Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E23: Second Time's the Charm?

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

This topic is under Yellow Light Status.

Culture Check: How can we express likes and dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity? How can we disagree and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid?

• Start Topic

This is the description from Lifetime:

Most of our couples continue to navigate life after Decision Day; and as they build a path forward, they face one more decision, to either build a new life with their exes, or without them. And on our final Decision Day, will the foundation they’ve built allow their marriage to soar, or will the weight of uncertainty bring it all crashing down?

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

Make it stop!!!! Except for Orion, NONE of the men want anything to do with their exes, so that will be an easy decision. (Well, except for Becca, who is still waffling about how she shouldn't have kicked her lying husband out.) And, could they get any more dramatic about the Michael/Chloe debacle? We already know that Chloe will turn on the fake tears and dab at her face. Maybe she will try to compromise by taking fewer foster children, although then there will be less help with the animals.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

Why would they want to continue a relationship with their exes? They need to move on and meet new people. I guess they want to keep the show going. Didn’t decision day used to signal the ending of the season?  I thought they just did a reunion and a where are they now. I don’t remember episodes of more going back and forth after d day.

• Like 8

This is the first time they have had to extend the pain show past D Day, and that is because of the late arrival of Michael and Chloe. I don't understand why they couldn't just tape their D Day and show it in one session. They have finished filming long before this, so they are just extending it because they can. And, according to the schedule, this stupid thing will have the expected 2-part Reunion, which I don't understand, because they are still together all the time. And, then the Where are they Now show, which, I hope, shows that they have all moved on. I think there is probably another panel show of the season in review, too.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

And, according to the schedule, this stupid thing will have the expected 2-part Reunion, which I don't understand, because they are still together all the time.

Right? How can we miss them if they won't go away?

It irritates me; the fiction they perpetuate that this is all happening in real time. They could have just included Michael and Chloe in the D-Day episode instead of more boring filler. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
(edited)

What is the feckin' point of tonight's  episode? Get these feckless men off my phone!

Why can Becca not acknowledge that she is completely unattractive to Austin? It isn't  "this" and it isn't "that"; IT'S JUST YOU AND YOUR STUPID PINK HAIR. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
18 minutes ago, VioletNevermind said:

Whew, I am completely done with Orion.  Goodbye, sir. 

Yes, and it’s Girls against the Boys night again.  What’s with the racy pictures?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I never believed the Chloe and Michael pairing.  Nope.

35 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

What is the feckin' point of tonight's  episode? Get these feckless men off my phone!

Why can Becca not acknowledge that she is completely unattractive to Austin? It isn't  "this" and it isn't "that"; IT'S JUST YOU AND YOUR STUPID PINK HAIR. 

YES, and Austin with that stupid hat.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I feel like Michael is trying to let her down easy.  Even if he decides to stay married tonight, I don’t think this will last.  I don’t even blame him either.  Chloe is a lot and there’s no way I could withstand it. 

• Like 6

Damn.  Pastor Cal looked like he wanted to grab Michael up out of that chair by the seat of his dress shorts and take him to the parking lot.  (Still, you dodged a bullet there, Michael.  Good choice.)

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
6 minutes ago, VioletNevermind said:

I feel like Michael is trying to let her down easy.  Even if he decides to stay married tonight, I don’t think this will last.  I don’t even blame him either.  Chloe is a lot and there’s no way I could withstand it. 

But Michael's a lot, too, and Chloe dealt with his brand of funkytown a hell of a lot more gracefully than most people.  I miss the early days when Michael threw on a skirt and fluffed up his big cluster of grapes hairdo and Chloe would just gulp and saddle up and out the door they'd go.

To me, the whole thing spun out of control when Chloe revealed her farm animal sanctuary plan, powered by five foster kids "at a time."

And she wasn't talking some pie in the sky retirement dream, either.  She professed to like the big backyard in that house they fake-toured because the backyard was big enough for goats and sheep and little lambs eat ivy.

Who could ever wrap his mind around a thing like that except someone else who had dreamed a similar rescuer/caregiver dream his whole life?  I like Michael well enough, but his immediate goal is a closet big enough for his sneaker collection.

Back to the drawing board, "Experts."  What system are you guys using to match these couples, rolling dice or tossing darts?

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

The producers showed a clip of the upcoming reunion episodes and it appears Clare was already in a relationship and appeared on the show anyway.

Edited by APK
  • Mind Blown 9
  • Sad 1
(edited)

So  0 for 5, the Reunion Show/Evening Gown Competition will be two parts and did we get a version of the "swim suit competition" with those so called "lingerie" photos??  There are no words.

Oh don't forget, next week is still more filler!!

Why do we need 99 episodes for this season??

Edited by Rightside
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

Denver, Nashville, Houston and San Diego are the seasons I have watched. What city should be the next location for the show? I will cast my vote for Tampa, Florida.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, VioletNevermind said:

Whew, I am completely done with Orion.  Goodbye, sir. 

I couldn’t stand him and that was the least sincere apology in the history of insincerity…

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Did this show change Producers or whoever plans this show?  For the past two years, it’s been horrible .. not like it used to be.  O for 5.  It’s a little ridiculous.  There had to be a change somewhere.

• Like 7

During the first few episodes, Orion admitted he was still living at home with his mother and sister. I realize economics are tough these days, but find a way to cut the apron strings dude. 

• Like 7
(edited)

That was just weird.  I’m embarrassed on their behalf. 

I've been giving that scene some thought and... I'm going to say it.

I'm proud of them. 

I could not do what they did. I could not have pictures taken in lingerie at all, much less have them taken knowing they would be seen on television and ripped to shreds on the internet. 

Our society judges women's bodies so harshly. Hell - our society judges everyone's physical appearance harshly. I hate it. I see how it hurts people; literally contributes to physical and mental health issues for literally millions of people. And still, despite constant work, I can't look in a mirror and see anything but flaws. I would not have those photos taken because I would not like what I see, even though I should. Not because I'm some drop dead gorgeous person but because I have a healthy body that carries me through this life. 

So I'm gonna go with... yay women. Y'all put yourself out there and every one of you was and is gorgeous. 

But Michael's a lot, too, and Chloe dealt with his brand of funkytown a hell of a lot more gracefully than most people.  I miss the early days when Michael threw on a skirt and fluffed up his big cluster of grapes hairdo and Chloe would just gulp and saddle up and out the door they'd go.

I think that Michael is unconventional on the outside and pretty conventional as a person. Chloe is pretty conventional in her look but on the inside, she is out there. 

I do think that Chloe is pretty and generally I liked her style (but Jesus God, if she says "kiddo" one more time I will strangle her through my television screen). I think she looked beautiful on decision day. But these two were mismatched from the start. I still think that Michael and Lauren are a missed opportunity, but at this point, I think this entire cast should just go their separate ways.

it’s Girls against the Boys night again

Ugh. I hated that. HATED IT. I get that it's probably easier to put everyone in the same building and film a lot of group events, but I think the group dynamic really hurts any prospect there might be for the marriages to grow. I think all the matches were crap this season and didn't really have a chance anyway, but then you throw in the group think and, well...

Did this show change Producers or whoever plans this show?  For the past two years, it’s been horrible .. not like it used to be.  O for 5.  It’s a little ridiculous.  There had to be a change somewhere.

I didn't watch the earlier seasons and I don't know anything about producers, etc. but I think the last season I watched where the couples lived separately was Philadelphia? I really do think having them all in the same building and constantly interacting in gender groups is problematic. 

Oh - also - this season we really had no discussion at all about the couple's finances (except the tiny bit about Michael and Chloe's rent). I don't know if the early seasons has more practical discussions but I do want to hear them talk about how they envision blending their finances (or not); what their priorities are financially; where they want to live; just all the pragmatics of how you blend two individual lives into one family life. I want way more of that.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

The earlier seasons did have more talking about finances!

As for potential locales, I'd like a return to DC (actual DC, maybe some MD not just NoVa.)

• Like 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, PupCal said:

The earlier seasons did have more talking about finances!

As for potential locales, I'd like a return to DC (actual DC, maybe some MD not just NoVa.)

I'm all for DC. Have they done Seattle or Portland? Maybe Boston or Philly again? Weirdly, I keep thinking Madison, Wisconsin. Beautiful in the summer; big college town so potentially a lot of marriage age professionals who stick around town after graduation and are building careers there? Also, Salt Lake City? Maybe?

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Though I always felt Chloe was too out there and she probably is, honestly I think  I'm glad she didn't have the opportunity to stay with Michael.  He just overthinks and analyzes everything and he's exhausting to listen to.  He is not marriage ready at all and they were probably not suited at all.  She wear's her heart on her sleeve and is very vulnerable and he might talk like he gets her but I'm not sure he's capable of connecting on an emotional level.  

2 hours ago, Rightside said:

So  0 for 5, the Reunion Show/Evening Gown Competition will be two parts and did we get a version of the "swim suit competition" with those so called "lingerie" photos??  There are no words.

Oh don't forget, next week is still more filler!!

Why do we 99 episodes for this season??

Maybe they can do an episode of Fashions by Michael.  

Exhausting, I can't even stay focused on their conversations.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I could not do what they did. I could not have pictures taken in lingerie at all, much less have them taken knowing they would be seen on television and ripped to shreds on the internet. 

I have plans to have a boudoir photo shoot done, but I’d never do it on TV and I won’t consent to the photographer even using them on her site or social media. I did kind of chuckle when Emily was taking pictures of Becca - Becca is a professional, Emily is not, and it showed. I also didn’t realize you could show thonged asses on Lifetime.

I’m on the record as being supportive of Michael’s style but those shorts were very unserious.

9 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think the last season I watched where the couples lived separately was Philadelphia? I really do think having them all in the same building and constantly interacting in gender groups is problematic. 

Agree, for a few reasons. For one, it makes the marriages feel much lower stakes. The couples used to have to find and pay for their housing if they weren’t going to move into one or the other’s place, so they had no choice but to talk money. Also commute - I like your place but it’s really far from work, etc. When they just move into a place the show provides, it feels less real. The show inched toward that at first by giving the couples a lump sum so we’d see discussions about what to do with it. Without these discussions, the marriages feel much lower-stakes.

I also think the hive mind of Becca, Emily and Clare is pretty destructive because they’ve convinced themselves that their exes were villains, when a) they had hands in the demises of their marriages, and b) at the root of it, the men just weren’t that into them. It happens every day. I once ended things with someone and my friend asked why, and I paused and said “I just didn’t like him that much.” I didn’t say that to him when I ended it, but it was the root of it. It’s very, very often the root of it when something this short ends - as they got to know each other, someone realized they weren’t into it. Brennan can’t stand Emily. Austin’s whatever with the producer is inappropriate but he also clearly wasn’t attracted to Becca. That doesn’t make them villains; it make the couples incompatible. I don’t think the way Clare, Emily and Becca are spinning things is helpful for them in the long run.

I love DGAF Lauren. When she was telling Orion about himself, I was here for it.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, APK said:

Denver, Nashville, Houston and San Diego are the seasons I have watched. What city should be the next location for the show? I will cast my vote for Tampa, Florida.

They are going back to Chicago. Won't be happening in Tampa!

"Married At First Sight season 18 will take place in Chicago and feature new pairs from the city. The upcoming season could premiere as early as April 2024 or as late as July 2024. The cast for season 18 has not been confirmed, but previous seasons featuring Chicago couples had low success rates."

Edited by Rightside
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I have plans to have a boudoir photo shoot done, but I’d never do it on TV and I won’t consent to the photographer even using them on her site or social media. I did kind of chuckle when Emily was taking pictures of Becca - Becca is a professional, Emily is not, and it showed. I also didn’t realize you could show thonged asses on Lifetime.

I’m on the record as being supportive of Michael’s style but those shorts were very unserious.

Agree, for a few reasons. For one, it makes the marriages feel much lower stakes. The couples used to have to find and pay for their housing if they weren’t going to move into one or the other’s place, so they had no choice but to talk money. Also commute - I like your place but it’s really far from work, etc. When they just move into a place the show provides, it feels less real. The show inched toward that at first by giving the couples a lump sum so we’d see discussions about what to do with it. Without these discussions, the marriages feel much lower-stakes.

I also think the hive mind of Becca, Emily and Clare is pretty destructive because they’ve convinced themselves that their exes were villains, when a) they had hands in the demises of their marriages, and b) at the root of it, the men just weren’t that into them. It happens every day. I once ended things with someone and my friend asked why, and I paused and said “I just didn’t like him that much.” I didn’t say that to him when I ended it, but it was the root of it. It’s very, very often the root of it when something this short ends - as they got to know each other, someone realized they weren’t into it. Brennan can’t stand Emily. Austin’s whatever with the producer is inappropriate but he also clearly wasn’t attracted to Becca. That doesn’t make them villains; it make the couples incompatible. I don’t think the way Clare, Emily and Becca are spinning things is helpful for them in the long run.

I love DGAF Lauren. When she was telling Orion about himself, I was here for it.

yeah, not sure the mean girls club attitude will get these women where they want to go

don't think it will make them more attractive to potential mates

and, yeah, becca's photography was lovely (though i don't know why we needed to see any of this) and whoever decided that outfit on becca would make for a sensually pleasing photo was very wrong

• Like 7

How could they expect viewers to come back after this tabacle?  More of the same?  So many viewers have bailed.  It’s too drawn out with an unhappy ending lately.  Most of hem have come on for exposure, I believe.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I also didn’t realize you could show thonged asses on Lifetime.

I didn't either.   They didn't need to get that nekkid to look sexy. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

The best thing for Lauren to do is stop talking to Orion, instead of constantly bringing up stuff with him.  It's over.  Let it go. 

I think Production tells them what to say and do now as there’s nothing going on.  Except scanty dressed women.  A new low.

• Like 3
(edited)

I fell asleep during both times the show was on, but I don't think I will watch the rest. Was there anything good in the Afterparty?

I realized what I don't like about Michael and Chloe - it looks to me like she is his mother. She looks much older than he is, although I know that is not the case. I may try finding their segment and watch how he rejects her - I did see her say she wanted to see what there could be, so they should stay married. 

And the show continues to torment Becca by "forcing" them all to keep getting together, when she still wants to be with Austin. I think her rationale that, "she is not the right person for him and he should be able to find someone to make him happy" is totally screwed up. She is taking the blame for not being what HE wants, when she can't bring herself to actually say, even now, that HE is not what she wants and that SHE deserves to be happy. She still wants his lying ass because he is so hot. Becca needs a lot of post-show counseling (NOT from Clarapist) to find some little tidbit of her self-esteem.

I also do not ever want to see Lauren or Orion again. Ever. This show had way too much of them and there is no reason for that. Lauren is also over-the-top with her trendy language and just needs to go away. That will "protect" her from "feeling attacked" again. She is as much to blame in keeping Orion engaged as he is in trying to respond to a text that needed no response. She is over him - he needs to get that in his stupid head and leave her alone. None of the guys seem to like him particularly, either. He was a horrible person to have cast.

I may have to watch the Reunion to see that scoop about Clarapist being involved with someone and choosing to do the show anyway. Nice vetting, show. There were also rumors about Austin being in that same situation.

So, next week a filler panel of past participants AGAIN. No thanks. See you in a couple weeks. Let's see how many of us are still around!

ETA- I am now fully onboard with the "Emily's accident was a big fake out." since there was no scar, or even a tiny red mark where all those stitches supposedly were on her face/forehead.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

The best thing for Lauren to do is stop talking to Orion, instead of constantly bringing up stuff with him.  It's over.  Let it go. 

She told him she no longer wanted them in each other’s lives. I think last night was producer-contrived, although they weren’t all there so either of them could have opted out, but if Lauren gets along with the rest of them, why should she stay away?

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I fell asleep during both times the show was on, but I don't think I will watch the rest. Was there anything good in the Afterparty?

Emily was asked if she really cheated on Brennan and she denied it and said the Australian kissed her lol. I'm no fan of Brennan, but it's interesting how Emily always claims he's the one trying to control the narrative for them. Becca already spilled that it was a makeout, but of course Emily denies it since it goes against the victim narrative she's created for herself. I guess to her credit she didn't lash out at Keisha this time for pressing her for information like she's done on previous episodes.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I realized what I don't like about Michael and Chloe - it looks to me like she is his mother. She looks much older than he is, although I know that is not the case. I may try finding their segment and watch how he rejects her - I did see her say she wanted to see what there could be, so they should stay married. 

And the show continues to torment Becca by "forcing" them all to keep getting together, when she still wants to be with Austin. I think her rationale that, "she is not the right person for him and he should be able to find someone to make him happy" is totally screwed up. She is taking the blame for not being what HE wants, when she can't bring herself to actually say, even now, that HE is not what she wants and that SHE deserves to be happy. She still wants his lying ass because he is so hot. Becca needs a lot of post-show counseling (NOT from Clarapist) to find some little tidbit of her self-esteem.

I also do not ever want to see Lauren or Orion again. Ever. This show had way too much of them and there is no reason for that. Lauren is also over-the-top with her trendy language and just needs to go away. That will "protect" her from "feeling attacked" again. She is as much to blame in keeping Orion engaged as he is in trying to respond to a text that needed no response. She is over him - he needs to get that in his stupid head and leave her alone. None of the guys seem to like him particularly, either. He was a horrible person to have cast.

I may have to watch the Reunion to see that scoop about Clarapist being involved with someone and choosing to do the show anyway. Nice vetting, show. There were also rumors about Austin being in that same situation.

So, next week a filler panel of past participants AGAIN. No thanks. See you in a couple weeks. Let's see how many of us are still around!

The After Party was rough, so was Emily to Keisha interjecting when Keisha was speaking.  Emily was acting like a wiseass.  I can see why Brennon doesn’t like her.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Thanks @atomic. Having seen another video that showed Emily's IG posts where she said that she was very open about the hookup and didn't deny it, the show chose not to show that. It just goes to show how little of this show was based in any kind of truth.

• Like 4

The more I see of Emily the more I dislike her.  On the Afterparty, she really tried to deflect when Keisha asked if Emily cheated on Brennan.  In the plethora of evasive statements she made, Emily said that she didn't consider it cheating.  So, I was, 'yes, she did cheat...'  Agree with an above poster that the women have turned this season into an us versus them season and have claimed the victim narrative.  They act all hurt and can't understand why their 'spouses' aren't showing up to the group events.  Why would they?  A lost of the criticism revolves around the idea that the men didn't try as hard as the women, but the reality is that the men did not act/respond how the women wanted them to and that is a whole different issue. And Emily is showing herself as very negative in her comments, not the 'most positive person' persona.

I'm not on anybody's side but I don't like the 'ganing up' mentality nor the victim narrative.

I don't know what self-image Orion has, but it doesn't match his words and actions.  

• Like 13
(edited)

The group get together.
What the hell is Michael wearing? The sweater looks ridiculous. Chloe shouldn’t have walked right next to him, he’s embarrassing
Becca needs to stop crying and get herself together. 
Yes Lauren, gather that fucker up! Orion, nobody cares about your self reflection. You called your wife a racist. You are a punk and a wimpy ass flakey fuck. And on the homely side too.  
Emily downing the drinks as usual. 

Becca is on her couch AGAIN a crying. For the love of love, get off your ass and do something! Maybe if she hadn’t cried again and again and been so anxiety ridden  he might have enjoyed getting to know her. 

The ladies picking themselves apart was sad. I have admit though, Becca looked awful in that lingerie There is more flattering lingerie for ladies with odd figures. She probably scared Austin.

Chloe rented the getaway? That’s pathetic that she paid for that. Michael is not worth it and a gentleman pays for a lady. It’s fine for a lady to pay after they have been together for awhile but not in the early stages.

Oh my gosh all the blabbing before the decision was torture. I wanted both of them to shut up. 
Poor Chloe! That fucker just wanted to be on a tv show to showcase his weird eccentric ways. He won’t be an actor, he has no good qualities for tv.

Edited by Chatty Cake
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

They act all hurt and can't understand why their 'spouses' aren't showing up to the group events.

It was truly insane how Emily was so bothered that Cameron didn't show up for her Clare...at an event where Clare wasn't even there herself. 🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

She told him she no longer wanted them in each other’s lives. I think last night was producer-contrived, although they weren’t all there so either of them could have opted out, but if Lauren gets along with the rest of them, why should she stay away?

I didn't say she should stay away.  I don't remember if she or Orion started the conversation, but I'm just saying that she could have cut it short and said something like, "I think we've said enough, Orion.  Let's just enjoy being with the rest of the group."  The more she yapped, the more he yapped, and vice versa and it was annoying as hell.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

A lost of the criticism revolves around the idea that the men didn't try as hard as the women, but the reality is that the men did not act/respond how the women wanted them to and that is a whole different issue.

Totally agree. “They haven’t texted us at all!” To say what? Y’all broke up! They don’t like you! Y’all aren’t friends!

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

It was truly insane how Emily was so bothered that Cameron didn't show up for her Clare...at an event where Clare wasn't even there herself. 🤣

Emily was like “who gets therapy at night?” and I thought “… people who work during the day.”

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
17 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I've been giving that scene some thought and... I'm going to say it.

I'm proud of them. 

I have not seen this episode yet, but I agree with you.  I think it is a good thing when people feel confident about their bodies. If they want to take lingerie pics, I'm all for it.  I mean, if you are 400 lbs, gstrings are probably not your look, but everybody should get to look good in lingerie, no matter what the body type. I do think they should realize what looks good or bad on their bodies- both the men and the woman. 

Becca didnt look good this season, just because she didnt put anything into it, like she did on Keisha's show. Mindy wasnt overweight, but she wore non-flattering attire. Gina dressed like weird towards the beginning of the season, but that might have been because she lost her real clothes.  Michael, the liar from the other season, dressed like total shit- like wife-beaters.  Cameron dressed dorky instead of sharp.  This season's Michael is in his own category.  But at least he put some thought into it, even if everything clashes.  Id hire a stylist and have every outfit picked out before I went on this show. If posing in lingerie makes them happy, I am all for it. 

• Like 2

I tuned in a little while ago and had to shut it off after about 5 minutes. I just couldn’t take it. And I don’t give a shit about any one them, so there’s that. The four couples broke up. And Chloe and Michael can over talk and over think their decisions till the end of time. I’m out.

• Like 5
(edited)

Why are they having all of the washed-up couples of yesteryears come back for a reunion next week?! I didn't give a shit about them then and I certainly don't give a shit about them now! 😅💯

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 7
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I did kind of chuckle when Emily was taking pictures of Becca - Becca is a professional, Emily is not, and it showed.

What kind of camera was Emily using?  They looked like Polaroids, and not the hip kind of Polaroids.  They looked cheap, fuzzy, and randomly framed.  I felt dirty just looking at them.

I also think the hive mind of Becca, Emily and Clare is pretty destructive because they’ve convinced themselves that their exes were villains, when a) they had hands in the demises of their marriages, and b) at the root of it, the men just weren’t that into them. It happens every day.

But...but...but...they were being silenced

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2