Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Started the hard task of going through all of my cat stuff.  I hadn't done any of it in August when Alice passed away, since I still had Maggie.  I can't believe how many ceramic cat dishes I have.  And, I had just stocked up on wet cat food and litter.  I can find a home for the food, but I might see if I can return the box of litter to the store, since I didn't open it. It's a little sad to dismantle the big cat tree, but neither cat had been physically able to use it for quite a while, so that chore won't be too bad (I should have gotten rid of it a long time ago).

I'm so sorry. (((hugs)))

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Started the hard task of going through all of my cat stuff.  I hadn't done any of it in August when Alice passed away, since I still had Maggie.  I can't believe how many ceramic cat dishes I have.  And, I had just stocked up on wet cat food and litter.  I can find a home for the food, but I might see if I can return the box of litter to the store, since I didn't open it. It's a little sad to dismantle the big cat tree, but neither cat had been physically able to use it for quite a while, so that chore won't be too bad (I should have gotten rid of it a long time ago).

You don’t have to do anything until you’re ready. The litter won’t expire, a shelter might have need of it if you don’t want to return it to the store. I know shelters etc can’t take used cat trees but maybe another feline loving friend with younger cats would appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

You don’t have to do anything until you’re ready. The litter won’t expire, a shelter might have need of it if you don’t want to return it to the store. I know shelters etc can’t take used cat trees but maybe another feline loving friend with younger cats would appreciate it. 

The cat tree got pretty chewed up and scratched over the years, so I don't think anyone else would want it.  I might see if I can clean it up a bit and advertise at my campus to see if anyone wants it for free.  I returned the cat litter to Walmart a few minutes ago.  It was very strange not to even go down the cat food aisle, since I tended to pick up something for the girls almost every trip. 

It's interesting to see how my habits are already changing. I usually kept the door between the kitchen and the laundry room closed (main entrance that people use is through the laundry room) so that when I was going in and out or when someone came to the door there was a buffer between the cats and an open door. It feels odd to be able to leave it open now.  Also, I was able to leave the grocery bags on the kitchen floor/counter until I could get them unpacked. The cat that passed yesterday had pica, so she would eat the handles off of grocery bags. I always had to keep them stored out of her reach. 

Edited by BooksRule
typo
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 7

It upsets me that you are going through this.  I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.  I have no words to comfort, because there are really no words to help.   Just know that we are here.  

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 5

I picked up my Maggie's ashes at lunchtime today. I still had her sister Alice's ashes (in a pretty walnut box) in a bowl on the kitchen table because I hadn't gotten around to deciding where I wanted to put her. So, for now Miss Maggie will be next to her sister. I felt a bit of closure when I brought her home. I got a plaster cast of a pawprint for each of them, so I'll put those on the Christmas tree (they both loved the Christmas tree--Alice would climb it until she got too chonky and Maggie would bump against the ornaments on the bottom limbs until they fell off (and broke until I started putting unbreakables on the bottom).

• Like 1
  • Hugs 11
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I picked up my Maggie's ashes at lunchtime today. I still had her sister Alice's ashes (in a pretty walnut box) in a bowl on the kitchen table because I hadn't gotten around to deciding where I wanted to put her. So, for now Miss Maggie will be next to her sister. I felt a bit of closure when I brought her home. I got a plaster cast of a pawprint for each of them, so I'll put those on the Christmas tree (they both loved the Christmas tree--Alice would climb it until she got too chonky and Maggie would bump against the ornaments on the bottom limbs until they fell off (and broke until I started putting unbreakables on the bottom).

I memorialize all my pets with a Christmas ornament as well. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

My kitties all have/had their own ornaments, too, in the closest match to their coloring I can find:

Ornaments.JPG

And then starting with Riley (and my parents' cats), I did paw print impressions, too:

Riley's pawprint.JPG

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 9

I would love to post a photo of my two kitty girls here but I'm not sure how to do it so that it fits right.  Any advice on how to do this?  I just have a photo I could choose that has both of them in it that I've saved on my computer in the 'pictures' file.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I would love to post a photo of my two kitty girls here but I'm not sure how to do it so that it fits right.  Any advice on how to do this?  I just have a photo I could choose that has both of them in it that I've saved on my computer in the 'pictures' file.

I go to a site called Resize My Image. It’s free. I follow their simple instructions and usually their finished product allows me to post it on here. My difficulty is usually that it’s too big and I can shrink it by half. I hope this helps you.  

• Useful 3

Ginny's respiratory issues have reared their head again, when I thought we had solved the issue :(

Poor girl is getting so stuffed up she is having trouble breathing through her nose. I bought a baby nasal aspirator off of Amazon which will arrive tomorrow. Also, since her respiratory issues were best on duck/green pea dry food, but she really didn't like the taste, I tried a different brand but still duck/green pea. I'm really hoping she doesn't need antibiotics, given how they seem to mess with her GI system, but I'm not sure we will be able to avoid.

The good news is that the steroids are slowly improving her diarrhea - certainly not the dramatic improvement I had hoped for, but some improvement nevertheless. Hopefully this change in food doesn't throw her for a loop.

• Hugs 8
29 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Ginny's respiratory issues have reared their head again, when I thought we had solved the issue :(

Poor girl is getting so stuffed up she is having trouble breathing through her nose. I bought a baby nasal aspirator off of Amazon which will arrive tomorrow. Also, since her respiratory issues were best on duck/green pea dry food, but she really didn't like the taste, I tried a different brand but still duck/green pea. I'm really hoping she doesn't need antibiotics, given how they seem to mess with her GI system, but I'm not sure we will be able to avoid.

The good news is that the steroids are slowly improving her diarrhea - certainly not the dramatic improvement I had hoped for, but some improvement nevertheless. Hopefully this change in food doesn't throw her for a loop.

I'm sorry. Why does this shit always happen on weekends or holidays?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry. Why does this shit always happen on weekends or holidays?

The plus side is that it isn’t a holiday here (unlike when I had to take her to the emergency vet on Easter Sunday). However, I am very aware that giving her “a couple of days” takes us to the weekend :(

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The plus side is that it isn’t a holiday here (unlike when I had to take her to the emergency vet on Easter Sunday). However, I am very aware that giving her “a couple of days” takes us to the weekend :(

When we had to put Nathan down, it was a Sunday. It was an emergency because he had a blood clot in his back and it was the most heinous thing I have ever witnessed. We couldn't take him to his regular vet, they were closed so we had to take him to a new vet. I doubt he even noticed by that point but is was not good.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 7

Has anyone watched the YouTube videos called "Sitting With Dogs" from Rocky Kanaka? He goes to shelters and sits with them and coaxes them out of their shyness and fear. It's sad, but also inspiring.

I was pissed that this one dog got adopted, the couple pretty quickly left him in a crate to go shopping, he freaked out and tore it up so they took him back to the shelter. What idiots!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4

How can this be?   I lost husband as you know.  I took down pictures to give back to his family.   Some were still left on a chair.   Now Harleycat jumps and sleeps next to the pictures of him.     Never slept there before.     Still waiting on stress meds for her.     She has stopped attacking me.  Now just seems sad.  But she is eating and letting me pet.  Until her tail starts flicking.  Then I back off.

I really can't tell anyone about this.    Cat sleeping next to pictures.

• Hugs 10
25 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

Until her tail starts flicking.  Then I back off.

Yes!  I have had to teach a couple of dog people this, as to them it was tail "wagging" and a sign the pet is happy.  Nope, not with cats.

I'm glad you're no longer getting attacked.  Is she less agitated in general, not trying to climb the walls and such?  I hope so.  It can be so hard on them when their person or sibling just doesn't ever come home -- at least we know what happened, but they have confusion on top of sadness.  Some are much more affected than others.

(Bandit knew that Chester had died, as he was in the room [and smelled the pheremone that gets released], so he didn't stalk the house searching for him as he'd done when his other brother never came home from the hospital, but he was still terribly distraught.) 

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes!  I have had to teach a couple of dog people this, as to them it was tail "wagging" and a sign the pet is happy.  Nope, not with cats.

I'm glad you're no longer getting attacked.  Is she less agitated in general, not trying to climb the walls and such?  I hope so.  It can be so hard on them when their person or sibling just doesn't ever come home -- at least we know what happened, but they have confusion on top of sadness.  Some are much more affected than others.

(Bandit knew that Chester had died, as he was in the room [and smelled the pheremone that gets released], so he didn't stalk the house searching for him as he'd done when his other brother never came home from the hospital, but he was still terribly distraught.) 

And the worst  part is, you can't even explain it to them or offer any comfort. 

• Sad 2

Thank you.

No, but still searching.  I find her in strange places. Digging into things wants closets open.   She hides in corners and still stares at vents walls and ceilings.  Sitting in his stool, his chair..   it's really quite spooky.    No more attacks.    Walks by and meows. 

If I sleep wake to see her staring at me.  And she does a little 'Mew'   It's really sad, and I don't know how to help her.   At least she is eating, but only treats for now.

I'm not, cant keep anything down but soup, and that's temp at best.

C'mon cat stress meds.  

• Hugs 8
  • Sad 2

Stress meds came.  It says 4 drops in water.  Hell, she was creeping around again and said, "cmere kits"  and cleaned her eyes and put 2 drops in her mouth.     Hope she sleeps.   She was not happy with that whole thing.  Hope she is ok

It's herbal  so no real meds?     Maybe I will make a cup of tea and dump the whole thing in there  🙂

• Hugs 2

Looks as if I was right and it is arthritis. The vet appreciated the video I took of him on the stairs. She is going to start him on two meds- one dose a day to see how he does before either upping the dose or moving to injections. 

His blood work can determine if he can stay on the meds the rest of his life. 

He had some sensitivity around his spine and the right back leg but good range of motion she said. 

He made his weigh in at a slim trim 73.8lbs😁 (when he came to me he was 92lbs). 

It’s been a long day but I’m glad he’s going to be okay. 

IMG_9621.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 14

I spent the night with soothing cat videos again.   Yes, they are out there.  For cats.   Seems they like piano music.  ?   I see her ears twiching and enjoy?  Who knew?   4 hour long utubes just for cats to listen to.    Woke up to the bird one.  Chirping birds hopping around.    

Harley still medicated with the herbal drops for stress.   Letting me touch and pet now.    Rolling and scratching the rug instead of me.  🙂   More big loving eyes then the lizard kill ones.   Still wary of the tail twitch.  

This Harley cat boxing her little fists in air.   eeek.    I did not know that cats were prizefighters.   She will win.

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

Update.  Just found her in the toilet again.   Big grey cat in the toilet.  Shocking to see.    I have no idea as to why she was in there.   She has plenty of food, water and treats. 

Got her to lay down again.     WTF    I think I need to call a  Vet again.

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
On 11/16/2023 at 8:26 PM, Gramto6 said:

I hate how they combine posts when you post back to back. This was supposed to be a fun light post separate from BookRule's post....

Off topic, but I hate it too when posts are combined - sometimes I specifically wait for a while with my new comment open to make sure they don't get combined, because the two comments are so disparate.

Maybe I'll take this to bugs to see if it's been addressed.

Sorry to be off topic.  Mods, please take me off in handcuffs if this post isn't okay.  Well, not really, but you'll never find me anyway (insert evil laugh - oh, here you are!).

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, I came here to post a funny joke and to catch up on your stories and sweet pictures, and I'm seeing so much sadness and grief.

I come here from time to time because you all do a great job of cheering me up when I'm sad, or distracting me when I'm mad, and believe me, I've often been helped by your posts.  Thank you all for that.

I'm so sorry to all of you who have recently experienced such hard losses, and to those of you who've been reminded of sad times through these stories.  To those lurkers out there who've known loss, we know you're there, and we want you to know we know, and we think of you and send you comfort hugs too.

♥️

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 7

Here's the funny picture I referenced earlier.  It's not about pets, but I thought there'd be lots of cross pollination here between knitters and cat lovers and lockdown sufferers and people with Scandinavian roots combined with those much loved husbands who verge on pushing you just a touch too far sometimes.  I hope it makes you smile.

Husband.jpg

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think I have the photo issue figured out. This is breakfast for most of the feral cats this morning.  Outside temp 8°F.

Oh my!  Do they have a shelter of some sort? I remember having a cat who had to be outdoors for reasons I won’t get into here, but I was freaking out trying to make sure he was in the screen porch overnight with a dogloo and a heating pad. I guess it’s different for “wild” animals - I haven’t had similar concerns for the squirrels or bunnies that I see around here. 

• Like 4

Shelters are an on going project. The TNR people were supposed to bring me some hay bales today but I guess they got busy. I have a lot of heavy duty cardboard boxes at this point with layers of old blankets and bedding inside. They cuddle 3-4 in a box at night so I think they do pretty well with shared heat.  I don't like it, but some have found a way under the house (mobile home) and I think the heat from the furnace ducts keep them warm too. That has to stop eventually , but for now it is what it is.

This summer I'm converting a tin shed that is partially insulated into a cat abode. It already has electricity to it so for Winter I can put one of those portable oil heaters inside. Big project, but too cold to try this time of year. They have their heavy fur coats and manage to find places to keep warm.  I feed them warm food morning and evening. It is a full time job looking after them, but I love them all to death so I will do all I can to keep them well fed and warm.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6

I was typing the same information when Mindthinkr's post came in -- a few years ago, I looked up feral cat shelters (my friend wound up bringing her feral inside, giving her a closed room with a catio, but at the time we were looking for outdoor options) and saw those warnings on all the sites I visited.  It doesn't get all that cold here, and certainly not freezing, so we'd never thought about it. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

@Mindthinkr I know, someone here even mentioned it not too long ago. I need help getting the straw here, which hopefully they will bring tomorrow. I'll be out all morning up in town for a MRI in the morning. Hope to come home and have it waiting.

So far all I have are what I mentioned above. I haven't had any freeze thank goodness and for now it is the best I can do. Soon it will be better... I think a lot are going under the house in various spots and cuddled in the boxes against the house. Thank goodness we haven't had rain or snow for a while.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

@Mindthinkr I know, someone here even mentioned it not too long ago. I need help getting the straw here, which hopefully they will bring tomorrow. I'll be out all morning up in town for a MRI in the morning. Hope to come home and have it waiting.

So far all I have are what I mentioned above. I haven't had any freeze thank goodness and for now it is the best I can do. Soon it will be better... I think a lot are going under the house in various spots and cuddled in the boxes against the house. Thank goodness we haven't had rain or snow for a while.

I completely understand about the MRI tomorrow. Is there a farm store that has delivery in your area? I’d be happy to order some for the kitties and pay for it.  I am also glad the dread of winter isn’t upon you yet and there is still time to find solutions that work for both you and your feral friends. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I completely understand about the MRI tomorrow. Is there a farm store that has delivery in your area? I’d be happy to order some for the kitties and pay for it.  I am also glad the dread of winter isn’t upon you yet and there is still time to find solutions that work for both you and your feral friends. 

Count me in too!

• Like 3
  • Love 4

That is very sweet of you both! (((Hugs))). The TNR people are really good about getting things to me. I think they just got busy today. On Sunday when I talked to them in the evening they were still spaying the last of the 21 cats the did that day. It is still busy for them. They know my situation and will get me as many straw bales as I need and at no charge. Our weather is still dry, though cold over night until next weekend. I'm sure in the next day or 2 they will take care of me.

These guys are amazing. He is a retired veterinarian 72 yrs old and his wife is late 60's they run this non-profit and are a 501c org. They get a lot of donations locally, but at some point he is just not going to be able to keep doing this. I just hope I can get the rest of mine fixed this Spring. 

My kitties are well fed, fat, fluffy and healthy.  They're sheltered the best I can for now soon it will be better.

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

This is why you have to be careful about welcoming an African Grey  into you life.    RIP, my pep pep..     She was scary good.   Not her, but close 

Einstein is a chatty bird. My favorite was when he was saying “Roll” and he did a side to side head movement that cracked me up. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think I have the photo issue figured out. This is breakfast for most of the feral cats this morning.  Outside temp 8°F.

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

OMG they are so cute! Thank you for taking care of them!

8 degrees??? It’s 39 here and I’m freezing. I can’t imagine 8 degrees!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

My favorite memory of a dog.

I was in Washington DC.   Underground Train station.   Not too long after 911.   Here comes this policeman with a giant German Sheperd.   Suddenly the dog dives into a trash can.   Everyone backed up, scared.   A bomb?

No, the pup comes up with a sandwich that someone had thown away.

• Like 4
  • LOL 11