Type keyword(s) to search

America's Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show has the BEST background scoring! The whole whole DCC is being subtly roasted, and I hope they never catch on.

Victoria's music in the firstst episode is KILLING me! 

• Like 2
On 6/24/2024 at 5:11 PM, GBDCCfan said:

I jumped ahead to the Thanksgiving Game episode because I wanted to test the waters and I wanted to see how they worked it all out with Dolly Parton. Way too many Kalinas for my taste so I will not be watching the rest of it.

Oh, you're missing out. The Kalina's are framed as pathetic.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:43 AM, TUOwl84 said:

It seems like the general public really dislikes this series. 

I think the public likes the series, but doesn't like the Cowboys organization.

• Like 1
On 7/5/2024 at 6:02 PM, snarts said:

^ it's on his linkedin profile. He's a bachelors in finance/marketing. Dallas is an extremely hot job market. It appears he never worked prior to graduating college nor did he have any internships, which is very odd for a finance/marketing major. Wondering if his GPA was bad or if he quotes bible verses for every interview answer.

Reece's degree is in dance. https://www.linkedin.com/in/reece-weaver-697a93191/ What exactly does one do with that? Teach?

Reece is going to be so far out in front of Will in five years that he'll spend his whole life trying to catch up. 

• Like 4

The People article was interesting. I didn’t know the uniform had several changes including no belt for a few years, different boots and adding sparkles. I don’t believe Kelli about the shorts being the same size. They look longer in the earlier photos. The fabric also looks different now. It looks more stretchy and less like traditional shorts. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

The People article was interesting. I didn’t know the uniform had several changes including no belt for a few years, different boots and adding sparkles. I don’t believe Kelli about the shorts being the same size. They look longer in the earlier photos. The fabric also looks different now. It looks more stretchy and less like traditional shorts. 

Also, one episode on MTT the seamstress even said they are shorter this year…and stated a dimension but can’t remember exactly what that was.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, M1977G said:

OK, my mouth was hanging open multiple times during the podcast. Right after the part where she says no one came to her birthday after being invited, the host asks her about who Netflix selected the DCC and TCC who'd get main story lines. VK said she didn't pay any attention to that or to who was miced up when or how often--but that totally goes against the Reddit account about TK flipping out on Armani because Armani took up too much mic and camera time. I do believe that story, and I just feel like VK is doing way too much to spin her story to be her as the victim and just an innocent that fans are drawn to and others get jealous. And, she said the Netflix producer is now like her "brother" and he will always have her back, so I guess I have some idea why TK showing her dance-mom ass with Armani and Chandi story didn't make the documentary. And oh, wow, now she's saying she thinks it's "wild" that the crew picked up on how she was kind of an outcast but no one in the organization had noticed for her 4 years there. There's either a massive lack of self-awareness or she's actively trying to mold this story her way, maybe a mix of both. And now I'm on the floor because VK she said her mom was "the perfect dance mom" and they want to start some kind of good dance mom show. Ew.

Interesting that neither VK nor TK have talked to Kelli since the show aired. 

Hearing her talk about how serious her depression was shocked me, though. I hope her break from DCC and move to NYC help her find her way and be healthy and genuinely happier.

The comment “Interesting that neither VK or TK have talked to Kelli since the show aired”…..was that in her podcast?  I believe they both went to Sam’s wedding but I do not know the timelines off the top of my head.

I base my opinions of VK & TK from the time when VK was not chosen for the team and they did not show up for an evening of Meet the Team.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, An Offt said:

Reece is going to be so far out in front of Will in five years that he'll spend his whole life trying to catch up. 

They struck me as the "we got married so we could have sex" kind of religious youth. Source: I grew up being forced to go to strict Baptist church and was shamed about sex.

1 minute ago, Jazzmom said:

The comment “Interesting that neither VK or TK have talked to Kelli since the show aired”…..was that in her podcast?  I believe they both went to Sam’s wedding but I do not know the timelines off the top of my head.

Victoria and Sam are supposedly best friends, and it seems that VK was in Sam's wedding party. TK was definitely at the wedding as well. I hate that I know this, but I've been lurking on Victoria's IG.

I have such mixed feelings about Victoria. I see her as some others do--that she's been sheltered and fed a bunch of extremely biased garbage from her mother (who is also her "best friend") whose greatest accomplishment was being a DCC, so it was everything for VK to live up to. When she faltered (not making the team initially and then taking a year off), she felt herself to be a complete failure, and that message kept playing over and over in her head, as another poster mentioned.

However, that birthday video--both the TikTok and the deliberate refilming of it on the Netflix show--is pure cringe. VK is never going to grow unless she steps out of mommy's shadow, but will TK ever allow that?

In truth, she's a really beautiful dancer (and I will die on this hill) who I think would thrive under the right circumstances with the right encouragement. She works so hard, is so eager, and is a people pleaser. The right people will appreciate and develop those qualities.

• Like 3

Just finished binging this. I watched a few early episodes of MTT, but lost interest. I did love the America’s Girls podcast, and was glad to see the creator on here.
I totally agree with the person who said TK and VK are “Grey Gardens” in the making because yikes! That birthday party intro reminded me so much of Edie’s flag dance. Plus VK in that twin bed with the ballet shoe art and DCC stuff, all the pink! pink! pink! - just major arrested development while she also manages to look about a decade older than 24 with the heavy makeup and tanning. That said- she’s reality TV gold, and I will be there with bells on for a VK in NY show.

Overall, I found the show very educational about a certain segment of southern white womanhood and their values. My dad’s side of the family is in Tuscaloosa while I was raised in the NYC area so Reese and her ilk fascinate me. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

How does Kelly still have DCC Barbies in her closet?  Every year I think she is to be out of them by now, but then every year some girls get them. 

• LOL 6
(edited)

Victoria's "year off" - anyone else remember the other show stating that she was working as a dancer on a cruise line? Wonder if she quit after a few days and returned home and began her year off.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Victoria's "year off" - anyone else remember the other show stating that she was working as a dancer on a cruise line? Wonder if she quit after a few days and returned home and began her year off.

I’m pretty sure it was Dayton who went to dance on a cruise ship.

Edited by GeorgieNY
Typo
  • Like 4
On 7/10/2024 at 4:41 PM, StellaCL said:

The pile on is a bit tacky, even if deserved. It will only make her feel more attacked and isolated - someone that clearly is already really struggling. Even if that podcast struck a nerve - it seems like one or two comments would suffice.

Some of these more senior vets, like Kelcey, would understand that TV narrative is often so skewed from reality. I thought the bday party was staged by producers to appear lonely. I guess not fully? And maybe they were invited last minute, but didn't get it? Seems like Victoria's communication, or lack thereof, if anything, was constantly misunderstood. I don't think she was a master manipulator trying to not have friends, but I could see how once she ran into difficulty she got stuck in that loop in her head. 

Nah, if someone is going to drag me publicly I am going to defend myself. Good for them for telling the truth. Victoria is a liar. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
On 7/13/2024 at 2:56 PM, bilgistic said:

I have such mixed feelings about Victoria.

Same, but she absolutely nailed it when she referred to the uniform as "baby clothes."

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 6/29/2024 at 6:44 PM, Armchair Critic said:

The video of Kelli as a cheerleader was pure cringe.

I remember what a big deal the DCC were in the 80's and when they were on The Love Boat.

Victoria looked much heavier in the scenes where she is wearing the hoodie. Her smile always looks forced, I kind of felt bad for her because she was trying so hard but just didn't have that special *it* factor.

Reece has the *it* factor but her personality could be annoying. Her boyfriend seems nice but when Kelli said she was surprised when she met him, let's be honest I think looks wise she was surprised about him.

Makes me sad that a lot of the women feel like their best years were as cheerleaders. Maybe it's because I am the type who doesn't go to my high school reunion. 😂

The show also proves how hair and makeup can change your looks. No judgment, I always wished I had the type of natural beauty where I could roll out of bed and look great but I look better with my hair and makeup done.

That’s what makes me sad about any “glory days” story focused on high school or early adulthood.  When I was in high school and old people would tell me “these are the best days of your life” I wanted to kill myself.  Not literally, but seriously, if that was the best, what did I have to look forward to?  I enjoy my life at least as much now in my 50s as I did then, because I have built upon it with education, career, marriage to a wonderful partner, and kids and grandchildren, not to mention longtime and newfound friends.

• Like 10
On 7/2/2024 at 7:12 PM, Retired at last said:

I think the salary people accept is the same as the people who work at Disney, for the prestige, I guess. 

Dressing up as a Princess and being nice to children for $15 an hour is a lot easier and much better paid than what any NFL cheerleader does, and the DCC have to wear boots doing it.

• Like 3
On 7/13/2024 at 2:23 PM, Jazzmom said:

I base my opinions of VK & TK from the time when VK was not chosen for the team and they did not show up for an evening of Meet the Team.  

Yes, VK said that in the podcast interview--that neither she or her mom had talked to Kelli. I don't know if the interview was before Sam's wedding, but it aired after the wedding. So, either VK was lying/exaggerating or they did not speak up until or close to the wedding. Either seems possible to me. And, interesting point that they did not show up to the Meet the Team event the year she was cut! I never noted that, even though I always like it when they show TCCs who were cut who showed up to cheer the team on. I remember Kristen being there the year she was cut.

On 7/13/2024 at 5:33 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

I totally agree with the person who said TK and VK are “Grey Gardens” in the making because yikes! That birthday party intro reminded me so much of Edie’s flag dance. Plus VK in that twin bed with the ballet shoe art and DCC stuff, all the pink! pink! pink! - just major arrested development while she also manages to look about a decade older than 24 with the heavy makeup and tanning. That said- she’s reality TV gold, and I will be there with bells on for a VK in NY show.

Overall, I found the show very educational about a certain segment of southern white womanhood and their values. My dad’s side of the family is in Tuscaloosa while I was raised in the NYC area so Reese and her ilk fascinate me. 

Yes to all of this.

• Like 5
On 7/13/2024 at 11:23 AM, Jazzmom said:

6 hours ago, M1977G said:

Yes, VK said that in the podcast interview--that neither she or her mom had talked to Kelli. I don't know if the interview was before Sam's wedding, but it aired after the wedding. So, either VK was lying/exaggerating or they did not speak up until or close to the wedding. Either seems possible to me.

Sam's wedding was June 8th.

America's Sweethearts wasn't released until June 20th.

• Useful 1

For those who wondered what happened to Kitty Carter, seems she went to NYC to see VK.  The more I see of VK the more I feel for her…she seems to want to distance herself from DCC but can’t because it’s all she knows!  She wears mainly DCC logos, and anyone notice her teaching the DCC  routines  as her own?  And TK is attention seeking as well…doing DCC moves at some book signing.  

On 7/8/2024 at 10:29 PM, Blue hues said:

I find it interesting that VK says she wants to find herself away from DCC, but instead that is what she continues to identify with, ride the gravy train so to speak.   Goes around wearing mostly DCC logos and dancing on the street, while mom films.    Both are obsessed with being center of attention check  the Youtube channel.  Also found it interesting that VK is teaching DCc routines in NYC as her choreography

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Hope this isn't a repeat post. Kelli, Kelcey Wetterberg (5th yr vet) and Reece Weaver (Rookie) appeared on TODAY a couple weeks ago.  They were interviewed then some of the other DCC (not sure who) joined in to teach the hosts choreo.  I hadn't seen this mentioned.  I thought Kelcey put her uniform on the "retire' rack for America's Sweethearts. Did she decide to do All Stars?  ETA I see Sophy (the girl that had the camera guy "touch" her) and one other girl I recognize in the group shot.

Edited by JarlenaFan2024
added something
  • Like 2
On 7/22/2024 at 4:48 PM, dccfangirl said:

Sorry a bit off topic but whenever anyone talks about eyebrow blindness I think about Gina's last season - 

Where have I been?  Did not know there was a segment called Overtime! Thanks!

Okay, can someone help me out here, because the math is just not mathing for me.

According to this article from People:

https://people.com/how-much-do-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-make-8672926

the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders make $15-$20 an hour, $500 a game, $75,000 a year.  Do they get paid for practices and other official events?  Because $20 an hour does not work out to $500 a game and since there are only about twenty games a season, that does not work out to $75,000 a year.  Next season, there are twenty-one games scheduled, but that only puts them at $10,500, so is the rest made up of practices, appearances and calendar money?  I'm so confused!

(edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 11:15 PM, KickBallFall said:

Discussion of the birthday drama around 20ish minutes. 

Thanks for this, very interesting interview!

I used to watch the CMT show and now the Netflix show, never much liked Victoria.

She seems nice in the interview though, I liked her more than on the shows.

Her and her mother were portrayed as somewhat pathetic on the show, but not to the point were you wouldn't be able to go out in public anymore. As someone watching this as an adult, I was wondering if there is an unhealthy dynamic in the family as a whole, not just between VK and her mother.

I don't know anything about the rest of the family, but VK mentionning that her father and brothers have never once come to a recital - that's not normal to me in a loving family.

I also got the impression that DCC is not a healthy environment for VK. I get that she loves her Mom and that it's great being close, and that TK had the time of her life there, but you gotta have your own dreams and be your own person. Perhaps some distance would be beneficial.

Also in the relationship with K & J with VK, I'm not sure that the personal relationship was helpful. It's a cutthroat business where K & J may be managers, but at the end of the day KF is not the owner, she's also an employee and needs to justify her decisions. I really doubt that it's this pink, fluffy, feel-good atmosphere when it comes down to the cold hard numbers which KF needs to deliver.

We also saw that when it came to the final two cuts.

Concerning the salary - you don't have to be there and contrary to what they would like us to think the DCC are not essential to the brand. Yeah, they could be paid more but I'm not dying on that hill despite also being a woman. It's a job but you don't have to be there if you don't like the salary.

VK said in the video that they get the hair treatments and spray tans sponsored, so they don't have to pay for that. 

But what I got from the interview with VK, they don't get health insurance. In my opinion they should definitely get health insurance, considering this job can cause major injuries. That should not be a question at all.

I like watching this, but I want my own daughter (She's 2 years old) to aspire to be more. Dancing is fine as a hobby but I want her to dream of being a doctor or a lawyer, not a DCC for sure.

Edited by RollTheHardSix
typo
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Okay, can someone help me out here, because the math is just not mathing for me.

According to this article from People:

https://people.com/how-much-do-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-make-8672926

the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders make $15-$20 an hour, $500 a game, $75,000 a year.  Do they get paid for practices and other official events?  Because $20 an hour does not work out to $500 a game and since there are only about twenty games a season, that does not work out to $75,000 a year.  Next season, there are twenty-one games scheduled, but that only puts them at $10,500, so is the rest made up of practices, appearances and calendar money?  I'm so confused!

I think they get $15–20 per hour for rehearsals. The $500 per game is excluded from that and works out to a higher hourly rate. I think they also get paid a higher flat rate for appearances. They definitely aren't making $75K a year, or none of them would need second jobs. It's more like $25K. The article author either made a typo or was misinformed.

• Useful 1
On 7/12/2024 at 10:26 PM, Sweet-tea said:

I didn’t understand why they cut her. Also didn’t like they didn’t show the follow-up with her after she left the office. If there is a height requirement, then they need to say so at the beginning. How tall is she anyway? She is beautiful and a great dancer. 

There is only one person responsible for her cut and that’s Charlotte.  Charlotte wanted her out and that was it. Kelli became very emotional when Ari’s cut was ordered.

Per google, Ari is 5ft2 so slightly smaller than average. As far as I can remember height has never been a problem, so long as the girl didn’t have short and thick legs. Kelli always hated short legs, particularly if the boots would almost come up to a girl’s knees.

• Like 2

Oh no! I was so hoping she’d make it this time…😥 Does anyone know the reason for her cut this time?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Oh no! I was so hoping she’d make it this time…😥 Does anyone know the reason for her cut this time?

Shelley posted a lengthy response on I think a facebook group? Anyway, her response was copied and pasted onto Reddit. The slides are in reverse order, start with the last photo and then click back to read it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Shelley posted a lengthy response on I think a facebook group? Anyway, her response was copied and pasted onto Reddit. The slides are in reverse order, start with the last photo and then click back to read it.

I find it funny how the DCC shows have their judges opinions broadcast but when someone from home has an opinion they take umbrage.  Even from the first time she came on this board. 😁

• Like 1

It looked like Sophy's GL was Claire. I am basing this on when she was retrieved from the field by Kelly in the last episode.

Poor Dayton. 

• Like 1
On 7/26/2024 at 11:15 PM, JarlenaFan2024 said:

Does anyone know who Sophy's (the girl who was "touched" by the photographer) group leader was? Thinking Kelcy W?

Sophy was in group 3. Her leaders were Claire and Dani.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tkv2ByLysI

US Weekly has the full interview with VK on youtube now, quite interesting about what happened, relationship with Kelli, future plans of VK in NY.

She seemed genuine in the interview. She clearly pointed out problems in the relationships with DCC and Kelli but without really putting anyone under the bus, which I liked. 

Short summary in relation to DCC content:

She feels personal relationship with KF made it harder in DCC, that KF went partly opposite direction of favoritism

She had problems connecting with team mates, especially after her year off, feels like the year off was frowned upon by some

future relationship with KF is to be determined, whenever they see each other again

KF texted her to wish her good luck in NY, she saw her at the wedding of KF's daughter

she does not see herself at DCC events in the near future, still loves the DCC but will not be the first one to sign up for DCC events until she has really processed everything

she did not send out invitations for birthday party, word of mouth only but it was short-notice because Netflix wanted to film it, it wasn't planned as a party

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/28/2024 at 9:03 PM, StellaCL said:

Sophy was in group 3. Her leaders were Claire and Dani.

You said "was".  Did she decide to retire already? Or "was" as in the season's over?

(edited)
11 hours ago, JarlenaFan2024 said:

You said "was".  Did she decide to retire already? Or "was" as in the season's over?

“Was” because it was the 2023 group.

Both Claire and Dani have retired now.

Sophy did return for the 2024 team and was assigned group 3 again, but her leaders will now be Jada and Tori. 

Edited by StellaCL
  • Like 1

There are 21 games on the schedule including preseason but they only cheer at the home games. So cut that number approximately in half. I presume the personal appearances pay more but I'm speculating.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:02 AM, snarts said:

^ it's on his linkedin profile. He's a bachelors in finance/marketing. Dallas is an extremely hot job market. It appears he never worked prior to graduating college nor did he have any internships, which is very odd for a finance/marketing major. Wondering if his GPA was bad or if he quotes bible verses for every interview answer.

Reece's degree is in dance. https://www.linkedin.com/in/reece-weaver-697a93191/ What exactly does one do with that? Teach?

She most likely studied ballet, tap, jazz, and modern dance for her major. Probably also did anatomy and physiology classes. Maybe classes for stage movement. 

So yes, she could teach dance, be a choreographer, perhaps a coach. There's also plenty of theater companies in Dallas, so after her DCC days are over, she might make a move into that world. She also has a background in pageants, so I could see her as some type of pageant coach, too. 

• Like 1

Don't know where to put this, so I guess I'll put it here? Zhenya and Kally just released their first episode of Boot Buddies and they are recapping Episode 1 of America's Sweethearts. This was sooo good. Both of them are so entertaining to watch and listen to. I am low key obsessed and I need more episodes ASAP lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hope this isn't a repeat.  I was looking for something completely unrelated and found this video of the cheerleaders in Oxnard (looks like it's this years' training camp).  I'm not 100% sure but it looks like a first year vet is actually point here.  I can see her on "America's Sweethearts" plain as day but can't remember her name.  Maybe she's a 2+ year vet.  I remember her talking about being "touched" by a fan when they were all discussing Sophy. And, of course the squad photos are down (404 error) since I'm guessing 2024 TC is ongoing?  This is also a great video to watch to learn "Thunderstruck".

Edited by JarlenaFan2024
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, JarlenaFan2024 said:

Hope this isn't a repeat.  I was looking for something completely unrelated and found this video of the cheerleaders in Oxnard (looks like it's this years' training camp).  I'm not 100% sure but it looks like a first year vet is actually point here.  I can see her on "America's Sweethearts" plain as day but can't remember her name.  Maybe she's a 2+ year vet.  I remember her talking about being "touched" by a fan when they were all discussing Sophy. And, of course the squad photos are down (404 error) since I'm guessing 2024 TC is ongoing?  This is also a great video to watch to learn "Thunderstruck".

Chandi is the first point, 6 year vet
Jada is the second point, 5 year vet

They will both be shared point for the upcoming season as well!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2024 at 2:56 PM, bilgistic said:

They struck me as the "we got married so we could have sex" kind of religious youth.

THIS. Thank you. My friends and I all came to the same conclusion.

Two other thoughts. One, I wish I'd been paid a nickel for every "yes ma'am" I heard. I know it's standard parlance in the south, but I'm used to hearing it from children to adults, not from a grown woman to a grown woman.

Two, I'm Jewish, and I probably would have stayed closeted about it if I were on the team. (I know Kelli (?) said she was married to a Jewish guy, but I don't feel as if religious diversity would have been welcomed on the team.)

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

THIS. Thank you. My friends and I all came to the same conclusion.

Two other thoughts. One, I wish I'd been paid a nickel for every "yes ma'am" I heard. I know it's standard parlance in the south, but I'm used to hearing it from children to adults, not from a grown woman to a grown woman.

Two, I'm Jewish, and I probably would have stayed closeted about it if I were on the team. (I know Kelli (?) said she was married to a Jewish guy, but I don't feel as if religious diversity would have been welcomed on the team.)

There is only 1 thing needed to be welcomed on to the team…you must fully indoctrinate into the DCC cult.ure!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 8/8/2024 at 7:12 PM, StellaCL said:

Chandi is the first point, 6 year vet
Jada is the second point, 5 year vet

They will both be shared point for the upcoming season as well!

Jada's a 5th year???  Guess I've been living under a rock?!

(edited)
17 hours ago, Jazzmom said:

There is only 1 thing needed to be welcomed on to the team…you must fully indoctrinate into the DCC cult.ure!

Speaking of indoctrination, has anyone else been watching Bama rush (University of Alabama sorority rush)  video this week? A few of them do a partial DCC Thunderstruck routine in their promo videos, and the values and extreme performance of Southern femininity (for lack of a better term) are pretty much one and the same. I highly recommend.😊

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1