Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

MM Abigail is interesting character in that even people who don’t like her feel a bit sorry for her.  

Brady isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed but I understood why he needed to find a safe place for Holly even if it was with a stranger. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, tribeca said:

MM Abigail is interesting character in that even people who don’t like her feel a bit sorry for her.

Nope. 

I cannot care for someone so stupid. 

See also Brady.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, buffynut said:

When I came back to Days after years and years of not watching, it was right at the time of Sami planning her wedding to EJ, and KM's Abigail pretending to be Sami's best friend.  I did not know EJ, or Abigail, or many other characters, and I was an anti-Sami/pro-Carrie fan, so it shocked me that I found myself feeling sorry for Sami and HATING Jennifer's daughter.   MM's version of Abigail has been much, much more likable, albeit more boring too, and I do find myself feeling a bit sorry for her. I think they're pushing Gabi a bit too far in her revenge, but it is a soap, so I guess extreme is good story-telling.

That's why I appreciate that Ron at least has Gabi stating why she wants Abby to suffer pretty frequently on the show to remind viewers what was done to her & how [Gabi] got no justice. When Gabi laid out to Kate why she wanted Abby to feel pain, I nodded at the timely reminder, not to mention that Gabi could easily be acting out of some sort of PTSD from what was done to her in prison/custody because of Abby & Stefan.  IMO, Gabi is not wrong when she talks about how she suffered, how it affected her daughter, and that no one basically seemed to care because they just wanted to make sure Abby was ok because I think she has valid points. Gabi's plan is totally over the top but I think she has legitimate gripes/rage driving her and she's only focused on that right now.

Yes, Abby is mentally unwell - so is Ben! but I digress - but folks in Salem just about trample each other in a rush to constantly tell Abby that if she hurt someone that it wasn't her fault. And that started happening before Abby spiraled cause I'm not forgetting her stalking Austin way back when. Jack was the only person who loved her & who wouldn't give Abby a free pass for her malicious, selfish behavior. Gabi's plan is definitely extra and I'm not feeling her thinking Chad is any kind of prize in this situation but I do understand why she's so focused on making Abby hurt similarly to how Abby made her hurt. 

• Love 18
22 minutes ago, tribeca said:

I like MM's version of Abby much more than KM's version - which isn't really saying much since I don't like the character at all - but I think MM is able to infuse some warmth in Abby while KM's Abby was much colder. I still don't feel badly for Abby because I think it's just another storyline where she ends up being the victim in order for those she hurt to end up being labeled the bad guys. I remember how Sami was made to the bad guy for being angry at Abby and wanting other characters to care about her feelings and understand her feelings but they were almost all too busy consoling Abby and telling her that her own choices were not her fault. 

I feel like Gabi speaks for those in the audience fed up about the fragile, innocent Abby who would never hurt a fly narrative the show has forced on viewers for years. 

Yesterday's show was fine. I FF'd over all the Sonny/Will/Paul stuff cause nope. I mostly FF'd over all things at House Deveraux. 

Not sure if today's ep will be on my DVR when I get home with the pipe bomb news dominating the networks currently. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

T IMO, Gabi is not wrong when she talks about how she suffered, how it affected her daughter, and that no one basically seemed to care because they just wanted to make sure Abby was ok because I think she has valid points. Gabi's plan is totally over the top but I think she has legitimate gripes/rage driving her and she's only focused on that right now.

Gabi is doing awful things to a pregnant woman. If she's so disturbed by what happened to her, she's the one who should be seeking Marlena's help. And working with a therapist to reach Arianna, etc. But then again, it's a soap and needs to be entertaining. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

Gabi is doing awful things to a pregnant woman. If she's so disturbed by what happened to her, she's the one who should be seeking Marlena's help. And working with a therapist to reach Arianna, etc. But then again, it's a soap and needs to be entertaining. 

When would Gabi have time with Marlena's coma recovery plus others calling Marlena constantly since she woke up to see when she can meet with Abby? Again the  focal point for many of the characters is "poor Abby."

I don't think Abby is untouchable because she is pregnant. Should Gabi wait until after the baby to take revenge? Or never take revenge ? To me, that just seems like more of the same reasoning that allows Abby now to get away with stuff when she hurts others. There's always a *reason* why she can't suffer any repercussions of her actions, like that she is mentally unwell although hasn't stopped Hope & others from being obsessive about mentally unwell Ben. It just doesn't wash for me. Obviously mileage varies but I suspect if Abby wasn't pregnant, there would be another reason why she should be off the hook for her actions. Not to mention, IMO Abby being pregnant actually triggers Gabi cause I think when Gabi sees Abby's pregnancy, it reminds her that she likely won't ever get to experience that again because of Abby. So it makes sense story-wise on top of what Gabi said when she explained her feelings to Kate in yesterday's ep.

And yes, because it's a soap, it should be entertaining but IMO it helps that the show has explicitly laid out why Gabi harbors such rage because she feels she didn't get justice for what she was put through as an actual victim, just ignored and dismissed for the most part because everyone is more focused on Abby. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

When would she have time with Marlena's recovery and others calling Marlena constantly since she woke up to see when she can meet with Abby. Again the  focal point is poor Abby.

I don't think Abby is untouchable because she is pregnant. Should Gabi wait until after the baby to take revenge? To me, that just seems like more of the same reasoning that allows Abby now to get away with stuff when she hurts others. There's always a *reason* why she can't suffer any repercussions of her actions. It just doesn't wash for me. Obviously mileage varies but I suspect if Abby wasn't pregnant, there would be another reason why she should be off the hook for her actions. Not to mention, IMO Abby being pregnant triggers Gabi cause I think when Gabi sees Abby's pregnancy, it reminds her that she likely won't ever get to experience that again because of Abby. So it makes sense story-wise on top of what Gabi said when she explained her feelings to Kate in yesterday's ep.

I do think being pregnant is significant. And why is revenge the only recourse? I know, I know, it's a soap and there has to be something driving the plots. I'm okay being off on my own on this one :) And like I said the other day, I'm glad it feels like it's rushing to a conclusion soon! 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

And why is revenge the only recourse? 

In this case, I think Gabi wasn't allowed to get actual justice from the courts because it basically became Abby was ill, so suck it up what she did to you along with Abby's two week mental health stay. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

I do think being pregnant is significant. And why is revenge the only recourse? I know, I know, it's a soap and there has to be something driving the plots. I'm okay being off on my own on this one :) And like I said the other day, I'm glad it feels like it's rushing to a conclusion soon! 

And why is she just going after Abby? What happen to making Stefan pay? He's barely been a thought other than to get up dates on Abgail. This plot is so weak.

• Love 7

Abe needs to get off his whole parking spot thing.

Ooh Abigail went there with Nick Fallon.  LOL.

Jeez, Julie, shut it.

MM is killing it as Dream Gabby.  Much better than Real Abigail. Though the acting in the Gabi/Abigail storyline is getting really good, all around.

Ouch, Kate.  "Your daughter is a lunatic, just like your mother."

"Almost dead Nick". Is that a Harry Potter reference? (though yeah, I know it's a reference to Nick Fallon).

"You're always giving everybody the benefit of the doubt."  I think JJ would disagree.

They keep pushing Abe and Sheila towards each other.

• Love 6

Abigail is the worst. So fucking smug and up on her high horse. Bitch, you killed someone, too! And tried to kill 3 other people. Not to mention all the other shit you did before everything was washed away because you're mentally ill. Whatever, fuck that noise. Gabi forever!

I forget everything else because I am just so over Abigail and the fact that this story will end with everyone apologizing to her. Ugh!

• Love 19
16 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Abigail is the worst. So fucking smug and up on her high horse. Bitch, you killed someone, too! And tried to kill 3 other people. Not to mention all the other shit you did before everything was washed away because you're mentally ill. Whatever, fuck that noise. Gabi forever!

I forget everything else because I am just so over Abigail and the fact that this story will end with everyone apologizing to her. Ugh!

Abigail is such a lightning rod! At this point, I'm just marking time until this thing is over with.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one abby was annoying getting all self righteous and up on her high horse acting like she's so innocent.even though I'm enjoying vixen Gabi I'm just so sick of everyone turning evil.so abby can be a victim.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

Abigail is such a lightning rod! At this point, I'm just marking time until this thing is over with.

She definitely is. I think I’ve stated this before, but I just don’t hold the whole Austin thing against her. She was young and dumb. Just like I really don’t hold the whole pretending to be stalked against Gabi. They were young and stupid.

She was pretty shitty in the whole EJ/Sami thing. I don’t know what the writers were thinking if they wanted her to be the resident heroine of the younger set. I’ll admit that the  story where she believes in Chad and helps him when everybody thinks he’s a murderer won me back over. Yes, she was with Ben, but I’m a chemistry whore and KM and BF had it, at least to me, and that goes a long, shallow way with me in excusing the unfaithfulness. 

The MM came aboard and I love her Abby. I know some feel she’s too low key, but she brings a vulnerability and a warmth to Abby I really like. I really like CB as well, but I’m pissed at Gabi right now. I loved her and JJ, and I’ll always be down for a revisit of that. I just need for there to be some seed of doubt about what she’s putting out in the universe. At least some small part of her to feel remorse. Like it or not, Abby is disgusted by the things Gabby did, so that does help me get past that whole thing. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Rowan said:

[MM] brings a vulnerability and a warmth to Abby I really like.

She really isn't currently though imo, which is why it's really hard to root for Abigail right now even though we should.

Like it or not, Abby is disgusted by the things Gabby did, so that does help me get past that whole thing. 

Is she though? She's not really acting that way now imo. Also, I admittedly wasn't watching consistently during the Ben or EJ stuff, but she never seems too broken up about those things to me.

Oh also, I forgot to mention this, BF is unintelligible imo. Granted, I watch in fast mode, but I rarely have a problem understanding anyone else. But I swear I get maybe 2 of every 50 words he says.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yes Princess was mentally deranged but that does not change the fact that she framed Gabi for prison.

3 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

If Sami, Gabi or Carrie killed Slappy, I would not care, and I would want them to get away with it.

3 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

If Sami, Gabi or Carrie killed Slappy, I would not care, and I would want them to get away with it.

It does not have to be those three.  Slappy would get justice if Jennifer killed her.

Edited by bobcat1946
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, bobcat1946 said:

Yes Princess was mentally deranged but that does not change the fact that she framed Gabi for prison.

Yes, she lied on the stand.   But not as Abby.   If I remember correctly, Abby became Laura while she was testifying.    Everything she did (except the murder---that was "supposedly" in self defense--was done while she was either Gabby or Laura.      I am not an Abby fan at all, but I am disgusted by what Gabi is doing--and I really liked Gabi. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

She really isn't currently though imo, which is why it's really hard to root for Abigail right now even though we should.

Well, I do get what you’re saying. It would be helpful if the writers added a little nuance, but that’s not going to happen. They usually leave the heavy lifting up to the actors ‘cause they suck. I mean Abby is standing her ground firmly, when it should feel shaky as hell. She has  recently been diagnosed with that pesky DID after all. Can’t they give  her a moment where she, even if she can’t prove it ‘cause, say Gabi destroys it, where she has a revelation because she found evidence that Gabi is setting her up. It wouldn’t alter any part of the plot, it would still be her word against Gabi. It would just go a long way in the sympathy department for me. She ain’t wrong about what’s going down, though. 

I do get tired of excusing certain behavior because the writing is lacking. They spend months having a character do awful basically unforgivable shit then expect the audience to just move on with a few scenes of “Oops, my bad.” They’re doing it with her, they’ll do it with Gabi. 

Also, I was thinking after I watched the last couple of days, Kate is so morally bankrupt. I do actually believe she loves Chad, but it’s worse to her to lose his love over the Stephan crap than to go along with a plan that destroys his happiness. Kate, mother figure of the year. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh also, I forgot to mention this, BF is unintelligible imo. Granted, I watch in fast mode, but I rarely have a problem understanding anyone else. But I swear I get maybe 2 of every 50 words he says.

Billy Flynn tends to phone it in when he hates a story.  He tanked the story of Ciara developing an unhealthy crush on Chad like Sami did with Austin. He bragged about doing that in an interview. Personally, I hate it when actors do that. You are being paid to act. Plus, I think it is disrespectful to show disdain for the writers art.  Billy has gotten very full of himself.  Allison Sweeney, hated Sami becoming a cheater and Will being killed off of the show, but, she committed to the scripts 1000%.  Billy needs to do that in my opinion.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 18
21 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Personally, I hate it when actors do that. You are being paid to act. Plus, I think it is disrespectful to show disdain for the writers art.

I'm always fascinated by the interplay of acting and writing and how things can play out very differently as a result.

One thing I have concluded is that good acting can bail out poor writing, but good writing cannot bail out poor acting. And since we viewers are the ones who are going to either enjoy, or suffer through, the scenes, I tend to feel like you do about actors who simply tank stories they do not like by phoning in their performances. Commit. Or try to find an angle that they can stand to play that will still make the scenes watchable for viewers. (Indeed, that's sometimes how good acting bails out poor writing, by actors taking a different spin on the material than the writers probably intended.)

My exception would be if a story is so incredibly offensive that it really does need to be killed off ASAP and so whatever might hasten that is justifiable. But that's a high bar to me. And on a show like DAYS, with its long window between filming and airing, it really doesn't apply as the show will already have moved on to the next thing by the time the audience gets to start weighing in.

• Love 9

The Mayor's parking spot complaints need to stop. Surely all visitor parking spots at the Salem PD office were not taken. Good for Sheila for getting the job.

JJ, you do not go through a woman's purse unless you are asked to do so.

Abs is right about Gabi, but she still deserves some payback for what she did to Gabi. Sometimes karma needs a bit of a nudge. Gabi is going a little too far.

At least Abs came to life as Stefan's dream Gabby. I still don't buy that she integrated the alters within a rapid period of time and was back to good mental health in weeks.  That is unrealistic.

Julie, please shut up. Find a cruise.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

I'm at a table of one who'll be okay with this, since Gabi is going too far.

I'm pulling up a chair, Tasha. I enjoyed Abby reminding us all of Melanie's kidnapping -- no excuses for that one, Gabi. 

10 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Billy Flynn tends to phone it in when he hates a story.  

He does! I'm a big BF fan but I totally agree with all that you said. He was so good in the early stories -- Abs being the only one who believed in him; him finding her to tell her he loved her before taking off; their illicit garden lovefest. But he is NOT into this story whatsovever and you're right -- it shows. I thought it was some odd acting choice, but it's disdain. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

I'm pulling up a chair, Tasha. I enjoyed Abby reminding us all of Melanie's kidnapping -- no excuses for that one, Gabi. 

I enjoyed that too but that doesn't negate anything that Gabi said to Abby about what Abby did to her. One doesn't cancel out the other or make them even. 

Neither woman has a pure history and IMO they shouldn't have to cause that's not even remotely interesting or realistic... even if the show constantly tries to push the narrative that Abby is some fragile innocent who never ever tries to hurt anyone and who also feeds deer from her hand every morning. 

• Love 8

I've been watching the show and liking with some exceptions (of course). One overall thing I have been liking is the characters actually remembering and calling out past crimes and other crap a particular character has done. I hate when it seems like everyone has the memory of a goldfish. Also, liking some characters pointing out the ridiculouslessness of a given situation, like Kate saying that Bonnie is past child bearing years. 

- I am liking the Gabi gaslights Ab story. As most have said Ab deserves it.  Admittedly, I strongly prefer Marci to KM's Abby. With KM currently not playing Abby,  I need daily constant reminders of how truly terrible the character was, with an over inflated sense of self-worth and oozing smugness. Abby actually figuring it out and looking all the more crazy for it is an interesting twist. My biggest complaint about the story is Stefan related. I hate his rapist ass and I hate that people keep telling him shit about Abby when they don't have to - looking at you Abby and Jen.  I despise when Abby runs to him. He is no better than Gabi as he really is actively hoping for a relapse so I don't know why she would share the same air with him let alone details. Also, not really loving Gaby wanting Chad and raising Thomas although I wasn't surprised it headed that way. 

- Dr. Rolf's Death Be Gone elixir story is better than I thought it would be. AV betta not be Ava V. That is a character no one asked for to begin with or wants a return of. How dumb do they have to be to even use initials? 

- Not a Sami fan, actually grew to hate Ejami, but I am rooting for the mystery patient to be EJ just so that she can shut her yap about it. 

- I've been dreaming and longing for Xander and Nicole union since he was first introduced. Them being together off screen via blackmail lets me know that the Monkey Paw theory of Days, much espoused on the old TWOP, is very much alive and well.  The most obvious moral lesson in "The Monkey's Paw" is to be careful what you wish for: The paw's wishes always come true, but apparently only in a cruel manner in which you never hoped or intended.  They have such great chem and they so thoroughly shat on it with this story. I don't even know why a young hottie like Xander would even need to blackmail Nicole into a loveless, sexless marriage.  It is not like she is rich or is a captain of industry or something. What is the point of that besides a bad plot point?

- Stacy H is doing a phenomenal job as Kristin/Susan recast and I would be on board to make it permanent. 

- I absolutely hated the Bonnie is Lucas' baby mama s/l, but this latest twist makes it slightly better.  

- I only started watching Days after Mimi left so I am completely unfamiliar with her. I had no idea if I was watching an old woman trying to look young or a young woman who just went too far with botox, lip plumbing and plastic surgery. 

- I really don't care about Tripp/Ciara/Ben and Claire. I was all for Ben returning but I can't say I root for a serial killer as a love interest for Ciara. Nope. 

- FF Sonny/Paul/Will. Do feel sorry for Paul being the meat in that asshole sandwich. 

- Chloe's looks stunning with the new haircut. Stunning. Wasn't sure of it at first but I think it was curled in a weird way, but now that is a straight bob and so sleek - Gorgeous!!!

- Is there a reason there are making the Tripp character walk around shirtless? 

- Are we headed towards Abe and Sheila union? 

On 10/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

Gabi putting the screws to Kate was also fun.  While I like Kate, having her being the victim of someone's else machinations instead of the instigator is a nice turn.

It was hideous.  It she had worn the jacket with a plain shirt and black pants, it would have been fine.  But all that floral and ruffles was way too much, even for Kate.

Half the time, Kate looks like she gets her clothes from Prince estate sales.

eight_col_The_Revolution_Photo_2.jpg?150

• Love 9

@islandgal140 - haha, Kate as Prince! Something tells me Kate would love that : ) Your summation of the current events kind of makes me weep; these stories, oy.

I have zero interest in Ben/Ciara/Tripp/Claire -- zero, zip, nothing at all. I enjoyed Tripp as Steve's son, but the show f'd that up, so whatever. I just don't find the next generation of characters (let alone actors) very compelling at all, despite their legacy connections. And I think I feel about Ben the way many of you feel about Abigail : )

I have NOT missed Hope or Rafe. 

Funny to think that just a few days ago we had fire and explosions - I keep forgetting, too, that they're in Nashville. Which I didn't realize was such a hop, skip, and a jump from Salem. Who will take Holly?? Is Eric supposed to become a toddler's parent overnight? 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

Who will take Holly?? Is Eric supposed to become a toddler's parent overnight? 

Nicole has siblings, doesn't she?  As does Holly herself in stupid Melanie.  I dunno how Eric would be first in line, but I'm sure he will be.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Brandon and Taylor are Nocole's siblings.  Brandon returning to Salem for scenes with Sami and Eric could be interesting.

Oh now I would enjoy that, and he would need to have scenes with Abe as well.

The original actor, Matt, had such amazing chemistry with James, imho, I'd love to see them interacting again, it's way past time Abe had one of his kids capable of actual "acting" in a scene. 

Just keep Brandon away from Lani and Eli as much as possible. 

• Love 4

I liked Kate's outfit and hair.?? It was quintessential "Kate" and a look only she could pull off. One thing about her is she's never boring and never dresses and grooms herself without confidence or fun. Unlike people like Mimi who continues to look like human embodiment of an artificial flavored generic fruit bar. 

Chloe looks amazing, as usual, and I liked her standing by and defending her man Lucas. 

Belle really is Salem's version of a turd in a punch bowl. First she pulled the plug on her mom, the beloved, Dr Marlena Evans. Now she's defending Bonnie coo coo and her bore daughter to take the baby from Lucas. 

I liked OG Brady KL and liked OG Rex and KL is playing Rex exactly like he did Brady. Also was it just me or was his foundation patchy and muddy as fuck today? He needs to exfoliate, maybe check the experiation, or use a beauty blender and pounce more. 

Am I the only one getting vibes that DH/John just shows up to have fun and get out of the house with his friends? It kind of cute honestly. 

• Love 13

Bonnie sure was thoughtful enough to bring the vodka to Hattie's hospital room. Roman, be careful. Hattie is hungry.

Chloe looked really good today. Beautiful dress. Mimi, not so much.

I hope the baby Bonnie/Mimi/Rex thing happens soon. He won't be pleased to find out he has a child, at least with the mother not telling him.

• Love 4

I would have never paired (off brand private label) vodka with Hot Cheetos, Tortilla chips and jar canned room temp nacho plastic "cheese"

Wine coolers or tequila would have paired better must have been why Hattie barfed. 

I wouldn't mind Brandon coming back. I need Sami to reach a resolution and a new story. Along that vein, I think no one in that explosion died and the wrong people perished.

the prison convo is weird to me and rings false 

• Love 5

Melissa Archer should have been cast as Sarah Horton the actress portraying Sarah should have been Stefanie Johnson. Xander should have been Alexander Kiriakis and  the actor portraying Trip should have been  either Joey Johnson or Joseph Kiriakis. The casting on this show is so bad. 

Poor Lucas, I don't like that he is going to have another child taken away from him. I wish this show would have given Lucas a real love interest and new baby with her.  He missed out on Will and Allie as babies.  Will was raised by Austin and he went to prison for Will and missed out on Allie as well.  

Abigail is the dumbest character in all of daytime past and present.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Abigail is the dumbest character in all of daytime past and present.

She really is.  How does she not get that, if Gabby were to spring out right now, Stefan would be able to ensure she stays in control of Abigail forever.  Idiot!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, tribeca said:

I really don’t like Chloe and can’t figure out why. 

Maybe because the actor is really bad?  And rarely blinks?  She seems more like one of those evil puppet people than a real person to me.

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, boes said:

Maybe because the actor is really bad?  And rarely blinks?  She seems more like one of those evil puppet people than a real person to me.

Exactly! The character has been nothing more than a pretty face. No substance.

• Love 5

Why do they keep dancing around the name of Rex's fiancee?

Kyle is already doing a good job.

"I'm with Abby at the mansion right now." Uh, this is Salem, there's more than one mansion.

Chloe just figured it out.

Damn, Casey has chemistry with everybody he works with.

How does one divorce their partner without the partner being notified? Also, is Abigail so stupid she doesn't realize that Stefan is only keeping her around for Gabby?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Abigail is the dumbest character in all of daytime past and present

I was just thinking that it makes me sad that some of my favorite couples of the 80's/90's spawned some of the dumbest, most obnoxious characters. Jack and Jennifer being the parents of this twit takes the cake.

• Love 9