Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Travelling Agent

• Start Topic

“The Traveling Agent” – Pete discovers a power that he never knew he had – one that brings him closer to his buddy Jay (and further apart) April 25

WRITTEN BY: Skander Halim and Emily Schmidt

DIRECTED BY: Christine Gernon

image.jpeg.1cf468ba0e513e6d283c68c8a03e523e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Looks like fun! (This really doesn't need a spoiler tag, but I'm being extra careful!)  😉

Spoiler

And Isaac with this line "and I still have the fart thing!" 

Edited by Chit Chat
  • LOL 8
(edited)

So Nancy also slept with Carol. I did not see that coming. I agree with Alberta that the throuple will probably be a train wreck but it could be fun

I guess now that Pete knows how to find his way around town, he doesn’t need anyone to drive him

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Oh, I LIKE this resolution to the whole awkward situation with Thor and Nancy and Flower. They've found their third! Also makes sense that Flower would both defend Nancy and be open to her being part of the relationship given we know she's on friendly terms with the cholera ghosts. 

And Nancy and Carol! And Carol hooking up with Baxter! Amazing. Just amazing :D. 

As for Pete, wow, he had quite a time of it his first night out in town. What the hell happens at that store that there's people with meat cleavers in their heads haunting it?! I LOVED the detail of the ghosts who died by being trampled to death on Black Friday, though, LOL. That's perfect. 

But of course he would make it back home with his scout training. And he's willing to go back out in the world again, to the point of going on a plane! Wow. That's a huge development for both him and the ghost lore/world in general, so I'll be really curious to see how they deal with that going forward in general. 

I absolutely cracked up at Isaac struggling to describe a bus, and the running thing of Jay just going to any Sonic in the area :p. And LOL at Sam's reaction upon finding out that Isaac and Nigel were planning to honeymoon in her and Jay's room XD. 

So torn about next week, 'cause on the one hand I'm so excited to see what hapepns in that episode, but on the other hand, last episode of the season :(. But yeah. Very, very curious and anxious to see how that plays out. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3

There's sure a lot of people who died at Deal Mart.  Maybe it's the dollar-fifty hot dogs?

Nancy seems to be very familiar with colloquial language for a basement ghost.  I guess they can hear everything down there.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

I love Hetty referring to the states west of Michigan as “exotic, far-off lands.”

If Pete’s going on a field trip to the store, maybe, uh, have the person who can actually see him go too? The Deal-Mart after dark is a pretty horrifying place. And imagine how much it would suck to have to carry around a TV for all eternity! Proud of Pete for navigating his way home, even after being chased by the R2-D2 from hell. 

Jay going to multiple Sonics in one day and then Hetty scolding him, “You are a chef, sir!” had me rolling. Also when Sass asked Isaac to describe a bus and he described a fire truck lmao.

I didn’t see the whole Thor and Nancy thing coming. He should’ve just been honest with Flower from the start because of course she would understand, but she absolutely wouldn’t like him hurting Nancy’s feelings. Alberta’s right; that thruple is going to be a train wreck. 

Aw, Pete is actually going to get to go on the vacation he never had and see his family. 

Edited by phalange
  • Like 18
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Pete and Jay going without Sam was not going to end well, for all the reasons Jay later stated.  And no one, living or dead, thought of this from the get-go?  I'm also wondering how Pete will find his family on St. Lucia.  Even if Sam was able to tell him the name of the resort they were staying at, how would he know how to get there?  

Those evil Deal Mart ghosts had their own slasher movie plot--with the addition of being able to re-dismember the same person every night.  That's a creepiness the show hasn't shown before.  And I was sorry for that poor female ghost who has to spend her ghosthood holding a big box. It makes an arrow sticking out of your neck not such a big deal after all.

Edited by PaulE
  • Like 10
  • Sad 2

Jay's so cute. He's alway act like he can see the ghosts by trying to face them when he speaks, trying to high five, etc. He just want to be part of the gang.

I'm happy Pete can see his daughter and grandson any time he wants now. 

What was the explanation for the scary store ghosts? I missed it because of my bad hearing. But the poor woman carrying that tv around.

• Like 12
2 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

What was the explanation for the scary store ghosts? I missed it because of my bad hearing. But the poor woman carrying that tv around.

The couple he first met (tv box woman and broken glasses guy) were trampled in a Black Friday sale. I didn’t quite catch the backstory on the scary gang though. If there was one. 

• Like 8

This episode was much lighter than last week thank goodness. I was impressed that none of the ghosts were jealous of Pete's ghost power. I think Sam suggested Jay take Pete shopping since they enjoy watching basketball together.  Nice call back to Jay having a big appetite. Thorfin should have been honest with Flower from the beginning.

• Like 8
(edited)

I'm thinking the Deal Mart wasn't always a Deal Mart so those ghosts were bound to the land, not the multiple businesses that probably were there before the big box store. Like Thor and Sass and Isaac, before the house was built. 

I think Pete could find his family if he knows the name of the resort. He could listen in to conversations til he found someone heading that way, especially if it's a resort. Or, there could be airport ghosts he could ask directions, if they were local. He's a scout and a travel agent, I think he'll do ok. 😉

I'm with Alberta, that thruple is gonna be a train wreck.

Oh! I KNEW Carol was hoeing around, I said it a few episodes ago. I'm too lazy to look for the post though. 🤷🏽‍♀️😁

Edited by Badsamaritan
  • Like 10
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 5

I do question that Pete had never heard of the guys on the street signs (Barack Obama and a sports person I’m drawing a blank on, sorry!) - surely during all their tv watching, someone would have opted for news, and sports. But I’ll give them a pass since it was otherwise a fun episode. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

I think Pete could find his family if he knows the name of the resort. He could listen in to conversations til he found someone heading that way, especially if it's a resort. Or, there could be airport ghosts he could ask directions, if they were local. He's a scout and a travel agent, I think he'll do ok. 😉

Maybe they looked up maps of the area online before he left. As a scout and travel agent, he probably has a decent memory for that sort of thing.

1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

a sports person I’m drawing a blank on

Eli Manning?

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I really really like this show but it made absolutely no sense for Pete to go into town with Jay .. 

I agree, but they probably assumed that Pete would stay by Jay's side. What could go wrong? 🤣

33 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I didn’t quite catch the backstory on the scary gang though. If there was one. 

I don't recall them saying what happened to them, just that they like to fight. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I agree, but they probably assumed that Pete would stay by Jay's side. What could go wrong? 🤣

I was surprised that Pete didn't stay closer to Jay and that he never took Laura on vacation when she was younger. He would have some great discounts as a travel agent.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, cdnalor said:

There's sure a lot of people who died at Deal Mart.  Maybe it's the dollar-fifty hot dogs?

I loved that the Black Friday TV holding ghost was played by the same actress who played Carol in Superstore.  A nice bit of stunt casting. 

• Like 12
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I absolutely cracked up at Isaac struggling to describe a bus

It was awesome. First, Hetty’s and Alberta’s faces when Sass challenged Isaac to describe a bus. And then Isaac’s face when Sass moved on to keep talking to Pete.

23 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe they looked up maps of the area online before he left. As a scout and travel agent, he probably has a decent memory for that sort of thing.

The thing about St. Lucia is that the airport is in the south of the island and the resorts are in the north. It’s an hour and a half drive between them.  When I asked why, our cab driver said “There’s just no room for an airport up there. Plus it’s good for taxi business” :). Pete is going to have to figure it out.

33 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

I'm thinking the Deal Mart wasn't always a Deal Mart so those ghosts were bound to the land, not the multiple businesses that probably were there before the big box store.

I figured Deal Mart is a warehouse club like Costco or BJ’s. They have a meat department, I can see (not sure that I want to) something happening to the butcher there.  Here’s a thought though - only a small fraction of those who die stay on a ghosts.  And we have two people who died on Black Friday is that particular store…

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
55 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I do question that Pete had never heard of the guys on the street signs (Barack Obama and a sports person I’m drawing a blank on, sorry!) - surely during all their tv watching, someone would have opted for news, and sports. But I’ll give them a pass since it was otherwise a fun episode. 

Don't worry, Eli, is not worth remembering.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 9

I could be wrong, but I thought one of the women in the ghost gang was wearing an old-fashioned dress, definitely pre-Deal Mart. Didn't really get a good look at their costumes (though I'm pretty sure the butcher was wearing a Deal Mart apron; maybe he liked to fight in real life, too, and lost that one).

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Badsamaritan said:

I'm thinking the Deal Mart wasn't always a Deal Mart so those ghosts were bound to the land, not the multiple businesses that probably were there before the big box store. Like Thor and Sass and Isaac, before the house was built. 

😁

Maybe it was a warehouse or a meat factory?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I really really like this show but it made absolutely no sense for Pete to go into town with Jay .. 

Sure it did.  It's a sit com.  You HAVE to get Pete lost and on his own or what is the point of the episode otherwise.  And since he was too scared to go alone to start with you have to have a chore you can take him on with his basketball / D&D buddy who can't see him.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I do question that Pete had never heard of the guys on the street signs (Barack Obama and a sports person I’m drawing a blank on, sorry!) -

Eli Manning, long time QB of the NY Giants and Peyton's younger brother.  There would be plenty of die hard Giants fan living in the Hudson Valley region.

Well at least Pete's wife has moved out to the shed where they can squirrel her away for tons of episodes out of site if she doesn't get sucked off any time soon.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shura said:

The thing about St. Lucia is that the airport is in the south of the island and the resorts are in the north. It’s an hour and a half drive between them.  When I asked why, our cab driver said “There’s just no room for an airport up there. Plus it’s good for taxi business” :). Pete is going to have to figure it out.

Would this have also been the case back when Pete was a travel agent? Would he know? 

1 hour ago, shura said:

I figured Deal Mart is a warehouse club like Costco or BJ’s. They have a meat department, I can see (not sure that I want to) something happening to the butcher there.  Here’s a thought though - only a small fraction of those who die stay on a ghosts.  And we have two people who died on Black Friday is that particular store…

52 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought one of the women in the ghost gang was wearing an old-fashioned dress, definitely pre-Deal Mart.

That Deal Mart seems like it has some very bad historical haunting mojo.👻👺😱

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Why doesn’t Pete have any restrictions on his power? 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought one of the women in the ghost gang was wearing an old-fashioned dress, definitely pre-Deal Mart. Didn't really get a good look at their costumes (though I'm pretty sure the butcher was wearing a Deal Mart apron; maybe he liked to fight in real life, too, and lost that one).

Yeah the butcher was wearing the store apron

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Why doesn’t Pete have any restrictions on his power? 

Maybe he does and we just haven't figured it out yet. There was an interview with the actor who plays Pete where he suggested that there will be some kind of limitations on this power. 

Someone over at TV Line suggested that maybe the farther away Pete travels, the more exhausted he becomes, and that can wind up being a limitation of sorts ofr him. Which is a theory I like :D. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Best line of the night, Hetty taking a shot at Jay by saying, "Man, you're a chef." The fact that he couldn't hear her just made it better.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They are bound to the land, just like some of our ghosts, who have been at Woodstone before the mansion was built.

• Like 5

Thor would have loved Deal Mart. It was basically a cut-rate Valhalla.

Good use of Carol without ever having Carol on the screen.

Since Pete was a scout 'master' and a travel 'agent', Shouldn't he be able to take someone with him when he travels?

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They're a modern looking bunch.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 10.06.22 PM.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I loved that the Black Friday TV holding ghost was played by the same actress who played Carol in Superstore.

How awful to be stuck walking around carrying a big screen TV! Next time I'm at the store and forget what I went in for, I'm going to think of the ghost from this episode!  

I'm not real thrilled about the throuple, but like Alberta, it's going to be a train wreck so hopefully it won't last long.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, PaulE said:

Pete and Jay going without Sam was not going to end well, for all the reasons Jay later stated.  And no one, living or dead, thought of this from the get-go?  I'm also wondering how Pete will find his family on St. Lucia.  Even if Sam was able to tell him the name of the resort they were staying at, how would he know how to get there?  

Travel Agent Pete would know about airport shuttles to resorts and he could probably find one going to the specific resort once he lands. Those airport transfers were probably a nice upgrade that he sold back in his day.

10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Pete probably would be caught up on Barack Obama but it was such a great line delivery that I don't even care.

10 hours ago, kav said:

Don't worry, Eli, is not worth remembering.

He kicked Tom Brady's ass, twice! I will never forget the joy I felt watching it. 

My big Pete fear is what if he goes to St. Lucia and is happy enough with his family that he gets sucked off. I know it won't happen because this is a TV show and that would be a terrible end for a character, but the ghosts don't know they live in a TV show. Pete could just never come back and they'd never, ever know what happened to him. A trip into town with Jay is a little risky. Going somewhere alone for an extended period of time just seems crazy to me. Unless Pete is comfortable with the idea that every time he leaves, he may never come back. But my anxiety about the whole thing is very high.

• Like 14
  • Hugs 1
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, Skooma said:

Sure it did.  It's a sit com.  You HAVE to get Pete lost and on his own or what is the point of the episode otherwise.  And since he was too scared to go alone to start with you have to have a chore you can take him on with his basketball / D&D buddy who can't see him.

And from a purely banal logistical reason, Rose is pregnant so she has to hide behind tables and computers.  My head canon is Sam doesn't leave the manor very often because she sees ghosts everywhere so Jay does all the shopping.

• Like 18
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Skooma said:

Eli Manning, long time QB of the NY Giants and Peyton's younger brother.  There would be plenty of die hard Giants fan living in the Hudson Valley region.

Well at least Pete's wife has moved out to the shed where they can squirrel her away for tons of episodes out of site if she doesn't get sucked off any time soon.

yes its a sitcom but a better writer would have found a way to make it work that made sense again sending someone out into the world that hasn't been for over 40 years was dumb without someone that could see him and speak to him to keep him ok

or at least explain why she didnt go with him...insted of  she just went  ok bye and it made no sense

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Would this have also been the case back when Pete was a travel agent? Would he know? 

Wikipedia says that airport has been operating since the 60s, he would probably know. He still needs to find a shuttle or a taxi with an empty seat somehow that is going to the right place, so there are some operational difficulties for him. He had a hard time navigating his own town, he can totally get lost in a different country that he only knows from brochures.

What was that (retro-looking) burrito-smelling robot, by the way?  I've never seen anything like that.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That Deal Mart seems like it has some very bad historical haunting mojo.👻👺😱

No kidding, really weird place. "Oh, right. The arrow. I was murdered by a little girl." - "Where? In Sporting Goods?"  Now there's an image!  And they said it like it's a reasonable possibility.

Nancy was crushing it. "Totally. I can't read, but same page."  "If you cut me, do I not bleed? I mean, no, none of us do, but you know what I mean."  "Cost Thor how? - You'll see. You'll see... (leaves, comes back) I actually need to go this way."  And the clincher at the end, "I also slept with Pete's widow carol. - Me too."

Flower is so sweet and understanding and compassionate. But I have to say, I agree with someone who said last week that they are not feeling the Flower-Thor romance.  They are just saying lines to each other, I am not seeing any chemistry there.  Maybe it's a conscious choice on the show's part?  I mean, we've seen Flower's doubts about Thor, now she brings Nancy into the relationship...

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, shura said:

Flower is so sweet and understanding and compassionate. But I have to say, I agree with someone who said last week that they are not feeling the Flower-Thor romance.  They are just saying lines to each other, I am not seeing any chemistry there.  Maybe it's a conscious choice on the show's part?  I mean, we've seen Flower's doubts about Thor, now she brings Nancy into the relationship...

I agree and thought that she was going to break up with Thor before he confessed to her.

• Like 3

So is Sam really going to be writing checks to cover all of Pete's traveling "expenses"?

Won't the airlines, hotels, buses, taxis, cruise lines, etc. wonder why this crazy woman keeps sending them money? (Maybe she'll just lie and tell Pete she sent the checks.)

• LOL 9
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, I LIKE this resolution to the whole awkward situation with Thor and Nancy and Flower. They've found their third! Also makes sense that Flower would both defend Nancy and be open to her being part of the relationship given we know she's on friendly terms with the cholera ghosts. 

And Nancy and Carol! And Carol hooking up with Baxter! Amazing. Just amazing :D. 

As for Pete, wow, he had quite a time of it his first night out in town. What the hell happens at that store that there's people with meat cleavers in their heads haunting it?! I LOVED the detail of the ghosts who died by being trampled to death on Black Friday, though, LOL. That's perfect. 

But of course he would make it back home with his scout training. And he's willing to go back out in the world again, to the point of going on a plane! Wow. That's a huge development for both him and the ghost lore/world in general, so I'll be really curious to see how they deal with that going forward in general. 

I absolutely cracked up at Isaac struggling to describe a bus, and the running thing of Jay just going to any Sonic in the area :p. And LOL at Sam's reaction upon finding out that Isaac and Nigel were planning to honeymoon in her and Jay's room XD. 

So torn about next week, 'cause on the one hand I'm so excited to see what hapepns in that episode, but on the other hand, last episode of the season :(. But yeah. Very, very curious and anxious to see how that plays out. 

I’m so sad it’s almost the end of the season already. Also another funny episode!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, NoReally said:

So is Sam really going to be writing checks to cover all of Pete's traveling "expenses"?

She'll tell Pete that she did and he's naive enough to believe her!  He's very trusting. 

Although the ghosts want Pete to travel and tell them about his adventures, this could backfire on him, and they could become resentful.  Some people can only handle so much good happening to someone else before they get jealous and resentful.  That sounds terrible, but sadly, that's the way some people are.  

• Like 8
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

I'm with Alberta, that thruple is gonna be a train wreck.

Oh! I KNEW Carol was hoeing around, I said it a few episodes ago. I'm too lazy to look for the post though. 🤷🏽‍♀️😁

I remember the post but couldn’t remember who said it .

11 hours ago, kav said:

I thought they all died in the same or several different Black Friday sales. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Skooma said:

100 percent!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, realitytvfan1017 said:

I thought they all died in the same or several different Black Friday sales. 

Yes.
At least for the most part.
And I'm guessing all the people who died during Black Friday Sales
(just go with it)
are still ghosts because they were obsessed with getting the reduced-priced, almost-out-of-stock, discontinued items, and they still are obsessed.
So they don't want any more ghosts to compete with.
They were just scaring Pete away with the ripping-you-apart trash talk.
They probably got the idea from slasher movies they've seen in the TV area of the store.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

I mostly enjoyed this episode, but it felt a little off. First of all, the scary big box store ghosts. This is the first time in three seasons we've actually seen scary ghosts. It was downright creepy and didn't feel at all in the spirit of the show (no pun intended). Even the basement ghosts are played for laughs. 

Second, I felt like we missed a huge part of Pete's story: how he found his way home. It seems like it would have been a long, long walk from wherever Jay took him back to Woodstone. I think the B-plot with Thor and Flower necessitated abbreviating Pete's story and they had to just sort of yada yada that part but it felt very anticlimactic. 

I don't know how long a maternity leave Sheila Carrasco took but she sure lost the baby weight quickly. That costume doesn't hide much.

14 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I thought it did. Jay was going into town anyway, why not take Pete along? They really like each other, as far as they are able to. I just don't think it occurred to anyone to warn Pete to stick close by Jay's side. And I loved Jay trying to explain things to his invisible friend while other store customers gave him the side eye.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Remember, before Sam and Jay moved in, they had never seen TV before. Biden was already president when they moved in. And I don't get the impression the ghosts watch a lot of news. They mostly seem obsessed with reality TV, LOL.

1 hour ago, shura said:

Flower is so sweet and understanding and compassionate. But I have to say, I agree with someone who said last week that they are not feeling the Flower-Thor romance.  They are just saying lines to each other, I am not seeing any chemistry there.

I think she's just too dippy/spacey to be believable in a romance subplot. Half the time she doesn't even know what's going on. Last week she didn't even remember who Pete was! She's kind of a one-joke character. I really didn't miss her while she was gone, frankly.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, kav said:

Ya, if Ghosts stay on the property, then those ghosts could have come from any time in the past, and that covers a lot of different zoning laws for buildings. I do wonder why they only come out at night.  

3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I agree with someone who said last week that they are not feeling the Flower-Thor romance. 

You know what I'm having trouble with is Isaac-Nigel. I think Isaac is having second thoughts. He has made offhand remarks a few times now that make me think he is not as committed to Nigel as Nigel is to him.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2
44 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think she's just too dippy/spacey to be believable in a romance subplot. Half the time she doesn't even know what's going on. Last week she didn't even remember who Pete was! She's kind of a one-joke character. I really didn't miss her while she was gone, frankly.

Totally agree. I figured that she would probably forget Thor's confession and the throuple idea by the end of the episode or by the next one.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1