Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I posted back in August about losing my Alice and again several weeks ago about losing her sister Maggie May.  Here is a photo of them (I hope it posts okay).  Maggie is the pale one on the left (her fur was the color of saltine crackers) and Alice was the darker one on the right (she had a chipmunk stripe down her back). (ETA:  This photo was taken when they were just a few months old--way back in 2004 or early 2005.)

MaggieAlice.jpg

Edited by BooksRule
  • Like 2
  • Love 20
On 12/1/2023 at 2:23 PM, Gramto6 said:

Now that I have the photo thingy figured out I can post some of my Kitties doing fun things...

The first photo they are actually nose to nose sniffing each other!

IMG_1379.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

Wait is that a deer???

I never been outside of NYC and that looks like heaven to me all that free space and fresh air! 

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Wait is that a deer???

I never been outside of NYC and that looks like heaven to me all that free space and fresh air! 

Yep! I have several that come through frequently. Also a beautiful blue heron visits from the wildlife refuge nearby. On the flip side an Eagle has a nest in some trees nearby and I worry about the little kitties. Hawks, ducks, raccoons, and skunks come frequently and once or twice every couple of years a lynx passes through. First time I heard it I thought a woman was screaming outside! I am in the boonies and it is quiet, peaceful and tons of nature around me.  Fortunately the kitties seem to get along with most of the wildlife.

On the minus side there is lots of snow in the Winter and it gets really cold, but it is gorgeous out here!

• Like 4
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I posted back in August about losing my Alice and again several weeks ago about losing her sister Maggie May.  Here is a photo of them (I hope it posts okay).  Maggie is the pale one on the left (her fur was the color of saltine crackers) and Alice was the darker one on the right (she had a chipmunk stripe down her back). (ETA:  This photo was taken when they were just a few months old--way back in 2004 or early 2005.)

MaggieAlice.jpg

That stripe is so unique! It reminds me of the ribbon candy my gran always had at Christmas. I'm pretty sure it was the same candy every year because nobody ever ate it!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
On 12/9/2023 at 6:25 PM, BooksRule said:

MaggieAlice.jpg

Such gorgeous girls! Thank you for sharing with us. You gave them long beautiful lives. 

I finally got the holiday cards ordered and I wanted to share some outtakes with you guys. 

IMG_9976.jpeg

IMG_9967.jpeg

IMG_9857.jpeg

IMG_9828.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 12
On 12/9/2023 at 5:25 PM, BooksRule said:

MaggieAlice.jpg

Beautiful girls! Sorry for your losses, but you were so lucky to have had so many wonderful years with them. They look well loved!

• Love 7

My cat George, lost a lot of weight again, and was way too skinny. We're still working on that, after getting him back to the vet. At first, I thought he had matted up his fur a bit, then panicked when I assumed I was feeling his ribs (I've been sick, and when I thought something was wrong with his eye, too, I felt like I actually left my body a bit - it was weird, but obviously a stress thing).  I'm sure there's something going on with his right eye, but the vet didn't say anything about it. 

He *had* matted up his fur, and over the last couple of days, it's somehow come loose, but is attached to him at one end - it almost looks like a tail on his side.  Dad said I should take some scissors to snip it off, but I'm afraid of getting actual skin. I'm just going to brush him, and try to work out what can be removed, or see if I can work it, the way I do my tangles. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
1 minute ago, Anela said:

I'm just going to brush him, and try to work out what can be removed, or see if I can work it, the way I do my tangles. 

Do you have electric clippers by any chance (the kind for human hair will work just fine, no need for any of the versions they sell for pets), so you could shave the matted section off instead (without having to worry about cutting him, like your concern with using scissors)?  (If it's mostly loose, you might be able to get the section that remains attached off with one good yank with a comb, but if he still has a good section matted to his body, brushing could be uncomfortable if not painful for him.)

5 minutes ago, Anela said:

My cat George, lost a lot of weight again, and was way too skinny. We're still working on that, after getting him back to the vet.

So everything tested okay -- no diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. causing the weight loss? 

• Like 4

Here are two more pictures of my babies. I still miss them so much!  Alice was lounging on one of the dining room chairs showing me her bunny paws, and Maggie May was stretched out on my computer desk (she loved napping there when I was at the computer).  I just noticed what site I was logged into when I took the picture! LOL!

Alice cute.jpg

Maggie computer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 9
40 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Here are two more pictures of my babies. I still miss them so much!  Alice was lounging on one of the dining room chairs showing me her bunny paws, and Maggie May was stretched out on my computer desk (she loved napping there when I was at the computer).  I just noticed what site I was logged into when I took the picture! LOL!

Alice cute.jpg

Maggie computer.jpg

I feel like I asked you (or someone??) something similar before but the search feature isn’t turning anything up. Based on your cat’s names, are you a fan of 70s rock?  Go Ask Alice?  Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you?  Even if not, thanks for the blast from the past, and needless to say, very cute babies. RIP to them and to PRIMETIMER!

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Based on your cat’s names, are you a fan of 70s rock?  Go Ask Alice?  Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you?  Even if not, thanks for the blast from the past, and needless to say, very cute babies.

I'm not sure about where I got Maggie May's name from.  Maybe 'wake up Maggie...', but I'm not positive.  She was actually named Olivia for about a day until I realized that she didn't look like an Olivia.  She was a Maggie. As for Alice, there was a commercial for something running on TV at the time (probably cat food) and there were cats named Ralph and Norton.  A tiny new kitten was added to the family and they named it Alice.  When I got Alice she looked just like the kitten in the commercial, so I named her after that cat. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Tales from life with Cosmo- on his afternoon walk today we were enjoying unseasonably warm weather (50F/10C) in Chicago. I went to throw his bag away in a neighborhood dumpster and when I opened the lid there was a live rat in there!!!!!!

I was shocked. (I don’t know why, probably because I wasn’t expecting it) Cosmos been with me almost 3yrs and I’m still amazed how much other “wild life” I see in the city with walking him. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Tales from life with Cosmo- on his afternoon walk today we were enjoying unseasonably warm weather (50F/10C) in Chicago. I went to throw his bag away in a neighborhood dumpster and when I opened the lid there was a live rat in there!!!!!!

I was shocked. (I don’t know why, probably because I wasn’t expecting it) Cosmos been with me almost 3yrs and I’m still amazed how much other “wild life” I see in the city with walking him. 

OMG! I would have fainted. Which is odd because I had pet rats as a kid. But city rats are a whole other thing. We get them her because we live in a resort town on a lake with a lot of restaurants and I hate them.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

1417bcb6-59a7-4c05-8837-983d323029e5.thumb.png.94ca3ebfa3d45d8f8b3b4fa5e32ecc45.png

We had to give up having a six foot tree because we like to put it in the central living room window. Elizabeth's cat tree is usually in front of that window and we move it for the tree. No. We. Do. Not. The first year we had it, she tried to kill it so many times, we had to take it down. Now we just have one of those wimpy little grandma trees in front of a "lesser" window, She tolerates that.

• LOL 12

I didn't put up my 6 ft tree this year, because I didn't trust Ginny and Luna. Instead I got a 4 ft tree that I could put on a low dresser in my bedroom, so the door would be closed when I am not home. They were actually impressively good with it, for cats that get into absolutely everything.

This is Luna, checking it out for the first time.

IMG_7707copy.thumb.jpg.8ff0ff0d238a940b03d78aae09c00ba3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 14

We have been very lucky with the cats we've had thus far, in that they don't get into our Christmas decorations or mess with our trees. Our first cat we had loved to lay on the tree blanket underneath the tree each year, and our two cats we have now don't bother to even touch the little tree we've got set up. I think there was, like, one or two times when both our first cat and one of our current ones might've batted at an ornament that fell off the tree. Otherwise, they're totally chill and leave everything alone. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7

Since I spend Christmas Eve and Christmas at my parents' house, so all the presents are under that tree, I just get a tree (Noble Fir) that's about 4-feet tall each year and set it up on a corner table in my living room.  Riley's first Christmas with me, she thoroughly inspected it -- and then ate the little corner of plastic I didn't realize was poking out from under the skirt (I put plastic under it in case I spill when adding water), chewed on a foam ornament, and even nibbled on a branch.  She's never even jumped up there again in subsequent years, though, so no problems.

I've never had a cat do anything truly destructive with a Christmas tree, climb it, or anything like that.  Batting at a low-hanging ornament is about all that ever happened*; they all mostly ignored them other than to sleep underneath once all the presents were gone.  One cat we had when I was growing up selected a present (a wrapped box) each year and slept on that same one every day until Christmas. 

*Except that Bandit would occasionally back up to and spray pee on the tree, which was decidedly uncool when that dripped on a present, but we could hardly blame him for it; he was a street cat for years before he came to us and got neutered, so while he quickly became a great litter box kitty, he still liked to "tomcat pee" on things outside to mark his territory during his daily rounds.  How in the world would we expect him to understand that when once a year we brought a tree in the house he wasn't supposed to pee on that one?

• Like 1
  • Love 9

This is my first catless Christmas since 2000 and between that and being away for a week earlier this month, I haven't done the usual amount of decorating. When I had multiple cats I put garlands and lights at the top of the walls but didn't get a tree because I knew at least one of them wouldn't be able to resist dangly things. When it was just me and Sasha I did get a tree and she checked it out a bit too thoroughly the first year, after that she'd sniff it and leave it be.

• Hugs 13
  • LOL 1

I'm so sorry to read this news!  If you're Christmas people, I'm also sorry a holiday you normally enjoy is marked by such terrible sadness.  We're not even overly into it, and losing a cat on 12/20 and one on 12/15 ruined those years' Christmases.

I know a spread of the cancer was a distinct possibility, but wish you all had been able to enjoy more time together before that happened.  At least, as you said, there was no second- and third-guessing what you should do; there is some comfort in knowing 100% that it's time, and I'm glad you have that.

My thoughts are with you today.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm so sorry to read this news!  If you're Christmas people, I'm also sorry a holiday you normally enjoy is marked by such terrible sadness.  We're not even overly into it, and losing a cat on 12/20 and one on 12/15 ruined those years' Christmases.

I know a spread of the cancer was a distinct possibility, but wish you all had been able to enjoy more time together before that happened.  At least, as you said, there was no second- and third-guessing what you should do; there is some comfort in knowing 100% that it's time, and I'm glad you have that.

My thoughts are with you today.

Thank you so much, Bastet. We are very much Christmas people. We hate it happened when it did, but we’re going ahead with our plans, doing our best to stay positive and enjoy the holiday. Hubby and his son are leaving on a trip the day after Christmas, so that will give H something to do and focus on.

It was the right call, but it’s still very sad. She was such a sweet, gentle, eccentric girl. I can’t help but think it made her sad, not being able to run and frolic like she used to. I feel happiness knowing she’s free.

• Hugs 17
8 hours ago, AgathaC said:

We said goodbye to our sweet Miss Kitty this morning. After bouncing back from her amputation, she started struggling the last week, until this morning when she didn’t want to stand up. On instinct, we took her to an urgent vet care place nearby (they treated a previous dog once and were great). The vet did x-rays and found a large mass in her abdomen.

While we were heartbroken, we were also relieved that the path was so clear. The vet and staff were very compassionate, for which we were grateful. I am sorry, though, that our regular vet couldn’t do it. He and his staff really loved her.

I know now she’s chasing bunnies and running around with a happy case of the zoomies.

IMG_2282.jpeg

I’m so sorry. And such a stress right at the holidays (no matter which one you celebrate), I was in the same position December 2021. 

You gave her a wonderful life. 

8 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Thank you so much, Bastet. We are very much Christmas people. We hate it happened when it did, but we’re going ahead with our plans, doing our best to stay positive and enjoy the holiday. Hubby and his son are leaving on a trip the day after Christmas, so that will give H something to do and focus on.

It was the right call, but it’s still very sad. She was such a sweet, gentle, eccentric girl. I can’t help but think it made her sad, not being able to run and frolic like she used to. I feel happiness knowing she’s free.

It’s the last bit of love we can give to them in times like these. Be gentle with yourself. I’m glad Hubby can go on his trip. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I am so sorry @AgathaC for your loss. It is so difficult to have to make that decision. Your love for Miss Kitty led you to make the hardest, but ultimately the best choice for her. I feel your sadness and pain. I had to make that same decision for my Baby Boo (avatar) on Dec 19, 2018. That year was a hard Christmas. 

I never thought I could bring another cat into my heart again, but time has a funny way of healing one. Now I am "mom" to around 30 feral cats that live outside. I still can't single one out to love and bring inside, but I love them all as they are and that has healed the wound to my heart. Time will tell when you are ready again for a new fur baby. Grieve and come to peace, as you say, be happy that she is free and whole in spirit and your heart.  (((HUGS)))

• Love 8

Our little guy (still working on our figure) is having a great Christmas. He and Kitty never bonded and mostly ignored each other, so he’s not distressed. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get a shot with his festive bow tie…

One of my gifts was a doggie DNA test so we can finally see if he’s got something other than dachshund.

IMG_0925.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 8
On 12/25/2023 at 1:51 PM, AgathaC said:

Our little guy (still working on our figure) is having a great Christmas. He and Kitty never bonded and mostly ignored each other, so he’s not distressed. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get a shot with his festive bow tie…

One of my gifts was a doggie DNA test so we can finally see if he’s got something other than dachshund.

IMG_0925.jpeg

Oh he’s such a cutie!!

It’s very hard to get dogs to lose weight, in the almost 3yrs Cosmo has been with he’s lost 19lbs! (92lbs down to 73lbs) 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh he’s such a cutie!!

It’s very hard to get dogs to lose weight, in the almost 3yrs Cosmo has been with he’s lost 19lbs! (92lbs down to 73lbs) 

His previous owner was an elderly lady who gave him too many treats or people food. Can’t fully blame her. He’s hard to resist. But the two of us enjoy our daily walks!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, AgathaC said:

His previous owner was an elderly lady who gave him too many treats or people food.

Ha -- my mental guess was spot on (a friend of mine inherited her mother-in-law's dog, who looked just like that for that very reason).

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in the forum.  I read the specifications, and it sounds as though we should post pictures of our pets, but also people have shared issues they have been having with their pet.

I adopted my little boy, a mini-poodle mix, almost 4.5 years ago.  Below is a picture of him the week I took him home.  I was told at the time of adoption that he was four, but his first vet visit revised that up to 8-10 years old.  Vets now think he could be 13 years old at the youngest, but more like older than 14.  He has spinal disease and had surgery three months ago to repair a herniated neck disc.  The neurologist said he should be able to walk again, but his recovery has been really, really slow.  

Overall this has taken a heavy toll on both of our lives.  My boy despite his weakness has a lot of spirit in him, but due to his weakness and significant social anxiety, he can rarely be left alone.  Finding care givers is hard, and taking him places is tough because most places I need to go, like the grocery store, don't allow pets even in strollers.

Does anyone here know of an online support group for owners of senior disabled pets?  It would really help to talk with people going through similar issues.  Thanks. 

IMG959631.thumb.jpeg.d7776213f79e5f55c95d5c0aaff3ceae.jpeg

• Hugs 18
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting in the forum.  I read the specifications, and it sounds as though we should post pictures of our pets, but also people have shared issues they have been having with their pet.

I adopted my little boy, a mini-poodle mix, almost 4.5 years ago.  Below is a picture of him the week I took him home.  I was told at the time of adoption that he was four, but his first vet visit revised that up to 8-10 years old.  Vets now think he could be 13 years old at the youngest, but more like older than 14.  He has spinal disease and had surgery three months ago to repair a herniated neck disc.  The neurologist said he should be able to walk again, but his recovery has been really, really slow.  

Overall this has taken a heavy toll on both of our lives.  My boy despite his weakness has a lot of spirit in him, but due to his weakness and significant social anxiety, he can rarely be left alone.  Finding care givers is hard, and taking him places is tough because most places I need to go, like the grocery store, don't allow pets even in strollers.

Does anyone here know of an online support group for owners of senior disabled pets?  It would really help to talk with people going through similar issues.  Thanks. 

I think Reddit has an elder animals sub.

22 minutes ago, Katrina Kate said:

If ever a cat knew she was royalty, that is Elizabeth. That throne!

Thank you! I hate the blanket she's lying on. It's an electric blanket I bought it for power outages because it's cordless and re-chargeable. She LOVES it. It's grey and nylon and ugly.  I would gladly buy her a lovely dark green or golden velvet blanket but after the expensive cat bed that I bought (and she refuses to use) I don't want to take the chance, lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Welcome! What a beautiful dog. I went and checked and Reddit does have an r/elderdog sub. It looked really comforting and informative. I wish I had more for you.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I have no personal experience, but I found this: Paralyzed Dog Support Group (the website has a bunch of resources; the actual support group is on Facebook).

Back in the day, there used to be a Yahoo!Group for just about everything in terms of pet owners dealing with X issue (I supplemented my veterinary journal research on feline CKD, pancreatitis, IBD, and diabetes with anecdotal evidence from owners via those groups); I'm sure those have migrated elsewhere, such as Facebook, but I don't use any of those sites so I can't point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the thread, and you have my sympathy for what you and your boy are going through.  It does indeed help to talk with others who have experienced/are experiencing the same general thing, so I hope you're able to find a good community.  And I'm glad he has someone who's sticking with him despite him being significantly older than you were told and subsequently dealing with serious problems sooner than expected; that should be a given, but it's not.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have no personal experience, but I found this: Paralyzed Dog Support Group (the website has a bunch of resources; the actual support group is on Facebook).

Back in the day, there used to be a Yahoo!Group for just about everything in terms of pet owners dealing with X issue (I supplemented my veterinary journal research on feline CKD, pancreatitis, IBD, and diabetes with anecdotal evidence from owners via those groups); I'm sure those have migrated elsewhere, such as Facebook, but I don't use any of those sites so I can't point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the thread, and you have my sympathy for what you and your boy are going through.  It does indeed help to talk with others who have experienced/are experiencing the same general thing, so I hope you're able to find a good community.  And I'm glad he has someone who's sticking with him despite him being significantly older than you were told

and subsequently dealing with serious problems sooner than expected; that should be a given, but it's not.

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Welcome! What a beautiful dog. I went and checked and Reddit does have an r/elderdog sub. It looked really comforting and informative. I wish I had more for you.

Thank you both for the recommendations!

• Like 2
  • Love 4