Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Okay, I forgot everyone’s names already, so bear with me… Um, except Chock (who can forget a name like Chorles?), so I’ll start with him. Chock and Joan had a really nice chemistry together. It reminded me of how Gerry had his first date with Theresa, and then I guess just imprinted on her as “the one.” I can see Joan doing the same thing with Chock. Though she also tried to make the prom king and ribbon dancer seem special and could be “the one” during their special time, it seemed genuine with Chock. Though, they did spend the whole day and night together, so that’s understandable that Chock would have a far lead over everyone else at this point. 

i’m kind of surprised that the loud Frank Sinatra guy was sent home. Granted, he was “too much” for Joan, but he seemed like this year’s Susan, as a loud-mouthed Italian who likes to cook for everyone and is the life of the party. Maybe two truly extra extroverts together is too much, but I can see him and Susan getting together if the Goldens co-mingle the way the younger contestants do.

The guy who’s getting paid $100 per load of laundry by Pascal really knows what he’s doing there washing 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts, and underwear and socks at a time. He’s going to end up charging Pascal $500 for these mini washes over what could have actually fit in the washing machine for $100. He has no chance with Joan, but pick up odd jobs around the house for extra cash to supplement your retirement income, while you can. Meanwhile the captain is fixing the garbage disposal for free! Long-time viewers know that the Bachelor mansion has fallen into disrepair after over 20 years being rented out. I guess good for them for bringing in a bunch of bored dads ready and willing to do dad stuff just to keep busy. Please, fellas, paint over those gold and red walls from circa 2000 next.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m in her age group and she and some of the guys just give off ‘old energy’, not sure I can even describe it.

Thank for saying that.  I'm 67, and most of the men seem like, I wouldn't really say old men, but I somehow don't feel like they'd be a good dating pool for me.  Maybe because I never had kids, so I don't have much in common with them and their incessant talk about their families?  😀

But also just from just looks alone, even though the oldest of them is only two years older than I am.  

That said, I was looking at their official biographies (I was going to say bios but these days with robots and AI taking over, I think I need to make a distinction) and the ER doctor is/was planning to climb Mount Kilimanjaro this Fall.  It's more of a long high-altitude walk, with no climbing skills required, but still.  We've seen only the tiniest snippet of any of these people's lives, but we do get an overall vibe and that vibe is definitely more old energy than adventure. 

• Like 5

I've only caught snippets of the episodes because Joan's "journey" doesn't interest me, but I think these guys look good for their ages and I don't get an old energy vibe from any of them.

Also, I can't see Joan doing cartwheels herself. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Honestly, if I ever went on Golden Bachelor (I've aged out of regular Bachelor (thankfully!)) Disneyland would be my fantasy one on one. Though my Dinner would be at the Blue Bayou where I would get the best Monte Cristo I've ever had. lol And I would totally be wearing a Cinderella princess dress. 

Same @Mabinogia! Although the experience might be marred slightly by a production crew following me all day and dictating where I go, what I ride (Dumbo? Seriously????)  and then teasing me by taking me to areas I only dream about only to have to sit and listen to a guy telling me his sad story.......

Like, hey ABC, buy me a lightning lane pass and I'll see you in three hours! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

We've seen only the tiniest snippet of any of these people's lives, but we do get an overall vibe and that vibe is definitely more old energy than adventure. 

Most of these guys are in their early sixties (Mark is in his mid to late fifties!). I think the show is playing up the "old men" angle for the franchise, but I don't buy it. Early sixties is middle age to me. 

The ones giving old vibes to me were Bob, Kim and Charles. Keith, Mark, Jordan, Jonathan, and Guy seem more youthful to me. I don't know what it is about Chock, but he seems phony to me, as does Pascal.

• Like 10
20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Honestly, if I ever went on Golden Bachelor (I've aged out of regular Bachelor (thankfully!)) Disneyland would be my fantasy one on one. Though my Dinner would be at the Blue Bayou where I would get the best Monte Cristo I've ever had. lol And I would totally be wearing a Cinderella princess dress. 

Yes!! I thought, what a great date!  I would much rather do that than jump out of a plane.  I kept wanting them to go on Pirates of the Caribbean and then have dinner at the Blue Bayou.  My favorite!!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Early sixties is middle age to me. 

But most people in their early 60s are not expecting to live to be 120.

As I said, I'm 67 and while I don't feel elderly, most people consider me so, based solely on my age.  It seems weird to me, but I'm getting used to it.  I'm almost 70, after all.

(Mark is in his mid to late fifties!)

He's 57, and the only one in his 50s, and he had an "in," which tells me they weren't casting for men in their 50s. 

I did notice that he said he likes traveling to visit his five kids, and doesn't have grandchildren yet, plus he spent his career in the military, so maybe he's a candidate for non-dramatic relocation.  (I don't even know if he's still in the running.)  That's probably more important than finding your soulmate, especially if you're not willing to relocate yourself away from your own family.

FWIW, Mr. Outlier is also 57, so maybe that's skewing how I look at these guys?  A lot of them look like they could be his father. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Like, hey ABC, buy me a lightning lane pass and I'll see you in three hours! 🤣

Speaking of ABC, in case anyone doesn't already know, Disney bought them many years ago, so there's that product placement/tie-in.

Nice to see a few people on the forum who share my opinion about Blue Bayou (and their Monte Cristo - that was always my GF's go-to).  In fact, I met her through Match.com when I said that I was once there and saw a couple kiss before one of them go up to go to the restroom and that was the kind of relationship I was looking for.  And here we are, watching GB together 19 years later. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

He's 57, and the only one in his 50s, and he had an "in," which tells me they weren't casting for men in their 50s. 

What do you mean, Mark had an “in”? Thank you!

Believe it or not, some of these guys look better than most of the guys their age, at least in New Jersey and New York. The guys here eat junk, eat excessively, don’t take care of themselves or their health. Don’t exercise. Drive rather than walk six blocks. 

I think they should start out with fewer candidates. So then the bachelor or bachelorette can spend more time with each before the dumping ceremonies.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Like 9
On 9/26/2024 at 11:23 AM, Ilovepie said:

I am completely distracted by Joan's face. Nothing on it moves except for her stretched thin yet puffy filler filled lips and her eyeballs. Her forehead and cheeks are completely immobilized. It's like looking at one of the animatronics at Disneyland! Speaking of......

I am a Disneyland fanatic and I am so jealous of their meal at 21 Royal! It's painful to see them there and no food actually eaten - hopefully they can actually enjoy the experience after being forced to have their sad "I watched my spouse/fiancé get sick and die" and "I love my family" speeches. 

I have to say none of these guys are that great. I like Gary, but he has no chance with her. I think Mark is the best choice at this point, but again, the geography is going to be a problem. I honestly can't get past that when I watch. Nobody is relocating and this is a waste of time.

Kim is this season's Kathy. He needs to calm down. Next week he's going to tell someone to zip it at this rate.

I’m going to Disneyland in October. My son married a woman who is a DisneyLand fanatic as all her siblings. I’m worried about the walking and standing in one place.  Ok French guy also has Botox forehead . When he said something about his salon included was a reference to “medical” .  
I agree with everyone’s opinion about these devoted family seniors no one is going to want to relocate. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Hi all, not watching Joan's season as I can't stand all the cosmetic surgery and I think she is an awful representation of a genuine senior woman. That said, I came here out of curiosity after reading that her season's viewership so far is about half of Gerry's. 

It seemed that many viewers didn't want Joan because of her disturbing face and I'm wondering if this is the main reason (sure there are others) for the low interest. Why don't these shows consider fan opinions? The same for DWTS promoting a criminal and toxic politicians. 

What do you think? Do these shows think shock value pulls us in? Have the antics of these reality shows really begun to turn you off? 

P.S.:  Thanks to whoever posted that photo of Joan before. A face like that ages gracefully with minimal care. Why on earth has she done this to herself?

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Recyclorette said:

Hi all, not watching Joan's season as I can't stand all the cosmetic surgery and I think she is an awful representation of a genuine senior woman. That said, I came here out of curiosity after reading that her season's viewership so far is about half of Gerry's. 

It seemed that many viewers didn't want Joan because of her disturbing face and I'm wondering if this is the main reason (sure there are others) for the low interest. Why don't these shows consider fan opinions? The same for DWTS promoting a criminal and toxic politicians. 

What do you think? Do these shows think shock value pulls us in? Have the antics of these reality shows really begun to turn you off? 

P.S.:  Thanks to whoever posted that photo of Joan before. A face like that ages gracefully with minimal care. Why on earth has she done this to herself?

It was never going to do as well as Gerry's season since The Bachelorette ratings are consistently much lower than those of The Bachelor. But the main reason for the poor ratings is because the show is up against CBS's Survivor, which has dominated that time slot for years and likely shares a significant crossover audience with this show. Not sure if this is definitely the case, but it's possible that Joan's season isn't as big of a flop as the ratings indicate when delayed viewing numbers are taken into account.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

What do you mean, Mark had an “in”? Thank you!

He's a previous winner's father.  I think she showed up before the limo arrivals to introduce her father as one of the combatants.

15 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Ok French guy also has Botox forehead . When he said something about his salon included was a reference to “medical” . 

Thanks for the info.  He seemed kind of high maintenance with all his clothes, but I didn't notice the fixed forehead.  Bzzzzzzt.  A shame, because I thought he was one of the cuter ones.  I bet he would have aged just fine without botox.

But that does mean he doesn't have much room to talk about Joan's extensions.  I laughed when one of the men said something about her beautiful hair.  Bless his heart.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I wasn’t thrilled with Joan last season, but I’ve grown to like her now.  She seems genuine and has a good heart.  It will be hard to pick as they all have good traits.Handsome and in good shape too.  It’s nice her kids come for dinner every Sunday, mine won’t as they say they are so busy.  lol.

• Like 2
On 9/18/2024 at 10:01 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I would have probably cut Pascal and Greg but they made it. I'm glad she kept Jack he is good for some laughs (and good meals). I like Jordan and Mark best so far and also Keith the first rose guy.

Aw hell no Gerry you should not be giving advice.

Why is Gerry even here.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

I started another page somewhere else, so disregard it.  Like I said, I didn’t care for Joan last season, but warmed up to her now.  She seems kind .  So she has all her kids over for dinner every Sunday?  What’s her secret?  Mine are always busy, Altho at this point, they should be cooking for me.  All these guys are TOO CUTE, and most of them still have hair.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I’m going to Disneyland in October. My son married a woman who is a DisneyLand fanatic as all her siblings. I’m worried about the walking and standing in one place.  Ok French guy also has Botox forehead . When he said something about his salon included was a reference to “medical” .  
I agree with everyone’s opinion about these devoted family seniors no one is going to want to relocate. 

FYI .. my daughter was a character for seven years.  Shes married now with two boys and owns a Time Share at Wilderness Lodge.  Another fanatic.

• Like 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Recyclorette said:

I'll play, at least as far as the Golden franchises are concerned.

I watched both for one reason: dark curiosity.

• Would there be the same kind of contrived, OTT drama, backstabbing, and pettiness among the contestants as there is in the younger versions?
  • How foolish and undignified are they going to act in general?
  • How are they going to handle the Fantasy Suite?
  • And finally, (I'll be honest) how would I compare physically to these guys if I were willing to sacrifice my self-respect and pride to participate in this dumpster fire?  

Considering what went down with the Golden Bachelor's "wedding" (c'mon, was there really any expectation from anyone that that travesty would last?) and the hot mess that was the culmination of the last Bachelorette, I can't imagine that ABC expects anyone to take these shows seriously. But I suppose if you will broadcast it, they will watch...I did and I am, although probably not "for the right reason". 

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
53 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

and most of them still have hair.

There is an unusual amount of hair among them.  I like the thought that they've taken measures to keep it.  It's about time they had to do something other than exist to be considered socially acceptable.  They'll never reach the heights of measures women take, but every little insult evens the playing field.

• Like 5

Joan is too "over the top" for me ... and too showbiz.  She's not the demure hopeful Bachelorette in the Golden Bachelor's season.  Is THIS the real Joan or is this the person programmed for the show?

• Like 3
(edited)
On 9/24/2024 at 4:43 PM, Ilovepie said:

I completely agree. I still wish Leslie had been chosen. She seemed more flexible with her living situation and more fun than Joan. I really think the fact that she lives in Maryland and won't relocate is a big problem.

Leslie is my all-time favorite 💯♥️- she's gorgeous, funny, sporty, a Crystal Light National Aerobics Champion, and I loved that she said, "I can think whatever the fuck I want, Gerry" 😄🙌💯 Leslie is raw and real- she's strong, she's had a lot of heartbreak and she's very relatable. 

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 9/26/2024 at 11:42 AM, JenLily said:

One thing Joan was doing during last night's episode that really irritated me is what I call "participatory listening." While the men were talking telling her their stories, she kept saying, "Mm-hmm, uh-huh, yeah!" etc., etc., etc. It drove me insane. Just listen quietly until they're done talking please. I think she maybe thought that she was just engaging with them but it gave off vibes that she was just barely holding herself back from interjecting with a story about herself. . .and then she'd do just that.

Yes! She kind of reminds me of The Bachelorette Gabby Windey- the queen of annoying participatory listening 🥴 "Uh huh uh huh yeah yeah uh huh!".  These guys are telling her about how their wives died and she's just answering as if she's hearing an annoying friend talk on the phone. 

• Like 6
(edited)
On 9/27/2024 at 6:21 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

As I said, I'm 67 and while I don't feel elderly, most people consider me so, based solely on my age.  It seems weird to me, but I'm getting used to it.  I'm almost 70, after all.

Yes. I'm 60 and feel the same. I think of middle age as 40s and early 50s. I've had to accept that I get the senior citizen discount now at most places. I don't feel "old" but I know I'm an older person now. It took me some time to accept it. 

Different strokes. I've been to Disneyworld twice and have no desire to ever go again! 

I didn't make it through the whole episode, but I tend to not like the first episode of this franchise. I usually fast-forward through the limo scenes too as I find most of them cringe worthy. I might check in again on the next one though once they start going on dates. I'm still disappointed they chose Joan although not surprised. 

I wish they didn't bring Gerry on again. He doesn't need more air time. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 9/26/2024 at 3:49 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Gregg seems easy going, he made me laugh doing Pascal’s laundry. He may not be the most good looking of the bunch but I like him.

The Captain may be a bit too tense.

Charles L is too sweet for the Bachelor franchise.

Gary is in the friend zone.

I really liked Gregg after this episode, he was so joyful coming into the talent show thing and doing Pascal's laundry really cracked me up. 

The red flags continue to pile up with Pascal, but he is quite charming. I wouldn't be interested in someone who's that into their clothes and looks, plus I just assume he's absolutely a player in his hometown. Also, if I had ratty hair extensions, I would feel quite self-conscious having a high-end hairstylist around.  there's no way he's not secretly judging that mane.

I think it is sweet some of these guys are still crying about their late wives but they aren’t ready to be remarried. No woman is going to want constant reminders about the love of someone’s life. If I die before my husband I want him to grieve and to remember me with love but to also move on with life and be happy. 

Joan is in the same boat with her late husband, so I don't think she would be that bothered by not being their first loves. It doesn't seem like most of these losses are that recent, it's been years, so unless they want to be alone forever, they'll have to move on at some point. 

Also the blond guy with sad eyes and the familiar tremor….I’m fascinated by the “you’re dead” to miracle health story. As a clinician I wanted some detail. 

Yeah, me too. The reference to the hepatologist made me wonder if it was an alcohol issue, that can be particularly problematic for diabetics. Maybe he got sober and that's the explanation for his recovery. Also would explain the tremor, I think. 

One thing Joan was doing during last night's episode that really irritated me is what I call "participatory listening." While the men were talking telling her their stories, she kept saying, "Mm-hmm, uh-huh, yeah!" etc., etc., etc. It drove me insane. Just listen quietly until they're done talking please. I think she maybe thought that she was just engaging with them but it gave off vibes that she was just barely holding herself back from interjecting with a story about herself. . .and then she'd do just that.

Yes, I found that really irritating as well.  Reminded me of the guy last week who would ask a question and immediately talk over the answer. Agreed with the other  poster who said that people who do that make you feel rushed and like you should hurry up with whatever you're saying.

It was also bothering me that I couldnt' figure out who her voice reminds me of and I finally realized it's Kathy from Survivor Marquesas/All Stars. Very random, but there's a definite similarity.

I thought it looked like an adult diaper under a layer of tulle. Very unflattering and a rare miss from Joan, whom I usually think has good style.

Yes, I truly could not figure out what that dress was supposed to be. nothing about the bottom half of that dress worked.

The prom and the talent show both did look like a lot of fun. The guys seem to like each other a lot and it's fun to watch them just hang out.

i’m kind of surprised that the loud Frank Sinatra guy was sent home. Granted, he was “too much” for Joan, but he seemed like this year’s Susan, as a loud-mouthed Italian who likes to cook for everyone and is the life of the party. Maybe two truly extra extroverts together is too much, but I can see him and Susan getting together if the Goldens co-mingle the way the younger contestants do

Yeah, I think Jack should have been kept for another week for the entertainment value, you're gonna send most of these guys home eventually anyway, why not send one of the duller ones home first? 

Jordan still strikes me as a low-key wrong reasons guy and the "I had a date with Taylor Dayne" deepened that feeling. I'd have sent him home and kept Jack.

• Like 6

Actually, I think they are all full of it.  Look what happened to Gerry and Teresa. The big wedding.  What a joke.  What is he doing on the panel now?  Who wants to see that phony?  Get him off.

• Like 5

well. I guess I was wrong about Joan.  I’d like to know why she rushed home because her daughter needed her.  Was it that serious? Or were they saving her for the next Bachelorette?  I don’t know about you guys, but i think it’s an imposition to have all your kids over for dinner every Sunday.  I have 3 adult kids, and we get together Christmas Eve, and a special Birthday.  That’s it.  They are busy with their lives and kids.  Plus, we never just pop in .. we call first.  My parents came over all the time, and I felt I had to have the in-laws an over too.  It was draining.  Joan might be demanding with her children.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Yeah, me too. The reference to the hepatologist made me wonder if it was an alcohol issue, that can be particularly problematic for diabetics. Maybe he got sober and that's the explanation for his recovery. Also would explain the tremor, I think. 

If he has Type 2 diabetes, he likely was overweight. Many type 2 diabetics also have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I am guessing that is what he had? Weight loss definitely helps both conditions.

well. I guess I was wrong about Joan.  I’d like to know why she rushed home because her daughter needed her.  Was it that serious? Or were they saving her for the next Bachelorette?  I don’t know about you guys, but i think it’s an imposition to have all your kids over for dinner every Sunday.  I have 3 adult kids, and we get together Christmas Eve, and a special Birthday.  That’s it.  They are busy with their lives and kids.  Plus, we never just pop in .. we call first.  My parents came over all the time, and I felt I had to have the in-laws an over too.  It was draining.  Joan might be demanding with her children.

I believe her daughter had a difficult delivery and maybe postpartum depression?

I have a friend whose family has dinner every Sunday evening. Sometimes whoever hosts cooks; other times they order in. It's not necessarily a big formal thing; they just get together and share a meal. It's just their family tradition and I love it for them. My daughter is still at home but when she is on her own someday, if she is local, I'd love to have weekly dinners if she is into it. I wouldn't see it as an imposition at all. Joan doesn't seem particularly demanding to me; I think she and her children just are close and enjoy each other's company. 

• Like 2
On 9/19/2024 at 1:32 PM, Boofish said:

I had a "golden" wedding - 50/62 the day of the wedding. But while dating, that was the universal theme. Location. No one wanted to move away from their family. I know I wasn't willing to leave my grandkids and my now husband had a son. He made it very clear he would never leave the state as long as his son was here. I believe this is why most of these golden couples won't last. It's too bad really but I definitely get it.

So true.  When my husband retired, we moved from New York to Florida to a beautiful new development.  It had EVERYTHING.  Golf for him, things for me.  New furniture, everything.  Neighbors from all over the states.  After6 months, depression set in.  I missed my 3 kids and 6 grandkids, and New York in general.  My wonderful husband gave me my wish to move back home.  It cost us a fortune to go back, rent an apartment, then buy a house, but I am happy knowing they are near.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 8

When my dad retired, my parents stayed close to me (I'm an only child) and my son. My mom, who came from a warmer climate, said only for my son would she endure the cold. My aunt and uncle had to winter in Florida due to health reasons and they hated being away from the grandkids. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

I love that they keep finding themselves in these very dad like scenarios just around the house. Fixing the sink, grilling some burgers, walking about talking about property values, its all dads all the time! 

This seems like a pretty good time so far, although Joan's face really is distracting, and extra sad considering how lovely she looked when her husband was alive, it was only a few years ago and she looked so naturally beautiful. Was getting work done a grief response, at least partially. 

I haven't really picked a favorite or a frontrunner yet, lets see how the next barbeque goes and how those burgers look!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
On 9/27/2024 at 4:21 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I did notice that he said he likes traveling to visit his five kids, and doesn't have grandchildren yet, plus he spent his career in the military, so maybe he's a candidate for non-dramatic relocation.  (I don't even know if he's still in the running.)  That's probably more important than finding your soulmate, especially if you're not willing to relocate yourself away from your own family.

FWIW, Mr. Outlier is also 57, so maybe that's skewing how I look at these guys?  A lot of them look like they could be his father. 

I am 52, Mr. Ilovepie is 54 (will be 55 in December) and we look pretty young. I like fashion so I dress younger, and he is really into fitness so he looks young. We still have teenagers at home! It's less about the mathematical number and "actual middle age" and more about the attitude and lifestyle.  A lot of these young sixty year olds are in the same boat - most are still working and some are raising kids still - they are not retired and hanging out with grandkids. It's just a different mindset now - when my grandparents were my age they looked like what 75 and up look like to me now. 

• Like 10
11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

But her lines seem scripted.

I agree and she seemed very "practiced" with every one of the "competitors."  I don't find her likeable or DISlikeable.  I don't care.  I love to see close-ups of her face...sometimes I see some serious flaws in her skin; other times I think she's had some "nice" work done.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I am 52, Mr. Ilovepie is 54 (will be 55 in December) and we look pretty young. I like fashion so I dress younger, and he is really into fitness so he looks young. We still have teenagers at home! It's less about the mathematical number and "actual middle age" and more about the attitude and lifestyle.  A lot of these young sixty year olds are in the same boat - most are still working and some are raising kids still - they are not retired and hanging out with grandkids. It's just a different mindset now - when my grandparents were my age they looked like what 75 and up look like to me now. 

I have a picture of my grandparents and I would estimate they were about my age at the time. They looked so old and they acted so old. My grandmother died at 62 and my grandfather 63. And it wasn't just them, their friends and family looked so old too.

My cousin is older than my grandmother was at the time of her death and looks 1000% better and younger. Times do change. 

• Like 10

I remember the wedding page of our local newspaper also had entries for 50th wedding anniversaries, usually with a photo of the couple.  The couples all looked alike to me, and the women invariably had gray or white hair that was coiffed into that style that required weekly visits to the hair salon--the kind where women with it in the movies would kind of pat it sometimes. 

And now I have friends I grew up with and went all through school with who are a couple of years shy of their 50th wedding anniversaries, and they don't look anything like those people.

• Like 9
57 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And now I have friends I grew up with and went all through school with who are a couple of years shy of their 50th wedding anniversaries, and they don't look anything like those people.

And then...there are those movies of the 40s and early 50s where the mother of the family looks 65 (as does the actress), dresses 75, and has children 6 and 7.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
6 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

When I was a youngster, I thought a 55-60-year-old woman would always look like Edith Bunker.

Played by Jean Stapleton, who was if my math is correct, 48 when the series started. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2024 at 7:52 PM, kristen111 said:

If they enjoy getting together, I think that's a great thing. Sunday nights at my grandparents' is one of my favorite memories of childhood and I'm grateful to have spent that time with them. 

As for rushing home to be with her daughter, that makes sense to me if they have a close relationship. Especially since it saved her from possibly ending up with Gerry, lol. Bullet dodged there. 

And given how some of the other ladies took every opportunity to shove their faces back on TV, I have to say that Joan played it much cooler and wound up with the big prize of the Bachelorette gig.

I don't know if it's just because he's being so heavily promoted, but I'm not really a Mark fan. He seems nice enough, but a bit on the cheesy side. And I find myself wondering how he can see out of his permanently squinted eyes, but that's a purely shallow observation.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Joan does seem kind, but that's about it. I'd really like for her to show some personality... a spark... a little bit of fire or humor... something. So far mostly it's just been a frozen face and much too long hair.  

Chock looks to me like a cross between Daniel Craig and Patrick Duffy.  Mike reminds me of Brett Favre and Bob reminded me of Dick Van Dyke. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
48 minutes ago, eclectcmoi said:

Joan does seem kind, but that's about it. I'd really like for her to show some personality... a spark... a little bit of fire or humor... something. So far mostly it's just been a frozen face and much too long hair.  

Chock looks to me like a cross between Daniel Craig and Patrick Duffy.  Mike reminds me of Brett Favre and Bob reminded me of Dick Van Dyke. 

I see the Patrick Duffy in Chock mixed with a thinner version of Marla Hooch's father from A League of their Own. I think it's the slightly puffy, watery eyes.

Bob reminded me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it. Seemed like a nice man, but his whole vibe seemed older than most of the others. 

I think Joan has shown a couple of sparks here and there, but her personality isn't translating very strongly through the TV. I'd be really interested to see how she'd handle something scandalous in the house, like if someone said something disparaging about her or her family. I'm not sure I see that happening with this group though.

• Like 7