Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Let's Get To Scooping

A brokerage firm's founder and CEO is arrested for insider trading, but the students' investigation of the case reveals a major surprise. Meanwhile, Wes finds a cell phone hidden by Rebecca that contains disturbing information about the Lila Stangard murder case.
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode. Lots of good stuff happened and this is the first case of week that I have found interesting. Sam did sleep with the dead girl. Next week looks like it will be even better.

This was the first episode that I thought that Viola completely looked great. She looked even better without the wig. It was a strong moment having her remove all the make up.

I really felt for Pax. What Joan said to him was terrible, but I kinda felt for her too. I liked that she challenged Annalise. We will see if this makes Annalise go easy on her students.

Ha. Nate got caught searching Sam's car. Boy, is he in trouble.

Ah, Connor. He did not want to sleep with that guy and it cost him Oliver who he wanted to be with all along. Of course, he went to Oliver after covering up the murder.

I really like Frank. He has grown on me. I liked how he rushed to save the guy. Laurel should stay away from him though.

I also liked Rebecca. Wes is totally into her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I love this show...  That's it.  @Abcmusiclounge on Twitter tells you all the songs the show uses.

People on this show are so hot.  Connor.   Connor.  And Annalise's boyfriend.  And... Annalise's boyfriend :)  Haha.  In a hoodie.  Oh my...

I also liked Rebecca.

She has really cute lips but besides that I don't get it.  This actor gets soooo many juicy roles!  The Killing, The Carrie Diaries, now this?  She really has the dream career.  And I seriously don't get why!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

"Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?". After all the hype that those 9 words would set my jaw on the floor, I am underwhelmed.

Same. I already suspected Sam was sexually involved with Lila in some way.

• Love 1

Roger, so, so, bad.

Pretty graphic sex scenes, yippee!! More hot gay guys getting it on, I'm not going anywhere.

MrsRB, I think the Conner breakdown is in the future, hence the reason he smelled of smoke.

Edited by MizStaken
  • Love 4

Charmaine! Haven't seen you since A Different World. 

That is why she looked so familiar! I kept trying to place the actress' face, but could not.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Yeah, let's stop pretending that nobody called Sam and Lila having an affair after the first episode, ABC.

That being said, I loved the end scene with Annalise removing her wig and makeup. That was super powerful. She ain't fucking around, y'all! But please God don't tell me Sam rapes her next week. I am so, so, so beyond done with shows using rape as a plot device.

I actually gasped when Paxton started opening the window and then fell out of it. I really wasn't expecting that at all. I liked the COTW, it was different. The blonde girl that got arrested was the mermaid in Aquamarine! My childhood! She's been in other stuff too but that's what I remember most about her.

I'm really starting to like Connor. He got a lot to do this episode, in both timelines, and I just think his character's really interesting. Oliver is his safe zone, but he has commitment issues. He uses sex as a weapon but is clearly terrified of emotional intimacy. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with him.

Bonnie's gonna fuck shit up with Annalise, Sam, and Nate in a major way, I can feel it.

So, does Wes really like Rebecca or no? The scene towards the end where he gives the phone to Annalise made it seem like he was just manipulating Rebecca so that he could get back into good graces with his professor/boss. He's a mystery and I like it.

• Love 5

Pretty graphic sex scenes, yippee!! More hot gay guys getting it on, I'm not going anywhere.

Do gay men have hot, casual sex all of the time? And they can't have a conservation without it leading to sex--or the promise of sex? Because all gay men are attracted to one another, right? That's what this show wants me to believe.

This was the first episode that I thought that Viola completely looked great. She looked even better without the wig. It was a strong moment having her remove all the make up.

Word. I thought Viola looked vulnerable and still very beautiful without the wig, the false eyelashes, or the make up.

• Love 14

Word. I thought Viola looked vulnerable and still very beautiful without the wig, the false eyelashes, or the make up.

Ditto.  I have no complaints about the character's look this week.  I enjoyed the case of the week too.  I like Oliver and I was rooting for the relationship.

Do gay men have hot, casual sex all of the time? And they can't have a conservation without it leading to sex--or the promise of sex? Because all gay men are attracted to one another, right? That's what this show wants me to believe.

I want to know why Annalise can't have hot sex with Sam every other episode.  She is the lead dammit!:-)

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 2
Charmaine! Haven't seen you since A Different World.

She married Jazz on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :)

The blonde girl that got arrested was the mermaid in Aquamarine!

I was wondering if I actually know her from something, or just think she looks like Rachel Blanchard.

Pretty much.

Does Wes look like another actor we're used to?  Trying to figure out.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I LOVED that.

And I loved this episode. It finally felt like both of the main murder stories moved. I enjoyed seeing Connor get more to do. And we finally know where Asher was for at least part of bonfire night.

• Love 4

For a minute, I thought Annalise was going to put the moves on Wes!

When networks hype the last five minutes or ten seconds of a show, it's just setting massive expectations they can rarely meet.

• Love 6

When networks hype the last five minutes or ten seconds of a show, it's just setting massive expectations they can rarely meet.

Amen to both of those.

Annalise invades Wes's personal space way too much. It's kinda creepy, almost with a sexual harassment vibe.

And I generally try to avoid network hype for the very reason you mentioned, Dejana. The one time a show did live up to the hype? The Grey's Anatomy episode that aired after the Super Bowl, when ABC repeatedly showed Isaiah Washington's character saying, "Call.A.Code.Black."

• Love 2

I enjoyed seeing Connor get more to do. 

Four episodes and I now like Connor as much as I like Wes. I think the actor who plays Connor is one of the stronger ones in the younger cast. I loved how he played Connor's maniac freak out when they were hacking Sam's corpse. Connor's hysterics punctuated by the crazy laughing was well done as was his horror and guilt about Pax's suicide. Also, in those short moments, he has done a nice job subtly telegraphing Connor's conflict about his growing feelings for Oliver vs. his player lifestyle. 

• Love 5

I haven't been keeping close track, but it seems like Connor's sexytimes and the hacking it has enabled has basically provided Annalise with basically every big break that she has gotten in her cases. Meanwhile, it seems like Laurel and Michaela have done pretty much nothing.

I know we the audience know that the detective was looking for evidence connecting Sam to Lila's murder, but how does Beth know that? All she saw was that the detective was rummaging around in the car and got out before Sam could realize what he was doing. Knowing that Annalise and the detective were having an affair, there are more probable explanations for what he was doing in the car than he was looking for evidence connecting Sam to the murder. Heck, if I remember correctly, the detective lied to Annalise about whether Sam's alibi checks out, so presumably even she doesn't think he is looking for an alternative suspect.

The CotW was only salvaged by the client being Elizabeth Perkins. Cause framing her character doesn't make much sense. It seems like it would be much smarter to use the insider info in a way that you wouldn't get busted for it and become rich.

Does Wes look like another actor we're used to?  Trying to figure out.

He reminds me of Abed Nadir of Community.  Not the actor, Danny Pudi, but the character.  It's the way he turns his head.  

Poor Nate- get away from Annalise!  You're going to get fired.  

The CotW was only salvaged by the client being Elizabeth Perkins. Cause framing her character doesn't make much sense. It seems like it would be much smarter to use the insider info in a way that you wouldn't get busted for it and become rich.

Yeah, I did not understand what they would have gained by EP's character going to jail.  The other clients would have left the firm so its not like they could just take over the business.

Alfred's mannerism (IMO) are similar to Michael Jackson's mannerisms in the Beat It/Thriller videos.

Edited by ToukieSmith
Though seeing him breakdown after that guy killed himself, dude has a soul

This was one of the 'murder' scenes, not after the suicide.

I don't see that the poster said they have sex all the time, just that they like watching them when they happen. Connor uses sex to get info, that's how he met Oliver who he does seem to care about, and why he had sex with the suicide guy. It's a tool he uses, nothing to do with attraction (except for Oliver apparently), I think the show wants me to believe that this is what Connor uses to get what he wants.

Does Wes look like another actor we're used to?  Trying to figure out.

Wes is Dean Thomas from Harry Potter.

I've thought that several times now, I hope it doesn't go there.

Relationship Rule #1:  Connor - if Lila can lock her phone- wtf is wrong with you?

My first thought was: Wouldn't you think these people would know to delete any incriminating phone conversations?

I too was a bit underwhelmed by "Viola Davis' last nine words". I'm trying to figure out how Wes knew it was so important. The picture appeared to be a naked man from the neck down. The way Annalise talked ("why didn't you come to me earlier, did you think it would make me upset" or something like that, it makes it sound like Wes knew it was Sam. How would he know it was Sam? There was no head in the picture. Has he seen Sam naked before? Wouldn't the logical assumption be that it was the football player? If the explanation is that there are other photos, we'll surely they could have shown her scrolling through them.

That was Elizabeth Perkins? From "Big"? Granted it's been years, but I didn't recognise her at all. She was blonder and bigger. I thought Marren resembled Kathleen Turner.

I am loving Frank's nicknames. Hair Gel, Doucheface, Prom Queen and Wallflower. I wonder what they call Wes. I like Michaela's nickname of Butt Boy.

• Love 1

Since I watched "Murder" without seeing all the million promos in Scandal (and presumably Grey's) first, I didn't have the heightened expectations, so I did find the final line was like "Damn!"

At least some of the other 1Ls have been calling Wes "Waitlist." 

I don't think that Wes knew that it was Frank. In fact, it's unclear that he had even looked at the contents of the phone in any detail except to know that it's Lila's phone. Rebecca having Lila's phone and keeping it in a hidden place sure makes her sound guilty.

Her confession makes her sound guilty. (And sorry, the two sentences that were in the video don't smack of coercion.)

Of course, she's not guilty.

\

In terms of Wes, someone in a previous thread said he looks exactly like C. Thomas Howell's character in the 80s movie "Soul Man," wherein a white guy poses as a black guy so that he can get a scholarship to Harvard Law. That person's not wrong:

• Love 2

It would've been funnier (i.e. more lame) if the final nine words were "I did my job, now let me do mine" that Annalise said to Wes in the second-to-last scene.

Edited by TD3000

I'm enjoying this show. Connor is probably my favorite but I really wish they made his character bisexual. And if not, maybe include a male character like Connor that is bisexual in the future please.

What is weird is that right before this came on my daughter was watching her on Disney Channel movie 'Halloweentown 2" where she was a brunette.

"Return To Halloweentown" is Halloweentown 4 actually. The original 3 movies were played by a different actress. :)

• Love 3

Can someone explain the Laurel and Frank dynamic to me? What's up with all the angst? He comes off as creepy/predatory to me, but apparently Laurel suddenyl has feelings for him? So weird.

Loved the final scene of Annalisse removing her wig and makeup. She looks so much more beautiful with her natural hair. 

Still annoyed with the Wes/Rebecca subplot. I'm really hoping that Wes has a dark side and that he has been playing Rebecca.

• Love 1

There was something both deliciously campy and refreshingly stark about those final nine words. I kinda liked it, both for the hilarity of ending the episode on a "penis" and also because it was so blunt. They cut to the chase instead of ending with some vague, overused soapy line like "I know your secret!" 

• Love 5

Charmaine! Haven't seen you since A Different World. That's really all I have.

I would know that voice anywhere. I had my wireless headphones on, since it was 1am, and was getting something from the kitchen when I heard her.

Why cant Conner try something other than sex to get information? It's like he doesnt have any other skills at all. He uses the same trick in every single episode. It's really getting old and cheapens the character. Sex scenes are hot though.

Michaela gets on my nerve. She's so over the top at times.

Laurel grows on me. I hope she wont sleep with Frank in the future.

I still dont get what Wes sees in Rebecca. I am not invested in their future relationship and hope it wont take up too much screentime.

It's the second or third time I pick up weird sexual tension between Annalise and Wes when they are alone together. I hope they wont go there. I like their current relationshop.

Viola totally killed it in the final scene.

• Love 3

I don't know what it is but for some reason I honestly don't like Connor & Oliver.   I think it's the Oliver actor, I just can't put my finger on why.

I am a part of one that actually like Michaela.   Over-achiever and ambitious enough to cross some lines when she has a specific goal in mind, like weasling confidential information out of a medical professional (the pilot) or trying to steal Laurel's notes for their Torts test.    And I had to laugh that Annalise's work threatening her GPA is enough to make Michaela get over any hero worship she had.   "I do hate her".     I notice Michaela and Connor are the one's most disturbed and unhinged at present and since Sam's demise was clearly violent (the bloody trophy),  I'm thinking maybe the violence played out (in terms of hands on) between Michaela, Connor and Sam.   Though that doesn't tell us why Wes and Lauren would help and why Rebecca is there. 

Bonnie is the sleeper in the group.   IA with the poster up thread that said she is going to do a lot of damage at some point.   There is a LOT of resentment simmering beneath that cool veneer.

I also think Ashur is here for a reason I'm just not sure what it is.   He's clearly connected but he's neither subtle or ESPECIALLY clever, at least not that we've seen but Annalise must see something in him.    It made me giggle when he caught Michaela trying to steal Laurel's notes.

I liked the relationship shown between Annalise and her client of many years.   She works overtime to get to know people but makes sure they don't know her.    It's clear that personal relationship failures are something she blames herself for on some level and not so much for whatever ill things come it but that she let's herself open up.  Or at least that's the impression I'm getting.   

Very good work by Viola this episode.

• Love 2

I loved that scene.  I loved seeing her without that stupid wig, however, she should have been wearing a wig cap, as they make the wig go easier on your head and they keep your real hair from getting messed up.

Here's my thing.  In the past and even now, many shows probably wouldn't want to show two men having hot, passionate sex, just because they're two men.  Many shows have no problem with two women having sex because straight men like watching two women together, but two men together makes some straight men, some straight people uncomfortable.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

I said I was done with this show last week and yet, here I am.  I have to give kudos to Viola for that final scene.  At first, I didn't know if she was having some kind of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" mental break or what, but it was one of those moments where you can't take your eyes off the screen.  And she looked fabulous.  Definitely interested in what happens between Annalise and the husband next week since the previews looked intense, to say the least.

And I know it's practically beating a dead horse at this point, but my god, the bad acting from the supporting/guest cast.  When Connor was having his flash-forward breakdown outside the ex-boyfriend's apartment?  I wanted to pull the covers over my head to hide from the second-hand embarrassment I felt for him.  It was so over the top and terrible.  And the guy playing the assistant?  He was so awful that I was kinda relieved when he went out the window.  Someone needs to offer these poor kids acting classes between scenes.

Also, who was the guy with Laurel?  I spent the entire episode thinking he was her fiance, who had fooled around with Connor at boarding school, until it dawned on me that I was obviously confusing Laurel with Michaela.  When the characters are so dull that I can't distinguish one from the other, even when they are of different races, that's a writing problem lol.

On a positive note, I like Bonnie.  I don't know why, I don't know what she's up to, but I find her interesting.

• Love 1

It's possible that Annalise had told Beth that she was getting her side piece to investigate her husband previously off-screen so that when she saw him rooting around in Sam's car she could put 2 and 2 together. 

Why Sam would buy the "I was just jogging and saw your lights on" excuse is beyond me. How did the guy know Sam was the owner of the car to initiate a conversation with him? Wouldn't Sam know that he didn't leave the lights on? Maybe the detective's subtle playing of the race card ("I wasn't trying to steal it") put Sam enough off-guard that he didn't think about these obvious questions.

The guy with Laurel is Khan(sp?), an upper classman who is on Bar Review, which is to say, someone who is a top student in law school who writes for the school's journal. Pretty much every law school has a main journal, where students and professors write scholarly articles about various aspects of the law, and a number of specialized journals that do the same thing but concentrate on specific fields. Getting on the main journal is a prestigious thing and likely to impress future employers. They met like an episode or two at an event at a bar, and apparently have hooked up to a certain extent. I think they had Khan in the previouslies.

Interesting-it's like Connor (and viewers) had to witness a sexual hook-up that was purely about sex and manipulation to get what he wanted for us, (and perhaps Connor himself,) to realize what he had with Oliver was something different.  Only he realized that too late.

I have to say, watching Connor in wake of the murder be the REAL 'shooting star' was great.  His ongoing implosion was just great and the fact that he ended up at Oliver's doorstep says it all.  My bet is that while Michaela and Laurel don't tell their current partners about what happened at the bonfire night, Connor will end up spilling his all to his ex-boyfriend and won't that complicate things.  Also second only to Wes, Laurel seems to be the one who's coping best with the strain of body disposal which may indicate that Laurel has a dark side.  Couldn't care less about her/Khan/Frank, but idealist girl turning out to have some stone cold killer style edge-now that is a storyline I could sink my teeth into.

I do think there's more to Asher than meets the eye-there's gotta be a reason he wasn't included in the killing and I'm hoping there's a backstory there.

And of course I loved Viola's last scene even if the final nine words weren't all that shocking.  This show is junk food all right but its very addictive junk food.

Can someone explain the Laurel and Frank dynamic to me? What's up with all the angst? He comes off as creepy/predatory to me, but apparently Laurel suddenyl has feelings for him? So weird.

Yeah, what is up with all the angst? It's underdeveloped to say the least. And it's not interesting enough to be a "mystery" soit is falling flat.

I loved Elizabeth Perkins in Weeds so I liked the MOTW. It had about a million flaws, but was entertaining enough for me to forgive that.

I thought the judges reaction to the confession was over the top. Finding it suspect, sure but "there will be a formal inquiry" with a mad, stern face was silly.

The guy who played the assistant was smoking hot. You think he'd really discuss the trading in the freaking workplace though? What about calling from your car on the way home, asswipe. Better yet, talk face to face.

When they were handing out the dossiers or whatever on the employees, that and those type scenes feel very low budget "we are trying so hard to be a cool, slick show". Like I felt Tommy Lee Jones was going to show up and in super serious voice say "No stone unturned, men! We gotta get this bastard".

With all that, I watch it and like it. But I will be fine if they don't show the twirling cheerleader ever again. Not feeling good about my chances.

• Love 1

Best wig take off since Kimberly Shaw on Melrose Place.

That said, I HAAAATE when networks say "you need to watch the last 2 minutes as if your life depended on it!" because you're setting up expectations for a lot, especially for a new show that hasn't really built up to anything yet AND relies a lot of flash forward/rewind. So when I heard it I was like "Whoa ok...wait, THIS is what they were talking about? Meh."

This show is becoming like a Big Mac for me: I crave it, I eat one, I enjoy it for the 60 minutes, then I have this weird after taste that lasts a bit and  then I wait a week to crave it again.

• Love 6
Why Sam would buy the "I was just jogging and saw your lights on" excuse is beyond me. How did the guy know Sam was the owner of the car to initiate a conversation with him? Wouldn't Sam know that he didn't leave the lights on? Maybe the detective's subtle playing of the race card ("I wasn't trying to steal it") put Sam enough off-guard that he didn't think about these obvious questions.

I don't know if it's obvious.  He said that he saw the lights on.  He didn't know Sam was the owner until Sam approached the car, so he addressed Sam.  However, I got the feeling that Sam knows exactly who this man is.

I actually counted the words on my finger to see if that was it. After all the hype, I was expecting more.

But I blame the ABC promo monkeys for that crap and not the show. That scene would have been more powerful if they'd not promo'd the hell out of what was going to happen. They do that with Scandal, too. It's annoying.

I have said since day one that I much prefer Viola Davis with her natural hair. It's not just the wig itself that bothers me; it's the idea that she needs that in order to look sexy. I'm transitioning to natural after years of chemically relaxing and wearing weaves, and it's very freeing. I wish more shows with black women would portray them with natural locks. I caught her interview on ABC World News Tonight when she returned to Julliard to surprise the students. She looked fantastic with her natural hair.

Back to the episode. The scene where the assistant commits suicide was shocking to me. I'm glad the promo monkeys didn't ruin it. And I always love to see Elizabeth Perkins. The case of the week was interesting. So this episode was my favorite so far of the season.

• Love 2
I also loved the black lady in the office who had pictures of her cats all over the place.  It's rare that you see a black woman as a "crazy cat lady."
Loved that woman.  She was hilarious.  The quick cuts between employees was very well done.  I loved how every time it came back to her she was still yelling at Doucheface.  The part where she accused him of looking at her "goods" was particularly funny.

Viola Davis continues to be a powerhouse.  Unless this show implodes or gets cancelled, I think the Emmy already has her name on it.  She is a tour de force.  Then again, I could be biased, I would have given her the Oscar for "The Help" over La Streep, who I thought was good but a bit of a caricature of Margaret Thatcher at times.

• Love 3

I too was a bit underwhelmed by "Viola Davis' last nine words". I'm trying to figure out how Wes knew it was so important. The picture appeared to be a naked man from the neck down. The way Annalise talked ("why didn't you come to me earlier, did you think it would make me upset" or something like that, it makes it sound like Wes knew it was Sam. How would he know it was Sam? There was no head in the picture. Has he seen Sam naked before? Wouldn't the logical assumption be that it was the football player? If the explanation is that there are other photos, we'll surely they could have shown her scrolling through them.

I don't think that Wes knew that it was Frank. In fact, it's unclear that he had even looked at the contents of the phone in any detail except to know that it's Lila's phone. Rebecca having Lila's phone and keeping it in a hidden place sure makes her sound guilty.

I don't think Wes knew it was Sam either, nor that Annalise thought Wes knew either.  I thought the "did you think I would be upset" questions was more about Wes holding onto the phone for so long, in general, and not about whose penis it was.  (that's a sentence I never pictured myself typing).

I was never bothered by the wig, in fact I never was distracted by it at all, but I had been noticing the makeup and thought was too harsh, and especially in this episode thought it didn't look that good.  I do think Annalise/Viola looked so much better w/o them both.  I hope they tone down her makeup in the future, but I'm not expecting it.  It seems to be part of her business look as much as the clothes are.

• Love 1

In terms of Wes, someone in a previous thread said he looks exactly like C. Thomas Howell's character in the 80s movie "Soul Man," wherein a white guy poses as a black guy so that he can get a scholarship to Harvard Law. That person's not wrong.

I've thought that since the beginning, but didn't want to say something because I was afraid that it might be just a tiny bit racist :/    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees it, though!

ETA:  I just watched the trailer.  Funny how $53K + change was such a devastating figure for law school back in the '80's...nowadays, that would be a steal!

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 1