Type keyword(s) to search

Midsomer Murders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It must run in the family because that's how I felt about Joyce and Cully. Every play or job Cully got someone got murdered. Every hobby Joyce had someone got murdered. Hell, they tried to conspire to get Tom to buy a houseboat and someone gets murdered. I guess they were lucky they had a cop in the family for the number of murders that took place wherever they went. 

Maybe they were actually serial killers who were good at framing other people for their murders.  (Peaches beat me to the Jessica Fletcher reference.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe they were actually serial killers who were good at framing other people for their murders.  (Peaches beat me to the Jessica Fletcher reference.)

Maybe Joyce is one of Jessica Fletcher's many cousins.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

You can never invite Hercules Poirot, Jane Marple, Agatha Raisin or any Barnaby to an event. There's sure to be a dead body.

But I do not care.

I love these Brit Mysteries so much. The scenery. The settings. How everyone knows everyone else. How it's always someone from the choir, bellringers, art group, horse show, festival planning committee who is the murderer. I love it. So so so much.

During the pandemic, these shows have been a balm to my soul. I'm in my Midsomer rewatch, season 12 now. I hasn't been a Jones fan before, but he's really grown on me. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
22 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I love these Brit Mysteries so much. The scenery. The settings.

That reminds me, I just got up to "Murder of Innocence" (a complicated plot around a released prisoner returning to the village he was from years ago) and the program opens at a grungy bus station. I thought "they have BUS STATIONS in MIDSOMER? Who knew?"

I mean we never see actual citified stuff LOL.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

During the pandemic, these shows have been a balm to my soul. I'm in my Midsomer rewatch, season 12 now. I hasn't been a Jones fan before, but he's really grown on me. 

I've always loved Jones, although the show never could make up its mind about his backstory. They hired a Welsh actor with a Welsh accent, occasionally scripted comments about his childhood and family in Wales, but then also kept trying to tell stories about him going to school in that most English of English counties, Midsomer...

28 minutes ago, dleighg said:

That reminds me, I just got up to "Murder of Innocence" (a complicated plot around a released prisoner returning to the village he was from years ago) and the program opens at a grungy bus station. I thought "they have BUS STATIONS in MIDSOMER? Who knew?"

I mean we never see actual citified stuff LOL.

Causton. Midsomer is a county mostly made up of small villages, but Causton is a large town and seems to be the main centre of population in the county. I forget the episode, but the bus station would almost certainly be in Causton!

• Useful 2
13 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I forget the episode, but the bus station would almost certainly be in Causton!

yes, it was. But didn't Tom Barnaby live in Causton? I guess we never saw much of the exterior of where he lived; just inside his house. I haven't paid much attention; does John Barnaby also live in Causton? I guess what I'm saying is that we never saw much of Causton other than the police station.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Llywela said:

I've always loved Jones, although the show never could make up its mind about his backstory. They hired a Welsh actor with a Welsh accent, occasionally scripted comments about his childhood and family in Wales, but then also kept trying to tell stories about him going to school in that most English of English counties, Midsomer...

Causton. Midsomer is a county mostly made up of small villages, but Causton is a large town and seems to be the main centre of population in the county. I forget the episode, but the bus station would almost certainly be in Causton!

It was years before I realized Causton wasn't Corston. Bwhahaha.

Jones was so meh to me, but he's improved. I kind of loved Troy. He was crass and tactless and bigoted, but at the same time, delightful. I also loved that the sergeants are competent. I remember when I first watched and Troy would come up to Barnaby and say, "Sir, I spoke with blah blah and found out yadda yadda, so researched the fishcakes and found out major clue!" So many shows have the underlings as totally clueless to bolster the "smarts" of the lead detective. (Hi Walt Longmire.)

So...Neil Dudgeon narrates the Cherringham Cozy novels by Michael Costello. So many murders/crimes in a small town with one police officer so a retired NYC detective and a graphic designer do the investigating. Bwhahah. I love them. Neil's "female" voices a terrible, and are hard to distinguish from his "elderly male pensioner" voices. I can never look at him the same way in Midsomer without hearing his weird voices. (By the way, Neil Dudgeon's bad voices make me appreciate Hugh Fraser's readings of the Poirot books.)

Just give me a bunch of village crime. Love it. Love it so much.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

yes, it was. But didn't Tom Barnaby live in Causton? I guess we never saw much of the exterior of where he lived; just inside his house. I haven't paid much attention; does John Barnaby also live in Causton? I guess what I'm saying is that we never saw much of Causton other than the police station.

We do actually see a fair bit of Causton, over the years. It's a decent-sized town. There's a theatre there (Joyce was in a play one time, so naturally the cast started dropping dead all around her). It houses the police station. And yes, both Barnaby families are based in Causton.

I always preferred Jones to Troy and Scott. He had a bit more nous about him, right from the start. And a fine line in sarcasm.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

But didn't Tom Barnaby live in Causton?

He did. I remember one ep when he and Joyce were at some little pub in some tiny village and I think she said something about how nice it would be to live in such a quaint village and Tom was all "um, the only time I come to these villages is when someone's been murdered so I think I'll stay in the city thanks" (paraphrasing, of course but that was the gist of it and the moment I knew Midsomer Murders was the show for me. Because it poked fun at it's very premise, that quaint English villages are dangerous places to live.)

I was a Jones and John Barnaby gal. They were my favorite pairing. Couldn't stand Troy. Charlie was my second favorite, mainly because he was so pretty to look at and I'm that shallow. 

I loved all three pathologists, George, Kate and Cam. I haven't been able to see newer eps so IDK if Cam is gone now or not. 

• Love 2

It's a new ME played by Annete Badland. Hiring a veteran like that they definitely gave her more to do and even dramatic moments like in "The Miniature Murders" It guest stars 60s British cinema legend Eleanor Bron(HELP!, Bedazzled) is in "The Miniature Murders". I don't get:

Spoiler

Eleanor Bron shot a man breaking into her shop. Maybe it's different in the UK but that's not murder. She should have called the police. No one would've convicted a frightened old woman who clearly acted in self defence. The red headed girl should have gotten her to call the police and a good lawyer  instead of freaking out hiding the body which made things worse and led to her killing two more people!  Also it bums me out when the murderer is pretty like the redhead. Hey I can be shallow too!

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

It's a new ME played by Annete Badland. Hiring a veteran like that they definitely gave her more to do and even dramatic moments like in "The Miniature Murders" It guest stars 60s British cinema legend Eleanor Bron(HELP!, Bedazzled) is in "The Miniature Murders". I don't get:

Hide contents

Eleanor Bron shot a man breaking into her shop. Maybe it's different in the UK but that's not murder. She should have called the police. No one would've convicted a frightened old woman who clearly acted in self defence. The red headed girl should have gotten her to call the police and a good lawyer  instead of freaking out hiding the body which made things worse and led to her killing two more people!  Also it bums me out when the murderer is pretty like the redhead. Hey I can be shallow too!

Annette Badland's ME is called Fleur and she is wonderfully eccentric.

In fairness to the episode you critique, 

Spoiler

we only see the old woman being arrested and driven away, we aren't told what she is ultimately charged with. Whether the charge is murder or manslaughter, it still needs to be processed. Plus, she concealed a body. And had possession of an illegal firearm, which she used to kill the robber. Plenty of charges there for the police to have to work through.

She could have saved herself a lot of heartache (not to mention saving two lives) by simply calling the police when it first happened, yes, but the story we got was that instead she went into shock, which is understandable enough. She couldn't process what she had done. And then her lodger came home - she should have called the authorities, not having the excuse of being traumatised, but instead she panicked, tried to cover it all up, and then murdered two people. So the real tragedy was that the old lady took in such an unstable character as her protegee!

• Love 2

I loved the opening of S22 e3 (Happy Families), another fun episode. One of my favorite mystery settings is an isolated location where the investigators are stuck with the suspects. Is this the first time that's been used on this show? I also appreciated the production design, some of the shots (like when Fleur is leaving on the ferry), and another great guest star in Rachel Stirling. Bonus points for the mini Jonathan Creek reunion with Caroline Quentin and Stuart Milligan.

Maureen Johnson recently published the book Your Guide to Not Getting Murdered in a Quaint English Village that pokes fun at some of the tropes often found in English murder mysteries. It's also illustrated. It looks like such a fun read!

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the S22, ep 3 (Happy Families) episode but what was up with Rachel Stirling's (Mrs. Karras) voice? It seemed to switch between normal and raspy a few times during the episode, and I wasn't sure if that was the actor's choice of voice inflection or if she maybe had a cold or allergies affecting her. Another thing I noticed--both Neil Dudgeon and Fiona Dolman appeared older-looking this time. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, J-Man said:

Did anyone else think it was odd that both Mr. Karras and Joshua were clearly American (or Canadian) but no mention of it was ever made? 

I certainly couldn't figure out what Joshua's accent was supposed to be and since it was never mentioned where he might be from, it just left me puzzled. Now that I think about it her accent was a little strange too, someone posted her voice seeming to change tone, wonder if it was her trying to maintain her accent? 

I'm still playing catchup. I'm just in Series 14.

For some reason I missed a bunch of eps, so after reading comments here, I decided to watch 'Death and Dreams.' The actress, Perdita Weeks, who played one of the daughters, looked so familiar to me, but when I checked her IMDB page, nothing stood out. I could picture her in another show I'd watched. It was slowly coming to me. I googled "English police show 1940s," and up popped Foyle's War. The actress was Honeysuckle Weeks, Perdita's sister!

Edited by peeayebee
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I do love Fleur. The last scene where we glimpsed Fleur standing in the front of the boat in her red jacket cracked me up. 

I thought that this was a very good episode. I enjoyed seeing Caroline Quentin.

• Love 2

Something I noticed on this show but it goes for all other mystery shows like Murder She Wrote. Doesn't matter if the killer was a regular person who acted in the heat of the moment and never killed anyone before, they are cool as cucumbers under police investigation!  However if it were a suspense thriller story where the audience sees that same character commit murder any time they'd interact with anyone afterwards they're like:

sweat-sweating.gif.6570476350e2bd5ae952ea55b613f1a5.gif

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 9/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, peeayebee said:

I'm still playing catchup. I'm just in Series 14.

For some reason I missed a bunch of eps, so after reading comments here, I decided to watch 'Death and Dreams.' The actress, Perdita Weeks, who played one of the daughters, looked so familiar to me, but when I checked her IMDB page, nothing stood out. I could picture her in another show I'd watched. It was slowly coming to me. I googled "English police show 1940s," and up popped Foyle's War. The actress was Honeysuckle Weeks, Perdita's sister!

Perdita is Higgins in the Magnum PI reboot.  Don’t know if you have seen that:)

• Useful 2

No. There were a couple of shows/movies on her IMDB page that I've seen, but I don't remember her in them.

And then today I watched a show with Ed Weeks in it. Of course I had to wonder if he was related. 🤣

• LOL 1

So, doing my rewatch, S14E3, Echoes of the Dead. I found it to be a real departure in tone. It's the one which starts out with a woman dressed as a bride drowned in the bathtub, and the big final scene is John Barnaby talking to the killer as they sit at the kitchen table. Throughout the episode, Jones is struggling with the new Barnaby and John having a degree in psychology. We are introduced to Sarah this episode as well.

I disliked it. I remember this episode totally turning me off John Barnaby. I know I kept watching after this because I remember the next episode, which included the actress who played Molly Kendall in Julia McEwan's Marple A Caribbean Mystery. 

But ugh...this might have been my least favorite episode ever. It was all proving how we should love the new Barnaby because he was soooo clever and some weird edgy take on the show.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Typo
  • Love 2

I am now mid-season 20 and it took two full seasons before I warmed up to John Barnaby at all. I wasn't crazy about the addition of a dog side kick either and just felt sorry for poor Jones most eps. But I stuck with it and now I like John well enough, like the wife and Betty (not crazy about that name but that might be a specifically American perspective) and they have toned down use of the dog.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, isalicat said:

I am now mid-season 20 and it took two full seasons before I warmed up to John Barnaby at all. I wasn't crazy about the addition of a dog side kick either and just felt sorry for poor Jones most eps. But I stuck with it and now I like John well enough, like the wife and Betty (not crazy about that name but that might be a specifically American perspective) and they have toned down use of the dog.

Betty was my grandmother's name (on her birth certificate, it wasn't short for anything), so that's what I always think of when I hear it on-screen! It's one of those old-fashioned names that has become trendy again in recent years.

It took me a while to warm up to John Barnaby as well.

Edited by Llywela

I used to work with a woman whose sister was named "Betty Elizabeth" - after great grandmothers.

I still haven't "warmed" up to John, Sarah nor Betty. I DO like the dog. Is it odd that I still miss Tom, Joyce & Cully?  And Ben?  I haven't really liked any of the doorkick cops since Ben (Y'know - like a sidekick, but all they seem to do is kick in doors and run after bad guys.)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is it odd that I still miss Tom, Joyce & Cully? 

Yes, yes it is. lol kidding. I couldn't stand Tom, Joyce or Cully so I'm a bit biased. My favorite duo was John (whom I liked instantly, which seems a bit of an OU much to my surprise) and Ben. And I love Sykes and would have been fine with Sykesy being in on all the cases. Honestly, he'd have made a better side kick than some of the human side kicks on the show. 

My two favorite eps are the one where Ben goes undercover at the Ooblong Society. I quite liked him in the scruff and glasses and I'm shallow so that's enough for me. The shower scene didn't hurt either lol. And the one with the "haunted" house that was for sale and people kept dying 

Spoiler

the one where the one twin was the killer but the other took the wrap. I liked the innocent brother very much, and his relationship with the young boy he was teaching piano, and it kind of had a happy ending. 

• Love 2

My two favorite eps are the one where Ben goes undercover at the Ooblong Society. I quite liked him in the scruff and glasses and I'm shallow so that's enough for me. The shower scene didn't hurt either lol. And the one with the "haunted" house that was for sale and people kept dying 

I really liked those as well. Also was not a fan of Joyce but I didn't really mind Cully. I have no problem with John and his various side kicks. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have no problem with John and his various side kicks

at least they didn't do it like back-in-the-day soap operas who just introduced a new actor with no explanation, for the same character. (Do they still do that?) I like both Barnabys. I'm easy I guess. I do think the newer Mrs Barnaby (I'm terrible with names) is kind of too pretty for him.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

And the one with the "haunted" house that was for sale and people kept dying 

"The House in the Woods" - Ben's first appearance.

The one I really hate is "The Green Man" - with that old guy living rough and the teen bullies who torment him and kill his vixen.  I didn't mind the rest of the secondary plots - that guy wanting to re-open the canal so he could get a knighthood, but killing the fox is unforgivable for me. I don't care how many people get killed, but the fox...no. Just no.

I'll watch, but roll my eyes (is it Dance with the Dead?) where the barmy old woman keeps leaving a change of clothes for her brother who died in WWII and she keeps expecting him to come back in uniform.

The other two that boggle me are "The Noble Art" (about the boxing competition) and "Blood Will Out" (The one with the two couples that swapped spouses and the Travelers in town at the time one of 'em gets murdered.)  Both the main guy of the Travelers and the rich guy sponsoring the boxing match are played by Kevin McNally, who played Gibbs, Capt. Jack Sparrow's First Mate, in the PotC movies.  I'm surprised that he's the same guy in all 3 roles - I didn't recognize him from one to the next.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

at least they didn't do it like back-in-the-day soap operas who just introduced a new actor with no explanation, for the same character. (Do they still do that?) I like both Barnabys. I'm easy I guess. I do think the newer Mrs Barnaby (I'm terrible with names) is kind of too pretty for him.

They do! A VO comes in with "The role of Blaze Doorknob is now being played by Steve Stunning."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The one I really hate is "The Green Man" - with that old guy living rough and the teen bullies who torment him and kill his vixen.  I didn't mind the rest of the secondary plots - that guy wanting to re-open the canal so he could get a knighthood, but killing the fox is unforgivable for me. I don't care how many people get killed, but the fox...no. Just no.

I skip that one when it comes on. I can't watch gang bullying or animal death so that's a double whammy for me. 

10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Both the main guy of the Travelers and the rich guy sponsoring the boxing match are played by Kevin McNally, who played Gibbs, Capt. Jack Sparrow's First Mate, in the PotC movies.  I'm surprised that he's the same guy in all 3 roles - I didn't recognize him from one to the next.

This show is definitely the Law and Order of the UK, even though the UK had it's own Law and Order:UK, in that have the fun is playing "I know that guy!" 

The funniest though is that John Barnaby played a suspect in an early ep. (looked it up) Garden of Death. The one with Susan from Coupling and Miss Hardbroom from the old version of The Worst Witch. I think Neil Dudgeon's character was supposed to be a bit of a player. He was the gardener. 

Then he showed up in another of my favorite eps, The Sword of Guilliame aka the two Barnaby's which had a great cast! (I was so excited to see Lord Percy Percy Captain Darling!!!!! from Blackadder, even if he was a total dick). It is also the most confusing ep for me, the end look between Barnaby and the guy in the wheel chair. I feel like the look between them was supposed to mean something but I have no clue what it was supposed to mean. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The other two that boggle me are "The Noble Art" (about the boxing competition)

I only watched a third of that one(one of only two times I've done that-- the other was the something stag which I read enough of the plot to stay away from) as I absolutely HATE boxing and have zero interest in anything about it.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

I only watched a third of that one(one of only two times I've done that-- the other was the something stag which I read enough of the plot to stay away from) as I absolutely HATE boxing and have zero interest in anything about it.

I hated the one where on a certain day of the year all the men would drag off some random women for sex. That's all I remember because I couldn't stomach the episode.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, it was just awful.

Hands down the worst ep. It was disgusting. And no offence to the actor who played the main "stag" guy because he was perfect in that part. he gave me the creeps just standing there. That's another one that I won't watch. It just turns my stomach. 

• Love 3
Just now, Mabinogia said:

Hands down the worst ep. It was disgusting. And no offence to the actor who played the main "stag" guy because he was perfect in that part. he gave me the creeps just standing there. That's another one that I won't watch. It just turns my stomach. 

Neither will I nor the one with horrible local thugs killing the fox.

• Love 1

Last night I watched Season 20, I think episode 4, which is all about goings on a rugby club and John gets to revisit his lost athletic youth...pretty good one but I kept being taken out of the plot by the appearance of "Roger From Outlander" in a main role. I had the hardest time focusing on him as this star rugby player who is not coping very well with his life; too much cognitive dissonance seeing him in entirely modern gear !

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"The House in the Woods" - Ben's first appearance.

That’s the one with young Henry Cavill, right? He’s one of the tormentors who gets killed. And the old guy living rough is Walder Frey from GoT/Filch from the Harry Potter films.

MM is always “spot that actor and name who they played in HP, GoT, Marple, Poirot or The Tudors.”

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Warren Clarke, Dalziel of Dalziel & Pascoe AND - the one that blew my mind - Dim from A Clockwork Orange.

And y'all are right - I forgot about that one. That's on the list with the Green Man/teen bullies/killed vixen as a "do not ever watch again."

I've only ever seen the old guy in one other thing, that I know of. He played Ricky Gervais' Alzheimer-afflicted dad in After Life.  David Bradley. Oh, I see he's been in Broadchurch, but I don't remember him.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Warren Clarke, Dalziel of Dalziel & Pascoe AND - the one that blew my mind - Dim from A Clockwork Orange.

You've made me google...

dim_stry.jpg?resize=540,400&ssl=1

David Bradley. Oh, I see he's been in Broadchurch, but I don't remember him.

He was the newsstand seller who was harassed to a tragic end.

• Useful 2
On 10/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, dleighg said:

I do think the newer Mrs Barnaby (I'm terrible with names) is kind of too pretty for him.

Neil D can be seen in a much younger version in episodes of Morse, and Mrs. Bradley Mysteries (among others I’ve forgotten now). He was extremely handsome, trim, and fit. Females swooned over these younger characters, so others thought so as well. While the Mrs. might be a bit young for him, I never thought she was too good-looking to be paired with him (and his dimples). 

• Love 2

I had to come back for another comment. I agree wholeheartedly with those who turned to these “cozy village mysteries” during the isolation brought on by the pandemic. So in searching for other things to watch I happened upon Bergerac. I didn’t even recognize the cover picture of a very young John Nettles! I watched the first season and, during the first few episodes, was haunted by how much JN’s appearance reminded me of someone else-finally got it! Daniel Casey (Troy) looks very similar to the very young John Nettles as seen in Bergerac and I wondered if that was a factor in his getting the role of Troy. 

• Useful 2

I enjoyed the S22, ep 4 that's on Acorn. We finally get to see Betty again, although she didn't have much to do--at least she still exists and she's not a baby/toddler anymore. One noticeable thing (probably because of the pandemic) is that Barnaby and Winters now drive in separate cars to the various crime scenes. I won't say more about the actual episode except that I thought it was very good and the resolution to the murders actually made sense.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kimaken said:

I enjoyed the S22, ep 4 that's on Acorn. We finally get to see Betty again, although she didn't have much to do--at least she still exists and she's not a baby/toddler anymore. One noticeable thing (probably because of the pandemic) is that Barnaby and Winters now drive in separate cars to the various crime scenes. I won't say more about the actual episode except that I thought it was very good and the resolution to the murders actually made sense.

Your post saddens me. Alas, I dumped Acorn (but only after getting to watch the long-awaited Miss Fisher movie) and picked up Britbox (on Prime) instead. Having done that, of course, Acorn upped their game. I can only watch S22, E1!!!
Chances are I’ll have a long wait to watch the remaining 3 episodes. 

2 hours ago, Daff said:

Your post saddens me. Alas, I dumped Acorn (but only after getting to watch the long-awaited Miss Fisher movie) and picked up Britbox (on Prime) instead. Having done that, of course, Acorn upped their game. I can only watch S22, E1!!!

Wait until you're sure Acorn has dropped the rest of the season and sign up for just one month. It's only, what, five bucks?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Daff said:

I was torn between having Britbox or Acorn, but I wanted to watch Vera and for whatever contractual reasons, some seasons are ONLY on Acorn, while the other seasons are ONLY on Britbox--so I ended up getting both to keep me company while working from home last year (came back to work in Dec). I do enjoy seeing stuff from Canada, Australia, and New Zealand that are avialable on Acorn, while Britbox only shows British tv shows. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, kimaken said:

I was torn between having Britbox or Acorn, but I wanted to watch Vera and for whatever contractual reasons, some seasons are ONLY on Acorn, while the other seasons are ONLY on Britbox--so I ended up getting both to keep me company while working from home last year (came back to work in Dec). I do enjoy seeing stuff from Canada, Australia, and New Zealand that are avialable on Acorn, while Britbox only shows British tv shows. 

Paying for both for a month is less than a ticket to a movie, and I get hours more enjoyment whenever I want it.

Rewatching the episode with Gaius Baltar (James Callis, S14E1, The Dark Rider) playing twins. Callis is not good in either role. He's trying too hard. And I kept thinking of him as Baltar.

I do like Kate, the pathologist.

• Like 1
  • Love 1