Type keyword(s) to search

The L&O: SVU Spoilers and Spec Thread!

• Start Topic

I say nay to both Barba and Tucker. Well I say nay to any love life for Liv so I shouldn't really get in to the discussion at all. Liv + Noah bonding off-screen that will be just fine.

As for Barba I really hope they'll bring a boyfriend in for him. I think that would be cool & a smart choice of the show.

I've seen a few posts around social media that says they want to see Amanda's 'changes' to be her being bi or gay, my personal opinion is no to that. I don't want to offend anyone, and I wouldn't have minded if they'd gone there from the very start, but they didn't so to 'make' her gay now, after we learned she's been raped, wouldn't sit well with me. I want to see her with a man, wish that would be Nick but obviously that will be a little tricky now.

I used to be much more optimistic about Benson/Barba (there were more hints etc) but now I don't know. I do like the idea of them together, he seems to really like her and he has to be the guy Olivia is the most attached to emotionally (though I don't know that it isn't platonic on her end).

I also like the idea of Barba being gay or bi, though. It would be great to have a male love interest for him, it would be original for this show to have a queer regular with an actual, visible romantic life. And it could be another teachable moment (those can be grating but they're also important). Plus, it would be fun to see Barba infatuated with anyone, Liv or a new person.

As for Benson, I'm easy and I also like the idea of Benson/Tucker. He seems to be the guy Olivia is the most into physically (going by their vibe and her reactions to his flirting). They have softened up Tucker significantly, and I see no other reason for that. I would have appreciated a more direct reference to their thing in the finale; as of now, my speculation is that they totally hooked up but Benson said it was a one time thing. And Tucker is still a little hung up on her, all "OK, that's your choice, but FYI you can totally hit me up whenever." I believe Tucker has been spotted filming S17 (according to various tweets), so that might actually go somewhere, and I'm OK with that.

Regarding the other tidbits, I'd love to see Carisi graduate. Aw. I'm so fond of him. I mean, what if Amaro had left and there was no cute guy to take his place? The horror! I would also like to see the others respecting Carisi's contributions a little more, and the writing to be a little more evened out regarding his over the top comments. That's my only issue, otherwise I love how they've handled him. As long as he stays angst-free, it'll all be fine. If the writers want drama they can have him get shot or injured, but only if his reaction is chill ("omg guys I'm fine, let me at him!") and he doesn't get addicted to pain killers or something. Or, if he gets grazed and freaks out because "omg I'm dying". No to actual angst, please.

And changes for Rollins? I'd love to see her get even more stable/well adjusted, and I'd also love to see her as the sergeant. She has had trouble in the past, but she's a very skilled detective and I'd like to see 2 women in positions of power. Plus, Carisi could be both her partner (I assume that's going to happen anyway) and he could start calling her "Sarge" (and Benson "Lou").

I wouldn't mind a new sergeant, though, just for the novelty. Let's see.

Disclaimer: I know that 93% of those things will never happen.

Tucker might be okay with Olivia. I just never want to see how that character would deal with being the step-father of a teenage boy with a complicated background.

Thankfully that'll never ever happen, but just the thought of it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Since this is so into "ripped  from the headlines" stuff;I hope that they address the Arkansas leglislator who rehomed his adopted daughters to a man who raped the oldest. This could be right up their alley, storywise'

Don't you guys thinks it's a case of promo/preview monkeys though? L&O YouTube channel is calling it a preview so I'll stick to that it isn't the promo. Surely this is an attempt to lure in the Benoah fans. The case of the week is supposed to be about a kidnapped teenage girl & Dodds Jr's emotional toll (*eyeroll* sorry I'm not ready to get invested in him just yet, not so soon after my boy Amaro left) so I think this is just a nightmare'ish ridiculous ploy for the Benoah twitter boppers, he'll just be hiding under the slide or something. At least I hope so cause my quota of Benoah drama has runneth over long ago.

Don't you guys thinks it's a case of promo/preview monkeys though? L&O YouTube channel is calling it a preview so I'll stick to that it isn't the promo. Surely this is an attempt to lure in the Benoah fans. The case of the week is supposed to be about a kidnapped teenage girl & Dodds Jr's emotional toll (*eyeroll* sorry I'm not ready to get invested in him just yet, not so soon after my boy Amaro left) so I think this is just a nightmare'ish ridiculous ploy for the Benoah twitter boppers, he'll just be hiding under the slide or something. At least I hope so cause my quota of Benoah drama has runneth over long ago.

I agree that it's just a preview. I'm also not invested in Dodds Jr. It's funny how when he shows up Barba disappears. They better not be rotating the cast again. At least we only have one more Barba-less episode and then he's back.

The Noah drama - *sigh*. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that Benson's natural evolution of her character was she was going to be put in charge of the SVU squad, and this baby makes her look incompetent at every turn. I get that it's extremely difficult to have a high-stress, complicated job while raising a child on your own, but I don't need to see this drama play out in every episode. The show makes me think Benson can't handle walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone running a whole squad while making sure her baby doesn't die from one ridiculous thing or another. Seriously, Noah has lost his drug-addled mother, been abused, shot at, and had the measles before he could even walk! Let's just cool it a little on torturing this kid, show. Sorry, rant over.

Edited by ScarletLetter
  • Love 2

I read the press release for the January 13 episode "Townhouse Incident". Looks like that will be the return of Rudnick and the infamous murderer groupie...and it looks like it's going to be ANOTHER Benson in danger storyline. Sorry, guys.

The ONLY way I'll tolerate this is if the cupcake bitch finally gets what she deserves at the end of this mess.

• Love 2

I read the press release for the January 13 episode "Townhouse Incident". Looks like that will be the return of Rudnick and the infamous murderer groupie...and it looks like it's going to be ANOTHER Benson in danger storyline. Sorry, guys.

The ONLY way I'll tolerate this is if the cupcake bitch finally gets what she deserves at the end of this mess.

I can hardly wait, so many people just love the Benson in peril situations.

Seriously though, I hope it doesn't ruin what has been an overall solid and consistent season.

• Love 1

It's this stuff that ultimately drove me away before. Now I watch sporadically. I realize the ratings for such an old show are surprisingly solid, but this just seems to be a sign of its age, constantly putting Benson in danger. Sigh. I hope/pray it'll be it, although I know better by now.

• Love 1

It's this stuff that ultimately drove me away before. Now I watch sporadically. I realize the ratings for such an old show are surprisingly solid, but this just seems to be a sign of its age, constantly putting Benson in danger. Sigh. I hope/pray it'll be it, although I know better by now.​

​I couldn't have said this better myself, WendyCR72. The only thing I'd add, is that with the Noah drama moments, SVU has fallen into a form of the "Cousin Oliver Syndrome" that older shows nearly invariably sink in to once fresh plots are harder to come up with. I'm just happy that we don't have to put up with the Noah drivel every episode. I still watch, but only care for episodes with Raul Esparza, (of which there are too few this season!). If he's not in the show, I don't care if I miss it.

However, in spite of it's age and recycled plots, I wouldn't be surprised if SVU hangs in there for another couple of seasons at least. The ratings are good and NBC doesn't really have too many other shows to put in its place, yet. Just wait until the network manages to come up with something fresh and innovative (which SVU and its previous incarnation was) and it will be time to say bye to what has become the Olivia Benson drama hour. I miss the days when the show was a true ensemble cast and there was little drama about their personal lives.

​I do wonder how a serious actor such as Raul Esparza puts up with the weekly drivel. I guess it's an easy paycheck for him, but still, he's a far better actor than the rest of the cast, and yet, each episode seems to revolve around "Saint Olivia,"  who's character just appears to grow more bitchy and tiresome with each passing season.

• Love 2

Re: the promo for next week's episode

I can't believe it took them 17 seasons to do the Kitty Genovese murder. Is it too much to hope they don't go for the sensationalized version of events?

I could swear they've done this story before. Maybe it was the mothership?

PS: Found it! In the mothership, S01E06, based on this crime except the victim survived.

I think you mean S06E10, an episode called "Remand."

Edited by Maximum Taco

There was one in SVU that opened with a whole apartment building heard a girl screaming in the park. By the next morning she had bled out or something like that.

I'm happy that it sounds like Fin will be heavily involved in this episode. I just hope we get a lot of Munch and Fin, at least one great Carisi-Munch scene, something good with Barba, no Liv solving the case that Munch and Fin couldn't solve for years by herself and a minimal amount of Munch reassuring Benson that she is the bestest most awesomest CO ever and is an incredibly noble martyr sacrificing herself for the special victims (since I know we won't be able to avoid it entirely).

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 4

There are no words for my excitement about the Munch news. Not even Noah can break it.

That said, if it happens without one good Munch/Carisi interaction, I don't know what I'll do.

• Love 2

yay, i love munch :D 

Who's body are they uncovering in the preview?  It says we will be shocked.

^ Do you mean the one from last week for this week's episode? or is there another one out?

Considering that picture of Peter Gallagher, I can't see the death being anyone other than his son. I was thinking maybe Daddy Dodds himself would die and Mini Dodds would leave to mourn, but I guess not.

If he does leave, I can't say I'll miss Mini Dodds, even though I have come to like him. Mostly because I hardly notice it when he's not there. I'm never thinking "yeah this episode is okay but where's Mini Dodds?" (unlike, say, Barba and Amaro in earlier seasons, and Carisi last season, because thankfully Carisi hasn't missed an episode of S17). Mini Dodds is just there, and now maybe he won't be. Meh.

• Love 1

As much as I'd love to see Dodds Sr. gone, I don't think Olivia and the rest of the squad would be that stricken over his passing, it would have to be one of their own, and with that pic of Gallagher, it's not looking good for Dodds Jr.

I'll be honest, if I have to see one of them go like that, I'd rather it was Dodds Jr, sorry dude, but I didn't have time to like you much.

Has SVU ever killed one of the main? I can't remember.

What's really worrying me is that thing about Barba, that I don't like. Hands off of "el juez", please.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 3