Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E01: You Can’t Drive While You’re Crying

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

As long as we're talking about sibling teams - those twins are not identical.

An egg can split anywhere from Day 1 to Day 14 after conception. The earlier the egg splits, the less the twins will look alike; however, if they came from the same egg and shared a placenta, they are identical twins.

• Like 7
  • Useful 9
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Not only did they not consider just backing up, once they finally got the car turned around and headed back up the street, there was a truck parked blocking the exit.  And they didn't buy a map.

Maybe it's just as well that they were eliminated.

Really didn't like this episode, maybe I'm over TAR.  Only bright spot was the little boy handing out clues at the end of the rocking horse task.  

I thought the same!

• Like 3
On 3/14/2024 at 8:43 AM, TheRabbi said:

I thought this was a really fun premiere and I was laughing throughout. The siblings were comically toast from the beginning, but that Austin Powers moment was an all time classic. Lots of other fun moments throughout. Hopefully a sign of a good season to come. 

Omg I can't believe I had to read to the third page before someone referenced Austin Powers! My husband and I were howling because this was that scene in real life! I cannot believe they attempted that on such a narrow street! 🤣

I was excited to watch this because I am heading to PV in a week, and this just got me pumped for my vacation! I've seen those spinning pole guys on The Malecon before and it is pretty incredible up close.

Too many teams to keep track of at this point, but nobody too obnoxious yet. I do miss Rob and Corey though!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Not only did they not consider just backing up, once they finally got the car turned around and headed back up the street, there was a truck parked blocking the exit.  And they didn't buy a map.

Maybe it's just as well that they were eliminated.

Really didn't like this episode, maybe I'm over TAR.  Only bright spot was the little boy handing out clues at the end of the rocking horse task.  

That kid was a total boss, wasn’t he?  This reminds me - someone upthread was wondering whether it would be easier to transport those horses uphill or downhill, and then uphill got one vote.  I think going downhill should be easier - you only need to use enough force to slow down what the gravity is doing on its own. But when you drag it uphill, you not only need to cancel out gravity, but also provide even more force to move the horse in the opposite direction.

As far as maps, I laughed when one team asked someone to show them where a certain plaza was, and the lady said “the plaza is there” and circled about half of the map with her finger.

I liked Maya’s bucket hat, it said “ fierce competitor”.  And Rohan did look like a naive George Santos.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

My DVR went to black for several minutes and I missed out on the siblings' final attempts at turning their car around. Were they finally successful, or did someone have to come bail them out?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, anniebird said:

I thought that was the older couple, the retired police officers, who were the Bickersons.

Thank you, I think you're right.  Too early for me to tell people apart, and I probably guessed to a certain extent. 

Hey, maybe we'll never see any more Bickersons of any type for the rest of the season.  But somehow I doubt it.

Best place to start is at the ending. I couldn't figure out why the show was playing somber music when Maya and Rohan were approaching and then when he was eliminating them I was waiting for him to reveal he was just punking them....and then he didn't! I have no memory of anyone ever being eliminated on an Uber Leg. Is this new?

Self-navigation appears to foretell the doom of Team Nurse. Some of her detached reactions were strange...especially "that's weird" the realization they were on the opposite side of town, the proper reaction should be "that's terrifying".

Random bits:

That was really, really stupid not letting the Team Topgun waste time discovering there were no more horses. In another reality that might have cost them the race.

Derek and his wife are labeled as "Grandparents," but seem anything but.

I got to root for Team K & K just because of the tragic backstory of one of the cousins.

LOL, did anyone expect an ex-NFL player to have anything other than a bombshell as a girlfriend? That orange body suit might come to rival the red booty shorts some woman was running around in a couple races back.

Firefighters barely registered at all-same with the Girlfriends.

Anytime someone screws up  by not reading the clue is always fun.

I want to like the mother and son team but I don't want this kid to be neurotic on every leg of the race.

Loved the drone shots of the city skyline. Looks beautiful.

Lastly it was jarring when we came back from commercial and the Siblings were suddenly free of the trap they had put themselves in with the car. I had to rewind to see if I missed something but I didn't. It got cut off somehow. Anyway..dont' they know the big R on the stickshift is for reverse?

Good premier over all.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, meep.meep said:

They’re trying hard to be, but it’s not working. 

4 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Lastly it was jarring when we came back from commercial and the Siblings were suddenly free of the trap they had put themselves in with the car. I had to rewind to see if I missed something but I didn't. It got cut off somehow.

I know, they had 30 extra minutes (less commercials) to fill and they couldn't have given us more of that 357,691 point turn?  

We only got a quick glimpse of it, but Phil mentioned that there was a lot of art along the beach.  I would have liked to see a task involving that.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 3/13/2024 at 6:00 PM, chitowngirl said:

Teams participate in a Mexican rodeo in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; racers go paragliding in Colombia and rally car racing in Argentina.

From the first post in this thread. Why are there references to Colombia and Argentina? That certainly didn't happen in this leg.

54 minutes ago, J-Man said:

From the first post in this thread. Why are there references to Colombia and Argentina? That certainly didn't happen in this leg.

I don't know where OP got her info, but that's clearly a description of things that will happen this season, just not all in this leg. 

• Like 1

My first impression is that this is a season where the field of competition is pretty weak. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a bad season, but it doesn't seem like anyone really crushed that leg, though the first two teams to the mat did well. It'll be interesting if this ends up being a season where there isn't a small group of teams who absolutely dominate the competition. I don't think we've had that in a while.

1 hour ago, J-Man said:

8 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't know where OP got her info, but that's clearly a description of things that will happen this season, just not all in this leg. 

Oops! Got the description from Zap2it. Edited it with the one from CBS. Thanks!!

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Hera said:

My first impression is that this is a season where the field of competition is pretty weak. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a bad season, but it doesn't seem like anyone really crushed that leg, though the first two teams to the mat did well. It'll be interesting if this ends up being a season where there isn't a small group of teams who absolutely dominate the competition. I don't think we've had that in a while.

Didn't a couple of the recent seasons have some teams dominating?

Like one tied or set a record for most first-place finishes and another season had the team which won the most legs end up winning the final.

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Best place to start is at the ending. I couldn't figure out why the show was playing somber music when Maya and Rohan were approaching and then when he was eliminating them I was waiting for him to reveal he was just punking them....and then he didn't! I have no memory of anyone ever being eliminated on an Uber Leg. Is this new?

The clue to the pseudo-pitstop did say "the last team to arrive will be eliminated," so I don't think TPTB could really get away with turning it into a pseudo-nonelimination. All integrity would have been lost.

• Like 2
On 3/14/2024 at 11:53 AM, iMonrey said:

Agreed. I have no real favorites so far, but I don't dislike anyone yet either. And maybe they got the memo we're sick of social media influencers?

I think Rod and Leticia (NFL and wife) are going to be the team to beat. But I was surprised how well boyfriends Ricky and Cesar did. I think the face mask detour was the better option overall but especially for them. 

Derek and Shelisa are retired police officers but they are captioned as "grandparents" so I had trouble remembering who they were through the whole episode. 

I thought twins Anthony and Bailey would be awful but they actually did a fairly decent job. They raced right through the Roadblock (whichever one did it) and they're both young and fit. They seem to be having a good time too. That goes a long way. 

Air force pilots Juan and Shane are also going to be a strong team, they made up a huge time deficit toward the end and are arguably the most fit after Rod. 

I have no real feel for anyone else yet, except it was clear right away sibs Maya and Rohan were toast when they got hopelessly lost and Maya refused to stop or turn around. Father/daughter team Chris and Mary aren't long for this race either if this leg was any indication of Chris's stamina. 

I admire Rohan for not snapping as Maya drove aimlessly and was not willing to stop for directions. Navigation issues aside, they didn't seem to have any urgency within them. (I was the one one screaming "RAAAAAACE!!!" at the top of my lungs at the tv. Heh.)  Hell, Amber and Vinny drove to the other side of the island and still managed to beat the Siblings to Phil.

I'm late to the party, but I'm all in!

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 9:30 PM, North of Eden said:

I have no memory of anyone ever being eliminated on an Uber Leg. Is this new?

I had to go down a rabbit hole on Wikipedia but I finally found it - at least the one I remember:  in Season 10, Bilal and Sa'eed were eliminated in China in the middle of the first leg.  I don't know if the term mega-leg was in use at that time. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
(edited)

Glad to have TAR back! 

Part of me was a little disappointed that Maya and Rohan were eliminated on the first part of mega leg. However, if they were the team that refused to use a map on top of the car debacle, I suppose it was only a matter of time with them.  

Bring on the two new countries!

Edited by InDueTime
  • Like 5
On 3/14/2024 at 1:58 PM, Notabug said:

I believe in later seasons, particularly after Colin and Christy managed to get an almost 24 hour lead on the pack at least in part due to airport skills; TBTB added restrictions to the rules for booking a flight.

In the early seasons, teams flew some obscure airlines overseas that didn't have a great safety record which also led to the Amazing lawyers issuing a proclamation that only certain airlines, those with documented safe records, were ok to use for flights.

So no flying on Boeings in future ?

• Applause 3
On 3/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

If you watch, they don't show Phil's face when he says that or makes any reference to "last" season. I assume that they just dubbed in Phil's voice. It's amazing what you can do with editing.

There were two different segments in the pre-Race banter that were a bit sus.  The part about the "previous Race" and "one new country" was one of them, but it was less edited than the other.  Phil was actually visible in shot for portions of that.  And as noted above, it still made sense for both versions of reality, since both "previous Races" visited a new country; Jordan and Slovenia respectively.  So there may have been some editing trickery on that part, but not a whole lot.  Might even be related to the extended cut more than anything else.

The other moment came before that, and was strictly done as shots of the Racers with a Phil VO.  That one was definitely assembled for the moment.  Problem is now that I can't remember what it was about.

I forget who it was, but one of the guys said something like "Gracias, mujera!" to the clue-giver at the rope-block, which IIRC means, "Thanks, woman!", when it probably should have been "Senora" or "Senorita."  (sorry no tildas)

It was funny on half the cluebox-arrivals to see the voladores climbing wearily back up for yet another round, probably thinking "when will the rest of these dinguses get here so we can finally go home and take a nap?" I mean, I'm sure they enjoy vol-ing, but there's a limit to how many times you can have the blood rush to your head in a day, no?

(And I would much rather do the hanging/spinning than be the person at the top playing an instrument--the first shot where he was actually standing on top of the pole freaked me out--even later when he was sitting!)

Because my brain loves to classify things, I was intrigued at the different ways the teams described the wrestling masks, either by color or by symbol or whatever.  It all went too fast for me to decide what I myself would call them!  

My progeny was sitting on the couch quoting Anna Leigh (disparagingly) every time Mary said something sweet to her dad!

I like the two same-sex couples; I think we saw more of the guys (sweet for the one to make his partner's dream his own), and I think the half-Mexican one from the women looks like a brown-eyed Parvati Shallow (from Survivor).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/15/2024 at 10:30 PM, North of Eden said:

Nathan & Cody were eliminated at the end of the first half of a mega-leg back in the premiere of TAR32.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Was it one of the women who said "He hates to lose" about her BF/husband?  Or am I mixing it up with another show?

I hate that phrase.

I hear it as "sore loser"

I mean, nobody "likes" to lose.

• Like 4
On 3/14/2024 at 6:21 AM, shura said:

Wow, so many teams that seem really unprepared and not likely to do well on the Race. Did the siblings say they were competitive swimmers and something else? Competitive? In the sense that they want to win, I’m guessing, not in the sense they are able to compete, right?

Phil said something like “we went to a new country last season, and this season we are going to two new countries!”  Seeing how “this” season happened before “last” season, did they assemble everybody on that beach again way afterwards, just to record that line?

My guess is they did a VoiceOver for the 2 countries and edited a finger in or took him holding up 2 fingers from another time he wore same shirt.

I was surprised that the wife who told us that she was a World Champion Double Dutch jumper didn't take the rope challenge.  True, her husband owns the business with her, but she's a champion so I thought it would be in her wheel house.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 3/22/2024 at 12:08 PM, seacliffsal said:

I was surprised that the wife who told us that she was a World Champion Double Dutch jumper didn't take the rope challenge.  True, her husband owns the business with her, but she's a champion so I thought it would be in her wheel house.

I was confused as well; being that she was smaller and more adept at jumping rope, Michelle would have killed that challenge.  The cousin killed me for barrelling straight into the Roadblock without completely reading the clue.

• Like 2
(edited)

I actually didn't know that the race was back on. Kinda surprised that it's so soon after last season.

It didn't seem like this was the covid season at first, with all the references by Phil to "last season", but the Internet says it is and it got obvious later with the masks, so I guess those were ADRd in.

Really curious decision to make it look like this was filmed after 35 and not filmed during covid. I'm really curious how they are going to pull this off. Just not mention the reason why the racers suddenly fly on the amazing jet again and pretend like masks are still normal?

It's always sad when the super fans (who even prepared since high school in this case) are out first. Because I feel like once they'd get their groove after 2-3 legs, they'd be great. They clearly got too far into their own heads, didn't want to take a 5 minute time loss to buy a map and lost hours in the process. As a super fan you should know, you don't have to come in first in any leg but the last one and with a field this big, just play it save. If you make it far enough, you might even get to race a second and third time, but nobody is inviting you back if you are out first.

Although them trying to turn in that small alley and only turning the wheels of the car ever so slightly was hilarious.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
(edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 9:58 PM, Notabug said:

In the early seasons, teams flew some obscure airlines overseas that didn't have a great safety record which also led to the Amazing lawyers issuing a proclamation that only certain airlines, those with documented safe records, were ok to use for flights.

Wondering if the Amazing lawyers now issued a proclemation that teams can't fly Boeing anymore, because I don't think those obscure airlines have safety records worse than that company...

On 3/14/2024 at 11:21 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't think you're in the minority. I have recently gone back and watched Seasons 1, 2 and 3, which I had never seen before, and fully half the episodes were spent on airport drama, minimalizing time spent on Roadblocks and Detours. There was just way too much footage of people at airports looking up flights, booking flights, fighting over flights, waiting for flights, boarding flights, etc. 

I might be in the minority, but I liked the airport drama of early seasons. It made the show actually feel like a race around the world and not a series of tasks, that could mostly be filmed somewhere in California, just set in countries around the world.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:44 PM, chitowngirl said:

This season was already edited to fit into a 60 minute time slot when the Hollywood strikes happened. So they edited the next season for a 90 minute time slot so CBS could air something. Then they re-edited this season to fit a 90 minute time slot. It’s easier to edit from scratch than to re-edit something already completed.

They could have just edited this season from scratch again and likely mostly did. It's just that at the time they thought they'd go back to a 60 minute time slot and so re-editing would be a complete waste.

Guess CBS liked the 90 minute format though and here we are. We could have actually had the right order. But as always hindsight is 20/20.

On 3/16/2024 at 3:30 AM, North of Eden said:

It certainly hasn't happened often. I was surprised as well. Even in the last seasons they made their "no non-elimination legs" true by having a bunch of keep on racings and not eliminating people there.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1

tbh, when I started the episode tonight, I didn't know if I'd make it through the season or even the whole episode. I'm starting the season late and we were very spoiled last season with mostly wholesome, competent teams. This season got right in there with annoying voices, bickering, incompetence, frustration... all my least favorite parts of TAR. I was disappointed (and confused) with the elimination since I wasn't sure how no NEL was going to work with everyone continuing to race. Also with their showing at the memory task, they might have succeeded where others wouldn't (yes, I was annoyed at so many people jumping to the horse task even if the "judge" was maybe the most adorable race judge ever). I will stick with it for a while but it's definitely a background show right now. I walked away and did other things rather than being glued to the screen.

• Like 1