Type keyword(s) to search

The L&O: SVU Spoilers and Spec Thread!

• Start Topic

You know, just because Mini Dodds will (likely) die, it doesn't mean that Barba will stay on the show. It does mean that Barba will survive the finale, but not that he won't leave.

I wonder if Barba's story (about the death threat) will be connected to the main case (and to Mini Dodds dying), which might give Barba a reason to leave SVU after a death occurs that's connected to his own situation (though personally I think the death threat involves another case, possibly the Black Lives Matter thing).

Or will Barba be off in his own side-storyline, and he won't be affected by Dodds dying (because they don't even know each other basically) so he'll stay on the show like nothing ever happened? Because this "death threat" is a fake-out/red herring since we're losing Dodds?

I hope that's not the case, because outside of Carisi, Barba is just my very favourite thing about this show.

(And inside of Carisi it's too dark to see what's happening... *badum tish*)

• Love 2

I was half expecting Dodd's Jr. to get it in Sheltered Outcasts since they made that huge deal in the promo about the "shocking twist" and a body being turned over. I was nearly sick over the idea they were implying harm to Carisi but, ultimately I thought still if one was going to get it it would be Jr. Sorry but to take a line from Friends Jr. "lifts right out of the group." I can deal with Barba leaving, especially if Robert Sean Leonard's character took over as DA, but Barba must live.

Over all though that finale description reads to me as "WL makes everyone completely miserable one last time."

• Love 2

http://www.examiner.com/article/svu-exec-producers-explain-the-motivation-behind-emotional-season-finale

"Several weeks ago, 'SVU' Executive Producer Warren Leight uttered one word to me about the season 17 finale. It sent chills down my spine. It's a word that has no alternate meaning. It can only mean one thing. And it's not good."

Calling it now- that one word is cancer. Warren's final parting gift to torture Benson from beyond the grave is cancer.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, skittl3862 said:

http://www.examiner.com/article/svu-exec-producers-explain-the-motivation-behind-emotional-season-finale

"Several weeks ago, 'SVU' Executive Producer Warren Leight uttered one word to me about the season 17 finale. It sent chills down my spine. It's a word that has no alternate meaning. It can only mean one thing. And it's not good."

Calling it now- that one word is cancer. Warren's final parting gift to torture Benson from beyond the grave is cancer.

Oh wow. This fits with Mariska Hargitay saying she was really excited about season 18 because she'd get a chance to act out some amazing stuff (or whatever she said, renewed excitement or something). I always thought rehab, but this would be even more impactful.

• Love 1

Well, the franchise does like to recycle. This would be something meaty for Hargitay to play, but it just seems like a retread of the Mothership's waning years when Van Buren got that same diagnosis.

Assuming it is cancer.

Still, if so, I hope it can be done as good as it was before...

That's just my guess after I read that article. I have no inside scoop. I thought rehab too when they first started talking about something impacting Benson in the finale, but I don't think that scenario is scary or upsetting enough to warrant the later comments in the press about people crying when they read the script.

A TVGuide article says that "in March the show tackles computer hacks when a suspect uses his tech skills to reveal secrets in the DA’s office, and ADA Rafael Barba is among the victims.” So what could this secret be? I don't think it's his sexuality- not for an NYC ADA. Maybe he's being accused of something shady?

Maybe it's to do with his political asperations? He's having an affair with someone or someone's wife/husband? He's been clicking on something he shouldn't have at work?

It could be anything. But at least he's actually finally getting a storyline of some kind, after they disappointingly dropped the whole hunted down by crazies story from last year.

I can't wait for a Barba centered ep! I just complained, yet again, in an episode thread of his lack of screen time. However since he has been being treated as if he's irrelevant I'm now forced to be paranoid (yes my paranoia can't be fought, probably why I adore Munch) this could be an exit episode, if it were the season finale I'd be really worried. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Raul's appearances are basically cameos this season.

Me thinks something is up behind the scenes.

There very well may be something up behind the scenes, but I wouldn't say that his appearances are basically cameos for the entire season. He was much more involved earlier in the season with significant screen time. It was disappointing since it was Pod Barba subservient to Benson, but you couldn't say it was just a cameo or a token appearance. I hope that whatever is going on gets worked out and this long stretch without any significant involvement is just some combination of the way episodes have been shuffled, Raul's schedule, and a realization that they needed to come up with some better material for the character.

• Love 2
On 1/15/2017 at 11:41 PM, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Raul's appearances are basically cameos this season.

Me thinks something is up behind the scenes.

Without going into too much detail, a family member of his is having health issues. However, considering he has only missed two episodes so far, I don't really think you can call them cameos. He certainly has appeared more than he did in season 15 or so.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

Dick Wolf says the 'Trump episode' is still not scheduled to air. 

http://tvline.com/2017/01/18/donald-trump-law-order-svu-episode-airdate-dick-wolf/

Speculation is that it will air when hell freezes over. Which would be incredibly cowardly.

I realize this is maybe not the case, but it would also make NBC look partial to Trump if just for his prior connection (and current? I think he is still inexplicably an EP) to The Apprentice. I wonder if this episode will even make the DVD set?

• Love 1

Considering how much NBC allows Saturday Night Live to turn Trump into the butt of jokes every week, I would honestly be surprised (and disappointed) if the network just shelved this episode permanently. Sure it may be "ripped from the headlines", but this is ostensibly a work of fiction and this show has gone to the well many, many times in the past. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Or hell, just throw on the same disclaimer they put on Indifference (AKA the Lisa Steinberg case) where they acknowledged that the case in the episode was really similar, and talked about the deviation. 

Logic has no place here! In all seriousness, I never got why this franchise initially okays controversial episodes/plots, but then shies away later. Happened here and even happened with CI with an 8th season episode (Nichols/Wheeler episode) called "The Glory That Was" that surrounded The Olympics and the politics behind that. That episode, with the exception of very few stations which air repeats, is skipped depending on the network that holds the syndication package. (I see it listed for the local MyNetwork market here, but it is persona non grata in the wider/national syndication broadcasts.)

And that episode did not make streaming (iTunes/Amazon) or the US DVDs, simply says episode not available. (Except Fandango NOW has it for download.) The episode is on the European S8 set, though. So odd.

Maybe the same fate will hold true for "Unstoppable". The title now seems ironic as NBC is stopping it from making it to air.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

In all seriousness, I never got why this franchise initially okays controversial episodes/plots, but then shies away later. Happened here and even happened with CI with an 8th season episode (Nichols/Wheeler episode) called "The Glory That Was" that surrounded The Olympics and the politics behind that. That episode, with the exception of very few stations which air repeats, is skipped depending on the network that holds the syndication package. (I see it listed for the local MyNetwork market here, but it is persona non grata in the wider/national syndication broadcasts.)

And that episode did not make streaming (iTunes/Amazon) or the US DVDs, simply says episode not available. (Except Fandango NOW has it for download.) The episode is on the European S8 set, though. So odd.

Maybe the same fate will hold true for "Unstoppable". The title now seems ironic as NBC is stopping it from making it to air.

That's interesting, I didn't know they (sort of) pulled that episode.  I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think "The Glory That Was" was... terrible?

Original L&O pulled the episode "Sunday In The Park With Jorge" for awhile, after Puerto Rican advocacy groups complained.

1 hour ago, JyDanzig said:

That's interesting, I didn't know they (sort of) pulled that episode.  I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think "The Glory That Was" was... terrible?

Maybe not terrible (although not the best, IMO), but rather...convoluted. What's funny (well, not funny as in haha, but as in ironic) is that some of the Nichols/Wheeler opening scene shots are from that very episode.

11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Logic has no place here! In all seriousness, I never got why this franchise initially okays controversial episodes/plots, but then shies away later. Happened here and even happened with CI with an 8th season episode (Nichols/Wheeler episode) called "The Glory That Was" that surrounded The Olympics and the politics behind that. That episode, with the exception of very few stations which air repeats, is skipped depending on the network that holds the syndication package. (I see it listed for the local MyNetwork market here, but it is persona non grata in the wider/national syndication broadcasts.)

It's not really the franchise it's the network(s). NBC Universal shelled out big bucks for the Olympics so when the IOC got all butt hurt they caved. Just as it's NBC and it's lack of cojones keeping this SVU episode from airing.

9 hours ago, JyDanzig said:

@WendyCR72 already said it was a Season 8 episode. No need to be repetitive.

Original L&O pulled the episode "Sunday In The Park With Jorge" for awhile, after Puerto Rican advocacy groups complained.

Again that was a network decision that the producers publicly criticized. https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4576751.html According to rumors from my "industry source" they were more accepting behind the scenes than they were in the other cases of episodes being pulled or censored. Because it wasn't just the advocacy groups that got all the press that were upset with it, but NYC and NYPD officials, Central Park etc. whom they needed to work with.

2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

@WendyCR72 already said it was a Season 8 episode. No need to be repetitive.

I think you're confused.  I was commenting on what I recalled of the quality of the episode and wondering if anyone shared that recollection, not discussing what season it was from.

5 hours ago, JyDanzig said:

I think you're confused.  I was commenting on what I recalled of the quality of the episode and wondering if anyone shared that recollection, not discussing what season it was from.

You missed wknt3's joke that ALL season 8 episodes are terrible.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

You missed wknt3's joke that ALL season 8 episodes are terrible.

Oh, ha, I did miss that.  Though I wouldn't say ALL the episodes in CI season 8 are terrible.  There is... ugh, skimming the episode guide for that year... well, there is one episode that's good!

• Love 1

No specifics, but it is interesting to speculate what could be coming down the road for Barba. 

Question: Any scoop on the upcoming Law & Order: SVU episode where the D.A.’s office is hacked? Any hint on what sort of secrets about Barba will be revealed? —LaShawna

Ausiello: Without spilling exactly what it is, I can say that a secret so big and career-threatening is in play that Barba can’t even turn to Benson for support. Instead, he’ll choose a course of action that, is, arguably quite  ill-advised.

http://tvline.com/2017/02/09/jane-the-virgin-season-3-jane-rafael-romance-spoilers/

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1

This is sounding worse and worse. I mean, if it's this devastating, it has to be illegal. I wonder if it has something to do with those death threats Barbara was getting before? Between this and Criminal Minds, it seems like this year is the one where all my favourite clever, relatively honest characters do dumb illegal stuff and get in trouble. I'm not loving this new theme.

• Love 1

I think it will have to do with him covering up a crime someone close to him committed.  I don't think it will regard his sexual orientation because who cares about that anymore or that it will be about him being a closet pedophile or rapist because that would make no sense and I really hope that is not where they take this. I just strongly feel that he helped someone get off with  a  crime and now they are either blackmailing him or he is communicating with a woman who was raped and killed her rapist and Barba slept with her during or after the trial when the office is hacked this all is revealed. Something along those lines would make for good viewing

I know, this is getting worse and worse. I hate the sound of having Barba now go off the rails. I wonder if Raul Esparza is leaving the show, and I really couldn't blame him if he was. He isn't in a lot of episodes and Barba gets neglected a lot. I also wonder if Mariska wants him gone, because Barba's popularity is a threat to her ego and to everything being Benson centric. We all know she runs the show, and I wonder if she is trying to get Barba out the door. I dread this episode, and I hate how they are trying to ruin the best character just to make a Benson look good. 

5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I know, this is getting worse and worse. I hate the sound of having Barba now go off the rails. I wonder if Raul Esparza is leaving the show, and I really couldn't blame him if he was. He isn't in a lot of episodes and Barba gets neglected a lot. I also wonder if Mariska wants him gone, because Barba's popularity is a threat to her ego and to everything being Benson centric. We all know she runs the show, and I wonder if she is trying to get Barba out the door. I dread this episode, and I hate how they are trying to ruin the best character just to make a Benson look good. 

I thought I read Raul and Mariska are good friends, so I doubt she's pushing him out. I think the spoilers might make it sound worse than it is. Maybe like S15 when Rollins got involved in that underground gambling. The promos were all like "is this the end for Rollins?" and while it wasn't her finest moment, she keep her shield and job in the end. And we got the introduction to Murphy out of it!

The last thing we need is for Barba to become Rollins. Rollins is the worst character on the show, awful cop, awful human being. I hate that they may destroy Barba, probably just to make Benson look a lot better. And I wouldn't be surprised if Mariska would like for Raul to leave, because I think Barba is the most popular character and takes attention away from Benson.

Part of me wonders if all this speculation about Barba and his secret will amount to nothing. It sounds so much like the click-bait that this show is known for. Rollins and her gambling issues, the million times Noah was in peril and so on. I could be wrong, but for now, that's just my gut feeling. I think whatever it is will be resolved and Barba will be back next season. 

Edited by Gigglepuff
  • Love 3

Yeah it is probably getting blown out of proportion and I certainly hope Barba is back next season. But I really couldn't blame Raul if he left, Barba isn't in a ton of episodes and he doesn't get enough to do. I also think that this episode will still be more about Benson than Barba, no matter what the story is the writers will make it all about Benson. 

• Love 1

Oh yeah, whatever the issue is, it will end up being all about Benson. It already is. I mean, we know that his secret is so big that he can't tell Benson. So, she's already part of whatever his secret is. Why should we think that he'd tell her anyway? Even though they are colleagues and friends, why is it assumed that they are so close that he must tell her everything?  Perhaps he has other close, personal, long-time friends that he'd confide in besides her. 

• Love 1

Mariska and Raul love each other in real life, so I doubt she wants him gone.

I wonder if the huge uptick in courtroom scenes this season are a response to Raul considering moving on due to lack of content. Season 16 and 17, his sole function was to swoop in and say "Get me enough for a warrant" and disappear until the next episode. Back in the Cabot years, they had trial scenes in nearly every episode. By the time Warren Leight took over, they became the exception instead of the norm.

I'm curious if the big secret is professional or personal. None of the spoilers hint at the nature of it. ADAs are public figures, so a personal secret could very well put his career at risk.

• Love 1

They have used Fin more this year which I like, he has gotten a solid role in a lot of episodes and we already got one Fin centered episode this year, episode 2 Making a Rapist. I hope he gets a good role in this one and we find out more about him. I also would like to see Ken again, he was always a good recurring character, way better than Stabler's worthless crybaby kids. 

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 1

Today I re-watched the ep Rape Interrupted. Barba talks to Liv about her old partner, and says "he lied to save your ass... in my world, that gets you disbarred."

I can't help but think that might have been foreshadowing for whatever Barba's hacked secret is.

1 minute ago, ForeverAlone said:

Hmmm...this would seem to be the big Barba hacking episode so many Barba fans are anticipating (provided the writers don't destroy his character). But you would never know that by this promo. It still seems to be all about Olivia. *sighs*

Yes, it definitely is the big Barba episode. Various spoilers have said that he will take an "ill-advised" course of action.

Usually I'm the first one claiming too much Benson, but I actually don't see it here. She's the one to break the news to him, but otherwise the focus is on Barba a good bit.

Barba didn't even say anything in the promo. We just saw a brief shot of him listening on the phone. If this is supposed to be a Barba centric episode, the promo definitely doesn't give that impression at all. Now of course maybe we are just being teased with some good Barba by these spoilers and Barba fans will be disappointed. Or maybe we will be surprised and delighted with the amount of Barba (again, as long as the writers don't destroy my beloved Barba). We'll see. *sighs*

Edited by ForeverAlone

So...once again Barba is clueless and Benson has to tell him the DA's computer/cell phone system is hacked? Barba who lives on his phone and is in the DA's office? They showed people on phones. One girl says "they could be listening right now!" Barba and Benson yak all the time. "I'll call Barba" is her favorite line. They've said something they shouldn't to each other ( personal, about sex?) This hacker has been listening to their often, after hours conversations. Please don't tell me Barba has been climbing Mount Benson and planting his flag now that Tucker is gone! Anyway, its gonna be all about Benson. That's my take.

• Love 1