenient at times, as my anecdote illustrated, but it's hardly Orwellian or sinister. In fact, it actually is a wonderful resource for small, poor libraries that may not be able to regularly afford buying a dozen copies of relatively new literary-ish fiction a month for their book club. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 15
  • Useful 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Sorry, and thanks for elaborating further.

When I read sentences like the actual decision on what is read and the order they come in is controlled by the state, my mind goes to what goes on in dystopian novels like Fahrenheit 451, The Handmaid's Tale, 1984, Clockwork Orange, and so on.

And within context of the entire post, that parallel is clearly not the case. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Zella said:

And within context of the entire post, that parallel is clearly not the case. 

Again, I apologize.

I have deleted my posts to the extent it is possible.

I certainly did not intend to upset or hurt anybody.  I obviously was not able to explain myself or apologize in an adequate way.  I'm so sorry.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 4

Just pure silliness for you all.

My two grandboys are crazed sports fans and have become convinced I am somehow able to jinx teams by cheering for them. They facetime and tell me who to cheer for so their teams will win.

The jinx has been right 4 out of 5 football games in the past week. Sorry to any who are Washington U, Browns, Rams or Cowboys fans. Even my jinx abilities were too weak to help the Dolphins beat the Chiefs.

(the jinx theory started with the NCAA basketball brackets last year where my opening round had 30 losers to 2 winners)

• Like 4
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Just pure silliness for you all.

My two grandboys are crazed sports fans and have become convinced I am somehow able to jinx teams by cheering for them. They facetime and tell me who to cheer for so their teams will win.

The jinx has been right 4 out of 5 football games in the past week. Sorry to any who are Washington U, Browns, Rams or Cowboys fans. Even my jinx abilities were too weak to help the Dolphins beat the Chiefs.

(the jinx theory started with the NCAA basketball brackets last year where my opening round had 30 losers to 2 winners)

I love this story! How old are the grandboys? Sounds like you have a really fun rapport with them!

• Like 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I love this story! How old are the grandboys? Sounds like you have a really fun rapport with them!

They are upper elementary age.  It is fun to have goofy things like this we can talk about. I like sports and humoring them by cheering against their teams.

They were here recently for a game, we had all their favorite game day snack foods. At one point the younger one told me "You needed to get out here and pay more attention to your cheering" I said "Go Defense!!" Their team gained 60yds on the next play. 😂

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 1
  • LOL 14

Anyone else sad at the loss of the Royals forum with the ascension of the new king and queen of Denmark?  I keep thinking of the insightful discussion and fashion posts it would have generated. 

• Like 21
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Anyone have any remedies for a nasty cold? Theraflu and Nyquil aren't working. My head is so stuffed up that I haven't slept well for days. My sinuses are running like a sieve, and yesterday I developed a dry cough. 

I guess the good news is that it isn't covid. Still sick as a dog, though, and I am a shitty patient. 😕

• Hugs 15
7 hours ago, awaken said:

Anyone else sad at the loss of the Royals forum with the ascension of the new king and queen of Denmark?  I keep thinking of the insightful discussion and fashion posts it would have generated. 

I miss it terribly. Also I would have loved seeing all the jewels that would have come out of the royal vaults. 

@Salacious Kitty I’m sorry that you have the respiratory nasty that seems to be going around. My friends have said a humidifier in their bedroom helped. Drink plenty of liquids. Feel better soon **hugs from a distance** 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

I've tried the "I don't have a humidifier" trick. Spicy foods. Nothing helps. I guess I am thankful that there was a good deal on Kleenex on Amazon once upon a time. I'm blowing through it at an alarming pace. I am thankful that we're not victims of the polar vortex. 👍

• Like 7
11 hours ago, awaken said:

This YouTuber did a very nice video on it if you care to check it out. I like her stuff a lot. 

New King & Queen Consort of Denmark

• Useful 6
19 hours ago, crazy8s said:

So you're the one that made our magic Browns team lose... 🏈

• LOL 11
5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Well the boys certainly believe so.

Sorry to all football fans in the great state of Pennsylvania for last night. I was cheering both the Steelers and the Eagles.

They have gotten more strategic in their requests now. They are cheering for the Lions. So they are weighing the jinx they ask for and having me use the jinx on whichever team they believe would be harder for the Lions to beat. 😂

• LOL 9
14 hours ago, awaken said:

I really miss that aspect of it.  I haven't found anywhere else on line that had so much available all in 1 place.  I did see an article on Mary's gown for the coronation ceremony, but the photos weren't great.  The Danes don't do the big public coronation like the Brits, so the news is less.

2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Now we know who to blame!

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

saw the ENT regarding the 20 decible hearing loss and she wasnt too impressed. she said not to be too worried at this point. i had the test done at costco so i am repeating it with the audiologist in feb and we will see what that shows. it could be normal aging loss of hearing tho. i felt relieved when i left there.

• Like 9