Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I hate both of them!  I only routinely advocate for Abigail to be killed off, though, not just because I dislike the character but because it would be a good story for Missy Reeves and Casey Moss to play for however many years DOOL has left. 

Dan's death would just be an excuse for Maggie to wail, and so long as he's in the background not judging anyone I can tolerate him.

• Love 6

So looks like I'm still not missing much of anything. I heard about Serena's death and saw her slap the shit out of Chad, nearly knocking him out of the chair. I bet Chad is a suspect and Chad is having multiple upon multiple flashbacks of his last time with Serena and is a suspect. Someone tell me I'm wrong, especially about them flashbacks? If not I'll eat an onion and I bet Eeyore is all sad and saying he shouldn't have been so hard on her.

I bet Jar Jar is still being a Jar Jar, just a flat out unpleasant bitch. I bet Aiden is gonna be written into a corner or already has been, where Aiden comes off as a villain or something. Jacosta is still being a shrew. Theresa still doing stupid shit. Brady continues to be a dumbass. Naggie still has that hair. Clyde is still being a creepazoid. Someone won't lock Sneasel in his cage. Someone won't put Dark Roast back in the oven so he can burn and be put in the trash.

• Love 1

Great posts on here folks.  The show has inspired some pretty insightful posts on motivation, cause and effect, and show history.  I've been loving reading each and every one.  

I really like the takes I've been reading on Kim's parenting of Theresa.  I don't see a bad mother at work there either, just one imposing her values - as all parents do, within limits - and an inability to see or value the differences her daughter manifested.  It's not always nice but it sure is a human response.

And I'm loving the dissection of our dear Abigail.  The only thing I'd enjoy more would be her actual dissection.  For me, it's not  even what she's done that makes her so loathesome, but who she is.  She's a vapid, privileged, over-indulged and definitely over-praised narcissist.  She's acutely aware of her own needs and feelings but pretty damn vague and disinterested when it comes to other people.  She's old enough to know better, but obviously not smart enough, or deep enough, to bother to try harder.

How many times have we heard her called "amazing"?  Does a day actually go by when she's on that we don't hear that?  Why is she so amazing?  What's she done?  Who has she helped?  What charity does she volunteer for?  Who has she ever put first?  What is amazing about her??

She touted her virginity the way Coke promoted Zero Coke, and then proceeded to make a contest - A CONTEST - over which dumb schlub would be the first to make to the finish line.

When Melanie got together with Chad, AFTER Abigail dumped him, she got mad at Mel because it was "too soon", and he had just been hers.  What a champ of a friend, eh?

She set out to ruin a man's life so she could have him, destroy a marriage, stalked and plotted and then actually had the gall to be SHOCKED that she got called on it.  She's so lucky she has a hair left in her head after Carrie found out.

And EJ.....sure, she said, with her little doe eyes, how she'd been bad - because she knows how to play the game - and then Mommy and all the other adults tut-tutted her and said no, you were the VICTIM, and Abigail gracefully shut up and let them get her off the hook.  And Sami was the bad one.  You've all rehashed this stuff better than I can, but I just can't with this sociopath.

And the slapping.  So any of us ever go around town, or bursting into other people's home and slapping them?  Especially when the people being slapped are contemporaries of our parents?  Abigail does that on a monthly basis.  Little shit should have been laid out for that alone.

So yeah, I'm sure other people have done worse stuff, but that's not the point.  The point is that Show has tried to tell us that Abigail IS AMAZING and WONDERFUL and we have seen not one single reason to believe it, but we've seen plenty to tell us she's a horrible spoiled narcissitic brat.  

So yup, I hate her.  And Daniel is the male version, just scruffier and with worse jewelry.  And Brady comes close.  But Abigail is Amazing, in a way.  She's become so loathed, so quickly and that's amazing in itself.

• Love 11

Great posts on here folks.  The show has inspired some pretty insightful posts on motivation, cause and effect, and show history.  I've been loving reading each and every one.  

I really like the takes I've been reading on Kim's parenting of Theresa.  I don't see a bad mother at work there either, just one imposing her values - as all parents do, within limits - and an inability to see or value the differences her daughter manifested.  It's not always nice but it sure is a human response.

And I'm loving the dissection of our dear Abigail.  The only thing I'd enjoy more would be her actual dissection.  For me, it's not  even what she's done that makes her so loathesome, but who she is.  She's a vapid, privileged, over-indulged and definitely over-praised narcissist.  She's acutely aware of her own needs and feelings but pretty damn vague and disinterested when it comes to other people.  She's old enough to know better, but obviously not smart enough, or deep enough, to bother to try harder.

How many times have we heard her called "amazing"?  Does a day actually go by when she's on that we don't hear that?  Why is she so amazing?  What's she done?  Who has she helped?  What charity does she volunteer for?  Who has she ever put first?  What is amazing about her??

She touted her virginity the way Coke promoted Zero Coke, and then proceeded to make a contest - A CONTEST - over which dumb schlub would be the first to make to the finish line.

When Melanie got together with Chad, AFTER Abigail dumped him, she got mad at Mel because it was "too soon", and he had just been hers.  What a champ of a friend, eh?

She set out to ruin a man's life so she could have him, destroy a marriage, stalked and plotted and then actually had the gall to be SHOCKED that she got called on it.  She's so lucky she has a hair left in her head after Carrie found out.

And EJ.....sure, she said, with her little doe eyes, how she'd been bad - because she knows how to play the game - and then Mommy and all the other adults tut-tutted her and said no, you were the VICTIM, and Abigail gracefully shut up and let them get her off the hook.  And Sami was the bad one.  You've all rehashed this stuff better than I can, but I just can't with this sociopath.

And the slapping.  So any of us ever go around town, or bursting into other people's home and slapping them?  Especially when the people being slapped are contemporaries of our parents?  Abigail does that on a monthly basis.  Little shit should have been laid out for that alone.

So yeah, I'm sure other people have done worse stuff, but that's not the point.  The point is that Show has tried to tell us that Abigail IS AMAZING and WONDERFUL and we have seen not one single reason to believe it, but we've seen plenty to tell us she's a horrible spoiled narcissitic brat.  

So yup, I hate her.  And Daniel is the male version, just scruffier and with worse jewelry.  And Brady comes close.  But Abigail is Amazing, in a way.  She's become so loathed, so quickly and that's amazing in itself.

Well, when you put it that way : )

• Love 2

Everyone who tried to blame the EJ affair on just EJ, she took her own responsibility and said it wasn't just him. Kayla, Adrienne, her mother. ANYONE who tried to excuse her she told them otherwise. So yes she took responsibility for her mistakes. 

THANK YOU.  Abigail did admit that she was just as responsible as E.J.  If you wanna be mad at anyone, be mad at everyone who tried to brush it aside.  But Abigail herself most certainly did not.  At this point, it just disgusts me how desperately you all seem to be finding excuses to blame her and trash her for that when she did own up.  So sorry it wasn't to the extent or degree you all wanted it to be, but she did own up.

Yes, I dread the Paige Death scenes. I always liked her and rooted for JJ/Paige and I'm worried about how this will affect JJ (like they're real people, smh). Hopefully the actress is already on her way to good/better things -- I think she grew into the role nicely. 

I still don't know why they had to kill Paige.  Just let her transfer to Stanford or something till they need her again.

• Love 4

I'm sorry she didn't OWN up IMO because when she confronted Sami in her house after slapping her, Sami said that Abby didn't even come forward in her own press release that Jennifer written for her and Abby still didn't own up because she got upset that Sami gave her name away in Will's article. If she was owning up to it she wouldn't have even cared and been happy that her name is in the article. Even when she was fired for breaking the morality clause she didn't own up to the reason as to why she had to resign, just cutesy it up. Abby only owned up to what she did when she was around people that defends her on a daily basis. She didn't approach Sami and tell her that she slept with EJ and wanted EJ for herself and how she wanted EJ to dump Sami and run off into the sunset, instead she gloated to Sami in Sami's face and then played victim when she was around her defenders.

• Love 12

Absolutely brilliant. However, since my referring to Abigail as IT seems to have offended some, I will cease referring to her by that name. She will henceforth be Pennywise (IT light if you will). I think this communicates my feelings while being less hostile to a character some people like.

• Love 4

THANK YOU.  Abigail did admit that she was just as responsible as E.J.  If you wanna be mad at anyone, be mad at everyone who tried to brush it aside.  But Abigail herself most certainly did not.  At this point, it just disgusts me how desperately you all seem to be finding excuses to blame her and trash her for that when she did own up.  So sorry it wasn't to the extent or degree you all wanted it to be, but she did own up.

This sounds just like something Jenn said, defending Abigail, while Abigail wandered over to Sami's house to slap her some more, or remind her how EJ wanted her, or snuffle through her tears, nodding her head while Jenn or Kayla or JJ or the mailman said she was the VICTIM of EJ and Abigail - but still AMAZING, and oh so bravely like the saint and martyr she is, says, weakly, "oh no, I too was at fault, even though EJ seduced me by saying he like my daddy's book and then said Shakespeare stuff to me.  But I'm guilty too.  Guilty of being too amazing for my own good".  

Nobody has to work desperately to point her Abigail's bad behavior.  All you have to do is wait for her next scene.

Lucky for her, weak as she may be, she still packs a good left hook as Eve, Chloe, Nicole and the checkout clerk at Walgreen's can testify.

Edited by boes
  • Love 8

AMEN!

• Love 4

I think you are definitely on to something here. If an actor leaves or wants to leave, then their character is trashed, even if it's completely out of character and a slap in the face to long time viewers and fans.  Not to mention, it does not make a convincing story. Like right now w/Steve--I should dislike a man who walked out on his family but since it's so clear it was simply bad writing, I'm actually rooting for Steve instead of Kayla on screen each day. Of course, Kayla's characterization has veered off track since MBE stuck around with the last round of clueless writers so sadly I don't find Kayla as likeable as I once did.  Her defense of Abigail and inability to properly do her job when Sami came to her with the violation of hospital policy being a big contributor to my reduction in fuzzy feelings for Kayla.  

The is part of why I couldn't stay. I can come back and still feel warm and fuzzy about Kayla and still like Adrienne, Julie and Maggie. I didn't see their characters ruined. I learned the hard way with Jennifer and Taniel. I haven't looked at her the same ever since that fiasco. I can still like her, I do however doubt that I will ever love her again.

• Love 1
So looks like I'm still not missing much of anything.

Depends who you ask.  Some, like me, are loving the new DOOL.  Others not so much.  Obviously can't please everyone.

I heard about Serena's death and saw her slap the shit out of Chad, nearly knocking him out of the chair. I bet Chad is a suspect and Chad is having multiple upon multiple flashbacks of his last time with Serena and is a suspect. Someone tell me I'm wrong, especially about them flashbacks? If not I'll eat an onion and I bet Eeyore is all sad and saying he shouldn't have been so hard on her.

Some flashbacks, but not multiple upon multple.  You're right about Eric being sad though. And Justin thinks Chad is guilty, but Rafe, who is now on the Salem Police force again, doesn't.

I bet Jar Jar is still being a Jar Jar, just a flat out unpleasant bitch.

Not as bad as usual.  And she wasn't on everyday last week either.

I bet Aiden is gonna be written into a corner or already has been, where Aiden comes off as a villain or something.

Yup.  He has a secret and apparently suddenly owes someone money, so proposed to Hope to get her trust fund, or whatever money it is she has.

Jacosta is still being a shrew. Theresa still doing stupid shit.

Not so much.  Jennifer had to quit the Horton Centre committee though after Eve leaked that JJ was selling drugs there.  Except for accusing Xander of rape (which I didn't see so don't exactly know what happened), Theresa is a different person. She has decided she wants to be a fashion designer and buy Basic Black which John is going to put up for sale

Brady continues to be a dumbass.  Naggie still has that hair.

Not so much.  He is going to lend Nicole money, as she also wants to buy Basic Black.  And he was nice to Theresa.

Maggie's hair is actually looking a little smoother lately.  And she's a kinder, softer, Maggie.  She even had tea with Theresa and listened to her plan to buy Basic Black,

Clyde is still being a creepazoid.

Yes.  Kate finally broke up with him.  Clyde killed Kyle, though we didn't see a body.  And he threatened JJ.

Someone won't lock Sneasel in his cage

Might be in a cage, as he wasn't on all last week.  Least I don't think he was.

Someone won't put Dark Roast back in the oven so he can burn and be put in the trash.

Didn't see him either last week. Nor did I miss him.

Seriously, after you suffered through months and months of bad that kept getting worse, you should tune in.  You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

• Love 5

I'm also loving all the posts here and the other Days threads lately!  The show really has been revitalized, and you can tell from the responses.  ShadowSixx, you should give Days another shot, especially as buffynut says, you sat through so much utter crap before.

The dissection of Abigail has also been fun.  Whenever I come to dislike a character, I ask myself if I'd still hate him or her if there were a recast with a more competant or compelling actor.  (This started with Sonny Corinthos years ago, with the conclusion being that he'd be a repellent, odious little man even if someone better than the extremely limited Maurice Bernard were playing him.)   There is definitely more to my dislike of Abigail than the terrible Kate Mansi.  Even if Jen Lilley were playing her, I still wouldn't like Abigail for all the reasons so many other have pointed out.  I also don't think the character is worth replacing.

Same goes for Dr. Tan.

Will could definitely be salvaged, as I loved Will when CM was playing him.  Right now, though, I don't care about the character at all and I put that more on GW than the shitty writing.

Absolutely brilliant. However, since my referring to Abigail as IT seems to have offended some, I will cease referring to her by that name. She will henceforth be Pennywise (IT light if you will). I think this communicates my feelings while being less hostile to a character some people like.

This is an open forum so you shouldn't have to do that.  If people don't like what you're saying about a fictional character, they can use the ignore button.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 3

I do appreciate folks toning it down on the excessive nastyness. We don't all always like the same things, but unneccesarily gross and ugly comments are just that, unneccessary. Mostly I find everyone here to be among the most polite and considerate of commenters.

• Love 7

I have been a fan of Jack, since Matt Ashford took over the role. That said, Jack was always a bit of a flake and worse. Over the years he raped Kayla, married Eve, feigned he was gay (as he used Greta to make Jennifer jealous) learned he had a supposedly fatal illness and so set up Jen with Frankie and then faked his own death.

His walk-about was the final straw for me as a Jack fan. I agree with you that it was insulting, but then I had to watch it for a year, so I want it cleaned up. The writers retconned it, but the retcon didn't take away my year or so of being done with Jack. I thought the Afghanistan story was preposterous. It made no sense that he wouldn't tell Jennifer he was going on assignment and instead would let her think he left her. He wasn't a secret agent. He was a reporter, covering the drug trade, married to someone who had also been a reporter and who would have kept his secret.

That twaddle ruined the character of Jack, for me. I was never able to invest in his PTSD story and was actually glad to see him die in the elevator. If, instead, he had come back, copped to his flakiness, gone on with his life and tried to win back Jennifer, I would have welcomed him. I know that I'm arguing a hypothetical, but when I heard Ashford was coming back in 2011 or whatever year it was, I was thrilled. Then I saw his storyline. It had nothing to do with the crap that I, as a fan, had lived through for a year or so, and it had nothing to do with what Jennifer, as a character, had lived through for a year or so.

Actors like Reckell, Nichols and Ashford have already earned their presence on the canvas by nature of their performances. I agree with you there. The show is already better, just because Nichols is on my screen. But when we're told the characters are doing whatever offscreen, and we watched their loved ones suffer in their absence, then I'd prefer it if their return stories addressed what those loved ones (Jen, Hope, Kayla, etc.) were going through, while they were gone, instead of making the men heroes for abandoning their wives and kids for the greater good. I'm actively rooting for Steve, right now, because he's copping to the fact that he was wrong to leave Kayla and Joey. I'm already dreading Bo's return, because it looks , from the previews, to be a reboot of Jack being tortured in Afghanistan.

Tell me, did you/do you like Jack? Because while I know Abigail is in the wrong in several storylines (Austin, EJ, and cheating with Chad and duping Ben), she isn't raping anyone. If I recall correctly, everyone loved and supported John and Marlena, even though Marlena cheated with John on Roman, years ago. I don't see how Abigail is different than any random, sometimes unfaithful soap character -- certainly not to any level where she should be called IT.

I know Jack's history quite well and I've seen several HACK writers fail utterly at writing for him(to say nothing of failing at writing for others).

To ME the walk about was my last straw for the SHOW(At least at that time)and not Jack. I never bought it for a second. Jack Deveraux in the OUTBACK? Please. Of course Afghanistan wasn't much better, but going off on a story and getting in over his head was far more in character than a walkabout.

Furthermore , I,and many many others, were sick to death of Jack being ruined for Jennifer's Himbo of the moment.

We were owed.

Until Tomsell's shit factory came back.

Edited by Jewlmc
  • Love 7

So I've been thinking more about Abigail, which isn't weird at all because who doesn't spend their Saturday nights thinking about the princess of Salem?

Really, I think the show would improve if she weren't on.  She doesn't have much of a job, she doesn't have any friends, the only time she spends time with her extended family is when she needs propping, she's not charming or unique or smart or funny, she's unnecessarily violent, she makes terrible mistakes that are handwaved and only the so-called mean people bring them up, and she's a judgemental hypocrite with zero self-awareness.  Add in that Missy Reeves has had to carry the load of any heavy scene Kate Mansi has ever been given, and I just don't see the value of either the character or the actor.

I don't get it.  Why does so much of the show revolve around this person?  Surely there are other women in their 20s who would love to be on this show and who could fit right in to one of the existing families?

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 11

Anyone else but the princess would have almost been ridden out of town on rail. In fact they would never have heard the last of it.

Really? So everyone on this show who slept with someone else's boyfriend was ridden out of town? Married couples had affairs and still are there. John, Marlena, Kate, Stefano, Sami, Nicole, Dan, Eric, Rafe. All have been ridden out of town? Rafe had an emotional affair and was making out with his wife's sister. People still think Rafe walks on water, especially Hope Sami and Carrie's aunt. He also covered up who knows how many crimes including the cover up of kidnapping of Maggie's granddaughter and people other than Roman doesn't care.

If she was owning up to it she wouldn't have even cared and been happy that her name is in the article.

She should have been happy and not care her sex life was all over the world in print to see? Or she should have been happy to be fired? Yeah right. There's being sorry and then there's being a stupid doormat. She was sorry, but that doesn't mean she should stand there and let Sami shoot her with a gun just because she wants to.

And when she was fired due to Sami's blackmail of taking money from sick cancer children, Abby told Kayla that she deserved the firing and it was her fault. More of Abby owning up to HER mistakes.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

Now it's not even 2 years later, and the show is telling us that she  had some Oliver Twist childhood and her mom stomped on a dream that she apparently has so much talent for that even MAGGIE sees it?

It's called New Writers....go with it :)

• Love 1

To ME the walk about was my last straw for the SHOW(At least at that time)and not Jack. I never bought it for a second. Jack Deveraux in the OUTBACK? Please. Of course Afghanistan wasn't much better, but going off on a story and getting in over his head was far more in character than a walkabout.

I missed so many years that there are many stories and incidents referenced here that I never heard of.  But this "walk about" in the Outback????  Can't even imagine why that happened.  I assume the actor had left the show and they need an "undercover for the ISA" type excuse for his absence.

And on a different topic, but one much discussed here - Abigail.  LOL.  

I don't hate her like a lot of posters do, but she is not one of my favourite characters. I would not have minded if she and Ben had left Salem.  I've actually liked some of their scenes lately when they've been going on about the baby, but knowing it's all a farce and they will have no happy ending, or likely even happy middle, it's hard to get too invested in their relationship.

And because, unlike when Marlena cheated on Roman with John all those years ago, I wasn't watching when Abigail and Chad were a couple, I don't have the memory of them being so deeply in love that I can believe that she is torn between him and Ben.   

Even though she was also a new to me character, I liked Jordan better than Abigail, and was sorry to see her leave.  I also like Paige better, and will miss her too.

• Love 4

Wow, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying Rafe since he's been back at the cop shop. I bet Galen is glad to finally have something to do. I love his scenes with Hope.

Although I love having Chad as a suspect to push the plot to draw Chabby closer, I hope we get other suspects as well. To keep the story balanced an interesting. To keep the audience guessing who else it might be.

Steve is so much fun to watch. Can't wait to see him and Bo interact. The show is so much more enjoyable right now. I find myself looking forward to watching everyday.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 3

I hate that Sami's exit SL, and Sami/Kate's revenge SL was ruined for EJ and Slappy.  The boring twit said she didn't care if Sami or her children were hurt so long as she got what she wanted, so I don't see why Sami shouldn't have destroyed the pathetic side piece.  I don't care about EJ, Stefano, or Kristen, and if they had all dropped dead of heart attacks when Sami and Kate took control of DE that would have been great.

After 22 years of Sami doing so many stupid crazy things to get some guy, who wasn't worth it, to love her and stay with her, it would have been great for Sami to tell Kate, "I wasted my life none of them, especially EJ were worth it, and I'm not wasting anymore time trying to be something I'm not for some idiot man.  My children and grandchild are what are important.  They love me, and that is what matters."

While the new writers might have changed some SLs, it still looks like Ken Corday has a lot of control, and that is not good.  I don't see why it's necessary to make Aiden a bad guy, or why Paige gets killed.  Just about the time Theresa, Nicole, and Kate team up, the truth about what Theresa did to Xander will come out.  What a waste.

• Love 9

It's curious how no one here really seems to discuss John and Marlena's relationship.

:) Y'all are over it, right? Already said your piece, or just consider it too boring and lame to dissect, right?

I just felt like reminding Marlena that even with an extra month, John still won't have an explanation for wanting to bed Kristin after she slept with his son.

• Love 2

I honestly don't care. I wasn't watching during original John/Marlena, I don't like Drake as an actor. I do have a fondness for Dee, going back to the early 80s, so if Marlena is happy I'm good with that

• Love 2

I don't care about John or Marlena.  This is one of the side results of repetitive SLs that go nowhere.  At one time, Roman/Marlena/John had interesting SLs, now they don't, and haven't in years.  I also don't care about Kristen.  She is as much of a pathetic cartoon joke as Stefano has become. 

That's another reason Sami and Kate's revenge should have been followed through on, and Nicole should have joined them.  When it was all over, Sami left town with her children in control of CW after her visit with EJ at the jail where she told him she knew everything.  Kate and Nicole split up the rest of DE.  They turned all the criminal evidence they found against the Dimeras over to Rafe, Roman, Abe, and Hope. 

Sami had sex with either Rafe or Lucas before she left Salem, telling him he was the love of her life, but she knew he didn't accept the real her, and she would ruin things for them again at some point so she is moving on.  Kate and Nicole are the ones who go to tell Sami spineless despicable drug dealing EJ is dead.  Sami's response, "So Stefano might have him stashed on an island for the next ten or twenty years?  Let's hope it's longer."  Stefano is rotting away in jail realizing his biggest mistake was not recruiting Sami, Kate, and Nicole to be his henchmen.

Bo and Steve's returns should bring a new villain to Salem.  Aiden should not be a bad guy.  Xander should have been kept around as a grey character.  Theresa accusing Xander of rape never should have happened.  Chad and Theresa should hook up.  Clyde tries to kill Kate, after Kate reminds Clyde and everyone else why she is way more dangerous than Clyde ever thought about being.  Kate kills Clyde with Sami and Nicole's help, they toss him in the river, and get away with it.

• Love 7

John and Marlena just aren't on my radar at all. I usually fast forward them, especially last week when things got romantic. Ick. It's like watching my parents or something, and I'm not far from their age in real life. I like knowing they're in a good place when they are, but I don't miss them when they're not around. 

• Love 7

I was on another board and we were discussing kim, Shane and Theresa..This is what the poster wrote and I wanted to share it with you guys...

This is what the poster said, and  I agreed wholeheartedly with their take on Theresa's comments about Kim and her dreams...

I have a lot of trouble seeing Kim and Shane as neglectful parents, because we saw enough of them as parents on the show -- to Eve and Andrew -- to know that they cared deeply for their kids. Yes Shane had assignments that took him away from home, but he almost always took extended periods in between at home. We also know that, for some extended period during Jeannie's childhood, she lived at Donovan Manor in England, not with Kim. When Kim had MPD in fall 1992, she sent the kids to stay with Shane and they were still there when she returned to California in 1993. They also were with Shane when Kim returned to Salem on a couple of occasions. As for Kim, I don't see her ever squashing her children's dreams. The show tried to play it as Kim thought Jeannie was not being practical with her drawing, but Kim was a former photographer.

I could buy that Theresa's perception is not completely accurate. Maybe Shane missed a few key events in Theresa's life. Certainly, that could have happened when he was in prison for an extended time. And Kim may have pushed Theresa to focus on academics, which a teen took as rejecting of her artistic dreams. Unfortunately, there is no nuance to how the story is being written and nobody is defending Shane and Kim. That's part of my frustration that Theresa's new confidante is Maggie. If she were talking to Kayla or Marlena, they could fall back on their own histories with Shane and Kim and provide some counterpoint.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

John and Marlena are okay in my book :)  I can't see either character with anyone else and they did seem important to Days history. So there romance is cool for the 50th anniversary.

Teresa seems like she is still a teenager to me.  When did she start with the drugs?     Maybe they stunted her development. Perhaps the way she describes her childhood is how she really views it.  It may not be accurate but it is how she sees it.  When we are teenagers we see things differently then when we are adults.  I actually really like Teresa (the actress more than the character) but why does she think she gets to start at the top?  Most people have to work there way up the ladder.  Maybe that's what Kim & Shayne really told her.  She needed to work at it not expect things handed to her.  I can see Teresa thinking that was not being supportive.

• Love 3

John and Marlena are okay in my book :)  I can't see either character with anyone else and they did seem important to Days history. So there romance is cool for the 50th anniversary.

Teresa seems like she is still a teenager to me.  When did she start with the drugs?     Maybe they stunted her development. Perhaps the way she describes her childhood is how she really views it.  It may not be accurate but it is how she sees it.  When we are teenagers we see things differently then when we are adults.  I actually really like Teresa (the actress more than the character) but why does she think she gets to start at the top?  Most people have to work there way up the ladder.  Maybe that's what Kim & Shayne really told her.  She needed to work at it not expect things handed to her.  I can see Teresa thinking that was not being supportive.

Exactly, I wish the show had played up the angle that Theresa is of British aristocracy and is wealthy via Shane. If I am not mistaken, Bo and Hope got married on the Donovan estate in England.  I really need kim, Shane and Andrew on the scene to tell us about  the Donovan household from their perspective, and not just Theresa, who is a compulsive liar..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

Their perspective is just that - their perspective.  Having Kim, Shane, and Andrew on to somehow refute Theresa's feelings would only further prove her point.  Her feeling steamrolled doesn't mean Kim and Shane were bad or neglectful parents (which is something she never claimed anyway); maybe they think whatever they did made them good parents? 

I don't mind John and Marlena in small doses on their own, or as supporting players in a frontburner story.  I've actually liked Marlena quite a bit as a psychologist (or psychiatrist?) to Clyde.  She's played her ambivalence with him very well, so much so that until recently I wasn't sure exactly how she felt about him.

• Love 3

The new writers have certainly stepped up to the plate - I love that they are giving some reason for why characters have acted the way they have (i.e. Theresa) Gives them depth and credibility.   Nice to see the characters having a back story again, instead of the one-dimensional characters we have been seeing.  

This piece pretty much says it all:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/days-of-our-lives-peter-reckell-interview-128553624370.html

That being said, I wonder how long Dena Higley's leave will be, and if/how much it will effect the "new" direction the show has taken (returning to its roots)?

• Love 6

Another big thanks to salvame for that link! What a great interview - PR sounds so positive and enthusiastic it almost (almost) makes me forget my hatred of Higley from OLTL. Hey, if the show can be as good as all the actors are saying, then I'm all for it.

It was very cool hearing PR's take on things, such as how much shows lose when they drop the platonic and familial relationships of longtime characters. I especially liked what he said about the Bo/Roman/Pop triangle really being so important in establishing the character of Bo. And I chuckled when he admitted to being in love with Lauren (little Ciara) and how disappointed he was that she was replaced. Hee.

• Love 7

I hope Dena Higley stays gone.  I'm betting the good scenes are courtesy of Josh Griffith (I think that is his name), and some of the new writers.  Ken Corday can exit stage left at any time to.  The show would be better without him.

I would rather Theresa be talking to one of the Bradys or Anne instead of Maggie, but at least we are finally getting some insight into Theresa.  TomSell's and Corday's idea of character development is having everyone run around Salem saying so and so is bad or so and so is good.

I wonder if they will try to fix the train wreck that is Will, or if they will cut their losses.  They could send Will to visit Sami, and recast, but that will only solve part of the problem.

• Love 5

I'm still stunned over the annoying-ting of the Failure as a Royal Princess. 

Will's just a Princess Prop now.

Very excited over Theresa and Nicole.  Dreading the BoBomb.

I missed the show today a lot.

• Love 3

Rumor has it that Will will be taken out by the serial killer...I hope that is not true..Guy Wilson does not bother me like alot of people on here, but I understand the reason for the vitriol against his version of Will...

Which is what I hate when they recast a character on soaps. They completely rewrite them which I don't understand why. Do they try to rewrite to play up the new actor's strength and know what their limitations are. I mean why can't they keep the character on the same pace as they originally written. The new actor can add their own quirks to the character to make the character their own just like Billy Miller and Michael Muhney did on Y&R. The characters were written the same but MM & BM put their own charisma and quirks into the character that made Adam & Billy respectively their characters. They don't have to change the character's personality full circle just because they recast. 

Chandler gave Will likability even though at times Will got on your nerves but CM was still able to make him likable. When GW took over the role, all the likability went out the window for the character of Will because of the writing. If they had showed Will show even a smidgen of empathy for Sami for when she was cheated on and not take the mistress sidepiece side, maybe Will would have been viewed a little differently. The way Will just mocked Sonny's career calling him a glorified barista, that was just low and making it seem like Sonny's job wasn't important, even though Sonny's job was putting a roof over his head and food in his mouth.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 10

I liked the John and Marlena scenes. I appreciate them showing love and romance at all ages, and I really like Marlena. Who else thinks that John made the whole going-to-DC/choosing-Marlena thing up? I don't think the new Marlena with her backbone would have been distracted from her grab for his cell phone so easily, but there it is. From my perspective, I kind of feel bad for Marlena having to kiss John because he always looks like he's going to eat her face. So, you know, my feelings are mixed lol. I'm not that invested in them as a couple. As someone said upthread, I like Marlena in her role as shrink/truth-teller. She has wisdom and insight and she deploys it well IMO.

I can tell the actress prefers to be covered up, but I did wonder, during the bedroom scene, why Marlena was wearing Dick Van Dyke's pajamas.

• Love 2

I love that they showed the knife tattoo on Bo's back. Given that I've been watching the Steve/Kayla story from the beginning there's a whole section of story that is devoted to the knife tattoos that Bo and Steve have (who gives a shit about Britta and hers) and I've been wondering if those tats disappear at some point when production gets tired of putting them on.

But there's Bo's! 

It made me happy.

• Love 9

Which is what I hate when they recast a character on soaps. They completely rewrite them which I don't understand why. Do they try to rewrite to play up the new actor's strength and know what their limitations are. I mean why can't they keep the character on the same pace as they originally written. The new actor can add their own quirks to the character to make the character their own just like Billy Miller and Michael Muhney did on Y&R. The characters were written the same but MM & BM put their own charisma and quirks into the character that made Adam & Billy respectively their characters. They don't have to change the character's personality full circle just because they recast.

Chandler gave Will likability even though at times Will got on your nerves but CM was still able to make him likable. When GW took over the role, all the likability went out the window for the character of Will because of the writing. If they had showed Will show even a smidgen of empathy for Sami for when she was cheated on and not take the mistress sidepiece side, maybe Will would have been viewed a little differently. The way Will just mocked Sonny's career calling him a glorified barista, that was just low and making it seem like Sonny's job wasn't important, even though Sonny's job was putting a roof over his head and food in his mouth.

I agree with this entire post. Chandler's Will could be annoying at times, a bit too passive, but had an Everyman quality and down to earth way about him. He was a also a bit more understated. These things translated to being more likable or relatable. GW's Will can come across as smug and sorta petty. He is more dramatic and tense. I got very pissed off and found it super out of character he had no empathy for his mother who just got done saving his ass yet again when his supportive mother was lied to by the side piece that that was sleeping with her fiancé and father of her children. Only a true piece of shit would be so callous. He also has been dissolve of Sonny's feelings and goes around cheating arbitrarily now. He's become a disrespectful little shit.

• Love 4

I'm going to guess that's a tie of Chad's. Dimera gate key, now a tie. Good but too obvious frame up.

JJ should know who really did it and if he thinks it's Chad and lets him take the fall he deserves to be jailed too.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2