Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E08: Week 6: Pitbull

• Start Topic

ABC's press release about the show. 

Episode 1906” – International superstar Pitbull returns to the ballroom and for the first time joins Julianne Hough, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli as a guest judge MONDAY, OCTOBER 20 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on “Dancing with the Stars.” Pitbull will kick-off the night with a steamy performance of his hit single “Fireball” followed by the nine remaining celebrities performing to a mix of his hits and personal favorite songs. Dance styles will include Salsa, Rumba, Foxtrot, Tango and Jazz. At the end of the night, one couple will face elimination.

Thanks howmanywords! Here are the dances for this week:

Janel and  Val – Samba

Jonathan and Allison – Jazz

Bethany and Derek – Tango

Alfonso and Witney – Salsa (song: “Booty” by Jennifer Lopez feat. Pitbull – no, it’s NOT the Iggy Azalea version)

Lea and Artem – Salsa

Michael and Emma – Argentine tango

Antonio and Cheryl – Salsa

Tommy and Peta – Foxtrot

Sadie and Mark – Rumba (song: “Diamonds” by Rihanna)

So Leah Remini is going to be taking over for Erin this week. I wish that Tony was still around because Leah and Tony together are a scream. I wish Pitbull wasn't the judge and I wish they weren't using his horrible music. Why not Gloria Estefan??

• Love 1

I wish Pitbull wasn't the judge and I wish they weren't using his horrible music. Why not Gloria Estefan??

Or even better Carlos Santana.  Loved when he was on the show. 

I am well aware why they avoided the dance with Zendaya. I was just responding to the comment that the producers could have avoided giving Mark and Sadie that dance if they wanted to.

They could have, but given the issues Sadie brings to the show, it makes sense that the producers want to capitalize on it.. 

• Love 2
Tony in the shirt. Bwah.

And it still fits so well, I just adore him, heh.

I really miss Len, it's just silly at this point to have to deal with the three stooges and whatever inexperienced boob is standing in as "guest judge", which is funny to me since the whole idea of a judge is that they're meant to have enough knowledge of whatever subject is at hand to then judge it properly based on personal knowledge and experience...

• Love 3

Wow Pitbull...way harsh. I actually agreed with Julianne that the choreography was challenging and had a lot of Samba content. Honestly, my issue with the dance was that I found Janel's costume, particularly the skirt, very distracting. Anyone else feel like this? I don't know what was going on there but it almost looked like the costume department ran out of time or something and just threw pieces of material together and called it a skirt. It was uneven, the folds were messy looking and honestly it was really distracting for me. As for their package, once I saw where that was going I stopped listening.

• Love 1

Oof. I was on team "I don't give a shit whether Janel and Val are faking a relationship or not" but that package was straight out of the Maks and Meryl script book. I think I've been tipped into the annoyed by it group. I'm glad Carrie Anne called her out on being off-balance - the thing that bugs about Janel for me is she's almost so good. That's what so jarring about when she has those moments when she's hauled from one place to another by a partner, or through a messy turn. And cut it with the love story crap! It feels so fake.

Do you think they'll keep making the eliminated couple go first? Seems like the, "you're already gone" spot... thinking it might be a swan song for Jonathan. 

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure they are just trying to scare Janel and it's her week to sweat it out.  They have already made Sadie and Lea sweat it out and Alfonso isn't believable.  With Antonio safe, I think it's Jonathan.  Probably that jazz was his parting gift.

I miss Len.

The Janel/Val package is funnier when you consider that she just broke up with her boyfriend this week.  But give it a freaking rest already.  Nobody cares.   On a better note, that was by far the most dancing Val has ever made Janel do so I was happy to see him challenge her for once.  I don't think she entirely pulled it off, though she performed it well enough that I'm sure people would vote for her anyway.  I'd be curious on the opinion of someone with an actual ballroom background though.  She just never seems crisp or sharp enough.  There's something very "wet noodle" about her movement to me.  I also agree with whoever said her skirt was distracting.  

Look at Pitbull handing out 7's.  

Tommy was better this week than last.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

Who is sitting next to Florence Henderson? She looks familiar but for some reason I can't place it. 

Also echoing everyone about Janel/Val. Give it a rest. Love that Pitbull didn't feel the showmance chemistry, though. That made me snicker.

Can Leah permanently replace Erin? I love how blunt she was about Cheryl and Antonio's scores. Let's see if she says the same about Michael's.

Finally: can Pitbull stop pulling his paddles out so slowly?

• Love 7
Who is sitting next to Florence Henderson? She looks familiar but for some reason I can't place it.

I'm pretty sure that's Paula Abdul.

Can Leah permanently replace Erin?

Different strokes because I'm barely listening to any of her interviews and will be thrilled when Erin comes back. Leah is someone that I can only take so much of.

• Love 7

Sadie is quite a beautiful young dancer. I haven't seen her dance before.  Haven't been watching. Too bad she is so restricted by her religion, otherwise we might see some incredible performances.

• Love 1

I do not think Sadie has been restricted in any way by her religion.  The dance needed to be age appropriate.  

Sadie did a fantastic job and I don't know what was wrong with Julianne and Bruno giving her 8's.

• Love 3

What's happening with Sadie is what I feared at the beginning of the season. It's perfectly fine for her to want to be modest, but we don't need to hear about it at length. Her behind the scenes package would have still gotten the point across if they'd stopped it before the over the top helicoptering footage of grandma and mom. I feel like they try too hard to get tails wagging with the constant references to her religion. Less is more here IMO.

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 13
What's happening with Sadie is what I feared at the beginning of the season. It's perfectly fine for her to want to be modest, but we don't need to hear about it at length. Her behind the scenes package would have still gotten the point across if they'd stopped it before the over the top helicoptering footage of grandma and mom. I feel like they try too hard to get tails wagging with the constant references to her religion. Less is more here IMO.

Sadie is a beautiful young dancer but the constant references to her family's aggressive Christianity will turn people off.  This show keeps trying to make right wingers happen although Sadie is light years better than the horror named Bristol Palin.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 4

So the girl trips, slips, or whatever and they give her nine's??  I guess this is being staged for her to get to be a captain for the Team Dance next week.  Because you know Golden Boy has to be in charge of the Team Dance.

• Love 5

Derek probably hasn't gotten a 5, but he's gotten 7s before.  So, he knows how a 7 feels.

I had to laugh at Bethany having to go to Australia for her job.  Doing Youtube videos.  What a living.  And I don't know what Pitbull is talking about saying you couldn't see that slip.  I saw it right out.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 5

Pitbull is a horrible judge and I never want to see him on this show again. Jonathan and Allisons dance just didn't do it for me but he did a great job with it. Janel didn't look that good to me but she wasn't bad either. The choreo was good though. Tommy was better this week but it was still a mess. He definitely is having a hard time remembering the dances and its really showing now. If he makes it to the weeks with 2 dances he's in trouble. I enjoyed Leah tonight and Tom once again was on fire. Antonio was better but still not good. Cheryl did a good job with how she choreographed the number. Lea was not super solid tonight and I had a feeling she wouldn't be. Latin isn't going to be her forte. I was not pleased with Artem freaking out about Alfonso and not choreographing to her strengths. It's bad enough that she is so tough on herself she doesn't need him making her feel less confident. I'm so glad that the judges finally mentioned her posture because it's something Artem hasn't worked on and maybe he will now. Sadie and Marks dance was sweet but I really didn't watch the package because I knew how it was going to go down. Michael getting 8's for that dance?? That score with the comments tells me his fanbase is scary big and they need to placate his fans.  Leah talking about Derek not getting 5's or 7s and then Herb Welching him(SNL reference) was priceless. Alfonso dance was amazing and he is definitely heads and tails above the rest. I just hope that he is going to be ok for the future. Whitney is such a sweetheart and I hated seeing her cry.

• Love 4

Derek probably hasn't gotten a 5, but he's gotten 7s before.  So, he knows how a 7 feels.

I had to laugh at Bethany having to go to Australia for her job.  Doing Youtube videos.  What a living.  And I don't know what Pitbull is talking about saying you couldn't see that slip.  I saw it right out.

When she said she had to go for her job I was like wait a minute, she has a job? Oh right. She's on youtube.

• Love 4

Carrie Ann did state that Bethany was going for a 10 in her opinion until the slip happened so I guess the 9 on her part makes sense. Honestly, I'd have to rewatch the dance to tell how good it was because that music for a tango was so god-awful it was distracting as hell. From what I saw it definitely looked like it had a lot of content and her frame was decent but I almost felt the dance was moving on speed because one, the song was so rushed and two, maybe Derek's strategy was to keep her moving as fast as possible so any issues with her frame/technique would not show as much due to the lack of practice. Unfortunately moving so fast is likely what caused the slip.

One thing I didn't get was the part of their package when Derek told Bethany he would see her in two days. Bethany had work obligations in Australia but Derek doesn't stay with her to keep working on their dance? All I could assume is because Derek himself probably had obligations he had to attend to in the States. I know he attended some award ceremony where he was honored for something to do with bullying. And that's where the Pros becoming too successful in their own right can become a problem at times because in seasons past Pros were pretty much with the celebrity whatever obligations they had. Missing two days of rehearsal at this point in the competition - wow.

Meanwhile, did Emma and Witney get a 2 for 1 sale on their outfits? I spent both their dances wondering where the rest of their costumes were. I guess Witney's sort of makes sense with the song they had but I was completely baffled by Emma's outfit for an Argentine Tango. All I could think was she was hoping to distract from Michael's poor dancing by having everyone look at her. I can't knock her strategy, especially since based on the judges' scores and comments, I'm wondering if it worked on them because I did not see much dancing there from Michael. And my goodness that had to be the SLOWEST AT I have ever seen. It was like my screen was in slow motion for a second.

From earlier in the night, Jonathan and Alison's jazz was really good and that's probably the most and best dancing he's done since his week 1 jive. It's unfortunate that he'll still be going home but hey, at least he left on a high note. Meanwhile that mike thing with Leah and Derek was really weird. Aren't mikes pretty heavy? It was a gag that just went a little too long for my comfort. And found the no 5's and 7's comments a wee bit passive aggressive.

I liked Alfonso's dance but I was with Julianne on it not really being a salsa. Honestly, I thought Antonio and Cheryl's salsa had WAY more content and if Antonio was just a bit less stiff, would have been a much better performance. I actually think Alfonso was overscored and all 9's would have been fair. Tommy is skating by a little I think and I'll be interested in what happens when Len gets back next week. While I like him and Peta is doing a great job and she's coming off so fun and personable this season with him, Tommy's footwork and frame is actually not that great and I was really surprised none of the judges mentioned it.

Lea's legs are very shaky when she dances and it actually makes me almost nervous for her. Like I notice that I'm always slightly holding my breath when she dances, hoping her legs don't just give out on her. The dance was okay but yeah she has to relax or she's going to psych herself right out of that competition. No idea what Julianne was talking about, about Lea being the woman to beat. Maybe technique wise she's the best and that's kind of debatable in my book but I think the woman to beat at this point is Sadie.

Speaking of Sadie, I really liked her rumba but she was missing a lot of the hip action and I think that might be why Julianne and Bruno gave her 8's. It was definitely very lyrical and beautiful. Of course I now anticipate Mark's whinging again next week about those 8's and how the judges are underscoring him. Finally wow, Janel is not pulling in the votes is she because that was a hell of a scare they threw at her and her fanbase there. I thought for sure they would call her safe first and it would come down to Michael and Jonathan. Yeah I still think she and Lea are going to be the surprise boots this season.

That said, it's his and Whitney to lose at this point. It's a race for second.

I actually think it might be Sadie's. Yes she and her family have their detractors but they also do have a strong and devoted fanbase and there are many casual viewers who probably know little about her family and don't care and only see a cute, adorable, sweet girl dancing her butt off. Yeah I think if Mark just continues doing what he's doing, doesn't overthink it, he's getting his third mirrorball.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I like you Val.  But stop selling the showmance.  It's tiring and annoying.

And who knew that the Carlton dance could potentially kill you?  That said, it's his and Whitney to lose at this point.  It's a race for second. 

• Love 11

YouTube is in the middle of a maaajor marketing push, that Bethany is one of the faces of. I think that's what she was going for. YouTube itself is not a small internet thing - it's beginning to stake a claim as being a serious model for shows and content - breaking into the Network/Cable/Netflix mess of the future of entertainment "content." The fact that she's one of the faces of that is no small thing. 

But she also has a clothing line and several other business deals - she's on somewhat of a Martha Stewart career track if she's smart about how she manages her career here on out. Clearly, not that big yet, but that's the model - show + merchandise empire. The only difference is her show is online.

I have to say she's growing on me. I liked that the tango was a pretty straight tango - and while it wasn't perfect it was pretty good for as little time that they had. 

---

And I was right! If they keep making the first dance spot the "dead in the water" dance spot, it's going to take any and all suspense out of it, show.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 3

I think tonight this was the most Peta has ever worn on the show. Ever. Her dress was positively frumpy - in Peta standards.

I can't say I'm surprised by the results - Jonathan seemed like he was there for the right reasons and had the potential, but he got screwed with his partner. Sorry to see you go, Jonathan, but not so much to Allison.

• Love 5

I think this show should be quite thankful that Alfonso is such a good sport and has a great sense of humour. Who the hell did Carrie Ann think she was? What if Bruno ever tried such a stunt with a female star or pro? She really needs to have a seat on the moon.

I adored the dance though. I did pick up some of Alfonso's island flair, as Pitbull pointed out correctly for once, as well so it was great, cheeky fun, though I thought Whitney could have taken out some of those moves, especially the flips at the end. It wasn't necessary and it could, as it did, tweak his groin worse. She has to learn when your star is hurt you should try and work around that, not flare up the injury even worse.

So Alison is finally gone, thank god. Jonathan wasn't a very natural dancer, but lord knows he should have outlasted Michael, heck he should have been given his partner I feel. What a shame, but I won't be sad that she's gone, I just couldn't take anymore of the non-ballroom choreography and the "'tude".

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 3

Sad for Jonathan.  At least he's going out on some praise.  I hate to break it to people, but I'm pretty sure Michael isn't going anywhere for awhile.   

However that's two weeks in a row of pretty sucky dancing.  Alfonso and Sadie are the only ones keeping my interest at this point and of course we have Alfonso injured.  

Sadie is far from a perfect dancer, but I still think she's a far more natural performer than a lot of the paid performers.  

I also just really like Alfonso/Witney's relationship.  That stuff always feels far more genuine to me than always needing to push the relationship angle.

So we are still heading towards an Alfonso vs. Sadie showdown, right?

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

So we are still heading towards an Alfonso vs. Sadie showdown, right?

Not if Julianne has anything to do with it.  She lowballed Sadie once again while overscoring her brother's partner who almost fell.

• Love 3

Good lord I'm so sick of these people and their act that I want to scream.  Sean Johnson and Zendaya competed at the age of seventeen.  They were age appropriate, relatively modest, and managed not to whore up the joint.  This poor girl is given absolutely no autonomy of her own body.  What a teaching moment this could have been.  How about talking it through with Sadie and asking what her head/heart/body are telling her.  Is she uncomfortable?  Instead, her wants/needs/likes are completely unimportant.  If this was her  seventeen year old redneck hillbilly male cousin, they'd probably be high-fiving him every time his female pro's boob almost pops out. 

And I'm not going to go into how freakish it is that her grandma looks likes she's forty.

• Love 20
Not if Julianne has anything to do with it.  She lowballed Sadie once again while overscoring her brother's partner who almost fell.

Julianne was the one to give Sadie a 10 for her Samba while both Bruno and Carrie Ann gave her 9's.

Edited by truthaboutluv

It just killed me when they praised Derek for doing a straight tango with no goofing around !! He's the King of "non ballroom ballroom" and he gets kudos when alot of the other stars always do the pure dance ! I also thought their tango had absolutely no passion and am surprised no judge mentioned it....tho the ridiculous music might have been part of the reason.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Val and Zendaya also do a wonderful and very age appropriate rumba? I do like Sadi and Mark's partnership .

Wish Michael or Tommy had gone home instead!

Enough with the guest judges who know nothing about ballroom dancing!!!

• Love 3

I think everyone saw this elimination coming a mile away but it still cheeses me off when the judges start propping other celebs without merit. The way they gushed about Michael's improvement was laughable, the man did nothing but stand there and pose while Emma draped herself all over him. Sure he's better when he doesn't have to move - without that whole moving thing, he's golden.

Same for Tommy. Granted, he moved, but not well. I thought it was very telling how Julianne (or was it Carrie Ann, and does it matter?) predicted he would be in the competition for a long long time. He must be running away with the votes. And this is where the show really gets awkward, because it's going to be painful to see Michael and/or Tommy outlast people like Lea or, God forbid, Alfonso.

It still seems to me like the judges are looking for things to criticize about Lea just to justify her eventual elimination because to me she seems every bit as good as Bethany or Sadie. That's two weeks in a row now where she's had her own solo and killed it. I've yet to see Bethany or Sadie do that. And it sort of feels like they're propping Bethany because I thought her Tango was kind of stiff and clunky. But she's got Derek the Golden Haired Wonder as a partner which makes her a shoo-in for the final two so the judges have to find some reason to praise her.

They need to cut the shit with the Val and Janel relationship, it's embarrassing and I don't care whether or not they're fucking. Stop it.

I still think Sadie is cute as a button but she needs to cut it out with the "I'm too Christian to dance sexy" shit. I'm fine with her being too young, or too conservative, or too modest, but to bring her religious morals into it suggests that other Christian dancers who don't have a problem doing sexy dances aren't as moral or as Christian as she is and that's insulting. If religious people are going to pull this holier than thou crap they shouldn't be on this show.

I know Leah Remini isn't everyone's cup of tea but I thought she was a vast improvement over Erin Andrews. Andrews just always seems too flustered, tongue-tied and rushed. Leah was prepared, on point and funny.

• Love 16

Julianne was the one to give Sadie a 10 for her Samba while both Bruno and Carrie Ann gave her 9's.

I thought it was Carrie Ann - 9, Pitbull - 10, Julianne - 8, Bruno 8 (?)

I thought the score was fair, especially since it wasn't 10-worthy. With the 10 it adds up to 1 point less than Bethany - which is pretty neck and neck, I doubt that impacts that much how many audience votes you need to pull to make up the difference. 

I also think it's headed toward a Sadie/Alphonso final 2. I wasn't sure who'd be that 3rd spot, but I'm kinda leaning towards Bethany. 

Can Leah permanently replace Erin? I love how blunt she was about Cheryl and Antonio's scores. Let's see if she says the same about Michael's.

Leah made me want to stab myself with an ice pick. What an annoying obnoxious tool she is. Erin can be annoying but she doesn't overpower every interview and make herself the center of everything like Leah did. She's as bad as the equally obnoxious Kirstie Alley.

• Love 10
I thought it was Carrie Ann - 9, Pitbull - 10, Julianne - 8, Bruno 8 (?)

I was referring to her scores for her Samba two weeks ago. I should have quoted I guess but I was responding to a comment about Julianne lowballing Sadie while overscoring Bethany, which I disagree with.

Andrews just always seems too flustered, tongue-tied and rushed. Leah was prepared, on point and funny.

The little I did watch of her I found her loud, incredibly awkward at points, kind of inappropriate in other points and generally a bit of a loud mouth who rarely gave the celebrity or the Pros a chance to say much even after asking them something. I also didn't think she played well off of Tom at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Val and Zendaya also do a wonderful and very age appropriate rumba?

No they didn't. They were never assigned that style.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I was referring to her scores for her Samba two weeks ago. I should have quoted I guess but I was responding to a comment about Julianne lowballing Sadie while overscoring Bethany, which I disagree with.

The little I did watch of her I found her loud, incredibly awkward at points, kind of inappropriate in other points and generally a bit of a loud mouth who rarely gave the celebrity or the Pros a chance to say much even after asking them something. I also didn't think she played well off of Tom at all.

No they didn't. They were never assigned that style.

I don't think Leah would be a good fit as a permanent host, but I enjoyed her as a one off guest.

The closest Zendaya/Val came to a rumba was that they had a dance off that season where the couples had to prepare a jive, rumba and cha cha and then the couples challenged each other in some complicated fashion.  Val challenged Jacoby/Karina and then he basically asked them to not choose rumba.  But they must have rehearsed one anyway because they couldn't rely on the fact that the other couples would be nice enough to honor their wishes.

• Love 1

Ah, gotcha, I forgot about that 10. I agree, I don't think Julianne's been lowballing Sadie - or overscoring Bethany. I've actually really enjoyed her so far as a judge. And irrelevant, but last week and this week she's looked very very pretty. 

• Love 2