Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Cold Blooded

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Cleen is so irritating, he's a good artist who will more than likely make it to the finale but goodness, he swears he's the be all to end all. About time Mark did something good, don't know if it's too late or not. Booberella can't do shit and IDK why she's still in the game. I wish it was an elimination flash challenge cause I'm sure she would have went home. The whole argument between Cleen and Mark couldn't have been more scripted and just wreaked of producers pulling the strings on it.

I got a good laugh out of Mark, Booberella, and Cris going after Cleen even though they been in the bottom how many times? Mark's Jesus tattoo is ugly, I didn't like it at all. Aaron's wasn't that bad. Erik's Jesus looks cross-eyed. Booberella still sucks, just hideous. Cleen's Jesus face was hideous and hit the nail on the head when he said he looked like a muppet. Cris' didn't look that bad, I could tell that it was Jesus.

Go Josh!!! He shut them all up and showed that he can tattoo on the ribs and did a fantastic job.

Booberella that argument is just tired, it's down the toilet, in the sewers, and washed out to sea. Try again. Oh wait, she's gone and all I can say is YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! Gonna do cartwheels all over my house now. 

• Love 2

If any episode needed a double elimination, this was the one. I agree with Emily going home, especially since it looked like her Jesus was giving two thumbs up. If I had my way, Cris would've went home as well because that was a very poor representation of Jesus. Jesus is known for the the Crown of Thorns and for being emaciated from malnourishment. Why did Cris give his Jesus tattoo a normal crown and make him ripped? Mark's tattoo looked like a cartoony Jesus head. I agree with Cleen that Tommy's tattoo was way too dark, although Cleen's tattoo was bad as a whole.

In any case, I think I'm done with this show once and for all. All of the complaining and scripted arguments are just tiring to watch. I think I'll just watch Best Ink if that show comes back for a 4th season.

• Love 1

I totally forgot to watch this episode tonight so I came into the episode thread to see what I missed. When I saw that Emily had FINALLY been eliminated, I did a happy dance. Now I am really looking forward to watching this episode just to see her elimination. It's about freaking time!

• Love 2

IMHO, they must have been obligated to love the guest judge's work. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't the second coming, although Nunez acted as if it was.

Josh. F.T.W.

Huge sigh of relief that Emily is finally gone, but Chris' autopsy Jesus with the King Arthur style crown should have gone with her.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

*LOL* Pepper!  

autopsy Jesus

Such a perfect description!

I've actually been enjoying this season, as I mute all conversations between the inktestants and just listen to the judges and canvas'.  SO happy to have Emily gone.  

Previews from next week look dramatic, but what could Josh have been doing that's "wrong"?

• Love 1

This is a great kind of challenge because it was comparing apples to apples. It's not a motif that means anything to me (not being Christian), but it's something that every artist out there will be called upon to do on a fairly regular basis and it's a great test to see where they really stand as artists.

I had a feeling that this was Emily's week to leave during her total meltdown during the flash challenge, but even if I found her the sweetest person on the planet, that tattoo should rightfully send her home. It was badly out of proportion and the judges were right that she didn't adjust the design to fit the body part she was tattooing. That is beyond a rookie mistake. Other tattoos last night had flaws, but Emily's was the only one that was a total train wreak.

I think that the artists who chose to do large designs had an advantage with this challenge because it gave them a lot of room to really show off the shading that the judges were looking for. The smaller designs just don't allow for the room for those subtle, smooth effects and it showed in the final work. Mark's design was pretty good, but he didn't get in that soft light to dark shading. I very much liked Don's approach, which was both unique and had some lovely shading and Erik's was classic and well done. Did not like Chris's overly stylized design at all.

Cleen is a great artist, but damn if he's not fucking annoying already. And it was nice to see him have a major stumble. That face on his Jesus was really bad and it ruined the tattoo for me. I also didn't think that the saturation of black in the background was strong enough to make the crucifix in the foreground really pop. It wasn't his best week and it was nice to see him taken down a peg or two. Jason's was very good, if not terribly exciting.

Josh's hit all the marks that the judges were looking for, and he also got to shove it in his competitor's faces that he's more than capable of tattooing on difficult areas. I don't blame him for trying to get clients to change spots if he thinks that a design won't work well in the place they wanted, or if what they want won't work within their time limits (since this is a competition), but he's certainly able to do good work when his client doesn't change their mind.

• Love 3

I didn't think Cris's work (technique, whatever--I don't know what I mean) was terrible--it seemed very nice and neat and sharp (too sharp in the abs, though). But that Jesus looked like King Neptune!

Emily's was so no good--and while I dislike her immensely, I actually thought her peacock and her octopus tree weren't so awful (I know, I know--that's crazy of me). This one, though--ugh. Bah.

I might be nuts but I did not think the famous tattoo guy's Jesus was so great.

ETA: Day off work today, and I'm heading off to my tattoo man at 2! Whoo!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Love that Josh went balls out. "Give me ribs? On a canvas that doesn't have other tats in my way? Fine. I'm gonna do the WHOLE ribs, though, from armpit to waist, and I'm gonna beat y'all doing it."

Josh was smart in how he approached this. This particular challenge was well served by doing as big a piece as he could manage in the time limit. That gave him lots of room to show all that smooth shading and gradation that he's shown that he can do before. And the design was pretty damn fantastic, even to the point that the rib cage on his Jesus was distorted because in a crucifixion, the victim suffocates (gravity does 90% of the killing work because the rib-cage is hyper-expanded and they can't draw a full breath).

And yeah... having it shoved in his competitors faces that he can beat them at their own games and handle whatever challenge they try to throw in his way was just icing on the cake.

Edited by Hana Chan

It shows how smart he is and gives reasons as to why he talks the canvas into putting it on a different location than what they want. Especially the guy he talked into not doing a rib tattoo because he lost some weight and he was fleshy around that area. So Josh isn't doing it for the sake of getting out to do it. He showed last night that he can tattoo any part of the body. I knew Mark was going after him because he was asking the canvases on whether or not they were lenient on moving their tattoos. 

• Love 2

I'm amazed that most these inktestants actually find work as tattooers.  Most of them have been shockingly bad this season. I wonder how long production had to sift through applicants to find enough for Josh to be better than. I mean, Josh is good but he isn't all that good. There is Jason who is good but with the anxiety he's hit or miss. Everyone else has had some real goobers, Josh included. Yes, Josh you are the leader of this very, very mediocre pack. BFD.

While a double elimination would have taken away the awesomeness of Emily's banishment - and I went "YES!" at my TV when Dave said it - the King Neptune Autopsy Jesus absolutely had to go, too. There were too many bad Jesuses.  I mean, Chris is still there? Mark Longnecker (despite his cool blood drawing) is still there? Thin the herd!

the King Neptune Autopsy Jesus absolutely had to go, too. 

Now, now, just because Jesus was dying on the cross doesn't mean he wasn't ready for a cage match.  That's a Jesus that could kick your ass.  Or at least be really good at taking punches to the abs.  

For execution, Emily's was godawful (in duel ways).  For design King Neptune Autopsy Jesus was hideous.  I also hated the Jesus inside the cross motif.  He's on a cross inside a cross - give the poor guy a break.  he had a short, hard life.   

I'll let my sacrilegious self out now.

• Love 4

I actually liked Jesus inside a cross, I thought if you're going to force me to put a Jesus tattoo on myself (and you would have to force me) then that's a cooler one to have.  Then I thought the inevitable "Jesus in a Brandy Snifter!" (lifting from SNL)

I'll have to sit over here all by myself because I'm sorry Emily's gone.  That girl CRACKED ME UP with her bullshit.  She developed a timely cancer scare.  She kept threatening the other contestants that she was going to come gunning for them--as if that's somehow a viable scenario in this competition.  I was literally laughing out loud with her whole "I don't even have my engines warmed up yet" defense.  And everyone responded like that was some kind of legitimate argument!  Hohohoho.

Was the goofy looking Jesus "new age"?  That's not a good match for subject and style.  It looked more like Burger King.

Kudos for the virgin canvas who didn't tap out during the rib tat.  I've heard those are painful. . .

I think Emily's goodbye proved how authentic she was.  She came on to be an over-the-top ass and create a character.  And she did, so...awesome for her. 

Sunglasses always skew my vision of colors and shades and such, so I was surprised to see the judges wear them during the flash challenge.

Most interesting part for me was the preview for next week, though. I hope it lives up to its promise.

Bye bye Boobs!

Literally.  As they always shoot for, we get to the point we reach every season where they drum out the last female artist.  The problem, of course, is that they only cast shit female artists, never good ones.  Just so they can reach this point.

Hallelujah! I thought they were going to let that freak show go on and on. Those legs were totally FUBAR. i know there are some tattoo artists that post here...is there anyway something like that can be fixed?

I took a look at some of the artitsts' portfolios. Yikes. Some of them were so bad. Ty'esha's especially. I doubt if she could even do a good job with a paint-by-number pic.

I had to laugh at Jason's comment about the guy that wanted all that stuff on his back "this guy wants toads and frogs and hamburgers and a spaceship.....Isn't Jesus enough?" I really like Jason's attitude; in this competition and last season he really seemed to get along with everyone and yeah he had his problems with Josh but it never was an over-the-top anger like so many others, just normal stress stuff.  I would get a tattoo from him!

#teamjason

• Love 4

I laughed out loud when Jason mentioned "toads and frogs and helicopters."

Cleen also took the wrong approach with his canvas, he could have simply said, "we don't have the time for everything you want, but you can always add that other stuff later on." I thought he was an ass to that guy.

• Love 3

Bye bye Boobs!

Literally.  As they always shoot for, we get to the point we reach every season where they drum out the last female artist.  The problem, of course, is that they only cast shit female artists, never good ones.  Just so they can reach this point.

The really good female artists are probably too booked for this mess.

Hallelujah! I thought they were going to let that freak show go on and on. Those legs were totally FUBAR. i know there are some tattoo artists that post here...is there anyway something like that can be fixed?

It would be a really tough one to fix.  I was trying to think of how I would fix it. I don't know that I would even try.

• Love 2

Bye bye Boobs!

I'd imagine their choice to go with "rivals" limited the casting options this time around.  Their pool can't be very large anyway (people who think it's a smart business decision to go on a show where their work will be mocked by arrogant judges, and they'll likely come off looking like a jackass).  Then they had to find two people who hate each other and agree it's a good idea to share that with the viewing audience (frankly, I'd refuse to go on just to piss off my rival even more).  Then, from within that they have to find women.  

It's a pretty narrow field.  Finding a talented artist (male or female) would just be a bonus, I suppose.

• Love 2

The legs were way too short.  The arms were also short compared to the body.  And the cross was curved.  I think she accidentally gave Jesus a form of dwarfism.   

I'd imagine their choice to go with "rivals" limited the casting options this time around.  Their pool can't be very large anyway (people who think it's a smart business decision to go on a show where their work will be mocked by arrogant judges, and they'll likely come off looking like a jackass).  Then they had to find two people who hate each other and agree it's a good idea to share that with the viewing audience (frankly, I'd refuse to go on just to piss off my rival even more).  Then, from within that they have to find women.  

It's a pretty narrow field.  Finding a talented artist (male or female) would just be a bonus, I suppose.

I don't see the women on this season as any worse than the previous seasons.  i think they've all been uniformly bad.  Even the much talked about Tatu Baby (who face it, wasn't likely audience popularity voted back for a second season for her artistic skills).

• Love 1

Seeya Emily, you crazy bitch. LOL

I thought Chris should've gone home too, his Jesus was just horrible.

Most interesting part for me was the preview for next week, though. I hope it lives up to its promise.

I'm intrigued by what Josh said. Something along the lines of the other artists have bought something to his attention that he's been doing that is clearly against the rules of the competition. It couldn't be tracing again, because he wasn't tossed out fot that in his previous season, so I wonder what the hell it could be and if it means he'll be gone or is it just another dramatic storm in a teacup?

They've spent an entire season position Josh to win for whatever reason, my personal guess is that he has photos of Oliver having hot butt sex with a goat. So, it would have to be really bad for them to let him go now. I bet they will hand-wave what ever it is, away.  I'd love to be wrong.

• Love 2

and here I was under the impression that Emily WASN'T READY TO GO! and would have to be dragged out kicking and screaming :-(  I really was waiting for a refusal to go or some other crazy - I am dissapoint

maybe she saw the guys in the white coats parked out the back LOL

• Love 2

Ha, no kidding! How many times have we seen her tell the judges that they would have to drag her out of there? And how many weeks have we seen her in the stew room telling the other contestants that she isn't ready to go home, she's ready to fight, blah blah blah? I was certain that when she got eliminated she would have a screaming hissyfit. I was expecting her to throw stuff and then cling to the wall while two people picked her up to remove her from the set. Instead, nothing. Not surprising though since Emily was all talk about everything else.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I'm amazed that most these inktestants actually find work as tattooers.  Most of them have been shockingly bad this season. I wonder how long production had to sift through applicants to find enough for Josh to be better than. I mean, Josh is good but he isn't all that good. There is Jason who is good but with the anxiety he's hit or miss. Everyone else has had some real goobers, Josh included. Yes, Josh you are the leader of this very, very mediocre pack. BFD.

I have thought the same thing this season. No one is a real stand out or impressive. After watching past seasons & other shows like Best Ink & Epic Ink, you can clearly see these artists are no where near their level. Epic Ink has some of the best art I've seen. This show has turned into more of characters trying to play the villain to get attention. Emily's poses & faces were so put on, it's like they are all auditioning to make sure they get to come back like Tattoo Baby, Kyle or Josh did. There is no one there that I can honestly say I would be happy to have tattoo me. I wish the show was more about tattooing over drama.

• Love 2
After watching past seasons & other shows like Best Ink & Epic Ink, you can clearly see these artists are no where near their level. Epic Ink has some of the best art I've seen.

Wow, thanks for the tip. Not sure how I missed that entire series, but I just binged it. Some of the most amazing ink I've seen on TV, including from Ami James, Nunez, Kat Von D., etc.

• Love 3
And how many weeks have we seen her in the stew room telling the other contestants that she isn't ready to go home, she's ready to fight, blah blah blah?

Ugh, why does anyone on any competitive reality show say this? So you came here and not only occupied a spot that could have been given to another hopeful tattooist, but also wasted your own and everyone else's time by giving half-assed ink to unsuspecting people because you weren't really trying your best? Why?! If I were a judge, I'd toss someone not despite him or her saying that, but because of it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I wouldn't let a single one of these clowns come near me with a machine.  

They've spent an entire season position Josh to win for whatever reason, my personal guess is that he has photos of Oliver having hot butt sex with a goat. So, it would have to be really bad for them to let him go now. I bet they will hand-wave what ever it is, away.  I'd love to be wrong.

I know Oliver.  I can't imagine goats would be his thing.  Sheep... maybe.  But not a goat.

• Love 2

... After watching past seasons & other shows like Best Ink & Epic Ink, you can clearly see these artists are no where near their level. Epic Ink has some of the best art I've seen...

Thanks ! Never heard about if before, but... download in process :D

Hee, I don't know Oliver but he comes across as fairly narcissistic and he is goat-like to me so I thought he'd find them sexy. It's the long skinny facial hair and that he's always chewing that reminds me of a goat.  

He's actually not as narcissistic as he comes across... at least not all the time.  He's pretty much a wild man, though.  And foot in mouth disease seems to be a constant issue.  And I think he'd go more for the fluffiness of the sheep.

Edited by AllieP
  • Love 1

Good to hear. Compare the work & let me know.

To compare ? But there's nothing to compare ! Two different worlds. One is called art <3, the other one.... is... not called at all :D because it seems so... "useless" compared to the other one...

(Marathon ended. Thanks for sharing once again :D)

Yay Emily got kicked to the curb.

All I have to say about the Jesus tats are, Emily's Jesus looked like he was trying to jump off that cross. Apparently, Jesus himself felt the tattoo was shitty and he wanted nothing to do with it.