Type keyword(s) to search

S46 Ep. 10 "Run the Red Light"

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

I agree about Applebees but being in the jungle with so little food, McDonald’s would be like  Michelin star cuisine for me .

Sure, but both Liz and Tiff talked about going to Applebee's every week. Liz for a burger, Tiff for artichoke dip and cocktails. I think both of them were exaggerating, possibly urged to do so by whoever is in charge of marketing.  It just seemed like one big overblown commercial, trying to convince us that contestants on Survivor miss Applebee's food more than anything else in the outside world.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
(edited)

This episode showed us a picture of Liz and her daughter posing at Applebee's.  So is it safe to assume that when she was cast, production already knew that she was a major fan of the place (like perhaps she mentioned it in her interviews)?  Applebee's has catered rewards in the past, so they're connected with Survivor.  Is it possible that they cast a woman who has a very limited diet and then as a reward, provided the one thing she claimed to love to eat most in the whole world to see what shenanigans would ensue?

Or maybe it's possible that I am trying to read way too much into something that was pure coincidence, because nothing else about this season makes much sense to me.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
25 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Sure, but both Liz and Tiff talked about going to Applebee's every week. Liz for a burger, Tiff for artichoke dip and cocktails. I think both of them were exaggerating, possibly urged to do so by whoever is in charge of marketing.  It just seemed like one big overblown commercial, trying to convince us that contestants on Survivor miss Applebee's food more than anything else in the outside world.

As mentioned, Applebee's is okay for me.  Not on my Top Ten for options for eating & drinking.  That's regardless of quality and business level.  People like Liz & Tiffany can eat wherever they want and whenever they want, but IMO, I would think they can do better.  Or there are better options on a weekly basis.

Applebee's is great when it comes to advertising.  There's the part of making money & what I'd disagree with.  That would be someone saying "no thanks".  Unless you have options, I wouldn't pass on Applebee's, so Survivor and other big business are smart to do business with them.  Just not a fan of making an episode out of it.  I guess 90 minute-episodes counted here

• Like 1
On 5/1/2024 at 9:32 PM, tinkerbell said:

I've been to 2 Applebee's locations. Both had a weird mold/mildew smell when you walk in the door. No thanks.  

Pay the musty odor no mind; that’s just the smell of the artichoke dip.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:32 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

So everyone owes Liz because she has allergies and goes to Applebees with her kid?  Absolutely not.  

LIZ WANTS TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER OF THE SANCTUARY APPLEBEES RIGHT NOW!!! 🙎🏼‍♀️🙎🏼‍♀️🙎🏼‍♀️

On 5/1/2024 at 11:54 PM, Skooma said:

Hunter told them he had an idol.  I don't know if he told everybody but everybody knew he had one before they went to tribal.

Yes, the last ten minutes or so before TC Hunter told people he had an idol - but:

1. We didn’t see him show it to anybody, though.
  2. At least half the people Hunter told seemed to think he was simply bluffing.
  3. The idol was not displayed - nor its existence otherwise verified - before, during or after TC; it never came out of his pocket.

…so I’d bet at least half the remaining players think Hunter was bluffing, and there was no idol - so no need to go searching for THAT.

Tiff’s idol,  the other hand…?  The Fiji Air flight attendants and their cats knew Tiff had that piece of shit, so everybody will be beating the bushes looking for its replacement - which raises an interesting possibility: if two players each independently find an idol, and each is unaware of the other’s discovery - is either/both likely to advance their play on the (mistaken) premise theirs is the only active idol in play?

Interesting notion, that….  😈

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

I agree about Applebees but being in the jungle with so little food, McDonald’s would be like  Michelin star cuisine for me .

Same. I’m not an Applebee’s fan at all but stick me in the middle of nowhere in Fiji with nothing but coconuts and rice for 3-4 weeks and I’d be crying over Applebee’s too.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, BigRedCheese said:

I really feel like the producers probably expected that Liz would get enough food to eat through the game, they expected enough people to step out for rice, I even think Jeff's popcorn was really meant for Liz, they probably thought the rest would just hand it over to her, and if it had been anyone other than Q, I'm sure she would have been chosen (he really is a different breed of cat), which, again, I think the producers fully expected to happen. It's kind of comical that all the ways of getting her food within the bounds of the game have been thwarted.

I would hope that they would have told her in advance that no accomodations would be made for her.  In most seasons, at this point in the game, the reward winner occasionally picks someone because they hadn't gone on any rewards and hadn't eaten.  Unfortunately for Liz, the person she hated most won the reward.  And she voted for him the night before and was one of the more vocal people who wanted to get him out.

I also think that a lot of the failing is on Liz.  Is there absolutely nothing she can eat?  I'm starting to think she can't eat fish either.  Did she discuss a plan with producers as to how she would be able to eat?  Did she do any research in advance?  Maybe she can eat certain leaves or berries or other things that grow in the forest.  Mushrooms?  She could have learned how to forage and determine what was safe and what wasn't safe.

Boohoo Liz.  The people on "Naked and Afraid" don't get any food either and somehow they survive.  I've seen episodes when they can't catch any food (which she wouldn't do on Survivor since it's been prohibited for years except for fish).  And they're butt naked at that.

As I mentioned, I do resent Jeffy for bending the rules to try and get her food.  Since when has Jeffy EVER brought popcorn to Tribal Council?  Since when has Jeffy ever given any free food to the contestants?  Since when has the single bottle of rice been an option in these rice negotiations?

I think it's ridiculous that production seems to have broken their own rules in order to get food to Liz.  I would definitely complain if I were one of the other contestants about the special treatment.

And even after all that with the single bottle of rice and the "I need someone to make fire for me", I don't think we actually saw her eating the damn rice and moaning about it while imagining it was the EXACT BURGER.  If we did, I must have tuned her out by then.

3 hours ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

The casting people suck .

I actually think they've done an amazing job of finding particularly crazy and unlikeable people this season.  Jelinsky, Bhanu, Liz, Q.  This is the oddest bunch of characters in some time.

2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This episode showed us a picture of Liz and her daughter posing at Applebee's.  So is it safe to assume that when she was cast, production already knew that she was a major fan of the place (like perhaps she mentioned it in her interviews)?  Applebee's has catered rewards in the past, so they're connected with Survivor.  Is it possible that they cast a woman who has a very limited diet and then as a reward, provided the one thing she claimed to love to eat most in the whole world to see what shenanigans would ensue?

Or maybe it's possible that I am trying to read way too much into something that was pure coincidence, because nothing else about this season makes much sense to me.

I would not be at all surprised if Liz's Applebee's tradition with her daughter is one of the things that casting noted about her.  It would have been funny if she had been voted out before this reward.  As you say, Applebee's has been a reward in recent seasons.  Is it really that popular?  I haven't been to one in years.  This season we have two people who gushed about going there every week.  I think in a recent season there was another woman who said that Applebee's was her favourite restaurant in the world.

I do think they were all asked to comment about the food, especially Kenzie's commercial for the EXACT BURGER where she lovingly described the mushrooms and sauce and the moist and the juicy.

I'm wondering what the Applebee's execs thought when watching this episode.  They got their commercial, but they also got their name tied to an angry woman who seemed a bit unhinged.

It's funny because I remember the early days when the contestants went apeshit over a bag of Doritos and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

both Liz and Tiff talked about going to Applebee's every week. Liz for a burger, Tiff for artichoke dip and cocktails.

For Tiff, I imagine it's mostly for the cocktails, probably with a group of friends, they probably take turns getting appetizers, and that's her go to. I'm sure it's a young crowd, making their weekly hang session at Applebee's is probably kind of an ironic thing, like how young hipsters liked drinking PBR because it was funny (I know, also cheap). 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, BigRedCheese said:

Texas Roadhouse is quite good, but they crank the music up to 11, I'm too old for that.

The first thing the new (young) manager did at my favorite restaurant was to crank the music volume up to decibel level, "Eye Socket and Tooth Vibration Mode".

When the volume reached a level that made my entrée look alive while shimmying across my plate I gave up and picked a new favorite restaurant.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 12:42 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Just read article where Tiff stated that both Maria and Kenzie both wanted to give Liz their spot on the reward. Q wouldn't  allow it. What? When was that a thing? If Liz's outburst happened after that then it is more understandable. Why didn't we see that? So help me if it's because Q wins!!!!!!

I just saw a few of Tiffany's exit interviews and she mentions it. She says "Q said no. I chose who I chose. I don't want Liz to go." 😂

They should have shown that.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

I just saw a few if Tiffany's exit interviews and she mentions it. She says "Q said no. I chose who I chose. I don't want Liz to go." 😂

I think Q is a lock for season 50, that's probably why they didn't show it.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I just saw a few if Tiffany's exit interviews and she mentions it. She says "Q said no. I chose who I chose. I don't want Liz to go." 😂

"I chose who I chose.  I don't want Liz to go."  That is so Q.  I can picture him saying it in his Q voice while looking at the camera.  Then the slight head shake while he says "Liz made a mistake.  She voted for me.  She showed her cards.  Now I'm returning the favour."

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Charlie is literally the only person left that I care about. Also Applebees sucks! 

I also wondered if that song that was popular on TikTok would at some point "Were fancy like Applebee's on a date night..." Whatever it was 

• Like 2

Personally, I’m not a big fan of any of Survivor’s  episode-long restaurant chain product placement ads - but relatively speaking, I’d take Outback over Applebees any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Personally, I’m not a big fan of any of Survivor’s  episode-long restaurant chain product placement ads - but relatively speaking, I’d take Outback over Applebees any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

100%.  No burgers or dip for me.  The safe bet for me is to go to Applebees for a drink while placing a takeout order from Outback

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh my God this season is just unbearable.  The casting is brutal - I hate everyone.  Jeff is obnoxious.  The challenges are boring.  The episodes are way too long.  Hey Liz - don't expect us to feel sorry for you - you're the dumbass that can't eat ANYTHING besides beef apparently and decided to go on Survivor.

I just finished binging all the Australian Survivor seasons and OH. MY. GOD. the difference is night and day - the people seem like real people not AI human impersonators (and as an added bonus - there are always lots of hot dudes like US Survivor used to have), JLP (the host) is charming and doesn't take everything so seriously, there's actual humor, the challenges get switched up.  

CBS either needs to completely fire everyone involved with the new era and start over or just cancel this turd and put us out of our misery.

Edited by mbgriffith1
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Oops, I meant Tevin. He also left with a pocket idol, right? If not, never mind. All these idols, can't keep 'em straight.

No, Hunter did.

Last week I had determined that I didn't really like anyone after Hunter's exit, but the least objectionable were Maria, Kenzie, and Charlie.  I like Kenzie's positive attitude and mostly good nature.  She seems like a person that would be fun to hang out with IRL. 

I have more respect now for Charlie having won two endurance immunity challenges in a row.  He beat uber jock Hunter and strong girl Tiffany.  A win for skinny smart people everywhere!  If Charlie is going to win, he needs to get out from Maria's thumb.  Because at this point, I would assume it's perceived that Maria is driving their boat.

Are the 90 minute episodes here to stay?  They were done because of the strike but are they permanently 90, even next season?  Because 90 minutes of Survivor plus 90 minutes of Amazing Race back to back is just brutal.  Thanks to the 90 minutes, we got so much extra time to hear Liz kvetch about the EXACT BURGER.  Ugh.  I wouldn't mind the extra 30 minutes so much if the extra time was used to show us camp life.  And I would like to see interesting camp life, not a stupid song-off.  Like day to day things.  I'm not really caring to see 30 extra minutes of strategy, it's not that interesting.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

100%.  No burgers or dip for me.  The safe bet for me is to go to Applebees for a drink while placing a takeout order from Outback

Outback was our weekly takeout order. I would get the cheese fries, hubby would get a steak and loved their French onion soup. Very sad day when the restaurant near us closed.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Although not an experience that represents most of the comments on this thread, I have enjoyed many meals at Applebee's.  Is it the best restaurant to which I've been?  No, but it serves a purpose and has some variety on the menu.  But, I will say that their Mudslide (alcoholic drink) is one of the best I have had.

I talked to a friend yesterday evening(Thursday) and she said she had gone to Applebee's for lunch.  I asked if she got the bourbon burger and she laughed and told me that the friend she was meeting was almost an hour late so she went to the bar by herself and spent the time chatting with strangers about the previous night's episode - they were all Survivor watchers lured out to Applebee's.  So it appeals to some fans! 😂

8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

something weird is afoot.

Her name is Liz 🤣

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, Rodney said:
18 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Oops, I meant Tevin. He also left with a pocket idol, right? If not, never mind. All these idols, can't keep 'em straight.

No, Hunter did.

I think 30 Helens was wondering if Tevin left with an idol in addition to Hunter & Tiffany.  Or not; it isn't easy to keep everyone in track.  Tevin was booted big time in the aftermath of HII talk.  Q wanted Tiff gone & so did Maria, but there was a fear about the plan getting skunked with her idol.  If only they knew that she was planning to use it on one of her opponents at final tribal council if she'd made it that far.

That last sentence was a joke, BTW

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I wouldn't mind the extra 30 minutes so much if the extra time was used to show us camp life.  And I would like to see interesting camp life, not a stupid song-off.  Like day to day things. 

I agree, but I think it’s because they don’t do anything. No hunting or fishing, no building a better shelter, etc. No exploring for more resources. Just sitting and talking.

i think they could just not eat and do the show on a Zoom call from their apartments. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

mbgriffith1  speaking of hot dudes on Australian Survivor here is the hottest of all time:

David Genat (@davidgenat) • Instagram photos and videos

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

I agree, but I think it’s because they don’t do anything. No hunting or fishing, no building a better shelter, etc. No exploring for more resources. Just sitting and talking.

i think they could just not eat and do the show on a Zoom call from their apartments. 

Pretty accurate points, Tango.  I basically agree here.  If we're wrong, that's on production for not showing us more.  Plus, that's on them being lazy since they've increased the show by 50% which now seems permanent.  It's pretty sad as they have over 2 decades of material to adapt to avoid being voted out.  Sure the show changes, but the basics and what not are available for people to study & prepare for prior to their shot at the title.

The zoom thing actually makes sense in all fairness.  I think they'd still have to meet in one setting for a TC. 

From that comes a visual that'll be stuck with me this evening.  Since Survivor loves Survivor, they'd have TC in an empty Applebee's restaurant (store settings are still there for visual effect).  Amid pre-voting chat comes (at least) two survivors like Maria & Charlie having to hold Liz back from Jeff Probst as he eats an Applebee's dinner in his spot during TC

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Are the 90 minute episodes here to stay?  They were done because of the strike but are they permanently 90, even next season? 

47 and 48 are confirmed to be 90 minutes.

• Angry 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/2/2024 at 7:16 PM, blackwing said:

If my boss went on this show and made a complete fool of himself like Liz did, I'd laugh so hard.  I think I would never be able to look at him the same way again.  I wonder if she had these thoughts when she decided to go on the show.  Perhaps she doesn't care what her employees think of her.

Q is a flat-out bully.  "I don't care if my employees cry when I fire them."  The way he said it, and then repeated it, makes me think that he gloats when they cry.  Moreover, he's a real estate agent and a softball coach, so the majority of people he "fires" are little kids.  Ha ha, so funny to watch them cry!

On 5/2/2024 at 2:01 PM, blackwing said:

The winner of the reward always gets to make the choices, and that is part of gameplay and strategy. 

That hasn't always been true. Often, the winner makes the first pick, then that person picks the next and so on.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, JH Lipton said:

That hasn't always been true. Often, the winner makes the first pick, then that person picks the next and so on.

Has that happened in the “new era”?   I can’t recall when the last time that scenario might have happened.  

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, JH Lipton said:

Q is a flat-out bully.  "I don't care if my employees cry when I fire them."  The way he said it, and then repeated it, makes me think that he gloats when they cry.  Moreover, he's a real estate agent and a softball coach, so the majority of people he "fires" are little kids.  Ha ha, so funny to watch them cry!

Q is loud and bossy and frequently annoying, but that's not the same as being a bully. I haven't seen him try to intimidate anyone or threaten them. He was more patient with Bhanu than anyone else. He's screwed up most of his relationships in recent weeks, but at least half the people there have plenty of personality flaws of their own.

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
On 5/2/2024 at 7:57 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Ben's irrational hate for Q reminds me of Katurah's irrational hate for Bruce. It's weird. I get not liking someone, but their confessionals have taken up episodes to the point where it's clear that it's a personal thing.

Except that it wasn’t “irrational”.  Once they got to the merge, the rest of the players hated him too, especially the women.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Has that happened in the “new era”?   I can’t recall when the last time that scenario might have happened.  

Sorry, I have a hard time dividing Survivor by eras.

1 hour ago, WatcherUp2 said:

Q is loud and bossy and frequently annoying, but that's not the same as being a bully. I haven't seen him try to intimidate anyone or threaten them. He was more patient with Bhanu than anyone else. He's screwed up most of his relationships in recent weeks, but at least half the people there have plenty of personality flaws of their own.

Except when he told the women how they were going to vote or throwing a hissy fit when Tiff mentioned one of the precious six.  And taking delight in someone else’s pain (not Liz, but his “employees”) is a sure sure sign of a bully.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Moreover, he's a real estate agent and a softball coach, so the majority of people he "fires" are little kids.  Ha ha, so funny to watch them cry!

This isn't even true. 

2 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Except when he told the women how they were going to vote or throwing a hissy fit when Tiff mentioned one of the precious six.  And taking delight in someone else’s pain (not Liz,

This also is not.true, he never said this nor intimated this. He said he is okay with firing people because he has experience in dpojg so, and as such crying isn't something that derails him. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2024 at 12:42 AM, Lantern7 said:

Between Liz, Q,  Bhanu, Jelinsky, the three people who went out with idols, and whatever other irritants that I’m not considering, I would think people would get fired. They’ll probably get promotions because Probst gets hard by the insanity these wild cards bring.

Maybe this is why The Challenge isn't fun anymore -- all the crazies are on Survivor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, surfgirl said:

This isn't even true. 

This also is not.true, he never said this nor intimated this. He said he is okay with firing people because he has experience in dpojg so, and as such crying isn't something that derails him. 

Instead of "little kids", he coaches high school.  Other than that, I stand by what I said.

Edited by JH Lipton
(edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 4:47 PM, Rodney said:

Why be glad?  That shouldn't have been his choice.  If they wanted to give up their spot, then it should've been their choice, not his.

Should it? Part of who is chosen to go on a reward is to keep groups together, keep people from strategizing against you. He won the challenge, it was his choice who comes along.

Thanks to the person who posted that they get NO rice in the “new era” - I did not know. I’m kind of surprised that with that change we haven’t seen a shift toward more players who actually have some kind of survival skills. I don’t want the show to turn into Alone, but I can’t imagine signing up without some foraging knowledge or the ability to fish. Or being able to make a fire…

I was looking some other social medias this morning and was happy to see that Venus seems to have some fans out there. 

Edited by Heathrowe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Except when he told the women how they were going to vote or throwing a hissy fit when Tiff mentioned one of the precious six.  And taking delight in someone else’s pain (not Liz, but his “employees”) is a sure sure sign of a bully.

I don't think so.  And I don't tihnk he takes delight either.  He didn't say that.

5 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Instead of "little kids", he coaches high school.  Other than that, I stand by what I said.

He can't fire high school students, lol.  That wasn't what the firing was about.

36 minutes ago, Heathrowe said:

Thanks to the person who posted that they get NO rice in the “new era” - I did not know. I’m kind of surprised that with that change we haven’t seen a shift toward more players who actually have some kind of survival skills.

Except they have filmed in that one single spot in Fiji for years.  It is probably all hunted and fished out. 

Hell they have to provide the pre-cut bamboo poles for their shelters since there are no wild ones left growing in that area.  I'm sure they have to hire crews to go in and re-plant bushes etc in between seasons as the whole camping sites are taking on a wobegone look at this point.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
23 hours ago, susannot said:

mbgriffith1  speaking of hot dudes on Australian Survivor here is the hottest of all time:

David Genat (@davidgenat) • Instagram photos and videos

He's way up there, but there are so many others too (Simon is my personal favorite...)

• Like 1

Imagine what we missed with Bhanu and Liz not in the same tribe :(

On 5/2/2024 at 7:36 AM, Steph Sometimes said:

Tell Tiffany beforehand to play her idol. Then Tiff is safe, that horrible Applebee's Monster Q goes home, and Maria/Charlie's big move doesn't work and they may end up in the minority. Liz endears herself (as much as she can) to Tiff and Kenzie. The three of them (plus Venus) pick off the others. 

Exactly what I was thinking the whole time.

• Like 1

I’ve had this thought in the past, but felt it more strongly this episode when Kenzie was talking about “building a resume”.  I’m so sick of current contestants thinking they have to do this, and that there are certain things that are “bullet points” for this (ex. vote out your closest ally).

I remember the early years when it was hard for contestants to throw off the rules of regular society, and those who did were practically branded as evil.  Then, people eventually got into the “anything goes” spirit.  Now, we have come almost full circle into a time where the contestants honestly feel that there are “rules” to this game.  Then there are those who do weird things to try and “break” the rules of the game to “make a name” for themselves.  Ugh!

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Scatterbrained said:

I remember the early years when it was hard for contestants to throw off the rules of regular society, and those who did were practically branded as evil.  Then, people eventually got into the “anything goes” spirit.  

Yes, even alliances were seen as somewhat shady in the first few seasons. The social constraints that the players feel have gradually loosened over the years, and the shorter seasons may be speeding that up. The possibility of living with someone for 39 days or at the very least 3 more days makes people try to be a little more civilized than if they know that it's only 26 days and could be as little as one day.

Honestly, I'm still a little amazed that Liz wasn't voted out after that tantrum. That was far worse than Brandon Hantz's freak-out and he got removed at an impromptu tribal council held at the next immunity challenge. Now, people just look at that insanity and see a goat who must be protected until the end.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

Imagine what we missed with Bhanu and Liz not in the same tribe :(

Ha! Imagine if Bhanu had made it to the jury?! He'd have been quietly off'd by those having to live at Loser Lodge. That? Would have been torture - listening to him prattle on about 'I'm not here to win a million dollars, I am here to win a million hearts, blah blah blah fishcakes.' People who go on this show and say they don't car about winning 🙄.  Waste of space IMO.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Way back in the very first season, Gretchen (the ex-military person who was actually some kind of survival instructor and thought the show was actually going to be about surviving in the jungle) voted out Joel (the young buck who was either some kind of personal trainer or someone who went around selling sports equipment, I can't remember) because she said he seemed to have a lot of money and didn't really need the money.

In Thailand, Brian Heidik won the reward of a video from home, and he was pissed because it showed his nice house (that he probably paid for from his "acting" career).  I remember Clay kvetching about the grand piano.

Now we have Liz who openly tells everyone she is a millionaire.  I don't recall hearing any of the others commenting on that, have they?  Such a huge change from Joel, a young 20 something kid from Season 1 who obviously wasn't earning millions in his career, to Liz, 30 something single mom who openly says how successful she is.  I wonder if any of the jury is thinking about this.  I don't think it should matter how much money someone has.  It's about who played the best game.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:39 PM, JH Lipton said:

Are you suggesting that when he said he fires his employees, he was gloating about his high school baseball players?  I don't think so.  He wouldn't call them employees and he wouldn't call it firing.  He would have said "I cut a kid and he cried and I didn't care, he wasn't good enough to make the team".

As a real estate agent he probably has his own office, and he would have employees, like an office assistant, a field assistant, someone to assist in the closings, etc.  I think that's what he was referring to when he said he fired people.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Honestly, I'm still a little amazed that Liz wasn't voted out after that tantrum. 

It would have been beautiful if they had agreed to vote her out, and tell her it was out of kindness so she could get a cheeseburger. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6

Does anyone know if Maria was on the show Naked & Afraid Season 7? I was watching reruns this morning and I could swear it was the same Maria that we see on Survivor.

39 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

It would have been beautiful if they had agreed to vote her out, and tell her it was out of kindness so she could get a cheeseburger. 

Hey now.  It wouldn't have been good enough just to tell her to get a cheeseburger.  They needed to have told her that now she can go get that EXACT BURGER.  Hopefully the Survivor Fiji Applebee's chef was still on the island!

How did that work anyways?  As far as I know, there are no Applebee's in Fiji.  Did the show fly an Applebee's cook to the island just for this episode?  Or did they get the recipes from Applebee's and the show cook made it himself?

• Like 3

That was far worse than Brandon Hantz's freak-out

Nah, I gotta disagree with that, he dumped all the rice out, and really seemed like he might get violent. I also remember all that weirdness about the one girl being a temptress because he found her attractive, and got her voted out before he...I'm not really sure what, it was just bizarre. I don't believe he really passed a psych test, they had to have overlooked it because of his last name.

Gretchen (the ex-military person who was actually some kind of survival instructor and thought the show was actually going to be about surviving in the jungle)

Gretchen is still my favorite player until this day, how I wish she had played again. Rob interviewed her awhile back, and she said she might be interested in a Blood vs Water season with her daughter.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Way back in the very first season, Gretchen (the ex-military person who was actually some kind of survival instructor and thought the show was actually going to be about surviving in the jungle) voted out Joel (the young buck who was either some kind of personal trainer or someone who went around selling sports equipment, I can't remember) because she said he seemed to have a lot of money and didn't really need the money.

In Thailand, Brian Heidik won the reward of a video from home, and he was pissed because it showed his nice house (that he probably paid for from his "acting" career).  I remember Clay kvetching about the grand piano.

Now we have Liz who openly tells everyone she is a millionaire.  I don't recall hearing any of the others commenting on that, have they?  Such a huge change from Joel, a young 20 something kid from Season 1 who obviously wasn't earning millions in his career, to Liz, 30 something single mom who openly says how successful she is.  I wonder if any of the jury is thinking about this.  I don't think it should matter how much money someone has.  It's about who played the best game.

In fairness, I don't know if we have really heard anyone talk much to or about Liz. Despite her claims of masterminding Soda and Tevin's ousters, we haven't really seen anybody suggest that they are really working with Liz, or want Liz to be an ally, or see her as a threat, or much of anything. 

I don't know if that's editing, a sign of how little the other Survivors think of her, or what. 

To me, Liz has goat written all over her, and I fully expect her to get to the F3 in part because I suspect there is no majority coalition for sure that would vote to give her $1 million over anyone else remaining. 

I could see 4-5 votes going for pretty much any of the other Survivors. hypothetically, but not Liz She might not be able to get a single vote in any variation of a three-person tribal.

Anyway, I have to challenge you on one point -- the winner isn't necessarily "who played the best game." It's whoever the jury thinks deserves to win $1 million the most, for whatever reasons, none of which need to be articulated or make sense.

Mostly, jurors probably tend to give it to the person who reasonably could be said to have played the best game, or at least a good enough game. But sometimes, they give it to people based on other factors, like likability or more to the point, non-hatability, their ability to make a case for themselves at the FTC. 

I am convinced that Russell Hantz is one of the best to ever play Survivor, but he has not been capable of winning because his playstyle is so alienating. 

https://screenrant.com/survivor-undeserving-winners-reddit/

• Like 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

In fairness, I don't know if we have really heard anyone talk much to or about Liz. Despite her claims of masterminding Soda and Tevin's ousters, we haven't really seen anybody suggest that they are really working with Liz, or want Liz to be an ally, or see her as a threat, or much of anything. 

I don't know if that's editing, a sign of how little the other Survivors think of her, or what. 

To me, Liz has goat written all over her, and I fully expect her to get to the F3 in part because I suspect there is no majority coalition for sure that would vote to give her $1 million over anyone else remaining. 

I could see 4-5 votes going for pretty much any of the other Survivors. hypothetically, but not Liz She might not be able to get a single vote in any variation of a three-person tribal.

Anyway, I have to challenge you on one point -- the winner isn't necessarily "who played the best game." It's whoever the jury thinks deserves to win $1 million the most, for whatever reasons, none of which need to be articulated or make sense.

Mostly, jurors probably tend to give it to the person who reasonably could be said to have played the best game, or at least a good enough game. But sometimes, they give it to people based on other factors, like likability or more to the point, non-hatability, their ability to make a case for themselves at the FTC. 

I am convinced that Russell Hantz is one of the best to ever play Survivor, but he has not been capable of winning because his playstyle is so alienating. 

https://screenrant.com/survivor-undeserving-winners-reddit/

I see and agree, it's some combination of who played the best and who the jury liked the best.  On the Winners at War season, I think Natalie Anderson deserved to win.  She fought back from exile.  She was great in challenges.  The moves she did with the tokens to buy herself the advantages she needed in the final IC to get to the end was masterful.  

But there was a whole group of bittercakes jury members who didn't like the idea that someone who had been evicted could come back and win, so they conspired to vote for anyone but her.

Russell probably comes across as abrasive to other contestants, and who wants to reward a huge asshole, no matter how well he played?

• Like 2

Show is setting up for a Kenzie “do my eyes look so blue?  Everyone says my eyes are amazing blue when I cry” win.  Ugh. And Liz says the money isn’t needed (offensive when buying groceries is a stretch) and she’s allergic to everything.  Liz is so unlikeable.  As is Q whose speech comes off as he isn’t very bright. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

I’ve had this thought in the past, but felt it more strongly this episode when Kenzie was talking about “building a resume”.  I’m so sick of current contestants thinking they have to do this, and that there are certain things that are “bullet points” for this (ex. vote out your closest ally).

I remember the early years when it was hard for contestants to throw off the rules of regular society, and those who did were practically branded as evil.  Then, people eventually got into the “anything goes” spirit.  Now, we have come almost full circle into a time where the contestants honestly feel that there are “rules” to this game.  Then there are those who do weird things to try and “break” the rules of the game to “make a name” for themselves.  Ugh!

Thanks for saying this.   I wholeheartedly agree.   The term "resume" seems to have infiltrated the show five or six years ago.   What next? Survivor LinkedIn pages?  What was Maria blathering about?  How if you don't achieve a blindside you can't win or some baloney like that?   Resumes mean crap.   All that matters in this game is if people LIKE you.  Period.   Bonus points if you can make the jury laugh.   Cassidy was robbed a few seasons ago.    And why?   Because that goat Gabler devised a cutesy nickname for himself in his final address to the jury.  "I'm Alla-gabler!"  (Though I suppose it could be argued that he alone recognized the jury was so feeble-minded it could be won over with a bad pun.)

• Like 5

OK, I just have to add that one of my favorite scenes was the three guys sitting around the fire, Liz screams in the background and they all 3 look toward the beach.  "What was that?"  "Oh, that's just Liz screaming some more".  and then back to the fire. Wish I could attach a clip, save it for later when I need a laugh.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, blackwing said:

On the Winners at War season, I think Natalie Anderson deserved to win.  She fought back from exile.  She was great in challenges.  The moves she did with the tokens to buy herself the advantages she needed in the final IC to get to the end was masterful.

She would have been the favorite to win for me if she had taken out Tony. She just needed to take out the King of the Hill, Tony. It would have taken some risk on her part but she needed to do it. She needed to get him voted out or beat him in the fire making challenge, not just throw him into the fire making challenge against someone else and hope he lost. She needed a splash.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, blackwing said:

How did that work anyways?  As far as I know, there are no Applebee's in Fiji.  Did the show fly an Applebee's cook to the island just for this episode?  Or did they get the recipes from Applebee's and the show cook made it himself?

Jeff addressed this on the podcast. They fly out a chef from Applebee's, along with all the ingredients.

• Like 2