Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

How kind of you to foster! I am sure you will do well with it.

AND Lady Reese is banned from my room. She chewed through my ring light cord! OOOOOOOO this girl. I ordered a replacement and then am returning this one.

Torties are little maniacs. At least mine is.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Can confirm. Parker is tortie on top, calico on the bottom, but pure tortitude.

Elizabeth is not as much tortoise shell as Peaches was. On her underside she is pretty much calico but her back and head are all tortie.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

AND Lady Reese is banned from my room. She chewed through my ring light cord! OOOOOOOO this girl. I ordered a replacement and then am returning this one.

For a second I thought you ordered a replacement for the cat, but then I realized you probably meant for the cord. Right?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

So, Scully's X-rays came back and it's either asthma or an infection. They suggest further testing or exploratory treatment, going for treating an infection first with antibiotics. If that works, great. If not, we're looking at lifelong steroid inhalers.

I'm still waiting for a response from my vet what further testing would imply. I'm not a fan of antibiotics just for exploratory reasons. The vet leans more toward asthma at the moment.

1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

For a second I thought you ordered a replacement for the cat, but then I realized you probably meant for the cord. Right?

I meant for the ring light! lol. I could never replace my little Lady Reese.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I'm still waiting for a response from my vet what further testing would imply. I'm not a fan of antibiotics just for exploratory reasons. The vet leans more toward asthma at the moment.

I'm not a fan of just tossing antibiotics out like candy, either; I want to either know or be reasonably sure there's an infection first.  So I understand your wondering what "further testing" would entail in deciding whether to try antibiotics or do that testing.

I once had a co-worker with an asthmatic cat; I remember the cat having a bronchoscopy (I remember because it was one of the procedures I hadn't ever been through with a cat).  I found this from Cornell, and here's the section on diagnosis:

There is no single, specific test that can definitively diagnose feline asthma. Instead, veterinarians rely on information gathering and testing to arrive at a diagnosis. If a veterinarian suspects your cat may have asthma, he or she will take into account the cat’s health history as well as the results of imaging studies, microscopic evaluation of the cells in the cat’s airway secretions (cytology), and in some cases, blood and allergy testing.

When it comes to diagnosing feline asthma, a picture is worth a thousand words, so veterinarians employ radiographs (X-rays), computed tomography (CT), and bronchoscopy to see inside a cat’s lungs and evaluate their condition. In cats with asthma, radiographs often – but not always – reveal a characteristic bright branching pattern along the airways that is created by the accumulation of inflammatory cells (Figure 3). Air trapped in the constricted airways may also cause the lungs to become overinflated and appear larger than normal in a radiograph. CT, which uses X-rays to generate three-dimensional reconstructions of the body, may also be useful in diagnosing asthma and distinguishing this condition from other causes of airway disease in cats, but this application of CT is still somewhat experimental. 

Bronchoscopy is a technique in which a flexible camera (a bronchoscope) is passed through the mouth and down into the airways of the lungs. This technique, which requires either heavy sedation or general anesthesia, can be used to visualize the inside of the airways and to collect samples of cells that line the airways. Cats with asthma often have distinctive changes in the appearance of the lining of their airways, although some of these changes may also be seen with other respiratory diseases of cats. Analysis of cells from the airways of cats with asthma may reveal the presence of high numbers of inflammatory cells, although these cells may also be found in cats suffering from other respiratory diseases.

When diagnosing feline asthma, it’s crucial to rule out other conditions that can cause similar signs and give similar test results. Chronic bronchitis, infestation with lungworms, migration of other parasites into the lungs, as well as other infectious diseases that result in pneumonia can all result in signs and test results similar to those found in a case of feline asthma. Drugs used to treat these other conditions may not be appropriate for a cat with asthma, and may do more harm than good.

So, yikes, that's a lot; I can see why your vet would suggest giving antibiotics a try even though she/he leans more towards asthma at this point.  That Cornell article says asthma only occurs in one to five percent of cats, so I wonder if the vet sees that "characteristic bright branching pattern" to suspect asthma based on the x-rays.

I think with more information from your vet you can decide what to do next.  Here's hoping it's an infection that a course of antibiotics will knock out, and then you and Scully are both done with this for good!

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That Cornell article says asthma only occurs in one to five percent of cats, so I wonder if the vet sees that "characteristic bright branching pattern" to suspect asthma based on the x-rays.

Thank you for the article. The vet's email:

"a moderate diffuse bronchial lung pattern. This essentially suggests that the two primary causes of her signs are allergic airway disease like asthma or infection (ex. bacteria)".

She's overall fine, not as high energy as my older Fox but that was always the case. So, considering her history, her tendency to have runny eyes and some sneezing once in a while, I also tend to think asthma. And that might have been worse during the winter when I can't open the windows and the air is dry and probably more dust is flying around.

But if it's an infection, I don't want to drag it out either. 

I tend to think further testing although that depends a bit on how involved that may become. We have an excellent excellent veterinary college here, so that's where that will actually happen.  

• Love 3

Sunday, we took Jake to a Fast CAT (Coursing Ability Test) introduction session. The competition involves dogs running a 100-yard straight course, chasing a lure, typically a plastic bag tied to a line. For this introduction, dogs got to chase it for just short distance, to get a feel for how it works. Each dog got a couple of tries, with kennel club members offering advice. Jake was excited when he first saw it, but I think he had enough of the heat by the time he got to run and didn't show too much interest in it. It was a fun outing, and maybe we'll try again in cooler weather.

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_018-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_020-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_006-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_007-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_008-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_011-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_015-XL.jpg

Jake got to see his brother Lucas! I think this may be the first time they have seen each other since they were littermates.

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_024-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_001-XL.jpg

• Love 23
6 hours ago, supposebly said:

So, Scully's X-rays came back and it's either asthma or an infection. They suggest further testing or exploratory treatment, going for treating an infection first with antibiotics. If that works, great. If not, we're looking at lifelong steroid inhalers.

Dang it.  Well, I guess you'll have to take the "it could be worse" attitude. 😼

25 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Sunday, we took Jake to a Fast CAT (Coursing Ability Test) introduction session. The competition involves dogs running a 100-yard straight course, chasing a lure, typically a plastic bag tied to a line. For this introduction, dogs got to chase it for just short distance, to get a feel for how it works. Each dog got a couple of tries, with kennel club members offering advice. Jake was excited when he first saw it, but I think he had enough of the heat by the time he got to run and didn't show too much interest in it. It was a fun outing, and maybe we'll try again in cooler weather.

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_018-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_020-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_006-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_007-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_008-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_011-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_015-XL.jpg

Jake got to see his brother Lucas! I think this may be the first time they have seen each other since they were littermates.

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_024-XL.jpg

JM_2022_04_24_PKC_Fast_CAT_001-XL.jpg

Love your photos!  Beautiful!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Elizabeth is not as much tortoise shell as Peaches was. On her underside she is pretty much calico but her back and head are all tortie.

My brain read that as undercarriage, and then I was thinking she should have her oil changed.

• LOL 6

I don't have pictures of the celebrations on the computer yet (Including some video that I have no idea how to upload) but Sunday was Huck's "gotcha day" and we did our best to do it in style. Multiple visits to the dog park, stopping by my aunt and uncle's to play with their dogs, a taste testing session with dairy, chicken and bacon, getting the second half of my steak, presents and a toast. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Jalyn said:

I don't have pictures of the celebrations on the computer yet (Including some video that I have no idea how to upload) but Sunday was Huck's "gotcha day" and we did our best to do it in style. Multiple visits to the dog park, stopping by my aunt and uncle's to play with their dogs, a taste testing session with dairy, chicken and bacon, getting the second half of my steak, presents and a toast. 

That sounds like a wonderful day. Huck has good parents.

• Love 3

Someone in our building got a dog and it's been howling ALL DAMN DAY. It has a "big dog" bark and howl, so I'm really angry on behalf of the dog. A big dog doesn't belong in an 800-square-foot apartment.

I guess I'll be calling the town HQ Thursday when I'm home working again if it's still going on. Uncontrolled pets are a town noise and nuisance ordinance violation.

Yes, I am a crabby old lady.

nana GIF

I’m reading a book called Julia’s Cats. I never knew that the great chef Julia Childs was a cat lover and loved to have one in her kitchen while cooking. It’s short, sweet and has a lot of photos of cats she has owned and places that she has lived. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m reading a book called Julia’s Cats. I never knew that the great chef Julia Childs was a cat lover and loved to have one in her kitchen while cooking. It’s short, sweet and has a lot of photos of cats she has owned and places that she has lived. 

I have a book called The Tiger In The House. It's a scholarly history of "domestic" cats. They have a large section on brilliant, famous people who loved cats.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 4/26/2022 at 3:29 PM, bilgistic said:

Someone in our building got a dog and it's been howling ALL DAMN DAY. It has a "big dog" bark and howl, so I'm really angry on behalf of the dog. A big dog doesn't belong in an 800-square-foot apartment.

I guess I'll be calling the town HQ Thursday when I'm home working again if it's still going on. Uncontrolled pets are a town noise and nuisance ordinance violation.

Yes, I am a crabby old lady.

nana GIF

Not so much cranky, but realized a dog is not being properly cared for. A large dog needs exercise, a pack. I mean, at least walk them so they can wag their tail and sniff butts.

• Love 2

If the large dog is a Great Pyrenees, it really doesn’t need a lot of exercise.  They are giant couch potatoes.  I had one once that would lie out in the yard, on his side, eyes fully closed, and bark once or twice every couple of minutes.  He wasn’t sleeping, and he wasn’t barking at anything in particular.  He was just reminding everyone that he was there and on duty.

But I would say that that apartment dog is bored if nothing else.  It does need some kind of stimulation, regardless of the size.

• Love 5

It may be some one who is working on training the dog to not bark at every stimulus that shows up as well. 

Speaking as someone who is trying to train a beagle to not howl. *sigh* I work from home for my day job, the dog is not alone all that often and we are working very hard at stopping the "bark at people, bark at dogs, bark at squirrels and birds and maybe a piece of paper blowing in the wind." I keep telling him that his neighbors loved him when he was a puppy are going to stop loving him if he keeps being so noisy. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

If the large dog is a Great Pyrenees, it really doesn’t need a lot of exercise.  They are giant couch potatoes.  I had one once that would lie out in the yard, on his side, eyes fully closed, and bark once or twice every couple of minutes.  He wasn’t sleeping, and he wasn’t barking at anything in particular.  He was just reminding everyone that he was there and on duty.

But I would say that that apartment dog is bored if nothing else.  It does need some kind of stimulation, regardless of the size.

There was a house near my son's jr. high school that kept a Great Pyrenees in their front yard. The yard was fenced buy OMG did that dog love the school kids. He was always so excited when they walked by. They called him Super Happy Fun Dog.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There was a house near my son's jr. high school that kept a Great Pyrenees in their front yard. The yard was fenced buy OMG did that dog love the school kids. He was always so excited when they walked by. They called him Super Happy Fun Dog.

This reminds me of a Saint Bernard that loved to visit during recess. A big love bug but when you are four foot tall it could take you down easy.

• Love 4

Update on Scully: I will go with the exploratory antibiotic treatment. The vet prefers to do liquid antibiotics. I'm good with that too although I can handle pills with her.  

From all I read, asthma is VERY rare in cats and while she is quite special to me, I'm thinking not THAT special.

Also the tests at the vet college would amount to thousands of dollars. That seems excessive unless there is no alternative.

• Love 3

Today I said a final goodbye to my housemate of 20.5 years. As some might recall, I posted concerns a few weeks ago about arthritis in cats. It seems the cat took it upon herself to just end life by not eating - torties can be stubborn that way. I will miss her very much, but we had a good life together and my final words to her were - thank you for sharing your life with me and see you at the Rainbow Bridge.

For @peacheslatour and @Scarlett45 - here is a pic of her in younger days

798870809_IMG_0043copy.jpeg.b701f7922afb1c54f294725f971cf0b7.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Today I said a final goodbye to my housemate of 20.5 years. As some might recall, I posted concerns a few weeks ago about arthritis in cats. It seems the cat took it upon herself to just end life by not eating - torties can be stubborn that way. I will miss her very much, but we had a good life together and my final words to her were - thank you for sharing your life with me and see you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Aww, she looks just like my Peaches. I'm heartily sorry Luv2lurk.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
(edited)

@luv2lurk, my condolences. 20.5 years is a long time. She must have loved to be your housemate very much if she stuck around for such a long time. I hope you have that comfort in your grief. 

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 8

@luv2lurk I'm sorry to read about the death of your tortie.  I know you worked so hard in her final months to modify things for her comfort.  What a great long life she had with you, but it could never be long enough for us; this is just plain hard, and my condolences that you're going through it.

• Love 5

Not pets, but it's been an exciting week for birds and other wildlife. Orioles, catbirds, rose breasted grosbeaks all arrived, the goldfinches are very gold again. I haven't been able to get a clear picture of the oriole. This morning I saw an Eastern Twohee for the first time. Merlin (bird identifier app) has heard them but I've never seen one in my yard before. There was also a bird that was plumper than a gold finch and not yellow all over. Maybe a Carolina Wren, there are a lot around, but I don't usually see wrens feeding on the ground. And a fox ran through the yard. I'm afraid it might have eaten the rabbit that used to eat my tulips--this is the first year in several that they've actually made it into bloom.

• Love 14
On 5/4/2022 at 12:13 AM, luv2lurk said:

I’m so sorry for your loss. You gave her a beautiful life. What a gorgeous girl. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ABay said:

Maybe a Carolina Wren, there are a lot around, but I don't usually see wrens feeding on the ground.

I'll see them sometimes on the ground under the feeders, picking up bits the other birds (and squirrels) have dropped.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Are all cats and dogs born in May? Elizabeth just turned one year old and Nathan just turned seventeen. 🤗

I don't know, but 2 new ferrals just popped up from under my deck. Tiny little gray things. Most of last year's cats have moved on. Only 2 left of them.

• Love 5