Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:
19 hours ago, Driad said:

At least CTM is better than some medical dramas, in which a staff member has a personal crisis, and a patient is promptly admitted whose condition is relevant to that crisis.

Hmm. You aren't by any chance referencing Grey's Anatomy now are you?

No, ER.  I watched a few episodes of GA but the soap to medicine ratio was too high for me.  Back on topic, I didn't expect to like CTM as much as I do.

• Like 2

Solid episode. I was praying along with the nuns for Fred's recovery. I'm sure he will do just fine as Madame Mayor's consort. 

Getting kind of tired of Matthew Hugh Granting all the time. 

Someone can be mayor of just part of London?  How does that work?

I got tired of hearing Fred say he would be "Lady Mayoress" if Violet were elected mayor.  If the word "mayoress" must exist, it sounds like a female mayor, not a mayor's wife.  Someone could have tried to come up with a title for a mayor's husband, even back in the 60s.

• Like 1

The scene with Violet at Fred's bedside in the hospital caused me to pause the TV and take a deep breath.  There is little in life as frightening as approaching the hospital bed where one's beloved is lying, with no sureness as to the future.

Glad that both Fred and Mr. AZC are back on their feet and as feisty as ever.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3

Women in the 60s, even  early 70s, would most likely quit their profession on getting married.  Not saying everyone did, but it was the norm.  Someone like Trixie, would probably resigned her position , especially since Matthew had a son that needed care.  I know Sheila did not quit, but she would have been the exception.  I know many nurses that worked part time back then until they became pregnant and then quit working.  Back in the 50s, where I live, nurses were not even  allowed to be married. My mother was going to nursing school and had to quit to marry my father.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

It is particularly true of women who were solidly middle class that they would stop working once they got married in the 60's through early 70's.  Sheila, being married to a doctor and having young kids and Trixie, marrying an upper class business man with an infant; were exactly the sorts of women who would stop working, at least until the kids were in school.  And, even then, they would usually try to find part time work and certainly would be unlikely to work a full time job with evening and weekend hours.  Sheila working as a nurse in the outpatient clinic a couple days a week while the kids were in school would be the norm.

Lower class women, like much of the population in Poplar would often have jobs either because their husband was absent or otherwise unable to support the family on his own due to layoffs, lack of work skills or alcoholism or other addiction.

Of course, this isn't the first time the show has let modern norms and sensibilities show up in scenes set 50 or more years ago.  We've also seen the nuns and others far more tolerant of abortion, racial differences, and gay folk that would've been the usual for that time.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

OMG Fred with tetanus was way too scary ( and I called it as soon as he warned Regie not to cut himself). The Fred actor did a great job. Reminded me how much I cried when sister Evangelina died. 

• Like 10

I had to keep telling myself that they wouldn’t kill off Fred on Easter Sunday, even if it wasn’t an Easter episode per se. But tetanus is a very scary disease and so easily preventable, even then. Fred should have known better. If Reggie had been the one to cut himself, Fred and Violet would have made sure he got “jabbed.”

Trixie looks lovely this season, but her storylines have been terrible. An expensive sofa? Really?

I appreciated the model mother’s baby  story, but the part about the Mother/baby photo shoot was dumb, though I imagine the callous agent was accurate. 

I don’t have passport and really resent PBS for chopping the episodes into hash. 

• Like 7

Chummy also continued to work even after her son was born. For the midwives, their jobs were a calling. We're now seeing a demand for and a need for better wages for these dedicated women.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I had to keep telling myself that they wouldn’t kill off Fred on Easter Sunday, even if it wasn’t an Easter episode per se. But tetanus is a very scary disease and so easily preventable, even then. Fred should have known better. If Reggie had been the one to cut himself, Fred and Violet would have made sure he got “jabbed.”

Trixie looks lovely this season, but her storylines have been terrible. An expensive sofa? Really?

I would so much prefer to see Trixie in a storyline where Matthew shares his concerns about their finances and Trixie, using the smarts and dedication that she's shown in other areas; helps brainstorm a solution or two to get them back on stable ground.  Then, we can see the two of them carrying out the plan, working together to resolve the financial crisis.

For example, realizing that the expensive new sofa isn't in the budget; why not have Trixie with maybe a couple of other midwives and/or Fred decide to re-upholster their old sofa?  It's not much, but it's better than the shopping spree and driving lessons we've gotten so far.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Chummy also continued to work even after her son was born. For the midwives, their jobs were a calling.

Did Chummy have a baby? I don't remember that. I remember she married the cop then went off to run the home for wayward girls and then they never mentioned her again.

So many nurses have come and gone over the thirteen seasons. It's why I'd hate to see them write Trixie off, she's one of the very few originals left.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Did Chummy have a baby? I don't remember that.

Yes, named Freddie for Fred Buckle. I believe she referred to him as “Young Sir”.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Yes, named Freddie for Fred Buckle. I believe she referred to him as “Young Sir”.

That is right! 

22 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I know many nurses that worked part time back then until they became pregnant and then quit working.

There are places where it would have been considered scandalous for a pregnant nurse to wear white even if the pregnancy had been "legitimate." We were really supposed to be thought of as pure and virtuous in all aspects on and off the job.

I know of one married nurse in the 1960s who didn't want to quit while she was pregnant, so she was forced to move from working on the floor where she would have to wear a white uniform into Labor & Delivery where she would be allowed to wear colored scrubs. This was in the US, not the UK, but maybe the nurses we've seen on the show who were pregnant on the job were just allowed to stay because they already weren't in jobs where they needed white uniforms.

We've come a long way, Baby!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2024 at 8:00 PM, debraran said:

I vaguely remember them talking to her fiance about the size of her engagement ring. I thought that was tacky, that she would "need" a certain size.

I seem to remember her being just as shallow about engagement rings when Tom proposed, but that was quite a few seasons ago.  I could be misremembering.

There was, of course, the whole freak out about the tiara before the wedding.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I don’t have passport and really resent PBS for chopping the episodes into hash. 

If World on Fire was any indication, PBS cuts stuff out for Passport.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

So many nurses have come and gone over the thirteen seasons. It's why I'd hate to see them write Trixie off, she's one of the very few originals left.

I find in unrealistic that any of the original non-nun midwives would still be there so many years later.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
18 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

If World on Fire was any indication, PBS cuts stuff out for Passport.

I would be shocked if anything available on Passport were different than what is broadcast on PBS proper at another time.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I seem to remember her being just as shallow about engagement rings when Tom proposed, but that was quite a few seasons ago.  I could be misremembering.

There was, of course, the whole freak out about the tiara before the wedding.

I was so shocked Sister Julienne told Matthew about how unimpressed she was with Tom's ring...she's a nun and telling him to buy her a big ring.  Ugh. It was so out of character as many fans pointed out to butt in that way. It wasn't like he was poor. (yet)

I'm glad if we get a break from them for a while.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Notabug said:

For example, realizing that the expensive new sofa isn't in the budget; why not have Trixie with maybe a couple of other midwives and/or Fred decide to re-upholster their old sofa? 

Reminds me of when Lucy and Ethel reupholstered Lucy’s furniture for the Mertzes to have.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/2/2024 at 10:00 AM, mmecorday said:

LOL.  I "get" what you're saying . . . and you're right!!!!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I would be shocked if anything available on Passport were different than what is broadcast on PBS proper at another time.

I have Passport and CTM is the same both on Passport and airing on TV.  Lots of cut scenes.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, debraran said:

I was so shocked Sister Julienne told Matthew about how unimpressed she was with Tom's ring...she's a nun and telling him to buy her a big ring.  Ugh. It was so out of character as many fans pointed out to butt in that way. It wasn't like he was poor. (yet)

I'm glad if we get a break from them for a while.

I agree, that was out of character for Sister Julienne.

And just to clarify, I like Trixie and would miss the character.  I just think her story at Nonnatus House has run its course.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I agree, that was out of character for Sister Julienne.

And just to clarify, I like Trixie and would miss the character.  I just think her story at Nonnatus House has run its course.

I like Trixie, too, but have to agree that she's simply been in the same place doing the same thing too long.  And, now that she's happily married, there isn't much story left to tell.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

What? 🤨

I get the meaning. He is acting like Hugh Grant in many of his movies does (or did, he has  improved in the last several years). 

6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I get the meaning. He is acting like Hugh Grant in many of his movies does (or did, he has  improved in the last several years). 

I would love to see him dance down the steps to "Jump" at Nonnatus house.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Anyone else start wondering when their last tetanus shot was or just me? I knew as soon as Fred cut his hand that we were heading that way. Parisi did a great job.

I think all of you speculating about Matthew being less wealthy than we think are spot on. Especially now that we've seen Mr Greedy Condescending Slum Lord Councillor.

• Like 7

I carry a sheet of paper, folded up to the size of my insurance cards.  It has a listing of my medical history, current doctors, AND a list of my vaccinations, boosters, etc.

At 77, I can't remember s**t, so if a doctor asks me whether I've had a shot for something, I pull out my paper.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

Anyone else start wondering when their last tetanus shot was or just me? I knew as soon as Fred cut his hand that we were heading that way. Parisi did a great job.

Mine was 30 years ago this year and I only remember the exact year because it was as a result an injury that happened a few weeks before my niece was born. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
21 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Mine was 30 years ago this year and I only remember the exact year because it was as a result an injury that happened a few weeks before my niece was born. 

Have you heard of the TDAP booster? It's a combo of tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I carry a sheet of paper, folded up to the size of my insurance cards.  It has a listing of my medical history, current doctors, AND a list of my vaccinations, boosters, etc.

As a retired ER nurse, I applaud you!  Patients that came prepared were so rare and totally appreciated.  I always loved the men who rolled in and, when asked about their meds would say "I don't know, I just take what my wife gives me".

I have a copy of my medical history posted on my refrigerator and in my wallet.  When seeing a new doc, it's easy to whip out and hand over rather than handwrite a bunch of forms.

And, yes, I am up to date on tetanus!  No lockjaw for me!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ML89 said:

For those who are wondering, the CDC recommends that adults receive a tetanus booster every 10 years and, if they suffer an injury putting them at increased risk and it's been more than 5 years; they should get boosted again.

And, if you're getting a tetanus immunization, it is a good idea to get it in the form of a Tdap which also covers diptheria and pertussis (whooping cough).  There has been a resurgence of whooping cough which can be very dangerous for infants due to parents choosing not to vaccinate their kids.  Anyone who is going to be spending any time around a newborn and hasn't been boosted, ought to consider it as it is the only way to protect babies who are too young for the vaccine.  Adults can contract whooping cough and not realize it as it can seem like a bad cough/cold in them.

Nowadays, with electronic medical records, most people should be able to access their immunization history, at least recent history, via the web portal used by their doctor or hospital system.  In the case of Tdap, it really doesn't matter when you first got it, it's the last time that counts.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 10
16 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Nowadays, with electronic medical records, most people should be able to access their immunization history, at least recent history, via the web portal used by their doctor or hospital system.

If you see multiple physicians, they may not share the same electronic medical record system.  You'd need to access each one separately for a complete record.

Sadly the dream of one universal record will probably never happen.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

If you see multiple physicians, they may not share the same electronic medical record system.  You'd need to access each one separately for a complete record.

Actually, at least in my part of the country, it is progressing towards universal access.  The large city where i practice had two competing teaching hospitals which each chose a competing record system, so, if a patient went to one, the other had no access.

However, as the record system chosen by one of them (Epic) has shown itself to be most popular; the other hospital system is in the process of switching to it and I can now, as a practitioner, get patient information from their proividers, too.  Once the transition is complete, I'll be able to obtain virtually the entire chart from the competing provider.  Pharmacies have also adopted EMR systems (it's the law in the US, including requiring an accessible portal for patients); so, if you get immunized at a pharmacy, it will show up on your record, too.

I've also been able to obtain records from providers in other states as long as their provider also used Epic.  When someone tells me they don't remember their last mammogram or Pap, i can often find out within minutes.  Really helpful.

Since every provider has to give patients electronic access, it may be that patients who use different providers from different systems may have to download more than one app; but patients, at least, have a means of accessing all their immunization records.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
24 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Actually, at least in my part of the country, it is progressing towards universal access. 

You are lucky!  Two of my providers are at the same hospital system but their office systems don't share with each other.  And in my rural area, the hospital, women's health center, bone and joint office, and urgent care each have their own that don't share info.  Thus the "on paper and always with me" history.

Ironically, I was teaching the Cerner EMR system at a big hospital conglomerate in Detroit when I retired.

I always laugh when Miss Higgens slides out her little drawers full of information packets.  Reminds me of way we used to search for books in the library.  (I am ancient.)

• Like 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

You are lucky!  Two of my providers are at the same hospital system but their office systems don't share with each other.  And in my rural area, the hospital, women's health center, bone and joint office, and urgent care each have their own that don't share info.  Thus the "on paper and always with me" history.

Ironically, I was teaching the Cerner EMR system at a big hospital conglomerate in Detroit when I retired.

I always laugh when Miss Higgens slides out her little drawers full of information packets.  Reminds me of way we used to search for books in the library.  (I am ancient.)

I've searched a card catalog or two in my time.  I remember the nuns making us learn which Dewey decimal system prefix went with which type of book.  No idea why they thought it was important.

Back when dinosaurs roamed and I was an OB/GYN resident; our clinic nurses would keep all of the files of pregnant women due in the next month in a rolling file cabinet and, at the end of the day, push it down the hall, onto the elevator and into labor and delivery so we could access those charts quickly at night.  Then, reverse the process in the morning.  Private docs would send practically illegible carbon copies of their OB charts to Labor and Delivery when their patients were term. 

Things have definitely improved since then.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Notabug said:

Actually, at least in my part of the country, it is progressing towards universal access.  The large city where i practice had two competing teaching hospitals which each chose a competing record system, so, if a patient went to one, the other had no access.

However, as the record system chosen by one of them (Epic) has shown itself to be most popular; the other hospital system is in the process of switching to it and I can now, as a practitioner, get patient information from their proividers, too.  Once the transition is complete, I'll be able to obtain virtually the entire chart from the competing provider.  Pharmacies have also adopted EMR systems (it's the law in the US, including requiring an accessible portal for patients); so, if you get immunized at a pharmacy, it will show up on your record, too.

I've also been able to obtain records from providers in other states as long as their provider also used Epic.  When someone tells me they don't remember their last mammogram or Pap, i can often find out within minutes.  Really helpful.

Since every provider has to give patients electronic access, it may be that patients who use different providers from different systems may have to download more than one app; but patients, at least, have a means of accessing all their immunization records.

We are switching to epic in a month and Yale Hospital's Epic and Hartford, another hospital will all connect so you don't have to have multiple accounts. My smaller group, Gyn has a different one but she can log into Epic without a problem.

• Like 2
On 4/2/2024 at 1:00 PM, mmecorday said:

Solid episode. I was praying along with the nuns for Fred's recovery. I'm sure he will do just fine as Madame Mayor's consort. 

I often think that he probably played Freddy in a production of My Fair Lady sometime. I can see him singing "On the Street Where You Live."

• LOL 4
On 4/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, Notabug said:

However, Matthew and Trixie have always been able to communicate with one another and not held big secrets back.  It doesn't make sense that he hasn't shared with her that their financial status is somewhat precarious and asked her to reign in her spending.  Trixie, having grown up really poor, doesn't seem to understand that even wealthier families have to cut corners in times of financial stress and she's not getting his hints about trying to economize.

If he was just honest and direct with her she wouldn't have a problem with it. She would start figuring out what she could do to help. She would completely understand why the sofa isn't possible. The problem is that his hints are not very clear.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:58 AM, Notabug said:

I would so much prefer to see Trixie in a storyline where Matthew shares his concerns about their finances and Trixie, using the smarts and dedication that she's shown in other areas; helps brainstorm a solution or two to get them back on stable ground.  Then, we can see the two of them carrying out the plan, working together to resolve the financial crisis.

For example, realizing that the expensive new sofa isn't in the budget; why not have Trixie with maybe a couple of other midwives and/or Fred decide to re-upholster their old sofa?  It's not much, but it's better than the shopping spree and driving lessons we've gotten so far.

I love this idea. It's vast improvement over what actually aired within the episode.

• Like 3
On 4/6/2024 at 11:23 AM, ML89 said:

Anyone else start wondering when their last tetanus shot was or just me?

I definitely wondered.

On 4/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, Orcinus orca said:

Unfortunately, where I live pretty much everything is being taken over by one hospital system, including many of the physicians' offices.  Yes, it means that records are more easily available for various practices, but the actual quality of services has gone down, especially in terms of office hours being shortened.  I'd rather have to provide info to my different doctors' offices and still have some choice rather than everything being under the Christiana Care umbrella.  At least my dental, eye and orthopedic doctors are separate, but give it time. 😕  And my insurance company will work with Christiana Care; my best friend is not so lucky.

• Like 3
On 4/6/2024 at 11:34 AM, AZChristian said:

At 77, I can't remember s**t, so if a doctor asks me whether I've had a shot for something, I pull out my paper.

Same.  I'm so old I can remember when the doctor kept the records for us and told us when things were due.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm so old I can remember when the doctor kept the records for us and told us when things were due.

Honestly, this was true not so long ago. Twenty years ago, my primary care doctor was still  charting on paper and would let me know. 

• Like 3
On 4/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, AZChristian said:

Have you heard of the TDAP booster? It's a combo of tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. 

Isn’t that the standard “booster”, with all three? You’re supposed to get it every 10 years. After the big COVID vax push, I was able to easily get it at the pharmacy (honestly couldn’t remember when I last had one, but definitely overdue). Gardening is an easy reminder.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Daff said:

Isn’t that the standard “booster”, with all three? You’re supposed to get it every 10 years. After the big COVID vax push, I was able to easily get it at the pharmacy (honestly couldn’t remember when I last had one, but definitely overdue). Gardening is an easy reminder.

Yes, because of the renewed surge in whooping cough, most ER's etc no longer give tetanus alone; they give Tdap.  I think it may be a CDC recommendation.

• Like 2

I forgot to post this earlier. I was surprised how many people were wearing sleeveless dresses to watch the launch from the TV set placed outside. I remember London in the summer at night being a bit too chilly for a sleeveless dress.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I forgot to post this earlier. I was surprised how many people were wearing sleeveless dresses to watch the launch from the TV set placed outside. I remember London in the summer at night being a bit too chilly for a sleeveless dress.

Because I have no life,  I looked it up.  On July 20, the high temp was 76 F and the low was 62F.  So, while they might've gotten a little chilly once night fell, the daytime temps were not incompatible with light summer clothing.

• Useful 5
On 4/9/2024 at 7:23 PM, Notabug said:

Because I have no life,  I looked it up.  On July 20, the high temp was 76 F and the low was 62F.  So, while they might've gotten a little chilly once night fell, the daytime temps were not incompatible with light summer clothing.

Thank you. The sleeveless dresses make much more sense now. They were wearing what they wore during the day and didn't change outfits before going to the viewing party. I find this a highly likely and totally plausible explanation for the sleeveless dresses.

• Like 2