Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Inā Paha (If Perhaps)

• Start Topic

Oh, wow.  That was disturbing, I couldn't enjoy the hot bod it was brutal.

And I was soooo confused by huh?  Surfer lipstick girl, Danny in a Hawaiian Shirt shooting up people, and poor Jorge sitting on the street with like, aluminum foil head.  I kept wondering when did this happen?!!!  LOL...thanks for the episode description, that helped a lot.

Oh, and the fresh shrimp request, rofl now.

The montage was amazing at the end, as was the song,  Violently violent, but poignantly poignant too. 

• Love 2

Oh, wow.  That was disturbing, I couldn't enjoy the hot bod it was brutal.

And I was soooo confused by huh?  Surfer lipstick girl, Danny in a Hawaiian Shirt shooting up people, and poor Jorge sitting on the street with like, aluminum foil head.  I kept wondering when did this happen?!!!  LOL...thanks for the episode description, that helped a lot.

Oh, and the fresh shrimp request, rofl now.

The montage was amazing at the end, as was the song,  Violently violent, but poignantly poignant too. 

The problem I had was trying to figure out what was Mo Fat's plan and it was a little confusing why Steve thought he was experiencing another life.  But it reminded me of the 70's shows major plot use of drugging someone so you could brainwash them into a different life.  So I wasn't clear if it was supposed to be Steve escaping into a dream world or Mo Fat attempting to make Steve believe they were brothers so he would give him the information he wanted.

The ending was powerful, Danny's face when Steve asked for his father and all the moments that made me fall for this show in season 1.  So far I am really enjoying this season and I hope they continue with the extra's adding to the show and not stealing moments away from the core group. 

I will admit I was surprised they killed Mo Fat as I thought in the original he didn't die.  Still it left me wanting more and that is a good thing.  A powerful 100 ep and well I've expect lots of shoot outs on this show. :)

ETA:  I hate when you find a mistake after you post!

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 4

The wasn't exactly if Steve hadn't joined 5-0. Many other changes like Danny already dropping the tie and Chin Ho still being on the force were in place.

Until Max autopsy's the body Wo Fat has not died.

• Love 2

I thought that episode was a lot of fun and I couldn't help but laugh at Danno being a psycho cop with his disturbing but hilarious interrogation of Hess.  Also enjoyed Badass Kamekona.  Noticed that Jenna Kaye popped up briefly...never expected to see her again.

Always fun to see Sang Min and his interaction with Lou was great.  I was wondering when they had picked him up again all of a sudden and they explained that in the episode.

I suppose this is the end of Wo Fat and it was a brutal sendoff (lot of torture and brutality in this one) with a great fight scene.  If it is the end, I wonder if his father will reemerge to be the new villain.

Mercifully, this FINALLY looks like the end for the Shelburne storyline.  The revelation with Steve's Mom raising Wo Fat I found to be silly and definitely not worth years of mystery around it though it was kind of thought of.  I liked Wo Fat being just evil, not having Daddy/Mommy issues.

While not technically what would have happened if McGarrett didn't join 5-0, it was still a very fun alternate universe story.  It was nice to see what would have happened with his father had his father lived.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Mercifully, this FINALLY looks like the end for the Shelburne storyline.  The revelation with Steve's Mom raising Wo Fat I found to be silly and definitely not worth years of mystery around though it was kind of thought of.

Exactly! What a lame ending to years of "Leave it alone, Steve, you don't want to know!" But if we never have to see Doris again, I'm fine with it.  Wo Fat looked pretty dead to me.  I hope they just leave it that way and don't somehow resurrect him.

I know Sang Min is a criminal but he is such a fun character!

The show was such a mix of sadness and brutality and humour.  Loved Kamekona as a criminal and Danno with the Hawaiian shirt.

The montage at the end was wonderful, very fitting for the 100th episode.  I even saw Catherine in there, or more likely her stunt double, riding away on her motorcycle in Afghanistan.

I thought it was one of their better episodes.

• Love 2

As brutal as the episode was, I thought it was the best I've ever seen Alex O'Loughlin.  It's the first time I've seen that character truly vulnerable, and I think Alex did a great job.  The end when Danny and the group come in, and Steve is so hyped up on drugs, he still believes his father is alive, and when he realizes that he isn't, he breaks down a bit.  His group is not use to seeing him like that, and it broke my heart a bit.  

The ending montage was really nice, and I wonder if that was the last of the drugs coursing through Steve's system.  Remember that Wo Fat gave him one last injection during their fight.  I also liked that during the questioning, Steve dreaded whenever they were about to give him more of the drugs.  Naturally, that makes sense, but it was good how you saw the fear and dread play out on Alex's face.  Nice job.  

I'm sad to see Wo Fat go, but at the same time, there's only so many times he and Steve can meet up before it had to end.  So I'm okay with him being gone, and that Steve was the one to take him out.  My impression from the episode was that while Steve was on the chemicals they were pumping into him, he was imagining, as a way of coping with the torture, what if his father had survived and met the people currently in his life.  I did love the reversal of Steve being more conservative in how to question perps and Danny was the crazy gung-ho guy who loves wearing Hawaiian t-shirts.  

Great 100th episode, and I have to say, this has been a great season so far.  There's been some real drama and surprises with the characters.

• Love 5

Beyond McGarrett's dad surviving there were a few key differences in how things played out:

Danny was in NYC on 9/11, implying that the situation where his partner was killed didn't happen. Witnessing 9/11 directly apparently turned Danny into a cheerful psychopath. However, his marriage has done well. Danny also drives his own car!

Kono never blew out her knee and went on to be a four time world champion surfer. This is the strangest aspect of McGarrett's fantasy. As much as I want to say he wishes he had never brought her into 5-0 the implication seems to be more that she is of no use to the team whatsoever and is just a pretty face that should be selling cosmetics. Harsh.

Chin never got caught up in his family's troubles and thus was able to become Captain at HPD. We don't find out if Malia survived or not.

Max is a doctor at the hospital rather than being the coroner.

Jerry is homeless and nutty as hell, only worthy of a "look at that poor bastard... well, this is Hawaii so I guess he doesn't have it that bad."

Jenna Kaye is alive and searching for her husband! Great little cameo there.

Kamekona has some badass tribal tats all over his head, lives comfortably in Halawa and has very little sense of humor. Nice to see they remember that the big guy originally started off as a much greyer character.

Wo Fat was raised by Doris, officially making her the worst mother ever. But Wo Fat has a dad and he's going to be pissed!

It occurs to me that this episode would work well as a series finale... we're back with a new episode next week I hope!

• Love 2

Actually the next new ep apparently doesn't air until November 21st--there's a new Hollywood awards special this Friday, the 14th. Carol Burnett returns in the next ep as Steve (& Mary)'s Aunt Deb, & brings along music legend Frankie Valli with her in another guest role.

Beyond McGarrett's dad surviving there were a few key differences in how things played out:

Danny was in NYC on 9/11, implying that the situation where his partner was killed didn't happen. Witnessing 9/11 directly apparently turned Danny into a cheerful psychopath. However, his marriage has done well. Danny also drives his own car!

Kono never blew out her knee and went on to be a four time world champion surfer. This is the strangest aspect of McGarrett's fantasy. As much as I want to say he wishes he had never brought her into 5-0 the implication seems to be more that she is of no use to the team whatsoever and is just a pretty face that should be selling cosmetics. Harsh.

Chin never got caught up in his family's troubles and thus was able to become Captain at HPD. We don't find out if Malia survived or not.

Max is a doctor at the hospital rather than being the coroner.

Jerry is homeless and nutty as hell, only worthy of a "look at that poor bastard... well, this is Hawaii so I guess he doesn't have it that bad."

Jenna Kaye is alive and searching for her husband! Great little cameo there.

Kamekona has some badass tribal tats all over his head, lives comfortably in Halawa and has very little sense of humor. Nice to see they remember that the big guy originally started off as a much greyer character.

Wo Fat was raised by Doris, officially making her the worst mother ever. But Wo Fat has a dad and he's going to be pissed!

It occurs to me that this episode would work well as a series finale... we're back with a new episode next week I hope!

Just watched the 100th episode. It was an interesting story & one of the most violent episodes ever. I thought they put a good twist on a flash forward/flashback story. I thought Kono had the weakest "what if" story. I thought Scott Cann looked great (more tan than usual) and, seemed genuinely happy with his flash forward/flashback scenes with McGarett. All in all, a good episode but I want to get back on track with the real show.

• Love 1

I liked the episode okay.  I was happy to finally have an explanation about how Wo Fat is connected to McGarett's family, but for some reason, I found the dialogue to be clunky.  I'm not sure why--it just seemed kind of awkward.

I thought Kamekona's prison requests for fresh shrimp twice a week and Spam (I didn't catch how much) was funny.  I agree that Kono's alt-reality story was kind of lame--it was like they weren't sure what to do with it.

Wasn't Wo Fat's face much more horribly scarred the last time we saw him?  I remember being disappointed that his face was now all messed up, but when I saw him last night it was like his scars were very artfully applied so that he was still pretty darn attractive.  (What little we saw of his chest was pretty bad, though.)

• Love 1

Wasn't Wo Fat's face much more horribly scarred the last time we saw him?

I thought so too.  In fact, I had a hard time even seeing the scars so at first I wasn't sure if that part was real or was in Steve's alternate world.

I thought Kamekona's prison requests for fresh shrimp twice a week and Spam (I didn't catch how much) was funny.

I think he wanted the shrimp because he was sick of Spam.

On the shallow side, I thought I was evil for finding such a lowdown scumbag as Sang Min very attractive - until I googled and found that the actor was one of People's 50 Most Beautiful People - back in 2002 but he's held up well:)

• Love 1

I wrote this in the "Race and Ethnicity" thread, but since it was about this episode, I thought it would be okay here:

Friday night I saw something on Hawaii 5-0 that really bothered me.  I rarely watch that show, but I just happened to catch it because it was their 100th episode.

In it, Steve was kidnapped by Wo Fat (I'm like, hasn't this happened like 2828828 times?) Anyway, Wo Fat had a black woman working with him.  She was a tall, slim, brown skinned black woman with short, natural hair.  I thought she was hot.  Anyway, what bothered me was that Steve, in trying to get away, fights her and eventually kills her.  The scene was quite brutal and after it was over, I shook my head.  I understand why "Shondaland" is so important.  See, I found that scene very racist because I really don't think the show would have cast a white female/Hispanic female/Asian female/light skinned black female for this part.  Despite Lupita Nyong'o as a fashion icon, I have noticed that darker skinned black women are not seen as feminine, in the way other women are.  I mean this fight was brutal, and the way Steve kills her is he wraps something around her neck and strangles her to death and I'm like, no one said something like, "guys, this looks too much like a lynching." 

Anyway, I was offended.

I wrote this in the "Race and Ethnicity" thread, but since it was about this episode, I thought it would be okay here:

Friday night I saw something on Hawaii 5-0 that really bothered me.  I rarely watch that show, but I just happened to catch it because it was their 100th episode.

In it, Steve was kidnapped by Wo Fat (I'm like, hasn't this happened like 2828828 times?) Anyway, Wo Fat had a black woman working with him.  She was a tall, slim, brown skinned black woman with short, natural hair.  I thought she was hot.  Anyway, what bothered me was that Steve, in trying to get away, fights her and eventually kills her.  The scene was quite brutal and after it was over, I shook my head.  I understand why "Shondaland" is so important.  See, I found that scene very racist because I really don't think the show would have cast a white female/Hispanic female/Asian female/light skinned black female for this part.  Despite Lupita Nyong'o as a fashion icon, I have noticed that darker skinned black women are not seen as feminine, in the way other women are.  I mean this fight was brutal, and the way Steve kills her is he wraps something around her neck and strangles her to death and I'm like, no one said something like, "guys, this looks too much like a lynching." 

Anyway, I was offended.

I didn't see this at all.  A lynching?  I honestly never saw that or put that together in that scene.  I was more "Get her, Steve!"  I'm more offended that very few American actors seem to be leads anymore on US tv shows.  That being said, I love Alex and his part on H5O, and I was fine with how Wo-Fat's assistant torturer was killed.  I never once took into account that she was black.  She was just a character who enjoyed torturing, nothing more.  The two men who murdered McGarrett's father were white.  I admire and am pleased with how diversified the cast of H5O actually is:  different races, different genders, different sizes, some gorgeous and some not so gorgeous.  

• Love 10

Well I saw it, yes a lynching.  YMMV.

Yes, a lynching.  I don't remember the last time I saw a white female character killed so brutally by a male character on broadcast TV.  I think a lot of people use the term "diversity" when it's really not diverse.  Say, have there been any brown skinned female characters on that show as a love interest?

• Love 1

Well I saw it, yes a lynching.  YMMV.

Yes, a lynching.  I don't remember the last time I saw a white female character killed so brutally by a male character on broadcast TV.  I think a lot of people use the term "diversity" when it's really not diverse.  Say, have there been any brown skinned female characters on that show as a love interest?

Well if you want to get technical, in acting count how many male parts there on a show vs female, It has been this way for a long time.  Danny's first female partner wasn't white and he named his child after her. 

Personally I didn't see a lynching, I saw someone that could be beautiful but had an evil heart.  I didn't stop and think oh she's dark skin.  It easily could have been a male part and instead was given to a female.  Could it have been someone of another race, I think so.   If this had happened 30 years ago, it would have been a male in the role.  So it is changing.  I guess you have to decide if your offended enough to stop watching, however I'm enjoying this season and I honestly don't share your point of view.  I also don't think that every show has to be politically correct but needs to tell a good story. 

As far as violent...well I've watched several shows that have been showing a lot more, and to be honest they are getting away with a lot more violence and gore than they use to.  But I don't think the intention was to offend, JMV.

• Love 1
Well if you want to get technical, in acting count how many male parts there on a show vs female, It has been this way for a long time.  Danny's first female partner wasn't white and he named his child after her.

I remember that episode, she was played by Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Sidney Poitier's daughter who is herself biracial and fairer skinned; which is kind of my point.  Lighter skinned black women are seen in a more favorable light than darker skinned black women; and BTW, I believe that character was killed violently as well.

• Love 1

I didn't even think of race with Steve and the woman he killed. So, if she had been white it would been okay? I guess that's why everyone has their view. Sorta off topic but I saw Alex & Scott on The a Talk. I know Alex is Austrailian but that was the first time I ever heard him speak with his real voice. I couldn't get over it. Now, I'm really impressed with him as Steve McGarett.

• Love 2

Personally I didn't see a lynching, I saw someone that could be beautiful but had an evil heart.  I didn't stop and think oh she's dark skin.  It easily could have been a male part and instead was given to a female.  Could it have been someone of another race, I think so.  

Exactly.  I never saw any racial undertones in that scene.  In fact, it never crossed my mind.  I saw what you saw.  A cold-hearted woman who worked for Wo-Fat and had no problem torturing someone.  That's it.  

Back on topic:  I love episodes like this one where a character is shown in a different way.  Usually Steve McGarrett is always in complete control and the confident, capable guy in a fight, but Wo-Fat is a great villain.  I think he works well as a villain because he's been around so long and he's equally as good as Steve.  He's just so sadistic as opposed to Steve.  Wo-Fat knows Steve's family, and it made Steve want to know more about Wo-Fat and not kill him.  The dance they have done for five years has been great, but it ultimately had to end.  I do wish the "secret" was that Wo-Fat was really Steve's brother and the DNA was wrong.  I just don't see why Doris had to make a big deal out of keeping everything a secret.

I also think Steve should suffer some PTSD in future episodes.  He has been tortured more than once by Wo-Fat, and throw in his mother and father as part of that tangled web, and he should be having some issues.  I would love to see Steve having some flashbacks.  I was happily surprised to see how good Alex was in his scenes - vulnerable, scared, angry, and resolved all at the same time.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode.  Interesting to see Steve's version of reality, in which his mother died in a car crash and his father is alive and well.  Loved the alternate reality versions of the characters.

Regarding the fight between Steve and his captor... I didn't see a lynching at all.  Wouldn't a lynching by definition involve the brutal murder of a defenceless innocent?  This woman was hardly innocent, and she certainly could hold her own in a fight.  Steve killed her not as some kind of commentary on her race but because it was either her or him, and he fought.

The montage at the end was wonderful, very fitting for the 100th episode.  I even saw Catherine in there, or more likely her stunt double, riding away on her motorcycle in Afghanistan.
LOVED LOVED LOVED the montage at the end.  As a fan of this show from the very first episode, it was great seeing familiar clips and being able to identify many of them.  We actually saw Catherine several times.  Once she was in the group clinking beer bottles (clip right after golf course Grover gets his badge), then her saying goodbye to Steve and driving off on her motorcycle, and a scene on the couch on Halloween with Grace dressed as a bumblebee.  We even saw Lori Weston twice.  And Malia!  Too bad they didn't include Doris or Governor Jean Smart.  But overall, nicely done.

I love this show.  Hope it lasts for more seasons.  Not sure how the ratings are this year, but I'm worried that since it hit 100 episodes (the syndication minimum I think) that they won't be as committed to keeping it around. 

• Love 3

I know that 24 had scores of scenes like this, I'm fairly sure this one has as well. So I don't see it as a race or sex issue -- if anything, the fact that this type of role was given to a good-looking black woman is a step forward.

I think it's kind of cool that both Gotham and H50 have had Grace Jones look-alikes on the past few episodes.

ETA:  Did it bother anyone else when Danny killed the first guy in the cleaners?  They had no proof that there was anything illegal, he wasn't attacking them or anything.  No chance to even surrender, just BLAM.  The next guys did fire on them but that first one was odd.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

I didn't see it as anything other than this show's typical extreme level of violence, but now that you bring it up I can see where it could be viewed as at least suggestive of a lynching. My guess is that this is completely unintentional; it's a small role, it was probably written originally as "Wo Fat Henchman #1" and then during casting someone said, "hey, what if it were a woman?" and the actress they subsequently cast happened to be black. After that, no one likely gave the manner of death a second thought.

I think certain things will give us pause as people of color that won't register with the general population, which would include people of color who aren't the same color as we are. I'm making an assumption that you're black, Neurochick (if I'm wrong, then that's nothing new, I'm wrong a lot); I'm hapa -- Asian and white. So where you notice that there hasn't been a black female character as a love interest, I notice, well, a ton of things that might not necessarily have pinged with you. The Asian/Pacific Islander population of Hawaii is more than 50%; yet the head of 5-0 is white (and his de facto second-in-command is white), the governor is black, the head of SWAT was black, the two Asians on 5-0 are related because of course they are. More than a billion Asians in the world, and evidently we're all cousins. Not to mention that both Chin Ho and Kono are there basically by the grace of Steve; if he hadn't returned to Hawaii, Chin would be working security or in jail and Kono would be, at most, a rookie cop.

That said, while I notice these things, they don't particularly bother me. As I get older, I'm more circumspect when picking my battles on race, and in general I think this show is well-intentioned in this regard (because, seriously, aside from 5-0, where are my TV people? For most of my life it was Mr. Sulu, Arnold from Happy Days, Hop Sing, and ... that's pretty much it). I will say that before this series began and they were still kicking around ideas for it, one of the proposals that looked like it was going to become the final idea -- and the one I wish they had gone with -- was not a straight reboot with the same characters; instead Duke was going to be the head of 5-0 and McGarrett was going to be the half-Native Hawaiian son of Steve McGarrett who was working for Duke. I mean, I'm sure Duke would have died like three episodes in and McGarrett would have taken over, but I just feel like that would have been a more realistic way to go.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1

It was an interesting episode. It took me a while to figure out what was going on in the fantasy sequences. At first I thought the only twist was that Danny and HPD had made it to the McGarrett household before Hess shoots his father, then the shirt, Chin, Kono. So weird.  Ti seemed to represent the best for everyone on the immediate team, but those that surround it were in much rougher shape.

To be honest the whole Wo-Fat storyline seemed very dragged at this point. I had forgotten the stuff about him claiming to be his half brother, and I couldn't recall if he was alive or dead before he showed up again this time. I loved the pacing of it in season one, and it was okay in season 2, but the procedural serialization of the show meant he started fading in and out. The overall conspiracy never quite played out for me. A good climax for the characters.

With regard to the Wo Fat scaring, I think they very much toned it down so that he could shoot fantasy sequence scenes as well as the modern scenes. I noticed he still had the scarring in the fantasy sequence, which didn't make any sense given the timeline of events, but maybe he was only there for one day of shooting so they got him in the makeup chair early and then shot all scenes in one day.

• Love 2

It was an interesting episode. It took me a while to figure out what was going on in the fantasy sequences. At first I thought the only twist was that Danny and HPD had made it to the McGarrett household before Hess shoots his father, then the shirt, Chin, Kono. So weird.  Ti seemed to represent the best for everyone on the immediate team, but those that surround it were in much rougher shape.

To be honest the whole Wo-Fat storyline seemed very dragged at this point. I had forgotten the stuff about him claiming to be his half brother, and I couldn't recall if he was alive or dead before he showed up again this time. I loved the pacing of it in season one, and it was okay in season 2, but the procedural serialization of the show meant he started fading in and out. The overall conspiracy never quite played out for me. A good climax for the characters.

With regard to the Wo Fat scaring, I think they very much toned it down so that he could shoot fantasy sequence scenes as well as the modern scenes. I noticed he still had the scarring in the fantasy sequence, which didn't make any sense given the timeline of events, but maybe he was only there for one day of shooting so they got him in the makeup chair early and then shot all scenes in one day.

Yes to all of this. I actually thought he was dead until he showed up, but to be fair, every time he's shown up in the last 2 seasons I've been surprised since I was thinking he had been killed the last time he was on. The character has long since out lived his purpose and the storyline had long stalled out for me. I truly hope he is finally dead. The scaring stuck out to me too. At one point it was obvious it wasn't as bad as it was shown in the past and then I realized the time line they were showing the scaring was a) either caused by an event we weren't privy to or b) completely impossible in the shown time line. Either way, let it just be over. Watch them drag Doris back in to mourn her lost "son" and then I will have to be annoyed all over again. 

I noticed he still had the scarring in the fantasy sequence, which didn't make any sense given the timeline of events,

Yeah, I was coming here to mention that. He shouldn't have been scarred in the fake world but I chalk it up to it all being Steve's imagination so some real world stuff bled into it.

And maybe someone can answer me since I forget episode orders, but was the last time we saw Wo Fat when he shot Nick Jonas and saved Grover's daughter? Did they ever explain that scenario? It just seems random to have that semi-heroic act and then this brutality. It was like they wanted to have the Wo Fat conclusion be the 100th episode and rushed it a bit. Maybe one more episode leading to this point would've helped. 

But, I'm with the others that if this means no more Doris, I am very happy.

Yeah, I was coming here to mention that. He shouldn't have been scarred in the fake world but I chalk it up to it all being Steve's imagination so some real world stuff bled into it.

And maybe someone can answer me since I forget episode orders, but was the last time we saw Wo Fat when he shot Nick Jonas and saved Grover's daughter? Did they ever explain that scenario? It just seems random to have that semi-heroic act and then this brutality. It was like they wanted to have the Wo Fat conclusion be the 100th episode and rushed it a bit. Maybe one more episode leading to this point would've helped.

But, I'm with the others that if this means no more Doris, I am very happy.

As far as I remember, the last Wo Fat episode (prior to Episode 100) was the S4 Finale (where he rescued Grover's daughter from Nick Jonas' Ian Wright character by shooting him in the head). It would've almost had to have been, considering that was Ep 422 & the 100th ep was only 7 eps later (chronologically), at Ep 507. OK they probably could've had him in 1 of the 1st 6 eps of S5, prior to Ep 507/100, but I'm almost positive they didn't.

As for the seeming suddenness of Wo Fat's death (& he is irrevocably dead, just like Steve's Dad, Governor Jameson, & other characters before him/them; though returning for flashbacks, dream sequences, etc., involving the character--like the character of Steve's Dad does--apparently isn't out of the question), that's discussed by showrunner Peter Lenkov (who also wrote Ep 507/100) in this "post-mortem" of Ep 100 from a recent issue of TVGuide/their website:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hawaii-Five-0-Wo-Fat-Death-Peter-Lenkov-1089100.aspx

If you haven't/anyone else here hasn't read it yet, I recommend doing so. I thought it was enlightening.

Wo Fat is dead? I can't really believe it. Maybe it is part of Steve's drug induced memory??

The Bizarro World of H50 was fun. Danny wanting to be called Danno. He in a Hawaiian shirt, Steve the one in his tie and buttoned up uniform. The white Camaro didn't look like the old one, it was more like the new one. But Danny was driving. They had to add Grover loosing his clubs and Duke trying to help him. Jerry looking like a hobo. And Max as a Dr. Danny interrogating Victor Hess by capping his knees. Steve at first didn't like it. Even with bullets in them he moved them. Kono as the surf champion and Chin Ho as the Captain was cool. There was a nice array of all the ex members in scenarios. Steve at end wanted to go home and Danno talked him into staying. Doris dead in a car accident and John(Jack) ok. Well they called JFK ,"Jack" at times. Would have been also an interesting story in Bizarro 5-0. But would have been better if both were combined a little bit. No Governor Pat Jameson or Captain Vincent Fryer. Could have had Danno working for Frank Delano too, lol Steve does have some wild dreams! I wonder if anyone will hear about it on team? He should have PTSD and see someone on it a few times. I don't know if Shelbourne is is all done. But it should not run the whole story line. Will the CIA still try to stop Steve? Maybe if he stops digging into Doris and Wo Fats life they will. But he will wonder about Wo Fats father. And if Doris did actually raise Wo Fat.

Liked seeing Joe White, Little Steve and Mary, John, Lori, Catherine, Jenna, Malia and any others i missed. Even Sang Min(Funny), and The Hesse's. Sang and Grover and his talk, "MCGarrett, you have been in the sun to long" , or how ever he said it was funny, and the how he is part of 5-0. With his talk to Johnny Moreau and later with Kono in HQ, looking for his desk.

Komekona all macho and with the Fu Manchu mustache and no sense of humor was funny. He thought Steve was a "Strip O Gram," LOL . But he got shrimp for his info. When Kono blocked Adam in his car, I thought in Bizarro 5-0 he was bad again. But she was trying to figure out Wo Fats alias Anthony Shue, I wonder if that name will come back to haunt the team some how? Also will his Father be coming to town? He was looking for his whereabouts.

Steve was continuously drugged and water-boarded and then shocked. Was a great fight scene. First Steve subduing Eris. The flipping the chair, and fight was good. Then he propped her up and waited for Wo Fat. I liked Steve shocking the wet floor and Wo Fat being caught in it. He didn't get a chance to have a shoot out then. But after a good fight sequence between the 2, Steve does shoot him. it was also good that Eris's body blocked those shots early. To talk about her as one poster did, I did not see her being lynched. I was surprised that Steve killed her. I thought she was knocked out at first until Wo-Fat shot her as Steve used her as a shield. I believe she was at first a medical assistant that cared a little for Steve's heath. But later when she shocked him I guessed she was being paid well to help Wo Fat. Maybe she was even a lover? Sure it would have looked better to me if he beat up(killed) one of the guards that were in the stairwell, but he didn't.

I thought it was a good entry for a 100th episode. Nice callbacks to previous character and storylines as well as a wrap up to Wo Fat. Mommy issues seems a weak reason to go bat poo crazy/evil but I suppose people have done worse for less.

The 'what could have been' thing was cool, if for not other reason we got Steve and his dad in several scenes together. What I found interesting was that all the changes were for things that Steve actually had no influence on. Kono's knee blew and Chin was disgraced and Danny split with Rachel long before 5-0 ever formed and Steve being in/out of the Navy wouldn't change that. None of those events hinged on the murder of John McGarrett or Steve forming the task force. Very fun to see an Aloha shirt wearing and Hawaii loving Danno. Bordering on surreal actually, particularly when he shot Hesse. Twice. I'm assuming the 'immunity and means' got passed onto HPD in this alternate reality.

What I took from the hallucinations were the things that Steve *wanted* for his friends. For Chin to keep his career and the respect of his peers, for Danny to be happy with his family, for Max not to have to hang around dead people. Although if that is true, then Steve's subconscious really doesn't like Kamekona or Jerry. 

Broke my heart when he asked for his Dad and Danny had to tell him he was dead. 

Overall, great way to mark the 100th.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

I remember that episode, she was played by Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Sidney Poitier's daughter who is herself biracial and fairer skinned; which is kind of my point.  Lighter skinned black women are seen in a more favorable light than darker skinned black women; and BTW, I believe that character was killed violently as well.

I'm a little late getting to the forums, but I wanted to comment on this. My first responses to the character were that she was beautiful, a doctor, and had a great deal of dignity. During the fight scene, she seemed to handle herself pretty well. I didn't see it as "lynching" during the action, partly because I didn't think she was dead initially, and by the time I realized that, there were other distractions. However, in retrospect, I can see how Neurochick would respond to that killing as a "lynching."  It was an agonizing scene - a little more graphic a strangling than I've seen in a while. I don't think it was a deliberate POC choice/issue, but I could be wrong and I can understand the reaction. This was, even for Hawaii 5-0, an exceedingly violent episode. I looked away a lot of the time - it was too realistic and gratuitous, what with Danny gleefully kneecapping the Irish guy, and the extended brutal fight scenes. 

I did think (even before Steve escaped) that, if you were going to torture somebody, you want to use a sturdier chair. It's not like this was an impulsive act, Wo Fat had to have planned this a while (hell, it wouldn't surprise me if he had his own torture dungeon), so invest in some metal chairs!

Neurochick no one said something like, "guys, this looks too much like a lynching."

Granted I'm a middle class white male, but my thought was that it was somewhat progressive to have a torturer played by a young black woman rather than an aging white man (usually Germanic), but YMMV.

Glad they actually killed Wo Fat. No disrespect to Mark Dacascos, but there are only so many times your Big Bad can break out of prison before somebody goes "Well, he's not escaping from a coffin!" And it was an entirely justified killing too (no "I thought he was going for a gun", he was in genuine fear for his life) which is surprising for show that thinks human rights are for suckers.

• Love 1