Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I second the idea of calling the vet to see what they think - I did that once for Echo, when I was unsure, and they said obviously if I want to bring her in they would see her, but I should be okay to hold off and gave me warning signs for what to look out for.

The lack of activity/eating is the most concerning for me. I hope Iggy makes a full recovery!!

I learned today that my strictly indoor cats have fleas (found the reason for the little scabs that they have had over the last couple of months). So even unlikely things can happen. At least it's not ringworm.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

@isalicat Is Iggy doing better today, or are you two at the vet?  I hope it's the former, but if the latter, I hope it's something easy to treat.

I am so happy to report that Iggy seems quite back to his normal self!! He went outside with me late last night (just into our back garden, which has a very high wall so is very cat safe) and while I admired the gorgeous starry night he went into the bushes and relieved himself (so that was good as I was worried about that particularly), and then came back inside and had a snack before bedtime. Both cats drank a bunch of water last night and this morning ate their normal amount of crunchies before going outside to sit in the sun. Iggy is probably now entirely sick of me checking on him every hour but I am so glad that whatever it was (probably ate someone that did not agree with him in a big way) has passed. I noticed his sister (Hilda) was entirely unconcerned - is that normal? (I've never had sibling cats before and she did not seem at all phased by his being pretty much immobile for 3 days.)

• Like 5
  • Love 5

Glad to hear Iggy is back to normal!! It is hard when our pets are sick because they can't tell us what is wrong. We have to go into Sherlock Holmes mode to figure out what may be wrong. 

I do understand being hesitant to take him to the vet.  I've  had quite a few cats from childhood on, and not one of them "liked" going to the vet. It always seemed so stressful for them. Glad you didn't have to go that route!

• Love 1

Does anyone have experience with a flea infestation?

I am doing what I can in terms of cleaning - especially focusing on the carpet and cat bedding - but obviously it’s a big undertaking. And with the treatment for the cats, it lasts for 30 days and any flea that bites them will die before hatching eggs. So theoretically if I continue that for 3-4 months (or indefinitely), all the eggs should hatch and try to feed on the cats and then die right? So eventually it will work it’s way out?

Just want to make sure it’s not absolutely critical to get every last egg. 

• Fire 1
On 11/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, secnarf said:

So theoretically if I continue that for 3-4 months (or indefinitely), all the eggs should hatch and try to feed on the cats and then die right? So eventually it will work it’s way out?

My late, great Baxter had an unhappy summer when his radioiodine treatment for hyperthyroid disorder made him hypothyroid (quite rare, but Bax was all about the "we hardly ever see this in cats" conditions) and we had to wait to put him on the synthetic hormone to see if his body would start producing it on its own -- during that waiting period, he had a few things happen to him, including getting fleas for the first time.  I put the treatment on him and my other cat Maddie, even though I never saw any evidence of them bothering her, and he was no longer bitten and itchy pretty quickly (maybe a couple of weeks at most?), but I did another treatment on both of them the next month just in case.  So, if my experience is typical, 3-4 months would certainly take care of an infestation.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 2
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Way back when I had dogs, I had a flea infestation -- it was almost worse for me than the dogs.  Fleas and mosquitoes love me!  I used Adams spray (they make one for cats, too), and it was very effective.  

https://www.adamspetcare.com

They love me too. We got fleas a couple of summers ago. We had every kind of spray, powder and dip they make. I used to spray my legs and feet with Raid before I even got out of bed every morning. We finally got rid of them but it felt like a siege.

• Like 3
On 11/11/2023 at 8:46 PM, secnarf said:

Does anyone have experience with a flea infestation?

I am doing what I can in terms of cleaning - especially focusing on the carpet and cat bedding - but obviously it’s a big undertaking. And with the treatment for the cats, it lasts for 30 days and any flea that bites them will die before hatching eggs. So theoretically if I continue that for 3-4 months (or indefinitely), all the eggs should hatch and try to feed on the cats and then die right? So eventually it will work it’s way out?

Just want to make sure it’s not absolutely critical to get every last egg. 

Blake and Charlie got fleas from a raccoon that was living in my Mom’s roof when they were living with my Mom in 2009 I think. I treated the cats, and treated the carpeted areas with this powder that dries out the husks. Once the cats were treated the fleas went away very quickly (no food). I did have to toss the giant cat bed with a monogram of “The Boys” because it didn’t fit in the dryer which my Mom was sad about. None of the humans in the house had any bites. 

• Like 3

I haven't posted here in a long time, but this is our family dog Barney. We've had him since 2009 and my mom has made the decision to have him put down tomorrow. He's been doing pretty bad for the past few weeks. He's been a devil dog, and a pain in the butt most of his life ha, but very entertaining. We've had him longer than any dog ever. Gonna miss him. 😑

img_1_1700016096937.jpg

Snapchat-358910157.jpg

• Hugs 21
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I haven't posted here in a long time, but this is our family dog Barney. We've had him since 2009 and my mom has made the decision to have him put down tomorrow. He's been doing pretty bad for the past few weeks. He's been a devil dog, and a pain in the butt most of his life ha, but very entertaining. We've had him longer than any dog ever. Gonna miss him. 😑

img_1_1700016096937.jpg

Snapchat-358910157.jpg

I’m so sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 11/14/2023 at 7:52 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

img_1_1700016096937.jpg

Snapchat-358910157.jpg

So sorry, that is one of the hardest decisions we as pet owners have to make. He'll always be in your heart. I hope it is a smooth journey to the Rainbow Bridge. (((HUGS)))

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I posted back in the middle of  August about having one of my cats (Alice) put to sleep due to failing health (kidney issues).  Well, I think her sister is having the same problems. She's been very skinny for the last year or so and the vet did diagnose her with kidney problems and put her on a prescription wet food diet.  However, last Friday she was having problems with weakness in her back legs, so I took her to the emergency vet hospital (why do these things happen at night or on weekends?).  They said that she was dehydrated and gave her some fluids. They thought it was due to her kidney problems.  Well, she perked up for several days, but she's only had a few bites of her food since yesterday (and I tried several different kinds) and just isn't 'right'. I had made an appointment with a new vet (the one I used for both cats for almost 20 years just retired a couple of weeks ago), but they couldn't see her until Tuesday.  Well, I'm going to call tomorrow to see if there's anyway they can work her in tomorrow or Saturday morning.  If not and she gets worse, I guess it's off to the emergency hospital again. I have a feeling that we're just about near the end for my Maggie, but I do want to make sure there isn't anything else I can do for her first. I don't think she's in pain, but I don't want to lose her if she could be around with some quality of life for a little longer. 

• Hugs 13
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

They said that she was dehydrated and gave her some fluids. They thought it was due to her kidney problems.  Well, she perked up for several days, but she's only had a few bites of her food since yesterday (and I tried several different kinds) and just isn't 'right'.

Are you able to give her subQ fluids at home?  Because if she perked up with fluids, she may need them regularly.  Are her kidney values at stage four?  If the blood tests the new vet does don't find anything else wrong with her, and you're able to give her fluids, I would definitely give it a try even at that stage; it can extend quality of life.

Do try to get her in earlier than Tuesday; I mentioned several days ago that cats who stop eating are vulnerable to a life-threatening condition called hepatic lipidosis and it can develop in a matter of days.  Try baby food (the kind that is just chicken and broth/turkey & broth), try crumbling some Temptations treats (kitty crack) on food, try raw chicken liver, etc. to see if you can spark her appetite in the interim.

I'll be hoping for the best!

On 11/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

He's been a devil dog, and a pain in the butt most of his life ha, but very entertaining.

Tania Torres (of Villalobos Rescue Center, featured on Pit Bulls & Parolees) called one of her little dogs "devil dog" a lot -- with all the affection in the world.  I'm sorry your family had to say goodbye to Barney.  That silver snout shows he had a good, long life, but we're never ready for it to end.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

So sorry about your Maggie cat @BooksRule. I hope you can find a solution that can give her more time if you don't think she is in any pain. Definitely try to get into the vet earlier than Tues if at all possible.

@Bastet's suggestions sound great for trying to get her to eat. I will store them away in my memory bank for future reference if I ever need to get a kitty to eat!

Good luck, I'll keep you and Maggie in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))

I hate how they combine posts when you post back to back. This was supposed to be a fun light post separate from BookRule's post....

Had my new furnace installed today! Yay, heat again!! And kitties got 2 huge boxes for new houses. One is so long it will be a 3 bedroom! 😸

Edited by Gramto6
Posts combined. Hate that! :((
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I went ahead and took Miss Maggie May to the emergency vet hospital. She got more fluids, something for any pain/discomfort she might be having, an anti-nausea med and they gave me some medicine to apply to the inside of hear ear that should hopefully stimulate her appetite. I'm hoping this will help her until I can meet with the vet on Tuesday and discuss any future plans.  (The emergency vet did talk briefly about whether or not I was ready to make that 'hard decision', but I said that if we can get her to Tuesday in comfort that I would talk to her 'regular' vet then). 

• Hugs 11
5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

they gave me some medicine to apply to the inside of hear ear that should hopefully stimulate her appetite

Sounds like that's probably the transdermal gel form of Mirtazapine -- if so, and if you've never given it (in any form) before, heads up that cat owners tend to call that drug "Meowzapine" instead as it can cause agitation as a side effect, which often results in a good deal of vocalizing the first day.  It can be jarring, so I don't want you panicking if it happens (but if it's severe, ask the vet if you should give a lower dose next time).

I'm glad you took her in.  I hope this all tides her over until Tuesday, and that the blood tests done then will show a path forward for Maggie.  (And, if not, at least you'll have the peace of mind that you made sure.)  Keep us posted as you're able; you two will be in my thoughts.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Sounds like that's probably the transdermal gel form of Mirtazapine -- if so, and if you've never given it (in any form) before, heads up that cat owners tend to call that drug "Meowzapine" instead as it can cause agitation as a side effect, which often results in a good deal of vocalizing the first day.  It can be jarring, so I don't want you panicking if it happens (but it it's severe, ask the vet if you should give a lower dose next time).

That's what they gave me ('gave' isn't the right word.  That's stuff's expensive!).  Thanks for the heads-up on the possible side-effect.

Edited by BooksRule
typo
  • Like 5

I am having a really hard time.   My husband passed away two weeks ago.  His cat Harley is looking all over for him.  She is actually climbing walls and staring at the walls and ceiling.   Sleeps with me, lets me pet - but will turn on me on a dime.  Attack.  I have bloody hands.   I am trying to do everything I can to  soothe her.   I know she is grieving too.     Really I never saw a cat actually climb a wall.   I don't know what to do to help her.

• Hugs 12
  • Sad 8
30 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

I am having a really hard time.   My husband passed away two weeks ago.  His cat Harley is looking all over for him.  She is actually climbing walls and staring at the walls and ceiling.   Sleeps with me, lets me pet - but will turn on me on a dime.  Attack.  I have bloody hands.   I am trying to do everything I can to  soothe her.   I know she is grieving too.     Really I never saw a cat actually climb a wall.   I don't know what to do to help her.

First, of course, my condolences on the death of your husband. 

To have a pet grieving alongside you can be a source of comfort, but it can also be a source of pain when they are acting out and you're at a loss as to how to help.  Paying extra attention to her - but leaving alone when she snaps - distracting her with toys if you can, playing music/the TV if that typically soothes her, etc. ... it sounds like you're already doing the usual things.

You may wind up needing to put her on Prozac.  Not for the rest of her life, but for a few months.  It takes up to a month to really kick in, though.  The vet will do blood tests to make sure nothing else is going on that simply happens to coincide with this tremendous upheaval in Harley's life, and once it's "confirmed" by elimination that this is almost certainly psychological, prescribe Prozac or a similar drug based on the specific behaviors her grief is causing. 

I normally wouldn't recommend even thinking about it after only two weeks, but what you're describing is a very strong reaction, including physically attacking you, so I would go ahead and talk with your vet about it now to be informed.  There are also supplements and diffusers that can help calm cats.  It's hard to know which are based on research and which are total snake oil, though, and I have not done a lot of research/experimenting in this area.  In my limited experience, Jackson Galaxy's line of products is reasonably effective.  Many cat owners have seen results from Feliway diffuser products (I have not, but only tried with one cat - for territorial anxiety - so that's not a repudiation of them).

I'm sorry to hear what you and Harley are going through, and hope the two of you are ultimately able to help each other cope with this devastating loss.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Well it's another loss for  family tonight. My boyfriend's aunt's Yorkie Weeds passed away today. She went in for surgery for cancer and didn't make it out.  I've known this dog for 5 years and babysat her many times. We loved each other. The cat is my boy Toby. They've spent a lot of time together as well. 

Snapchat-360993819.jpg

Snapchat-718438334~2.jpg

• Hugs 16
  • Sad 3

Thank you, Mindthinkr,  I just might try it myself.   heh.    She is sleeping now on her window perch.   I peek in on her. She looks and purrs, but I am careful.    Waiting for nightfall, that's when she gets crazy.    yikes.😀

He always told me, be very careful.   What?  look how pretty.  pet pet her.

Sudden loving eyes change.   Attack!    Always said, how did you raise her?   He would laugh.   Sorry if I am repeating myself.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 6

I called the Vet this morning.  They were very kind.  They said it's a normal ?? reaction to a loss.   And to try the medicine.  If not bring her in for tests.  She is getting too chubby now.

I don't understand.  He was gone for 3 months before this. (hospitals)   I think she is having a reaction to my vibes.     She knows something is really wrong.

I have to start acting normal.   Shaking her food, making sure she is warm and safe.  Loving her, but still comes after me. She runs up and purrs, breaks like cool aid man into bathroom if I go in there.  rolls happy, then gets mean.

C'mon cat medicine.  

I've only had dogs in my life before him

.  First time dealing with his cat.  Love her but hells.

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Hugs 9
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

He always told me, be very careful.   What?  look how pretty.  pet pet her.

Sudden loving eyes change.   Attack!    Always said, how did you raise her?   He would laugh. 

Okay, so the attacking behavior is pre-existing, not something she's only doing as part of her grief response.  (That actually makes me feel better about the severity of her response!)  Some cats are just like that, and you have to pay very close attention to their tell(s) it's about to happen.  Sometimes you're still caught unaware. 

2 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

I don't understand.  He was gone for 3 months before this. (hospitals)   I think she is having a reaction to my vibes.     She knows something is really wrong.

Oh, definitely -- their moods are affected by our moods.

2 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

C'mon cat medicine.  

Yes!  Hoping you find a calming aid she responds to.

• Like 8

Yes, she was a rescue.  From under some trailer park in upstate NY.  He took her in. Found her when he was doing medical drives to help people  there.    Then she is with me now.   Noback on window seat.    Whew.  That took some time to coax her.  (and find her)   Back in sunshine window.

Harley has safe warm bed, all the food she can eat,  fireplace and all things she can kill outside.   No litter box, comes and goes as pleases.   Gets upset if it is raining and does not want to go outside.      

Lots of land here.   And things for her to hunt.  eeeeeee

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 6

I am so sorry for your loss @Sweedish Fish and for also having to deal with sweet Harley's grief too.  Hopefully the suggested kitty meds will help calm her some so you too can relax some and have peace to grieve too. (((HUGS)))

It is a sad day for our little family here!

So sorry @pinkandsparkly13 to hear of the loss of little Yorkie Weeds. What a darling doggie she was!  I'm sure she will be missed by all in your family. Your Primetimer "family" sends (((HUGS))) and good thoughts to you and yours!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

I'm so sorry for your loss, @Sweedish Fish. I'm sure Harley picks up on your vibes. My Fox does that and she always is especially cuddly when I'm down. 

Maybe this will cheer everyone up a bit.

In my never ending quest to get my indoor cats used to becoming adventure cats, today I spent more than 2 hours in my parked car in the underground garage. Why you might ask? I want to get my cats used to my new car, so we can take short trips and they don't just associate cars with vet visits but with fun.

How did it go? Well, Scully came out, explored quite excitedly for 20 minutes and then got comfy on the dashboard. Now, I'm wondering how that will go when she has to stay in the carrier when the car is moving.

Fox spent the 2 hours under the passenger seat and I spent the 2 hours trying to get her out of there and at least back in the carrier. A whole bag of treats was almost finished. Scully had most of it.

The worst part. After we came back to the apartment, she wouldn't leave the carrier..... 🙄

I love them dearly but they do teach me patience. Lots of it.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

My Maggie decided not to wait for me to take her to the emergency vet tonight and passed peacefully next to me on the couch this afternoon. The local pet crematorium that handled her sister back in August has 'after hours' by appointment, so I was able to take her there so that they can take care of her early next week (probably Monday).

It's going to be very odd to have a house with no cats in it.  I had my two kitty girls for 19 1/2 years. 

• Hugs 18
  • Sad 5
3 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

My Maggie decided not to wait for me to take her to the emergency vet tonight and passed peacefully next to me on the couch this afternoon. The local pet crematorium that handled her sister back in August has 'after hours' by appointment, so I was able to take her there so that they can take care of her early next week (probably Monday).

It's going to be very odd to have a house with no cats in it.  I had my two kitty girls for 19 1/2 years. 

I'm so heartily sorry. I'm glad her last moments were spent at home with you and not at the scary vet's office. Please accept my condolences. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8
Just now, peacheslatour said:

I'm so heartily sorry. I'm glad her last moments were spent at home with you and not at the scary vet's office. Please accept my condolences.

Thank you.  When her sister Alice passed away in August, we were at the vet's office, but I don't think she really knew what was going on or where she was.  I was able to be with her during the process, which I think was good (definitely good for me to have that closure).  When my first cat passed away many years ago, she was at the emergency vet hospital and I wasn't there with her.  I always felt bad about that.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 5
27 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

@BooksRule  I am so sorry for your loss. As @peacheslatour said I'm happy too that she was snuggled up to you and feeling your love as she passed.  She had a long well loved life!   (((HUGS))) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

The cat-less house is really difficult, and my heart goes out to you.  I'm sorry to hear about Maggie; losing both of them within just a few months of each other is particularly hard.  At least the last thing Maggie ever knew was lying on the couch next to you.  To have had nearly 20 years with them is fantastic, but it still hurts like hell when they die.  The cats, though, don't have that same concept of time, they just know day by day that they're loved and adored, and you gave your girls a very full lifetime of that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I'm so very sorry to hear that, @BooksRule. At least she went peacefully with you at her side and no more vet appointments and stress. It must have been quite a shock, though. My thoughts are with you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

What a sad couple of days here...😿

Sending my sympathies and all to those experiencing the loss of a beloved furry companion (been there too, unfortunately, way too many times but it goes with the territory, as they say).

As we approach Thanksgiving, I hope all of you are able to be grateful for the time you had with your four legged friend and remember that there are a multitude of dogs and cats in the shelters waiting for their new family, whenever you are ready.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

@BooksRule I am sorry for your loss but I am glad she went peacefully. I knew that feeling of having a house with no cats in it at the end of 2021, my last cat of the last generation Blake died (I lost all three between March 2020-December 2021), and it was just me and Cosmo, by the time Christmas came I knew I wanted to open my home to another cat. Every cat I have had has brought me so much happiness, although it always hits to lose them. 

• Hugs 9
  • Love 1

Started the hard task of going through all of my cat stuff.  I hadn't done any of it in August when Alice passed away, since I still had Maggie.  I can't believe how many ceramic cat dishes I have.  And, I had just stocked up on wet cat food and litter.  I can find a home for the food, but I might see if I can return the box of litter to the store, since I didn't open it. It's a little sad to dismantle the big cat tree, but neither cat had been physically able to use it for quite a while, so that chore won't be too bad (I should have gotten rid of it a long time ago).

• Sad 8