Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Except...I don't buy Eric was some great love of Nicole's, and all the warping of other characters (hi, Brady!) to make it so just doesn't wash with me. Most other times Nicole had the opportunity to be with Eric, she chose money and/or other men over him. 

AZ / Nicole has always said in interviews Eric was her first love and special to her and that was what she wanted to convey, so I’m probably influenced by having read and heard that so long. I always do that! 😂  Like if an actor says they are wanting to put a certain slant on material I will try to find it. On that vein, it’s interesting so many including myself see a distinction between how KM and MM portrayals as Abby.  KM herself noted it in a recent interview, stating  she’s always seen and acted Abby as assertive and confident and her Abby was similar to how MM played GABY. Besides stating she preferred different acting choices, she admitted she sees Abby very different than MM did. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

On that vein, it’s interesting so many including myself see a distinction between how KM and MM portrayals as Abby.  KM herself noted it in a recent interview, stating  she’s always seen and acted Abby as assertive and confident and her Abby was similar to how MM played GABY. Besides stating she preferred different acting choices, she admitted she sees Abby very different than MM did. 

Oh, yeah. I guess it's the nature of the soap beast, when you have different actors playing the same role. The actor presently in the role will bring qualities another actor didn't. The only drawback I can see there is depending on how a story is constructed and, in turn, what qualities that character needs at a certain juncture or whatever. But change is inevitable.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

AZ / Nicole has always said in interviews Eric was her first love and special to her and that was what she wanted to convey, so I’m probably influenced by having read and heard that so long. I always do that! 😂  Like if an actor says they are wanting to put a certain slant on material I will try to find it. On that vein, it’s interesting so many including myself see a distinction between how KM and MM portrayals as Abby.  KM herself noted it in a recent interview, stating  she’s always seen and acted Abby as assertive and confident and her Abby was similar to how MM played GABY. Besides stating she preferred different acting choices, she admitted she sees Abby very different than MM did. 

She says assertive and confident, I say smug and deluded. It is all a matter of perception.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

On that vein, it’s interesting so many including myself see a distinction between how KM and MM portrayals as Abby.  KM herself noted it in a recent interview, stating  she’s always seen and acted Abby as assertive and confident and her Abby was similar to how MM played GABY. Besides stating she preferred different acting choices, she admitted she sees Abby very different than MM did. 

Here's the interview, if anyone wants to read it:  https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/kate-mansi-opens-up-about-days-return/

• Love 4
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

Here's the interview, if anyone wants to read it:  https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/kate-mansi-opens-up-about-days-return/

Thanks, Buffy, I got a lot out of KM's interview! I loved that she spoke about the portrayals' differences in the same way @Petunia13 described. Also interesting that Kate Mansi needed some self-care and family after the darkness of the story she'd played as Abigail. The soap opera life is no picnic for an actor - its pace is relentless when you're in a primary story and the stories are usually very dark. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Gabby went from brown hair to black hair. I almost didn’t notice the switch. I think KM should have lighten the hair. It wouldn’t have been a big inconvenience. I’m not buying her as Gabby because MM made Gabby with a Y all her own. Although, I’m looking forward to the pickup scene on Monday with Gabby & Gabby. It gives me something to look forward to. I’m starting my vacation Monday and don’t go back to the New Year. Yahoo!!! I am interested to see how this all plays out along with all of the comings and goings of TC, KM, BF & BB. It’s like musical chairs in casting. 

The story was already bad, but having KM pick up the role of the Gabby alter is even worst. Ron should have scrapped that part of the story with Marci's exit. It's been a total fail. Now they have Stefan looking like some old pervert wanting some young girl parading around in some fake wig, and skin tight dresses.

It's sick and disgusting. This story needs to end. It's awful.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Sidney said:

The story was already bad, but having KM pick up the role of the Gabby alter is even worst. Ron should have scrapped that part of the story with Marci's exit. It's been a total fail. Now they have Stefan looking like some old pervert wanting some young girl parading around in some fake wig, and skin tight dresses.

It's sick and disgusting. This story needs to end. It's awful.

You’re right about TC looking so much older then KM. Which is odd because KM is 31 and MM is 29. I guess it’s because KM is smaller and skinnier. It looks like TC is hanging around a high school girl. Of course, it’s no body’s fault but you do see a major difference in everyone’s appearance. Also, KM really does look like CB from behind in the wig more-so then MM did. I think KM & CB are more similar in height and build. It’s all so crazy that a casting (from an original to a replacement back to an orignal) change is getting such a reaction from me. I need to get a life. LOL!!!!!!

• Love 9
Just now, ByaNose said:

Which is odd because KM is 31 and MM is 29. I guess it’s because KM is smaller and skinnier.

Is KM smaller and skinnier? MM actually seems much tinier to me. That might even be part of why her Abby seemed more timid that KM's did. I do agree though that MM came off older than KM.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, buffynut said:

Did the show do a "the role of Abigail is now being played by..." voiceover?  Or is that long since gone?

And, did anyone here NOT know Kate Mansi was returning?

No, we had to be subjected to watching her sitting in an corner with a blanket covering her body like a five year old. Then throwing her tray of food on the floor. It was so silly. Chad was probably wondering when he came to visit her was he talking to Thomas, or the mother of his child.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

You’re right about TC looking so much older then KM. Which is odd because KM is 31 and MM is 29. I guess it’s because KM is smaller and skinnier. It looks like TC is hanging around a high school girl. Of course, it’s no body’s fault but you do see a major difference in everyone’s appearance. Also, KM really does look like CB from behind in the wig more-so then MM did. I think KM & CB are more similar in height and build. It’s all so crazy that a casting (from an original to a replacement back to an orignal) change is getting such a reaction from me. I need to get a life. LOL!!!!!!

Do they screen test the actors even if it's a recast?  Watching TC and KM in   intimate scenes together is very uncomfortable to watch.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Relatedly, I loooved Gabi hitting on the idea of framing Stefan O. for the paternty test switcharoo.  My girl!

And she gets away with it.  I want for once Gabi to win just a little.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, yeah. I guess it's the nature of the soap beast, when you have different actors playing the same role. The actor presently in the role will bring qualities another actor didn't. The only drawback I can see there is depending on how a story is constructed and, in turn, what qualities that character needs at a certain juncture or whatever. But change is inevitable.

True, but, the essence of the character has to remain in the different actors who portray the same character.  Wayne's Roman and Drake's Roman were different, but, who Roman was remained in Drake's portrayal. Days has a habit of changing the character to fit the actor. I remember when Lauren took over the role of Kate from Deborah. She had an interview and she said that the producers gave her nothing to work with, she had light long hair at the time. So, to make the recast seamless for the audience and the Deborah Adair fans, she cut her hair , darkened it and watched tapes of Deborah. She even imitated Deborah's way of speaking as Kate.  It worked in my opinion, she is the best recast the show has ever had.. Marybeth Evans is also a great recast as Kayla, but the original actress was forgettable. The same with the previous actors who portrayed Jack.  Matthew Ashford is Jack.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is KM smaller and skinnier? MM actually seems much tinier to me. That might even be part of why her Abby seemed more timid that KM's did. I do agree though that MM came off older than KM.

MM does come off as older, but I blame the styling for that. They often dressed MM like a Little House on the Prairie character. Her makeup also seemed older. I'm not saying it made her look older, but it was a more subdued and restrained while her hair was usually styled rather blandly. KM, on the other hand, has posted photos of some of her set looks on Instagram and her styling is hipper and more modern. It looks like clothing young women would wear to day. Additionally, her makeup, while not as bold at Chloe's makeup, is still more dramatic, especially her eye makeup. KM looks more like how a woman in her late 20s would style herself today while they gave MM a look more suitable for a 30 something Charlie's Angel in its final season.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

And she gets away with it.  I want for once Gabi to win just a little.

I feel like Gabi has been winning for months! It's just a shitshow of a story as said earlier. Get it done, Ron, so we can all move on, lol. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bobcat1946 said:

That would only happen if her name was Gabi Horton and she was a Horton by birth.

Of course you know Gabi wil! Pay for her actions unlike abby who's never been had to face any consquences for anything she ever does.

• Love 9
On 12/8/2018 at 1:42 AM, annabel said:

Kate Mansi gives off the same vibe to me that Tamara Braun and Michelle Trachtenberg do, no matter who they're playing: that they think they are all that and a bag of chips, when really, they are not

amen. even in her interviews, mansi seems like she thinks way too much of herself. she is a really bad actress. why the hell did they ask her back. give the role to someone else. she sucks.

• Love 8
On 12/8/2018 at 10:55 AM, 4evaQuez said:

MM does come off as older, but I blame the styling for that. They often dressed MM like a Little House on the Prairie character. Her makeup also seemed older. I'm not saying it made her look older, but it was a more subdued and restrained while her hair was usually styled rather blandly. KM, on the other hand, has posted photos of some of her set looks on Instagram and her styling is hipper and more modern. It looks like clothing young women would wear to day. Additionally, her makeup, while not as bold at Chloe's makeup, is still more dramatic, especially her eye makeup. KM looks more like how a woman in her late 20s would style herself today while they gave MM a look more suitable for a 30 something Charlie's Angel in its final season.

more than older. i think mature is the word we are looking for. the past abby character is for lack of a better phrase, a slutty whore as acted my mansi, but marci's portrayal gave her some missing (and maybe undeserved?)class.

• Love 5

The way Abigail walked up the stairs at the Demira mansion made her look so defeated.  

Still find Ben creepy.  Hope is losing it she is so afraid of losing her daughter.  I can’t imagine any mother wanting their daughter with someone with Bens violent  history.   I feel so alone understanding her point of view LOL. 

I think besides old/new Abby looking younger whatever Stephan is doing with his hair ages him A LOT. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, tribeca said:

The way Abigail walked up the stairs at the Demira mansion made her look so defeated.  

Still find Ben creepy.  Hope is losing it she is so afraid of losing her daughter.  I can’t imagine any mother wanting their daughter with someone with Bens violent  history.   I feel so alone understanding her point of view LOL. 

I understand her point of view I just hate hope lol.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, tribeca said:

She wouldn't have been in this situation, if she just went to see the doctor that she agreed to and gotten herself evaluated.

Instead she got the bright idea to divorce Chad and marry Stefan secretly. That wasn't Gabi's or Stefan's idea, but Abby.

And then when she was institutionalized at Bayview, she was only locked up for a few days when she thought her brilliant idea of pretending to be Gabby so Stefan would get her out of her instead of letting the doctors evaluating her to see if her she is suffering currently from a mental disorder.

This stupid storyline would work a lot better if Abby would actually admit (even if it is only to herself) that the reason she rather do all these extreme things (marrying Stefan, faking to be Gabby) rather than have a doctor evaluate her is because she secretly fears that she is crazy. And that a doctor who is not her grandmother or Marlena who is sympathetic to her would see her for the crazy person that she fears herself to be.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, tribeca said:

I'm with you.

4 hours ago, nilyank said:

This stupid storyline would work a lot better if Abby would actually admit (even if it is only to herself) that the reason she rather do all these extreme things (marrying Stefan, faking to be Gabby) rather than have a doctor evaluate her is because she secretly fears that she is crazy. And that a doctor who is not her grandmother or Marlena who is sympathetic to her would see her for the crazy person that she fears herself to be.

Bingo. 

• Love 4

No idea where this should go, so I'll put it here, but let the mod in charge here do what they will!

I listen to various SiriusXM radio stations, some holiday themed. While listening to Rockin' Xmas, another channel, Hallmark Christmas Radio, was showing a song playing: Baby, It's Cold Outside - sung by Eric Martsolf and Jen Lilley!

As I don't care for the song (and no, not because of the recent controversy! Just was never into it...), I didn't listen. But hey, if you have a SiriusXM account, it may pop up again on Hallmark now and again if you are interested!

• Love 3

Today's episode was a pretty good one, I thought.  I really enjoyed the scene of Gabi & Gabby going face to face and seeing who was going to give in 1st...both actresses were really good in their intensity.  And then Gabby&Chad in each other's faces, Whoa, Billy Flynn was really sexy in that scene!  And then when Julie came flying into the mansion all upset and talking fast and then realizing that Gabby was really Abby...a good scene.  All in all, I enjoyed it(even Ciara & Ben talking about the reality of their relationship)

2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Heh at Julie's jubilation at having another reason to hate Gabi and having someone to go after her with.

Yea, Julie was a Hoot in that scene, flying into the mansion all distraught and then slowly realizing what Gabby/Abby was saying.

5 hours ago, buffynut said:

Found it on Youtube, if anyone is interested.

Despite the controversy over this song, I enjoyed hearing them sing together, Eric has a very sexy voice & Jen has a very sweet voice...wish we could get some Holiday singing on the show :)

• Love 2
On 12/6/2018 at 10:43 PM, boes said:

Brady is right, Eric can be a judgemental ass sometimes.  And I guess he "betrayed" his brother though Brady never realizes that it's oftentimes him being a giant putz that makes people move away from him.  As sanctimonious as Eric can be, I'm afraid Brady has been the bigger asshole over time

Yes. Eric is in a bad place due to his grief over Nicole and feeling betrayed by Brady. I'm a little more forgiving of that currently though if it goes on too long, my patience will be worn out. I say that as someone who was mostly indifferent to Ericole because I didn't like that Eric was too forgiving of Nicole's worst tendencies. (He didn't need to judge her or be overly harsh a la Brady to his many women but Eric was too quick to whitewash Nicole's bad behavior moments as being what people did to her vs what she did to others. Mileage varies, obviously). Brady's rap sheet of asshole behavior is a lot longer. I'm not a fan of self-righteous characters even though Eric isn't quite there for me like say Rafe or Hope or Julie but Brady really should sit in a corner quietly on this topic considering how many folks, especially women, he's gone out of his way to hurt when he's in his feelings. 

I'm not feeling the Rope "angst." Not just cause I don't care about the pairing but because I have no one to root for in that Rafe/Hope/Ted story though if I had to pick one, it would be Ted just cause he's the one I don't dislike or want punched in the face.

When Abby was talking about how hard it was to be separated from her children for a few days, I thought it would have been a good time for some self-reflection dialogue about how Gabi must have felt being away from her child for months, but alas no. Abby is only petulant and self-righteous that Gabi still hasn't forgiven Abby for framing Gabi which not only took her from Ari G with the prison stint but also cause her likely sterilization from a beating. Also, that Gabby wig on KM is hilariously awful. 

Days needs to bring back the living room and kitchen area of the young'uns apartment cause folks barging in or having long conversations in Ciara's bedroom is just weird. 

• Love 5

I only caught the last 15 minutes or so, and I just can't stand KM's Abigail.  I so wish they could have kept MM just a few more months. She would have made those scenes with Julie, so much better. And in all fairness to KM, coming back into the role of Abigail and having to portray 2 versions of her, must have been a challenge. And, IMO, one she wasn't up to.

• Love 8

Also, that Gabby wig on KM is hilariously awful. 

I've only seen three scenes with KM in them - her hiding under a blanket in the mental institution (!!!!), and then her ripping into Chad and then asking for Julie's help today - and I'm loving this. I'm loving that they brought back the worst actress to play this character - the one who arguably derailed the hell out of her - to jump headlong into the worst storyline she's ever had, while wearing an absurd wig and and making insane decisions all the while acting as though she's the innocent victim. It's making me laugh so hard whenever I catch a glimpse. Such a shit show! *applauds*

I'm sure in the end they'll do a couple of sappy "Happily Ever After" reconciliation episodes before it wraps where Abby will once again be reminded by everyone what a champion and heroine she is, but until then I'm loving how truly awful this all is. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving character. I just wish Sami could walk through the DiMansion and catch a glimpse of her and bust out laughing.

Glorious.

And in all fairness to KM, coming back into the role of Abigail and having to portray 2 versions of her, must have been a challenge. And, IMO, one she wasn't up to.

I hope they also make her sing, tap-dance, speak ancient Greek, do karate, fly and juggle before this is all over. OMG - could you guys imagine KM doing an Abigail-gets-possessed storyline?! GOLD. COMEDY GOLD.

See, Failure? You have no power over me anymore :) Now, I will simply revel your awfulness.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 7
On 12/9/2018 at 7:18 AM, Lastwaltz said:

I feel like Gabi has been winning for months! It's just a shitshow of a story as said earlier. Get it done, Ron, so we can all move on, lol. 

How so.  I do call being framed for murder and being beaten within an inch of her life as winning.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Were Ciara's comments about the old family friend who's 84 and likes soap operas and gardening about anybody in particular?

Hooray for Abigail admitting that she got away with murder.

She said it with smugness and that superior tone that Kate Mansi is good at . I am still team Gabi, but, her plan was flawed from jump.  I have a feeling that Stefan will fall for the real Gabi.

I did like Julie's conversation with Ciara. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7

I got tired of Julie and wanted to mute her. Everyone and their dog and cat and goldfish can warn Ciara, but it is her life and her choice.

I assume she is the person who is turning 84. The cheekbones and lips makeup bothered me as they seemed to blend into some Batman Joker visage. I know, I'm still not feeling that great but I found it distracting.

Of course Saint Hope is not having an affair. Why would she choose a charming French dude who likes nice wine over Rafe. Stefan, you are probably playing your cards a little too fast with Ted.

Gabi vs 'Gabby' or 'Abigail' disguised as 'Gabby'. I'm tired of that storyline. Abigail is just as dangerous as Ben. And is more smug.

• Love 3

I will say I thought the actor playing Ted would be on an (actually only) ABC soap GH. I don’t take him too seriously but he’s make a great comedic foil for some one. The Gabby storyline is a train wreck bad which isn’t good. Kate Mansi can’t carry the Gabby role like Marci Miller did. Although, I did like how Abigail confessed to Julie. She really is the perfect person to tell. Julie hates Gabi since she killed Nick. Wait! Why aren’t Gabi & Ben dating? They have so much in common. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe. But family is family. Loyalty can run deep.

But family is not thinking your family members can do no wrong like Julie thinks that about Abigail.

5 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

She said it with smugness and that superior tone that Kate Mansi is good at . I am still team Gabi, but, her plan was flawed from jump.  I have a feeling that Stefan will fall for the real Gabi.

I did like Julie's conversation with Ciara. 

Gabi deserves better than an Abigail hand me down.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, plurie said:

If you have a secret, the LAST person you should tell is Julie Williams! Abs really IS insane.

That is too funny and so true. Julie is too much of a harpy now. She was the bomb in the 60's & 70's though.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Abby needed to confide in someone.   I wish it had been JJ.   JJ was the closest to believing her before.  

I never felt like JJ and Marci Miller's Abigail were close. Casey Moss & Kate Mansi worked a lot back in the day and it would have been nice if Abby had turned to JJ. It was funny though in Kate Mansi's interview in SOD where they asked who she was glad to see and work with again the only person she didn't mention was Moss.

Digest: Who were you excited to see when you went back?

Mansi: Missy [Reeves, Jennifer], Lauren [Koslow, Kate], Kristian [Alfonso, Hope], Mary Beth [Evans, Kayla], Eric Martsolf [Brady], the people I really spent time with when I was there. And also I was so excited to see Greg Vaughan [Eric]; we’re very close. I was excited to see Thomas, my son, again. My sister had identical twin boys and I wanted to have them play Thomas, but I didn’t realize he’s been aged so much, so I was excited to meet my children.

• Love 3