Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: All About Jill

This is what scares me the most about the constant chaperoning. How can you possibly tell your future mate that maybe you don't believe exactly what your parents do or maybe you want something different than is currently being allowed by your parents. You can't say anything real to the other person because someone is always watching. Maybe when you get 1000 miles away and can finally be yourself you can grow together but it seems more likely it will be a disaster. 

Wow- you really hit the nail on the head with this.  Think about it.  You have no one to talk to but your siblings and parents.  You can't tell your future spouse that you don't want to have 20 kids.  And more importantly, he can't talk to you about the way he really feels.  I can't see Derrickdillard wanting 19 kids- no way. 

• Love 3

I think it was the Bates who said they chaperone but not in hearing distance. If you are going to do this type of thing, I think that's the compromise you need to make. The couple needs to find they own ground without fear of not only disapproval, but simply disappointing people, which can actually be more powerful than fear of making someone angry.

• Love 2

My 2 thoughts:

1. I've seen improvement in Josie, the little I've watched the show. She is speaking in sentences now & on topic, so I'm wondering if she is receiving Speech Therapy but they are keeping it hush hush (like John Travolta's autistic son).

I think she is behind, but with help can catch up. She does have a lot of children near the same age around her, & that can only help in her listening to their speech patterns & imitating their behavior.

2. I won't dis Jessa for not being more maternal with the buddies. She didn't ask for this, it was thrust upon her & maybe it's just not her nature. I really don't like watching any other children but my own.

Edited by Mrsjumbo

I won't dis Jessa for not being more maternal with the buddies. She didn't ask for this, it was thrust upon her & maybe it's just not her nature. I really don't like watching any other children but my own.

I think that this is a really good point.

I've thought of Jessa as being very selfish and not being a very good buddy, but she's not their mother and she has been forced into a ridiculous role that simply doesn't suit her. On the other hand, she is talking now about having children of her own and I hope that she will be more caring and supportive of her own kids.

I would love to see her and Bin wait 4-5 years before having any children, but I don't suppose that's realistic. 

• Love 11

I noticed that Jilly-Muffin made off with the ANTIQUE GOLDEN HARP that was bought at auction, supposedly for all the harp-playing girls to use...  The others will just have to make do with the cheap wooden models sans foot pedals, I suppose!  But then, she was always an "angel"...  I've heard of Daddy's Little Girl, but this is getting ridiculous!  I can't imagine how they'll follow this up with, of all people, Jessa in the starring role...

No. Josh is, then Jana

And then John-David (Jana's twin)...

I really do think that Jill is the one who really does play the harp, even if the other girls know how.  At least, she's the only one that has ever played on camera with any real skill that I remember.  She's much better on piano and harp than violin.

• Love 2

But then, she [Jill] was always an "angel"...  I've heard of Daddy's Little Girl, but this is getting ridiculous!

There are those that are convinced that Derick expressed an interest in Jana, but Jim Bob steered him to his "sweet Jilly Dilly", instead.   

• Love 1

Jill -- at least initially and at least ostensibly -- expressed a great interest in pursuing missionary work, what with her bonding with the natives and learning fluent Spanish, etc. (I even assumed the midwifery would tie in there), so she seemed a perfect match for missionary Derrick.  Of course, all of those plans for both have seemingly flown out with the window with him in a corporate 9-to-5 job and her pregnant in the suburbs!  So disappointing.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to find her trading in the "Oh, how sweet!" for bossiness with her now-husband.  If you think about it, those girls grew up bossing their younger siblings around, so it'll be a hard habit to break.  At least Jessa is making no attempt to hide the fact!

• Love 1

I know JB says that he's checking the guy out up until he says "I do," but that's BS right? I feel like at some point -- the constant "chaperoning" and "testing the Godlyness/motives etc. of the future son in law" should stop, and presumably it's after you've given your blessing, he has asked the question, and she has said yes. At that point the wedding is happening whether you like it or not. So I don't get the point THEN of counseling the couple and interrogating as to whether he'd have credit cards -- what if he says yes, is the wedding off? When he was walking through the house and showing them the bedroom and making some comment about how he couldn't wait for the call that said they're pregnant, I would have LOVED for Derick -- conservative as he is to laugh and say "nah -- our first kid is going to be conceived in a moment of passion probably in the kitchen or the living room or something." Seriously what would JB have done -- called off the wedding? I feel like those little assertions from Derick would at least show JB that Derick is the man in that marriage and does not need JB's two cents on everything.

Also -- not sure where the Josie v. Will Klein comparisons are coming from. Will is a few months younger than Josie -- though not sure if 2-3 months is a big deal -- and was raised in a Chinese orphanage for the first 3 yrs of his life. I'm sure he didn't have access to anything but the most basic medical care, if that. He does have hearing issues, which I think his parents have addressed, and he's in a slew of therapies. And he comes from a non English speaking country -- so if his English isn't clear, it very well could be because it's not his first language. The point is -- having had a rough start to his life, Will's parents are doing everything they can to get him the medical care and therapy he needs bc they likely realize that if he is going to catch up -- it's now or never; it's not like they can wait until he's 8 yrs old and then start. The Duggars OTOH are sort of denying Josie's issues. Maybe she has therapy and they just don't want to say -- which is ok. But it's equally likely to me that is that they are in denial publicly and privately saying "God will take care of this." I feel like that's what these fundies do. Not to mention, I think things like speech therapy are expensive -- insurance doesn't necessarily cover ever single cost. While they have the money, I can see JB thinking it's a waste and that they can just help her at home and pray; while his other daughters are able to raise the kids, they are not drs or therapists and aren't trained to give her the one on one care she needs.

• Love 5

Just curious -- what do we have to go on that he was interested in Jana?

I had mentioned it was speculated on another blog that Jana may have been a better match & it got me thinking. Derick & Jana seem to have a similar personality- more laid back. . Jill is very outgoing & constantly talks over whoever she is speaking with incl Derick. Derick seems to think before he speaks. They have the missionary thing in common but that's about it. They say opposites attract but sometimes it's better for a relationship if there are more similarities. Maybe Derick was looking for an opposite, who knows? Well Jim Boob thinks he does.

Chances are Derick had no idea who he was looking for. Derick reached out to JB as a prayer partner and possibly to be brought into the fundie fold when he returned. It was JB that said to him "hey you should meet one of my daughters" -- it sounds like JB picked which one to introduce and he went with Jill. It's not the same story as Ben who showed up at their home church looking to meet a girl, then decided Jessa was the one who caught his eye the most, then went to talk to Jessa who referred him to JB for interrogation and screening.

• Love 2

I'm taking Derrick at his word that he reached out to Jim Bob as a man he respected and someone he was looking towards as a genuine father figure, given the loss of his own father and the reputation JB cultivates as someone locally who cares about mission work. I really don't think that he was looking for a wife.

• Love 3

Even if you don't fast forward through the new stuff, you still must spend half your time forwarding.  At the end of every clip, they spend time talking about what is coming up after the commercial.  And then, half of the show is show is clips we have seen twice before.  And so, my deduction is that about 8 minutes is new stuff.  

I can only assume that the crew is tired of the crap and refuse to work too much in the house of horrors.  In their defense, they have howlers and littles crawling all over them- smearing tater tot casserole on their mics and cameras.  They constantly have to deal with sickness and grossness.  I can only imagine that the crew needs a barf cup most of the time as well. 

From what I've seen some of the crew are very close to the family. The cameraman Jim is very close with them & said he likes filming them & that he's NEVER heard Michelle raise her voice. I wish they would show themselves being less than perfect. Like do they ever have a bad day or are in a bad mood? I would find them more likable if they behaved like normal human beings. I don't care about their religion or how many kids they have, I'm bothered by the facade.

JBoob skeeves me the hell out with that weasel snicker of his talking about the sex after the wedding. His own daughter. ..he truly does believe he owns the females in his home. Derricks brother thinks they are all tools and couldn't wait to get back to his PBR. I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing the memory lanes on the miracle snowflake... and to think that utter fool got pregnant AGAIN following that ordeal. My big question however as i must have missed that episode.. did anna actually give birth to one of her pups in a "shitter", for lack of a better term? What the almighty hell was going on there? ? Smuggler looks so puffy and pasty! How old is he cus he looks at least forty!

These people. Its like watching a freak show to me.

Yes, Anna gave birth on the toilet. She went to use it & it was time to push so that's where it happened. 

Chances are Derick had no idea who he was looking for. Derick reached out to JB as a prayer partner and possibly to be brought into the fundie fold when he returned. It was JB that said to him "hey you should meet one of my daughters" -- it sounds like JB picked which one to introduce and he went with Jill. It's not the same story as Ben who showed up at their home church looking to meet a girl, then decided Jessa was the one who caught his eye the most, then went to talk to Jessa who referred him to JB for interrogation and screening.

Derrick & Jill are a good match as they are both passionate about mission work. Ben, sorry to sound mean but he comes off as not the brightest.

No. Josh is, then Jana

Jana's a twin, but where never hear about either one of them courting?

• Love 1

I don't think JimBob would have ever considered Derick for Jana.  He and Michelle believe that opposites should be together to "balance each other out."  See, it worked for JimBob and Michelle, so it must be a universal truth.

• Love 3

I had mentioned it was speculated on another blog that Jana may have been a better match & it got me thinking. Derick & Jana seem to have a similar personality- more laid back. . Jill is very outgoing & constantly talks over whoever she is speaking with incl Derick. Derick seems to think before he speaks. They have the missionary thing in common but that's about it. They say opposites attract but sometimes it's better for a relationship if there are more similarities. Maybe Derick was looking for an opposite, who knows? Well Jim Boob thinks he does.

I read on article today on the newlyweds (link here if you want to read, there's some interesting stuff, like them taking Bradley "husband-coached" childbirth classes) and Derick had this to say about Jill- Asked what qualities he hopes their baby learns from his mother, Derick replied, "How sweet and compassionate and tender-hearted she is, I love that about her. Really being a people person -- her love of the Lord and because of that, her love for people."  

IMO, Derick and Jill make a good match. Like he said in the quote above, I think a huge part of what drew Derick to Jill was her bubbly personality and it's possible that he sees that as a good balance to his more low-key quiet persona. When I took psychology way back when in high school one of the things I learned was that the whole "opposites attract" idea was mostly a myth. In general, what people are really looking for are partners with complementary - not similar - personalities. The key for a successful relationship was having the same core values and beliefs (which Derick and Jill do seem to share), not whether one person or both was outgoing or not. So while Derick and Jana might have similar temperaments, I do believe that he and Jill complements each other much better.

I believe Ben started going to the Duggars' home church specifically to meet Jessa. IRRC, he pretty much admitted in an interview that he admired Jessa after seeing her on TV (I think the phrase "godly character" was used but face it, we all know he mostly just found her hot) and decided to beg his parents to make the 4 hour or so drive so he could meet her. 

• Love 2

No mention of asking Cathy for advice. Hmmm... I know she is sick, but I would still ask her for advice. Of course, Michelle probably would be jealous about Cathy having any part of Jill's pregnancy. She the one and only expert on pregnancies in the whole wide universe.

I'm taking Derrick at his word that he reached out to Jim Bob as a man he respected and someone he was looking towards as a genuine father figure, given the loss of his own father and the reputation JB cultivates as someone locally who cares about mission work. I really don't think that he was looking for a wife.

I thought the same thing about his initial interest in JB. I think I may have mentioned this before but having gone to a Christian college that mainly graduated teachers and pastors, it was amazing how many guys got engaged once they got their call (placement) to girls in which you didn't even know they had any interest. I thought Derick may have just been ready to complete his vision for his life after his mission and Jill fell, with JB's help, into that place.

• Love 2

The fact that Derrick actively sought out the creepy creepster Jim Boob makes his judgment very, very suspect.

I agree but do believe he was looking for a prayer partner in Boob & not searching for a wife, unlike Ben. Does anyone know anything about Derick's step-dad? What kind of job does he have or is he retired? Religion? How him & Cathy met? It seems he prefers not to be on TV or be any part of the Duggar circus even though we did see him & Cathy attending Josiah's party. I wonder how much we'll see of Derick's family & friends at the Wedding of the Century. I'm sure this was asked before-did Gothard attend? I don't think he did.
  • Love 1

And imagine that kid's teeth! If he gets Derrick's tiny jaw and Jill's giant Jim Bob horse teeth they will make their orthodontist very rich.

I had the same thought when I finally watched this episode today. Kid is going to have some F-ed up teeth.

And I agree with the poster who gets that damnable proposal song stuck in their head. Happens way more often than I would like (which is to say, ever).

Does anyone know anything about Derick's step-dad? It seems he prefers not to be on TV or be any part of the Duggar circus even though we did see him & Cathy attending Josiah's party.

I don't, but I'm inclined to like him already.

• Love 2

Watching the episode again.

At many a wedding shower I've heard of or been to, there was recipe sharing.  It's seems normal to me.

Also I know a lot of teachers. They tend to give showers at school for the person getting married, even if they're not going to the wedding. Other than maybe a few close family members, friends outside of school tend not to be invited if one of the other teachers is hosting.

Following what I said before about Jill loves spending time with her family. "She has very close relationship with her sisters."  says Michelle. You mean like prison cellmates? Michelle sounds strangely neutral about it, like she wishes the girls were closer to her or she doesn't care since she (Michelle) isn't close to her sisters.

Jana "I think Joy should lead the buddy team. " Translation: To avoid being stuck with more work, I am nominating the person most likely to get this job besides me.

I haven't watched all the seasons. I was glad that Jill was able to help Jason. It's good to have someone who knows what to do, who's literally right there before the paramedics are able to show up.

I think Jill definitely wants the supersize family. She seems to be a huge baby lover.

I know it's the airport security system, but it annoys me very much  that their frontal hug set off alarms. Really? That even looks staged. Any theories on why Jim Bob blushing explaining his problems with it?

Does Jill look a little like Taylor Swift? I don't why but she does to me.

I think Jana needs someone who roll their eyes at her family more. Derrick is too in awe of the family and whatever.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

Following what I said before about Jill loves spending time with her family. "She has very close relationship with her sisters."  says Michelle. You mean like prison cellmates? Michelle sounds strangely neutral about it, like she wishes the girls were closer to her or she doesn't care since she (Michelle) isn't close to her sisters.

I think that this is kind of a mystery to J'chelle. I come from a very large family, but my mother was an only child. My close relationship to my siblings is still surprising to her. She will tell me bits of news from my brothers and sisters and be surprised that I have already spoken to them and have heard about it -- it just doesn't occur to her that we have relationships with each other outside of her orbit.

JB has one sister and although J'chelle has 6-7 siblings, I believe that she is much younger than the others and isn't particularly close to them. I don't think that either of them has any concept of the sibling dynamics of a large family.

I think that they have done a lot of work (really all of their "parenting" effort) in creating a dynamic of mistrust between the siblings. Still, the children really only have each other -- JB and J'chelle are so checked out -- that I imagine they are very close.

I think Jessa & Jinger are close. Jill & Joy are close mainly because Jill raised her. Maybe Jana & Jill were close in their younger years but I don't see much closeness between them now like Jessa & Jinger. I think the other 3 girls realize Jill is the Chosen One & can do no wrong.

When they are talking about sisters, I wish the producers would ask MEchelle something about her sisters. "How did you get along with your sisters given the age difference?" Or "Do you see any similarities between your daughters relationships with each other & the relationships you have (or had) with your sisters?" We know MEchelle isn't in contact much with her family or we would see it. I wonder how she explains this to the kids. I guess they get the usual "they are heathens like the rest of the world" line.

I'm not sure just how much she and her family mesh.  I remember them all packing up and going to a party for her dad, I think.  He was 80 or something.  He looked right at the camera and said something nice, then something like "But I don't agree with what they're doing" or something like that - it's been a while.  I don't recall seeing her family on tv ever again.

• Love 1

In that episode where they show Jason (I think?) falling into the orchestra pit and a bunch of family members jump down there and Jason credits Jill with telling him not to move, stay calm etc. -- is Michelle in the pit filming it/taking pics of him?? You can see her holding up an iphone the way you hold it up to take pictures. If so -- why? The TLC cameras were there and surely they could have (and did) zoom in to capture the whole thing. Or was she holding it up for the light -- as the pit was pretty dark and people often use the phone screen or the "flashlight" in the front for light.

It's sad that JB and Michelle have done nothing to foster the kids' relationships with any aunts, uncles or cousins -- likely bc they are not fundie and JB and Michelle don't want to be giving the kids ideas that it's ok to stray. I wish their view was more like Kody Brown (that polyg family on TLC); they openly say -- this is the life we chose and we want our kids to choose it, IF they want it. One of the moms has even said, she just wants her kids to have faith -- it doesn't matter if it is the same faith as hers. It's setting up a decent structure for their kids, so that they know that if they choose not to go polygamist, they will not be shunned from their own family AND they will have aunts/uncles they can look up to who are a different faith and in normal monogamous marriages with 2-3 kids. With the Duggars it's so "my way or the highway," that the "kids" -- even the ones in their 20s -- have no way of escaping and choosing a different road like college, a career, a job etc. bc they aren't sure whether they have the skills to make it on their own but they know that if they don't make it, they're pretty much out of luck when it comes to any emotional support from their family. Sad.

• Love 1

Dull as dishwater. I FF'd through almost all of it.

Took me 3 viewings not to fall asleep during it.

In that episode where they show Jason (I think?) falling into the orchestra pit and a bunch of family members jump down there and Jason credits Jill with telling him not to move, stay calm etc. -- is Michelle in the pit filming it/taking pics of him?? You can see her holding up an iphone the way you hold it up to take pictures. If so -- why? The TLC cameras were there and surely they could have (and did) zoom in to capture the whole thing. Or was she holding it up for the light -- as the pit was pretty dark and people often use the phone screen or the "flashlight" in the front for light.

It's sad that JB and Michelle have done nothing to foster the kids' relationships with any aunts, uncles or cousins -- likely bc they are not fundie and JB and Michelle don't want to be giving the kids ideas that it's ok to stray. I wish their view was more like Kody Brown (that polyg family on TLC); they openly say -- this is the life we chose and we want our kids to choose it, IF they want it. One of the moms has even said, she just wants her kids to have faith -- it doesn't matter if it is the same faith as hers. It's setting up a decent structure for their kids, so that they know that if they choose not to go polygamist, they will not be shunned from their own family AND they will have aunts/uncles they can look up to who are a different faith and in normal monogamous marriages with 2-3 kids. With the Duggars it's so "my way or the highway," that the "kids" -- even the ones in their 20s -- have no way of escaping and choosing a different road like college, a career, a job etc. bc they aren't sure whether they have the skills to make it on their own but they know that if they don't make it, they're pretty much out of luck when it comes to any emotional support from their family. Sad.

I am pretty sure Michelle was using it as a flashlight.

Since that scene was part of the episode, I hope this isn't off topic.

Michelle wasn't using that phone as a flashlight. Screengrabs were posted just after the episode on a few sites and it was shown she was filming. A guy with the same phone did a video on YouTube where he showed what would be on the screen/display for each function and it was pretty obvious Michelle and others were filming. If I remember correctly, Jim Bob and Michelle weren't even in the church when he fell and it was late enough that many wondered why he was there in the first place. Michelle's huge grin and excitement made many people question her reaction. There wasn't one bit of worry in that face. If I had a child that fell 15-20 feet into an orchestra pit, I wouldn't look absolutely gleeful. I also recall that the poor kid had to appear on stage less than 24 hours later- totally unforgivable, imo.

Jill and John David taking charge is sort of beside the point. Just like the responsibility felt by Jill for the miscarriage, there's no justification for allowing your children to be in such a high stakes position of responsibility for a sibling. Jim Bob or Michelle should've had eyes on their younger children at all times. Period. If you can't, then stop having kids or hire another trained adult to do your job for you.

I'm having twins soon. The fact that I will be outnumbered for several hours a day has me terrified. I've taken first aid and CPR training since seeing that positive stick. I get that you tend to be more protective over your first and you relax more as your family grows. Michelle and Jim Bob give zero f$##$- about the health and safety of their kids.

• Love 3

I don't think we can know for sure that when they smile it means what it means when we smile. I think part of the sinister side of their religion is to smile at inappropriate times. It's how they show a "joyful countenance" when to any of us, it's just plain creepy.

• Love 3

I don't remember them making Jason appear on stage, but they did make him dress in a suit and be at the venue in a wheelchair when many thought he should have been allowed to be in comfortable clothes resting on the bus.

• Love 1

Who would have been with him on the bus? I didn't see the episode. I had stopped watching for awhile. But, if my child was injured and the whole family was in a public venue, I certainly wouldn't allow one child, as young as he was, to stay in a bus, RV or hotel room alone.

I'm no apologist for them. I think they are ridiculous and I can't even fathom why I record and watch this show now, I'll blame it on my pain meds messing with my reasoning.

Rule 1 of fundamentalism: if the church door is open, you are inside. I hate to say this, but when my sisters and I saw that episode we all immediately texted each other basically saying, "you don't think falling through a stage and needing stitches is going to get you out of going to church now, do you?" And we were all laughing about it. Because we all have a story like that.

I don't think we can know for sure that when they smile it means what it means when we smile. I think part of the sinister side of their religion is to smile at inappropriate times. It's how they show a "joyful countenance" when to any of us, it's just plain creepy.

This might well be the case, but if so, they haven't managed it all the time. When Boob called home to tell the kids what was going on with Momma after she'd been flown to Little Rock with pre-eclampsia and Josie was about to be born, it was the grimmest - and most genuine - reaction I'd ever seen from him. No sunny countenance there - the guy was scared feces-less. And in all honesty, I really can't imagine any mother with a true connection to her child would have behaved as MEchelle did when that little guy [???] fell into the orchestra pit. To me, it looks like MEchelle's kids become more like grandkids to her after the 6-months of nursing is over.  They get handed off to others for their daily care and she really becomes a secondary figure in their lives.

• Love 1

This might well be the case, but if so, they haven't managed it all the time. When Boob called home to tell the kids what was going on with Momma after she'd been flown to Little Rock with pre-eclampsia and Josie was about to be born, it was the grimmest - and most genuine - reaction I'd ever seen from him. No sunny countenance there - the guy was scared feces-less. And in all honesty, I really can't imagine any mother with a true connection to her child would have behaved as MEchelle did when that little guy [???] fell into the orchestra pit. To me, it looks like MEchelle's kids become more like grandkids to her after the 6-months of nursing is over.  They get handed off to others for their daily care and she really becomes a secondary figure in their lives.

Boob gets to display emotion - even non-positive ones because he is the headship. His expression of sadness/anger/whatever is not a reflection of disrespect to anyone. But Gothardism teaches that a child's or a wife's expression of any emotion that is not joy is disrespectful to the father/husband and is a sign of evil rebellion. I'd bet any kid who does look sad or angry gets a spoon to the face courtesy of MEchelle and/or Jim Boob when the cameras are gone.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

Yep -- only Jim Bob gets to have real emotions.  Everyone else does the creepy smile.  

They were allowed to cry over the miscarriage.  Because this is a culture that fetishizes babies.  

• Love 1

Yep -- only Jim Bob gets to have real emotions.  Everyone else does the creepy smile.  

They were allowed to cry over the miscarriage.  Because this is a culture that fetishizes babies.  

Or at least fetuses. Babies for a couple of months.

Maybe I'm one of those new-fangled Feminist types, but the talk of giving Jill away and her being a baby girl really gross me out. No one gave me away at my wedding. I wasn't anyone's to give in the first place, and if my mom had called me her "baby girl" I'd be really creeped out.

• Love 4

Let's keep it to the episode. I know it's easy to get off on a tangent talking about other episodes and their way of life in general, but we do have other topics for that. Please keep it on topic!

Frenchtoast, The reason you're seeing posts referring to past episodes is because 75% of this episode's content is made up of flashbacks of previous episodes. There was roughly only 10 minutes of fresh content in about 42 minutes of this episode.

• Love 5