Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Duggar To-Do's

Jim Boob is so enamored with having a large clan that he just can't fathom that an outsider may not find it as amusing (the carpet installer). I imagine this job, that took several times longer to compete than normally would, was probably made longer by filming, not just the gaggle of kids "helping". Jim Bob is a dick for not respecting this guy's time. The guy probably showed up to do what he thought was a normal install job, and was persuaded by producers to let them film it and not given the full details of how long it would take and what is involved and all of a sudden, he's three hours into an hour and a half job. I hope he didn't have other paying customers expecting him that day. Watching that whole scene unfold really pissed me off. You know that Boob is a pain in the ass haggler/"bargain hunter" *eyeroll* I bet JB's goal in life is to have his kids collectively (except the girls! They can only make babies/men happy) be able to do things so that he never has to actually pay a professional to do work for him again.

• Love 4

Jim Boob is so enamored with having a large clan that he just can't fathom that an outsider may not find it as amusing (the carpet installer). I imagine this job, that took several times longer to compete than normally would, was probably made longer by filming, not just the gaggle of kids "helping". Jim Bob is a dick for not respecting this guy's time. The guy probably showed up to do what he thought was a normal install job, and was persuaded by producers to let them film it and not given the full details of how long it would take and what is involved and all of a sudden, he's three hours into an hour and a half job. I hope he didn't have other paying customers expecting him that day. Watching that whole scene unfold really pissed me off. You know that Boob is a pain in the ass haggler/"bargain hunter" *eyeroll* I bet JB's goal in life is to have his kids collectively (except the girls! They can only make babies/men happy) be able to do things so that he never has to actually pay a professional to do work for him again.

I felt so bad for the carpet installer. He looked incredibly uncomfortable with being on camera to begin with, and then he has to essentially give away the secrets/tricks of his trade to a family that openly plans on using them to install their own carpets in the future. If I were the installer, I would have just backed out of filming right then and there. JB was very disrespectful and the fact that he would happily take away business from that company just makes me so annoyed.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 4

Given that TLC plays with the time frame so much, I'm actually willing to bet the mobile was being made closer to real time and they were just using it as a "wedding gift" to fit it into the current shows for pay day reasons.

• Love 6

This is shaping up to be the ugliest, most backwards wedding that I have ever seen. I don't like one choice they've made so far

Well, it looks like they picked a nice church for the wedding...much too nice for dirty bare feet going down the aisle!

Did anyone catch the scene where Anna is putting an apron on MacKynzie and she said it was from Grandma Keller, and Anna corrected her that it was from "Grandma Duggar"? Well, when that girl was born, I made a comment about it being only a matter of time when she would be fitted for her own apron and feather duster... Can't believe that it came to be. How sadly ironic that the apron was from Michelle. She is asserting her expectations of Mac already and is preparing her to be an "M-slave".

I wonder if Anna will subscribe to that and be just like Michelle? I wasn't happy to see that little girl already with an apron of her own....we know what that means in that family..

I think there was more than one scene shot regarding that mobile. It was going to be used a fill and fluff for an episode to come...so they shot it to fit either situation. I think there was more than one script filmed. JMO

Did anyone catch the scene where Anna is putting an apron on MacKynzie and she said it was from Grandma Keller, and Anna corrected her that it was from "Grandma Duggar"? Well, when that girl was born, I made a comment about it being only a matter of time when she would be fitted for her own apron and feather duster... Can't believe that it came to be. How sadly ironic that the apron was from Michelle. She is asserting her expectations of Mac already and is preparing her to be an "M-slave".

I wonder if Anna will subscribe to that and be just like Michelle? I wasn't happy to see that little girl already with an apron of her own....we know what that means in that family..

I'm willing to give them a pass on the aprons. When my daughters were small they always wanted to help when I baked (which was an occasional weekend thing because, you know, I worked). My mom found kid-sized aprons and bought them for the kids. They loved having their own that fit. We don't have sahms in my family: we're raised to bring home the bacon as well as cook it up in the pan ;-) But still have aprons. At least Michael had one as well, which I think I heard was from grandma Keller. Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 2

Why wonder? Anna has already said, in a previous episode, that having Mackynzie help in the kitchen was useful, because "one day she would be making dinner" and not Anna. These people are nothing short of disturbing.

• Love 3

As everyone who lives and works in a white collar job setting knows, gender roles can get complicated quickly. Yes, right now it's still simple with Josh going to work and Anna staying home. But their children, even homeschooled and relatively sheltered, will know and interact far more women who work and still balance a home life, and the boys won't be laying carpet in Daddy's rental house and call that learning a trade. Josh and Anna are effectively in no man's land when it comes to easily determining what roles their children take on. Could just as easily be Michael in the kitchen in 10-12 years.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

That mobile was stupid. I'm sorry. I love crafts and involving children. But, that wasn't crafted well and it was fugly. It was also a choking hazard. Who in their right mind would hang a mobile with crapily, not even hot glue, glued buttons on foam? Anyone who crafts knows that it's damn near impossible to glue plastic to that cheap craft foam. I rewound and paused to see if they sewed the buttons on and they did not. Also unsafe, the teeny pony beads knotted on by a 3 year old. That plastic lanyard cord is also not recommended for use with children under three. If you want to get the couple a cute mobile, then get them a mobile or spend some time making it well. The wild colors didn't match the theme at all. If you're going to do a Nepalese mobile, try using materials and symbolism from Nepal instead of Wal-MART.

YES. The carpet guy was annoyed. I would be, too. Jim Bob seems to think that his virility and minor celebrity mean people WANT to be part of the dog and pony show. He acts like he's entitled to special deals and treatment. If you want your kids to learn how to lay carpet, send one of the older boys to get a job with a carpet layer. Have that child work hard for a professional and gain a skill legitimately. The guy who carpeted the Stoneybrook house is a small business owner and Jim Bob took advantage of him! Does Jim Bob truly believe that this man wanted to spend extra time away from his own family, and other jobs, just to teach the Howlers how to lay carpet. Additionally, there are sharp blades, hot irons, and other dangerous tools for laying carpet. Did Jim Bob stop to think about this guy's liability or insurance? There are restrictions placed on businesses to protect children from injury. Jim Bob doesn't give a carp about that business owner. Shameful!

What the hell is the cop drama? Jim Bob driving with an expired license? PRANK? My money's on some prank. Another example of tax payer money being used to create b.s. drama. Because, how would a camera crew have been perfectly positioned to capture the Duggar-mobile being nabbed by a patrol car?

• Love 6

mimionthebeach: I understand your pass on the aprons, if you were referring to a normal family. I wanted one too as a kid. Remember we are talking about the Duggars here, and an apron on Mac means, she will be responsible for the family's meals VERY SOON, if Anna follows Michelle's poor lazy example. "M-slave in training".

Did Jim Bob stop to think about this guy's liability or insurance? There are restrictions placed on businesses to protect children from injury. Jim Bob doesn't give a carp about that business owner. Shameful!

I was thinking about this, too, when one of the children was using a hammer and nails. God forbid one of the children got seriously injured during the installation, the man's company would have to face legal ramifications.The state would wonder why children and adults were assisting.

• Love 3

<----Longtime lurker & Duggar watcher from the very 1st episode that aired.  I don't think I saw anyone else say this (& if so please pardon the double posting) but before they started the tea party Jill's wedding dress box was already opened up there on the floor at the end of the counter top.  In the background you can see the crumbled brown paper that's stuffed inside on top of the dining room table.  Then once the girls are trying on their dresses it disappears, moments later "oh my goodness my wedding dress is here!"  I'm pretty positive it's the box because: the labels on the box are in the same place and also the bottom of the box has brown tape & there's only one layer of clear tape across the top that the little girls popped open so quickly & easily.  I've done shipping & receiving for a company before & if it was an expensive item every edge/flap gets taped because other dirt can get in or the product damaged. 

• Love 7

I rewound to look and the box with the wedding dress was not in the delivery persons cart. They all had amazom.com tape on them and her dress box did not. Fake out!

Edited by AnnieGirl
  • Love 5

Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph! By the time the show the actual wedding Jill and Derrick will already have three kids or more. An episode for picking out shoes, what is next one dedicated on picking out pantyhose. Just wondering do you think they served big bowls of pickles at the reception?

• Love 2

I wonder if TLC is showing all the wedding planning because they know it's hideous. Maybe they are trying to make fools of the Duggars. They didn't spend near as much time showing the Little Couple or Roloff wedding planning. Both of these weddings were much nicer than Jill's. Maybe TL C thinks the story is in how bad the Duggar wedding is.

I"d love this to be the case.  Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Love 1

Does anyone else think they may have been lying when they asked John-David about any special someones?  They've made several mentions of the fact he's still single this season, and when they asked him he made a passing remark of "well I wouldn't tell you anyways" or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if right after Jessa/Bin's wedding is the announcement of his courtship/engagement.

I rewound to look and the box with the wedding dress was not in the delivery persons cart. They all had amazom.com tape on them and her dress box did not. Fake out!

I thought I saw a Bed Bath & Beyond box.  Did Jill have a registry there, too?

Yea, did you hear one of the girls say something about it's Jills daily delivery.  Yea, waiting on the gift truck from all your devoted fans. 

• Love 3

Nah. They prob left those pickles in a jar 'cuz that's more hipster.

Jill's "vintage" like that.

Funny you should mention pickles in a jar.  These were for their reception.

bc515a55fae1daaa434c.jpg

eta:  Picture found on Pickles and Hairspray

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 3

Did I hear Joy and Jana correctly? The house rule is for their toes to be covered? Now I'm totally confused.

I quit watching this show a few years ago, mainly because of the utterly ridiculous beliefs and ideas that this family has. Do you mean to tell me that they now believe toes can cause someone to have sexual thoughts?

I was also assuming the mobile was made after they knew Jill was pregnant already, and made to seem like a wedding gift.  But the comments by Mckynzie (urgh, just typing that hurts!) about the wedding coming up were puzzling...hmmmm....

And oh my, now we're filming laying carpet.  It's mind boggling that this is even being packaged and sold as a tv show.  (yet, I watched!)

• Love 3

Did I hear Joy and Jana correctly? The house rule is for their toes to be covered? Now I'm totally confused.

I quit watching this show a few years ago, mainly because of the utterly ridiculous beliefs and ideas that this family has. Do you mean to tell me that they now believe toes can cause someone to have sexual thoughts?

"We know Jimbob's main  marriage advice is "be fruitful and multiply." "  Anna said this and Josh laughed. It sounded to me really snarky. Like my in-laws they don't have much advice to offer.  I agree with Anna the mobile is really tacky, but in this case it didn't bother me. If it was anyone else (other than a young Miss Duggar), I would be so angry on  their be half. 

"I think some people  we (they) have to be pregnant to feel validated." holy moly Anna you're rocking my world. Seriously I was shocked she said it. 

"Right now I'm enjoying the three I have." Anna again making much sense. 

I would LOVE to see Michelle and JimBob watch this episode and give their take. Seriously TLC needs to make this happen. One of those Q and A like Sister wives does.

I think Anna:

1) Loves her kids enough to not want to saddle them with the "buddy system" that Michelle is so fond of.

2) Doesn't have the mental problems that Michelle has.

• Love 1

I think Joy and Jana were kidding about covering the feet, because those girls are always in flip flops or barefoot (especially in the house). It's so funny that they kind of roll their eyes at the idea of feet being indecent, given the preponderance of foot fetishists in the world!

• Love 3

I honestly believe when the camera are not around they are a typical family....they have computers, IPhones twitter etc.  They are no more sheltered than any other teen out there.  It is a job and when the 'season' is over they enjoy the wealth they have from acting and wear normal clothes and laugh on the way to the bank.

I don't think it's just a job. I know someone in the town who is not a fan but will say that they stick to themselves, dress the way they do in the show and are actually pretty reclusive and quiet in person, but very pleasant.

I don't think they have the same media or computer access as an "average" American teenager, but it's pretty clear that the younger ones lives aren't nearly as sheltered or strictly disciplined as the older ones were.

• Love 2

I was reading the posts about the carpet installer and it occurred to me that JB had this house on the market -- for a lot of money -- didn't he?

Why weren't the floors done? The house was beyond filthy a few weeks ago when they went to clean -- weren't the shoveling up construction debris? They've had the house for a couple of years, haven't they?

Also, IMHO, the cheap carpet is a bad idea. If they were just going to put it on the market, it might be okay; buyers would probably prefer to choose their own anyway. If Jill and Derick are going to live there for a couple of years, the carpet will look worn and shabby pretty quickly with all of her siblings coming and going, not to mention a baby.

If they had just put down hardwood, it would still look good two years from now and they wouldn't have to pay to re-carpet.

• Love 2

I really wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are much more aware of the world than they let on. I could have sworn that Jessa said "Winning" at some point during shoe shopping.

I agree, especially Josh and Anna. It seems like Anna is trying awfully hard to be the anti-Michelle lately. She specifically stated she doesn't need a horde of children to be happy and she's made it a big point to showcase herself feeding the M'kids healthy, organic food. I'd bet my house that they're reading the blogs and have a pretty good idea of how fed up most people are with this family.

• Love 1

I'm sure all those Amazon boxes were gifts from the Duggars' groupies. I wonder how much of that crap ended up staying at the TTH.

Jill asked for over twenty sets of towels. I believe she asked for 40, but I'm not going back to that registry to double-check. She also asked for THREE complete sets of kitchen knives, one of which was sans block. Three irons, too. In other words, her parents re-stocked their home, too.

• Love 3

In other words, her parents re-stocked their home, too.

I can't believe I didn't realize that sooner, but that makes a hell of a lot more sense than Jill needing 60 knives.  The towels made some sense, since midwives seem to need a lot of those, but now that she's retired, I wonder how many of those were made into "love offerings" for the family. 

I'm still really disappointed in them for not accepting charitable donations in lieu of wedding and baby gifts.  I always took Jessa for very selfish, but I thought Jill bought into the JOY thing.

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 1

I will say that personally, I'm not at all interested in contributing to a charity on behalf of a couple on their marriage. (I don't do it I lieu of flowers at a funeral either.). I think it's perfectly appropriate not to want or need any gifts and tell people that, but to me, charity is far more personal than a set of towels, and asking for that is far more presumptuous.

Fair enough, but what bothers me is the fact that they're showing the same materialistic greed the others in their families have shown.  I'm not saying anyone has to donate; I'm saying I'm bothered by the fact that they're okay with asking for a bunch of useless shit they don't need for themselves, from total strangers, but despite bragging about how they put Jesus and others first, when given an opportunity to actually do that, they don't even try. 

• Love 5

Don't get me wrong -- I think the registries are appalling -- 1) because they make them public.  2) because they open them immediately and 3) take every opportunity to advertise them short of putting the links on television.  I really thought it was thoughtless and bordering on pathological that Jill opened her baby gift registry while Jessa's still planning her wedding.  It sounds rather contradictory - if I'm against the registries, I should be against them, but I thought it was excessively selfish for her not to even share any of the timing with her sister.

But while I think the Duggars are hypocritical on this (and many other things) I also think plenty of people who snark on them (and I snark on them too) like to be self-righteous too.  (Not speaking about anyone in particular, just a general comment.)

• Love 2

It was a total bitch move for Jill to put up a baby registry the same time Jessa did her wedding registry.

When they were shopping for the bridesmaids dresses, Jessa had a stank attitude the whole time. I also loved her snarky comment about how ridiculous she thought it was that she and Jinger had to wear faux shawls when trying on the strapless dresses. Jana was clearly pissed that she got stuck doing the alterations and didn't bother to muster up even fake enthusiasm when Jill asked her to be MOH. I'm definitely starting to think these girls aren't besties the way Michelle claims. The cracks are starting to show.

• Love 1

Seeing some bad attitudes among Jana, Jessa, Jinger and Jill makes them seem more real to me. As much as I love my two sisters, and as close as we are, sometimes they make me so mad.  We can also be competitive with each other.  I hope the four Duggar sisters stay close as their lives change.  I shared a room with my sisters and we had arguments about space and messes.  The difference is we went to school.  We had outside friends and individual activities and interests.

It's hard enough to get along living "normal" lives.  I can't imagine being together as much as this family is. 

• Love 1

I am actually one of three sisters and we are very close. And we've observed that when there are four sisters close in age that isn't that great. I'm not snarking on the Duggar girls here. Try reading LITTLE WOMEN and you'll see the same thing! :)

• Love 2

I think Jill thinks it's totally awesome that she's the first sister to get married. I can see her being sweetly passively-aggressively humblebraggy and putting Jana right off. She's a bridezilla insofar as she is loving being the center of attention, she's so excited with her plans. It kind of looks like she's forgotten that other people have feelings or the older sisters exist for any other reason than to serve her through this awesome time. She's always been the good girl but she knows how to work the system (her family) to get whatever she wants. She's totally MEchelle's daughter... which also explains why she's Boob's favourite.

I agree with XrystalPond. These kids don't trust each other. It's one of the ways their parents have kept control over them.

• Love 6

Probably. It's a truism in these cultures that you are supposed to say, "Sex is great! But you can't have any until you're married !!" Just ask any teenage raised in a fundamentalist or evangelical household. I was kind of amused by all the shocked comments about JB and Michelle with Jessa and Ben on the golfing "double date." That sort of teasing can be pretty typical in some youth groups and churches, unfortunately. I will say that usually you are spared from hearing it from your parents, but since the Duggars don't believe I'm letting their children interact with real churches with ministers, youth pastors or Sunday School teachers, I suppose hearing that from your parents is the default.

I'd like to think SOMEONE took Jill aside and helped her out. And that maybe when she came back to her sisters, she was telling the truth, and explained why and how.