Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Storm

• Start Topic

Colter investigates the disappearance of two amateur storm chasers, one of whom is the daughter of an old family friend (guest star Jennifer Morrison), that the local police have written off as an accidental drowning. Colter's expert tracking skills lead him to uncover the seedy underbelly of a small town resort, on the first season finale of the CBS Original series TRACKER, Sunday, May 19 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

• Like 1
(edited)

That sounds really promising! Season finale let's go!

Does anyone know if the second season is going to start in the fall?

Edited by TheCathedral
  • Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Justin Hartley as Colter Shaw and Jennifer Morrison as Lizzy Hawking in ‘Tracker’ episode 13, the season 1 finale. 

spacer.png

Justin Hartley as Colter Shaw and Jason Diaz as Deputy Kelman in season 1 episode 13.

spacer.png

Simon Arblaster as Xavier Sampson and Lachlan Quarmby as Bo Sampson in the season 1 finale.

spacer.png

Justin Hartley, Stunt Coordinator Lauro Chartrand-DelValle and Stunt Double Jordan Davis on the set of ‘Tracker’. 

Jennifer Morrison shouldn’t wear her hair so tightly back like that.  Wearing it down softens her face considerably.

• Like 5

I guess there won't be many 'This is Us' Easter eggs. Hartley and Morrison had good chemistry on that show, I'm looking forward to this episode.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TheCathedral said:

Does anyone know if the second season is going to start in the fall?

Yes (earlier, at 8pm ET), though we don't know exactly when yet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1

I enjoyed seeing Jennifer Morrison again, she & Justin Hartely had good chemistry on "This is Us"...so I enjoyed their scenes together tonight...but this show, overall, doesnt really capture my enthusiasm as much as "TIU".

• Like 2

If you are going to keep a corpse around, maybe you should get a lock for your freezer. Also, I fail to understand how having the body works as leverage. 

Also: you finally find out a major piece of info that your sister has been hiding from you, and you decide not to do anything about it. I guess that's how you know this was the last episode before hiatus.

• Like 12

The whole plot of the week made little sense. That's one of my main beefs with the show — the lack of thought seemingly put into these "mysteries" (the other being the need for Colter to interact more with characters who aren't one-offs).

So this week we had two (early 20s?) storm chasers stumble across a body and decide, instead of reporting it to authorities like a normal person, to play Nancy Drew and do what, exactly? Get the rich guy to confess? Did they even know the Sheriff was corrupt? It's utterly unclear. Didn't they think, hey, maybe her family would like to know what happened to her? And if they did think the Sheriff was corrupt, could they not have reached out to another law enforcement agency? Especially since it seems the FBI was already (conveniently) poking around. Sure, let's just threaten a really, really rich guy who has law enforcement in his pocket, personal thugs, that we know has already killed one person, then take no safety precautions (other than hiding a recording, that proves absolutely nothing, in a menstrual products box), and act really surprised when he tries to silence us. Good grief, nobody is this dumb.

That's to say nothing of the absurdity of the Sheriff having a three year old body (I think it was three?) in a freezer in an abandoned building as some kind of insurance. Wouldn't it just implicate the Sheriff, though? Unless we're supposed to believe in some kind of magical forensics that would be conducted? But I'm clearly overthinking this. The writers didn't give it this much thought.

I actually like the family mystery so far. Interesting that Dory seems to know more than she let on a couple weeks ago. Colter specifically asked about their dad and she didn't say one word about having gotten a box of his things.

I also really like Colter and Reenie as a possible long term romantic prospect. Call me easily manipulated if you like, but I think they have great chemistry and the woman playing Reenie has incredible screen presence. She picks up any scene she's in, she just has great energy. 

The couple who seemingly coordinate and find jobs for Colter are completely underutilized. And I find computer guy boring as heck, but an acceptable deus ex machina all around tech wizard. It makes more sense than Colter himself being a tech genius on the side.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

That seemed underwhelming for a season finale. Just a normal case. Nothing particularly interesting except the last five minutes. 

And I have missed the lady couple the last two weeks. I hope they explain how these people are in his life. Real missed opportunity this season.

• Like 12

It looks to me like they're setting up more of the "family mystery" for next season.  Which, if it leads to more Dory and Russell, yay (I guess?)  

It's more interesting than the cases so far.  And maybe nobody will get killed (or shot in the left arm).  

• Like 11

Underwhelming is the right word for it, not a terrible episode but really meh for a season finale. The plot was really confusing and not that interesting.

Robin Weigert continues to be underutilized, that really needs to change, she has line one scene per episode. I hope her role is bigger next season.

Colter's dad trained his kids for all types of scenarios but I guess that Colter never learned the importance of STEALTH, it's like the getting shot in the arm thing, a really good running gag.

More dead bodies but it was the season finale so I was expecting it.

The first season wasn't great but the show has potential, maybe it was the writers strike idk. We need more episodes with the Shaw siblings, less dead bodies, no more one dimensional villains, cases with low stakes and I'd like to see a few cases with no happy endings because it's gonna get boring/predictable if Colter solves every single case.

• Like 6

I think they think that they don't need plots or characters because scenery and hunk appeal will carry the show. I disagree, but the ratings seem to indicate that my opinion is not the one that pays the bills.

I can't stand the brother, so I hope he stays overseas and in hiding. But I could be okay with more of the sister.

I very much want more of the "we found you a case" ladies. Half the time he doesn't even take the case they find, so they are being sidelined not only for screen time but also for relevance. I really hope they reverse that.

Bobby also needs to do more than be "got it, boss!" and "yup". In the episode they gave him more to do, he was really interesting and had a dynamic quality-- he rescued Colter, for godsake! More of that. But then they had him totally absent from following episodes, so it's like they ration out his lines so if he has more than 2 in one ep, he has to be written out of the next ones completely. Fix that!

I suppose not having recurring characters keeps the budget down. I don't really mind of Colter only does cases with one off people, but I very much would enjoy a lower body count, lower stakes, and making theplots make sense. He can rescue lost hikers, find missing people who maybe wandered off with dementia or something instead of being kidnapped, and locate missing luggage for all I care. But the casual carnage is a bit much. If he didn't have PTSD from his childhood, he would surely have it from his dozens of murders a week, unless he's a total psychopath in woobie clothing.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TheCathedral said:

Robin Weigert continues to be underutilized, that really needs to change, she has line one scene per episode. I hope her role is bigger next season.

I never read the books but a couple being Charlie and just sending Coulter off on a mission after trolling the internet for reward opportunities doesn't scream much to do except to pad the cast.

• Like 3

Bonus points for 'Gimme Shelter'. But yeah, that was a bit underwhelming. 

This show is not reinventing the wheel or tv - and that's okay. I like to have a solid procedural based on a tried and true formula. But they need to address its main weakness and find a way to give Colter more interactions with regular characters.

Reennie better never get hit in the left shoulder, she needs that arm for wearing her handbag teapot style. I wonder where they are going with that story-line of her quitting her job. Will she open her own law firm and occasionally hire Colter to find a missing culprit/witness? That would make Velma and Teddi even more redundant. I really wish they had given us the backstory how Colter met them.

(Does anyone remember 'The Finder' with Geoff Stults. Somewhat similar premise but with more humor and side-kicks who joined the main character on his quests. I really liked it - of course it got cancelled after one season.)

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

That seemed underwhelming for a season finale. Just a normal case. Nothing particularly interesting except the last five minutes. 

And I have missed the lady couple the last two weeks. I hope they explain how these people are in his life. Real missed opportunity this season.

Agreed it was underwhelming for a Season finale, fine for a regular weekly episode. They should have done Dory as 1.12 and Russell as 1.13, made this one 1.11 and use it to setup Colter seeking Dory out which then leads to his reunion with Russell in the finale. 

I think the only draw for 1.13 was a This Is US Reunion but, I stopped watching by the time JM showed up as his Ex-Wife/Baby Mama.  

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

(Does anyone remember 'The Finder' with Geoff Stults. Somewhat similar premise but with more humor and side-kicks who joined the main character on his quests. I really liked it - of course it got cancelled after one season.)

I loved the Finder! It was a kinda goofy at times but so fun, Michael Clark Duncan was great! Tracker is a little too serious, it could definetly use some light comedy like The Finder. 

I forgot to mention the sting with the crooked sheriff, it was so theatrical like was that really necessary?

• Like 5

Well, that’s a disappointing season finale. We have only seen Velma and Teddi for 5 seconds, then poof! The ladies have zero F2F interaction with Colter for the entire season.

Reenie resigning from her cushy job and declining a getaway with Colter. I have no idea where this situation will lead to in season 2. They cannot be partners as lonewolf is Colter’s thing.

The COTW isn’t that interesting and doesn’t make a lot of sense. The sheriff and his deputy basically do nothing about the misper case. It’s up to Colter to find the dead bodies and Katie.

Another thing that puzzles me - Colter has only 15 minutes to bring Katie home or else the sheriff will shoot Lizzy. Then suddenly we have a whole well-coordinated fiasco with the Feds arresting Sheriff Woods and everything. 🤔

The Shaw family members love keeping secrets from each other. Why do they have to be shady AF? Why is Dory hiding the secret about their father’s journals from Colter? Does Russell know anything about this? I thought their father is a paranoid. It seemed out of character for him to be having an affair with Lizzy’s mom and putting himself at risk.

I wanna see Russell’s selfie at a beach bar in Argentina. Come on, Tracker🤣

• Like 8
3 hours ago, TheCathedral said:

I forgot to mention the sting with the crooked sheriff, it was so theatrical like was that really necessary?

I thought they were being extra careful to get Lizzy away from the Sheriff so that she would not be harmed.

It did seem improbable to get that many cars in the area unnoticed when someone is sitting there waiting for someone to drive up.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think they think that they don't need plots or characters because scenery and hunk appeal will carry the show. I disagree, but the ratings seem to indicate that my opinion is not the one that pays the bills.

Bobby also needs to do more than be "got it, boss!" and "yup". In the episode they gave him more to do, he was really interesting and had a dynamic quality-- he rescued Colter, for godsake! More of that. But then they had him totally absent from following episodes, so it's like they ration out his lines so if he has more than 2 in one ep, he has to be written out of the next ones completely. Fix that!

I suppose not having recurring characters keeps the budget down. I don't really mind of Colter only does cases with one off people, but I very much would enjoy a lower body count, lower stakes, and making theplots make sense. He can rescue lost hikers, find missing people who maybe wandered off with dementia or something instead of being kidnapped, and locate missing luggage for all I care. But the casual carnage is a bit much. If he didn't have PTSD from his childhood, he would surely have it from his dozens of murders a week, unless he's a total psychopath in woobie clothing.

I found Bobby, and his episode utterly boring. He could disappear and I wouldn't care. Part of it, of course, is the sub-par writing. I couldn't agree more about that. I'm really hoping they improve that in season 2. I think the cases of the week need to both be more interesting in and of themselves, and teach us something about Colter.

The higher stakes cases don't bother me per se, but I'd like them to make sense and not be so predictable. I also think good writers could make a case about a lost hiker fascinating (I actually wanted to see more of the one in the pilot) and emotionally resonant. Ditto someone lost who has dementia. Or heck, a lost dog. 

• Like 3

Zzzzzzzzzz. Seems like if they've got "Gimme Shelter" money, they could spend it better. 

Get new writers, for starters. Ones that will know what to do with the assignment team.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

It was great seeing Jennifer Morrison again.  Everyone seems to know her from "This is Us" which I didn't watch.  I started watching but I lost interest.  It wasn't my cup of tea.

Jennifer Morrison came out on the tv show House M.D. as Dr. Allison Cameron.  I guess I'm showing my age a bit!

• Like 9
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

she needs that arm for wearing her handbag teapot style

It looks so uncomfortable. Get that woman a shoulder bag!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Agree with the sentiment that the FBI swat team in 15 min felt flat. But honestly? I am entertained by this show regardless of its faults. The scenery is the main character, and JH is nice to oogle though could he smile once a show maybe? Reenie is a highlight, use her more, and yes, more of the ladies please. And more focus on the family secrets next season. Please and thank you.

• Like 2

I feel like they gave Colter too much unresolved family drama considering that the show has only just started. Maybe finish one thing before adding two more things?

If they insist on having family DRAMA, I'm begging them to at least have the cases be a bit more light. We don't need Colter finding or making corpses every other week.

Well, I was liking Dory, so of course she's being shady too.  :(

Still not really sold on Reenie, but at least now they gave her a better reason to be traveling to wherever Colter is.

They've got to do better with the supporting characters. Bobby got one episode, but the two handlers (? Do they even have a title?) are still pretty unknown.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I feel like they gave Colter too much unresolved family drama considering that the show has only just started. Maybe finish one thing before adding two more things?

If they insist on having family DRAMA, I'm begging them to at least have the cases be a bit more light. We don't need Colter finding or making corpses every other week.

Still not really sold on Reenie, but at least now they gave her a better reason to be traveling to wherever Colter is.

They've got to do better with the supporting characters. Bobby got one episode, but the two handlers (? Do they even have a title?) are still pretty unknown.

Totally agree. They're just adding family drama strands but nobody is following any of those strands, they're like a story line hairball at this point. Father's dead and was shady. Mom is shady. Bro is shady, but maaaaybe trustworthy? Sis is now shady. We get it, Colter's family is - say it with me - shady. Give us something more to chew on Show. Advance one thread at least...I guess they advanced Bro, but apparently he's hiding out in Argentina now so...

I like Reenie but don't get her at all. Is she protecting herself from being hurt by Colter because she knows he's a loner and it would never work out? And did they even prepare us for her quitting her apparently high brow lawyer job? It seemed like she worked for a firm, yet what firm would allow a lawyer to jet around helping out a bounty hunter whenever she felt like it? I don't remember a story line about Reenie quitting her job yet here we are.

Bobby is okay, but let it take a little more time than IMMEDIATELY. Like every query and request Colter has is answered by Bobby in like 3 seconds. Make it make sense writers!

And the two ladies who find Colter his jobs, they could be so much more but they're relegated to background wallpaper.

• Like 3
On 5/20/2024 at 1:21 AM, agathapenny said:

I also really like Colter and Reenie as a possible long term romantic prospect. Call me easily manipulated if you like, but I think they have great chemistry and the woman playing Reenie has incredible screen presence. She picks up any scene she's in, she just has great energy. 

I actually have the opposite opinion: that there's no chemistry between them and the actress is wooden and sucks the air out of every scene she's in.

But I do agree with your analysis of the episode's ridiculous plot.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

And the two ladies who find Colter his jobs, they could be so much more but they're relegated to background wallpaper.

I know that pilots are different but the handlers had so many scenes in the pilot episode and for the rest of the season they were in like one scene per episode. They could've shot all their scenes for the season in 2 days.

The writers need to keep it simple, it seems like they add dead bodies just to increase drama. I hope we get a few episodes with Colter looking for missing cars/animals/jewelry. The episode with the horse was kinda fun.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm not necessarily sure she's being shady. She complained how Coulter never returned her calls. How could she have told him back when she got the box of their dad's papers? She could have mentioned it when they had dinner, but she may have just not thought it was a big enough deal to mention. Or didn't want to stir up conspiracy theories Coulter had about their family.

It could turn into something shady, but not necessarily. I think Coulter is jumping to conclusions. Apparently the actress that plays Dory is the lead on a new NBC show, so I don't know how much more we will see her.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Totally agree. They're just adding family drama strands but nobody is following any of those strands, they're like a story line hairball at this point. Father's dead and was shady. Mom is shady. Bro is shady, but maaaaybe trustworthy? Sis is now shady. We get it, Colter's family is - say it with me - shady. Give us something more to chew on Show. Advance one thread at least...I guess they advanced Bro, but apparently he's hiding out in Argentina now so...

I like Reenie but don't get her at all. Is she protecting herself from being hurt by Colter because she knows he's a loner and it would never work out? And did they even prepare us for her quitting her apparently high brow lawyer job? It seemed like she worked for a firm, yet what firm would allow a lawyer to jet around helping out a bounty hunter whenever she felt like it? I don't remember a story line about Reenie quitting her job yet here we are.

The thing that gets me about the family drama is not how many threads there are, but that everyone seems completely, inexplicably, incurious about it all. Colter learns something new and then, just, does nothing for weeks on end? You would think that someone like Colter, who tracks stuff down for a living, would be a bit more active about this.

I don't totally understand Reenie either, but I like her and would like to know more about her. Maybe next season we'll find out more about the supporting characters.

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I actually have the opposite opinion: that there's no chemistry between them and the actress is wooden and sucks the air out of every scene she's in.

But I do agree with your analysis of the episode's ridiculous plot.

To each their own, I guess. It think she's a standout and just hope the show gives her enough to do that she doesn't get poached for a larger role on another show.

7 hours ago, TheCathedral said:

I know that pilots are different but the handlers had so many scenes in the pilot episode and for the rest of the season they were in like one scene per episode. They could've shot all their scenes for the season in 2 days.

I had forgotten how much more story the handlers got in the pilot. They've been well nigh invisible since (sadly). They even got the touching plot about the rescue dog in the pilot to establish their characters and relationship. More of this, please.

• Like 5

What was the deal with Reenie’s lipstick in that final telephone conversation scene? It was another full lip width outside her lip line on the bottom. It completely distracted me, it was like a TikTok video of someone’s toddler getting into their makeup. The actress doesn’t appear to have abnormally thin lips, so why the attempt to make her appear to have a trout mouth?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 5/21/2024 at 1:51 PM, surfgirl said:

I don't find the two ladies interesting at all.  They are there to find Colter his next leads or assignments.  The worst thing this show can do is get into two characters that are just not worth a story.  Maybe in a flashback we will find out the how's, when's and why's.  This story needs more of Colton's siblings.   And of course, Reenie! 

• Like 2

Agreed with some others that this ep just wasn't that engaging. I think the previous two eps were much better and either could have worked as a season finale. I do get tired of his lone wolf thing, too. I just don't find Colter to be an interesting enough character to carry the show himself.

Jennifer Morrison made me think of House, which worked well as an ensemble show. Yes, Hugh Laurie was the lead, but much of it was his interacting with other recurring characters (less so with the patients, at least early on). Reenie doesn't do much for me either. I'll probably watch the start of the next season, but am not feeling as compelled to stick with it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, rr2911 said:

I don't find the two ladies interesting at all.  They are there to find Colter his next leads or assignments.  The worst thing this show can do is get into two characters that are just not worth a story.  Maybe in a flashback we will find out the how's, when's and why's.  This story needs more of Colton's siblings.   And of course, Reenie! 

I would love a flashback about the two handlers.  Because I feel like they and Bobby  are Colton’s chosen family.  The only family that has his best interests at heart. I would like to see the backstory on that.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I would love a flashback about the two handlers.  Because I feel like they and Bobby  are Colton’s chosen family.  The only family that has his best interests at heart. I would like to see the backstory on that.

I remember the TV show Person of Interest, the show had the 2 main characters locating and helping people through an AI machine.   We got to see how they met but it was through a flashback and kept the main plot moving forward.  I don't think we need a full episode of the two ladies and Bobby.  Especially when we might get a heavy dose of Colton's family.

• Like 1

I watched every episode of POI. They met in episode 1.  The pilot was the beginning of their partnership.   It wasn’t a flashback.  

I’m not saying we need an episode totally about the two handlers. However we need more of the backstory of how they met him and became his handlers.  Plus a few scenes of the dogs.  

• Like 4

In a lone ranger show we already have a guy in the chair and a when will they finally admit their mutual attraction and get together helper to deal with local authorities.

A Charlie, of Angels, couple finding missions doesn't add anything to the show premise but detracts from it. And comes off as regulars needed on the cast to qualify for awards consideration 

I wish they would break up the formula a bit next season. Have him work one case for two or three episodes - it would solve some of the problems. But I guess this show is sold on the COW format and will only ditch that formula for the BIG family mystery - at least as long as they can stretch out that plot.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I wish they would break up the formula a bit next season. Have him work one case for two or three episodes - it would solve some of the problems. But I guess this show is sold on the COW format and will only ditch that formula for the BIG family mystery - at least as long as they can stretch out that plot.

Welcome to CBS-TV.  I know they do deviate from time to time on their shows but they're really into their procedurals.

• Like 2

I don't mind case of the week, but I would really prefer they develop the characters more, and switch up the case beats. By the end of the season I was getting bored because it was just too thin, even with the scenery porn.

• Like 2

I like the ladies that get him jobs and the tech guy, but I really don't care about anybody's back story and hope they wrap up the family drama quick.  Maybe it is wrapped up since the brother left.  I also don't want cases that last several episodes.  I'm definitely a COTW kind of gal.

Just entertain me for an hour, let the good guys win and the bad guys get what's coming to them.

On 6/6/2024 at 1:04 PM, fastiller said:

Welcome to CBS-TV.  I know they do deviate from time to time on their shows but they're really into their procedurals.

I don't mind the procedural/COTW aspect, but the show needs to figure out what it wants to be and differentiate itself. Because half the time it's reminding me of other CBS procedurals, when I think it has the potential to be its own thing.

• Like 3
(edited)

I hate the family drama. But I just think the show is very bland. The cases seem to be hitting the same notes over and over again, even when the story changes. It's weird. I don't feel like this with every case of the week show.

And I find Colter increasingly unlikable. He's not evil or anything, but he's somehow incredibly boring and also full of himself while simultaneously angsty. It's an unbearable combination. And I absolutely HATE the Reenie-Colter dynamic. Both of them are preening all the time. It's gross. Grow up. Stop playing stupid games.

I wouldn't mind if they played games... just not stupid ones. And I can enjoy banter... just not the kind they do.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1