Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: A Frankenstein’s Monster And A Crazy Church Guy

• Start Topic

Sheldon helps his roommate try to beat the stock market, Missy and Billy Sparks throw a party, and Mary finds a new church, on YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, March 14 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

• Mind Blown 1

Talk about divine intervention for Mary! 😂😂😂😂

Both Mary and Sheldon got played by the same scam, just in different forms.

I can’t believe that Billy looks old enough to pass for a drinking age. I also can’t believe is so desperate for Billy to have friends she’ll let Missy throw a party in her house. I know she’s laid back compared to Mary but still…

Missy puking in the church donations was hilarious.

• Like 8

14 seems a little young to throw a kegger.

Loved them throwing the computer out the window.

Can't believe Mary sent money to a televenagelist.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I loved the comments about 1) opening the window first and 2) just unplugging it.

The tv dialogue echoed my family room chit-chat.

• Like 9

Not a big Mandy fan, but think she had the line of the night explaining that the only underaged person she'll buy booze for is the underaged father of her baby.

Guess Mary was smart enough not to let their tax guy know that there was an $800 error in their favor on their taxes. 'Cuz you know Sheldon would have argued every penny back to the IRS. (Wonder if Mary even told George?)

Eye patch Mary!!! 🤣😂🤣

• Like 7

Wow, an enjoyable episode!  I wasn't that awake for it though, LOL.  I don't remember seeing Georgie in it.  Billy never disappoints.  I like the way his character has grown up a little.  He still talks about the chickens, LOL. 

The irony of the pastor's comments about the televangelist was not lost on me and it was quite funny.  I guess enough time has passed for everyone to let bygones be bygones.

I'm wondering if the reason we're not seeing certain characters much or at all this season is because of budgetary limitations.  I know that was reported to be the case on another Chuck Lorre show in its final season, "Bob Hearts Abishola" and the absence or near absence of certain people here feels like a similar thing.  We haven't seen the president of the university, I missed Georgie or he wasn't here at all, and Brenda was basically in a bit part in this episode.  And we haven't seen Dr. Sturgis either.  I forget if I read that Wallace Shawn will be back or if he left the show already.  It's hard to keep track with all the time that passed with the writer's strike.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I missed Georgie or he wasn't here at all, and Brenda was basically in a bit part in this episode. 

Georgie was in a short scene with Missy where she asks him to buy her some beer for the party. Georgie informs her that not only is she too young, but also that he's still not old enough to buy beer! (Mandy later,  and amusingly, reinforces this point!) Georgie does make a contribution to the party, supplying Missy with a bunch of good quality fireworks that he had in the garage. So, if you were wondering where Missy got the fireworks that hit Mary in the tush at the end of the episode, now you know!

• Like 9
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I missed Georgie or he wasn't here at all

He was on.  Missy tried to talk him into buying booze for her party.  After he turns her down he does give her some fireworks for the party which was the source of the firework that hit Mary in the behind later. 

(Posted at the same time, ProudMary.  Great minds and all that, hah).

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Skooma said:

He was on.  Missy tried to talk him into buying booze for her party.  After he turns her down he does give her some fireworks for the party which was the source of the firework that hit Mary in the behind later. 

(Posted at the same time, ProudMary.  Great minds and all that, hah).

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Georgie was in a short scene with Missy where she asks him to buy her some beer for the party. Georgie informs her that not only is she too young, but also that he's still not old enough to buy beer! (Mandy later,  and amusingly, reinforces this point!) Georgie does make a contribution to the party, supplying Missy with a bunch of good quality fireworks that he had in the garage. So, if you were wondering where Missy got the fireworks that hit Mary in the tush at the end of the episode, now you know!

I do remember that now, thanks!

• Like 1

George's concern over the $50 donation to the televangelist made me wonder how much she donates to the physical church. $12.50 a week would be a rough equivalent to $50 a month.

Mandy's guide to establishing "make out areas" was gold. "You want to keep them vertical", or words to that effect.

• Like 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Guess Mary was smart enough not to let their tax guy know that there was an $800 error in their favor on their taxes. 'Cuz you know Sheldon would have argued every penny back to the IRS. (Wonder if Mary even told George?)

Between the broken window and the station wagon possibly needing repairs, the $800 will soon be gone.

19 minutes ago, appositival said:

George's concern over the $50 donation to the televangelist made me wonder how much she donates to the physical church. $12.50 a week would be a rough equivalent to $50 a month.

Good point.  I'm going to guess no more than $5 each week, and he's probably not thrilled with that.

9 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Between the broken window and the station wagon possibly needing repairs, the $800 will soon be gone.

19 minutes ago, appositival said:

Good point.  I'm going to guess no more than $5 each week, and he's probably not thrilled with that.

So the dorm room miraculously has bunk beds in it this episode, and Sheldon keeps his money sock in a drawer, which indicates that he also lives there.  But Joaquin took a shower in that bathroom, implying that it's his room.  Maybe they are hoping we won't care?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So the dorm room miraculously has bunk beds in it this episode, and Sheldon keeps his money sock in a drawer, which indicates that he also lives there.  But Joaquin took a shower in that bathroom, implying that it's his room.  Maybe they are hoping we won't care?

It's probably the cleanest shower in the whole dorm. I'd use it even if I didn't live there.

Also, Sheldon is living in the dorms? Does Mary know? Or care? I know George doesn't care. Has he been home since the last episode? I have so many logistical questions.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, appositival said:

The real problem is that once someone starts donating to tv snake oil salesmen, they don't generally stop at small amounts once a month.  Those crystal cathedrals and mega churches get built on the wallets of people the televangelists con into sending them money on a regular basis.

• Like 9

I can see George being a bit more alright with them donating to a local church than to some televangelist in Dallas, at least they could say that the money will go to practical things like church upkeep and local charities, which is what that money is usually supposed to go to. 

God really wanted Mary to know what he thought about that televangelist with the stupid hair! Her showing up at church with an eyepatch was a great joke, as was Missy hurling into the collection box.  

I went to my first beer party when I was fourteen, my friends college aged sister provided the beer! Luckily I didn't drink enough to have a hangover because I thought the beer was gross, but I did feel pretty cool. Georgie had a point about the fireworks, those bottle rockets sounded like a hit, pun not intended. Sorry Mary. 

This is why we don't play God Sheldon. 

• Like 8

"I can only speculate based on the data I collected watching my parents’ marriage implode. In that case, the woman dives into religion..."

So, will young Sheldon interpret Mary's return to church as "diving into religion?" If so, does this qualify as continued retconning?

Actually, I could believe that older Sheldon sincerely believed all the things he shared with others regarding his parents' relationship during the time period of TBBT.

However, in this series we are now hearing/watching the recollections of an even older Sheldon, perhaps one that has had opportunity to have had honest conversations with his mother that he never would have had as an unmarried man...

Sheldon is retconning himself!

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, tkc said:

However, in this series we are now hearing/watching the recollections of an even older Sheldon, perhaps one that has had opportunity to have had honest conversations with his mother that he never would have had as an unmarried man...

Is is retconning though, to gain new/more complete understanding of situations? I think we all have that experience of seeing how we saw something as children was incorrect or not the complete picture once we're an adult.

I really enjoyed Sheldon and his friends with their unintentional AI program. It seemed like it could have been a storyline from TBBT.

• Like 11
17 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Not a big Mandy fan, but think she had the line of the night explaining that the only underaged person she'll buy booze for is the underaged father of her baby.

Would that still be illegal or is it a spousal privilege kind of thing?  Btw, I forgot, are they getting married?  Where does that stand?

My favorite line was when Mary said that Jesus wants us to prosper and Connie goes “Is that why he huffed and puffed and blew my house down?”  

• Like 7
1 hour ago, shura said:

Would that still be illegal or is it a spousal privilege kind of thing?  Btw, I forgot, are they getting married?  Where does that stand?

It is still illegal whether or not Georgie and Mandy are married. However, spousal privilege would mean that neither one can testify against the other about it. At least that’s my understanding as a proud graduate of Hudson University law school

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Wow, an enjoyable episode!  I wasn't that awake for it though, LOL.  I don't remember seeing Georgie in it.  Billy never disappoints.  I like the way his character has grown up a little.  He still talks about the chickens, LOL. 

The irony of the pastor's comments about the televangelist was not lost on me and it was quite funny.  I guess enough time has passed for everyone to let bygones be bygones.

I'm wondering if the reason we're not seeing certain characters much or at all this season is because of budgetary limitations.  I know that was reported to be the case on another Chuck Lorre show in its final season, "Bob Hearts Abishola" and the absence or near absence of certain people here feels like a similar thing.  We haven't seen the president of the university, I missed Georgie or he wasn't here at all, and Brenda was basically in a bit part in this episode.  And we haven't seen Dr. Sturgis either.  I forget if I read that Wallace Shawn will be back or if he left the show already.  It's hard to keep track with all the time that passed with the writer's strike.

Where’s the little sister of Billy who used to beat up Sheldon?

I hope Dr. Sturgis returns.

10 hours ago, vibeology said:

It's probably the cleanest shower in the whole dorm. I'd use it even if I didn't live there.

Also, Sheldon is living in the dorms? Does Mary know? Or care? I know George doesn't care. Has he been home since the last episode? I have so many logistical questions.

That was my point. Is he living there, or does he bring his money sock with him and put it in the drawer? Did someone move his stuff in? Can you imagine him sleeping on either a top bunk or with someone right above him?  But I guess he does, because there isn't any place for him to sleep at home.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That was my point. Is he living there, or does he bring his money sock with him and put it in the drawer? Did someone move his stuff in? Can you imagine him sleeping on either a top bunk or with someone right above him?  But I guess he does, because there isn't any place for him to sleep at home.

Well, his room (at home) was up for grabs after the tornado, and I think someone mentioned that it was because he was staying in the dorm, but I don’t remember much beyond that. 

• Like 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think something should have been said or happened to explain this but it didn't.  I just assumed that at some point Sheldon was given a roommate without his knowledge and because he was basically pushed out at home because they assumed he could sleep in the dorm room (and Meemaw's house didn't work out) he had no choice but to stay there.  It doesn't make sense though, that Sheldon wouldn't have marched right into the Univ. President's office to complain and was told why it had to be that way, and then made peace with it because he got to work on some cool computer stuff with this guy and his friends.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, Katy M said:

Unfortunately, it's not too young. Plenty of people start drinking at high-school parties at that age. 

22 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

I may be overthinking this, but what if that is their normal regular refund for the year? Sheldon does their taxes, he might not tell them what the refund is supposed to be, or knowing Sheldon, told them but they were too busy doing something else so they didn't hear him/didn't remember. 

8 hours ago, tkc said:

And Georgie. It seemed toward the end of TTBT Georgie and Sheldon were starting to reconnect and develop a better relationship. I can picture Georgie telling Sheldon stories about what happened when they were younger and giving him more information than he had before. 

3 hours ago, anna0852 said:

It is still illegal whether or not Georgie and Mandy are married. However, spousal privilege would mean that neither one can testify against the other about it. At least that’s my understanding as a proud graduate of Hudson University law school

I forgot Hudson University had a law school. This is how you know you are among serious TV/Movie people and I love it.  

I liked that Billy was totally willing to go along with Missy's idea of a party. I found it amusing that his mother wants him to do normal teenage things, and is willing to let him have a wild party. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 3/14/2024 at 8:37 PM, Katy M said:

9 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Unfortunately, it's not too young. Plenty of people start drinking at high-school parties at that age. 

True. First year high school students attend parties where alcohol and worse may be served. But would the actual organisers of the parties be as young as 14?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

True. First year high school students attend parties where alcohol and worse may be served. But would the actual organisers of the parties be as young as 14?

That is a totally fair and valid point.  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

17 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

That is a totally fair and valid point.  

Of course, we just saw Missy acting the grownup after the tornado and then starting to revert to her real age emotionally. 

So maybe organizing a kegger is the perfect example of Missy's role confusion during these stressful times.

Regardless, based on the amount of barfing Missy was doing into the collection plate, she may decide to become a teetotaler. 

• Like 4

Sheldon was given a place to sleep at home-- in the garage, which sounds worse than it is. Georgie lived out there and slept there himself for a long time. It's not the kind of garage that you picture, with cars in it and nothing else. It has a bed, etc.

In the previous episode, the family thought Sheldon was sleeping late due to jet lag, and had they had no idea he was at the dorm. We still don't know how he's getting there, since a parent always drove him in the past. I assume there's a bus, but I thought Mary was opposed to him taking public transport!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Sheldon was given a place to sleep at home-- in the garage, which sounds worse than it is. Georgie lived out there and slept there himself for a long time. It's not the kind of garage that you picture, with cars in it and nothing else. It has a bed, etc.

In the previous episode, the family thought Sheldon was sleeping late due to jet lag, and had they had no idea he was at the dorm. We still don't know how he's getting there, since a parent always drove him in the past. I assume there's a bus, but I thought Mary was opposed to him taking public transport!

Yes, this is another thing they left hanging about the dorm room/garage situation.  We don't even know if the family knows where he is.  How could they go for days on end not seeing him and just assume he's in the garage?  Some exchange should have happened to show that they know he's in the dorm room but it never happened.  And that's a really good point about how he's getting there.  I figured he's sleeping there now because suddenly there's a bunk bed in the room, which would explain why he doesn't need to be driven there.  But the show has not told us this so we're left to try to figure this out for ourselves.  It feels sloppy and like a loophole that I would not expect from a Chuck Lorre show.  Usually everything is explained and there is nothing left dangling.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, his room (at home) was up for grabs after the tornado, and I think someone mentioned that it was because he was staying in the dorm, but I don’t remember much beyond that. 

It was up for grabs because he was in Germany.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

We don't even know if the family knows where he is.  How could they go for days on end not seeing him and just assume he's in the garage?

Not seeing Sheldon is a good thing.  You don’t mess with a good thing.  You don’t even ask questions.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

When I was in High School, our legal drinking age was 18.  It wasn't unusual for parties to get organized by freshmen and attended by sophmores, juniors and seniors, who brought the beer.   It just depended on who's house was parent-free that weekend. 

Poor Missy.  That first hangover is a doozy!  But sadly, we always forget the pain & agony!

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I assume there's a bus, but I thought Mary was opposed to him taking public transport!

I'd say after his adventures on a German train, Mary probably unbent enough for him to ride a bus across town.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, anna0852 said:

It is still illegal whether or not Georgie and Mandy are married.

If he got in an accident and injured someone, would she be liable then for supplying him with the alcohol?  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

If he got in an accident and injured someone, would she be liable then for supplying him with the alcohol?  

In NJ, a parent giving their kid alcohol in their own home (or another kid if that kid's parents are also present and give permission, if I'm reading correctly) is not illegal (but individual towns can also make stricter laws so that's not necessarily valid state-wide). But if they serve alcohol and the kid then goes out and causes an accident, the parents can be sued for damages.

Specific to Texas, I found this: 

Can you drink with your spouse if you're under 21 in Texas?

In Texas, a minor may possess an alcoholic beverage if the minor is in the visible presence of his adult parent, guardian, or spouse.

So if she buys beer for him to drink when they're just hanging out together at home, it's probably fine, but not if she buys it for him to have a party or something when she's not there. (Whether that was the case in the 90s, I don't know.) Couldn't find specifics on what might happen to her if he then went out and got in an accident after drinking but I'd imagine she could be sued the same as a parent/guardian (assuming that is also the law for parents in TX which I also didn't find but then I didn't look that hard).

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

11 hours ago, Skooma said:

It was up for grabs because he was in Germany.

D'oh!  Of course I didn't forget the main plot point of the season. [can't find "embarrassed" emoji to insert]

• Wink 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t Sheldon go out to the garage, see the unmade bed (so, dirty sheets), and said “Nope”. That’s when he went to the dorm. So he was willing to go out to the garage, but not in a slept in bed…

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I'd say after his adventures on a German train, Mary probably unbent enough for him to ride a bus across town.  

For whatever it's worth, it's not in the same town.  But, I'm not sure how far away it is.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Can't believe Mary sent money to a televenagelist.

I went to my first kegger at 14. My (sociopath) older brother dropped me off with half a gallon of vodka. I drank all of it, cleared the bong twice, and puked. 

2 hours ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I went to my first kegger at 14. My (sociopath) older brother dropped me off with half a gallon of vodka. I drank all of it, cleared the bong twice, and puked. 

And you didn't at least have to go to the ER to prevent death from alcohol poisoning? 
Any chance that when you were busy with the bong that the vodka got passed around and consumed by others?
A half pint of whiskey at 16 made me puke a lot.
But then I'm not genetically predisposed to be able to consume liquor.

And now I'm recalling the reason I was drinking the whiskey was related to the Vietnam war, so I can imagine surviving a tornado but still dealing with its aftermath might have motivated Missy.

• Like 1

100 years ago when I was in college, our beds could either be separate or bunked. It is possible they rearranged the room to bunk the beds to give them more space for activities. I do recall the beds were separate when Sheldon first met this dude. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

If Sheldon is living in the dorm, that means he's eating 3 meals a day at college. Who's paying for that? (I also don't think the school would accept the liability for a 13 year-old living on campus by himself, but I'll allow it.)

It's also interesting that Sheldon doesn't miss his trains or any of his other stuff. They really skipped over the details of this major transition.

• Like 2
On 3/21/2024 at 1:27 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If Sheldon is living in the dorm, that means he's eating 3 meals a day at college. Who's paying for that? (I also don't think the school would accept the liability for a 13 year-old living on campus by himself, but I'll allow it.)

It's also interesting that Sheldon doesn't miss his trains or any of his other stuff. They really skipped over the details of this major transition.

I imagine he has a full scholarship that includes room and board.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1