Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And Hulu is increasing its price again.  I might drop it after Only Murders is over for the season and pick it back up for The Bear or the next season of OMITB.

I've just received an email about this. We're already paying over $19, I think. It's all too much now. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

This is 100% why I'm going to let Hulu lapse at the end of my year-long Black Friday 2023 deal.  $1.07 a month is waaaaay too much to pay to put up with shit like this.

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And Hulu is increasing its price again.  I might drop it after Only Murders is over for the season and pick it back up for The Bear or the next season of OMITB.

I get Hulu "free" with my mobile service, where I'm grandfathered in on a plan that's a pretty good deal.  If that ever changes, Hulu would be relegated to the services that I add/drop depending on what's currently available that I want to see (Netflix, Apple), or wait until I get a deep discount deal on (Peacock, Paramount+).

Other than OMITB, I'm starting to side-eye Hulu. I have the $20 ad-free deal with it and Disney+, which is good because together they are only a few dollars more than either alone. But right now there isn't much on Disney that I want to watch. 🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by tessaray
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I might drop it after Only Murders is over for the season and pick it back up for The Bear or the next season of OMITB.

I'm so pissed off by them that I'm not even going to bother to watch any of the borderline programs I put in "my stuff."  If I allow them to treat me like this, they'll continue to treat me like this.  Maybe I'll cancel before my last $1.07 payment is due.  That'll show 'em!

Seriously--if they treat Only Murders like this, something I never watched but I know is one of their most popular productions,  then I don't want to have anything to do with them.  I definitely don't want to be reminded, every time I watch a show, of their slobbering desperation to keep me from exiting their platform, even for a minute.

Actually, I'm glad this was brought to our attention, to remind me how much I hate Hulu.  I just went through my entire "my stuff" on there and anything that is on Kanopy or Hoopla, I added it over there.  I have limited borrows on those, and always figured I'd put up with the Hulu version because it's "free," but nope.  I'm left with just a few things I can't get elsewhere, and seeing my drastically trimmed "my stuff" list on Hulu makes me happy.  I'll knock those out and then say adios, and cherish my time with Reservation Dogs.

So I'm watching the Kristen Stewart Princess Diana movie on Hulu and 45 minutes in it goes to commercial.  Then after this commercial break it starts a NEW movie, the one with Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rogers.  The hell?

So I hit the "back" button and resume the Diana movie, picking it up where I left off, and it plays the last few seconds before the commercial break that led to Mr. Rogers (she's gobbling some pastries in the kitchen), and then I get a screen that says this movie is intended for mature audiences, like when the movie first started.  Then commercials play, and then it starts showing the movie Together.  The hell? 

So I go back and navigate to the Diana movie again and resume it, and there she is gobbling pastries in the kitchen again, and it acts as if it's going to commercial but it doesn't, and picks up where Together was when I hit the back button.

So I stopped Together and resumed Diana, and there she was gobbling pastries again, but this time I got a split second of the next scene, where somebody is walking in a foggy garden, and then I got the "intended for mature audiences" warning, and then commercials.  And then?  Some gory documentary called Dead Asleep

The thing is, I have this going through a standalone DVR so I can replay all of this to confirm what happened in what order.  And this is why I do that--so I don't get halfway into a movie and have it glitch.  Plus it helps me verify that I'm not losing my fucking mind.

ETA: I'm a glutton for punishment.  I tried it one more time and got another split second of the person walking in the foggy garden, and I'm guessing it's Diana.  Then commercials, then...the movie Pig starts.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 2