Type keyword(s) to search

Midsomer Murders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, laredhead said:

In earlier episodes, it looks like the house was attached to one or more other houses, but in later episodes their house looked like a stand alone house.  Maybe I should be paying more attention to plot instead of decor - lol.  

Houses in a row, attached = terraced houses. Attached on one side only could be end of terrace, mid-terrace, or semi-detached. Standalone houses are called detached. 😉 

The Barnabys moved at one point. I couldn't say if they filmed on set or location for the household scenes.

• Useful 1

Damn. PBS is doing a beg-a-thon for the next 3 weeks. No MM tonight. At least I can sing along with the Kingston Trio.  "Will he ever return? No, he'll never return..."  As long as Midsomer returns, I don't care about Charlie on the MTA.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

holy hell, Troy is a insufferable prig.

Troy was easily my least favorite "companion". Jones was my favorite. Jones and John Barnaby were my dynamic duo. 

Also insufferable, for me, were Joyce and Cully. But other than them I love what I call UK Law and Order (though I Know there is actually a Law and Order:UK) because every actor in England has been on Midsomer Murders at some point, like all New York actors appear on L&O at some point. 

I enjoy playing "I know that actor, bet they are the murderer!" I'm usually right. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Troy was easily my least favorite "companion". Jones was my favorite. Jones and John Barnaby were my dynamic duo. 

Also insufferable, for me, were Joyce and Cully. But other than them I love what I call UK Law and Order (though I Know there is actually a Law and Order:UK) because every actor in England has been on Midsomer Murders at some point, like all New York actors appear on L&O at some point. 

I enjoy playing "I know that actor, bet they are the murderer!" I'm usually right. 

I call that the Columbo Syndrome.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:
13 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I call that the Columbo Syndrome.

A lot of them have been on more than once. Still don't mind Joyce, she's one of the better 'policeman wives'. Cully mellowed out somewhat also.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

A lot of them have been on more than once. Still don't mind Joyce, she's one of the better 'policeman wives'. Cully mellowed out somewhat also.

I liked Sarah Barnaby in the later series. And Sykes, I loved Sykes.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I liked Sarah Barnaby in the later series. And Sykes, I loved Sykes

As I'm still only about midway through the seasons, I'm still on OG Barnaby. I did a double take on this. What! Did Joyce die? He remarried???? Was glad to google that this was a new Barnaby LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

As I'm still only about midway through the seasons, I'm still on OG Barnaby. I did a double take on this. What! Did Joyce die? He remarried???? Was glad to google that this was a new Barnaby LOL.

Oops, sorry I thought it had been long enough that this was known.

14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I liked Sarah Barnaby in the later series. And Sykes, I loved Sykes.

Sykes! 🥰I love Sykesie. I really liked Sarah as well. I feel like her involvement in cases was more organic than Joyce. It just felt like they shoehorned Joyce into every case, and her and John had a great relationship, very playful.

I did love the ep with both Barnaby's, the one in Brighton. I liked John then so I was very happy when he took the lead later in the shows run.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oops, sorry I thought it had been long enough that this was known

oh, not an issue at all. I did (in the back of my mind) know there was a new star; just didn't realize he had the same last name!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Sykes! 🥰I love Sykesie. I really liked Sarah as well. I feel like her involvement in cases was more organic than Joyce. It just felt like they shoehorned Joyce into every case, and her and John had a great relationship, very playful.

I did love the ep with both Barnaby's, the one in Brighton. I liked John then so I was very happy when he took the lead later in the shows run.

Yes! I was so happy they continued the show. And not much really changed. John is just as cranky as Tom. And Charlie Nelson was so charming. The way he would complain about his landlady and John's perpetual "I don't care!"

• Love 3
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm watching Killings At Badger's Drift right now. First, I'd like to say, I'd love to live in a place called Badger's Drift and second, holy hell, Troy is a insufferable prig.

He's worse in the books, because the omniscient narrator would describe his thoughts, too.

Tom Barnaby = Original detective, married to Joyce. Only pet we ever heard of = Cully's Kilmouskie, the grey kitten

John Barnaby = Tom's cousin, took over for Tom in later seasons, married to Sarah.. Pet = the late Sykes, followed by Paddy. (The dog actor didn't die; he just got old & retired.)

11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's worse in the books, because the omniscient narrator would describe his thoughts, too.

Tom Barnaby = Original detective, married to Joyce. Only pet we ever heard of = Cully's Kilmouskie, the grey kitten

John Barnaby = Tom's cousin, took over for Tom in later seasons, married to Sarah.. Pet = the late Sykes, followed by Paddy. (The dog actor didn't die; he just got old & retired.)

The actor knowN as Sykes did pass away in June 2019.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

Scorpio1031 - Jones and Kate?  Did I somehow miss that pairing?

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think they meant Nelson.

In the episode "Written in the Stars", a psychic asked Jones about his feelings for a character who's name started with a K.  He got very flustered and it seemed to indicate he had a thing for Kate.  Jones moved to Brighton after he was promoted, and then Kate moved to Brighton soon after to work as a professor.  She was staying with Jones while house hunting.  Can't remember which ep is it, Jones sends Barnaby a pic of him and Kate together.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Yep, Jones and Kate ended up together but off the show sadly. I liked what little we saw of them and kind of wish they'd gotten them together on screen, but I'll take off screen if I must. 

I'm rewatching (for the lost track of the number time) one of my favorite eps. It's  got Troy and Joyce, but it was my first ep and the one that got me hooked on the show. Little Julie went around town drawing pictures of Jack Russell's. IDK why but that just hooked me. It was soooo quait British villagey. 

One thing that amuses me to no end on the show, I'm not from England, or the country, so I had no idea what kept screaming in the wood. There are so many eps where they show woods and there is this high pitched scream that sounds like a woman screaming in the distance. Best I can figure out it's some kind of fox, but it is 100% perfect atmosphere for a crime show. lol

I just watched The Green Man.  I have been a fan of MSM since the first episode, and have watched all of them.  This one was from 2003, so my memory was a bit rusty in remembering the characters/plot.  This one has to be one of my favorites, but it is bittersweet because it was the last one that included the newly promoted Inspector Troy.

• Like 1

That's the one where the rowdy boys kill the semi-tame fox, isn't it?  I was watching RIcky Gervais' "After Life" and the old man that played hobo Tom in this show was Gervais' Dad in a home suffering from Alzheimer's.  Then I saw him in something else, playing a healthy (but old) fairly intelligent man. Whew! I was beginning to wonder if he only play folks with mental problems.

• Love 2

Prevailing Wind, yes that is the episode.  All of those boys were played despicable characters.  One of the actors was Henry Cavell who later gained fame playing Superman.  The cruelty shown to the hobo Tom, and to the animals broke my heart.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, LisaM said:

Has anyone heard any news on when to expect new episodes?

Midsomer Murders season 22 release date

On Wednesday 10th March, ITV announced that Midsomer Murders would return on Sunday 21st March at 8pm on ITV. 

I don't know what this means for viewers in the States.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Midsomer Murders season 22 release date

On Wednesday 10th March, ITV announced that Midsomer Murders would return on Sunday 21st March at 8pm on ITV. 

I don't know what this means for viewers in the States.

That's my birthday!🥳

• Love 1

I discovered Midsomer a few months ago because of the pandemic. I'm just into the 3rd episode of season 14, John Barnaby. I am such a fan of John Nettles as Tom Barnaby. His caring take on policing is so endearing. I was let down when Gavin Troy left and the guy who first replaced him was quite forgettable, but Jones is a delight. I enjoyed the rapport between Tom Barnaby and Gavin Troy and the rapport between Tom and Jones.😆 John Barnaby is taking some getting used to, but Midsomer is still my guilty pleasure.

Almost finished with watching all the MM's for the 2nd time.  This time, I got to enjoy them with my husband, who didn't realize just how great these episodes are.  

I was not as fond of Joyce and Culley the first time around, I quite enjoyed them the second time around.  

We have done all the Pirot's, all the Father Brown's....there is just something about English Villages that I cannot get enough of.  I am so fortunate to have lived in a small village in the area that most of MM is filmed.  

Edited by Pine
forgot something
  • Love 4

I watched The Fisher King last night, and by the time it was over I was totally confused as to the relationship of everyone in the village.  Who was Miriam's mother, or was that ever stated?  For the entire episode I thought Harry Green and Anne were a "thing", but I guess I was wrong and he was still in love with Jane after so many years.  Also, I just realized that Harry and Jane were played by the actors who played in Downtown Abby, and who got married in that series. 

It wasn't my favorite episode, but it certainly was one of the most confusing ones.  

Edited by laredhead
added content
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Pine said:

Almost finished with watching all the MM's for the 2nd time.  This time, I got to enjoy them with my husband, who didn't realize just how great these episodes are.  

I was not as fond of Joyce and Culley the first time around, I quite enjoyed them the second time around.  

We have done all the Pirot's, all the Father Brown's....there is just something about English Villages that I cannot get enough of.  I am so fortunate to have lived in a small village in the area that most of MM is filmed.  

I agree. I live in Western Washington and the climate, landscape and countryside are very much like England. Wet, foggy and green. I love it here.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, peacheslatour said:

I agree. I live in Western Washington and the climate, landscape and countryside are very much like England. Wet, foggy and green. I love it here.

Me too!   It's just a titch colder there, and the snow seemed more drifting and would cover the roads that were not regularly used, up to the tops of the fence posts.  But, summer days, and evenings could not be beat.

• Love 2
Just now, Pine said:

Me too!   It's just a titch colder there, and the snow seemed more drifting and would cover the roads that were not regularly used, up to the tops of the fence posts.  But, summer days, and evenings could not be beat.

The next few months are going to be glorious. I've got so many flowers coming up and trees and shrubs budding. And the rain, I love the rain.

Dang "Death and Dreams" turned out to be both disturbing and sad. Also I haven't seen the Magnum PI reboot but I found out on Twitter the actress who plays the new female Higgins was the eldest daughter in this 2002 episode. She was a baby then!

cropped-Perdita-Weeks-YOGA.thumb.jpg.1b94945d7f65a21786c3101a8aa5c0eb.jpg

downloadfile.jpg.7fc4bbd9a90bf83615ae0c75bf7d6bef.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 3

I began a MM binge yesterday — several episodes got me through the tedious double-whammy of sorting through papers for my taxes AND for taking my ex to family court (again, some more). It’s the perfect thing to have on in the background during mindless, un-fun tasks. I’m halfway through Garden of Death, but particularly enjoyed Beyond the Grave (last ep of season 3) because of the always-great Prunella Scales, aka Sybil Fawlty.

My ex-sister in law, with whom I still have a good relationship because she recognizes that her brother is a shitbag and I am not, lives in East Sussex — a part of England that has so many Midsomer-ish features. They have a legit Tudor house for which, because it’s listed as a historical property, they needed special permission to add a tiny half-bath on the second floor. She’s a retired math (pardon me, “maths”) teacher who learned to make jewelry in her retirement and creates her designs in a studio she and her husband built on their property. Oh, and she was promoted to judge at the village fair, probably because everybody got sick of her winning all the events she entered as a contestant. 😄 She’s pretty much tailor-made to be a character in a MM episode—but not a victim, because she’s super-nice and I love her!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, spaceghostess said:

I began a MM binge yesterday — several episodes got me through the tedious double-whammy of sorting through papers for my taxes AND for taking my ex to family court (again, some more). It’s the perfect thing to have on in the background during mindless, un-fun tasks. I’m halfway through Garden of Death, but particularly enjoyed Beyond the Grave (last ep of season 3) because of the always-great Prunella Scales, aka Sybil Fawlty.

My ex-sister in law, with whom I still have a good relationship because she recognizes that her brother is a shitbag and I am not, lives in East Sussex — a part of England that has so many Midsomer-ish features. They have a legit Tudor house for which, because it’s listed as a historical property, they needed special permission to add a tiny half-bath on the second floor. She’s a retired math (pardon me, “maths”) teacher who learned to make jewelry in her retirement and creates her designs in a studio she and her husband built on their property. Oh, and she was promoted to judge at the village fair, probably because everybody got sick of her winning all the events she entered as a contestant. 😄 She’s pretty much tailor-made to be a character in a MM episode—but not a victim, because she’s super-nice and I love her!

This sounds exactly like my SIL. They live in Somerset on an old farm. They too have an old Tudor house although it is not on the registry because when they bought it it was a falling down wreck. They tore it down and rebuilt it with the original stones. It is beautiful. The interior looks like a castle because my BIL collects medieval suits of armor.

• Love 3

Given everything we have learned about small towns and villages in the UK via this show, I am glad none of your in-laws are either not murder victims or in jail for murder, attempted or otherwise.

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This sounds exactly like my SIL. They live in Somerset on an old farm. They too have an old Tudor house although it is not on the registry because when they bought it it was a falling down wreck. They tore it down and rebuilt it with the original stones. It is beautiful. The interior looks like a castle because my BIL collects medieval suits of armor.

Oh, that sounds amazing. And the suits of armor—very Midsomer-ish!!

• Love 2
(edited)

Me two thirds of the way through "A Tale of Two Hamlets": "Man, this actress looks so familiar. I swear I've seen her be- CORDELIA FROM BRIDESHEAD REVISITED!"

oie_87293vOn4trNO.thumb.jpg.23059df6bc313e17140cf51614963270.jpg

8b81d85050984c4405f7ca80727761cc.jpg.301c8de3792070651382e8ddeca8bfee.jpg

"Charles? Modern art is all bosh, isn't it?"

"Great bosh, Cordelia."

"Oh, I am glad!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2