Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Week 3: Movie Night

• Start Topic

I wonder how they are going to do an elimination on Monday, since they have already done the elimination which would normally happen at the end of Monday's show. I've seen some people are beginning to worry it will be a twitter vote.

• Love 1

Since tptb have stated on the DWTS website that there will be an elimination by the end of the show and I can't see them having 2 votes on Monday, one for week 3 and another for week 4, the only thing that would make sense is a judges' choice for elimination for week 3 and regular voting applies to week 4.

Edited by Uke

What would make sense is to not have an elimination at all and do a double one down the line if need be.  Because if they have it solely based on scores this week, or let the judges decide, people are going to flip out.  It's also a lot of additional pressure of the pros/celebs. Are they going to send poor Betsey home based solely on a judges decision?  That just seems incredibly mean.

And a big fat no to any sort of twitter voting.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

What would make sense is to not have an elimination at all and do a double one down the line if need be.  Because if they have it solely based on scores this week, or let the judges decide, people are going to flip out.  It's also a lot of additional pressure of the pros/celebs. Are they going to send poor Betsey home based solely on a judges decision?  That just seems incredibly mean.

And a big fat no to any sort of twitter voting.

Ahh yes, my earlier statement was unclear.

The only thing I can think of is a dance-off by the 2 lowest scored couples. But all the couples would have to prep for that and none of the couples have mentioned it, as far as I've heard.  Agree-no to twitter voting.

One other possibility is that someone needs to drop out. I haven't heard of any injuries except for Bethany's ankle but according to Derek's blog, they are moving forward on their dance.

Edited by Uke

The new thing the show is starting tonight. It is just for fun this week, but I assume will be for real next week, if it works.

From the DWTS FAQs:

7. How does the ‘You Raise The Paddle’ scoring app work?

This season on Dancing With The Stars we are giving you the opportunity to be the judge and score each couple alongside the judges during the East/Central broadcast of the show. Visit http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/you-raise-the-paddle at 8/7c to score the couples’ performances as they are showcased during the show. During the 9.29.14 episode your score will just be for fun and will have no impact on the couples’ real score.

You must be logged in to you Facebook account to score. You may score each couple only once.

The scoring windows for each couple will open at the start of their performance and remain open for 2 minutes and 15 seconds, so stay tuned and keep your ‘You Raise The Paddle’ page open. The page will update automatically when it’s time to score each couple.

During the scoring window for each couple, you will see boxes numbered 1 to 10. To score the couple, select a number (10 being the highest, 1 being the lowest) and select the Submit button. You will then see a page thanking you for your score with the option to share the fact you scored on Facebook or Twitter. You do not have to share your score for it to register.

You Raise The Paddle scoring will not be open outside of the East/Central broadcast, so if you are viewing the page outside of the 8-10p ET/7-9p CT times you will not be able to play along.

8. How will the scoring work?

During each scoring window, select a score (10 being the highest, 1 being the lowest) and submit it. At the end of the scoring window for each couple we will calculate an average score, taken from all the audience scores.

This is just for fun, right? All I see is a bunch of Hough fans giving Janel 1s and Chmerkovskiy fans doing the same for Bethany.

Yes, I think that's exactly what will happen. I just don't understand why they're making such an effort to distract people from watching the show by fussing around with their website and facebook during the show.

• Love 1

So based on what Tom said, whoever goes home tonight was one before Tavis, who last place right? Since according to him the elimination will be based on last week's judges' scores and last week's voting. And since I'm positive no voting was open after last week's show, I guess it will reveal who was the real bottom two. Also with both Betsey and Michael (ugh) already safe, I'm guessing there will be a "surprise" elimination since I'm positive Tommy will also be safe. Also, after seeing Betsey's beautiful dance tonight, I'm beyond over Michael. 

I know every season there's the older fun person, usually a guy who's not the best dancer who sticks around and it's fine or whatever. But with both Tommy and Betsey actually dancing and doing pretty well for their age, I have zero patience for Michael's crappy bumbling around that in no way resembles dancing. On top of that he's annoying and not funny. I mean I love Emma but just no...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

As a person who all her life has gotten the "why do you look so angry, why are you so serious all the time", I kind of feel bad for Bethany that people are judging her as a bitch or whatever because the camera happens to catch her with her serious face. Unless she is seen openly reacting to something or says something bitchy, i think it's kind of unfair to just assume she's mad or pissy or being bitchy or whatever. Girl's mind might be a million miles away and she doesn't even realize the camera's on her.

Val and Janel's dance was really good. That drama about the dance was messed up though. Why would the West Side Story people bother giving the rights if they're going to make all those stipulations, have all those issues and the producers should have done a better job securing the song and the rights and knowing what could and could not be done. That said, as good as the dance was, after three dances I feel like I've only seen one speed from Janel. I want to see something soft, slow and gentle from her next.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Ditto that on Bethany's Resting Bitch Face. I will forever give a pass to RBF'd contestants, and I'll even take my own advice and swallow my annoyance at Antonio's perpetual Whiny Bitch Face. (Though that's backed up with actual whining in the clips packages, and I still hope he's out tonight).

• Love 1

I don't think Janel's dance was worth a perfect score. Bethany's RBF grates, but she's likely not aware of it. Randy never seems to be smiling either. 

Edit: NOW it's obvious that someone spiked the water. Seriously? All 10s for Bethany? 

Edited by Stitsch
  • Love 3

As good as Janel's dance was, am I the only one that wouldn't have given that straight 10's?  It was basically a musical theatre number with a lot of acting and posing, and Janel performed it amazingly, but I'm not sure I'd say there was tons of actual dancing going on.  Then again, musical theatre is what Janel does for a living basically so I'm not exactly shocked that she would excel here.

I love Tommy, but he got a higher score than Alfonso.  Hmmm.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

A perfect 40 for Janel and Bethany on WEEK 3? Please. It's like they want Val to be the new Derek. Or they're really hurting for viewer votes.

Doing a jazz routine on movie night seems like a cop out. It's like tptb said "here's a movie song, go ahead and recreate the movie". That takes no imagination or creativity. I'm a little surprised they made such a fuss about Val and Janel not being able to pay homage to West Side Story (which still looked like West Side Story to me) but then let Bethany and Derek basically recreate Singin' In the Rain. What's up with that?

• Love 6

Gee, how pissed off do you think Val is...couldn't even enjoy that perfect score for one night. That said, both of those dances were overscored. I think Janel and Val deserved maybe one 10, likely from Kevin and all 9's and Derek and Bethany deserved only 9's. Once again, like last week, I feel like Bethany's dances are a bit shorter than some others. 

Btw, lmao at Kevin's giving Tommy that 10. Tommy has 34 points people. That's so awesome and that's why the random fourth celebrity judges are always amusing. They don't give a crap about technique and stuff and just score what they like. Calling it right now, the old folks are gonna knock out a bunch of folks. 

It was basically a musical theatre number with a lot of acting and posing, and Janel performed it amazingly, but I'm not sure I'd say there was tons of actual dancing going on.

Well remember it was a jazz number and a lot of jazz numbers can be pretty theatrical. Honestly with that overscoring of both Janel and Bethany, I'm starting to wonder if they aren't getting a lot of viewer votes or the old folks are really killing it with the votes and the judges are trying to ensure something wonky doesn't happen like Betsey outlasting Janel. Or they just wanted to create some watercooler moment. 

eta: Had a feeling it would be Randy. Man, poor Karina. Two seasons in a row. And she's so gorgeous to watch too. Oh well. Btw, did anyone else see Tommy telling Peta after sniffing her that she smelt like Maks? That's gonna piss off some people. Tommy all up in Peta's business. 

I'm a little surprised they made such a fuss about Val and Janel not being able to pay homage to West Side Story (which still looked like West Side Story to me) but then let Bethany and Derek basically recreate Singin' In the Rain. What's up with that?

The West Side Story people apparently after saying yes, called and said that Val and Janel could not dance to the first song they'd already choreographed and then they said that they couldn't recreate parts of the performance and do any of the recognizable choreography. So it wasn't the producers of DWTS who didn't allow Val and Janel to pay homage.

Of course like I said above, I don't know why the WSS people would bother giving their okay in the first place and then create all this issue after and the producers themselves should have had a better handle on this. As for Derek and Bethany, well apparent;y any of Gene Kelly's work is especially hard to get rights to but his widow specifically gave her okay so that's why they were able to do the full homage.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Okay, seriously?  Neither Janel nor Bethany were perfect score worthy in my book.  Also could this show be any more scripted if they tried?  Yes.  Let's give both Chmerkovskiy and Hough perfect scores doing the same dance.  That won't egg on the fan rivalry at all.

Alfonso and Sadie were both a bit underscored in my book.  They should have at least seen 9's if the other two were going to get all 10's.

• Love 8

I'd say it's pretty clear this show has lost all dance integrity. Go with the personalities, effort,  and the stories. For me, that's why it grates when they have such questionable 'stars' and those who I would categorize as 'objectionable stars.' To make matters worse, you can't catch up online (a public TV channel mind you) unless you carry a higher level cable package. I think ABC is doing everything it can to push me away.

There is no reason at all why Bethany should have gotten much more than a 6 for the handjive/umbrella toss.  Content was nonexistent.  As usual. Show, this is why we have this love/hate relationship.  I love the dancing, but hate the favortism.  Bleh

• Love 7

This night has me all kinds of annoyed!!  Sadie was lowballed on her scores while Janel and Bethany were totally overscored.

What was jazz about either of their routines?  Janel did a production number and Bethany twirled an umbrella.  If those were jazz then why wasn't Sadie's jazz last week?

I will always believe that Derek Hough has something on someone in production.

• Love 4

Neither couple deserved a perfect score, IMO. The highest I'd have given both would be a 9 and only because other couples were overscored with 8s.

I was watching SCD videos on YouTube because of Tristan and they actually utilize the 3s, 4s, and 5s in the first week. I wish they'd do that here because it gives couples more room to grow over the weeks, but I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

Can't believe Randy is gone. Dang. I thought it would be Antonio. Cheryl's fan base must be keeping him in because I've found him very forgettable so far.

• Love 1

Dammit.  I really wanted Randy to stick around. Now we're stuck with effing Michael Waltripping around for another week. I used up all my votes for Randy last week.  Dammit. 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 4

Well tonight didn't do a thing for me. And those dances got 10s because Len wasn't there, I am convinced, I may not always like the old fart but I don't see him giving either of those dances a perfect score.

What a terrible song they gave Alfonso for his Quickstep, but he pulled it out I thought though the scores were too low, stupid low in fact compared to the other scores given out tonight.

So Alison and Jonathan almost went home tonight, maybe that'll teach little miss "I was brought on to impart my different style on the show" to humble herself and when given a dance to try and do it and not whatever the hell she feels like. And she went to Mark for advice/comfort? Really? Good grief, poor Jonathan.

• Love 2

This was the first night I liked Michael.  He actually did a decent job and the jokey stuff was toned down.  Poor Randy, he always looked so intense when not dancing.  I thought Lea was going to fall out of her top. Agree, those 2 girls did not deserve 10s. 

Jonathons song was horrible.  I'm impressed she could choreograph anythingto it. It was not a tango tune.  And how awesome is Tommy?!?  I can never recognize Betsy when she doesn't have her hair all frizzed out!

Edited by Ripley68

I was having a blast until Derek and Bethany went. Not only did he not showcase her at all but she didn't even get to dance to a movie theme she wanted. All the Hough love is another reason for me not to tune in next year. I think Lea will probably be out next week because once again she was in the middle and the scores were just ok. Also I don't think the placement is based on props setting up the stage it's all about who they want/like. The final 2 is going to be Bethany and Janel. They have the young fans and they have the popular pros. Line of the night goes to Tommy: "I smell Maks." 

• Love 3

Four 10s for that umbrella twirling crap? I'm sorry, but there was very little dancing difficulty in that number. The steps were super simple and I saw nothing worthy of a single 10, let along a perfect 40! The judges are just too biased in favor of their Golden Boy. That guest judge was ridiculously unqualified and Julianne needs to just disappear along with her ugly hairstyles and outfits.

• Love 7
Jonathons song was horrible.

Horrible for a tango yes but my favorite song of all the songs danced to tonight. But then again I'm biased because I think The Great Gatsby soundtrack was amazing from beginning to end.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Doing a jazz routine on movie night seems like a cop out. It's like tptb said "here's a movie song, go ahead and recreate the movie". That takes no imagination or creativity. I'm a little surprised they made such a fuss about Val and Janel not being able to pay homage to West Side Story (which still looked like West Side Story to me) but then let Bethany and Derek basically recreate Singin' In the Rain. What's up with that?

I can't remember all the details but Robbins' choreography has a copyright or something like that and there are very strict rules around WSS and dancing. Its a big deal and someone from ABC should have figured it out long before Val had a whole number put together. I actually loved their number. I'm not a WSS person, but I thought she was the star of that number and really took ownership of the stage. The dancing could have been more complex, but I still loved it. Maybe two 10s instead of four would have been reasonable, but I think it was the most memorable number of the night.

The show didn't become Dancing with the Dancers when I wasn't looking right? Because Allison and Derek made their numbers, the packages, the comments all about themselves and not at all about highlighting their partner. The only comments Jonathan made the entire time were about Allison, Allison got the bulk of the judges comments and Allison was the one who keeps talking with Erin. STOP! Derek did a little better at least including Bethany in his Gene Kelly fantasy, but come on. I do not believe for a single minute she has seen Singin' in the Rain, can name the female lead, or even knew who Gene Kelly was besides some guy name-checked in Vogue. I love the pros, but I still want them to highlight the Stars and the pros who I love the most are the ones who always think about how to make the experience special for their partner.

Betsey and Tommy continue to rule this show. The 70 year olds are killing it. I love that she had another good moment. And he was amazing. Tony is doing a fabulous job using Betsey's strengths and Peta has the sense to trust that Tommy will bring it together for showtime.

Everything I Do I Do It For You isn't in 3/4 time, is it? Its been a long time since I've tried to play that on the piano, but I think its 4/4. It sounded like 4/4. I don't understand why this show doesn't give people appropriate music for the dances they are assigned.

Alfonso was underscored, big time. Lea's sloppy mess was overscored. I missed Len. 

• Love 8

No, the producers actually showed what he said on the screen since he whispered it. So if he didn't say Maks, then put that on the producers who put it on the screen.

Also could this show be any more scripted if they tried?  Yes.  Let's give both Chmerkovskiy and Hough perfect scores doing the same dance.  That won't egg on the fan rivalry at all.

And a quick glance at Tumblr has confirmed that it's already on. Oh what fun...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

My goodness, Tommy Chong is a delight, as is Betsey Johnson. I want those two to last for as long as possible.

I feel like Alphonso getting lowish scores will help him out in the long run, because not only will it help him not look like a ringer, but it'll also give him a nice "redemption" arc with some room to grow.

I mentioned this in a different thread, but if Bethany and Janel's dances tonight got 10s, then Alphonso deserved 11s week one. I don't care if Kevin gives out high scores, because I expect a judge who knows nothing about dance to be generous. The rest have no excuse though - no way would Len have given a 10 to either dance this week. I would not be surprised if Janel ends up as a "surprise" early boot long before the finale.

• Love 5

I'm bummed Randy went - of the "older hunky dudes in their forties" demographic I VASTLY preferred him to Antonio, who always looks absolutely miserable but trying to hide it.

Am I right in that the only 9 that went out all night was Kevin giving one to Betsey? My favorite dances of the night were probably Sadie, Janel and Bethany, but I find it kind of insane that none of them got any 9s, Sadie on the underscored end, Janel & Bethany on the overscored.  

Runners up favorites: Betsey, Tommy, Lea, Alfonso. Alfonso got saddled with the weirdest quickstep song though and Austin Powers is meh. Jonathan & Allison I also liked this week (I love the drama of that song) - but didn't think they did him any favors by making their clips package entirely about Allison.

Bottom: Randy ( :( sad), Antonio, & Michael. Antonio and Michael should be out next. 

Gee, how pissed off do you think Val is...couldn't even enjoy that perfect score for one night.

I'm sure he and The Fam are pissed.  They're probably throwing fits right now.

But yeah, I think both dances were overscored.  They should've gotten 9s across the board.  I wonder if Len were there, would there have been that many 10s tossed about?  Well, maybe for Val and Janel since they're determined to make them happen.

I'm sorry to see Randy go. I was really hoping Jonathan and Alison would be eliminated tonight, nothing personal against him, but Alison becomes more unlikable with each passing week. Someone needs to tell her that this isn't about her, or her journey.

If nothing else, I want Tommy to at least make it to the finals because I have to see what a freestyle from Tommy Chong will look like. I love him and find him weirdly charming.

The rest of the night is sort of a blur. Derek's partner has the personality of a yawn and I can't remember a thing about her. Sadie continues to be adorable and I thought her dance was the best of the night.

• Love 3