Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

I hadn't noticed the interrupting before honestly, until I read the comments.  But after that - wow, you weren't kidding!  In one of the final THs, Jill interrupted Derick literally every few words.  And talked over everything he said.  Yeah he probably thinks it's cute now, but it'll make things awkward in social settings when they "fellowship" with other couples in the future.  *cringe*

Has anyone noticed that Hanny also talks over and corrects Jackson in every TH (well, yeah, but) and poor Michael can never get a word in edgewise with Kynzie jabbering away?  She automatically answers every question.  It must be a thing!

For a family that is normally self involved, it was nice to hear about Josh and Jana talk about Derick's mom, more than once. Jana said that she was so relieved that his mom was there -- and she really looked like she made it. Josh was also pretty nice in saying how hard it must be for Derick to have such happiness and such fear/sadness re his mom collide like that.

If the reception was an open invite and those 1000 people just got popcorn and sheet cake, I'm hoping the private party at home was a bit different. Seemed like that party included the "friends" that they fellowship with on occasion -- Bates; Bontragers; Wallers/Kellers etc. It would have been nice if JB could have catered something for that because at this point all your guests have eaten all day long is sugar -- cake, root beer floats, cookies etc. Even Jill said she was sugared up at the reception. It would have been nice to have some substantial food at the house. Though knowing them, they probably made Jana throw some Stouffers lasagnas in the oven; though I guess if someone hasn't eaten in hours -- even that is better than another cookie. In contrast, the rehearsal dinner was handled nicely; casual fare but it seemed like BBQ and all the fixings. I'm guessing that was Cathy's decision. 

As for Derick's stepdad -- he may not have a very big role in Derick's life. I'm sure he respects Derick and Dan as Cathy's sons, but Derick was 18-19 when his dad died and somewhere within the next 6 yrs his mom remarried; he likely wasn't living in his mom's house much when she did re-marry as he was at college and then Nepal. They may just not know each other that well, and he may not want to act like Derick's step father -- esp given that Derick and Dan both seemed close to their own dad. He may have just viewed himself as Cathy's guest at this $hitshow. Plus I'm guessing he's Cathy's primary caregiver and they JUST left the hospital. It's quite possible that he was terrified that something would go wrong or even that she would be exhausted that night or catch a cold -- and he is the one who would have to "deal" while Derick would be off on his honeymoon. He may have wanted to keep this as short as possible -- come watch the vows, maybe watch them cut the cake and that's it.

Did anyone catch Derick saying something about the "real ceremony"? It was when they were talking to Derick and Jill outside the auditorium after Michelle had gone through the whole -- to the groomsmen stand next to the bridesmaids or all the guys on one side -- thing. Derick said something about how the "real ceremony" matters more, no matter what happens here. I have no idea what he was talking about. Maybe he simply meant the ceremony/religious part is important, not all the other stuff. But did they do the vows privately earlier or later and then do this for the 1000 guests and TLC? Frankly it would have been nice if they had done the vows just for family (meaning parents -- not the 100 siblings) -- just a minister with Cathy and stepdad; JB and Michelle; Dan and Jana and the couple. Cathy could have viewed the real ceremony and been done with it without being exposed to 1000s in an auditorium including a dozen young kids who were right in front of her.

• Love 2

(Shamefaced) I will admit, at the last Fundy wedding my husband and I attended - which was about the same time as Jill's - the Bride and Groom did ask for all of the married couples to kiss as their names were called out. (A Pinterest game to "inspire the bride and groom" and obviously a much smaller wedding.)

Anyway, every single couple did a quick peck and my husband and I winked and said "we'd show them how it's done."

No doubt we looked like Josh and Anna, and I have no doubt a number of people made comments about how inappropriate we were, for all we've been married over 20 years!

No shameface necessary - that sounds sweet.

The thing with Josh was the whole Rayban-wearing, whooping and fist-pumping fraternity acting out. It reminded me that the kids (especially, but not limited to, the girls) in this family are taught that their wedding day will be the happiest day of their lives and their penultimate achievement. No wonder Josh was trying to recapture past glory (minus the handsex, fortunately).

Edited by RandomX

Agree.  I loved that they included Derick's dad's favorite bbq recipe.

Yes!  I forgot to mention this earlier. I was really touched by this. I thought it was a great way to include him.  Actually I felt like the rehearsal dinner overall was nice and much more personal than the wedding - which isn't surprising since I can't imagine doing something all that personal for 1,000ish guests.

• Love 5

As for JB walking up there to say the couple may kiss -- it's the fundie obsession with giving guys "permission" when it comes to daughters. At Zach and Whitney's wedding -- Whitney's dad who I think isn't even fundie -- kissed her FIRST and made Zach wait! At Chad and Erin's, the minister announced to the whole congregation -- just in case they didn't feel awkward enough -- that it was their first kiss, and many men in the congregation -- including the father of the bride -- yelled out "amen," as if a prayer or blessing had just been delivered.

If you don't want to kiss pre-marriage, that's your business but there are better ways to handle it. I knew a few ultra orthodox Jews who did not kiss pre-marriage (very old school arranged marriages), guess what -- they also didn't kiss at the altar. Obviously they were allowed to, but having never kissed before they didn't want to embarrass themselves or their guests. So when the rabbi declared them married, they hugged, walked back down the aisle like normal people, went outside/to a separate room and shared a kiss there without everyone watching. I guess that's way too understated for these people though.

• Love 7

The way Erin played piano is classic, old style Appalachian style.  It's learned by playing by ear -- it's a very distinctly way of playing that actually goes back to Scot-Irish ways of playing stringed instruments in a chord progression.  It's actually the way my mother plays.  She was very disappointed that none of her daughters learned to play that way - but we're all classically trained.  :)

Uh. I have to disagree. The way Erin plays has very little to do with her region of origin. What you're referring to, correct me if I'm wrong, is "old style" , "mountain music"? That style is commonly referred to as pick'n. It's common in Highland Scot music, Celtic string-jig music and Appalachian bluegrass. The thing is, it has nothing to do with piano technique. Erin was trained using the Suzuki method (that was mentioned by Erin and Kelly on United Bates of America). She then received lessons from a teacher who wasn't native to the area and focused on classical approach. Her teachers at the "college" she went to are also not native to Appalachia and teach classical. The extra flourishes and constant refrain are NOT in the style you refer to. In fact, they're glaringly opposite! Scot style, which fed into mountain music, utilizes a perfunctory note with a drone string secondary note. Slide tones are common in the style you're referring to, but that's not the same as the flourishes and chord progressions Erin throws in. Sorry to be so detailed, but I was just discussing this with my best friend and viewing buddy who happens to be a piano player with the Philharmonic and guest lectures on Music evolution and theory at Juliard.

Erin is no more, and no less than, a talented piano player who, as common to a lot of music students, doesn't appreciate a clean, classical sound and thinks that the more she throws in makes her a better player. She completely overplayed the Wedding March.

• Love 10

Barefoot brides are fine as long as the setting suggests it.  This was not the venue for bare feet.  A tac, a pin, a rock, should could have stepped on anything and ruined the entire day.  I can't imagine she left her wedding and the first thing she did at the "honeymoon suite" was soak her feet and scrub the bottoms.  Black and dirty feet sound nasty on your first night of marriage.

Their behavior at the wedding reinforces their "brought up in a barn" image. It seems the logical continuation of allowing the kids to run wild in the house including walking on counters and tables.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 3

I agree with everyone else, Amy looked great!

v6UgFgl.jpg

She's such a camera-ham - and downright giddy most of the time - that she makes me crazy.  I usually grab the remote and mute her when she's on.  But Amy looked 10x nicer than her Duggar cousins at Jill's wedding.  Her dress was very suitable and nice, but the biggest reason was probably her hair.  Clean and controlled. Jill had her usual look as far as I could see - "just-rolled-out-of-bed-with-a-dirty-horse-tail."

• Love 4

So excited for this episode and they are RECAPPING everything again. Stop Stop! I have to fast forward through the whole thing. If my Dad was crying days leading up to the wedding I would be very perturbed. It's normal to cry at a wedding, but if he was coming up to me days before as I was wedding planning and crying. Woah... Why would your Dad be so excited to you kiss? So strange, it's not a testament, no one wants to see you kissing. Your first kiss should be in the basement of when your a teen so no one has to see all that awkwardness;) I agree that Josh and Anna seemed really genuine about their happiness for the couple and worrying about Derrick's mom. Jim Boob and Mechelle it's all about them! Derrick's brother is such a sweetie, real emotions how refreshing.

They all do the same thing for their weddings, why do they think it is different. Josh and Anna were together the morning of the wedding too. Jim Bob asks if they have a chaperone in the church? Are they going to screw in the church bathroom? What the heck? 

Ugh, I lost my quotes and there's no way I'm searching through four pages of posts to find them again . . . sorry!

The stage-style church is a modern trend, and I think it's typically found only in churches that have an exclusively modern worship style--you can correct me if you know otherwise. It's definitely not exclusively a Baptist or fundamentalist thing. Two days ago I visited a Presbyterian church with that sort of set-up. 

I appreciate whoever chimed in that it's unfair to say Michelle's unfeeling simply because she didn't cry. I've been known to cry at camera commercials and stop signs, but I didn't cry at the wedding of one of my daughters; I was super happy--every bit as happy as I'd been when her sister married--but it came out as a big dumb smile instead of tears. I also didn't cry at my mom's funeral; in that case, I was just all cried out. I do think Mechelle's got a screw loose, but it's unfair to other mothers to establish wedding tears as a barometer of material love.

My tolerance of children in weddings is directly linked to whether I know and love the kids involved. Sometimes when I'm getting annoyed at a child in a wedding, I'll try to remind myself of what that child must mean to the family involved. I also tend to be less exasperated with a child who's just wiggling than I am with a child who's purposely showing out and trying to attract attention away from the bridal party.

I'm not much of a cryer either. I didn't cry at any of my children's weddings. I was kind of up tight -- concerned all go well. I was happy and enjoyed them all in their various styles. In each case I knew the new spouses very, very well. I think I had long grown so comfortable with the relationship I was just mostly happy (but uptight in the sense I was kind of throwing a big party). I don't really cry at family funerals either, usually drained by that point. Strangely, when I do a funeral, even for a complete stranger I get a little teary for the gathered family and friends as I speak. I guess I'm just weird. 

• Love 2

I didn't get the impression Josh was jealous, I got the impression he wanted to kiss his wife because it was a happy day! I am sure many other guests kissed their sweeties too.

No wonder Brides get so stressed out nowadays. They can't please anyone. If they served steak, it was rubbery. Or they forgot they had vegan friends. Or, or, or... yikes.

Wow, this really is so true - there's no way to ever please everyone. Now I understand that cookies, cake and lemonade can be very standard for weddings in the fundie world, and in the South. But there's one thing I still think is pretty cruddy - that there was no seating/minimal seating for all those people. As if seating would make people lounge around longer and prevent the real party - the one they're not asked back for - from getting started at the TTH. Many people came a long distance, many volunteered to help, many gave a gift - and yet the Duggars can't give them a couple of comfortable hours with their little cookie plates and ice cream floats? Anyway you look at it, that's just really poor...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 7

If this was said previously, I apologize. I didn't read all the way back. I think it showed just how odd this family is when Jackson was talking to Derrick before the wedding. What 10 year old ring boy discusses the wedding kiss with the groom. It's just not normal.

Why was Jackson even allowed to pester Derick like that? The groom's suite should have just been for Derick and his groomsmen, not any guy who wanted to walk in like that. Even if you're 100% ready to get married, there are some jitters -- sometimes just logistics but for Derick also his mom etc. -- did he really need a 10 yr old in his face telling him he was nervous or his hands are shaking and asking about the kiss? If you want to deliver notes back and forth to each other like 7th graders and Jackson is the runner, fine, otherwise Jackson's buddy should have been keeping him out of there and allowing Derick some quiet and privacy. Derick is too nice to tell him to be quiet, so someone else should have.

And who sends notes back and forth to each other like that?? They spent the whole damn day together apart from whatever time it took to get ready and during that hour or two they needed to send multiple notes, knowing the first look was like 90 min away?? I know some couples will send each other a card or a gift that's written out in advance and I find that sweet. Usually it's couples who are agreeing not to see each other from after the rehearsal dinner until the first look/walk down the aisle. And even then it's one card, not messages back and forth that could be texted to each other. These two seem a little too stuck in 7th grade.

• Love 8

Was MEchelle's dress Kelly Bates' dress at one time????

http://s189314.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/IMG_1924.jpg

I have a feeling Michelle got the dress from Kelly. It would be a little too convenient, in my opinion, for Michelle to walk into a second hand or discount store and happen to find the same dress Kelly wore more than a year earlier. The dress looked wonderful on Kelly. The dress looked blah on Michelle because it wasn't properly fitted (which makes sense if it was really Kelly's). The bust was too tight and the rear end was too tight. Michelle needs to invest in a good girdle. Also, you'd think your daughter's wedding would merit a less goofy mullet, everyday hairstyle. She should've let someone straighten her hair or do an updo.

I'll up the ante and throw in my retirement account, house, right arm and first born child that that wedding didn't cost a fraction of 200k. No booze, no catering, no DJ, no limos, no high end bridal wear, no professional hair and makeup, no pricey venue, no cocktail hour, no wedding favors, DIY decor, where the hell did they get 200k from?

There's no way that wedding was 200k. Normally, weddings at Cross Church are held in a beautiful chapel (looks like the one Ben Uses to propose) and costs $600-800 for 1.5 hours. The main hall that Jill's wedding took place in can cost between $1200 and $3000 for the day, depending on how long you need it. I would be willing to bet the Duggars got it comped or deeply discounted or paid for by TLC. Everything else was donated or discounted with t h e exception of the bridesmaid dresses and shoes. The popcorn machine is Duggar owned. The freezer is part of the church facility, I believe. There were no chairs outside because, from what I heard, the whole reception was less than 90 minutes. It was a meet and greet. No tables. Everything was designed to be eaten without utensils and standing.

Classssssay.

• Love 6
That organ playing was more Ride of the Valkyries than Here Comes the Bride.

At one point, it sounded like the opening keyboard riff from "Fuck You," by CeeLo Green.  I was all ready to be impressed at Jill and Derick's balls. 

And I'm sorry, but Bin's little "some other guy is walking Jessa up the aisle" famewhore moment really rubbed me the wrong way. Yes, Bumblefuck. It's a wedding procession. You're NOT IN THE WEDDING PARTY. Deal with it.  He's not defrauding her. Jesus, I'm not looking forward to Jessa marrying this idiot and having to listen to him stumble through his vows and hear two hour's worth of repetitive talking heads where he can't even spit out a coherent sentence. 

• Love 11

I'm pretty sure Erin Bates can read music, as can the Duggars; they had piano teachers and are often shown looking at sheet music while playing piano (the "littles" on their violins, not so much; assume that's Suzuki method).  She just fails to register "pianissimo"...

Barefoot was fine, although I'd also have gone for ballerina flats, but NOT after you've tromped through a dirty parking lot with gum and tobacco juice and heaven knows what there; Joy did it, too, unless they washed their feet in the church (no religious allusion intended).

How odd if Amy sang at the wedding and TLC didn't show it!  Wasn't she auditioning for her own show about making a career as a singer in Nashville?

Edited by joanofarch4

If the rehearsal dinner was a DILLARD SPONSORED/HOSTED event, why was Meechelle speaking with the microphone acting as "hostess"? IMO, she should have given the microphone to a DILLARD to conduct the event, shut up, and sat herself down like a guest would. That's what the Duggars were supposed to be at a groom-family sponsored event like that. Why did the Duggars have to show that stupid childish video of the engagement re-enactment like they did with Josh? How silly of them to do such a thing at a grown up family event; also it was professionally taped by TLC and already seen by the viewing public in the U.S.

I would have liked to see their families and relatives, not random seconds long footage of the vast public who attended this event, in capri pants, t-shirts and sandals!

Why were the Seewalds seated behind Michelle? Wouldn't that have been for the extended close family like the Ruarks? Where were they? Did they attend or were they even iinvited? Does anyone know?

• Love 1
cereality, on 29 Oct 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Did anyone catch Derick saying something about the "real ceremony"? It was when they were talking to Derick and Jill outside the auditorium after Michelle had gone through the whole -- to the groomsmen stand next to the bridesmaids or all the guys on one side -- thing. Derick said something about how the "real ceremony" matters more, no matter what happens here. I have no idea what he was talking about. Maybe he simply meant the ceremony/religious part is important, not all the other stuff. But did they do the vows privately earlier or later and then do this for the 1000 guests and TLC? Frankly it would have been nice if they had done the vows just for family (meaning parents -- not the 100 siblings) -- just a minister with Cathy and stepdad; JB and Michelle; Dan and Jana and the couple. Cathy could have viewed the real ceremony and been done with it without being exposed to 1000s in an auditorium including a dozen young kids who were right in front of her.

Wasn't that said at the wedding rehearsal, with Derick referring to the actual wedding as the "real ceremony"?

Could it be possible that she didn't want them to postpone the wedding? If I were her I would insist that they get married as planned.

That could well be the case. I see from the comments that she did make it, but it sounds like she was rather frail...so sad. If she's needing oxygen....yeah...sounds like she wasn't doing well at all. I'm glad she was able to see her son get married. I wonder what thier thoughts were re the dog and pony show, the TLC cameras, etc. That must have been exhausting for her.

If this was said previously, I apologize. I didn't read all the way back. I think it showed just how odd this family is when Jackson was talking to Derrick before the wedding. What 10 year old ring boy discusses the wedding kiss with the groom. It's just not normal.

I also how liked how Derrick told him, "You just made me nervous.  Go away."  Ha!  But then had to quickly correct himself for the cameras (eyeroll)...

There is nothing wrong with a grown woman having hair on her vulva and labia. It's not even "gross" to look like a grown woman instead of a prepubescent girl.

That is not a good reason to pick on a child IMO.

What is appropriate emotion when your daughter is getting married? Does everybody have to feel the same way to be appropriate? Not everybody shows how they feel.

And there is nothing wrong with shaving or trimming- preferences… preferences.

I don't consider it picking on a child.  This is, after all, a snarking page, and that's what we do.  We talk about behaviors and such, clothes, hair, bad kisses.  That is why I am here and not the Duggar Family fan page - or whatever it's called.  

We have friends with bratty children.  When they leave, we talk about them- the children and the parents.  We don't say it to their face (unless they are feeding our dogs chicken bones and such) but people do talk about bratty behavior.  Everyone does it.  That's why this forum is so popular!  If everyone said everything nice… well it would be quite boring and Duggarish.  

• Love 12

Yeah, somebody's lying or misinformed.  That wedding was not $200,000.  If so, someone got robbed. 

Why was Jackson even allowed to pester Derick like that? The groom's suite should have just been for Derick and his groomsmen, not any guy who wanted to walk in like that. Even if you're 100% ready to get married, there are some jitters -- sometimes just logistics but for Derick also his mom etc. -- did he really need a 10 yr old in his face telling him he was nervous or his hands are shaking and asking about the kiss? If you want to deliver notes back and forth to each other like 7th graders and Jackson is the runner, fine, otherwise Jackson's buddy should have been keeping him out of there and allowing Derick some quiet and privacy. Derick is too nice to tell him to be quiet, so someone else should have.

And who sends notes back and forth to each other like that?? They spent the whole damn day together apart from whatever time it took to get ready and during that hour or two they needed to send multiple notes, knowing the first look was like 90 min away?? I know some couples will send each other a card or a gift that's written out in advance and I find that sweet. Usually it's couples who are agreeing not to see each other from after the rehearsal dinner until the first look/walk down the aisle. And even then it's one card, not messages back and forth that could be texted to each other. These two seem a little too stuck in 7th grade.

Jackson was rather annoying, and I still can't believe he's 10.  I would think he's 7--8 tops.  Someone actually did tell him, "Get outta here."  I think it was John David.  It was actually kinda funny.  That's when Derick said, "He can stay." 

Well, I thought that Jill looked a hot mess.  Her hair was frizzy, and her makeup looked blah.  In my opinion, she didn't appear fresh as she was coming down the aisle.  She had been running around all morning.  She should have been relaxing somewhere with a nice and comfy robe, having a cup of tea and getting her hair and face expertly done.  Knowing that her feet were bare and dirty--eww.  Not a good look, and I don't recommend Jessa do it. 

I don't care for the idea of the "first look" either.  It somehow takes away from that moment your groom lays eyes on you for the first time. 

I vote for a Jinger and Lawson courtship.

I don't think Michelle borrowed that dress from Kelley Bates.  Kelley is slightly more full figured than Michelle is, and I've seen a million of those dresses in department stores.  Every year my husband and I go to a military ball and whenever I'm shopping for a dress, that particular style seems to be in every store.

I also how liked how Derrick told him, "You just made me nervous.  Go away."  Ha!  But then had to quickly correct himself for the cameras (eyeroll)...

I think it was John David who added the "Go away" part. 

• Love 3

I think there's something very wrong with Michelle. That's one reason I quit watching this show. I think it's a travesty that a woman who has the inability to truly love someone has this many children. IMO Michelle has a cold, cold heart and is literally incapable of truly loving anyone, including her own flesh and blood. Any affection that she does show is only for the benefit of the cameras. I don't even think that she's truly in love with Boob. I don't know if she's this way because of a mental illness or if she was just born this way, but she gives me the major creeps. Michelle has a real dark side, I'm sure of it.

You are SO right. I think this needs to be discussed for more than it is. My personal opinion is that she is mentally ill and selfish in the extreme. I dealt with a very similar family situation with a person in my immediate family. While this person  had and still has a mental illness, it was not so severe that it couldn't be treated. That person is no longer in my life because of their refusal to deal with it. You can be mentally ill and also take responsibility for getting themselves help. A person can very much be mentally ill and be a massive jerk. I think this is the case with Mullet. I love that you used the word cold. She is very cold to her children. We can't always see the pain this causes them because she forces them to smile and be cheerful. What a horrible way to treat a child. I'm with the people that believe that the kids are abused. I think it's the kind of abuse that is the most painful, mental and emotional abuse and it comes in the form of wide eyes and a baby voice. It pains me that she is recognized as an outstanding mother. She is a cruel woman.

• Love 7

I have never heard of "first look" but I have known of several couples who have seen each other before the wedding for the simple fact that they get their wedding pictures done before the wedding. If the pictures are taken after the wedding, the guests can end up waiting a very long time for the bride, groom and wedding party to appear at the reception. My sister had her wedding pictures taken at a park, and I think with all the different picture arrangements, travel to the park,, and so on, it took almost 2 hours. It would be rude to make guests wait that long.

• Love 2

Yeah, somebody's lying or misinformed.  That wedding was not $200,000.  If so, someone got robbed. 

<snip>

I don't care for the idea of the "first look" either.  It somehow takes away from that moment your groom lays eyes on you for the first time. 

Yeah $200,000 there is just no way... even if you count ALL of the Duggar daughters. The more I think about it the more impossible that seems.

I still like the "first look" though. The moment the groom lays eyes on the bride is so much more "sweet" and "neat" to me if it's semi-private than the moment the groom and 1,000 people they may or may not know lay eyes on the bride.

Uh. I have to disagree. The way Erin plays has very little to do with her region of origin. What you're referring to, correct me if I'm wrong, is "old style" , "mountain music"? That style is commonly referred to as pick'n. It's common in Highland Scot music, Celtic string-jig music and Appalachian bluegrass. The thing is, it has nothing to do with piano technique. Erin was trained using the Suzuki method (that was mentioned by Erin and Kelly on United Bates of America). She then received lessons from a teacher who wasn't native to the area and focused on classical approach. Her teachers at the "college" she went to are also not native to Appalachia and teach classical. The extra flourishes and constant refrain are NOT in the style you refer to. In fact, they're glaringly opposite! Scot style, which fed into mountain music, utilizes a perfunctory note with a drone string secondary note. Slide tones are common in the style you're referring to, but that's not the same as the flourishes and chord progressions Erin throws in. Sorry to be so detailed, but I was just discussing this with my best friend and viewing buddy who happens to be a piano player with the Philharmonic and guest lectures on Music evolution and theory at Juliard.

Erin is no more, and no less than, a talented piano player who, as common to a lot of music students, doesn't appreciate a clean, classical sound and thinks that the more she throws in makes her a better player. She completely overplayed the Wedding March.

Well, all I can tell you is that she plays like my Appalachian family who are decidedly NOT Suzuki trained and not Julliard educated, but don't see why one note should suffice when ten can do and LOVE those chords! :)

• Love 2

I agree. I couldn't get that both "get ready" rooms looked like a free for all with everyone coming & going. I was going to ask if this is the norm now getting dressed where you get married. But I was thinking at my church you better come dressed in your wedding finery because there isn't a specified bridal suite unless you call one of the Sunday school/daycare rooms one. At my wedding in 1984 (yes, Boob & MEchelle, other couples married in that year) I got dressed at home with my sister, my matron-of-honor. My two bridesmaids & flower girl came to my house for pictures already dressed in their gowns. The limousine kept us (my dad, my sister & myself) "hidden" in the back parking lot of the church til it was time for us to go in. My husband- to- be & ushers came to the church dressed in their tuxes. What is with all the hoopla in getting ready at the church? They did this at Josh & Anna's, and the Bates girls weddings.

Also I noticed Derick had different worded vows than Jill. Or did we not see the whole vow exchange? Does anyone know if they were Baptist vows? Since MEchelle said they were the same vows her & Boob said, I would assume so.

Count me with the others about the crying thing. I cried more at the funeral of my husband's uncle, who we barely knew than I did at the one for a very good family friend who I grew up with & was like a second father to me.

Who was the Root beer float drill sergeant? Boy she really took her job seriously. I know you had to please the bride, but didn't Jill say she ended up not even having one & I think Ginger said she grabbed a melted one on the way out to see Derick & Jill leave.

Edited by Barb23

The only time I've heard of the "first look" thing it was because pictures were being made before the wedding. That's a circus atmosphere--wedding party members and extended family members and assorted hangers-on are running all over the chuch--so arrangements are made for the bride and groom to meet privately for a few minutes so they can ooh and ahh over each others' wedding finery and yes, get some cutesy photos snapped if they so choose. 

• Love 1
I bet they won't have little kids on the stage/alter ever again hahaha. How distracting, they are rolling around on the ground. Really funny though hahaha

Oh, that reminds me! What is the deal with having those stretch pants things on Josie in that lovely dress?  I get that they put those things on the girls in an effort to keep them from defrauding the public at large, but I thought they would give those things a rest for their little dresses.  Actually, Josie was the only fashion offender in this case.  The other girls managed to make it without the stretch pants. 

• Love 1

I want to make one more comment about Erin's piano playing, since I see that so many people have posted, in combination with the question about whether the Bateses have a new show.

I can't find anything on line about a new show.  What I suspect is that people are hearing about their recent appearances on ABC news with JuJu Chang.  They did one of the recent weddings there a few months ago. 

At the time that episode appeared there was discussion about how Erin went to Crown College to study music, which contrasted with the Duggars, who are not permitted to attend outside schools, so I found some YouTube videos of her playing.  There are a couple of her playing in some normal classical style and others in that honky-tonk style.  She has some talent, she has clearly practiced a lot, and I guess she is qualified to teach music to kids and play in churches.

P.S.  I did watch the first episode of that musical bus family.   Real weirdos.  They live on the bus at all times.  But you can't call it the stink bus, because they seem to clean it a lot. 

• Love 1

I vote for a Jinger and Lawson courtship.

If it was 200K, I'm setting up shop in Arkansas.  I'll buy a popcorn machine, 500 cases of root beer and all the Sams Club ice cream I can find- stock it in a big Duggar freezer and call it $$$$.

The Bates boys are MUCH hotter than the Duggards!  IMO of course!

EDIT- I didn't realize I said Duggards- but I think it fits.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3

The 200,000 number came from a pop-up blurb saying if Jim-Bob paid for all his daughters weddings it would add up to that amount. I can't remember if some other factoid was in there. It did not say Jill's wedding cost that much.

• Love 2

And the food or lack there of was unbelievable.  My Catholic Italian family likes to feed people and we always have a ton of food at parties they would be horrified by being served popcorn, pickles and sheet cake or cupcakes. I wonder what they served at the house afterwards?s...

Oh even if you come from a very large family, are dead broke, and have to borrow a dress, there will be copious amounts of macaroni and gravy (translation = spaghetti) and wedding soup, especially if you know you have traveling guests. This is what is so odd with the Duggars, to me, that they are always traveling cross country to fellowship, or having someone come to them, yet they can't even griill some hotdogs or make a big pot of soup?

• Love 1

I want to make one more comment about Erin's piano playing, since I see that so many people have posted, in combination with the question about whether the Bateses have a new show.

I can't find anything on line about a new show.  What I suspect is that people are hearing about their recent appearances on ABC news with JuJu Chang.  They did one of the recent weddings there a few months ago. 

At the time that episode appeared there was discussion about how Erin went to Crown College to study music, which contrasted with the Duggars, who are not permitted to attend outside schools, so I found some YouTube videos of her playing.  There are a couple of her playing in some normal classical style and others in that honky-tonk style.  She has some talent, she has clearly practiced a lot, and I guess she is qualified to teach music to kids and play in churches.

P.S.  I did watch the first episode of that musical bus family.   Real weirdos.  They live on the bus at all times.  But you can't call it the stink bus, because they seem to clean it a lot. 

I found reference to the Bates' new show in the comment section of their blog: http://thebatesfamily.com/beautiful-music/

- Are you guys filming a new show? If so are you able to tell us anything about it yet? I’m so excited at the thought of your family being back on TV.

- Dear Tami, Our same producer Matt Hightower is heading it up. We just started, so I don’t have much to update…haha! I think it will begin in January, though. Love, Kelly

- Will this be for TLC? So excited!!!

Dear Kay, No, it will be with UP network. Love, Kelly

Edited by glow
  • Love 2

I haven't been watching that long so I try to analyze the parents and kids along with everyone's help.

Jill should have called TFDW (I said this a while back too) at least no one is still talking about how cheap his wedding was. It was the opposite--very classy and put together. Even Prissy's bridemaid dresses screamed we did it right classy and modest.

I cringe for Jessa considering Boob wants to get rid of her ASAP how cringe worthy her dresses will be?

Are they cold with each other in general? I know Jessa's got the bitch goin' on, but I figure all these kids's personalities are so benign anyway.

I only saw a glimpse of Michelle's dress and it looked more purple to me.  I was trying to figure out why everyone was talking about a grey dress lol

And I hate to defend her.. but I went "mother of the groom" dress shopping with my mom for my brother's wedding.  My brother got married in June, I think my mom bought her dress about a month before.. we went to so many stores... and my mom is like a freaking twig and can wear anything.  My brother's wedding colors were coral and grey. I wanted my mom in a nice springtime color but there was NOTHING.  She ended up in a grey dress (and she looked wonderful)  but I was shocked at how limited the options were coming into spring.  There's a lot of dresses out there and a lot are pretty hideous.  Add in Michelle's size and she likely has very limited options. 

Ever since my friends have been getting married after college, you always have a 'first look'.  Mainly because photos are now done before the wedding.

At my brother's wedding no one could watch it... and they did it outside.  We were all shoved to the very front of the building and had to turn out backs as my brother's now-wife walked outside so that no one would see her. It was ridiculous.

You are a very good daughter!

I think Michelle is a stone cold bitch.
I'm not even talking about her lack of tears or emotion at her daughters wedding. She just seems to be really indifferent toward her children.

I think she is too.  Even her soft voice is chilly.  I would think a woman with that many kids would be naturally warm and maternal.  If not - then just stop.

So much has already been said, but some things

1. The first Kiss...I think Derrick did the dip away from the camera deliberately so TLC and all of America couldn't actually see it on film. It was his FU to JIm Bob and Michelle and it made me respect him more. The Duggars go on so much about the damned side hugs and first kiss, he was probably sick of it..and I think secretly that

Jill was in on it too.

2. Glad there were only balloons and no trashing of Derrick's car.....was it his car or a rental? anyone know where they went on their honeymoon?

3. The wedding planner must have been pretty inexperienced if she let the ice cream melt. Also, I agree with everyone else a snack and punch reception

just looks cheap. But since they can't do any dancing, and no booze is served, I guess the reception is just an hour long affair after the ceremony. Still, no tables and chairs looks cheap.

4. I choked up seeing Cathy in the wheelchair with oxygen, but glad she made it to the wedding. I think we heard she is now in remission and it was announced only recently? I have a feeling Cathy's health may very well have led to Derrick and Jill getting pregnant right away, so Cathy could be there for her grandchild.

5. Jim Bob was over the top in his love and affection for Jill but I do think his feelings are real. You can never tell with Michelle.

6. I think Jana is quietly observing her sisters' courtships and marriages and will hold out until Jim Bob finds her a really spectacular guy. She isn't going to settle for the first one who shows interest, probably has actually turned down one or two already, off -camera.

I hope so,.  Jana is my favorite.  Just the thought of her having to stay at home till she meets another Prince Dullard breaks my heart.  She DOES have to remain at home till she gets married, yes?  Tragic.

• Love 3

If you take the figure ($200,000) and divide by the nine daughters, assuming the boys as grooms don't pay for weddings then each event would be aprox (rounding up) $23,000. I think they also host many families for a period of days so factor in guest house, motor home hooks ups and those expenses its surprising how it can add up.

Count me with the others about the crying thing. I cried more at the funeral of my husband's uncle, who we barely knew than I did at the one for a very good family friend who I grew up with & was like a second father to me.

I also cry at any funeral.  I can't help it.  

I'm a crying freak of sorts.  I honestly cry at weddings of cousins and such.  lol  I had so many tears for Cathy when she made it to the ceremony.  I was so happy!   She added a little realness to the whole dog and pony show.  

What if some of the daughters don't marry? Boob just assumes that every single child of his will marry. God forbid if some of them marry a person of the same sex. 

One can only hope!

It is fascinating to me how over the years the view of Michelle in these forums has evolved to outright recognition of her being a likely case of true mental illness.  I don't remember discussions like that years ago, when I first started watching, when there was another version of the forums that migrated over to TWOP.  Maybe people just thought she was a bit wacky.  As time has gone on, probably more of the disturbing behavior has been inadvertently revealed.

Edited by maraleia
removed second paragraph due to inappropriate speculative content
  • Love 5

Well, all I can tell you is that she plays like my Appalachian family who are decidedly NOT Suzuki trained and not Julliard educated, but don't see why one note should suffice when ten can do and LOVE those chords! :)

I can weigh in and say if we base it on what we've heard around us, I could call it Southern California Catholic.  The pianists for the youth choirs at two local parishes have both perfected it.  I think it can also be called wanting to show off or draw attention to the playing.

• Love 2

Did any of Michelle's extended family show up to this wedding? Very odd how they're never mentioned.

Would it have killed Jill and/or the bridal party to have a nice, elegant bun or updo for a change? They were wearing their hair like they always do: long and curly. Jill needed a trim and some conditioner.

Another pet peeve regarding the lack of any real food: the Duggars have an industrial kitchen. Couldn't they have prepared a decent amount of quality food at home and brought it to the church.

As for that hideous church...it did not mesh with Jill's shabby chic theme. Don't they have any older churches in that area that would have been much more cozy/quaint. I'm from New England and we have beautiful old churches here. It would have suited her theme much better.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 2