Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E01: Suck It Up And Survive

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I’m wondering if Dale intentionally brought his reading glasses for the sole purpose to use them to start a fire, if necessary, because really why else would you bring reading glasses on Survivor?  Sure there could be some challenge that involved reading, but not all that likely.  And someone else can always read the mail. 

I did like how he grabbed the emblem on the well lid “just because” it might be something (since that was not seen on other seasons) to help find an idol.  Too bad for Val though, since now she’s going to be confused as to what her clue referred since the emblem is gone. Maybe Dale will see Val looking for something and realize its probably the emblem and they can share info.  I’m presuming the emblem wasn’t the actual idol, since that really would have been too easy.

That was rather crafty of Val to throw Keith off the scent as to what her urn paper said, and he was pretty clueless to think it only pertained to her camp and not “both” camps, since he could have gotten that message instead of her.

While I know production picks the clothes the contestants wear, the contestants still have to bring the clothes in the first place.  So did the one woman have to bring a frilly blouse?  Couldn’t she have found some other, more suitable, blouse to bring?  Even my 10 year old was going on about how stupid the choice was, along with wearing the buff as a tube top.

Obviously the “random” drawing of teams was done pre-clothing because it was ‘just amazing’ how all the blue-toned clothed persons ended up on the blue tribe and all the yellow/pink toned clothed persons ended up on the yellow tribe.  Showing us the ‘random’ picking of teams was just that, showing us an re-enactment.

I’m guessing Josh voted Baylor so he didn’t have to be the swing vote.  He probably told Baylor that he’d been asked to join ‘both’ alliances and what the men were doing, and probably what he preferred choice was.  By seeing how she voted, obviously for Nadiya, he now knows she’s loyal to him over the women.

He was referring to the fake cover name he was using (Wetland, or something similar).

The really clunky part about that is that the pitcher (that the kid should have known was NOT on the Braves...) he was momentarily hiding behind is John Wetteland. Much older than Rocker, on the Yankees and with nine letters to his last name. Methinks John Rocker is not so bright.

Also re: clothing, I always wonder why people don't show up in more sensible clothes, often with fancy shoes. I guess production just likes to mess with people. Ah-HA! You can wear your suit coat and long pants! You can wear a frilly blouse etc.

Edited by Wandering Snark

I certainly hope it isn't the Idol, because that would be pretty damn lame, having the thing just tied to the lid of the water tank, right out in the open. Hidden? I think not.

It could be the idol.  didn't Val's clue say something about it being near the well????

The really clunky part about that is that the pitcher (that the kid should have known was NOT on the Braves...) he was momentarily hiding behind is John Wetteland. Much older than Rocker, on the Yankees and with nine letters to his last name. Methinks John Rocker is not so bright.

Also re: clothing, I always wonder why people don't show up in more sensible clothes, often with fancy shoes. I guess production just likes to mess with people. Ah-HA! You can wear your suit coat and long pants! You can wear a frilly blouse etc.

Funny, John Rocker didn't want to admit that he was JOHN ROCKER.  Wettleland should sue him for defamation.

• Love 3

I did like how he grabbed the emblem on the well lid “just because” it might be something (since that was not seen on other seasons) to help find an idol.  Too bad for Val though, since now she’s going to be confused as to what her clue referred since the emblem is gone. Maybe Dale will see Val looking for something and realize its probably the emblem and they can share info.  I’m presuming the emblem wasn’t the actual idol, since that really would have been too easy.

Thanks for mentioning this because I completely missed the connection between Val's clue & the thingy Dale took.

I disagreed with Dale's reasoning for voting Nadiya out.

His unstated reasoning was "her, not me," and it's hard to argue with that.

For sure. I just thought it was an odd way of trying to get her out. "I know what she'll be like, so we should get rid of her." That's the opposite of the reasoning people tend to use on Survivor. Still, first boot, so no one's going to fight too hard to keep someone, lest they end up becoming the target.

Edited by Hera
  • Love 1
I’m wondering if Dale intentionally brought his reading glasses for the sole purpose to use them to start a fire, if necessary, because really why else would you bring reading glasses on Survivor?  Sure there could be some challenge that involved reading, but not all that likely.  And someone else can always read the mail.

My only guess is that some of the puzzles might have smaller details that would be hard for him to see, but overall? I don't think they'd be much use. So you might very well be right about his motivation.

It's occurred to me that the HII might be in two parts in the following way - the emblem that Dale took is the II, and the NOTE is buried, with the note being a riddle that essentially says that the HII is there, tied to the lid of the water cooler.   Wouldn't that be cute.

I believe that what Dale took is significant in some way, even if it's just used as a decoy HII.  They would not bother to show it (or put it there) if it weren't.

Dale has the symbol for water as shown in Val's clue and the other part of the clue showed a symbol = dig.  That seems like it might be a 2 part clue.  With Dale having one part, not sure how Val will figure it out.  There may be more symbols for water around camp, too.  Time will tell!  

It could be the idol.  didn't Val's clue say something about it being near the well????

It's occurred to me that the HII might be in two parts in the following way - the emblem that Dale took is the II, and the NOTE is buried, with the note being a riddle that essentially says that the HII is there, tied to the lid of the water cooler.   Wouldn't that be cute.

I believe that what Dale took is significant in some way, even if it's just used as a decoy HII.  They would not bother to show it (or put it there) if it weren't.

My guess: the emblem was simply a "flag" of some significance to someone in possession of the clue. Something like, "Where you see the sign of water, go ten paces north to the tall tree's daughter."

• Love 1
My guess: the emblem was simply a "flag" of some significance to someone in possession of the clue. Something like, "Where you see the sign of water, go ten paces north to the tall tree's daughter."

Yea, I figured it might be an indicator she was in the right spot, something like that. It would kind of make me laugh if that were the case, and now Dale has it. Although, we've seen people find II with NO clues, so it's not the end of the world entirely. 

This has me imagining a scenario where some poor production assistant had to keep moving the idol every time Dale moved the reference point.  (Although I'm sure that wasn't what would have happened.)

It's possible he brought them just for typical survival stuff like starting a fire or any of the other number of things glasses could be used for (make fish hook, small knife.  Even if he didn't, it doesn't really seem strange to bring reading glasses along even if there isn't significant reading to be done.  For one, they'd offer the eyes at least minimal protection.  If there's a strong wind blowing, someone wearing glasses will have a bit less sand blowing in their eyes.  I even wear my reading glasses when my allergies are really bad because for some reason my eyes water less with them on.  For another, performing some tasks might benefit from having that boost of prescription at your eyes.  Shelling a coconut, gutting a fish, putting a puzzle together.  

I assume Dale determined that he could forgo his reading glasses for the rest of the game, perhaps did a cost/benefit analysis and determined that doing everything to stay in now mattered more than needing them later in the game when the heat wouldn't be on him so much since he may not excel at individual challenges.  But, I tell ya, if I'm a contestant on Survivor I'm going to be damn sure I include as many things as are allowed in my bag.  Even if I didn't normally use glasses, I'd still pack a pair.  You never know when something will turn out to be handy.  

• Love 2

I don't remember if it has ever been flat out stated in an interview or not, (pesky NDA,) but I think it is pretty accepted that the producers tell the contestants what to wear that first day - even if they're being told it's for a photo shoot.  (When it's not.  See: Lil.)  I personally suspect that some poor PA has to check the contestants to make sure that they're not wearing a swimsuit under their designated outfit.

Theoretically production has them choose from outfits they have brought, but I remember reading that there have had to be last minute 'shopping trips,' (to get a swimsuit that production preferred?)  

-----

New topic:  Dalton Ross (from Entertainment Weekly,) has a video interview segment with Peachy that was taped right after tribal concluded.  At least two questions are answered - but as they are quasi-official, I'm going to spoiler tag:

Josh said (probably during the writing of the vote, that Dalton heard but Peachy didn't,) that he changed his vote based upon something that Baylor said during Tribal Council.  So it looks as if he didn't piss away his vote to avoid being the tie-breaker, he just pissed it away being pissy.

While it may not be the thing that made Josh change his vote, apparently Baylor and Alec are coupling up, and Baylor not only admitted it, but claimed that it shouldn't impact the game.  I believe Dalton (off camera,) even noted, in exasperation, "but that's two votes."  To which Peachy agreed with a, "dumb kids," shake of his head.

Not sure that stuff is a spoiler either but anyway, perhaps Josh didn't piss away his vote per se. Maybe, considering both Dalton and Probst's reaction to Baylor's comment, Josh wrote her name as a warning to her. Like maybe it was to give her a wake up call that "no, this could put you on the chopping block" since they do seem to have some kind of alliance/bond. So maybe seeing her name will make her more aware and alert of what she's doing and saying. Also, I guess the hooking up with Alec explains her not going for the all girl's alliance.

Edited by GenL
Removed spoiler tags. Speculation, not spoiler.

As far as their clothes go, production chooses what you wear from the clothes you brought and they supplement from their stash if you don't bring what they have chosen for your image.  You are in the jaws of wardrobe on this one. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

As far as their clothes go, production chooses what you wear from the clothes you brought and they supplement from their stash if you don't bring what they have chosen for your image. You are in the jaws of wardrobe on this one.

Absolutely! I remember once they told them they were going to a cocktail party and everyone was dressed to the nines, LOL.

• Love 2
For another, performing some tasks might benefit from having that boost of prescription at your eyes.  Shelling a coconut, gutting a fish, putting a puzzle together.

This, definitely.  I would be supremely annoyed if it were my job to winkle bits of meat out of seashells and crab legs and the like, or sew palm fronds together, or any such thing without my reading glasses--and I don't even wear a very strong magnification (1.5 usually).  Reason #15,342 I would never want to go on Survivor.

• Love 3
I'm trying to remember what they call the place the early bootees get sent, since it's not the Ponderosa.

I thought they get sent to the same place, but then clear them out when the jury gets there.

I’m wondering if Dale intentionally brought his reading glasses for the sole purpose to use them to start a fire, if necessary, because really why else would you bring reading glasses on Survivor?

I've always thought I would bring reading glasses on Survivor, and I don't even need them.  I would practice how to start fire with them too.  Not that I'd ever go on this show.

I think they started doing that after the season where they dropped people on the island with no notice.  In the really early seasons they dressed reasonably and were allowed a certain numbers of tops, bottoms, etc.  They used to let them have luxury items too, and the smart people made them practical luxury items.

I thought they get sent to the same place, but then clear them out when the jury gets there.

No, I think the early evictees are sent to a hotel. There were some photos leaked of Kat and a couple of other people at a mall in the nearest city to where they were during that season.

Re: Nadiya & Josh & "Notamangate"

1. I think Josh was wise to not mention TO HER his dislike of her thinking of him as one of the girls. He doesn't yet know her well enough - doesn't know if correcting her will offend her enough to cause her to turn against him. (It's not what got her booted, but he could easily have turned on her for her words)

2. Josh did use the occasion to clue in the millions of viewers that this is a common and incorrect assumption that many people make. Yay for the teaching moment. Really! Way more effective to tell the cameraman instead of the demonstratably clueless tribe mate!

3. I'm so interested at how Nadiya's comments are considered "offensive."(Josh said he didn't like it, not that it offended him)

That word either implies that she is on the offense, or that someone else is taking offense. There is a line of thinking that points out that we have unwittingly developed a culture of taking offense and our culture would be better served by letting it go.....While it is everyone's job to avoid hurting others, it is equally each persons task and to everyone's benefit to never allow yourself to be offended. Some of the reasoning is that no one, not even the most careful of people, can 100% of the time avoid saying the inappropriate/culturally ignorant/best intentioned but clueless remark.

4. That being said, It seems Nadiya has already been told that it is inappropriate to assume gay men are the same as girls just because they like boys but has not gotten it through her thick skull that she needs to stop it. I still think her crime is clueless insensitivity because it's plain that she doesn't mean it offensively.

I am a tribe of one on this point, but I would really not enjoy watching a bunch of people in steadily weathering practical performance wear.  I like when people have some options, yes, but in general the closer to normal clothes the better.  They're on TV: they're wearing costumes.  Make them distinguishable at a glance.

As for the thing Dale found I thought he just grabbed it because it looked "idol-ish" enough to bluff with if necessary.  Good thinking since as the older guy he is of course a target.  I like that both Dale and Keith seem to be there to play, not just to say "well gosh I can't get along with these kids, oh well, s'long everybody"

Really upset that Nadiya is gone, I'm a huge fan of them and I really dont get the hate. They are fun, hilarious, entertaining and beautiful on top of it. I'll miss their dynamic but if Natalie can go far it will make for a great storyline.

I'm curious if any actual gays here are offended by Nadiya's comments, or if it is just the oversensitive, overly paternalistic types who see offense everywhere and all the time? A quick look into their social media or past interviews shows clearly they are not bigots and are extremely well liked by past constestants on TAR such as the Beakmans and the Chippendales.

But please, dont let that stop the stream of righteous indignation.

As a "gay", I can say that I found her comments rather ignorant but I wasn't terribly offended. She just seems like one of those really annoying girls that finds out you're gay and immediately asks you to go shopping with her.

• Love 4

Good first episode overall. Not hating anyone yet, no one had hugely disproportionate amount of screen time, there are no returning players, Redemption Island is gone and we're back to two challenges per episodes, so I'm happy.

As a player, I would have kept "known entity" Nadiya - because she would have been an asset in challenges, is tone deaf enough to potentially alienate people so easy boot later on and hasn't seemed to hold a grunge in the past (she may have a short fuse, but she very quickly gets back to happy mode, and could have been a good person to have on the jury, as she gets that it's-a-game).

Still, I understand why she was chosen as a target by Dale. I don't buy his reasoning and I think that it was more an anybody but me strategy and he was wise to approach multiple people at once, because all these were also thinking anybody but me at that stage and it made it easier for him to get a consensus.

Still, while Wes gets flack (rightfully so) for spelling her name wrong, Dale actually called her Nathalie while the Nadiya necklace was staring at him in the face!

On the topic of clothing, I think production gives the rawest deal to women. Some men are lucky enough to be sent on the island with a suit - that's two layers of upper body clothing! But the ones who are really allowed to choose their own gear, I think, are the returning players, especially ii seasons when they are mixed with newbies and if they are production favorites, it's the (not so) subliminal way of TPTB to tell us that THESE are smart people who thought ahead about what they were going to wear for maximum clothes performance! (Think Stephenie in Guatemala, first example that spring to mind).      

Now some mysteries remain:

1) why Josh voted for Baylor. My theory is that he was testing her - if she votes with him, N goes home; if she doesn't, tie, and he breaks it on revote; problem with my theory is that he would have accomplished his goal in a simpler way by voting for who he wanted out and counting the votes to see who Baylor had voted for. Someone upthread mentioned that this came up in one of Jeff's interviews, but hid it under spoilers, so I didn't look but I'm interested if it's not too spoilery.

2) Why did Baylor vote for N? How is it better for her than voting with the women for Dale?

3) This thing that Dale found, is it the idol and can he use it as such in a bind, the idea being that the parchment stating what it's good for is hidden elsewhere? a decoy (that he could use in a bind to make people think he has the idol)? something else?

I'm glad "loved ones" are separated in different teams on Survivor, because some of the intros (for instance father-daughter who didn't talk for 3 years) were too reminiscent of some of the teams I've enjoyed the least on The Amazing Race.

They are if it's something they take on a daily basis, have a prescription for. Otherwise, the medics will attend to people who fall ill or get bitten by a snake. :)

I was under the impression that there is a medic tent very close by to the camp site, and they manage all the meds.  The survivors go to them for their daily prescriptions and they have other emergency stuff as well.

On the topic of clothing, I think production gives the rawest deal to women.

John Rocker is wearing underpants and how can we forget Philip in his pink skivvies!   

I was under the impression that there is a medic tent very close by to the camp site, and they manage all the meds.  The survivors go to them for their daily prescriptions and they have other emergency stuff as well.

That is true from what I have read in past seasons.  

• Love 1

On the matter of clothing, I think the first episode does the "wear only what you have" but after that production does give both the men and women color coordinated swim wear to match whatever tribe they're on. So hopefully next week I won't have to see Rocker in his gross underwear since he'll have color coordinated swim trunks. Of course even with the trunks, Philip still walked around in his gross pink skivvies so that doesn't always happen. 

• Love 1
On the topic of clothing, I think production gives the rawest deal to women.

John Rocker is wearing underpants and how can we forget Philip in his pink skivvies!

That's also a raw deal for women... viewers.

• Love 5

I seem to remember that Tina Wesson was diabetic, so that would have to be monitored pretty closely. Plus, you hardly ever see anyone in glasses, I think a lot of people must be wearing contacts & that has to be a problem too. I would guess that the medical people are monitoring all sorts of things that we don't know about.

Jeremy's crying about being separated from his wife was freaking ridiculous.   All the crying in this game is bullshit.   How easily these assholes forget there's a world of real misery out there, where every day families are separated by forces beyond their control.  These morons signed up for Survivor.  They fought to be there.  And now once there, they cry?   Fuck them and their histrionics.

• Love 9

Jeremy's crying about being separated from his wife was freaking ridiculous.   All the crying in this game is bullshit.   How easily these assholes forget there's a world of real misery out there, where every day families are separated by forces beyond their control.  These morons signed up for Survivor.  They fought to be there.  And now once there, they cry?   Fuck them and their histrionics.

Not only that, but what really bothered me was that his wife is a Boston cop & he sends a man he doesn't know to "take care of her" because she can't take care of herself? How do you have a career as a cop without knowing how to take care of yourself? Does he follow her around on the job making sure she's OK?

• Love 3

Not only that, but what really bothered me was that his wife is a Boston cop & he sends a man he doesn't know to "take care of her" because she can't take care of herself? How do you have a career as a cop without knowing how to take care of yourself? Does he follow her around on the job making sure she's OK?

That was strategic.  He sent the old guy and most expendable in a move to not alienate his tribe members.  It happened to work out as the perfect cover since he had been so vocal about wanting to protect her.  Lucky break.  

NutMeg, go look under the spoiler tag.  It'll answer two of your questions.  I was trying to be careful and keep the discussion of the episode to stuff that happened on the broadcast television show.  (Old TWoP habits die hard.)  Again, the stuff under those "spoiler" tags aren't spoilers as such - they just don't deal with the show as seen.

That was John, the University of Michigan football player who wore a blue dress shirt, right?

Michigan State.  I usually make this correction in defense of my alma mater, but this year, it's in defense of his.

Having praised the casting directors for choosing "real" people over gorgeous people this time, I will now be a total hypocrite and snark at their looks.  Because I'm so perfect, ya know.

Last season I thought was one of the best in years, and had non-models like Kas, Tony and Spenser at the end.  Maybe Survivor casting is actually reading into this?!? One of them should send a memo to TAR production.

Good first episode.  It appears that the IIs are going to have 2 parts/pieces to them.  Love this fresh idea.  So Dale has the symbol for water and there is a symbol or dig.  That is a head scratcher.

This would be a very interesting twist, therefore I do not think it is true.  Can't trust these CBS producers!

The insects do look awful this year.  One of the women had her legs showing in her TH interviews and her legs looked absolutely chewed to bits.  

I don't remember if it has ever been flat out stated in an interview or not, (pesky NDA,) but I think it is pretty accepted that the producers tell the contestants what to wear that first day - even if they're being told it's for a photo shoot.  (When it's not.  See: Lil.)  I personally suspect that some poor PA has to check the contestants to make sure that they're not wearing a swimsuit under their designated outfit.

Theoretically production has them choose from outfits they have brought, but I remember reading that there have had to be last minute 'shopping trips,' (to get a swimsuit that production preferred?)  

-----

New topic:  Dalton Ross (from Entertainment Weekly,) has a video interview segment with Peachy that was taped right after tribal concluded.  At least two questions are answered - but as they are quasi-official, I'm going to spoiler tag:

Josh said (probably during the writing of the vote, that Dalton heard but Peachy didn't,) that he changed his vote based upon something that Baylor said during Tribal Council.  So it looks as if he didn't piss away his vote to avoid being the tie-breaker, he just pissed it away being pissy.

While it may not be the thing that made Josh change his vote, apparently Baylor and Alec are coupling up, and Baylor not only admitted it, but claimed that it shouldn't impact the game.  I believe Dalton (off camera,) even noted, in exasperation, "but that's two votes."  To which Peachy agreed with a, "dumb kids," shake of his head.

I quoted this because it isn't a spolier but exactly what we are talking about.  Who is peachy? 

Peachy is Probst. Joanna, the original Survivor recapper at TWoP, started calling him Just Peachy early on and it stuck. If you look at her recaps from the early seasons, that's how she always refers to him.

Edited by fishcakes

Dalton Ross is the writer who covers Survivor for Entertainment Weekly. He does a lot of recaps and interviews and I think he's often on location when they're filming the first episode.

Way Wes is talking about Dalton and Jeff's conversation in the video at the end of this article, where they're discussing things that happened at TC and during voting that we didn't see in the TV broadcast.

Thank you.  I haven't missed a season, always read spoilers and have never known about Dalton!  I am glad there are no spoilers this season.  If there are, I have to read them but prefer not knowing because it is more fun to discuss possible strategies and guess as to what will happen next.  Dalton provides just the right amount of insight.  Love this.  

The editor failed to show what Baylor said.  There is no enjoyment in not knowing why Josh voted for her.  We still don't know but at least have a clue that she said something that did not make the edit. 

I've never seen Survivor before and decided to give it a shot since a lot of people on another thread suggested it so I was pleasantly surprised to see they're in San Juan del Sur. I googled and saw they've been there before. I don't understand why they're calling it an island, though, it's a coastal town. Nicaragua is not an island, it has little islands all throughout that are pretty cool and I want one but San Juan del Sur is not one of them. There are a lot of people in that area, it's well known for surfing, fishing, being a tourist location and is close to the border of Costa Rica. I'm trying to figure out if they're in Ometepe which actually is an island. Sorry for the rant, I was excited since I'm from Nicaragua but am surprised by that location being considered "roughing" it considering I go there on vacation.

I'm glad one of the twinnies is gone, they weren't as obnoxious separate but they were getting there. I want either the other twinnie or John out next. As for that guy from Florida that said there's nothing like that here, I guess he's never been to the Everglades.

Edited by willpwr

I've never seen Survivor before and decided to give it a shot since a lot of people on another thread suggested it so I was pleasantly surprised to see they're in San Juan del Sur. I googled and saw they've been there before. I don't understand why they're calling it an island, though, it's a coastal town. Nicaragua is not an island, it has little islands all throughout that are pretty cool and I want one but San Juan del Sur is not one of them. There are a lot of people in that area, it's well known for surfing, fishing, being a tourist location and is close to the border of Costa Rica. I'm trying to figure out if they're in Ometepe which actually is an island. Sorry for the rant, I was excited since I'm from Nicaragua but am surprised by that location being considered "roughing" it considering I go there on vacation.

I'm glad one of the twinnies is gone, they weren't as obnoxious separate but they were getting there. I want either the other twinnie or John out next. As for that guy from Florida that said there's nothing like that here, I guess he's never been to the Everglades.

Sometimes the locations are very remote and other times civilization is very close.   They isolate the camps so they have no contact feel more remote than they actually are.  Jeff has talked about the terrible conditions for the crew in some locations; they often rough it, too, only never as bad as the castaways.  

• Love 1

Sometimes the locations are very remote and other times civilization is very close.   They isolate the camps so they have no contact feel more remote than they actually are.  Jeff has talked about the terrible conditions for the crew in some locations; they often rough it, too, only never as bad as the castaways.  

Interesting. Thank you for that information, like I said, I was confused because it's a small town with some hotels, even a 5 star one where some celebs stay when they go there to surf. If they've managed to stick them in a little area and sequestered them then it makes sense, though.

• Love 1

I'm thinking Jeremy made such a stink about protecting his wife because he was trying to help her with her cover.  She doesn't want anyone to know she is a cop, so he is trying to impress everyone with the idea that she is a helpless realtor or something.

• Love 3

This show has made me hate the phrase "loved ones."

Oh god, me too.  I love this B vs W concept, but I hate the term "loved ones" and especially hate when the "loved ones" come to visit.  It's mind-boggling to me that they are always, without fail, crying and freaking out as though they haven't seen their "loved ones" in decades.  I can get the tears that show up due to something like an exhalation of stress.  But this bawling and sniveling is always ridiculous.  I can never watch loved ones episodes.  And due to that, I cringe every time Jeff mentions loved ones.  They need a new term for this BvW thing.  "Parter" might be better.  

• Love 3