Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E01: Suck It Up And Survive

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I'm thinking Jeremy made such a stink about protecting his wife because he was trying to help her with her cover.  She doesn't want anyone to know she is a cop, so he is trying to impress everyone with the idea that she is a helpless realtor or something.

I didn't realize that Val was hiding that she was a cop. If she is, then you might be right. Although she made sure everyone knew she didn't need his help and was perfectly capable of taking care of herself after he was going on about how sad he is that he can't protect her the first time. Which is why I thought it was weird that he kept doing it and that she seemed to go along with it afterwards. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

Seriously, I would buy Reed, Josh's boyfriend as a model before that guy and I think I did read along with his Broadway work, Reed has some done some modeling. It wasn't so much that the guy said this because hey, a couple of local shoots for some small town business is "modeling" I guess. It's that he felt so sure that we the viewers would probably recognize him. Yeah not likely.

It wasn't so much that the guy said this because hey, a couple of local shoots for some small town business is "modeling" I guess. It's that he felt so sure that we the viewers would probably recognize him. Yeah not likely.

It more annoyed me that he took every opportunity to point out that he was building the shelter, like he was the only one working on it.

And in today's selfie obsessed culture isn't everyone a model?

• Love 2

Riverblue 22: "I'm thinking Jeremy made such a stink about protecting his wife because he was trying to help her with her cover. She doesn't want anyone to know she is a cop, so he is trying to impress everyone with the idea that she is a helpless realtor or something." (Sorry, the editing icons are not displaying right now.)

Yes, a helpless realtor who believes the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. (TM a contestant on the Amazing Race)

Edited by Lamb18

Also, I'm calling it right now; he's probably a hand model.

Very likely. I believe one of his desired luxury items was a Playboy, so his hands would be in terrific shape. ;)

The guy with the eye infection looks kind of like Alan Tudyk?

Yes! Every time he was on the screen, my husband and I were saying "it's Wash! it's Wash! I'm like a leaf in the wind!".

Edited by BC Mama
  • Love 1

God, this show should really just be re-branded as a comedy, rather than a reality tv show. Some of my favorite moments from this episode, as pointed out by posters on this forum:

What kind of name is "Baylor" for anybody? Just asking.

My favorite line: "Does it have five letters?" (Wes about Rocker's last name.)

So according to Drew the famous model (and not rocket scientist), the orange tribe's shelter is "levitating". WTF? I wish I had a levitating fort in my back yard.

So that one guy says he was a model? Huh.

Yeah, I felt badly for thinking that, but I did totally have the same exact thought. I was like...but you aren't attractive?

John Rocker is a hilariously stupid. When the kid from Louisiana asked his last name, he came up with Wetteland. John Wetteland was a relief pitcher, like Rocker, but pitched for the Yankees at about the same time that Rocker was pitching - they were contemporaries in the same job. Wetteland was the Yankee closer right before Mariano Rivera.

So Rocker tries to hide the fact that he was a professional baseball pitcher by falsely giving the name of ... a pro baseball pitcher? Best line of the night.

I don't follow baseball, so I had no clue about any of this! Thank you so much for pointing this out! That is hilarious!!

"DIG WOMAN!" Annnd Probst is already pissing me off... SHUT UP PROBST!

Ugh. I am so tired of Probst's sexism. Speaking of which...

I like Val and Jeremy too and (for now) will root for one of them to win in light of their professions, but Jeremy was starting to annoy me with his continual "gotta protect my woman!" She seems pretty capable of taking care of herself.

I think it was Probst that first mentioned something about how it's men's job to "protect" their women and how all men feel that way. It really repulsed me.

Also, I didn't get all the waterworks for this. It's a game! Do you cry when you take your wife's pawn in chess? I get it, it's higher stakes and all that, but still. Usually I excuse a lot of the crying by thinking they're tired, hungry and just generally depleted, but at this point they'd only been in the game for a day. Maybe I'll attribute it to a long flight to Nicaragua...

Sometimes it really ticks me off how they seem to purposely cast such dumb women.  Baylor can't make a decision to save her life, her mother thinks three failed marriages is indicative of good gut instinct, the baseball players gf decides that is her ticket to being worthy not to mention she does all she can to make sure her boobs are on camera as much as possible.  Thank fuck for Val, the Boston police officer.

Ugh, I hate this way this show (and most reality tv) treats women!!! This probably belongs in a different thread, but between this and Probst's blatant and disgusting sexism, I've contemplated quitting the show several times. The way women are represented/treated on this show REALLY concerns me. I don't even know if it's the casting, editing or the depletion from the show because there have been female contestants that appeared to be morons on the show, but when I read their interviews afterwards, they were actually articulate, intelligent and insightful. The problem is, most casual viewers are never going to read this interviews and realize this. 

ETA - The ageism is really horrible too. I say this as someone in their early 20's, the demographic that Survivor caters to.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 1

Also, I didn't get all the waterworks for this. It's a game! Do you cry when you take your wife's pawn in chess?

But for a married couple, a win for either spouse brings home a lot of money for both. So I can really understand being very upset about hurting your spouses chance at the game because it hurts your own chance at the money. I'd be devestated if I had to go up against my husband in the first round of a chess tournament! Sure, in the finals id be glad to kick his butt

Also, dating couples are not "blood". Married couples aren't even, though they at least have a bit more formal of a tie!

(edited)

I love Jeremy, so I'm going to stand up for him.

Never once in this episode does Jeremy say the word "protect".  Jeff says "protection".  Jeremy says "help" and "take care".  Anyway, I don't find it offensive at all.

Jeremy had a hilarious quote when he was mad at himself for crying on "Day one" and then said "These dudes are going to kill me back home."  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay