Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Let's Get To Scooping

I thought when Connor said "I actually like you" or similar, that stung. I thought the reaction was valid. It implied "I'm a ten and you're a five on a good day but for some fucking reason I can hang around you".

Wow, I took it completely differently.  I took it as, "I never like anybody, but I do like you."  

Then again I didn't see Oliver as a 5, is that what the show is implying?

Which, personally, I think is wonderful. There's a reason why cable tends to have the most critically lauded programming. 13 episodes lend themselves better to the kind of A.D.D. television that Shonda seems to excel at. I think if this show had 22 a season, I'd worry even more about the writers' ability to sustain a cohesive narrative. At least with a shorter season, they have to keep things contained, and there's less danger of things becoming even more unwieldy.

I always want more episodes, even if the quality goes downhill.  Looking back at my favourite shows, I'd always want another season pumped out even it was the worst one.  More things to rewatch and enjoy later after all is finished.  I find no extra satisfaction in short seasons personally.   And for this particular show things are going way too fast and crammed in for my tastes.  Maybe with 22 episodes things could be explored with more patience on the part of the showrunners and understanding on the part of audience. 

However, I don't begrudge what Viola Davis wants in her career and a contract was signed fulfilling what she wanted -- good for her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Gosh, I love Viola Davis, but I am having a hard time following this show.  I agree the reveal on the words was so disappointing!  Regardless of how many interns her husband has slept with she loses my sympathy because she is also sleeping with someone...who is married. She also chose to stay with him when she obviously has the means and abilities to be on her own.  Shonda Rimes likes writing these "strong" female characters that are weak and involved with dysfunctional men.

Seriously, on this show or any of her shows does anyone have a stable relationship?  If written right, a stable relationship does not have to be boring. 

Although I fast forward a lot, I agree with the poster that stated that the one character seems to be smart enough to gather information without having to sleep with someone for it.  

I want to like this show so much, but the interns bore me and Viola seems out of place. I am also not thrilled with the fast forwarding and knowing that the husband is going to be killed.  I like T. Verica and was glad he was going to be on TV again after American Dreams.  Moving forward I also think the Viola Davis character will be more interesting with a husband.

• Love 1

Regardless of how many interns her husband has slept with she loses my sympathy because she is also sleeping with someone...who is married. She also chose to stay with him when she obviously has the means and abilities to be on her own.  Shonda Rimes likes writing these "strong" female characters that are weak and involved with dysfunctional men.

I don't know that we are necessarily supposed to see Annalise as sympathetic in this situation. After all, they did reveal her affair with the cop well before we knew about Sam's. The show definitely portrays Annalise as someone who is morally grey when it comes to her work and isn't above manipulation to get a client off whether they be guilty or not. I don't think the writers mean for us to root for her over the husband because of his affair alone. In fact, they had her outright say the words to Michaela that one should be careful about who they marry because they will have themselves to blame for how it turns out. I think she was talking about her own marriage when she said that. I believe she knows exactly what kind of man she married and he knows what kind of woman she is as well.

If I were going to compare Annalise and Sam's marriage to anyone else's on one of Shonda's shows it's looking like their marriage is likely going to be similar to Fitz and Mellie's. Those two are terrible for each other, treat each other like shit, cheat on each other, use each other. But they won't divorce it would seem for appearance's sake. But they were both clearly unhappy even prior to the Presidency so what gives? If next week's promo is any indication I think as the season goes on we will get more insight on Annalise and Sam's marriage and it will be presented as just as toxic.

Edited by Turkish

At times Annalise seems in love with her husband. That's where her desire to have a continuing relationship with the boyfriend strikes me as a bit odd. All I can figure is that maybe she's like Princess Diana and simply wants to get back at her husband despite being in love with him.

This show is like expensive chocolate-it might not be healthy, but what it lacks in nutrition it more than makes up for in flavor. The MVP of this show and this episode is Viola Davis. She owned every scene she was in, especially the last 5 minutes. She said more by just removing her hair and makeup than other actors can with whole pages of dialogue. In that moment, Annalise wasn't just vulnerable, she was almost frail-that is, until those "last 9 words." Viola gave them a gravitas that no one else on the show could. Elizabeth Perkins was great. As Merrin Trudeau, the Client Of the Week, Perkins was perfect. Merrin's a ballbuster in every sense of the word, as her sex tape proved. Merrin knows Annalise and vice versa. They're not only lawyer and client, they're friends, which since I like Madeline, is cool. Merrin can be tough one moment, like when she burned her arrest warrant and tender the next, as shown by her remorse for her anger at Pax, her gay former assistant for getting involved in the scheme of two of her other employees to steal her company, driving Pax to commit suicide.

As for Pax's motivation, I believe it was a mixture of greed, jealousy and bitterness. Merrin may have loved Pax "like a son," but he wasn't her son; he was her employee. Merrin may have trusted Pax with some of her deepest and darkest secrets, which probably lead Pax to believe that he would become much more successful than he was and when that didn't happen, that was the last straw, so he decided to betray Merrin because he was tired of her taking him for granted. I don't blame Merrin for Pax's killing himself, but her treatment of him didn't help. Nor did Connor's, for that matter. The only potential bright side of Pax's death is that Connor may start to realize that for some people, "casual sex" is an oxymoron and rightfully so. Pax was just another hot bod to Connor, until Pax killed himself in front of him. Pax's death forced Connor to learn the hard way that the main problem with using sex as a weapon regardless of sexuality is that some weapons backfire and using Pax did, in the worst possible way. Connor's involvement in the cover-up in general and seeing Sam's corpse in particular may have reminded him of what happened with Pax and it finally hit home, hence  his breakdown at Oliver's door. As for Oliver's reaction after hearing Connor's tape of  Pax's phone call to his co-conspirators, IMO it wasn't about their relationship status.  It was about Connor's seemingly blase' attitude about getting him involved in something that wasn't only illegal, someone died because of it. Someone who was probably just like Oliver in some ways. For all Connor knows, Oliver was probably disowned by his family just like Pax, but Connor's been too busy using Oliver in and out of bed to care, which would require real intimacy, which Connor knows nothing about, so Oliver was right to throw him out. Just because Oliver knew that he and Connor weren't exclusive, that doesn't give Connor the right to treat him like shit.

Re Rebecca and Wes, Wes may have disappointed Annalise in some ways at the beginning of the episode, but he more than made up for it by the end by finding That Photo and telling Annalise about it. That picture proves that not only is Annalise's marriage to Same in more trouble than she thought, it gives Sam motive for killing Lila Stanfield. If Sam had an affair with Lila and she threatened to tell Annalise herself if Sam didn't leave her, that could've made Sam mad enough to kill Lila. About Rebecca, if a man just helped bail me out of jail for a murder rap when he so didn't have to, I'd lose the 'tude. BTW, Becky, just because you're used to men being assholes, that doesn't mean they all are. Then there's Bonnie. The more I see her and Sam together, the more suspicious I get. I'm even starting to believe that Bonnie knows way more than she's telling about several things, whether it's about Sam, Sam and Lila, her own relationship with Sam or Sam and Lila's deaths. Bonnie may not be Sam's lover or accomplice, but given the way she spied on Sam and Nate when Nate messed with Sam's car and snitched on Nate's to his boss soon afterwards, I think Bonnie's definitely a stalker. Either way, something's definitely not kosher about Bonnie and/or Sam.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
Seriously, on this show or any of her shows does anyone have a stable relationship?  If written right, a stable relationship does not have to be boring.

Dysfunction is easier to write, and dysfunction is what most people tune in for, hate to say it but it's true.

I don't really think we, the audience are supposed to root for anybody, in fact, I usually don't care if there's anybody to root for in a TV show; what I root for is the story.  

• Love 2

Ha, I have a lot to say about the choice of Oliver as the legit love interest of Connor. He's not supposed to be in the same league as Connor and this is intentional because from the get-go we're not supposed to believe that Connor has any interest in him besides getting evidence he can use to impress Annalise. In the PIlot, he's presented as this throwaway guest character (basically what Pax turned out to be) and I don't think anyone expected him to come back. And pretty much all their interactions since could easily be reframed as Connor just using him.

I think in their last scene, it's really himself that Oliver is mad at. He's known from the beginning that Connor is a user and that conventional wisdom says that it's improbable that an attractive, young white dude would seriously be into an older Asian nerd, but he let his guard down and got his hopes up. And then he hears the tape and he realizes he's just another Pax and that this fantasy he's been living in his head has been a lie.

• Love 1

I don't think I said we had to "root" for anybody. I said that stable relationships are not boring in the hands of the right writer and dysfunctional ones are interesting in the hands of the right writer without being repetitive.

I am trying to hang in there, but on most shows there is someone that you identify with, either to despise them, aspire to be like them, admire their courage, etc.  On this show I personally don't identify with any character and pretty much find them all boring or weak and the flash forwarding annoying.  I'm in it for Viola Davis and so far it is just meh. 

Obviously others are finding it enthralling, so to each their own.

Is anyone a fan of The Secret History by Donna Tartt? It's a wonderful novel and the echoes to it in the premise are a significant reason why I'm still watching. Asher's exclusion from the main crime felt like a potential allusion to the story.

If the core four didn't kill Sam - or at least believe that they did - I'm going to throw my remote at the television. In addition to the doubtfulness of Connor and Michaela being willing to put themselves in a compromising position on account of anybody else (even Annelise), their histrionics the past two episodes have suggested to me that they must feel responsibility for the murder rather than just its cover-up. 

At this point, I'm going to conjecture that Wes clues the other students into the contents of the phone at some point and, sensing an opportunity to crime solve, they try to entrap Sam. This would help explain Rebecca's involvement to some extent. Perhaps Bonnie is in on the strategy as it would a) afford her an opportunity for revenge provided she and Sam had a past affair and b) the kids would want to increase chances for a win in court but, obviously, the success of their scheme would ruin their boss personally as well as possibly professionally; they'd thus need guidance from a source other than Annelise. Odds on Connor being attacked and Michaela reflexively using the trophy to strike Sam in defense.

Viola's performance with Billy Brown last week reminded me of Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. This week's finale seemed like a reference/homage to Dangerous Liaisons. I'm not sure if it's the direction or her own decisions, but her acting, while riveting, is a beat off for me. Is she upset because her husband was unfaithful, because he might have killed the mistress, or both? I'd prefer insight into when and how the infidelity in their marriage began; it would clarify some of the dynamics at play, I think.

• Love 3
I think in their last scene, it's really himself that Oliver is mad at. He's known from the beginning that Connor is a user and that conventional wisdom says that it's improbable that an attractive, young white dude would seriously be into an older Asian nerd, but he let his guard down and got his hopes up.

I vehemently disagree.  There are many places where interracial relationships are incredibly common, and I think you're making some false assumptions about how they work, assumptions that I find personally offensive.  You also seem to be placing different races in categories of better or worse, grouping young/white/attractive into a 'good' category and older/Asian/nerd into a lesser one.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

How much older is Oliver supposed to be? He doesn't look that old to me. When they were both shirtless, they both looked buff and had abs, so that's where Connor's assumption that he's waaaaay hotter is a bit weird to me. Oliver's problem seems to be shyness or lack of confidence, which can be  a hindrance when you're trying to attract someone, but   I  wouldn't think in the real world he'd be considered  below Connor looks-wise- they both certainly look like they spend a lot of time at the gym!

• Love 2

I don't think we have to think too deep about it, but the way everything about their relationship was presented it was clear that the audience was supposed to think Connor was more attractive.  Even in the pilot Connor was about to go after another guy which Oliver saw so he latched on to Connor.  And every interaction is literally written that Connor has the power and he is giving Oliver sex with himself as a reward.  I gave the Oliver character props in the last episode that he finally had enough and wasn't going to let Connor keep treating him like shit. As another poster said the I "actually" like you I think was meant to mean that Connor couldn't believe he liked someone not stereotypically on his "level".

• Love 1

I vehemently disagree.  There are many places where interracial relationships are incredibly common, and I think you're making some false assumptions about how they work, assumptions that I find personally offensive.  You also seem to be placing different races in categories of better or worse, grouping young/white/attractive into a 'good' category and older/Asian/nerd into a lesser one.

You know, this is a bit off-topic, but let me just defend myself. What I meant by "conventional wisdom", I was trying to find a word to express the fact that there are racial/ageist/nerdist biases out there in terms of what people (ie. mainstream network TV audiences) generally consider attractive, not that these are my own biases.

I'm an nerdy Asian guy in a interracial relationship myself, so I have an idea of what it's like and how it works (and why I identify with Oliver so much). I hope you won't be personally offended when I tell you that I've experienced racism in the dating world; that I've seen firsthand how Asians and Asian men in particular are generally not considered as attractive as their white counterparts and that this is something I think the writers had in mind (consciously or not) when they cast Oliver -- they wanted someone that the audience wouldn't believe Connor had a genuine interest in.

Regarding the age difference, it's not a big one, but it's something they highlighted when Connor made the, "You're too old to be a twink" remark, which made me think that Oliver was in his early thirties (I think the cut-off for twink-dom is late twenties). There's also an early draft of the pilot script floating around that puts Connor and Oliver's respective ages at 25 and 30.

• Love 4

Well I'm one enthralled with the show.  It entertains me.  Viola is fantastic.

I don't watch anything on ABC except Castle and Blackish on on demand so I didn't see one ad. And even though I suspected Sam was a ho, I still was shocked by the final scene that involved removing the makeup/hair and then the penis comment.  Absolutely loved it.

Let me say that Pax was so very pretty.

As for the students:

I like Connor and thought there was some character development this week.  Will he continue to sex up folks to get info? We'll see. I absolutely love Oliver and hope he is here to stay.  I think they made him very nerdy in the first episode but honestly he didn't look that way to me in the last episode.  He's very cute.

I like Asher - he's funny.  He hasn't been that developed as of yet but hey it's early yet.

Wes/Waitlist - like him.  Not sure all of his motivations yet but that's ok. I get a giggle just watching him walk.

Michaela - eh not sure about her yet.  For now I don't care much for her. I did laugh when she answered a question in class and looked around like she was waiting for everyone to applaud. So you got something right.  Get over yourself.

Wallflower - can't even remember her name.  Not sure why she likes Frank.  She's still a non entity to me so far.

Frank - so far I got nothing

Bonnie - She's growing on me.

Rebecca. I liked her from episode one. She does seem to be soap type but hope they will make her a bit more complex. I felt Wes liked her from the first episode but now feel like he may be using her at this point.

All in all, I'm glad I tuned in because it was a very last minute decision. 

favorite line from the night.  Everyone hates their boss!

• Love 1

I've come to the conclusion that all I really need to enjoy this show is Viola Davis being a BAMF and Connor sexing it up. So this might be my favourite episode yet. I do like that both elements that I like are portrayed in such an unapologetic manner. 

• Love 5

I don't get why Laurel is so keen to please Frank, especially with that hottie Khan interested in her.

YMMV, but I haven't really seen her too eager to please Frank just yet. I think everyone's just waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one ever since we saw him calling her while they were hiding in the woods during the pilot, so we're seeing things that aren't quite there yet, if that makes any sense.

Viola Davis is good as usual. But I wish her character is as good. If she is such a good defense attorney, why does she always put the burden on her first year law school students to win the case. "Prove to me your worth" bullshit. Is she paying them thousands of dollars? I just don't get the incentive for these students doing reckless (and illegal) things for a trophy that will get them out of one test. They spend all their time running around for her instead of going to their other classes or studying for exams. When do they have time to learn the substance of the law when all she's doing is teaching them how to get away with murder. If this was my law school prof, I would have dropped her class or filed an ethics violation complaint against her.

• Love 2
I do think Oliver is supposed to be a 5.  In the first episode, he was stammering and stuttering .  Didn't he indicate surprise that someone like Connor would be interested in him?  Connor was clearly using him, but it was written that Oliver didn't care, he was just happy someone like Connor would be into him.  I remember being irritated that there was one Asian character in the whole episode, and they made him out to be this stereotypical socially awkward nerd.

And I agree that I was surprised to see he's still around.  He knew he was being used, and yet he's still here.

Regarding Keating's use of 1Ls, was there any indication that this is NOT her first year teaching?  There was one time when she was talking with the dean and he said something about hiring her to something blahblahblah.  I thought that could be interpreted to mean that this is her first year teaching at Middleton.  Then again, Frank and Bonnie act differently, like they are used to dealing with law students.  Perhaps she taught somewhere else before, or perhaps she had a group that just graduated after working with her for three years, so she needs a new group.

What I'm curious about is how many years we will see these students as 1Ls.  The flash forward scenes are only 4 months in the future, so it seems the entire season could be just one semester.  That would imply each season is a semester, so we could conceivably get 6 seasons of this show before they address what happens when the students graduate.

• Love 1
I think everyone's just waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one ever since we saw him calling her while they were hiding in the woods during the pilot, so we're seeing things that aren't quite there yet, if that makes any sense.

Well Frank was very clearly put out by Laurel's potential boyfriend coming to the office so I do think the show are trying to throw in the signs. Personally I don't get it. I don't get Frank's sudden infatuation with her. The only reason I can think is that she's the least annoying to him between her and Michaela. I get the feeling the actors are trying to sell the chemistry and we're going to have to swallow these two as a twu wuv pairing but so far I'm not buying it.

This show is really starting to remind me of Pretty Little Liars.

Regarding Keating's use of 1Ls, was there any indication that this is NOT her first year teaching?  There was one time when she was talking with the dean and he said something about hiring her to something blahblahblah.  I thought that could be interpreted to mean that this is her first year teaching at Middleton.  Then again, Frank and Bonnie act differently, like they are used to dealing with law students.  Perhaps she taught somewhere else before, or perhaps she had a group that just graduated after working with her for three years, so she needs a new group.

I feel like it's been implied that Annalise has been teaching at Middleton for awhile. In the pilot, she already seemed to have a reputation as a hard-ass among the students, and the dean mentioned something about her and her husband doing a lot for the university. Though it's totally possible this could be her first year and I'm just remembering wrong.

Well Frank was very clearly put out by Laurel's potential boyfriend coming to the office so I do think the show are trying to throw in the signs. Personally I don't get it. I don't get Frank's sudden infatuation with her. The only reason I can think is that she's the least annoying to him between her and Michaela. I get the feeling the actors are trying to sell the chemistry and we're going to have to swallow these two as a twu wuv pairing but so far I'm not buying it.

I definitely see some sort of interest in Laurel on Frank's part, but I don't see anything mutual between them just yet. To me, Frank is nothing more than a predator who's looking to add Laurel as another notch on his belt. In the pilot, Bonnie told him to stop screwing the students after seeing him talk to Laurel. This is clearly a pattern for him, and while they'll both (most likely, hopefully) be consenting adults if/when it happens, he's still in a position of authority over Laurel and it will still be skeevy as hell. It'll take a lot for the show to ever prove to me that they're twu wuvs 5eva.

For the Connor/Oliver/Pax thing, I think it is less about Connor being super hot, and more about him being super good in bed. Didn't both Oliver and Pax imply he has done things to them that they have never experienced before?

I also think there is an implication that Connor sees something in Oliver that he likes. Yes, he uses them, but he seems to actually enjoy his company and spending time with him, and this isn't just him using Oliver.

I agree that Wes is turning more into a mystery. I am curious about his motivation. I think there is more to him then just a wide eyed scared giraffe boy. 

I just don't like the way Frank is played when he's looking stranger at Laurel at a party. I get that he probably likes sleeping with the students which makes him a weirdo, but watching him go a little wacky just because she's conversing with another guy makes him seem even  weirder than he needs to be.

It took me a while to realize that Rebecca was the girl from The Carrie Diaries. Make-up really does alter her face.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 1

What I'm curious about is how many years we will see these students as 1Ls.  The flash forward scenes are only 4 months in the future, so it seems the entire season could be just one semester.  That would imply each season is a semester, so we could conceivably get 6 seasons of this show before they address what happens when the students graduate.

I am hopelessly addicted to this show!

I keep wondering how this show can exceed one season though?  Would the cast change?  I know the viewers don't know the whole story of the murder yet, but they are involved.  I mean, they are covering up someone's death.  

I'm curious to hear other's persectives on this.

Also, I am officially on the Frank/Laurel train even though Khan is hot.  I think Frank is a ladies man and is used to getting his way.  So far, Laurel hasn't given in to him which makes him want her more.  At least, that is how I perceive the scenes they have shown.  I'm itching to know how he winds up calling her that night.

Laurel and Wes seem the most harmless out of the group so i can't wait to hear more about her story.  

As for how this show is gonna get the Scooby Gang out of the murder mess, I wonder if they'll pull a trick I've seen used on a couple of SVU episodes where the evidence is too messy to convict any of them with certainty. There was one episode where the murderer was one of a pair of identical twins, but the police had no way of knowing which one since the DNA at the crime scene would have been a perfect match to both of them and no witness would be able to figure out which one it was. Plus, neither of them would roll over on the other one. Obviously, this wouldn't work here because no one involved is an identical twin, but there was another SVU episode where ballistics couldn't tell whether a woman or her son had shot and killed their abusive husband/stepfather. Both the woman and her son confessed to doing it to protect the other, and they both ended up walking. I could see the show somehow using a device like this, especially since everyone seems to be taking responsibility for their role in however Sam ended up dead. They're obviously all accessories after the fact, but they might be able to get out of an actual murder charge. Idk if the stuff that I mentioned from SVU has any legal standing, but this show has already proved it doesn't care much about proper legal procedure so I don't think that matters.

• Love 1

Is anyone a fan of The Secret History by Donna Tartt? It's a wonderful novel and the echoes to it in the premise are a significant reason why I'm still watching. Asher's exclusion from the main crime felt like a potential allusion to the story.

I thought of that book after the pilot, although I didn't remember the name at the time.   I hadn't thought about Asher's exclusion, but you're right that is another parallel between the two.  I had originally been thinking that Asher must just get fired somehow between the present and the night of the murder.

Relationship Rule #1:  Connor - if Lila can lock her phone- wtf is wrong with you? 

To be fair, Oliver is Super-Hacker!  And Connor can't delete the recording because it might be needed for the insider trading trial.

Her confession makes her sound guilty. (And sorry, the two sentences that were in the video don't smack of coercion.)

There's one point where she starts looking up at something or someone behind her.  After that, before she speaks, she looks to the same spot.  It doesn't scream coercion, but something was definitely fishy.

But I totally dislike her character.

I think was meant to mean that Connor couldn't believe he liked someone not stereotypically on his "level".

I took it to mean that he was surprised to find that he actually liked someone.  Connor sees his partners as objects and to find out that Oliver is more than that shocked him a bit.

• Love 2

Some people think Asians are hot...

Now the young law student  stud versus the computer nerd is more an unlikely pair  trope without getting into racial biases.

If Connor was Asian and Oliver White, all things being equal, the SL would work just as well IMO.

Connor is obviously not someone who has been vested in relationships as opposed to hookups and uses sex as a weapon so potentially the Oliver ties could be interesting.

Edited by caracas1914

I keep wondering how this show can exceed one season though?  Would the cast change?  I know the viewers don't know the whole story of the murder yet, but they are involved.  I mean, they are covering up someone's death.  

I think it would be awesome if they all go to jail for it and the next season is just Viola and the rest of the cast is new.

• Love 2

If we had a few less law students, could get rid of the murder of the professor (case of the week is enough), and tone down the extramarital stuff (as we yell at each other for having affairs), I could like this show.   Currently there is not one character that I like (and I like several of the actors that play them).  I have been DVr'ing this show and somehow forgot to tape Episode 5.... so now I have an excuse to stop watching. Thank you, thank you, powers that be. 

I really enjoyed this episode. I even thought it was the best of the bunch and the fact that it was Connor focused certainly wasn't a bad thing either.

I don't blame Oliver dumping Connor though but I do like that after the cover up, it was Oliver that Connor reached out to as well. Nice to see the actual death had some effect on Connor, creepy Christmas song singing aside.

The scenes with Connor and Pax were actually pretty hot. It's a shame that Pax ended up dying in the episode.

Really liked the case of the week as well. Surprisingly an interesting one.

Frank and Bonnie's nickanames for the students was both patronising but also kind of amusing as well.

Wes is blinded by wanting to save Rebecca but at least Annalise seems kind of aware of that.

Don't really think Michaela, Asher or Laurel did anything interesting other than interviewing potential suspects this week.

The last nine words scene with Annalise and Sam was great, 8/10