Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E04: Those Who Wander Are Not Lost

• Start Topic

On 4/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Look, a cursive E.  It's the symbol for ohm.  WTF!!!!

That was driving me nuts! That is not what ohm looks like!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver-hyren said:

That was driving me nuts! That is not what ohm looks like!

Also the ridiculousness of thinking the race would use the symbol for ohm as a clue!  

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 2:26 AM, Netfoot said:

It's only within the last month or so that I learned what she looked like.

So, point taken. But there is much culture and history out there and when an entire generation knows none of it... Well, it's not a good sign for the country.

One person on TAR doesn’t know Elizabeth Taylor and now “an entire generation doesn’t know older culture!!” Why are young people supposed to know everything from when Boomers were young, but you not knowing current pop culture doesn’t also mean “omg the country is dooooooomed!”

Funny how you ignored that some of the younger people did the best on the rebus and map while the one who went home was one of the older teams.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 9
8 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

One person on TAR doesn’t know Elizabeth Taylor and now “an entire generation doesn’t know older culture!!”

Ya, don't watch this video:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

The striking thing about this episode was how much young Columbians had absorbed American pop culture.  It happens everywhere and probably TV, film and now things like Youtube reinforces their draw.

I wonder if the choice of getting into break dancing was deliberately about doing something retro or it's something that was just only discovered there relatively recently.

Even the graffiti artist who painted the puzzle they had to solve made it around an English phrase.

Is there a delay in American pop culture reaching a relatively poorer nation like Columbia?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, aghst said:

Even the graffiti artist who painted the puzzle they had to solve made it around an English phrase.

I'd bet the phrase was selected by TPTB.

• Like 2

Was it temporary graffiti or have they marked up one of their public spaces permanently with something done for a TV show?

4 hours ago, aghst said:

Was it temporary graffiti or have they marked up one of their public spaces permanently with something done for a TV show?

The murals were permanent.  The murals themselves didn't have anything to do with the rebus puzzle.  TAR put the rebus clues up on the murals, but those aren't permanent parts of the murals.

Colombia is known for their graffiti artists.  There are international graffiti competitions, you can take graffiti art tours in Medellin and Bogota. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 7

There is such a disparity between the top seven teams of this leg and the bottom two remaining teams that I wouldn't be surprised if Sunny & Bizzy and Kishori & Karishma are the next two teams to go, in either order.  They're easily the two weakest teams left, while Ricky & Cesar, Amber & Vinny, Angie & Danny, Rod & Leticia, Juan & Shane, Derek & Shelisa, and Yvonne & Melissa just seem so much better-suited for the race.

I've seen and heard of teams losing out on first place due incompetent cab drivers and tuk-tuk drivers, but as annoying as Amber & Vinny (especially Amber) were in this episode, it had to suck for them that they lost out on a win that they would've deserved all because of an incompetent local who couldn't check her phone for beans.

On 4/4/2024 at 5:35 PM, eel2178 said:

I have serious concerns about their problem solving skills on the job.

This. Plus an interesting factoid about firefighters for those who don't know. I can't speak for California, but in my part of the universe, when a brother (or sister) shows a weakness or does something dumb they're often subject to relentless taunting or even given lifetime nicknames. Tell someone you don't like lima beans? Guess what's going to be served with every meal. You can bet there will be Rebus puzzles all over their respective firehouses, taped to their bunks or turnout gear, etc. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
21 hours ago, Netfoot said:
21 hours ago, aghst said:

I'd bet the phrase was selected by TPTB.

On 4/4/2024 at 12:22 AM, Honeycocoa said:

I can’t figure out how to insert a photo!  I have a piece of a Starbucks cup with the quote

The way I see it #186

“The world is smaller than you think and the people are more beautiful.” - Bertram van Munster Emmy award winning executive producer/director

i don’t know how long it’s been stuck on my fridge, but it’s very cool to hear it as a detour. 

I did not know it was a quote by van Munster.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Rodney said:

They're easily the two weakest teams left, while Ricky & Cesar, Amber & Vinny, Angie & Danny, Rod & Leticia, Juan & Shane, Derek & Shelisa, and Yvonne & Melissa just seem so much better-suited for the race.

I would argue Angie is not long for this race. They got a lucky break this leg because Danny was able to breeze through both the puzzle detour and the roadblock, which was another sort of puzzle. 

I think Amber and Vinny might be in trouble too, she just doesn't seem to have the right attitude for the race.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 10:52 PM, Roccos Brother said:

Sorry, but I'm team Vinnie on this one. I know it's easy to judge from the comfort of home and we can never know what it's really like to be there -- but I really got the impression that it was less of an issue of Amber not being able to keep up, and more that she just didn't like feeling pressured into it; like the "racing" aspect was just a choice and not the obvious practical thing to do. They're both young and healthy-looking, running through crowded city streets, and only one of them was carrying any weight on his/her back.

Since they both would have had to agree to be on the show,  a show that's been airing for decades; I find it hard to believe that Amber didn't know they'd be running and wasn't willing to do it. They're one of the young, fit, couples, not cannon fodder; they must have some thoughts of trying to win it.  Vinnie doesn't strike me as the 'I'm just here for the experience' type.

If, in fact, she was having a meltdown because she didn't like being pressured to run faster; well, then Vinnie should've realized that and stopped.  It obviously wasn't working.  And, yeah, if I was running somewhere and my partner started shouting at me to go faster; it would likely have a detrimental effect on my running, too. 

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Question: Both Amber and Angie weren’t carrying packs, but so were one or two of the other women, and I think one was Leticia (?). And the men weren’t carrying two packs, just one. Did they decide to pack all their stuff in one bag? Have never seen this before. I’ve seen where a partner will pick up their partner’s pack to help if they were struggling, but don’t remember seeing only one pack per team. 
or….my memory is having brain cramps….

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bioprof said:

Question: Both Amber and Angie weren’t carrying packs, but so were one or two of the other women, and I think one was Leticia (?). And the men weren’t carrying two packs, just one. Did they decide to pack all their stuff in one bag? Have never seen this before.

It's funny because I'd just saw a thread on Reddit this morning about this very thing. Someone had tried to say it was against the rules when it obviously isn't. Some examples given of teams who have done this in the past were: Derek and Claire, Hung and Chee and maybe Cody and Jessica. Yes, they packed only one bag and they do it so they can go faster. So yes it's been done before.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Since they both would have had to agree to be on the show,  a show that's been airing for decades; I find it hard to believe that Amber didn't know they'd be running and wasn't willing to do it. They're one of the young, fit, couples, not cannon fodder; they must have some thoughts of trying to win it.  Vinnie doesn't strike me as the 'I'm just here for the experience' type.

If, in fact, she was having a meltdown because she didn't like being pressured to run faster; well, then Vinnie should've realized that and stopped.  It obviously wasn't working.  And, yeah, if I was running somewhere and my partner started shouting at me to go faster; it would likely have a detrimental effect on my running, too. 

I think they both have their issues. Instead of working well together and being supportive, they are coming apart at the seams. It is unpleasant to watch. I hope they either turn it around or make a quick exit

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bioprof said:

Question: Both Amber and Angie weren’t carrying packs, but so were one or two of the other women, and I think one was Leticia (?). And the men weren’t carrying two packs, just one. Did they decide to pack all their stuff in one bag? Have never seen this before. I’ve seen where a partner will pick up their partner’s pack to help if they were struggling, but don’t remember seeing only one pack per team. 
or….my memory is having brain cramps….

I'm more surprised that this wasn't done so much before. I'm willing to bet that once the other racers saw teams with only 1 bag between them, they reevaluated what they were carrying that they probably didn't need.  Plus, it is easier to keep track of 1 bag as opposed to 2 of them.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'm more surprised that this wasn't done so much before. I'm willing to bet that once the other racers saw teams with only 1 bag between them, they reevaluated what they were carrying that they probably didn't need. 

And then there was the 'social media' season where one contestant brought her hair dryer AND curling iron!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I don’t understand why Amber and Vinnie didn’t just chase Ricky and Cesar.  Clearly they had gotten directions, and the worst thing that would have happened is that they both would have missed the pitstop.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, bioprof said:

Did they decide to pack all their stuff in one bag?

I noticed packs in the first episode.  There was at least one team that packed in one bag, and that was still pretty small.  Overall, there are a lot of small packs this season.  Strangely, some of the largest packs belong to the pilots and the twins, both male teams. 

I think the ideal would be to have two packs, as small as you can get them, but they can easily attach or be combined into one.  That way, if one racer is exhausted, the other can easily carry both packs. 

• Like 3
On 4/6/2024 at 12:15 PM, Cotypubby said:

One person on TAR doesn’t know Elizabeth Taylor and now “an entire generation doesn’t know older culture!!” Why are young people supposed to know everything from when Boomers were young, but you not knowing current pop culture doesn’t also mean “omg the country is dooooooomed!”

(1) History is important, even entertainment history because it plays into the culture aspect and helps bind a country together.

(2) Boomers knew about past generation entertainers.  Bing Crosby.  Charlie Chapman.  Clark Gable.  Etc etc.  And they didn't have the internet to help them.

On 4/6/2024 at 1:21 PM, aghst said:

Is there a delay in American pop culture reaching a relatively poorer nation like Columbia?

I've been to Colombia twice.  I don't think it is relatively poorer.  They have barrios, we have inner cities.  They have a strong middle class, we do too.

• Like 3
(edited)

Would like to echo others - I really thought this was a fun episode - the best in a while. 

Between the fire fighters botching the rebus and the jump roping at the end it was very entertaining. 

Also getting passive aggressive vibes from <Vinnie> but overall  I don't mind them too much - felt bad that they lost out a first place due to bad luck and hope they can get it together. 

Am really rooting for Danny and Angie but ja they are unlikely to stay close to the top for very long. They have a great spirit though.

Edited by Wonderlad71
3 hours ago, Wonderlad71 said:

Also getting passive aggressive vibes from Danny but overall  I don't mind them too much - felt bad that they lost out a first place due to bad luck and hope they can get it together. 

Do you mean Vinnie?

(edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 12:56 AM, Skooma said:

(1) History is important, even entertainment history because it plays into the culture aspect and helps bind a country together.

(2) Boomers knew about past generation entertainers.  Bing Crosby.  Charlie Chapman.  Clark Gable.  Etc etc.  And they didn't have the internet to help them.

I agree that History is very important. However, the thing about history that it's being made everyday and all over the world. It's an ever expanding field, especially in entertainment. I doubt anyone would judge a Boomer for not being familiar with many musicians and actors from the early 1900s and back. 

I'm wondering if the Firefighters were at home slapping their foreheads realizing that they were one word away from solving that Detour.

Michelle and Sean weren't the strongest team, but I liked them and hoped that they would've made it though a few more episodes. At least they had a memorable exit.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Like 2

Wish I knew how they got to a misquote of Aragorn's poem in LotR, they were just pulling out half knowledge of anything they've ever heard. I think.

(edited)
15 hours ago, InDueTime said:

I agree that History is very important. However, the thing about history that it's being made everyday and all over the world. It's an ever expanding field, especially in entertainment. I doubt anyone would judge a Boomer for not being familiar with many musicians and actors from the early 1900s and back.

Performers from the early 1900's didn't have their performances captured on film to be seen by later generations.  And Elizabeth Taylor wasn't some unknown B Reel actress or minor league "personality."   It's like not knowing who John Wayne is.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 1

I'm just gonna jump in to defend the boys not knowing Elizabeth Taylor - this is a generation that has had entertainment from tv, computers, ipads and phones their entire lives and it is all customizable to whatever content you desire whenever you want. And Liz Taylor is not someone those twins would be seeking out. This is not an era where the fam gathers around the family tv and mom and dad select the show or movie and it might be an oldie from their generation. I have two Gen Z kids and I am not sure they would know who that is since she wouldn't have even been in anything a kid or young adult would watch (like say Judy Garland and Wizard of Oz). Elizabeth Taylor was in her heyday almost 75 years ago.

Regarding the firefighters and the puzzle, I did laugh, but I have never even heard of a Rebus puzzle, so if you don't know what that is, I can totally see being confounded by it, even though some of those guesses were hilarious and clearly had nothing to do with what they were looking at!

Absolutely loving Mom and Son - I cannot get over how kind and patient he is with her, especially contrasted with daughter and dad from last season!

Obviously the best moments of this episode was the escalator dog and phil jumping rope - the final still was priceless!

• Like 3

OK, now I know who Vinnie and Amber are. Shame we had to spend so much time with them this episode... Their bickering is not fun. 

I thought the rebus puzzle was painfully easy aside from some possible variations (earth/world, think/imagine, etc.) but that was pretty easily solved by just being able to repeat it over and over unless another team was there. And then I saw the firefighters. GOOD LORD.

The breakdancing was fun. The judge seemed very chill and the dancers were so encouraging. It did give me the vibe of a routine for a workout class. They've been much harsher on other dance challenges.

This was not a great episode for women having spatial awareness. Matching statues to a map was an unexpectedly painful task to watch.

I'm glad double dutch had their moment with Phil before being eliminated. 

That's a lot of hats on that greeter.

Imagine if in the finale they have to remember how many hats he was wearing

The incessant pop-up ads for Elsbeth are annoyingly intrusive.

I honestly cannot stand that woman.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should start watching Elsbeth 🤣

as annoying as Amber & Vinny (especially Amber) were in this episode, it had to suck for them that they lost out on a win that they would've deserved all because of an incompetent local who couldn't check her phone for beans.

I think they were hurt by the over-reliance on phones. They could have asked anyone else given the pit stop was supposed to be 2 minutes away OR just run with Ricky and Cesar.

As someone who does know a fair amount about history and classic film, knowing who Elizabeth Taylor is wouldn't have helped them anyway. They just had to find someone to point them to the landmark.