Type keyword(s) to search

Midsomer Murders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought the second episode, The Stitcher Society, was far superior to the first one: lots of suspects and red herrings, interesting setting for a murder, good acting - especially from the murderer. 

Barnaby and Sarah finally mentioned their daughter. Until they said her name, I thought that she had been erased. 

Love Fleur but not a fan of Winter - he is just there and doesn't add much. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, LisaM said:

Barnaby and Sarah finally mentioned their daughter. Until they said her name, I thought that she had been erased. 

I was wondering that myself - I think if they're filming this now, during the pandemic, they can't use child actors but I was surprised that they didn't even talk about her. 

• Love 2

I solved my problem of seeing the episodes I had missed since BritBox leapt forward to Season 20 (I was just starting Season 13). Abandoned PlutoTV as my techno boy son declared it (PlutoTV) was just not very compatible with watching on a laptop (as opposed to Roku et al) and found everything I wanted on YouTube.

So Season 13, Episode 3 "Blood on the Saddle" must have the highest body count I have ever seen in this series (or many others actually) - I lost count but would be strangely curious if anyone has ever charted the body count on this series per ep and per season in graph form.

43 minutes ago, isalicat said:

So Season 13, Episode 3 "Blood on the Saddle" must have the highest body count I have ever seen in this series (or many others actually) - I lost count but would be strangely curious if anyone has ever charted the body count on this series per ep and per season in graph form.

That ep has 4 on screen deaths which is about normal for most eps.  There is a body count chart on Midsomer Murders wiki, but it won't let me post the link.  Laptops🙄😂

• Love 1
On 4/8/2021 at 12:09 PM, peacheslatour said:

I had to check when I saw Orlando Bloom.

Can you believe his accomplice in that ep is Tobias Menzies - Prince Philip from “The Crown”?

Orlando seemed to enjoy the role

Edited by scorpio1031
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Can you believe his accomplice in that ep is Tobias Menzies - Prince Philip from “The Crown”?

Orlando seemed to enjoy the role

Uhm...that’s Tobias Menzies, Edmure Tully from Game of Thrones, TYVM. ;)

• LOL 2
On 4/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, Kemper said:

I think it may also be on The Acorn streaming service; also The Roku Channel?  I have also been watching it since the beginning.  Anyone remember one of the murders was accomplished by catapulting wine bottles at an intended victim?  I think the new episodes will be returning to PBS.

This is my all time favorite episode. Peak creativity w the murders. Then another guy is killed by putting his head in a box that looks like a TV and drowning him!

• Love 6
On 4/30/2021 at 5:59 PM, scorpio1031 said:

I didn’t know either until @isalicat said something.  I can’t believe all the options available to watch it now.

Can you please tell me what they are?  I'm in New York and only get Midsomer Saturday nights on the local Long Islasnd station WLIW21

(edited)
7 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Can you please tell me what they are?  I'm in New York and only get Midsomer Saturday nights on the local Long Islasnd station WLIW21

Youtube has full eps - don't have to sign up for anything.  Ovationtv.com has full eps and didn't ask me to sign in with a tv provider.  Both are free.

If you have a Roku, the Roku channel has free eps.  Pluto TV is free and has a Midsomer Murders channel 24/7.  You have to watch what is on there.  However, there is an ondemand section where you can choose what ep you want.

IMDV.com/tv has free eps as well

Hope this helps:)

Edited by scorpio1031
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Youtube has full eps - don't have to sign up for anything.  Ovationtv.com has full eps and didn't ask me to sign in with a tv provider.  Both are free.

If you have a Roku, the Roku channel has free eps.  Pluto TV is free and has a Midsomer Murders channel 24/7.  You have to watch what is on there.  However, there is an ondemand section where you can choose what ep you want.

IMDV.com/tv has free eps as well

Hope this helps:)

Thank you.   I enjoy Midsomer.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just discovered a 50 minute tourism video from 1994 for the island of Jersey in the English Channel hosted by John Nettles a few years after the end of his 1980s detective show BERGERAC(which was set in Jersey). It makes me wish Midsomer County was real so he's do a similar video for it!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He was pretty cute back in the day!

A proper heart-throb back in the Bergerac days, from what I recall - a favourite of all the housewives! I remember as a child in the 80s, whenever I was home from school sick, mum always had Bergerac on.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

My husband and I somehow found Bergerac (probably on our San Francisco public TV station) back in the eighties and watched them all. We were dedicated Anglophiles and mystery buffs so this was perfect for us back in the day. (Watched all the Rumpole and the Bailey, that classic tortured alcoholic guy in Oxford whose name I can't remember, and the like plus Monty Python! all thanks to public TV! Nothing like it on there now...)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/13/2021 at 10:17 PM, isalicat said:

My husband and I somehow found Bergerac (probably on our San Francisco public TV station) back in the eighties and watched them all. We were dedicated Anglophiles and mystery buffs so this was perfect for us back in the day. (Watched all the Rumpole and the Bailey, that classic tortured alcoholic guy in Oxford whose name I can't remember, and the like plus Monty Python! all thanks to public TV! Nothing like it on there now...)

Oxford guy is Inspector Morse. I remember seeing bits of Rumpole and the Bailey. He always called his wife "She who will not be named"!* It wasn't until I was older that I found out it was a reference to an old adventure book by the author of King Solomon's Mines!

*ETA correction: It is "She who must be obeyed" which is a lot funnier!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Yeah, so I'm watching Ring Out Your Dead right now and it has to be my least favorite episode. I don't know about anyone else but ninety minutes of almost non stop bell ringing is making me dizzy. I just don't like it at all.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, so I'm watching Ring Out Your Dead right now and it has to be my least favorite episode. I don't know about anyone else but ninety minutes of almost non stop bell ringing is making me dizzy. I just don't like it at all

That's the one I always mention to show how ridiculous it can be even though I love the show. Half the bellringers get murdered yet they still compete and win!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, BookWitch said:

Dead in the Water was an episode I couldn't finish. It was just so boring! I turned it off halfway through. Maybe I should try again.

Yeah, that one was pretty boring. I think my favorite part was the rat at the end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’ve only recently discovered this series and I’ve been watching on Ovation and wherever else I can find it.  Thanks to the poster who said You Tube has full episodes.  I’ve been watching them out of order so until I somehow get caught up could someone tell me if little Betty was adopted, otherwise she seems to be a late in life baby.  

• Love 2

I recently decided to start watching this series as I have Acorn TV and have quickly become addicted.  The only thing that drives me crazy is the way the people in the villages that they have to interview as suspects give them such a hard time.  They walk out of the room or are extremely rude and refuse to answer their questions.  They all have that snobbish attitude that makes you want to smack them in the face.  Frankly, you could never get away with that here in the states.  Talking back to the police, refusing to answer questions during an investigation (especially when you are the suspect) and generally being a pain in the ass would qualify as obstruction and would have them hauled down to the police station and thrown in a cell. They are simply too polite.  Why do they let the suspects get away with it?

• Love 2
On 7/4/2021 at 7:40 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Sarah Barnaby's not THAT old. Betty's their biological baby.

I've discovered that mid-July, Britbox will be airing Bergerac! John Nettles, young & slender. Whoo hooo. I can't wait.

He is skinny in the pilot episode I saw but judging from this later seasons pic he started hitting the gym more:

37B6B5D700000578-0-image-m-69_1472605046580.jpg.3ed2f429e7197b19056b06a0dfe2d328.jpg

• Love 3
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

He is skinny in the pilot episode I saw but judging from this later seasons pic he started hitting the gym more:

37B6B5D700000578-0-image-m-69_1472605046580.jpg.3ed2f429e7197b19056b06a0dfe2d328.jpg

Lol. I'm watching Death in the Chorus right now and Joyce is going through some of Tom's clothes to give to Jones, she says "Here, this fit you when you were a lot slimmer. It should be just right for him."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Just watched Season 22's The Wolf Hunter of Little Worthy.  It was ok I suppose. Odd backstory of some guy doing the wolf myth to try and get his wife back. They kinda dropped it near the end. 

Spoiler

Could have done without seeing Mr. Weasleys bare ass. He's a member of the clergy!!

• LOL 2

Chicago-area MM fans -

WTTW Channel 11, Chicago's main PBS channel, will be airing a Season 17 marathon of MM this coming Sunday August  starting at 11AM and running until 6PM. Season 18 will begin airing weekly on the following Friday.

From their email:

"...Beginning at 11:00 am on Sunday August 15 on WTTW, you can binge the entire season 17 of Midsomer Murders. The following Friday, August 20 at 8:00 pm on WTTW, season 18 premieres and continues airing Friday evenings. "

Enjoy!

Edited by Hyacinth B
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Hyacinth B said:

Chicago-area MM fans -

WTTW Channel 11, Chicago's main PBS channel, will be airing a Season 17 marathon of MM this coming Sunday August  starting at 11AM and running until 6PM. Season 18 will begin airing weekly on the following Friday.

From their email:

"...Beginning at 11:00 am on Sunday August 15 on WTTW, you can binge the entire season 17 of Midsomer Murders. The following Friday, August 20 at 8:00 pm on WTTW, season 18 premieres and continues airing Friday evenings. "

Enjoy!

I hope we get that on our PBS station!

• Love 1

I didn't realize the first 2 episodes of season 22 were already on Acorn (with more coming on Sept 27). The first ep was ok but the second was much better, mostly because the delightful Hannah Waddingham had a significant role and made the most of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Watching "A Point of Balance" I thought John's dad had to be played by someone and I looked it up and he was James Herriot from the original "All Creatures Great and Small"! I didn't recognize him. Yeah he definitely looks like he could be related to Tom:

AllCreaturesGreatandSmall-1978-ChristopherTimothy.thumb.jpg.83d0676a3f688463b52ecc7fac056acc.jpg

If John's dad was never around because he was busy traveling around  competitive ballroom dancing, I guess Tom became a role model to John and that's why the latter followed in his footsteps.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Watching "A Point of Balance" I thought John's dad had to be played by someone and I looked it up and he was James Herriot from the original "All Creatures Great and Small"! I didn't recognize him. Yeah he definitely looks like he could be related to Tom:

AllCreaturesGreatandSmall-1978-ChristopherTimothy.thumb.jpg.83d0676a3f688463b52ecc7fac056acc.jpg

If John's dad was never around because he was busy traveling around  competitive ballroom dancing, I guess Tom became a role model to John and that's why the latter followed in his footsteps.

Midsomer truly is the Law and Order of the UK.

• Love 6
On 3/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

I liked Sarah Barnaby in the later series. And Sykes, I loved Sykes.

I totally agree about Sykes.  But I hate Sarah Barnaby.  Mainly because she got in the way of my coupling John and the blond medical examiner (Kate).  And because she's annoying.  Not as annoying as Cully, whom I found insufferable, but still annoying.

• Love 3
On 4/14/2021 at 9:05 PM, scorpio1031 said:

Season 9 had some good ones and it was nice to see Barnaby bonding with Ben after two seasons of not being all that thrilled with Dan Scott.

I felt the exact opposite.  I liked a lot of Season 8 and adored Scott.  Didn't much care for the transition in 9.  Jones grew on me, and god knows he's a vast improvement on Troy, but then who wouldn't be.

• Love 2
On 7/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Linda956 said:

Frankly, you could never get away with that here in the states.  Talking back to the police, refusing to answer questions during an investigation (especially when you are the suspect) and generally being a pain in the ass would qualify as obstruction and would have them hauled down to the police station and thrown in a cell.

Actually that's not true.  You are not legally obligated to ever answer questions from the police, no matter what they say on Law & Order.  The police may not like it, but they can't put you in jail just for not answering questions or being a pain in the ass.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Actually that's not true.  You are not legally obligated to ever answer questions from the police, no matter what they say on Law & Order.  The police may not like it, but they can't put you in jail just for not answering questions or being a pain in the ass.

They  can however nail you for obstructing a police investigation.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

I watched the first 6 episodes of John Nettles' old show BERGERAC and can I ask anyone from the UK: is every case Bergerac investigates going to somehow conveniently involve his wealthy ex father in law? It's getting ridiculous!

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 1

It must run in the family because that's how I felt about Joyce and Cully. Every play or job Cully got someone got murdered. Every hobby Joyce had someone got murdered. Hell, they tried to conspire to get Tom to buy a houseboat and someone gets murdered. I guess they were lucky they had a cop in the family for the number of murders that took place wherever they went. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It must run in the family because that's how I felt about Joyce and Cully. Every play or job Cully got someone got murdered. Every hobby Joyce had someone got murdered. Hell, they tried to conspire to get Tom to buy a houseboat and someone gets murdered. I guess they were lucky they had a cop in the family for the number of murders that took place wherever they went. 

Yeah, I'd never invite Jessica Fletcher to my dinner parties.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1