Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Duggars in Cuffs

To celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary, Jim Bob & Michelle go on a triple date with Jill & Derick and Jessa & Ben and have a big surprise planned. Meanwhile in DC, Josh gets back on track with his fitness goals by running a 5K.
  • Love 1

This is just a set up to "take" JB to his 30th anniversary celebration, which, BTW, occurred on month AFTER Jill's wedding. Jill was married in June, the anniversary was in July. Why are they airing events that supposedly occurred after the wedding, which we still haven't seen? So disgusted with this program.

• Love 5

This episode title makes it seem as though someone is going to jail. 

That's what I was hoping for. Or at the very least some bachelorette party with a fake cop. Speaking of, do the Duggars to bachelor/ette parties?

• Love 2

I guess since Boob doesn't watch TV, he didn't realize the handcuff together thing was already done by the Roloffs & it was boring then.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 1

I guess since Boob doesn't watch TV, he didn't realize the handcuff together thing was already done by the Roloffs & it was boring then.

I thought they were all finally going to get kinky.  I was so sure he had some blindfolds and spanking equipment in those picnic baskets.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 7

That's what I was hoping for. Or at the very least some bachelorette party with a fake cop. Speaking of, do the Duggars to bachelor/ette parties?

Yes, at Chuck-E-Cheese or Dave & Busters.

Edited by xls
  • Love 5

I hope Derickdillard & Bin got paid extra for this episode. What adult male would put up with that crap?

I hope, at least, they get to keep the handcuffs for sweet fellowship.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 15

Josh really needs to get a Man-Bro or at least Spanx.

I was totally defrauded by the sight of his man-boobs tonight, and will be seeking a divorce in the morning.

• Love 12

I hope Derickdillard & Bin got paid extra for this episode. What adult male would put up with that crap?

I hope, at least, they get to keep the handcuffs for sweet fellowship.

Sounded like Derick wanted some of those furry cuffs which would be more comfortable. Jill didn't know what he was talking about.  lol

• Love 8

Nike!!!  Women running in shorts and tank tops. Thank you for the mental picture of Josh running. My lawyer and eye doctor will be contacting you in the morning.

Darn it!!! I was not handcuffed before I got married and force to do stupid tasks in order learn on how to work together during the good and bad times in marriage. I am so disappointed!!!

Well I felt really defrauded by Josie in her interview.  She lifted her dress multiple times.  

And then, if I wasn't ruined enough, Jessa got out of the car when the cop pulled them over and I could see a portion of her white underwear and a bit of skin where she would put a tramp stamp- when she gets one.  

On to Josh and Anna.  I'm not being mean here.  I really think Anna has stepped up her game a bit and has looked so much better.  However, did anyone notice in the car, when they were driving to the race- Anna looked pregnant - and then again at the race.  I'm am sincerely hoping it was just camera angles or clothes because I so don't want her to be.  

However, I was thinking that if she was, she is probably being told to keep it a secret because of the 'real' Duggar girls and all their BS going on- that they just keep dragging on and on.  

In addition, I'm already feeling a bit tipsy from the denim skirt drinking part.  I'm sure the night has more to bring.  

Jill, Derick, Bin and Jessa looked so embarrassed when they were flopping around the "obstacle course" aka "children's playground." I wonder how many pissed off five year-olds were standing off camera wondering when the hell they could get back on the monkey bars. And PB&J for an adult picnic lunch? Keep it klassy, Duggars. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

What the fuck did I just watch? Can these girls not have a normal date? They're already not allowed to kiss, hold hands, or breathe in each other's general direction. Now they have to be subjected to fake cop chases, handcuffs, obstacle courses, and crossbows? What the fuck does any of that have to do with marriage? I get it, marriage is hard, marriage requires teamwork, marriage requires communication. So an afternoon of inane shenaningans is going to prepare them? Please. 

Maybe if you allowed your children to make out with their damn boyfriends they would be able to wait longer to get married and therefor get a real sense of their compatibility with each other, and what a relationship takes. But right now they're in LUST LUST LUST and just want to say those vows and get those pants off. Good job, mom and dad. 

And, please PLEASE stop forcing us to relive Boob and Michelle's love story. I don't care. But....what on earth could those two talk about for 4 hours? Purposing to eat precious pickles?

I was proud of Josh for running that marathon. He may have been slow and frightening people with his manboobs, but he stuck with it. Anna looked damn cute over there on the sidelines.

I mean, of course Benessa had to have 2 pairs of handcuffs so they don't get too close together.

Because otherwise they would have started banging right there on the side of the highway, in front of family, police, and everybody.

• Love 14

Ben said it. He thought the date was a little silly.

Playing along, I thought JB's illustration of the obstacle course was missing an important point. When they were doing the obstacle course and JB was telling Jill and Derick they needed to communicate, I was thinking, yes, but as a married couple you need to hang on to each other too. They get to hold hands, but Ben and Jessa can't. If one of them slipped and fell, what does communication have to do then? It didn't look right as they were coming down, he wasn't holding onto her to help.

• Love 1

Geez guys I missed the post about the denim skirt drinking game. And I love to snark on those skirts. I did record the episode so Cheers to you all !!!

LOL- the night is young.  You can still catch up!  Cheers!  

. And PB&J for an adult picnic lunch? Keep it klassy, Duggars. 

OMG- wasn't this supposed to be an anniversary dinner?  I would kill my husband if he took me to a playground on our anniversary.  Wait, I would kill myself if I were married to Boob… So never mind. 

White bread and tater tots- that's all you need to meet your nutritional needs for the day- Duggar style that is.

• Love 1

Looks like Jim Boob and Michelle went to the prom in one ofbthose pictures. That would have involved dancing! Well, no surprise if Michelle was head cheerleader at the time.

Didn't Boob mention what a great Christian MEchelle was when he met her- and that's why he was so attracted to her and didn't think he had a chance with her.    I thought she was a snotty cheerleader.  Is the story changing?  Boob also said he was short at the same moment they showed a picture of him towering over her.  WTH is he talking about?  

• Love 6

I assume the policeman was a TLC-paid actor.

If that man was a real policeman and those handcuffs were really from the government and state issued, then I am appalled at what my tax dollars are funding. Or outraged on behalf of people of the state of Arkansas.  You would think good tea party guys like the Duggars would be mortified at government providing for their date and/or involved in their personal lives to the extent of planning dates for people! ;)

But he's an actor, right?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 6

1 Bin looks like he combed his hair with a pork chop.

2 The sight of Josh in that shirt was anything but modest.

3 Derrickdillard sooo busted himself on his knowledge of handcuffs. Whheeeeeee doggers! Go DD!

4 They were going on and on about communicating... those boys were too busy peeping up the skirts to string a line of words together!

5 I see a pole in Josies future.

6 Boob...i just can't even with that snickering slack jawed yokel. He gets his pebble sized rocks off humiliating those boys! Very mean spirited.

• Love 9

Okay, so let me get this straight.  Jim Boob and J'Chelle won't allow their adult daughters to express clothed, vertical love openly with their guys (one of whom is engaged), but they'll handcuff them together and force them to clamber around on a jungle gym to teach them the importance of working together (i.e. for ratings and their own amusement)?  I love the fact that Jill commented, however mildly, on the ridiculousness of the activity.

Josh's 5K: Honestly, good for him.  I know what it's like to struggle with weight issues and I have to give grudging props to anyone who achieves a physical goal like that.  I did notice that he was wearing SHORTS.  That's somewhat momentous in itself.  I can recall episodes where Jim Boob and all of his sons ran races, etc. with heavy jeans on.  Between Joshie's legs and his highly visible nips through his shirt, I felt (dare I say it) almost defrauded watching Josh haul his sweaty ass across that finish line.

We were treated to yet another photographic retrospective of Jim Boob and J'Chelle when they talked about how terribly naughty they were in the early days of their relationship.  You know, the picture of J'Chelle in the cheerleader uniform and the shot of Jim Boob dipping J'Chelle backwards into a kiss in front of the car.  Once again, I'm reminded of what a filthy slut I am for kissing boy(s) before marriage and engaging in unspecified other things that only confirm me as the harlot that I am.  

Side note: I'm capable of having a laugh just like the next person, but I really didn't like the fact that the police officer's time was used that way.  Maybe I'm a big stiff (pun intended), but it felt inappropriate to me.  Also, I've said this before, but why in the hell do they constantly refer to Derick and Ben as "Derick Dillard" and "Ben Seewald?"  Do they think we won't remember or we're going to confuse them with those other Dericks and Bens on the show?  I really need to understand.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5

I assume the policeman was a TLC-paid actor.

If that man was a real policeman and those handcuffs were really from the government and state issued, then I am appalled at what my tax dollars are funding. Or outraged on behalf of people of the state of Arkansas. You would think good tea party guys like the Duggars would be mortified at government providing for their date and/or involved in their personal lives to the extent of planning dates for people! ;)

But he's an actor, right?

Great point! But he was a real policeman. I just checked my recording. He introduced himself as "Officer Hart of the Tonitown Police Dept." when he approached the car. Later Boob said he works with John David at the police dept.

Brings to mind an incident that happened in the city near where I live. Don't remember specifics but it involved cops using a Police boat in an engagement scenario for one of them. Citizens raised hell when the story hit the papers and heads rolled.

Edited by Barb23
Side note: I'm capable of having a laugh just like the next person, but I really didn't like the fact that the police officer's time was used that way.  Maybe I'm a big stiff (pun intended), but it felt inappropriate to me.

Oh, I agree.  I thought it was completely inappropriate, and even if that vehicle was not in use and the officer off-duty, it should not have been done.  They could have handcuffed the kids without all that b.s.  Stupid. Who does that?

I'm sure in few episodes Jim Bob will re-do the Cosby episode where the family tries to teach Theo and Cockroach about "real life" and have each of the family members play the parts of "landlord," "employer," "shop owner," etc.  Ben/Jessa will pass the test and Jim Bob will declare them competent to marry. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 5

That was the best episode of The Cosby Show ever.

I imagine the Duggars would be scandalized by Claire Huxtable, only having 5 kids, and being a working mother.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 5

I enjoyed the fact that Jessa, Ben, Derick and even sweet perfect Jill didn't hide the fact that they found the whole thing incredibly stupid and annoying.

Jessa really seemed to enjoy the handcuffs, though. 

At least Josh is living his own life enough to make the decision to wear shorts - instead of working out in jeans like he did in the early days of his marriage.  I guess he finally realized that shorts aren't a gateway drug to Satanic ritual orgies.  But I'm willing to bet that Anna still isn't allowed to wear pants.  (She probably wouldn't want to, since Anna, despite being much less annoying that Michelle, is still pretty deep in the Kool-Aid drinking season of life.)

• Love 5

That was the best episode of The Cosby Show ever.

I imagine the Duggars would be scandalized by Claire Huxtable, only having 5 kids, and being a working mother.

Yeah! and she dances too!

• Love 2

I have a feeling that Josh wouldn't mind if Anna wore some nice slacks at times, or if she wanted to wear some nice shorts. Since he has "broken away" and wears shorts on occasion, he'd be fine with her doing the same. Yes, I agree that it's Anna who is more "orthodox" than Josh at this point. I don't understand why Josh would run in a public event with females who are dressed appropriately to run; ie, bike shorts, and bathing suit type tops. How can he divert his eyes when running? He's run into a lamppost otherwise? Now, that I'd pay to see!

Also it's nice that Ben wears shorts, too. How do they justify that to the Duggars? I also have noticed that Derick has not been filmed in shorts yet...or did I miss it somewhere? Jim Bob, I promise you that no woman will leave her husband if you dared to wear gym shorts!

MEchelle was a great Christin--huh? I thought she got converted by Boob when they met??

Josie needs speech therapy. At almost 5 she still is struggling.

The rest of the epi bored me to tears so I stopped paying attention.

• Love 1

During the "date" Jill had an expression of disgust.  Either she was suffering from morning sickness or was really not into the obstacle course, etc.  I think DerrickDillard and her were just there for the pay check.

Didn't Boob mention what a great Christian MEchelle was when he met her- and that's why he was so attracted to her and didn't think he had a chance with her.    I thought she was a snotty cheerleader.  Is the story changing?

Maybe she was both? My sister was a cheerleader all throughout high school and actually got a partial cheer scholarship to her college - a private Christian college. But yes, I know the Duggar brand of Christianity would find cheerleading to be entirely immodest. Perhaps Michelle was just a nice, normal Christian when they met, before they drank the Gothard kool-aid. 

Wow, 30 years of marriage and all you get is PBJ, JimBob you really know how to impress a woman.

I loved the editing at their anniversary lunch too. JB was prattling on in his TH about how important it is to serve your spouse and how he's always trying to think of ways to be good to Michelle, then they show a clip of him doing something juvenile with his cup to her at the park. I was only half watching, but you know how he's always teasing people like a 5th grader...and she giggles like it's cute, but her eyes say she wants to stab him. 

• Love 1

I thought the challenge with the hunting bows was dangerous. Jill looked like she was about to cry doing it. Also those poor "girls" (when in reality they are women) climbing the children's play set in sandals. Nice job of watching out for your daughter's safety Jim Boob.

• Love 3

Josie needs speech therapy. At almost 5 she still is struggling.

Absolutely.  I really enjoy making fun of the dolts on this show and look forward to coming here during the week to snark, but there is nothing funny about that poor little girl being forcibly limited by her high-and-mighty parents.  Her THs are so sad, with her struggling to form the simplest words and pulling her dress up over her head.  Anytime she speaks, she's still looking to her older siblings and copying what they say.  It breaks my heart because she qualifies for so many services and interventions!  The time is going to come when it's no longer cute and Jim Boob and J'Chelle will have no one to blame but themselves.  Thank goodness for them that they don't actually raise their children, or they'd be pretty worried!

• Love 4

Watching Josie makes me so angry with this family.  Josie is the same age as my daughter and nephew, the differences are very noticeable. It is a miracle she is alive and they certainly should never forget that, but she definitely needs some help/support now.  Hell, she needed it three years ago but no way they'll ever do that, which frustrates me endlessly.  Even looking at her next to Mack you see a huge difference.

On last week's episode--the one where Jana is slaving away on the dresses, there is the talking head where Jordyn and Josie are expressing sadness at Jill's leaving the house for good.  As Jordyn is speaking, Josie is trying to chime in (repeating Jordyn), and then she just kind of looks off into space, as though transfixed by a fly on the wall, or a bright light, or something.  She really acts like a 2 or 3 year old.  She acts like Michael, except Michael is a couple of years younger. 

• Love 1

Boob said it is the summer of their 30th anniversary ... so I guess they are going to celebrate all summer.  *insertyoungJingereyerollhere*

Jill and Jessa did not appear to be "joyful" during the activities of the triple date. I felt for them too.  JimBoob and Jechelle couldn't just talk to them about some of the struggles they will face as a married couple?   I don't think it is wrong to let the kids do activities where they have to work together and encourage each other on, but handcuffed and at a public park?  I really rolled my eyes when Jechelle told them at the park that they didn't cheer each other on enough.  Geesh.  

If I remember correctly, Michelle had already recently become a "Christian" before meeting Jim Bob at some kind of revival. It was because she saw the light that Jim Bob and his friend had her on their home visitation list. He then, after "bagging her" as his girlfriend, right away convinced her that it was immoral for her to continue being head cheerleader as the outfits, etc., are sinful and torqued up the modesty, Christian stuff. (apologies to real Christians out there).

What I would like to know is why are we continuing to see that same cheerleader picture of Michelle sitting under a tree with her knee bent showing her knees and thighs, yet when she water skied in that modesty frock swimsuit and her skirt went up in the breeze, revealing her partial knee and a knicker, why did she black it out? Shouldn't that cheerleader photo have been blacked out too? What about that photo in the striped jeans with JB kissing her by that sports car, doesn't it show off her butt? Why are we seeing that? Such contradictions.

• Love 4

Boob said it is the summer of their 30th anniversary ... so I guess they are going to celebrate all summer.  *insertyoungJingereyerollhere*

Jill and Jessa did not appear to be "joyful" during the activities of the triple date. I felt for them too.  JimBoob and Jechelle couldn't just talk to them about some of the struggles they will face as a married couple?   I don't think it is wrong to let the kids do activities where they have to work together and encourage each other on, but handcuffed and at a public park?  I really rolled my eyes when Jechelle told them at the park that they didn't cheer each other on enough.  Geesh.  

As said by the high school head cheerleader...perhaps pom poms would have been required for her to deem their cheering adequate?

I've wondered that about the cheerleader picture, too.  I think they purposely leave it as is because they want to show us an example of just how terribly defrauding a young lady can be unless she purposes to shield impressionable young men from naughty things like a couple inches of thigh.  There's "Before J'Chelle" (cheerleader, rebel, fun-loving girl) and "After J'Chelle" (uber Christian, baby-makin' machine).

That little Michael sure is bratty. 

That lunch looked disgusting.  PB & J sandwiches and potato salad. Gross.  Is Jim Bob really that cheap that he couldn't spring for a bucket of chicken? 

Wow. Jill really is bossy.  She was ordering Derick around pretty easily during that obstacle course.  Not so sweet, Jill.

My mom and dad got a divorce years ago.  I think that had they done a handcuff challenge prior to the wedding, it really could have saved a lot of heartache.  <snark>

• Love 6