Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Consumed

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Good to see y'all - I'm working on the road this week (in Oakland, CA at present), and it's really impinging on my internet rec time to an irritating degree. :)

And I've long laughed at the notion of the American tv audience being fine with watching blood and body parts flying about the screen, but showing people having normal sex deserves pearl clutching?  It really does amuse me.

Well, both Andrea and Shane appeared pretty amused at her clutching his pearls, so I guess that's only fair.... ;>

• Love 3

Considering Slabtown is one of the seasons highest rated episodes I doubt Beth hate coould break the internet.

To be fair, Slabtown was only the 4th episode of the season and was the only one that offered anything particularly new story-wise since the premiere (since TPTB kind of ended the Terminus story). I think even if people don't particularly care for the character of Beth, they'd be interested in this new group the show was introducing...

Sure and I would agree with that assessment but I don't equate that with "She's tough...she saved herself". The latter part really puzzles me.

If he'd said "she's strong; she's a fighter", I'd understand that comment after their time together.

I think it was their time together that made him say that. She was insistent on the idea that she'd survived even when many felt she couldn't. I think it's his way of honoring her. It's likely also some projection on his part, since he likely feels he never has managed to save himself and other people define him. 

To add more context to the situation.  Unlike Dale (who wanted to keep Andrea's gun from her) and Lori (who wanted Andrea to do what a woman should), Shane took Andrea out and taught her how to shoot.  I've only seen the episode once, but I thought the sex was after a satisfying day of target practice.  Andrea initiated, and Shane seemed pleased to go along with it.  I think Andrea was drawn to Shane because she felt he treated her like an equal, rather than a fragile flower he needed to protect.  I never got the impression that they were more than fuck buddies.

I think the idea was Andrea showing she could be tough and free, like one of the boys. By this time she was already becoming unpopular with many fans, because she accidentally shot Daryl (who was then at his most isolated as a character) and she mostly spent her scenes trying to show how independent and brave she was, with no other characterization.

The show seemed to be setting up a situation where she sided with Shane, and Lori with Rick, with the two women as something of rivals. I always wondered if they initially planned to give her Carol's odd role in the finale of saying Shane had been right and they needed a new leader, but instead decided to pair her with Michonne instead, as it was a way to introduce new characters and stories and a way to further develop her as the lead female (funny how things go...).

• Love 2

I think it was their time together that made him say that. She was insistent on the idea that she'd survived even when many felt she couldn't. I think it's his way of honoring her. It's likely also some projection on his part, since he likely feels he never has managed to save himself and other people define him. 

I think the idea was Andrea showing she could be tough and free, like one of the boys. By this time she was already becoming unpopular with many fans, because she accidentally shot Daryl (who was then at his most isolated as a character) and she mostly spent her scenes trying to show how independent and brave she was, with no other characterization.

The show seemed to be setting up a situation where she sided with Shane, and Lori with Rick, with the two women as something of rivals. I always wondered if they initially planned to give her Carol's odd role in the finale of saying Shane had been right and they needed a new leader, but instead decided to pair her with Michonne instead, as it was a way to introduce new characters and stories and a way to further develop her as the lead female (funny how things go...).

It'd be fun, and informative, if we could have a Q&A with the writers.  You know they have all these things mapped out (storyboards), maybe not in grand detail, but then something comes up that causes them to deviate.  I also wonder how much "influence" fan forums have on the writing process?

• Love 1

Zero (if you ask them). TWD is in the somewhat fortunate position of having a great deal of source material available. Almost too much maybe. There's gotta be some difficulty in paring the stories down; deviating from the GN, etc.

• Love 3

Can't believe how great it felt to get our heroes out of the woods for an episode. The change of scene from the rural setting was very welcome. I don't want the action to stay there, really. I just liked the city setting for a change.

Possibly unpopular opinion here. Of all of the characters we didn't check in with in this Daryl-Carol side trip, I missed Glenn and Maggie the least. I know they're major players and we'll see them reunited with the gang soon. I don't dislike them. I just feel as though their story is played out. I don't feel like I need to know more about them.

• Love 5

Possibly unpopular opinion here. Of all of the characters we didn't check in with in this Daryl-Carol side trip, I missed Glenn and Maggie the least. I know they're major players and we'll see them reunited with the gang soon. I don't dislike them. I just feel as though their story is played out. I don't feel like I need to know more about them.

I'll go one further: I actively don't give a fuck about Glenn and Maggie anymore. TPTB have, for some reason, decided to make them some weird kind of isolated unit. Gone are the frequent interactions with other characters. Tara gets a word in here and there, but otherwise, it's just Glenn and Maggie, Maggie and Glenn.

You would never know that Maggie's father was brutally murdered, like, a week ago and her sister is missing. Her sole focus appears to be Glenn.

• Love 13

I still care about Glenn. We saw a little bit of his old dry humor in Self Help. But he's hanging by a thread with me, and unless they do something major with Maggie I'm just about over her. And I always liked Maggie. So it's sad. 

• Love 5

To be fair, Slabtown was only the 4th episode of the season and was the only one that offered anything particularly new story-wise since the premiere (since TPTB kind of ended the Terminus story). I think even if people don't particularly care for the character of Beth, they'd be interested in this new group the show was introducing...

I think that might be part if it but the episode was marketed almost entirely on the "Wheres Beth". I just think supports what I've said elsewhere that internet popularity and popularity in the overall audience are two different things and don't always corelate. Afterall if we were basing ratings on this board Consumed and Slabtown would have very different.

Honestly in Glenns case it a lack of storyline more than anything. I thought the other day this episode would have been so much more interesting if it had been Glenn and Daryl going after Beth. 1 Glenn has a connection to Beth so would have an actual interest in mission instead of standing there looking apathetic 2 Glenn and Daryls relationship has never really been explored which makes for a meatier character story 3 Glenn clearly knows Atlanta so he could have actual affected the plot instead of just whining about the same old crap. 4 Even the previous episode might have improved if it had been Maggie standing up to Dolphin smooth on her own.

• Love 1

I'll go one further: I actively don't give a fuck about Glenn and Maggie anymore. TPTB have, for some reason, decided to make them some weird kind of isolated unit. Gone are the frequent interactions with other characters. Tara gets a word in here and there, but otherwise, it's just Glenn and Maggie, Maggie and Glenn.

You would never know that Maggie's father was brutally murdered, like, a week ago and her sister is missing. Her sole focus appears to be Glenn.

I'll go the other way: Being separated from the others is one of the main reasons I'm still invested in Glenn. I can't really remember the last time I had any strong interest in any role Glenn had in the group. I'd say it was in season 1. I vastly preferred his relationships with Hershel (RIP) and Maggie, and now Tara. I want more for the character, but I like seeing him come to an understanding with Abraham, while still clearly being a little disturbed by the weirdness that is Abraham. Glenn is, other than Tyreese (maybe), the only major male character who could interact with Abraham in a way that isn't tedious measuring contests. 

I don't really need Maggie to mention Hershel. She was clearly affected by his loss. If it was brought up again and again I'd just see it as telling instead of showing. 

Beth is a different situation because she's still on the show, so having Maggie never mention her seems like sloppy writing and makes the character look bad.

Honestly in Glenns case it a lack of storyline more than anything. I thought the other day this episode would have been so much more interesting if it had been Glenn and Daryl going after Beth. 1 Glenn has a connection to Beth so would have an actual interest in mission instead of standing there looking apathetic 2 Glenn and Daryls relationship has never really been explored which makes for a meatier character story 3 Glenn clearly knows Atlanta so he could have actual affected the plot instead of just whining about the same old crap. 4 Even the previous episode might have improved if it had been Maggie standing up to Dolphin smooth on her own.

I haven't seen Glenn whining about that much.

Glenn and Maggie should have been involved in the Beth story. I wish they had been, somewhere. But I'm glad this episode was Daryl and Carol. I think the characters needed an episode on their own, not for shipping reasons (not that there's anything wrong with shipping, I just don't ship them), but so we could see where their heads are. We got a look into Daryl's head we'd never get if anyone else had been with him.

• Love 2

I also wonder how much "influence" fan forums have on the writing process?

As a writer who occasionally interacted with fans (at book-signings and conventions), I suspect -- and honestly hope -- the answer is "almost none."

• Love 5

At this point, and I never thought I would say this, but I'm actually more interested in hearing from Tara than from Maggie.

Maggie disappoints me. I very much admired her growth from a  kind of goofy, man-hungry farmer's daughter to a strong-willed warrior woman. Now she seems to want nothing but to cuddle with Glenn and I do understand that to a point, since he's really the only person she has left to hold on to but it's making her so dreary.

Maybe now that they've found out that Abraham appears to be a whacka-doodle, she'll find that strength in herself again and they won't all just mill around waiting for direction.

• Love 1

I'll go the other way: Being separated from the others is one of the main reasons I'm still invested in Glenn. I can't really remember the last time I had any strong interest in any role Glenn had in the group. I'd say it was in season 1. I vastly preferred his relationships with Hershel (RIP) and Maggie, and now Tara. I want more for the character, but I like seeing him come to an understanding with Abraham, while still clearly being a little disturbed by the weirdness that is Abraham. Glenn is, other than Tyreese (maybe), the only major male character who could interact with Abraham in a way that isn't tedious measuring contests.

I don't really need Maggie to mention Hershel. She was clearly affected by his loss. If it was brought up again and again I'd just see it as telling instead of showing.

Beth is a different situation because she's still on the show, so having Maggie never mention her seems like sloppy writing and makes the character look bad.

I haven't seen Glenn whining about that much.

Glenn and Maggie should have been involved in the Beth story. I wish they had been, somewhere. But I'm glad this episode was Daryl and Carol. I think the characters needed an episode on their own, not for shipping reasons (not that there's anything wrong with shipping, I just don't ship them), but so we could see where their heads are. We got a look into Daryl's head we'd never get if anyone else had been with him.

I wasn't reffering to Glenn whining I was referring to the fact th Carol spent most of this episode whinig about a whole bunch of stuff she has been moaning about forever. At this point that all her navel gazing feels like because there is zero forward motion H er speech about Karvid was only different from the one from Indifference because of the metaphor she used . I don't begrudge Carol for mourning I just feel like if she blames everyone but herself for what shes done. She talks about wanting to "do something" but can't seem to grasp that the only person making Carol miserable right now is herself.Worst of all I could have told you that 5 episodes ago. For me the only way this episode is redeemable is if its Carols swan song.

I don't really feel we got anything out of Daryl except for the moment with the book. Which could have been even better with Glenn because getting acceptance from someone who comes from a different background would be a big step to Daryl accepting it himself. Especially considering Glenn has always looked up to Daryl. Having Daryl see that Glenn can know Daryls truth and still do that might help Daryl realize there isn't anything to be ashamed of. It would even give Glenn a chance to show how much maturity and growth hes had.

Edited by Emily Thrace

I think that might be part if it but the episode was marketed almost entirely on the "Wheres Beth". I just think supports what I've said elsewhere that internet popularity and popularity in the overall audience are two different things and don't always corelate. Afterall if we were basing ratings on this board Consumed and Slabtown would have very different.

I would think that Carol and Beth have a strong connection. They've probably spent a lot of time together being the care-takers of the group.

• Love 2

I loved that they placed a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the dash of the van.  Perhaps she guided the van to land on its wheels.

Swear to god I couldn't see that without hearing "Plastic Jesus" in the back of my head.

• Love 4

Actually, the promos I saw for Slabtown had the tagline "WHO TOOK BETH?" so I felt that the focus was on TPTB teasing solving the mystery they introduced near the end of last season, which would (IMO) pique viewers' interest, regardless of their opinion of Beth.

I agree that it would have been nice to have Glenn be part of the rescue mission (though I do like Daryl and Carol time). He saved Rick's ass back in Atlanta, so he probably would have had some good ideas. And it would have been nice to have had Maggie involved since Beth is her sister. Alas, TPTB did not want it that way. :(

Now I'm imaging Beth being rescued and her asking where Maggie is. Heh. Oh, the awkwardness! Who gets to tell her "oh yeah, um, she left with Glenn. Didn't even mention you at all as she left." Ouch. ;)

• Love 5

I was re-watching the episode today and gotta admit I really hated that song that played in the opening scene. For a moment I thought is was some acoustic version of "Livin on a Prayer" but then it kept going on and on about "baaaaadd bloooood" I knew it was even worse. Perfectly good montage ruined by an awful song. 

I love this post! And it pains me to say that because Glenn was my favorite male character for a long time. JFC the lack of Hershel and Beth mentions between Gleggie is glaring and infuriating. They are a perfect example of why I hate shipping on this show and why I would be perfectly happy if there are no more attempts at "romance".

• Love 3

I rewatched last night. I know we've been talking about callbacks to season one in this season, and I noticed something else last night. After the physics-defying van crash, as Daryl and Carol are walking away, there's a walker missing its lower half, just writhing on the ground. It may not have been intentional, but it reminded me of Bicycle Girl.

• Love 3

I noticed that too and I do think it's intentional. It's like they're bringing this larger arc full circle, S1 to S5, Atlanta to Atlanta, in preparation for something totally new, which I am more than ready for....

• Love 3

I was re-watching the episode today and gotta admit I really hated that song that played in the opening scene. For a moment I thought is was some acoustic version of "Livin on a Prayer" but then it kept going on and on about "baaaaadd bloooood" I knew it was even worse. Perfectly good montage ruined by an awful song.

It just goes to show, we're all different...I loved the song and -- after watching "Crossed" for the 6th time last night -- went looking for it first thing this morning: it's Bad Blood by Alison Mosshart & Eric Arjes.

My all-time favorite is still Blackbird Song (aka Bob's Theme) by Lee DeWyze. I'm also partial to Citizen by Wye Oak, and of course Oats in the Water (aka Hershel's Theme) by Ben Howard, but over the years there have been MANY songs that I've enjoyed, bought, and listen to on a regular basis.

• Love 4

I'll have to relisten to that song. Most of the music in past seasons has really wowed me, but I haven't bought any yet this year. Listening to my playlist now in fact.

In fact the Guv's episode was watchable for me only because I love The Last Pale Light in the West so much.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

It just goes to show, we're all different...I loved the song and -- after watching "Crossed" for the 6th time last night -- went looking for it first thing this morning: it's Bad Blood by Alison Mosshart & Eric Arjes.

My all-time favorite is still Blackbird Song (aka Bob's Theme) by Lee DeWyze. I'm also partial to Citizen by Wye Oak, and of course Oats in the Water (aka Hershel's Theme) by Ben Howard, but over the years there have been MANY songs that I've enjoyed, bought, and listen to on a regular basis.

Oh definitely. Reading this forum and others I've noticed that many people loved the song. It's just not my kind of music. The lyrics, while heavy handed, fit Carol pretty well but the singer grated. I do agree with you that Civilian by Wye Oak was really good. Although those lyrics were a bit nonsensical, too.

• Love 1

In fact the Guv's episode was watchable for me only because I love The Last Pale Light in the West so much.

The song was definitely the high point of that episode for me.

Although I don't recall all the music, I think my favorite might be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8djkXC6Gg

Another fantastic song, very evocative.

This interview with the show's music supervisor, Thomas Golubic, might be of interest: http://radio.com/2014/03/31/walking-dead-season-4-music-best-of-interview/

And of course, when it comes to the score, Bear McCreary is an absolute genius...

• Love 3

I miss them a lot. Because their story is not played out. But we haven't seen Glenn and Maggie as characters together, really, for any amount of time, since Season 3. They haven't organically become boring through, say, plot development. They've simply been sidelined, for the same reason that Sasha gets like two words of dialogue a week. 

Rick is the Leader, Abraham is/was the Other Leader. Carol is the Sneak Vigilante. Daryl might be awesome if Rick dies, but that's not gonna happen, so Daryl is sentenced to an eternity as Insecure But Otherwise Competent Henchman.

Glenn and Maggie, though, are smart, tough, pragmatic, empathic, versatile, sane (aka not really worried about where Beth went...) ultimately, they're just too balanced overall to plausibly give them a lot of screentime as Rick's dumb sidekicks, but they're too popular to kill off, so their story just keeps getting shoved back out of the way of "important" story info, like "Rick likes to make speeches," or "Eugene is full of shit," or "Michonne still has a katana. To use against zombies whose skulls you can shatter by throwing a TicTac at them."

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

I echo the sentiment about the song. I really dislike the song selections on this show. Why is it that in the zombie apocalypse the only music remaining are cheesy emo acoustic rock ballads that sound like they were all recorded by Nickelback, Staind and Papa Roach in 2000? I would appreciate some Motown, classical, R&B and happy pop tunes in the ZA too, thank you very much.

Carol and Daryl need to have sex and get it over with. In the scene where she chose the top bunk and said she would take first watch, she was clearly waiting for Daryl to make his move, but he just sat down on the bed and sulked like a little boy.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 3

This interview with the show's music supervisor, Thomas Golubic, might be of interest: http://radio.com/2014/03/31/walking-dead-season-4-music-best-of-interview/

And of course, when it comes to the score, Bear McCreary is an absolute genius...

Wow, that was a really interesting read! Thanks for sharing it.

I had tix to a music festival this past spring and Motörhead were in the lineup. I was so looking forward to hearing "Fast and Loose" live because I will always associate it with TWD. Unfortunately they had to pull out and were replaced by Anthrax, who really killed it, but it just wasn't the same.

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 3

In the scene where she chose the top bunk and said she would take first watch, she was clearly waiting for Daryl to make his move

I think Carol is going to have to make the moves. After she said that, she went and sat next to him. That wasn't enough and neither was her lying down beside him in what he should have taken as an invitation, IMO. It's getting beyond ridiculous.

• Love 3

I echo the sentiment about the song. I really dislike the song selections on this show. Why is it that in the zombie apocalypse the only music remaining are cheesy emo acoustic rock ballads that sound like they were all recorded by Nickelback, Staind and Papa Roach in 2000? I would appreciate some Motown, classical, R&B and happy pop tunes in the ZA too, thank you very much.

Carol and Daryl need to have sex and get it over with. In the scene where she chose the top bunk and said she would take first watch, she was clearly waiting for Daryl to make his move, but he just sat down on the bed and sulked like a little boy.

Ahh, you make me remember X-files. The R&B oldies they mixed in were magical. 

Like Norman Reedus said, Daryl has absolutely no game and the woman is going to have to make the first move.  Right now Carol has her head up her butt----and though I say that, I don't mean it in a derogatory way, really.  She's struggling to deal with having to execute a child she loved, which is no small thing.   When she's finally able to spill it, hopefully she'll start to heal.  And maybe the old Carol will come back---the Carol who could laugh and flirt, and the Carol who missed her vibrator.

If that Carol had been present when Daryl sat down on the bunk with biceps a-blazin', she might have been more in the mood to take the bull by the horns...so to speak. 

• Love 6

He didn't just sit down on the bunk, they were lying on it side by side like a couple of frightened teenagers. Annoying. Also been a Motorhead fan for a long time; I've been backstage & partied with Lemmy several times (those days are over, sigh). He was a real gentleman. One of the first times we were back there he opened my bottle of strongbow with his ace of spades belt buckle. True story.

• Love 7

Why is it that in the zombie apocalypse the only music remaining are cheesy emo acoustic rock ballads that sound like they were all recorded by Nickelback, Staind and Papa Roach in 2000? I would appreciate some Motown, classical, R&B and happy pop tunes in the ZA too, thank you very much.

Ha, "emo acoustic rock ballads" is a  perfect description for most of the show's song choices.

Ahh, you make me remember X-files. The R&B oldies they mixed in were magical. 

Yes, I loved their eclectic & varied use of songs. And only the X-Files could make Johnny Mathis' "Wonderful" creepy as all hell.

• Love 2

He didn't just sit down on the bunk, they were lying on it side by side like a couple of frightened teenagers. Annoying.

Honestly, you'd think with this opportunity ( and privacy AND a real bed) they might want to forget all the horrors of what they've done and seen and just want to find comfort and lose themselves for a little while. Ugh.

And only the X-Files could make Johnny Mathis' "Wonderful" creepy as all hell.

It's all about the context, isn't it? The movie "Blue Velvet" made that song and Roy Orbison's lovely "In Dreams" very eerie and freaky too.

• Love 2

It's all about the context, isn't it? The movie "Blue Velvet" made that song and Roy Orbison's lovely "In Dreams" very eerie and freaky too.

"Blue Velvet" is one of my favorite movies of all time, definitely my favorite David Lynch movie, but it turned "In Dreams" into a nightmare song for me. Not just when Dean Stockwell's Ben was lip syncing it for Frank Booth, but when Frank Booth was reciting the lyrics as the hooker danced to it on the roof of the car... Jeesh. And it's such a beautiful song, too!

I really liked last season when they used the Mountain Goats song "Up the Wolves", even if it was in that godawful episode "Still." The Mountain Goats are amazing.

• Love 1

"Blue Velvet" is one of my favorite movies of all time

Mine too, although it seriously freaked me out. It also revived Roy Orbison's career, bringing a whole new audience to his music, although his pleasure in that was sadly short-lived. "In Dreams" still makes me tear up.

Forgot to say:

This interview with the show's music supervisor, Thomas Golubic, might be of interest: http://radio.com/201...t-of-interview/

Thanks. That was a nice read, especially (for me) the Bob Dylan part. Sounds as though he may be a fan of the show!

• Love 1

Also been a Motorhead fan for a long time; I've been backstage & partied with Lemmy several times (those days are over, sigh). He was a real gentleman. One of the first times we were back there he opened my bottle of strongbow with his ace of spades belt buckle. True story.

Color me jealous. 

If they ever figure out a way to work in Five Finger Death Punch I will be one happy little mouse.

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 1

Well... I can understand the whole "friends don't let friends listen to Nickelback", although I don't subscribe to it. 

Happy pop tunes, though? 

In a zombie apocalypse?

Maybe it's just me, but somehow the mental picture of Rick&Co headstaking a not-feeling-quite-so-fresh bunch of greenies to the tune of Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" just doesn't  seem to get the job done. 

YMMV

• Love 4

Well... I can understand the whole "friends don't let friends listen to Nickelback", although I don't subscribe to it. 

Happy pop tunes, though? 

In a zombie apocalypse?

I was trying to think what music would still exist in a ZA when there is no radio to sing along to and sadly in my ZA the only songs I'd be able to remember well enough to sing from memory would be:

"...the wheels on the bus go round and round..."

"...rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."

"...row row row your boat..."

"---the itsy bitsy bitsy spider..."

"...greasy grimy gopher guts.."

The music of my ZA are nursery rhymes.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5