Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E12: All About Jill

Some interesting things have been verified in the first 15 minutes.  Joy says she'll miss Jill because "she's always taken care of me" and one of the boys said that John should take over Jill's buddies because he doesn't have any buddies (has never had buddies) and doesn't have a girl.

• Love 15

What a boring episode. Recaps of recaps of recaps......

Love Jackson saying that John should take over Jill's buddy group because he doesn't have a buddy group & he doesn't have a lady!!!

And yes MOTHER OF THE BRIDE Mechelle, it's all about you --wanting to stick your thumbprint in the middle of the lovebirds on the picture.

• Love 11

Joy gets to be the new buddy leader... why is that, only 1 of Jill's buddies needs a buddy.  Let Michelle be Jenny's buddy.

This is the most boring episode yet, just a clip show.  

This episode does however prove that the older girls have raised all the children, and that Jim Bob and Michelle are going to miss those girls.   They have the strangest ideas about how to raise children.  Any of you want to have your pre-teens in the room with you while you give birth?

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8

Love Jackson saying that John should take over Jill's buddy group because he doesn't have a buddy group & he doesn't have a lady!!!

Well he IS a working man, after all. No time for ladies when he's busy fighting crime on the mean streets of Tontitown! He's Constable Duggar!

• Love 6

And yes MOTHER OF THE BRIDE Mechelle, it's all about you --wanting to stick your thumbprint in the middle of the lovebirds on the picture.

I'm so glad I was not the only one that felt like jumping through the TV and smearing paint on her face.  She is so transparent. One of her main slaves has been granted freedom.  Jill's children are upset.  MEchelle's womb has given out.  

The only thing she has to look forward to is getting the call that another free slave or daughter in law is having a baby… and MEchelle is not… Thank you Krishna, Buddha, Jesus…for sealing that womb.

• Love 6

Ridiculous episode re-capping the airport hug and the engagement -- which we JUST saw.

Derick's family and upbringing is SO normal. His mom seemed ok with the wedding -- not super thrilled but ok; his brother on the other hand could not seem any less enthused. He thought it was "interesting" that Jill was going to Nepal to see him. I don't know how close the brothers are or how close they will be going forward, especially since he doesn't seem to love Derick's new inlaws. I'm not sure if he doesn't like Jill or thinks the whole situation was bizarre. Whereas his mom doesn't seem to mind Jill, though you can tell doesn't like that her son is marrying into Duggar madness; but she probably has been around the block long enough to know that if she doesn't make nice with her son's wife, she won't be seeing him and his kids that much.

Looks like Derick's life was pretty normal -- he was a boy scout; he was in national honor society. Guaranteed he will not be ok with homeschooling -- he may go along with it but he won't be happy with it. And guaranteed he will want his son to go to college. So sad that his dad died in his sleep.

• Love 10

Did I hear the preview correctly for next week -- A 2 HOUR WEDDING EPISODE !!!!

OMG - we'll need more than tater tot casserole & pickles to get us through this.

Tonight's episode should have been 1/2 hour (it didn't need to be shown at all). The wedding should be an hour, if they are showing the rehearsal dinner but really it could be condensed to a 1/2 hour, in my opinion.

• Love 6

Of course Derick isn't nervous about the first kiss -- he's done it before and knows he won't miss as long as Jill doesn't flinch. Anna was pretty honest saying -- don't embarrass others at the wedding, keep the kiss short and sweet, which is pretty much the opposite of what Josh did IIRC. Kind of gross to ask the family what the couple is looking forward to most and have JB say "well . . . how do I say this." We know -- married people have sex. For someone who is SO religious, I can't believe these people are ok with thinking about their "baby daughter" having sex. Joy Anna handled it well simply saying "the honeymoon," and you can tell Grandma thinks the whole courting and chaperone thing is totally ridiculous as she was very honest in saying -- they just want to be alone, talk alone, the honeymoon etc.

And while many people have a bridal shower at work, most people I know have considered it an "obligation" as their coworkers have wanted to throw it for them and there isn't a nice way to say no esp. if you like your coworkers and it's a friendly office. But I feel kind of sad for Jill that this is her only shower -- no high school or college friends or work girlfriends (those people you met at work but they became your friends outside of work away from your bosses/clients) who can throw her a separate more fun shower or even take her out to a dinner or brunch or something in addition to the work shower thrust upon her.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 5

Let the Jill-fest commence!

* J'Chelle needs to cut back on the spray tanning.  She is incandescent orange.  

* Jim Boob used the word "compliant" when describing Jill's childhood demeanor.  Hmm.

* Jim Boob's little joke about what Jill and Derick are most looking forward to.  Ugh.  I guess I'm just not used to fathers making sexual quips about their daughters, silly me!

* Poor Joy . . . she really is losing her mother.  I feel so sorry for her.  J'Chelle is absolutely shameless.  Do you think she realizes how "lucky" she is to have successful beaten her daughters into emotional submission so that she can wash her hands of the vast majority of her maternal responsibilities?  That's not a rhetorical question.  I can't imagine pawning off my daughter on someone else.  Joy will not only lose her mom, but she'll be pushed into the buddy-mom role for her younger siblings. 

* The focus on how Jill and Derick hugged.  I am utterly sick of hearing about the vertical contact of two grown-ass people.

* I don't think the elder Duggars realize what a shark-jumping moment this whole thing is.  How can they possibly top this extravaganza with future marriages?  We've seen it all by now, and I mean ALL.  Like, ad nauseam, to the point of ridiculousness.  Where can they possibly go from here?

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 14

I didn't find it all that intolerable, but........Once again Michelle makes it all about Josie.  I could have throttled her when she wanted to put the fingerprint between the birds.  You could tell the women around her were like "psycho!"

You know Josh is ticked that he didn't get all this build up and a 2 hour show.  Is it just because the family is more popular now, or is it because it's a girl? Or is it because they've seen we like Jill better than Josh?  Her relationship with Derick is what dragged me back into this show after being absent for several years. Her beliefs seem genuine and their relationship so real.  I missed the reveal scene -when did they show it?

• Love 3

So we've had to wait 45 minutes to hear about Derick's family & upbringing. All 5 minutes of it.

Yes, it IS all about Jill.

Haven't the last six months of the show already been "all about Jill?" Honestly, where in the world does TLC get its producers. I mean, what kinds of qualifications are they looking for?  Which apparently they don't find...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 5

Let the Jill-fest commence!

* J'Chelle needs to cut back on the spray tanning.  She is incandescent orange.  

* Jim Boob used the word "compliant" when describing Jill's childhood demeanor.  Hmm.

* Jim Boob's little joke about what Jill and Derick are most looking forward to.  Ugh.  I guess I'm just not used to fathers making sexual quips about their daughters, silly me!

* Poor Joy . . . she really is losing her mother.  I feel so sorry for her.  J'Chelle is absolutely shameless.  Do you think she realizes how "lucky" she is to have successful beaten her daughters into emotional submission so that she can wash her hands of the vast majority of her maternal responsibilities?  That's not a rhetorical question.  I can't imagine pawning off my daughter on someone else.

* The focus on how Jill and Derick hugged.  I am utterly sick of hearing about the vertical contact of two grown-ass people.

* I don't think the elder Duggars realize what a shark-jumping moment this whole thing is.  How can they possibly top this extravaganza with future marriages?  We've seen it all by now, and I mean ALL.  Like, ad nauseam, to the point of ridiculousness.  Where can they possibly go from here?

The side hug is disgusting and stupid.  If you want to avoid Ebola, just don't hug at all.  Otherwise, please stop this non-sense.  

Boob needs to stop talking about their upcoming sex life.  It's just plain gross - like he's thinking about it way too much.  Guess since MEchelle's womb gave out, he has to purpose his thoughts in other directions. (more grand babies of course)

They can't top it and probably at this point don't even want to be on TV.  Jana hates it- obviously -(as does John David).  She does her few words but wants to disappear.  If feel very sorry for them. I know many people that have been and are in the spotlight in Hollywood that want nothing more than to be out of the spotlight.  They are caught in a crazy situation that their parents created.  

I think Jana just wants a normal dating life and life in general- away from the compound - but doesn't know how to get there. 

• Love 1

Please tell me that, after Jill's two freakin' hour wedding episode, we're not going to be subjected to another 6 or 7 episodes devoted to Jessa's wedding preparations!

I'm another one who wanted to reach through my TV and slap Michelle for having to have her thumbprint right next to the lovebirds in the painting.  God, she's so annoying, not to mention that listening to her voice makes my teeth hurt!

I get the feeling that Jill and Derick will have an equal partnership, but Jessa will be wearing the pants in her marriage to Ben.  He just seems to agree with everything she says.  That poor sucker!

Why couldn't we have seen more of Derick's family background and skipped watching Anna birthing all three of her kids AGAIN?  Once was more than enough for that shit.

• Love 4

In the gender reveal, I noticed the pictures on the wall behind them. Looks like 3 but Derickdillard is standing in front of 1 so you can only see 2. It looks like they are the baby's sonogram photos. Don't get me wrong, I've seen smaller frames to hold a sonogram but these are larger ones hanging on the wall like school pictures. I know they're excited & I wish them the best, but she still has a way to go with this pregnancy. I think this is way over the top, like everything else with this pregnancy.

• Love 7

Once again, where do I start.

Jill is an expert first responder because she told her brother not to move because he could have broken his neck. Seriously. The only reason why she *volunteered* with the fire department was to make sure her brothers were not defrauded by some hussy female heathen.

Did Josh say midwiv instead of midwife training. Anna thought she was lucky Michelle and Jill were there while she was given birth. *snicker number one*

On the subject of awesome kissing, Anna giving kissing advice would be like a dog asking my cat on how to use the cat box.

I love how they went on and on about Jill wanting to be a midwife esp. after she had to get permission from daddykins to be one, and she had to have Jana trail along to make sure she was not defrauding or attempted to make a run for it.

Michelle saying Jill likes people, babies and relationships. *snicker number two*

Asking her father and siblings about what the happy couple will be looking forward to after the wedding. Keep it klassy!!! *snicker number three*

The one baby who did not like Michelle when she wanted to hold her. Smart kid!!!

The only sane ones in the group was Grandma Mary, and Derick's mom and brother. His family sees the writing on the wall.

All the Jill is getting married and starting a family statements makes me want to beat my head against the wall.

And giving Jill recipes because she is use to cooking for a big family. Really... She can't figure this out on her own. She is a grown responsible young woman don't ya know. *rolling eyes*

I'm watching it again on the second go-around.  I just noticed "Derick Dillard's" brother's snarky comment about how "interesting" he thought it was that Jill and Jim Boob traveled halfway around the world to see Derick.  He's never acted like he was completely on board with this whole thing.  I feel sorry for Derick's mother.  You can tell that she's merely tolerating this circus.  I realize that the bride will naturally take the spotlight in any wedding, but this is ridiculous.

(By the way, please mark this down as the 82nd time I've been subjected to Wannabe Keith Urban's awful engagement song.  Please, please send him "all the way to Kathmandu" so that I don't have to hear this again.)

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 9

I loved when Jill & Jana were discussing the perms. Jill laughed they had the full curly perm & it wasn't to give their hair body. For once they sounded like normal sisters reminiscing who would say "oh God, did you believe we looked like that?" And then MEchelle had to gloss over the perms that the four sisters wanted to look alike. Jill & Jana said they got to be the perm experts, by default. Wrong --MEchelle is the perm expert in that family.

• Love 3

TLC is expecting this wedding to be a ratings boost. For those of you just tuning in, meet Jill, our virgin sacrifice, I mean blushing bride.

Venessa. 

I wonder if Jill really helped all those women, or if a few of 'em wanted to see a celebrity.

Michelle is at her most honest when she said "Where did the time go? It was like I blinked and missed it. "  She has so many kids, she seems to trouble keeping track of everyone growing up and individual milestones.

how to describe Jill in one word. "Useful" says her brothers. To be fair, useful people might be hard to come by in that house.

One of the things she enjoys is spending time with the family. What choice does she have?

Jill laughing at the old hair was funny, 

The buddy team thing is awful.

Good for Jill doing all those activities.

Jill on Josie. "It's been great watching her grow from micro-premie to a healthy little girl with an attitude."  (No sure if that's the exact wording.)

The healthy is debatable, but the attitude seems to be real.

I would not have picked Jim Bob based on his "interest in missionary work"

It's good to see Cathy look good and sort of healthy.

It cracks me up that both Derrick's family and Jill's family did sibling letter themes.

If I had lost one or both of my parents, I would have been very vulnerable like Derrick. He went to Jim Bob to make up for a loss of a father and ended up marrying into the family. My fundie lite friends had similar relationship with a young woman that didn't end well. In general I think Jill and Derrick are well-suited, but the similarities are a little disconcerting. 

I don't believe you can have  "thousands of closest friends". 

I agree with bigskygirl Cathy and Dan see the writing on the wall.

I'm not a baby person, so the baby picture freaked me out. (I'm weird I know.)

I really do think Jill loves babies and not just, because she's a Duggar girl. None of her sisters seem quite as in love with babies.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5

I love how they replayed the full frontal hug and then went on to explain how it was completely accidental. What a ridiculous world they live in where something like that actually matters.

Jilly-Muffin loooooves babies so much, we get it. Too bad she's likely going to give up her midwifery training now that she has landed Derrick-Muffin. Way to be committed, Jill!

• Love 8

(noticed during tonight's replay of when Jill told JB and Michelle she wanted to go to Nepal)

Words prominently displayed over the door inside the Duggar parental bedroom:
"Be Still"

I really need to scrub my eyeballs right about now...

• Love 3
Josh, it is NOT an awesome thing sharing your first kiss in front of hundreds of people! It's just not.

Not only do most people not want to share their first kiss in front of everyone they have ever met especially their parents, brothers and sisters, and Grandma. Most would find that mortifying, embarassing, etc. Brothers and sisters generally don't want to see that either they tend to be grossed out at the thought of their brother or sister kissing someone. 

• Love 2

JBoob skeeves me the hell out with that weasel snicker of his talking about the sex after the wedding. His own daughter. ..he truly does believe he owns the females in his home. Derricks brother thinks they are all tools and couldn't wait to get back to his PBR. I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing the memory lanes on the miracle snowflake... and to think that utter fool got pregnant AGAIN following that ordeal. My big question however as i must have missed that episode.. did anna actually give birth to one of her pups in a "shitter", for lack of a better term? What the almighty hell was going on there? ? Smuggler looks so puffy and pasty! How old is he cus he looks at least forty!

These people. Its like watching a freak show to me.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 5

JimBoob is absolutely obsessed with sex. His smirking response that Derick would be looking forward to what would happen after the wedding was gross and completely inappropriate. He's like a snickering immature schoolboy, only worse because he's talking about his own daughter. Just sick.

J'Chelle should be ashamed to admit that she made slaves out of her older girls, making them raise their younger siblings. Instead she revels in it, knowing she got away with abdicating her responsibility as a parent. Normally, protective services would move in when children are being neglected by a parent. Too bad that never happened here.

I had the feeling Derick's mother is tolerating this whole weird situation, but it's not what she would have chosen for him. His brother just thinks the whole thing is ridiculous.

Saddest moment of the preview is when poor Jennifer is crying because she's about to lose her mother, and JimBoob is the one trying to comfort her while J'Chelle is, as always, MIA.

• Love 8

If I had lost one or both of my parents, I would have been very vulnerable like Derrick. He went to Jim Bob to make up for a lost of a father and ended up marrying into the family. 

This whole conversation made me uncomfortable.  Derick sounded so sincere in his motives to approach Jim Bob as a prayer partner, but Jim Bob came off almost like a pimp at worst and professional matchmaker at best.  I hate that the girls can't find their own mates.  Nothing will convince me that Jana or even Jinger haven't garnered any attention by now.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 3

There was something in the way Derick was speaking about his family that did make him seem a bit vulnerable. I don't blame him -- who wouldn't be. He lost his dad as a frosh in college in a very sudden way -- that means he was like 18-19. Boys are still growing into the men they become at that age; he didn't have his dad around to talk about college classes, careers, whether to go on a mission, dating, marriage etc. And I assume by the time he was doing the interviews for the show, his mom was already sick; so now he's worrying about his only other parent, and at the end of the day he is ONLY 25. I know in Duggar years that is old man/old maid status if you aren't married with 3 kids of your own by then, but for most regular people in the US that's only 3 yrs out of college. Most are still figuring out what kind of jobs/professions they want long term, some are in med/law school, some are contemplating applying to grad school etc.

Without even realizing it, he probably was looking for a male role model who could guide him in a positive way. He even said -- I knew he had daughters but I didn't really know when I contacted him. Here JB sees a Godly young man with a college degree and immediately starts thinking "which of my daughters can I marry off to get them off my payroll and to keep the TLC ship sailing." He didn't even think about -- this guy lost his dad, finished college, went to Nepal for 2 yrs and is just now coming back to his first professional job. That is a LOT of change for someone; maybe it's time for him to have a girlfriend but marriage and fatherhood may not be another change he needs right this second. Nope -- Duggar courting rules cannot be broken, so he couldn't have just introduced Jill and Derick and let them date and get to know each other slowly over time -- he had to seal the deal asap.

• Love 13

I no longer watch this trainwreck (I just come here for updates and snark!) but WTF?!?!? She wanted to put her thumbprint on a pic? For real?
  • Love 2

I just saw the reveal while watching The 7 Little Johnstons. (About 15 minutes in) I don't know if this was the first time or not it was shown.

What are they revealing? The sex of the baby? If so, what are they having?

What are they revealing? The sex of the baby? If so, what are they having?

Boy. And in typical Duggar fashion Derick said "what's NEAT about having a first born son is that you can teach him everything you know and raise him up to be a man." I'm sure he himself meant nothing by it, but knowing the Duggars they are already thinking about the kind of man this fetus will be and praying for his future wife and dozens of kids. I'm happy for Derick that it's a boy though. I know it doesn't replace what he's lost in his dad, but he will be able to share a lot of things with his son that his dad likely did with him.

• Love 2

JimBoob is absolutely obsessed with sex. His smirking response that Derick would be looking forward to what would happen after the wedding was gross and completely inappropriate. He's like a snickering immature schoolboy, only worse because he's talking about his own daughter. Just sick.

J'Chelle should be ashamed to admit that she made slaves out of her older girls, making them raise their younger siblings. Instead she revels in it, knowing she got away with abdicating her responsibility as a parent. Normally, protective services would move in when children are being neglected by a parent. Too bad that never happened here.

I had the feeling Derick's mother is tolerating this whole weird situation, but it's not what she would have chosen for him. His brother just thinks the whole thing is ridiculous.

Saddest moment of the preview is when poor Jennifer is crying because she's about to lose her mother, and JimBoob is the one trying to comfort her while J'Chelle is, as always, MIA.

After reading your post I now remember why I stopped watching this mess. Back when I used to watch I would always feel my blood pressure inching towards heart attack/stroke territory for the very reasons you've just written. I'm so glad that I escaped with my health intact!
  • Love 1

I no longer watch this trainwreck (I just come here for updates and snark!) but WTF?!?!? She wanted to put her thumbprint on a pic? For real?

I don't remember who Venessa is, but Venessa threw a wedding shower for Jill. (I accidentally wrote Baby shower and had to remind myself, no she wasn't pregnant in the episode.)

The wedding shower was for gifts from Jill's midwife/doula clients. In lieu of guestbook, they had a picture to hang on the wall, which Venessa the organizer had people sign and either put their thumbprint or their babies thumbprint on the sign. Since most of the babies were very youngish (Mostly under two year old and mostly present), it was a way of getting babies involved. Michelle was attending the shower as the mother of the bride, which seemed normal to me. 

There were two love birds on the big picture card. Michelle joked (not funny) that she should put her thumbprint and sign in the middle since they were still in the chaperone period. She mercifully decided not to.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I feel defrauded...I sat through this crapola episode because I thought tonight was the Wedding of the Century! Just Meh!

MEchelle appears to be riding the anxiety/panic train as the Big Day gets closer.  Pretty soon MEchelle's voice is going to be so strident and high pitched that only those poor, run-wild Dogs at the compound will be able to hear her.

I keep saying that I won't watch anymore, but deep inside I want to see the wedding to assure myself that these people really do have some real emotions, instead of being alien pod-people.

That lost girl Jenny seems miserable - no snark - get her some help MEchelle.  If MEchelle and Boob won't help Jenny, I hope someone from TLC feels obligated to intervene.  Very upsetting.

Oh (sorry I can't find you poster to credit), whoever came up with Jim Boob having a "weasel snicker" described him perfectly.

• Love 6

Boy. And in typical Duggar fashion Derick said "what's NEAT about having a first born son is that you can teach him everything you know and raise him up to be a man." I'm sure he himself meant nothing by it, but knowing the Duggars they are already thinking about the kind of man this fetus will be and praying for his future wife and dozens of kids. I'm happy for Derick that it's a boy though. I know it doesn't replace what he's lost in his dad, but he will be able to share a lot of things with his son that his dad likely did with him.

That last sentence says so much to me.

• Love 2

I must say I find myself with a smile on my face when Jill and Derick (together or separate) are doing their talking heads. They both are really good, genuine people and make a very nice couple.

I got the impression that Derick didn't necessarily grow up in a particularly religious family and losing his father sent him down that path looking for meaning in his loss.

Edited by AnnieGirl
  • Love 2

And giving Jill recipes because she is use to cooking for a big family. Really... She can't figure this out on her own. She is a grown responsible young woman don't ya know. *rolling eyes*

Most of us just do the math when we want to adjust the recipes we have.  Another SOTDT fail.

• Love 3