Type keyword(s) to search

Thomas Ravenel & Kathryn Dennis: Will He Put A Ring On It?

• Start Topic

On 5/5/2017 at 5:09 AM, LIMOM said:

You would be surprised.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:09 AM, LIMOM said:

You would be surprised.

What is surprising is that people are very thirsty and eager to believe a Fake as Hell "Diagnosis" as revealed by a BOGUS source. I live within spitting distance of these idiots, so I reckon that makes me a "source close to Kathryn". Super legit!

21 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

People will do anything for money. Tabloids pay for juicy gossip.

For example, 

FABRICATE A STORY FROM THIN AIR

1 hour ago, Nancypants said:

What is surprising is that people are very thirsty and eager to believe a Fake as Hell "Diagnosis" as revealed by a BOGUS source. I live within spitting distance of these idiots, so I reckon that makes me a "source close to Kathryn". Super legit!

For example, 

FABRICATE A STORY FROM THIN AIR

Fake as Hell?

In any case, Saint was also  already diagnosed.....by the internet.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:20 AM, RedHawk said:

Brought from the "Craig of All Trades" thread: I can truly blame Thomas for being a man well into middle age when he made promises to a much younger woman he should have realized was unstable and addicted before he created a second child with her. They're both messed-up individuals with addictions but he's basically functional, and he has had years and years more chances to introspect, learn better, and change his ways than her. I will always feel he took advantage of her, and that if he'd walked away before Kensie was conceived Kathryn might have continued down her addiction path but at least two children wouldn't have been born enmeshed in it without one truly healthy parent to care for them. 

I believe he loves his children and is doing what he should to care for them and give them a good life, but overall he was a louse and although she was never his wife, he should care more about what happens to their mother. He does little things on this show that annoy the hell out of me and are targeted toward her. For example, when he was talking about how Landon would help him host the polo match, he made negative comments about someone (Kathryn) not knowing how to cook, and a clip was shown of her trying to make salmon for their dinner back when they co-habited. I get that he's angry with her, but that was so unnecessary. Just made him look like a huge, vindictive jerk rather than a man with some amount of compassion or one who realizes he also contributed to his children's difficult situation.

The one thing I admire and that may be a bit of a stretch, is neither party has done the blame game regarding lack of successful family planning.  At some point the children's feeling need be taken into consideration.  The children are here in this world both parents seemed to embrace becoming parents.  As to the healthiness of the parents, that is subjective.  One might not consider a parent with stringent religious views a "healthy" parent, yet they don't normally have their children removed from their home.

I do believe Thomas does care for Kathryn and what happens to her and the role she plays in her children's lives, but he cannot fix it for her.  Sometimes it takes the more grounded person to admit they cannot help the other and turn their energy on the children.   I always think of Britney Spears and her custody ups and downs.  Strange that her father still remains as her conservator over her financial matters.  Ultimately, she was able to pull it together and enjoy a relationship with her children. Some famous women who had custody issues:  http://www.babygaga.com/15-celebs-who-lost-custody-of-their-kids-for-being-horrible-mothers/  I don't agree with the title and I found at least one factual error (Tamra Judge) but it gives both the successful woman vs less successful man scenario and the powerful man vs less powerful woman examples.  Common thread crazy, drinking and drugs are not the path to retaining custody for moms.

I saw Kathryn very differently when she first started the show.  She was beautiful, on her way to a degree, working in politics and proud of her family lineage.  I don't know if it was a shortcut, or she just fell into a trap of wanting to grow up very fast and saw security with a well to do man the way to go.  As a woman over 21 she is entitled to have sex with whomever she wants, I just believe she jumped in physically before she had given the emotional side of the various relationships a chance.  For some reason she just fell for the life Thomas had the potential to offer. 

This show is long on pointing out petty things.  I do think it was telling that Kathryn really had no desire to be domesticated.  Run a staff of domestics devoted to her needs, yes, but not acknowledging her intended's wants.  So you don't marry the jerk or live with him.  You don't deprive your children of a relationship with the jerk.  Thomas should not be expected to change his desire to have a domestically involved partner anymore than Kathryn should be expected to change into a domestic diva if it is not what they want.  I think the comment was more about Kathryn not knowing how to hostess-which she has proved time and again with her histrionics at various events.  I have to say this Landon stuff seems very show driven and Kathryn should not even dignify it with a response. A note to Thomas-they have party planners. 

I think I am going to reserve judgment as to the level of jerk-ti-tude Thomas has achieved until Kathryn is in a place where she has a relationship with her children.  She seems to be years away from even getting back to a joint custody place.  I just don't ever see the potential for these two getting together and it has more to do with they want very different things.

• Love 5

^^ agree about most of the post, however they do want the same things imo.

Drugs, booze, OC people, skinny ankles, pedigrees, being taken care of .....and on and on...

It is, as usual a question of timing.

She is 24 and he is 54...

As a sucker/ romantic,  I believed Kathryn when she said when things were good, they were great. Time will tell.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

^^ agree about most of the post, however they do want the same things imo.

Drugs, booze, OC people, skinny ankles, pedigrees, being taken care of .....and on and on...

It is, as usual a question of timing.

She is 24 and he is 54...

As a sucker/ romantic,  I believed Kathryn when she said when things were good, they were great. Time will tell.

I think Thomas has outgrown the drug phase of his life, as to drink, maybe he does drink in moderation, don't know.  As to Kathryn there are a lot of good examples out there of people who have moved past their drug and drink years without comparing herself to Thomas.  As she goes down her next journey to recovery I think she will grow to appreciate Thomas was there for the children when she wasn't able to be there.  As far as it playing out publicly, to those intimately involved in such a family crisis-it matters very little.  Or should be the least of their worries.  It is all about getting well.

I am regularly appalled on this show by shallowness of some of these people on this show.  Due to Kathyrn's age I believe she was still wanting to be someone, and someone much more than the wife of Thomas Ravenel.  Thomas to me believes the ultimate for whoever he choses to settle down with would be being his wife.  I don't consider Kathryn wanting more a character flaw anymore than Thomas wanting what he wants a character flaw.  It is simply who they are.

With this couple I just think they tried way too hard to make go of something that had no real deep seated roots between the two of them.   It was kind of all about the passion and not a lot of depth. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Thomas boozing it up is for this show. He said it's like going on a vacation when you're not working, you're lying around waiting for the call for filming. He's not like that when not filming, I've seen him out socially several times and he was gracious and a gentleman. Alcohol was being served and he did not over-imbibe. 

18 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

With this couple I just think they tried way too hard to make go of something that had no real deep seated roots between the two of them.   It was kind of all about the passion and not a lot of depth. 

Ditto. He was dazzled by her, she tried way too hard to make it happen, but could not settle down to being the wife of a politician or a man who has a business to run. Kathryn's idea of marriage was that he'd be with her all the time, go out and party like her friends. Not stay at home with children, prepare dinner, do the things a wife does.

Edited by Major Bigtime
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

Thomas boozing it up is for this show. He said it's like going on a vacation when you're not working, you're lying around waiting for the call for filming. He's not like that when not filming, I've seen him out socially several times and he was gracious and a gentleman. Alcohol was being served and he did not over-imbibe. 

Ditto. He was dazzled by her, she tried way too hard to make it happen, but could not settle down to being the wife of a politician or a man who has a business to run. Kathryn's idea of marriage was that he'd be with her all the time, go out and party like her friends. Not stay at home with children, prepare dinner, do the things a wife does.

Why would he want to be drunk and make a fool of himself, especially on tape?

I get that he is a people pleaser but come on now.

When I drink, I act like a moron but at least my French is amazing ;-)

She is too fucking young!!!!!!

Edited by LIMOM
  • Love 2

Kathryn's idea of marriage was that he'd be with her all the time, go out and party like her friends.

You know, considering her drama and histrionics, I am reminded of Charles and Diana.  She was a very needy person, overwhelmed by the spotlight and wanting him to be her all.  He wanted a partner and could do nothing to make her happy. (Not that he wasn't to blame too, but the similarities are there).   

Kathryn also could have an underlying condition, like being bi-polar.  

• Love 3
On 5/6/2017 at 11:25 AM, Major Bigtime said:

I'm sure that Thomas is exaggerating some aspect of his behavior and personality for the show. However, his cocaine bust, DWI in the Hamptons, and epic Twitter and Facebook rants weren't on the show, but he still did/does those things. Thomas has massive impulse control issues of which he has limited control. He'd been on the planet for half a century when he decided to bang Kathryn without a condom. Even if she lied about being on birth control, it didn't stop Shep from wrapping his junk up. Even if she was dazzling, the man had at least 35 years of romantic and sexual experience with women and he got snowed by Kathryn whose game wasn't all that great. In season 1, Cameran asks Thomas if he'd rather be with Scarlett or Melanie from Gone with the Wind. With no hesitation, he picks Scarlett and explains that it's because she's passionate and a mess. Thomas likes drama. He's attracted to drama. I'm sure his friends told him to dump her and he didn't listen. One of the most telling things about the relationship is that the cast basically never intervened in season 1 because they all thought the relationship was fake.

I was reminded of Phil Hartman. He was killed by his 3rd wife, who was an unstable addict with massive jealousy issues. He had an eye for the ladies and was a bit of hound. When he got together with Brynn, his wife, he loved that he was finally with a "hot babe." His friends told him not to date her, marry her, have kids with her, or stay with her, but he didn't want to hear it. He stopped talking to the people in his life who thought Brynn was bad news.

Kathryn didn't pull a Jekyll and Hyde. She's always been shown to be immature and manipulative. She wasn't hiding this from Thomas. He just didn't want to see it.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Major Bigtime said:

Look what I found, bound to be a collectible one day. LOL. A good friend worked on his campaign.

sm9hlz.jpg

Funny that the A in Ravnel has a little devil horn on it! ;-)

• Love 5
17 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm sure that Thomas is exaggerating some aspect of his behavior and personality for the show. However, his cocaine bust, DWI in the Hamptons, and epic Twitter and Facebook rants weren't on the show, but he still did/does those things. Thomas has massive impulse control issues of which he has limited control. He'd been on the planet for half a century when he decided to bang Kathryn without a condom. Even if she lied about being on birth control, it didn't stop Shep from wrapping his junk up. Even if she was dazzling, the man had at least 35 years of romantic and sexual experience with women and he got snowed by Kathryn whose game wasn't all that great. In season 1, Cameran asks Thomas if he'd rather be with Scarlett or Melanie from Gone with the Wind. With no hesitation, he picks Scarlett and explains that it's because she's passionate and a mess. Thomas likes drama. He's attracted to drama. I'm sure his friends told him to dump her and he didn't listen. One of the most telling things about the relationship is that the cast basically never intervened in season 1 because they all thought the relationship was fake.

I was reminded of Phil Hartman. He was killed by his 3rd wife, who was an unstable addict with massive jealousy issues. He had an eye for the ladies and was a bit of hound. When he got together with Brynn, his wife, he loved that he was finally with a "hot babe." His friends told him not to date her, marry her, have kids with her, or stay with her, but he didn't want to hear it. He stopped talking to the people in his life who thought Brynn was bad news.

Kathryn didn't pull a Jekyll and Hyde. She's always been shown to be immature and manipulative. She wasn't hiding this from Thomas. He just didn't want to see it.

Perfectly said!

Also amusing right now that Bravo is running old episodes of Southern Charm.  Patricia is warning Thomas about Kathyrn and he's offended.  He's going to do what he wants to do.  Bet he wishes he had listened to her now.

• Love 5

I'm also re-watching a couple of episodes from Season 1 and it's interesting how everyone was warning Thomas not to date Kathryn. Not because she was a druggie or anything like that, but simply because he is 29 years older and she simply wasn't ready to become the type of wife he wanted and needed. 

We also again see how both Kathryn and Whitney lied about their previous interactions. He was sooo negative about her when discussing her with Thomas, which seems to have only served to make Thomas more determined to date her.

• Love 4

Someone posted this article about how the show came together, how successful it's become:

http://m.eonline.com/news/847779/how-southern-charm-became-the-sleeper-hit-of-bravo

What I found interesting is that the males were cast first and then they realized that they needed to get females, since Bravo viewers are mostly women.

They had Skype interviews with Kathryn and were considering her as a member of the cast but what would happen is that whenever the show filmed at a public venue, she'd be there.  So she was angling to be on the show from the beginning.  She wasn't an original cast member so how does she get on the show?

Probably not an accident that she slept with 3 of the male cast members.

Sleazy.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, scrb said:

Someone posted this article about how the show came together, how successful it's become:

http://m.eonline.com/news/847779/how-southern-charm-became-the-sleeper-hit-of-bravo

What I found interesting is that the males were cast first and then they realized that they needed to get females, since Bravo viewers are mostly women.

They had Skype interviews with Kathryn and were considering her as a member of the cast but what would happen is that whenever the show filmed at a public venue, she'd be there.  So she was angling to be on the show from the beginning.  She wasn't an original cast member so how does she get on the show?

Probably not an accident that she slept with 3 of the male cast members.

Sleazy.

If you've seen the sizzle reel for Southern Gentlemen, it's so obvious that the show desperately needed women. It features all of the fratty bro-y misogyny and chauvinism that has always been present on this show without any real female perspective. It's so gross. The cast really needed women. It still needs women who will challenge these douchebags.

Kathryn was really predatory in trying to get into the main cast, but she probably is no worse than DJ/busboy James Kennedy, Lala, GG, and Ellie who were more than willing to flirt or fuck their way into the main cast of Vanderpump Rules. The Vanderpump Fools are slightly better because none of them had children, but I think halfway through Kathryn thought she really could make a life with Thomas.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

If you've seen the sizzle reel for Southern Gentlemen, it's so obvious that the show desperately needed women. It features all of the fratty bro-y misogyny and chauvinism that has always been present on this show without any real female perspective. It's so gross. The cast really needed women. It still needs women who will challenge these douchebags.

I've seen it, too. The show was Whitney's idea and his sizzle reel and so of course there were no women. He really can't relate to any female other than his own mother. Norman Bates, indeed! (I saw an episode from S1 yesterday in which Whitney and Cameran were hanging out because he was looking for a house so as not to live with his mother, because it was too "Norman Bates-ish". Cam did not know who NB was and didn't quite get it even after Whitney reminded her of "Psycho". Heh.)

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She is apparently 32 and a nurse.

Isn't the rule about dating younger is that the youngest you can date is half your age plus 7 years. Thomas is getting closer and this one has an actual job and is a professional. He's learning. It just took him 50 years, 4 years of chaos and misery with Kathryn, and the rest of his life that he has to spend shackled to the Ginger Tornado because they share two children to learn the fucking lesson. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

She is photogenic and seems like a natural in front of the camera. Thomas just looks awkward and old, trying too hard to act young. He kind of reminds me of my ex around the time he started stealing my concealer.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Sounds like she is picking up a hobby that may be beneficial while dating Thomas: 

I thought Thomas was not allowed to own (?) or use (?) a gun because of his felony conviction. He said something like that in season 1 when they went to Shep's family hunting cabin.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Isn't the rule about dating younger is that the youngest you can date is half your age plus 7 years. Thomas is getting closer and this one has an actual job and is a professional. He's learning. It just took him 50 years, 4 years of chaos and misery with Kathryn, and the rest of his life that he has to spend shackled to the Ginger Tornado because they share two children to learn the fucking lesson. 

I know right? Dating someone who is in their 30s and has a real job. What an improvement.

• Love 1

Eeehk! the botox is working hard but those body shots show a 55 year old man. It reminds me of a SAT episode where Samanth fell for a rich old man. She kelt swearing nothing about him was like a 70 year old. Then he got up from bed to use the bathroom and had old man ass. She barely had on a bra as she left the apartment with his housekeeper helping her along.

And his hair looks like a wig.

• Love 1

Wow! That young woman Thomas is allegedly dating needs a good bra and a new dress. That was nothing to wear out in public! I am so tired of seeing saggy, hanging breasts in low cut clothing on all of these young women. Have some dignity and pride in yourselves, girls. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, LIMOM said:

It is amazing what a bit of fame and a couple of million can do for a man....

Will she be on the show next year?

If there is a next year, I suspect she will, and Kathryn will be gone. I think it's finally dawning on Bravo that Kathryn is a loose cannon, and not in a good way. She's undependable, might show up stoned and babbling illogically. She also needs to stay off TV and get the real help she needs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

If there is a next year, I suspect she will, and Kathryn will be gone. I think it's finally dawning on Bravo that Kathryn is a loose cannon, and not in a good way. She's undependable, might show up stoned and babbling illogically. She also needs to stay off TV and get the real help she needs.

I am pretty sure there will be a net year-Southern Charm is performing near RH in the ratings territory. 

I can see Kathryn returning well or not if she gets her visitation restored in September.  Staying off TV isn't necessarily a part of her getting help.  There is help available to her and at this point in her life the only earnings she has are from the TV show.  Kathryn can chose not to misbehave and stop throwing things at the film crew.  This past episode when she went from being polite and appropriate to a scene from The Exorcist   at the mention of Jennifer's name.  I thought her head was going to spin around.  SHe and her therapist need to have her view these scenes. 

As long as Shep, Craig and Naomie, and apparently JD and Elisabeth agree to film with her she will be around.  I don't think she and Thomas should film together. 

At this point Kathryn doesn't have much of a story, but yes, some of the cast would agree to film with her, especially if she cleans up and acts somewhat rational. Unfortunately most of what made Kathryn a "star" of the show was her bad behavior and interactions with Thomas and others like Whitney and Landon. Will there be a "redemption" story line? It all depends on Kathryn. 

• Love 2

The more attention an addict gets, the more they want to get high. The adrenaline rush from TV isn't enough for Kathryn, it just fuels her addictions. You don't have to have a lot of money to seek help. Good therapists and rehab centers take insurance, Medicaid, etc. She doesn't need to be going back to Malibu since she was only going at her parents' request, and the places there cater to celebrities and let them go home when they feel like it. 

(edited)

I think the producers egg her on in some cases, to make for "better TV."

Pretty sure they also try to get Craig and Naomi to snipe at each other, to "really sell it" that they're having a big spat.

There's probably a lot of footage they never use where Katherine or the other cast members are pretty sedate so the convos are kind of stale and they say mundane things.

The Bravo MO is to have confrontations, while staring at each other, then yelling, even sometimes shoving each other.  There hasn't been any punches thrown in Southern Charm yet.

Edited by scrb
10 minutes ago, scrb said:

think the producers egg her on in some cases, to make for "better TV."

There has been video of her going batshit and in snaps when she wasn't being filmed for the show.

• Love 3

My earlier post was in reference to a good friend who's been in recovery for several years. He doesn't want attention, doesn't want a pat on the back for staying sober. "I'll start drinking again when people pay a lot of attention to me." He says there are a lot of people in AA like that. When all eyes are on them, they get nervous and fall back to old habits. That's why I think Kathryn should get off this show. It's not helping her.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Apparently she snapped partying last night.

Do you have a link or something to what happened?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

The more attention an addict gets, the more they want to get high. The adrenaline rush from TV isn't enough for Kathryn, it just fuels her addictions. You don't have to have a lot of money to seek help. Good therapists and rehab centers take insurance, Medicaid, etc. She doesn't need to be going back to Malibu since she was only going at her parents' request, and the places there cater to celebrities and let them go home when they feel like it. 

ITA. There's nothing beneficial to Kathryn about being on this show, not even that she gets a paycheck and makes additional money from having Twitter and IG followers. If you've seen Kim Richards on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, you've already seen this story and how it unfolds.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Ultimately I just feel sorry for Kathryn, even if she is the mistress of her own demise.

Same here. She was so out of her league with Thomas, imo.

Plus, I can't stand a cheap man especially a wealthy one.

If Thomas had any class or even an ounce of noblesse oblige, he would provide for Kathryn but unfortunately he is only an OC and far from being noble.

• Love 2

He tried to provide for her and his children. But Kathryn showed how she didn't care about her children by using the money he gave her for utilities, etc., and bought drugs with it instead. The electricity got cut off and that's when he realized she'd never be able to provide a stable home for them.

I feel sorry for her also, but she has to be the one to take that first step and get sober.

• Love 3