Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Our new(ish) big boy, Lucky, is settling in well. As he’s a bit reactive and a 65-pound pit-mix, we hired a personal trainer. It’s amazing how smart he is and how quickly he picks things up. There is also absolutely zero malice in him. Looks terrifying, but he’s a big ol’ baby who loves people. And, while he’s more open to others than our little overstuffed dachshund (aka my shadow) he’s showing signs of also being a mama’s boy.

What cracks me up is his reaction to things. The other day, he started barking, right when I was in the middle of something and at a pitch that drilled straight to my brain. I spoke a bit sharply to him. He stared at me a second, put his head down, then slowly climbed into my lap (I reacted quickly and moved my laptop), put his head on my chest and sighed.

Similar thing with fireworks. He was anxious. Hubs and Stepson tried to talk to him. I said “it’s ok, Pumpkin.” He walks across the room, climbs in my lap and goes to sleep. I guess he needed Mommy to say it was ok.

They truly are the best. Though it’s funny I’m his “protector” as I’m the smallest human around…

• Love 11

My favorite picture of our babies. I love that little Speedy looks like he’s posing, while Lucky looks somewhat caught off guard.

IMG_1201.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 9
(edited)

My cat is really clumsy (also a sociopath, but that's a story for another day).  The maxim that cats always land on their feet?  Total myth.  She routinely misjudges distances or spaces.   

I just heard an ungodly thud and howl from "her" room, where she was sleeping on what used to be the guest bed.  She had apparently rolled over and fallen off.  I took one look and thought "Damn, she's not moving that leg, even to come get treats.  I guess we're off to the emergency vet on a Saturday."  Upon closer inspection, I could see that one front leg was at an odd angle and was getting worried.  Then I realized she had somehow gotten it through her collar. It was faster to cut the collar than fiddle with the breakaway button, and she took off like a shot.  

Now she's enjoying life unencumbered by a collar or bell, and I may never be able to restrain her in order to get a new collar on her.  

Edited by Quof
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 7
On 7/17/2024 at 4:44 PM, AgathaC said:

My favorite picture of our babies. I love that little Speedy looks like he’s posing, while Lucky looks somewhat caught off guard.

IMG_1201.jpeg

Oh, they're sharing the bed.  So sweet. 

• Like 9
On 7/20/2024 at 12:59 PM, Quof said:

I may never be able to restrain her in order to get a new collar on her.  

Quoting myself.

I've been trying for 3 days. A grown ass woman with a law degree, thwarted by a 7 pound tortie.  

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 13
(edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 4:11 PM, Quof said:

Quoting myself.

I've been trying for 3 days. A grown ass woman with a law degree, thwarted by a 7 pound tortie.  

Now you know how I felt for weeks trying to catch a little 6 week old kitten that outsmarted not only me but my friend from the TNR center. Two grown ass women against 1 kitten! I well know your frustration. 

These are her two sisters playing. Each one   literally walked into the traps! So easy!!

The little trickster is now home with me and her mama. I'm going to call her Trixie. I haven't gotten a good photo of her yet...

8A2CDE40-72E3-4693-8C19-38D51544D911_1_102_o.jpeg

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 11
On 7/23/2024 at 5:11 PM, Quof said:

Quoting myself.

A Tortie is going to Tortie. They're a breed unto themselves.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Now you know how I felt for weeks trying to catch a little 6 week old kitten that outsmarted not only me but my friend from the TNR center. Two grown ass women against 1 kitten! I well know your frustration. 

These are her two sisters playing. Each one   literally walked into the traps! So easy!!

The little trickster is now home with me and her mama. I'm going to call her Trixie. I haven't gotten a good photo of her yet...

8A2CDE40-72E3-4693-8C19-38D51544D911_1_102_o.jpeg

You caught her? That's great! 

1 hour ago, Anela said:

You caught her? That's great! 

Yes, I caught her in the garage the 15th. Just in time as the appointment to have all 3 fixed was the 17th. That was a close one. She's a cutie, but still very leary of me after all the trying to catch her. I have to sneak up to get any photos.

Here's one with her lounging with one of the older cats:

IMG_2335.jpeg.12f620b319e1b9135047af8887f7e80f.jpeg

• Love 9

My cat’s blood count is up into safe numbers.  We checked his blood again today, and he got a B12 shot.  We have B12 pills to give him, too. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
2 minutes ago, Anela said:

My cat’s blood count is up into safe numbers.  We checked his blood again today, and he got a B12 shot.  We have B12 pills to give him, too. 

I can't find a post explaining the underlying problem, but I'm glad to hear whatever it is has improved, and hope it continues.  B12 injections have done wonders as a supplement to treatment for a number of conditions, so I hope that will give a great boost to the existing progress.

Just now, Anela said:

They said he had something going on with his liver, but they didn’t know what it was.  

(From another thread)

Have you ever tried him on Denamarin?  The liver is a highly regenerative organ, and that's something that can help it do its healing thing with a variety of liver ailments.

• Useful 3
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't find a post explaining the underlying problem, but I'm glad to hear whatever it is has improved, and hope it continues.  B12 injections have done wonders as a supplement to treatment for a number of conditions, so I hope that will give a great boost to the existing progress.

(From another thread)

Have you ever tried him on Denamarin?  The liver is a highly regenerative organ, and that's something that can help it do its healing thing with a variety of liver ailments.

Asking because I really don't know, is this true (that the liver is "highly regenerative") only of cats? Because what I know about human livers, not so...which is why so many people are (mostly unsuccessfully) on the liver transplant waiting list. Stuff like cirrhosis and other ailments of the liver are pretty much permanent and from what I know (my husband died of liver failure due to Hepatitis C) you can't fix a liver that has been damaged. But you can live with only a small part of a liver (whether yours or from a donor), you don't necessarily need a whole intact organ for a transplant (I know someone who was the donor of a part of his liver and both the donor and person who got the part are doing just fine, many years later).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, isalicat said:

Asking because I really don't know, is this true (that the liver is "highly regenerative") only of cats?

It's the most regenerative organ in the human body, too.  But, while it is amazingly capable of repairing itself after physical damage - e.g. being able to regrow to a normal size after up to 90% of it has been removed - there are many diseases (as you noted) that can irreparably harm it. 

It's just that with cats, their liver ailments are more likely to be among those that can be treated or pretty easily managed for a long time, especially if caught early -- other than being uniquely vulnerable to the life-threatening condition of hepatic lipidosis, which is a secondary illness that (unlike in humans and dogs) can set in relatively quickly when a sick cat stops eating -- while humans are prone to a wider range of serious liver diseases.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Our Princess Fuzzybutt crossed the rainbow bridge last night. She developed an abscess on her face. We took her to the emergency vet. They found a stage 4 heart murmur and she had developed gingivitis and would need all her teeth removed. As she was 12 we had to make a very hard decision. 

She was a feral cat when she adopted us. We tried to make her an inside kitty over the years. She would have had to be inside only and might have problems with anaesthesia. As she was already in a considerable amount of pain we needed to think of her first.

I held her as they administered the medicine and she went very quickly and quietly. Mom and Dad are devastated.

• Hugs 20
  • Sad 5
15 hours ago, badhaggis said:

Our Princess Fuzzybutt crossed the rainbow bridge last night.

I'm so sorry for your loss @badhaggis. Sounds like you did the right thing. So many things wrong at the same time. I hope you and your family can take time to grieve.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Thank you. She has really left a hole in our hearts and home. I keep on starting to look for her. I just had a cervical fusion about three weeks ago. My only consolation is I was able stay home with her since then and pamper her. I had realised she wasn't feeling good but had no idea it was this bad. She still had her fierce purr and spent lots of time cuddling with me. 

• Hugs 13
(edited)
On 8/11/2024 at 8:33 AM, badhaggis said:

Thank you. She has really left a hole in our hearts and home. I keep on starting to look for her. I just had a cervical fusion about three weeks ago. My only consolation is I was able stay home with her since then and pamper her. I had realised she wasn't feeling good but had no idea it was this bad. She still had her fierce purr and spent lots of time cuddling with me. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  (As an aside, non pet people just don't get it, and I hope that sometimes online forums can help.)

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  (As an aside, non pet people just don't get it, and I hope that sometimes online forums can help.)

No they don't. 

My head tells me we did the correct thing. My heart tells me I was my sweet little love. She has been my cuddle buddy a way wanting to be right next to me.

The forum users have helped me immeasurably. 

Edited by badhaggis
  • Sad 4
  • Love 5