Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E08: That’s What Being Strong Will Do

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I'm a horrible person.  Ricky/Cesar: Go straight.  Just go straight.  Me:  Not gonna happen.

It reminded me of how a friend would give directions when she was riding with her gay bestie: "Proceed forward without changing direction."

• LOL 11
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Good episode. I don’t think Ricky & Cesar winning most of the legs wrecks this season.

The thing I like about them when I normally wouldn't root for a 2-guy team is that if you told me a 2-guy team would win 5 out of the first (8?) legs, I think most of us would think the pilots would be the team doing it.

Ricky and Cesar are a deceptively strong team.

2 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

I liked how respectful  Danny and Angie were  to one another. 

I'm also not sure how stopping helps when you lose the crew. Wouldn't the crew have all the directions,  they sure took their time..jmho.

I liked Danny and Angie too.  He could maybe be a little intense or too much of a cheerleader but overall, I think he tried to have a good attitude.  Seeing how many teams melt down, I will give him a lot of credit for that.  There are worse things than sometimes being a bit annoying. 

1 hour ago, mertensia said:

Juan and Shane did the right thing by going for the seaweed.

I enjoyed the episode and some shaking up of placements.

Those little vehicles were cute. 

• Like 16
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I don't want a 2 military bros team to win for a second season in a row.

Greg & John from last season weren't in the military.  They were in damn good shape, but not in the military.

No one's mentioned them yet, but I had to shake my head at Yvonne & Melissa.  They had first place at their fingertips had they just done Seaweed Clearing.  And then . . . Yvonne pretty stupidly psyches herself out of it just due to the distance on the beach?  And Melissa just as stupidly lets her talk her into switching?  They've pretty consistently picked the wrong Detour for them over the last several legs, and it's almost maddening.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Good episode. I don’t think Ricky & Cesar winning most of the legs wrecks this season. They’ve had tough moments, and you can see them fraying a little. They just work things out and kick ass.

Uh, yes, it does.  As @Drummermom said, it completely takes away the competitive suspense.  And personally, I want to be on the edge of my seat each week, not rolling my eyes knowing how each leg is going to end.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:
7 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Really?  When was that?  And why didn't it work?

Short story: they did Face-to-Face at the end of a leg for two seasons years ago. It basically killed momentum, and Phil had to do play-by-play like Jeff Probst. That was before he did that on Tough as Nails, and it wasn’t his strong suit.

If I remember correctly, it was also that the losing team could not move on until they beat another team (compared with rr2911's suggestion of a time penalty). A major problem that became apparent was that if the the task was rather physical, the losing team would get progressively more fatigued each time they had to retry the competition, leading to further losses. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Tango64 said:

At first I thought Dany and Angie took the correct roundabout exit and the crew didn’t. So I wondered why they were being penalized waiting for the crew. But then at the mat they said they took the wrong exit??? So how did they get to the task first?

What does losing the crew even mean?  Isn’t the crew supposed to follow them no matter where they are going, even if they are going to the wrong place or taking the wrong exit?  Weird that a team is penalized when the crew failed at their job.  Although, I guess it wasn’t a penalty, they simply couldn’t continue filming without the crew and had to wait, but still, Danny and Angie lost time through no fault of their own.

The ending felt kind of out of nowhere. Here we were, watching everybody assembling those cages without any drama or visible problems (except for Rod and Leticia), and then all of a sudden Angie and Danny are last.  It was like someone was picked randomly for elimination, there wasn’t any buildup or anything.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5

Danny and Mom were right back in it at the fish trap challenge.  All they had to do was show a little hustle instead of taking their time trying to make it look pretty.  (Because you all know crabs choose a pretty trap over an ugly one.)  It's their own fault they were eliminated.

Good work by the Amazing Editors to juxtapose Vinnie and Amber sniping at each other and Rod and Leticia being all supportive and loving.  Even the editors hate V&A.  

Maybe it's a little boring that Ricky and Cesar keep winning (or showing up second), but it's refreshing to see a team perform so consistently well with so little drama.  (Or are all the other teams just that bad?)  I hope after such a strong race they will win.  They've certainly earned it.

3 hours ago, Rodney said:

They had first place at their fingertips had they just done Seaweed Clearing.

I'm not sure.  Juan and Shane were gassed by the time they finished.  (Yes, they pushed extra hard to catch up.)  I'm not sure Y&M could have pushed that wheel barrow several times through the sand quicker than they built the trap.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I'm not sure Y&M could have pushed that wheel barrow several times through the sand quicker than they built the trap.

I dont think people realize how hard that would be to do on sand.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, shura said:

What does losing the crew even mean?  Isn’t the crew supposed to follow them no matter where they are going, even if they are going to the wrong place or taking the wrong exit?  Weird that a team is penalized when the crew failed at their job.  Although, I guess it wasn’t a penalty, they simply couldn’t continue filming without the crew and had to wait, but still, Danny and Angie lost time through no fault of their own.

I kept thinking the same thing.  Isn't the crew supposed to be shadowing the teams - no matter where they go??  What does right or wrong exit have to do with anything?  If Danny and Angie got off at any exit - shouldn't the crew have followed them.  It sure seems like they were penalized for the crew making mistake - not because of a misstep by themselves.  

• Like 18
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, freeser said:

I kept thinking the same thing.  Isn't the crew supposed to be shadowing the teams - no matter where they go??  What does right or wrong exit have to do with anything?  If Danny and Angie got off at any exit - shouldn't the crew have followed them.  It sure seems like they were penalized for the crew making mistake - not because of a misstep by themselves.  

I'm not where I can go back and watch, but it seems like Danny and Angie were doing the roundabout "wrong."  I think they were cutting people off because there was a lot of honking and turning and it seems like they had to go back around again.  If the crew did the roundabout "correctly" instead of cutting people off (dangerously) to follow, it would be easy to be separated.  Then Danny and Angie just went straight to the task without trying to find their crew.  If the crew stopped to try to find them before going on, that's lost time too.

• Like 18
  • Useful 1

It can be surprisingly easy to lose a car that's supposed to be following you.  Maybe there's heavy traffic and the following car gets cut off, losing sight of the leading car.  Or maybe the leading car makes a red light that catches the following car.  Or maybe the leading car takes an unexpected exit from a roundabout and the following car can't get over in time to take the same exit and has to go around again (hey kids, there's Big Ben!).  Or maybe, as happened to me once, a similar car is near the leading car, and the following car follows the wrong car.

I do hope Angie and Danny address it -- did their crew continue to look for them after getting separated?  Seems like the best option would have been just to go straight to the next task instead of wandering around.  It was interesting, too, that Danny couldn't get the crew to respond on the Walkie Talkie, but I don't know what kind of range that kind has.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, shura said:

The ending felt kind of out of nowhere. Here we were, watching everybody assembling those cages without any drama or visible problems (except for Rod and Leticia), and then all of a sudden Angie and Danny are last.  It was like someone was picked randomly for elimination, there wasn’t any buildup or anything.

It’s possible that the teams were required to radio their turns to the crew. We saw, for the first time, that the racers are equipped with walkie talkies. There must be a reason for this . I think we were allowed to see this to partially explain the whole “ lost crew “ drama. Both Danny and his mother were talking to the following crew but when they went around the roundabout and continued without the crew following, Angie said they should wait up right then and there for the crew since they weren’t that far apart and the walkie talkies should still work. Danny said no, that the crew would catch up to them at the mat. If they violated a rule that all turns have to be communicated to the crew, then they deserved to be eliminated.

only speculation, of course, but kind of makes sense. Why else have the radios? ( assuming the “help I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” is yet another reason for the radios ). No way a crew could keep up with small little cars turning left and right in the middle of a city with out notice of the turns so they could follow.

• Like 7

But if you are in the middle of a roundabout with speeding cars whizzing by, its very easy to not communicate correctly which exit you are taking.  But the rule of getting lost is, stop and stay where you are, let the others find you.  Seems like a crazy thing to penalize to the point of getting kicked out of the race.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, bunnyface said:

...  Then Danny and Angie just went straight to the task without trying to find their crew.  If the crew stopped to try to find them before going on, that's lost time too.

No, Danny was saying the instructions were if they lost the crew they were suppose to go directly to the next task and wait for them.  Those would be the crew's instructions too.  They would meet up with the team they were covering at the next task.  Not go look for them.  Which was what happened.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

No, Danny was saying the instructions were if they lost the crew they were suppose to go directly to the next task and wait for them.  Those would be the crew's instructions too.  They would meet up with the team they were covering at the next task.  Not go look for them.  Which was what happened.

They got to the next task before their crew did though, so if they lost time looking for the crew, then the crew probably did not go directly to the next task either.  Or maybe got seriously lost on their way there. Come on, crew.

Why was the crew in a separate car anyway?  I thought it might have been a Covid thing, but they did not use separate cars for the team and the crew on previous legs, everyone was just fine riding together.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I'm not where I can go back and watch, but it seems like Danny and Angie were doing the roundabout "wrong."  I think they were cutting people off because there was a lot of honking and turning and it seems like they had to go back around again.  If the crew did the roundabout "correctly" instead of cutting people off (dangerously) to follow, it would be easy to be separated. 

Ah, this is starting to make sense. I do recall that the short video of the crew car in the roundabout showed them going clockwise. They drive on the left in Barbados, so if Angie mistakenly went counterclockwise in the roundabout as we do in the states, that would explain the honking and how they separated from the crew. That makes it the fault of the racers and not the crew. Just a few words in voiceover from Phil would have helped us understand that. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

Driving in roundabouts isn't fun if you're not used to them.  (And most Americans aren't really used to them.)  Giving directions to someone driving a roundabout is maddening at best.  I was on vacation with a friend years ago, in a country with tons of roundabouts.  She was the driver.  It was understood that if I said "go straight" it meant act as if the roundabout was a normal intersection and just continue on the road we were on.  Otherwise, I'd say "turn at the first street" or third street or whatever, indicating which "spoke" we were getting off of.  But it took a few to get that down right. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I get that pushing the wheelbarrow through the sand would have been physically difficult but I still would have chosen that over the fish trap building. The latter had too much room for error, as evidenced by Rod and Leticia, whereas the seaweed clearing was straightforward. 

I also thought the Roadblock was childishly simple. Either the local players weren't very good, or they were going very easy on the teams. Leticia's partner, in particular, was gently lobbing the ball right to her, seeing how badly she was doing.

Biggest shakeups were Juan and Shane going from 5th to 2nd, and Rod and Leticia going from 3rd to 5th. Angie and Danny from 2nd to last. But Ricky and Cesar stayed in 1st, Amber & Vinny 4th to 3rd, Yvonne and Melissa 5th to 4th. Still not a lot of movement in terms of placement.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, shura said:

Why was the crew in a separate car anyway?

Those cars were barely big enough for the teams and their backpacks, much less two more people with camera and sound equipment!  I don't think the cars even had backseats, did they?  Seemed like an open-ish area where they put their bags.

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, shura said:

Why was the crew in a separate car anyway?  I thought it might have been a Covid thing, but they did not use separate cars for the team and the crew on previous legs, everyone was just fine riding together.

I think someone upthread mentioned vehicle size.  Those jeeps were adorably cute and not big enough to fit four people + camera equipment safely/comfortably.

16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I also thought the Roadblock was childishly simple. Either the local players weren't very good, or they were going very easy on the teams. Leticia's partner, in particular, was gently lobbing the ball right to her, seeing how badly she was doing.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if all the locals were instructed to go easy on the racers.  Otherwise there's no way they could ever hope to score 11 points and at some point the racers need to keep going.  Either that or have Phil do a Phield Philimination on the teams in order of arrival at the Roadblock.

• Like 4

I would be interested to know how long Angie and Danny had to wait for their crew. 10 minutes?  Half an hour?  We know 2 or 3 other teams passed them while they waited but it could have all happened in a short time.  I still think they could have made up time to finish ahead of Rod and Leticia is they hadn’t been so concerned with how the cage looked.

Id also like to know why the producers rented all those tiny jeeps instead of cars that could accommodate the racers and crew.

Some racers scored more points off the street tennis players hitting out of bounds than from good shots of their own.  The street players had to be slower and more gentle than they were used to. 

• Like 3

I don’t always have eyes on the TV when I watch TAR. Ricky and Danny sound very similar! Guess that won’t be a problem now…

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 7:20 AM, Haleth said:

I'm not sure.  Juan and Shane were gassed by the time they finished.  (Yes, they pushed extra hard to catch up.)  I'm not sure Y&M could have pushed that wheel barrow several times through the sand quicker than they built the trap.

True, but they got there significantly well before Juan & Shane did.  They could've taken it.

Actually, it's a bit bewildering that nearly all of the teams let the distance of that Detour scare them off when it was obviously the more straightforward one.  This is the first time I've seen the bulk of the teams pick the obvious trap over the straightforward task.

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Those cars were barely big enough for the teams and their backpacks, much less two more people with camera and sound equipment!  I don't think the cars even had backseats, did they?  Seemed like an open-ish area where they put their bags.

There also would have been the risk of all the equipment getting wet if they were in the same cars.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Driving in roundabouts isn't fun if you're not used to them.  (And most Americans aren't really used to them.)  Giving directions to someone driving a roundabout is maddening at best.  I was on vacation with a friend years ago, in a country with tons of roundabouts.  She was the driver.  It was understood that if I said "go straight" it meant act as if the roundabout was a normal intersection and just continue on the road we were on.  Otherwise, I'd say "turn at the first street" or third street or whatever, indicating which "spoke" we were getting off of.  But it took a few to get that down right. 

As I recall, racers are also told to obey all traffic laws and speed limits.  If Angie was going the wrong way on a roundabout, the crew wasn't going to double the problem by doing the same and production probably would've had a fit if they did; let alone if both drivers got citations for it.  I expect the crew had to figure out how to get where Danny and Angie went and also how to get there without breaking the traffic laws as Angie apparently did.  It could take some time, especially if they didn't know that Danny and Angie had continued to the challenge and weren't sitting on the side of the road waiting for them.  I believe they talked to the crew about doing that right before they got out of walkie talkie range.

d also like to know why the producers rented all those tiny jeeps instead of cars that could accommodate the racers and crew.

The camera crews were in separate cars because the cars were too small for all the people and equipment to ride together.  Don't know if that was based on the sorts of rentals available or if TPTB just wanted to try something different.  Probably the same reason they sometimes tell them to take a cab and other times tell them to walk or use public transportation. Navigation is a big part of the game and mixing it up is one way to keep the teams on their toes.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
(edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 9:35 PM, Lamb18 said:

Phil forgot to say "home of Netfoot" when he made his introductory comments.

Grrr! I can truly say this is one country I am not going to go on holiday to.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:22 PM, Browncoat said:

That is a gorgeous beach.

Which one? The one with the fish-pot build / sargassum cleanup? Or the one they showed at the very beginning and kept returning to?

On 5/1/2024 at 10:56 PM, PaperTree said:

Angie was cool but I won't miss Danny

Ditto!

On 5/1/2024 at 10:57 PM, Lantern7 said:

Angie said “Philiminated.” That’s awesome.

And Phil himself did as well! 

On 5/2/2024 at 9:53 AM, bunnyface said:

I'm not where I can go back and watch, but it seems like Danny and Angie were doing the roundabout "wrong."

Roundabouts here are not consistent. Which lane you should be in for which exit varies from roundabout to roundabout and locals have to essentially memorize the rules on a per roundabout basis. Also, there is a traffic-reduction maneuver allowed on roundabouts called "Jam Busting". It involves switching lanes as you exit the roundabout. When first introduced, the number of fender benders went up several hundred percent. It is so crazy that the Commissioner of Police forbade any police vehicles from using the Jam Busting technique. Even if you don't attempt Jam Busting yourself you can run afoul of other vehicles that are.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, Tango64 said:

if Angie mistakenly went counterclockwise in the roundabout as we do in the states...

The way the roundabouts are designed it would be quite difficult to make this mistake. 

roundabout.jpg.3259fff0acff9a28f6ad158d95291dbd.jpg

Difficult to see someone assuming the red path was the correct one.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:42 PM, iMonrey said:

I get that pushing the wheelbarrow through the sand would have been physically difficult but I still would have chosen that over the fish trap building.

It depends which part of the beach you walk/push your barrow. Close to the water it is soft and boggy. Higher up the beach it is powdery and sinky-inny. But in between there is a strip of hard packed sand that is smooth and firm and you could probably ride a bicycle on it.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:42 PM, iMonrey said:

Either the local players weren't very good, or they were going very easy on the teams.

I think they were obviously playing very easy. Phil said something about scoring 11 points on a rally so the local lads were probably just lobbing the ball back and forth without making any attempt to score.

Last time I played road tennis was long, long ago, before they codified any formal rules. We played with our open hand. Wooden racquets were introduced later. Someone made a comment about using a wooden "net". This is because if a car or truck comes along while you are playing you need to move the "net" to let them pass. a real net would be more difficult to move/replace.

Must say the editing was quite a surprise. Several teams went from the Swing Bridge via Wharf Rd., Princess Alice Hwy. and Prescod Blvd. to the South end of Spring Garden. One guy says "This is definitely not Spring Garden" when it clearly was, close to the Northern end. He then says "We got to stop and ask for directions!" So they stop at Pelican Village which is at the junction of Princess Alice & Prescod, over a kilometer before they get to the South end of Spring Garden.

Someone else was saying how they had to get to Spring Garden while they were in Country Rd, which would be on a more direct route to Fairfield (but does drive through the middle of the city) and goes nowhere near Spring Garden.

Spring Garden would not be a good way to get to Fairfield anyway. You would have to go North to a point beyond Fairfield, and when you come off of Spring Garden you would then have to turn back South again to find your destination.

I would pass the Spring Garden turn, continue on President Kennedy Dr. to Eagle Hall crossroad, then North on Eagle Hall Main Rd. looking to turn right into Fairfield at a suitable point. Or, from Country Rd. I would turn right on Lower Bank Hall Main Rd., then left onto Eagle Hall Main Rd. and North through the crossroad.

There were several shots of multiple teams passing the "Grey Gates Hotel" (local nut-hatch) on their left. This means they were on Eagle Hall Main Rd. heading North. If they had used Spring Garden and turned South, it would have been on their right.

Ok, so what I gather from all this is that 1)  the teams were given far more detailed instructions than just a map (at one point didn't someone say "we have to follow the yellow wall" or something like that?), and 2) they edit together disconnected, out-of-order clips & cuts to make up the driving sequences. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
(edited)

It's cute that Leticia thinks there's an "interstate" in Barbados.

Edited by J-Man
  • LOL 11
11 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The camera crews were in separate cars because the cars were too small for all the people and equipment to ride together.  Don't know if that was based on the sorts of rentals available or if TPTB just wanted to try something different.  Probably the same reason they sometimes tell them to take a cab and other times tell them to walk or use public transportation. Navigation is a big part of the game and mixing it up is one way to keep the teams on their toes.

That’s fine, but renting tiny cars created a situation where the crew could get lost or pop a tire, and their team would be out because they had to wait for the crew.  They do have normal size cars in Barbados, and I doubt very much they were out when TAR came. They just went for cute, probably.  Not a great call on the production’s part. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, shura said:

They do have normal size cars in Barbados, and I doubt very much they were out when TAR came. They just went for cute, probably.  Not a great call on the production’s part. 

They have to rent what the rental companies have available. Small SUVs are very popular. If every team needed two and then a dozen more for Phil, advanced crews, etc, etc, maybe they could only find SUVs in sufficient quantity.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, shura said:

That’s fine, but renting tiny cars created a situation where the crew could get lost or pop a tire, and their team would be out because they had to wait for the crew.  They do have normal size cars in Barbados, and I doubt very much they were out when TAR came. They just went for cute, probably.  Not a great call on the production’s part. 

In other seasons, teams were given time credits for production issues like this and I presume if it was the crew who made the mistake and took a wrong turn or didn't follow the traffic laws; Danny and Angie would've been given a time adjustment for it.  It seems to me that, based on what we saw, it was D&A's error that caused them to lose their film crew; hence, they had to wait for the crew to catch up.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

They have to rent what the rental companies have available. Small SUVs are very popular. If every team needed two and then a dozen more for Phil, advanced crews, etc, etc, maybe they could only find SUVs in sufficient quantity.

They probably arrange all these rentals in advance though, not at the counter after getting off the plane. If this rental company doesn’t have what you need, look somewhere else.

• Like 2

They only need 6 cars to seat the teams together with their crews.  Phil, producers and the advanced crews can then rent whatever mismatched vehicles are left available. They are not on camera, their cars don’t have to look any particular way.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, shura said:

They only need 6 cars to seat the teams together with their crews.

The six teams needed a vehicle each. Then, their crew would need a second vehicle each to follow behind. So, a dozen vehicles for the racer teams alone. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

The six teams needed a vehicle each. Then, their crew would need a second vehicle each to follow behind. So, a dozen vehicles for the racer teams alone. 

Do the eliminated teams still run decoy?  That adds to the number of vehicles needed.

In their exit interview, Danny said that their crew didn't arrive at the beach until 90 minutes after they did, and that after waiting for quite a while, they ended up using another available crew that was already at the beach.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 2
36 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I am trying to do the opposite - have the team and their crew in the same vehicle, like they usually do.  This would eliminate the possibility of losing their crew and having to wait for them for 90 minutes (!). So six total, plus decoys, maybe.

2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Which one? Thye one with the fish-pot build /  sargassum cleanup? Or the one they showed at the very beginning and kept returning to?

All of them!  But I don't remember which one I was specifically referring when I commented last night.

1 hour ago, Silver-hyren said:

Do the eliminated teams still run decoy?  That adds to the number of vehicles needed.

No.  Up to F6, they go home, and then meet in the final destination city (called End City by the teams) a few days before the F3 teams arrive.  F5 and F4 are just sent straight to wherever End City is now.  No more decoys.

So Angie & Danny likely went home, and whichever two teams get eliminated after them will be sent straight to the final city.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

All of them!

They really only showed two. The one at the beginning with Phil saying "This is Barbados. 21 miles long, 14 miles wide..." is Rockley Beach, but commonly referred to as Accra Beach by locals. It is a nice beach, but close to town and usually busy and more densely populated. 

The other beach where they did the challenges is in Long Bay and is called Long Bay Beach or simply Long Beach. Far less populated, and accessible by pushing your way through the sea-grape trees on whatever footpaths you can find. If you want to find a beach "Far from the Madding Crowd", this might be a better choice for you.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, J-Man said:

In their exit interview, Danny said that their crew didn't arrive at the beach until 90 minutes after they did, and that after waiting for quite a while, they ended up using another available crew that was already at the beach.

Barbados is 20 miles by 15 miles long.  It took the crew 90 minutes to get to the beach??  I wouldn't think it should take 90 minutes to get anywhere on the island.

It appears they had a very directionally challenged crew following them.  That seems like a really poor penalty they had to endure for what seems to be a very poor crew assigned to them.  And then after all that waiting, they got another available crew to use.  Really unfortunate to have something like this determine they had to leave the show.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
46 minutes ago, freeser said:

Barbados is 20 miles by 15 miles long.  It took the crew 90 minutes to get to the beach??  I wouldn't think it should take 90 minutes to get anywhere on the island.

Traffic can be very bad, but they appeared to be on the highway (ABC, not Spring Garden) when they got separated. A straight shot down the highway would be the fastest way to Chancery Lane. Which is where they would need to go. 90 minutes does sound like a long time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I don't think that was fair at all. The crew is the one who got lost not following them in the roundabout even they penalized and lost because of it.  

Really not deserving to leave the show for this rule. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
22 hours ago, WatcherUp2 said:

Why does a team get penalized for their crew getting lost? That's so unfair.

Did the crew lose them or mom n son made a wrong turn and lost them?  The fact that they made no attempt to get back to them made it worse.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Did the crew lose them or mom n son made a wrong turn and lost them?

Racers drive around and get lost all the time. It must be the crew's responsibility to follow them, no matter how far afield they go. Not vice versa

• Like 11
  • Applause 6

I really felt the 90 minutes with this episode. I was fast-forwarding (just a little mostly at the end) because I didn't want to miss any funny comments but I might be fast-forwarding more the next episode if it's also like this. Part of it was that it was just a rainy day. Nothing looks as good and seeing everyone get drenched wasn't fun. But watching them play anything like pickleball or tennis was always going to be boring. You could tell that the players took it easy on them eventually... some were barely moving to chase the ball and they were clearly intentionally hitting it so their opponents could score a point. The fish pots were not that much better so I'm glad the pilots at least chose the seaweed task to bring some drama and make it interesting. I didn't think Rod and Leticia should have switched but I don't know why this was the one time he avoided the physical task. This was one leg where the joyful greeters at the mat made for one of the more fun parts of the episode. The stilt walkers were very impressive. The way they could bounce on one leg and dance like that without losing their center of gravity. 

Rod is one sweet husband.  Gosh, I like him.

There have been a lot of muscly or athletic guys in couple teams that try to give off positive energy. For instance, Todd from last season. Rod is one of the few that I genuinely believe. Even if it comes from a sports mentality of just moving forward, he seems pretty affable. He doesn't seem to let things get him down for long. I do enjoy watching Ricky and Cesar as well but it's easy to be positive when you're always winning. I do like Juan and Shane when they're around but they were a little forgettable this episode aside from the end.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Racers drive around and get lost all the time. It must be the crew's responsibility to follow them, no matter how far afield they go. Not vice versa

Someone already posted about this, but if you recall, Angie seemed to make a wrong turn or was going on the roundabout the wrong way.  People were honking at her so she did something she wasn't suppose to do.  Other drivers aren't going to just stop and let the Racers in because of a show.  Like I said, someone explained what probably happened.  It made sense.  It was Danny's and Angie's fault in my opinion.

• Like 4

It can't be the racers responsibility to follow the crew. Otherwise there would be no navigation issues. All the teams would simply follow their crew and go directly to the next point of interest.

People were probably honking because she was swerving around, changing lanes on the highway/roundabout and threatening to hit other cars.

• Like 8