Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Holes Are Bad

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone involved in the spoiler policy discussion. The conversation was respectful and the information that fellow posters provided on the policy was accepted with equal respect. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, enduringforce said:

I also like the part when the ghosts were trying to figure out if they remove floor planks do they keep the ghost properties of floor or become like wall? It kinda of had dialog like the Barbie movie; Ken does beach, not surf. 

"Is it a floor floor, or a wall wall?"  That was pretty funny.  

24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Trevor's expression and the way he sort of dipped his head down really got me the most for some reason.

I noticed that too.  It was such an expression of pain.  On a happier note, I liked all of the ghost's excitement upon learning that Flower might be in the well.  Thor's 'aha' moment on that was pretty funny too.  She calls out from the Great Beyond, "I am well!"  Um, Thor, could it be she's saying she's in a well?  

8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

But yeah, I mean, clearly Hetty was not in a good headspace for thinking logically or rationally in that moment, so in that respect, her reasoning that killing herself would spare Thomas makes sense. 

And in that time period her options were rather limited (as a woman).  Even though Alberta forgave Hetty for keeping the details about her murder secret, hopefully this will help Alberta understand the hell that Hetty has been going through regarding her son and how she feels responsible for how he turned out.   

• Like 10
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

On a happier note, I liked all of the ghost's excitement upon learning that Flower might be in the well.  Thor's 'aha' moment on that was pretty funny too.  She calls out from the Great Beyond, "I am well!"  Um, Thor, could it be she's saying she's in a well?  

Also, "Is that how you found me?" "Yes.....what? Is true."

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Died of fever in Ohio...but they still made good time. Less than two months!

I loved that line. But I wonder if it would have really taken two months to get from New York to Michigan even back in the horse and buggy days. They must have made an awful lot of stops along the way. 

23 hours ago, chaifan said:

Nitpicky things that detracted from an otherwise perfect episode...  how does one strangle oneself?  

Also, how did killing herself save  Hetty's son from financial ruin? 

I'm not clear on her manner of death either. I initially assumed she hanged herself and that maybe the cord snapped, otherwise (according to what we know of ghost rules and people staying the way there were when they died) you'd think the extended part would be hanging from her neckline. But maybe she's able to wind it around herself to hide it. 

As for Hetty's son, the lawyer said the authorities could confiscate their money and property if she was convicted. Since Thomas himself could not be charged with any crime, there was no danger of that. I assume once Thomas inherited the business he had to comply with the law and fire the children. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I just love that this is the second time Isaac sneezing didn't end well for someone. First Nigel, now Patience...apparently it's a bad idea to be around Isaac when he's sneezing :p.

I’ve been thinking this too... Isaac’s allergies are dangerous for those around him! 😆

Edited by Maelstrom
Stupid formatting stupidity
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

So much good writing and directing in this episode. 

When the ghosts were trying to contact Sam and Jay, Pete "translated" liquid stone for Thor and defended him when Trevor didn't immediately understand.  Moments later, Thor suggested, "Do FaceTime...is just one button" and then said Sam should update her IOS.  

Pete's response, "Okay, you know FaceTime?  Are you messing with us?  I don't even know what's real anymore."

So smart.  Their back and forth about modern grammar and technology has been going on since season one.  Nice callback, writers.

Another small moment:  When Stephanie came into the room, Trevor crossed his legs and pulled down his jacket.  Asher Grodman is such an expressive actor.

Finally, I liked all the visuals of circles in this episode:  when the ghosts were looking into the well, when they were huddled around the phone during the FaceTime call, and even looking down at Flower encircled by the "walls" of the well.  Immediately before Hetty said she knew how to save Flower, she was standing outside of the circle and moved back inside it when she pulled out the cord.   I think that circle became a symbol of how friendship and family strengthens us when we work together to help each other.  Pretty deep stuff for a sweet little tv comedy.  

I really hope they submit this episode for Emmy consideration.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 9
  • Love 10

A policeman yelled, "This is the end of the line!" just before Hetty pulled the telephone cord. 

I thought that was pretty prophetic of Hetty's demise.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I loved that line. But I wonder if it would have really taken two months to get from New York to Michigan even back in the horse and buggy days. They must have made an awful lot of stops along the way.

By just horse and buggy, I could see it taking two months.  By Hetty's time in 1895 there would have been railroads and she probably could have done it in a week or two.  They seem to like the running gag of how much slower things were in Hetty's day, although I think they tend to exaggerate it a bit.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

As for Hetty's son, the lawyer said the authorities could confiscate their money and property if she was convicted. Since Thomas himself could not be charged with any crime, there was no danger of that. I assume once Thomas inherited the business he had to comply with the law and fire the children. 

Yes, they emphasized convicted, with the lawyer saying it and Hetty later repeating it.  There was nothing about debts - which would be paid out of the estate so her death wouldn't have preserved their wealth for Thomas - only about the charges Elias and Hetty were facing (and then Hetty alone, since Elias couldn't be found), and how, if convicted (which she would be, since she was guilty and he of even more things so if they put those on her, too, she's good and done for), their assets would be seized.  As presented by the show, any financial implications for the Woodstone heir went poof as soon as Hetty joined Elias in not being able to be tried and convicted.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I was so worried after Heddy confessed what she did and why she was going to get sucked off. I was yelling in my head don't you dare suck off Heddy! My phone number is 4, let me repeat that back to you, 4 🤣. If I don't get to see a dinosaur wedding I'm going to riot lol. No I wouldn't do that I love this show too much but I really, really want to see a dinosaur wedding. 😁 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Lugal said:

By just horse and buggy, I could see it taking two months.  By Hetty's time in 1895 there would have been railroads and she probably could have done it in a week or two.  They seem to like the running gag of how much slower things were in Hetty's day, although I think they tend to exaggerate it a bit.

I remember reading a book where they were travelling by wagon train. They said if they were doing 25 miles a day they were doing well.

• Like 1

Rebecca Wisocky got an honorary mention on TV Line's "Performer of the Week" list for this episode:

https://tvline.com/lists/walton-goggins-ella-purnell-performance-fallout-finale-episode-8-ghoul-lucy-amazon/#comment-list-wrapper

Leave it to Ghosts star Rebecca Wisocky to make us laugh and break our hearts all within the span of a short 21-minute episode this week. The versatile actress was just as adept at delivering nonchalant zingers like “I used to always say you could never have too much morphine, but apparently, that is not correct” as she was at bringing unexpected emotional depth to her buttoned-up character’s backstory. During a tender confession, Wisocky skillfully conveyed Hetty’s desperation and regret as she opened up about her struggles while she was alive, her failures as a mother and why she took her own life. It was no easy task to deliver such a sensitive and significant moment in a half-hour comedy, but Wisocky proved that finding the delicate balance between humor and heart is her superpower. — Vlada Gelman

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

I think that this episode played as well as it did because of the relative lack of Sam and Jay. I like both characters but, with their absence, the ghosts had to fend for themselves - which led to Hetty's confession and the saving of Flower. 

Terrific episode. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

I didn't realize something until yesterday about the episode that I can't figure out, and it's bugging me.  Hetty's regular outfit is not the same one she was wearing when she died.  Could someone explain this for me?  I missed a few things, based on comments made here, so I'm going to rewatch, but this doesn't strike me as one of those instances.   🤔

38 minutes ago, BMGepinniw said:

Hetty's regular outfit is not the same one she was wearing when she died. 

It's the same.  On the first flashback, she was wearing something else.  When the police came to her house, she was wearing the current dress.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

I can't stop thinking about this episode. I wonder if Hetty had been mentally ill for some time. Her drug use takes on a whole new meaning I wonder if she was trying to self medicate and her thoughts weren't clear when she died.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

The PrimeTimer(?) interview with Rebecca Wisocky about this episode is pretty great: primetimer.com/interviews/ghosts-hetty-death-revealed-flower-rebecca-wisocky-cbs

In the flashback at the beginning of the episode, Hetty's lawyer George says:

• "They'll take your money, your homes..."

Did the actor misspeak? Or did Hetty have "homes" plural, as in more than one? 
Perhaps a neighboring home that the ghosts might be "permitted" to inhabit? Maybe that's where Prudence is?

4 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I can't stop thinking about this episode. I wonder if Hetty had been mentally ill for some time. Her drug use takes on a whole new meaning I wonder if she was trying to self medicate and her thoughts weren't clear when she died.

Yes. I think having no rights as a woman probably made her depressed and anxious. And, yes, everything she's ever said about opium made it sound like it was her "medicine" for when she was unhappy.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

The PrimeTimer(?) interview with Rebecca Wisocky about this episode is pretty great: primetimer.com/interviews/ghosts-hetty-death-revealed-flower-rebecca-wisocky-cbs

In the flashback at the beginning of the episode, Hetty's lawyer George says:

• "They'll take your money, your homes..."

Did the actor misspeak? Or did Hetty have "homes" plural, as in more than one? 
Perhaps a neighboring home that the ghosts might be "permitted" to inhabit? Maybe that's where Prudence is?

Yes. I think having no rights as a woman probably made her depressed and anxious. And, yes, everything she's ever said about opium made it sound like it was her "medicine" for when she was unhappy.

Hetty probably had a summer home as many rich people did. She needed drugs to cope with her husband's multiple affairs.

• Like 10

Hetty could have been worse off. At that time it was not unusual for a husband to have his wife put away in a madhouse: for being depressed, for not acting like a doormat, etc.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Chit Chat said:
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Trevor's expression and the way he sort of dipped his head down really got me the most for some reason.

12 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

I noticed that too.  It was such an expression of pain. 

In the Primetimer interview kathyk2 linked, Rebecca Wisocky mentions how Hetty and Trevor are really a lot alike: "Now I think they're almost exactly the same in different ways. Trevor came up in a new Gilded Age with an opioid crisis, class disparity, and ridiculous, ostentatious displays of wealth. He was so incredibly driven by money and power, and Hetty was exactly the same way and unscrupulous about it. A '90s Wall Street bro? That's exactly who that was, too. Those two have a lot more to say to one another and I enjoy their relationship a lot."

I was thinking about it earlier and wondered if Trevor hadn't had his own dark thoughts, between the high-pressure finance world and the drugs, and his reaction was one of real understanding.

• Like 11
32 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I thought about that in regards to her manner of death, too, because the general attitude/stereotype when it comes to women committing suicide is that women generally don't use those kinds of methods to do so. Rather, they often tend to take drugs/pills instead, 'cause they think about who'll find the body and don't want to leave a mess and all that. 

So if she had been struggling for some time, maybe she'd tried to use drugs before but she'd become so used to taking them that it wasn't going to have the necessary effect.

Of course, there's also the fact that dying via drugs would've potentially taken a while, too, and that was time she didn't really have, but yeah. 

• Like 1
On 4/18/2024 at 11:01 PM, iMonrey said:

(And Ralph never thought her would be as happy as when he got to try an orange.)

If being perfectly happy is what it takes to get sucked off, then Thor should have qualified once he was alone with Flower after thinking her gone forever.

• Like 5
(edited)

I agree about the the similarity between Hetty and Trevor (both being from wealth-driven excess), but there is also a contrast in that she was so very naive and buttoned up and he was so pleasure-driven and self-indulgent.

But they both died while doing an act of self-sacrificing kindness toward another-- and tried to hide it for a long time, even from their ghost-buddies.

And I guess neither of them felt they had any friends in life. Maybe all the ghosts feel like they died with secrets, or alone, unloved. Pete was in denial about his marriage, but it's clear he wasn't well-loved there. Flower I guess had friends but she was very medicated and checked out of reality in a way. Isaac seems to have had a wife who loved him, but he was keeping his true self hidden. Thor was abandoned by his fellow travellers. We don't know what happened to Sassapis. Alberta was murdered, though it's not clear that she was unhappy or alone in general, I guess. Am I forgetting anyone? 

Of the non-core ghosts, we have Stephanie, Crash, and the cholera crew, plus the Brits in the shed. And Pete's wife. 

I don't know that my theory really holds up.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 6

No yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. Loneliness is a very big theme of this show in general - we've seen it most prominently with Jay's struggle to make friends in town and his frustration at being out of the loop when it comes to everything with Sam and the ghsots, and his desire to want to get to know them better (and vice versa). 

But yeah, it definitely also applies to the ghosts themselves, too. Even those who didn't die alone have still touched on how they never fully fit in while alive. Isaac had Beatrice by his side, thankfully, but we've also seen how he struggled to fit in with the prominent people of his day and how his struggle to accept his true self made it hard for him to get close to people and find the kind of love he longed for. And Alberta...she ran with a bunch of shady people who were more ilkely to look out for themselves and their best interests than each other. Even her relationship with Earl wasn't completely on the up and up, given his secret relationship with Thomas. And she'd also talked about being denied the chance to be a mom because she died so young, and she had to deal wtih all the racism that was promiment in her day and was turned away from some places because of it. She also talked about how long it's been since she's been with someone in the last episode, she's clearly craving some kind of emotional contact that she's not getting, or not getting enough of. 

As for Sasappis, we don't know yet if he was alone or not when he died, no, but he clearly stil dealt with some insecurities when he was alive, with his fear over telling his story and he liked a girl that he could never fully work up the nerve to talk to, and now as ghosts they're separated - he's at the mansion and she's at Sam's workplace. All the things and people he cared about in life are now gone, or too far away for him to connect to/with. 

And with the British ghosts...it's been just the three of them for over two centuries, and two of them are bitter exes at that. But they were pretty much all each other had until Nigel and Isaac started getting closer and Nigel started hanging out more with the mansion ghosts. And even then he's still struggled to fit in and find his place. Add in that the British ghosts died far from home, as did Thor, and that's another big issue for them as well, in terms of the general feeling of loneliness.

And Stephanie probably struggled to make friends when alive because typical teen girl issues, and then she loses out on a chance at a relationship and some kind of happiness in that way not once, but twice. And Crash, we don't know anything about hm, but his manner of death seems to indicate he lived fast and, obviously, died young, which isn't a lifestyle that tends to lend itself to close relationships. 

So yeah, I think they've all definitely had experience with feeling lonely and unloved in life, and they're still dealing with those feelings even now, as ghosts. That's a large part of why they cling to each other as they do, and yet, it's also why they keep secrets, because they're afraid that whatever they do reveal will negatively impact these close bonds they've managed to form with each other in some way. Or they don't know how to bring up those topics to each other, or wonder if the others will truly understand, or whatever. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Lugal said:

Yes, it's like the flashback with her father when she tried to lie about where she'd been. He asked if she wanted to stick to that story because he'd be able to read the news himself in the paper "in just a few weeks' time."

14 hours ago, Driad said:

Hetty could have been worse off. At that time it was not unusual for a husband to have his wife put away in a madhouse: for being depressed, for not acting like a doormat, etc.

That's exactly what Hetty's father did to her mother.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
57 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Thank you, I did not remember that.

• Like 2

Hetty mentioned about having to project a certain image during her life.  Now that she sees just how far women have advanced in our society, it would be interesting to know what she would've liked to have done differently in her life if she would've had the same opportunities. 

Poor Hetty. There is such sadness & regret that hangs over her, but yet she doesn't make a big deal about it with the others, hence the "Oh, great.  A pity party" line.   I'm sure all of the ghosts have their own regrets, etc., but at least they keep each other company and hopefully that helps them to keep from dwelling on past mistakes for too long.  

Spoiler

I'm looking forward to next week's episode.  I'm curious as to how Pete suddenly figures out his ghost power.  I guess he's never tried cross the property line before.  

• Like 2

I've always liked the idea that Pete either didn't know about his power/never thoguht to explore what it was, 'cause as noted, it's Pete, so he just never really thought about it, or if he did know what his power was, he never made a big to do about it because a) modesty and b) he would be a firm believer in not wanting to mess with the world and abuse one's power and all that. 

But yeah, it will be interesting to see how he's able to utilize his power, and why he doesn't/won't take advantage of it more. One of the ghosts finally has the opportunity to leave the property and yet they still come back to the mansion and the others. I think there could be some poignancy in that premise. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

I'm looking forward to next week's episode.  I'm curious as to how Pete suddenly figures out his ghost power. 

Spoiler

I guess he's never tried cross the property line before.  

Here's the link to the next episode discussion:

• Like 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

As for Sasappis, we don't know yet if he was alone or not when he died, no, but he clearly stil dealt with some insecurities when he was alive, with his fear over telling his story and he liked a girl that he could never fully work up the nerve to talk to, and now as ghosts they're separated - he's at the mansion and she's at Sam's workplace. All the things and people he cared about in life are now gone, or too far away for him to connect to/with. 

All that, plus the fact that he died so young.  I don't remember if his age was ever mentioned but I've always placed him around 20, even though Roman  Zaragosa is  older.  He never really had a chance to start living his life--or, rather, he was just beginning to when it was snatched from him--whereas the other ghosts did, even if those lives weren't necessarily always happy.  I'd imagine the yearning for what he can never know is bound to create a sense of loneliness and isolation, especially because the other ghosts really wouldn't be able to relate to that personally, though I'm sure they'd be sympathetic.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:11 PM, ams1001 said:

I was thinking about it earlier and wondered if Trevor hadn't had his own dark thoughts, between the high-pressure finance world and the drugs, and his reaction was one of real understanding.

Given that we've seen he was a decent person at heart, it's likely that he did.  The kind of life he was living is bound to become exhausting after awhile, and I think more and more he'd have been starting to recognize how empty and meaningless and futile it was.  Had he lived longer, he'd probably have started to realize he had to shed some aspects of that life or it would destroy him, which is what happened to some of the real-life finance bros (and women, for that matter) from the early 2000s.  Deep down, he might be starting to regret not being able to find someone, settle down, and have a family.  I don't see him as the sort to despair and take his own life, but there certainly might have been occasional thoughts about that.

It would be especially poignant if the writers created a story line like that for Trevor, because Asher Grodman has mentioned in interviews that he's suffered from serious depression in the past--can't remember if he had to go on meds but psychotherapy was involved.

Edited by PaulE
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

What's the rule on spoilers?  I thought that even if it appeared in a promo, it was still considered a spoiler and shouldn't be discussed until the next episode airs.  Because seriously, y'all just sorta ruined the next episode for me.  I would have been fine just knowing "we find out about Pete's ghost power", but now I know what it is. 

Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper, but I'm old school and like being surprised at things. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 2
10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

What's the rule on spoilers?  I thought that even if it appeared in a promo, it was still considered a spoiler and shouldn't be discussed until the next episode airs.  Because seriously, y'all just sorta ruined the next episode for me.  I would have been fine just knowing "we find out about Pete's ghost power", but now I know what it is. 

Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper, but I'm old school and like being surprised at things. 

I agree in principle, but I just saw an ad for the upcoming episode during 60 Minutes that gave away what the ghost power is. So you’d pretty much have to avoid CBS entirely to avoid that kind of spoiler. 

But you have a good point - we have a Spoiler & Speculation thread, and we have an episode thread for that future episode, so IMO there’s no need for people to be discussing it here. 

• Like 9

This was really one of the best episodes of the series. It had true heart to it with Hetty's tragic backstory and the gang and Thor getting Flower (who I have missed greatly) back! Plus is addresses more ghost lore like the wall/floor thing and that Sam has to be physically in the prescense of the ghosts to see them.

Also it was good to have Jay back in character after the last two episodes where he was an annoying mash up of Tony Nelson and Darren Stevens.

The only points it loses is the season one style of missing ghosts with Carol being nowhere to be found  and a deduction for the retconning of Nancy saying all basement ghosts were accounted for. I'll accept it though to get Flower back.

Look for the eventual puritanical ghost to turn up. Maybe even make her a true love interest for Pete as I do not want to see a Pete/Alberta thing the next time he pulls that arrow out of his neck.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Because seriously, y'all just sorta ruined the next episode for me.  I would have been fine just knowing "we find out about Pete's ghost power", but now I know what it is. 

Sorry about that, but because it was at the end of this episode, I thought it was fair game for discussion.  I'm surprised that you missed it!  ;)

I'll be sure and hide any info like that in the future.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Expand  

I agree in principle, but I just saw an ad for the upcoming episode during 60 Minutes that gave away what the ghost power is. So you’d pretty much have to avoid CBS entirely to avoid that kind of spoiler. 

But you have a good point - we have a Spoiler & Speculation thread, and we have an episode thread for that future episode, so IMO there’s no need for people to be discussing it here. 

I agree.  I had seen the ad also, but shouldn't have assumed everyone had seen it.  And since we do have a spoiler thread we need to be more careful about posting for episodes that haven't aired yet--I certainly will from now on.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 4/21/2024 at 3:03 PM, Annber03 said:

I've always liked the idea that Pete either didn't know about his power/never thoguht to explore what it was, 'cause as noted, it's Pete, so he just never really thought about it, or if he did know what his power was, he never made a big to do about it because a) modesty and b) he would be a firm believer in not wanting to mess with the world and abuse one's power and all that. 

But yeah, it will be interesting to see how he's able to utilize his power, and why he doesn't/won't take advantage of it more. One of the ghosts finally has the opportunity to leave the property and yet they still come back to the mansion and the others. I think there could be some poignancy in that premise. 

Spoiler

I doubt Pete knew he could leave the property. Hetty tried to leave the house in Jay's car and was brought back into the house.

• Like 2
(edited)

The title of this episode is so meta: "Holes Are Bad."
Yes, it's Thor's speech pattern, but it also is a universal fact referring to the Holes of depression that lead to self harm. 

++++++++++++++++++++

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Which specifies:

• Current Season Courtesy: Do not reveal spoilers for upcoming episodes or later parts of the current season in threads dedicated to a specific episode.

Upthread 2 of us have posted the link to the next episode's thread.
Here it is again:  
forums.primetimer.com/topic/145599-s03e09-the-travelling-agent/

It's understandable that people reading spoilers here might conclude this is the place to discuss them if they just aren't reading that it's a problem, or even noticing that this is an episode thread.

And posters who are apologizing may not be knowledgeable about how to edit their spoilery posts. I think it varies slightly with settings and browsers, but, for me, the edit feature is revealed by clicking on the three dots (…) in the top right of my post:

Screenshot2024-04-21at11_18_32PM.thumb.png.b0524b395e9bc7289b24db5e4fd3b607.png

The top right is the last place English readers look. The "Edit" feature was not always hidden. So it's understandable people might not know they can edit the spoilers out of their posts.

The nuclear option is to report the spoiler posts, hopefully using non-accusatory text about them containing spoilers. To do this, at the lower left of the post (on my settings and browser) click on the triangle with the exclamation point:

Screenshot2024-04-21at11_03_55PM.thumb.png.fb7a9e25ef23f5c80df9b1cb550c54ec.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And posters who are apologizing may not be knowledgeable about how to edit their spoilery posts. I think it varies slightly with settings and browsers, but, for me, the edit feature is revealed by clicking on the three dots (…) in the top right of my post:

Screenshot2024-04-21at11_18_32PM.thumb.png.b0524b395e9bc7289b24db5e4fd3b607.png

The top right is the last place English readers look. The "Edit" feature was not always hidden. So it's understandable people might not know they can edit the spoilers out of their posts.

Timely reminder.  And further, if you don't know how to edit a post, you may also not realize there's a way to hide spoilers (either when posting originally or when editing).  Highlight the portion of the text you want to hide, then click the "eyeball" icon at the top of the text window:

image.thumb.png.a61bf763e68d9442b7d1d79928225cc5.png

And (editing to add), if you have a spoiler in your post, please say what it's a spoiler for. Nothing is more frustrating than a spoiler box sitting there with no explanation.  Is it a spoiler for a different show or movie that you think has a similar theme?  For something you read in an interview or news article that addresses future episodes?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, North of Eden said:

and a deduction for the retconning of Nancy saying all basement ghosts were accounted for.

I would consider this a misdirect, not a retcon.  It's obvious by now that the producers always knew Flower was coming back.  It's not like they wrote completely her out, then wrote her back in and had to cover for that.  The Nancy flakiness fits with the character not really knowing how many basement ghosts there really are. 

Thank you to everyone who responded to my spoiler post.  I usually end up watching this on streaming, so the next episode ads don't appear right after the episode.  (Or if they do, I've closed out the app by then to avoid more commercials.)  And I generally don't watch trailers on line.  I'm a bit surprised the show reveals that much in the trailer for the next week.  I'd think they'd rather have it be a bit of a cliffhanger, leaving us with an Isaac *gasp* in place of knowing what Pete's power is. 

I feel like shows these days have to be constantly promising viewers "the most exciting rose ceremony ever" in the next episode, in fear of us losing interest and not watching again.  But with this show, they could have an episode where everyone simply sits around a table playing D&D the whole time, nothing happens, and I'd be perfectly happy.  They don't need to entice me to watch next week.  I'm already there. 

• Like 10
  • Love 4

I was disappointed the commercial spoiled Pete's ghost power too, but thought they also spoiled Flower being found but it turned out the episode was so much more than about Flower. So I'm hopeful they will surprise us once again.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, PaulE said:

All that, plus the fact that he died so young.  I don't remember if his age was ever mentioned but I've always placed him around 20, even though Roman  Zaragosa is  older. 

Yeah, he's 28 in real life, so he'd have been 25 when this show started. That still makes him the youngest ghost in the house (after Stephanie and the now-departed Ralph). 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I was disappointed the commercial spoiled Pete's ghost power too, but thought they also spoiled Flower being found but it turned out the episode was so much more than about Flower. So I'm hopeful they will surprise us once again.

If there's an award for Best Glass Half Full Post, this one gets it!👏🙌

And now, on a darker note:

On 4/20/2024 at 10:03 PM, Driad said:

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I had forgotten about Hetty's mother being institutionalized
— for "hysteria," right?
In the 1930s, Rosemary Kennedy was lobotomized
(nps.gov/articles/000/rosemary-kennedy-the-eldest-kennedy-daughter.htm,
 🫣 → wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Kennedy#Lobotomy).

That would be Alberta's era, right?

Hetty's story stressed that she killed herself to save her son. But it was also seemingly out of a sense of duty to preserving the status of the family, right?
And failure to do so had serious consequences, so it wasn't just a "keeping up appearances" kind of thing. 
I guess many wealthy have realized throughout history that they're just a coup away from the gallows or homelessness.

But Hetty's was a more personal motive.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That would be Alberta's era, right?

Almost; she died December 31, 1928, according to the Ghosts wiki.

A little googling and I find that the first lobotomy in the US was performed in September 1936, and Rosemary Kennedy's father had hers done in November 1941.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'm a bit surprised the show reveals that much in the trailer for the next week.  I'd think they'd rather have it be a bit of a cliffhanger, leaving us with an Isaac *gasp* in place of knowing what Pete's power is. 

Spoiler

Well he was a travel agent, so it kinda makes sense.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, enduringforce said:

I'm a bit surprised the show reveals that much in the trailer for the next week.  I'd think they'd rather have it be a bit of a cliffhanger, leaving us with an Isaac *gasp* in place of knowing what Pete's power is. 

I think they had two strategies to choose from.  In the first, they wouldn't specify what the power was, so the audience will think, "Ooooh, I wonder what it is."  In the second, which is what they chose, they'd reveal the power so the audience thinks, "Ooooh, I want to see that."

• Like 3
  • Useful 1