Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

It's interesting that there's all this talk about the HBOmax app lately.  A while back, my daughter set me up a profile on her account (I'm not complaining about that!) but for the last couple days, whenever I go back to certain shows, the audio is in a different language.  The options still say it's English, but I have to switch to a different language, then back to English, to get actual English audio.  A little experimenting makes me think it's only on shows with a Portuguese language option.  Anyone else seeing that?

• Mind Blown 1
On 5/21/2022 at 6:44 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m about as furious as I’ve been in a long time.  I have no idea what is the freaking problem, but here goes.  I downloaded the AMC app weeks ago. I access it using my cable provider Spectrum at a location other than my cable address.  I’ve done it for a couple of years and other channels too.  Was no problem.  Have been watching Better Call Saul every week this season.  THEN, today, I tried to watch it and it requires me to activate with a code, which isn’t unusual.  But, it fails when I try to do it. I’ve tried multiple times. And, have Uninstalled and reinstalled the App to no avail.  I ALSO tried it on Roku, in addition the the Firestick and it fails there too!    

I really want to watch the new Interview with a Vampire series, but I’m streaming only- does anyone else here get AMC+?

I have AMC+. The interface isn't great, but I was able to get a deal for something like $25 for a year. It has all the Shudder + IFC content, which was why I signed up. There's been 1 technical issue during the 3 months I've had it, but they resolved it relatively quickly. I'm curious about Interview with the Vampire, but I'm really excited about the Dark Winds series coming out next week.

• Useful 2
On 4/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, Peace 47 said:

Is it going to be like my Spectrum app, where if you are not on your home WiFi, they can tell?

The spectrum app on my Roku TV uses my daughter's login info rather than mine because she is [over] paying for a [very] few channels ($50 for no more than 6, which was required for her to have internet, and Spectrum is the only internet in her area, and she needs it to WFH), whereas I spent over an hour talking to managers of managers in order to only pay for internet. 
But now I'm getting this error message:
image.png.9e65ff4804b6e109df5e5ced1b312399.png 

Any clues?
I just wanted to see the local weather, so it's no big deal.
The only show I've been watching on her Spectrum is Castle reruns, and I can get those on another daughter's Hulu, which I will start paying for when it runs out this winter, or whenever I need it.

18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The spectrum app on my Roku TV uses my daughter's login info rather than mine because she is [over] paying for a [very] few channels ($50 for no more than 6, which was required for her to have internet, and Spectrum is the only internet in her area, and she needs it to WFH), whereas I spent over an hour talking to managers of managers in order to only pay for internet. 
But now I'm getting this error message:
image.png.9e65ff4804b6e109df5e5ced1b312399.png 

Any clues?
I just wanted to see the local weather, so it's no big deal.
The only show I've been watching on her Spectrum is Castle reruns, and I can get those on another daughter's Hulu, which I will start paying for when it runs out this winter, or whenever I need it.

I’m not sure I understand.  Do you have a spectrum cable package?  Do you have On Demand for watching the shows online?  What I do, is download the channel app I want and when asked for the provider, click on spectrum. They’ll ask for your username and passcode, then say you’re in.  Or, you may have to go to an activation page for the channel to enter activation code or select your carrier.  It’s the same if I do it on my iPad or phone.  

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure I understand.  Do you have a spectrum cable package?  Do you have On Demand for watching the shows online?  What I do, is download the channel app I want and when asked for the provider, click on spectrum. They’ll ask for your username and passcode, then say you’re in.  Or, you may have to go to an activation page for the channel to enter activation code or select your carrier.  It’s the same if I do it on my iPad or phone.  

Well, that worked for the channel on which I was accessing Castle reruns (LifeTime), so, thanks!, but the only way to get to the Spectrum News & Weather now seems to be online. 🤷‍♀️

4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Does the Spectrum TV app on Roku need to detect the Spectrum modem associated with the account in order to access it?  Sometimes they do.

It didn't used to, but maybe it does now. 🤷‍♀️

It's not a big deal. It was mostly me being attached to my old school methods. 🙃

I’m not sure about the spectrum news and weather.  I only watch that on cable.  Other times I have apps for local NBC, ABC and CBS affiliates who have local news and weather.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure about the spectrum news and weather.  I only watch that on cable.  Other times I have apps for local NBC, ABC and CBS affiliates who have local news and weather.  

I'm kind of a weather junkie, obsessively checking at all hours on many apps, and just recently I discovered that the Spectrum News "Weather On The Ones" was the most accurate for me to use to plan walks, swims, drives, etc.

I was watching it on the Roku TV via the Spectrum app (which has an interface like cable TV with quick channel switching) but apparently I no longer have access. Having the Spectrum local News & Weather on the TV while I was getting ready to go somewhere felt convenient, and comfortably nostalgic.

Maybe Spectrum implemented software that doesn't let you login to the app with credentials that are different than those being used on the device to connect to the internet via Spectrum?
And then since the individual apps (like LifeTime) are not owned by Spectrum, they don't see the conflict and let me connect?
🤷‍♀️

But only the Spectum app has their news and weather for TV (it's not a separate "channel") so I'll have to book mark it in Safari on my phone. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm kind of a weather junkie, obsessively checking at all hours on many apps, and just recently I discovered that the Spectrum News "Weather On The Ones" was the most accurate for me to use to plan walks, swims, drives, etc.

I was watching it on the Roku TV via the Spectrum app (which has an interface like cable TV with quick channel switching) but apparently I no longer have access. Having the Spectrum local News & Weather on the TV while I was getting ready to go somewhere felt convenient, and comfortably nostalgic.

Maybe Spectrum implemented software that doesn't let you login to the app with credentials that are different than those being used on the device to connect to the internet via Spectrum?
And then since the individual apps (like LifeTime) are not owned by Spectrum, they don't see the conflict and let me connect?
🤷‍♀️

But only the Spectum app has their news and weather for TV (it's not a separate "channel") so I'll have to book mark it in Safari on my phone. 

I hope that doesn’t happen here.  If so, it sort of defeats the purpose of being able to get my On Demand shows, wherever I go.  Rarely, would I need to do it while in the same house of that account, when I have cable there.  I need it when I’m elsewhere and only have internet.  

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope that doesn’t happen here.  If so, it sort of defeats the purpose of being able to get my On Demand shows, wherever I go.  Rarely, would I need to do it while in the same house of that account, when I have cable there.  I need it when I’m elsewhere and only have internet.  

That seems like a good case for my being wrong about what's going on, but I suppose they might reason that you wouldn't need to watch a missed show On Demand until you got home. 🤷‍♀️

(edited)

I went to  local spectrum news and weather website and logged in using my home account and password, (cable, internet and phone bundle) and it let me in, but when I tried to watch live, it sent me to App Store for Channel 14 on the Go.  I didn’t download it, but even if I had, I don’t know if it would allow me live tv.  Of course, that’s from my home account internet, so, even if it did….it might not allow it at my country house.  I’ll do an experiment this weekend.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

at my country house.  I’ll do an experiment this weekend.  

Oh.
Silly me.
I should have checked the Spectrum Twitter help first:

image.thumb.png.bb323123cb33f88dd3605f6e13c8a71e.png

Of course. It doesn't mean I'm wrong about what caused it. 🙃

But does your country house also use Spectrum for internet, and, if so, is it part of the same account as your other location? 

If both locations do use the same account for internet (not sure Spectrum can do that without having one location on a VPN or something), then it wouldn't be an equivalent comparison to my situation.

However, now I'm wondering if this is a new effort to limit sharing, and if it might cause people who have accounts in more than one location to lose access to their Spectrum TV program app at one of the locations, how will Spectrum deal with annoyed customers? 

So, regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens. 🤔

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Mind Blown 1

Spectrum updates:

My son-in-law was able to get his Spectrum app working again (on his Roku TV) by disconnecting their internet and (I think) signing out of their internet and signing back in, as well as deleting the Spectrum app and then reinstalling it. 

Meanwhile, I got mine working again, but may have inadvertently signed up for a whole bunch of channels for a year at $20/month, which is a good deal, but so not what I intended. 

• Mind Blown 1

HBO Max has been working correctly, except for one blip yesterday, since I posted upthread.

I signed up for it because it seemed like it had a lot of shows I'd be interested in. If only I could remember what they were now. The interface is as bad as Netflix's and Hulu's--unless you know what you want to watch and can use the search function to find it, good luck.The Time Traveler's Wife was one, until a friend reminded me Steven Moffat was involved. So scratch that. But I really enjoyed The Flight Attendent and Julia, neither of which was on the list of HBO Max shows I thought I wanted to check out.

39 minutes ago, ABay said:

. . . I signed up for [HBO Max ]because it seemed like it had a lot of shows I'd be interested in. If only I could remember what they were now. . . .

If I still had HBO Max, I intended to watch season 2 of the new Perry Mason (August 7), season 2 of The Flight Attendant, and the new seasons of Barry
So, maybe you wanted to watch Barry now?

1 hour ago, ABay said:

I signed up for it because it seemed like it had a lot of shows I'd be interested in. If only I could remember what they were now.

26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If I still had HBO Max, I intended to watch season 2 of the new Perry Mason (August 7), season 2 of The Flight Attendant, and the new seasons of Barry
So, maybe you wanted to watch Barry now?

My daughter set me up a profile on her HBO Max because I just wanted to watch one specific thing (which I can't remember what it was, now), but I ended up watching a lot of stuff.  Barry, Hacks, Our Flag Means Death, Julia, Last Week Tonight, Ghosts (UK version), Minx, The Staircase (meh), Mare of Easttown, the Sopranos prequel movie...  Starting on The Flight Attendant now, but I read the book, so I'm not rushing into that.  Forgot about Perry Mason - adding it to the list!  Does that trigger anything, ABay?

Minx! That was one I was going to try. Thanks!

The Flight Attendant is based on a book? Huh.

I've seen and love to pieces Ghosts but saw it before HBO Max. Will we ever learn the Captain's full name? Maybe I'll watch it again for the 33rd time. When is series 4 going to air?! I keep checking. The CBS version is pretty good and I got Paramount+ partly in order to see all of it. It is very annoying that the original has 6 episodes a series and 2 Christmas specials, and that's only 2 more episodes than one season of the US version.

Rhys Darby and pirates drew me to Our Flag Means Death and I should go back to it. My main takeaway from the last episode I watched is that more men should wear a white pirate shirt shredded by an opponent's sword. Crikey.

I tried Hacks but didn't last a full episode. I tried Perry Mason during a free trial last year and it is not for me.

The face of the actor in the Barry ad...I had the same reaction to him as I did to Jeffrey Donovan: I want to punch his face. But Burn Notice turned out to be fun until the final season so maybe I should give Barry a chance.

I watched the documentary version of the Staircase and not even Colin Firth can convince me to watch this version (Sorry, Col. You know I still adore you.)

Mare of Easttown has stellar reviews so maybe I'll take a look. Thanks for mentioning it.

John Oliver is fantastic but I'm on a news boycott until I feel less emotionally fragile. So probably not this decade. Giving up Colbert and Seth was painful, The Daily Show and Full Frontal less so, but I'm happier not hearing every night how the world is going to hell.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Does anyone here have HistoryHit? It’s only $5 per month and my fav YouTuber for history has a code. I love watching historical programs on YouTube so I think I’d use it. I’ve downloaded a few podcasts. 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:36 AM, ABay said:

HBO Max has been working correctly, except for one blip yesterday, since I posted upthread.

I signed up for it because it seemed like it had a lot of shows I'd be interested in. If only I could remember what they were now. The interface is as bad as Netflix's and Hulu's--unless you know what you want to watch and can use the search function to find it, good luck.The Time Traveler's Wife was one, until a friend reminded me Steven Moffat was involved. So scratch that. But I really enjoyed The Flight Attendent and Julia, neither of which was on the list of HBO Max shows I thought I wanted to check out.

If you are referring to The Time Traveler’s Wife, the movie,  I wouldn’t recommend it.  I haven’t tried the series yet.  Probably won’t.  

From THR:  Netflix will be introducing an ad-supported tier, which will apparently be cheaper than its normal plans.  Quote from Co-CEO Ted Sarandos:

“We adding an ad tier; we’re not adding ads to Netflix as you know it today. We’re adding an ad tier for folks who say, ‘Hey, I want a lower price and I’ll watch ads.'”

And, from Variety:  Netflix is laying off 300 more employees.  In May, they laid off 150 full-time employees, plus "dozens of" part-time and contract workers.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 3
13 hours ago, Just Here said:

From THR:  Netflix will be introducing an ad-supported tier, which will apparently be cheaper than its normal plans.  Quote from Co-CEO Ted Sarandos:

And, from Variety:  Netflix is laying off 300 more employees.  In May, they laid off 150 full-time employees, plus "dozens of" part-time and contract workers.

I doubt that is going to be anything more than a temporary bandaid. Assuming the ad-supported tier is the single stream plan just with ads it’s going to have a pretty limited appeal. It’s hard to add an ad tier when you already have a bare bones tier.

Netflix’s problem is more about content than price. I wonder if they will ever be willing to abandon the binge model so they can stop being a service you can easily churn based on release dates. That reminds me that I need to sign up for a month so I can watch Umbrella Academy. 

12 hours ago, Dani said:

I wonder if they will ever be willing to abandon the binge model so they can stop being a service you can easily churn based on release dates. That reminds me that I need to sign up for a month so I can watch Umbrella Academy. 

Would creating a cheaper, non-binge subscription work? Or would that backfire?
I'd be interested in seeing the outcome just to see which is more popular: binge model vs. weekly episode model.
But even if it turned out cheaper was more popular than binge (for whatever reasons) there'd still be the question of whether Netflix can gain a monetarily significant portion of customers just by lowering the price. I guess that's what the ad model is supposed to determine, but throwing the ads in confuses the issue.

Even if they go to the episode a week model, I would still wait until all the episodes were available and then subscribe and binge. That's what I'm doing with Paramount+. I've unsubscribed and will re subscribe when all episodes of Evil have aired and Ill resub to Hulu when all episodes of Only Murders in the Building season 2 have aired.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Even if they go to the episode a week model, I would still wait until all the episodes were available and then subscribe and binge. That's what I'm doing with Paramount+. I've unsubscribed and will re subscribe when all episodes of Evil have aired and Ill resub to Hulu when all episodes of Only Murders in the Building season 2 have aired.

Same! It's just easier for me. I'll then break them up and watch 2-3 a night rather than truly binging. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Would creating a cheaper, non-binge subscription work? Or would that backfire?

It would probably backfire and it also would have an even more limited appeal because it couldn’t be higher quality or offer more simultaneously streams than the $9.99 plan. The biggest difficulty for Netflix in adding a new tier is that they have linked price to quality. Services like HBO Max or Disney+ could add an ad-supported tier because they had room to go lower. Netflix has very little room to go lower in terms of quality or access. 

To make ad-supported or a weekly release tier work they would probably have to restructure their existing tiers to create room for a new tier.

4 hours ago, ABay said:

That’s true for a lot of people. I often do the same thing. I feel that the bigger benefit to weekly release is that it builds interest in way that no longer happens with the binge model. Social media drives what people are watching and an episode trending every week for 6 to 10 weeks creates shows that people feel they must watch and they are more likely to subscribe during or after to be a part of the conversation. 

6 hours ago, ABay said:

I do the same. Easy to just wait until they’ve all aired and then binge. 

• Love 2

I was surprised to find out that you can just sign up for however long you want, then unsubscribe whenever you want. I am used to services like TV, internet, etc. having a mandatory period, usually 2 years, when you can't unsubscribe from the service without a fine (not sure if you have something similar in the US?). So I'm pleasantly surprised that this does not apply for streaming sites even here and I can unsubscribe whenever I want and just pay for that month. I don't plan to do that for now, so far I'm satisfied with Netflix and still have a lot to watch, Disney+ has just launched here, so I got that too, but I might take that approach with Amazon Prime once LOTR starts, depending on what else they have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just can't seem to get into the streaming services. $4.99 here $ 9.99  there they seem to add up to more than my retired budget can afford and from what  see of the listings I'm not really interested in the show line up. For now I'll just stick with my satellite TV maybe later I might try some, but for now I'm OK with what I have.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I was surprised to find out that you can just sign up for however long you want, then unsubscribe whenever you want. I am used to services like TV, internet, etc. having a mandatory period, usually 2 years, when you can't unsubscribe from the service without a fine

That is the best thing about cordcutting. No contracts. (It used to be price and no contracts.) Some people rotate through them all, subbing for a month or two and catching up on the latest releases, then canceling to move on to the next. We keep YTTV, Paramount+, Peacock, Disney+ and Hulu all the time and still pay less than what our cable bill was 5 years ago. If I needed to batten down the hatches I could cancel them all today to free up funds. Well, except for Disney+, which I  get by the year.  I also get Netflix and HBOMax occasionally, if there's something I want to watch.

Still, here in the US the free services like Pluto and Tubi have gotten so much better that I could probably get by without the paid stuff if it weren't for Star Wars and Star Trek. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

I broke down and got Netflix again.  I got hooked on a few episodes of Pieces Of Her at a friend’s house and really wanted to watch the entire season.  It was pretty good.  Now that I have it, I figured why not watch Ozark too?  Lol. So, I’ll probably let go of HBOmax for a while. I will keep Prime and Hulu, but the others can fluctuate.   I’m generally not wild about Netflix. I might just keep Netflix Basic for 1 month.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I broke down and got Netflix again.  I got hooked on a few episodes of Pieces Of Her at a friend’s house and really wanted to watch the entire season.  It was pretty good.  Now that I have it, I figured why not watch Ozark too?  Lol. So, I’ll probably let go of HBOmax for a while. I will keep Prime and Hulu, but the others can fluctuate.   I’m generally not wild about Netflix. I might just keep Netflix Basic for 1 month.

I do the same. I canceled Netflix for at least 6 months then went back to watch a few things. I’ll probably cancel again soon. I got a discounted rate on HBO for a year so I’ll keep it until it they want to charge full price again.

Amazon Prime is advertising a bunch of channel subscriptions for .99/mo for 2 months as part of their Prime Day deals. Paramount+, Starz, Showtime, AMC+, Epix, PBS, Acorn, etc. are available. I'm tempted to give Hallmark Movies Now a go.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
On 7/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, krankydoodle said:

Amazon Prime is advertising a bunch of channel subscriptions for .99/mo for 2 months as part of their Prime Day deals

I don’t suppose there is a way to space out the subscriptions, like Acorn for July - August, then PBS in Sept.- Oct.?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, krankydoodle said:

Amazon Prime is advertising a bunch of channel subscriptions for .99/mo for 2 months as part of their Prime Day deals. Paramount+, Starz, Showtime, AMC+, Epix, PBS, Acorn, etc. are available. I'm tempted to give Hallmark Movies Now a go.

I'm not seeing it. 
I'm logged into Amazon on both my laptop and phone.
What category are these subscriptions under?

I feel like I am officially Past My Prime. 👵🏻

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 5
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm not seeing it. 

I think Prime Video?

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm not seeing it. 

Go to Prime Video > Channels

2022-07-07_17-22-54.jpg.181a586e4914b4c038afec4d1f0316a8.jpg

The subscription deals end July 13.

• Useful 2
23 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Prime Day is a week away.  

Officially it is. They've had items promoted at special prices and promos  for that event available for awhile now though.

• Useful 2
On 7/5/2022 at 12:48 PM, krankydoodle said:

Even Canada got that deal which surprised me. Although stupid AMC+ in Canada only gets one episode of Better Call Saul at a time and they only stay up for a week so after realizing that I didn't bother getting it. But I did sign up for Paramount+ and Stingray Music (a channel with a bunch of concerts and shows about music). I should be able to find a bunch of good stuff to watch for 2 months.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm not seeing it. 

I was looking for it recently, and couldn't find it either, so I thought they weren't doing it this Summer. I'll look now.

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I was looking for it recently, and couldn't find it either, so I thought they weren't doing it this Summer. I'll look now.

I did find the deals.

1. On my laptop, in the top left under "amazon," click on the "hamburger" menu icon
     image.png.b35c3dcbc69e3c1b657ed8ca1908d0a2.png All
  2. Then select: Prime Video
  3. Then select: Prime Video Channels

thanks to @Just Here's screen grab upthread.

However, if AMC in the US will not show the first part of the current season of BCS, I will wait for Netflix even if it's a year from now.

And, I do not see HBO Max. 😞 Maybe HBO Max will show up on Prime Day?

• Useful 2
On 7/7/2022 at 4:53 PM, Mittengirl said:

I don’t suppose there is a way to space out the subscriptions, like Acorn for July - August, then PBS in Sept.- Oct.?

No, unfortunately.  The subscription starts the day you sign up for them.  But on the bright side, Amazon promotes these .99 cent specials a lot throughout the year.  This is tied to Prime Day, but check back around major US holidays and they often have them then.  I have not paid more than .99 for a slew of streaming channels in years.  I especially like it during Thanksgiving or Christmas when I have the time off to sit and binge.

this time around I got PBS masterpiece so I can catch up on Sanditon and Endeavor.  And Paramount Plus so I can catch up on Strange New worlds that I had to drop after after my last .99 cent Paramount plus ended a couple months ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

No, unfortunately.  The subscription starts the day you sign up for them.  But on the bright side, Amazon promotes these .99 cent specials a lot throughout the year.  This is tied to Prime Day, but check back around major US holidays and they often have them then.  I have not paid more than .99 for a slew of streaming channels in years.  I especially like it during Thanksgiving or Christmas when I have the time off to sit and binge.

this time around I got PBS masterpiece so I can catch up on Sanditon and Endeavor.  And Paramount Plus so I can catch up on Strange New worlds that I had to drop after after my last .99 cent Paramount plus ended a couple months ago.

If you haven’t watched Miss Scarlet and the Duke on pbs, I recommend it. 

I also do the 99¢ specials especially around the holidays. I watched Yellowjackets that way. They do those 99¢ specials for Black Friday or cyber Monday too. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

I just started watching State of the Union (Season 2) after getting my 99 cents special on Prime deal.  I started with season 2, because Patricia Clarkson is one of my best friends….in my mind.  Lol.  She’s featured in season 2.  I admire her as an actress.  We’ll see what else AMC+ has to offer.  I was already getting AMC through my cable service.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe