Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

PBS makes episodes available on Passport before they air on PBS. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS. Do not use spoiler tags.

Violet and Matthew are worried about Fred's ability to serve as the mayor’s consort. Later, Fred falls ill after a minor injury. Meanwhile, the Nonnatus team is thrown into turmoil when a newborn baby is diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia.

The first 3 episodes are up!

8 minutes ago, debraran said:

Oh, is it on passport, I must check it out. It's been so hard to find good things to watch.

S13E03: I just finished it and it's amazing; the best episode in years.  

Also, I'm really glad they gave Fred a big role since he's been so tame since he married Violet, and Cliff Parisi did a fantastic acting job.

• Like 18
  • Applause 4
(edited)
Spoiler

I just watched the first one. I liked it a lot, very real, but Trixie seemed "off" and maybe because of all the gossip, I thought the little communication with Matthew seemed stilted.

I am deciding if I should savor them and watch episode 2 tomorrow or binge it. ; )

I like Fred too and also thought the story with Doreen was very well done. This article on her told me a little more about her. https://www.womanandhome.com/life/news-entertainment/who-is-doreen-in-call-the-midwife-who-plays-her-and-how-many-episodes-is-she-in/

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 7:13 PM, Height-Nonchalance said:

Also, I'm really glad they gave Fred a big role since he's been so tame since he married Violet, and Cliff Parisi did a fantastic acting job.

I thought he was good as well.  I really enjoyed everyone rallying for him.  I was a little surprised Violet didn't seem to notice how awful Fred looked before she told him to be at that mayor meeting.  I get she had other things on her mind, but he looked legit terrible. 

I was kind of meh on the model mom.  I couldn't believe her agent was saying they were going to do mother/daughter model shoots when the kid was two weeks old.  Even if the child had been in perfect health, that's just nuts. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 11
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I thought he was good as well.  I really enjoyed everyone rallying for him.  I was a little surprised Violet didn't seem to notice how awful Fred looked before she told him to be at that mayor meeting.  I get she had other things on his mind, but he looked legit terrible. 

I was kind of meh on the model mom.  I couldn't believe her agent was saying they were going to do mother/daughter model shoots when the kid was two weeks old.  Even if the child had been in perfect health, that's just nuts. 

Yes, that one left me cold and having her be so into how something looks, that the device meant more than the child walking. I do understand her life was more how things look and it was "real" because it could have happened for sure. The modeling part, I agree was silly.

I thought Fred's illness was well done, that was and is a scary disease. I always say if in doubt of when you had shot last, get it.

Maybe it's me but it still seems Trixie is not really engaged as a character yet. Maybe they are waiting or were writing episodes for her when the contract issues were straightened out.

• Like 2

This felt like classic Call the Midwife. I was holding my breath and trying not to cry. I just kept saying "they better not kill Fred". I think Sis. Monica Joan's reaction was the one that got to me, he's the only one that get her to do anything. I was glad to see Violet get back in the mayoral race.

I think there's just too many characters this season. We got 4 new trainee midwives but they've only focused on one, and this episode gave her roommate a little more to do.

It just may be time for Trixie to go, she's an OG midwife and has had some great stories, but maybe her stories are all told. Watching her learn to drive or buy a sofa is just not engaging.

The model mom storyline was not good. May have come off better in the unedited version of the episode? I'll be curious what was cut out.

• Like 7

Good point about the editing for US. I was surprised when someone on FB put all the deleted scenes in (and a couple of pics) one year and some meant something and helped explain the reaction of the character. Sometimes it doesn't but with a show like CTM I wish we could get it all.

• Like 5

Deleted scenes:

Spoiler

After Sr. Julienne says of course, she adds that Nurse Clifford can take her to Miss Higgins at the desk.  Rosalind says they were having a boring morning until she came in. Gillian says she was never a run of the mill baby and this one will be an original too.  Sr. Julienne reminds Rosalind that Gillian will need her shoes.

Dr. Turner asks if they should let the pupil midwives observe tomorrow.  She says the more they observe, the more they learn.

After Matthew tells Trixie he's always happy for fish and chips instead of her cooking, she says they need the time to pick out a new sofa.  Matthew points out the Barbican apartment they are moving to won't be ready for months yet and she says good sofas can take as long as flats to build.  He asks if this is going to require looking at brochures, she says no, only one magazine and that she has left in the parlor but she is going to get it.

After Matthew speaks to violet, the scene switches to Gillian who has come to the maternity home with her husband and several changes of clothes.  He asks about clothes hangers and Nancy tells them that she doesn't need them as she will only be there for the morning. Gillian says a woman should always think about her appearance,  She compliments Nancy on her lovely skin and says that smoky blue eyeshadow will bring out her eyes.

After Trixie attends to Fred, we switch back to the maternity home where the pupil midwives watch as Shelagh tries to turn Gillian's baby; it keeps turning back on her.Dr Turner apologizes as she will have bruising tomorrow.

Violet asks Matthew if he is still interested in being a councilor.  He says that he is too busy with his father's estate.  She says she hopes he changes his mind as she believes he can do a lot of good.

Joyce and Rosalind are at the allotment; they're both wearning sunglasses; Rosalind has a book, and Joyce is smoking.  Rosalind says that the classes are so old-fashioned and Joyce she wuuld like to teach one on postnatal exercises.  Rosalind says she would like to do a class for the poorer mother. Nancy arrives with the smoky blue eyeshadow and asks for their honest opinion.  Joyce says she looks like she walked into a door, but Rosalind says there's nothing wrong with defying convention and that Princess Anne does it all the time with her hats.  Nancy says she's going to take the shadow off right now.

Right after Rosalind tells Gillian, they're going to get her walking, Dr Turner peeks in and asks if Mr.Baxter can come in as he's looking lonely in the waiting room.  Gillian says no, she dosn't want anyone else in the room.

The scene switches to Nonnatus House where Trixie is asking Joyce if she can take the used equipment to the autoclave. She then apologizes for what she's about to do and that she usually tries to avoid it  joyce asks if it's about making personal calls. Trixie says no, this.  Then she picks up the phone and introducing herself as Lady Aylward she asks to speak to the manager. She needs them to open the store after hours for her.

After the scene of Phyllis telling Gillian she will be accomaphyting her and Stephanie to the hospital, we switch to Matthew and Trixie at Harrod's.  She is asking him to try out the sofas.  He tells her whatever he couldn't articulate about the first sofa, the second one is worse.  She asks why he circled them in the magazine and he says he didn't because he doesn't use crayon.  They realize it was Jonty and Trixie she's relieved as she thought he must have developed terrible taste  She then stretches out on a different sofa and points out you can lie down on it. He sits down next to her and goes to kiss her but stops.  She asks him why and he says he just saw the price tag.

• Like 5
Spoiler

So much talk online about how CTM is reducing Matthew by sending him to US with son.  

Sounds like a jerk now but I never liked the pairing at all.  Many did though. Such a waste of a storyline.They also seem to be making Trixie beyond superficial with money etc. We know how she is, we don't need to hear about it all the time. I look forward to seeing episode 4 when I can.

One of many articles if you don't care about knowing ahead of time. https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/call-midwife-matthew-tragedy-olly-rix-exit-newsupdate/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, purist said:

@debraran you might want to put spoiler tags on your post?

I almost did but it said above not to do that. If you were on this page it was for people who could see Passport. Was that a misprint?

On 3/2/2024 at 6:10 PM, chitowngirl said:

PBS makes episodes available on Passport before they air on PBS. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS. Do not use spoiler tags.

Violet and Matthew are worried about Fred's ability to serve as the mayor’s consort. Later, Fred falls ill after a minor injury. Meanwhile, the Nonnatus team is thrown into turmoil when a newborn baby is diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I almost did but it said above not to do that. If you were on this page it was for people who could see Passport.

I don't think the episode where

Spoiler

Matthew goes to New York

has aired in the USA yet?

• Like 1

Oh, I'm not sure, I had to stop at 4. I've read so much about the show on FB, I seem to know the entire run. I'll double check before I write, should have just left the link without the info if someone wants to look. I don't mind info but some might.

Wow, what an awesome episode!  I confess I was afraid Fred would be gone by the end.  He really did a good job with looking like he was close to death.  Shed a few tears, I admit.

Reggie is just adorable.

I kind of hoping that modeling agent would think outside the box and do photos of the baby in her brace.   I guess that would have been too forward thinking for the 60s but what a nice example to show every baby is perfect in its own way and something like a brace doesn't make them any less so.

Violet - you go girl!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

@debraran - spoiler tags are not necessary for events that happened in this episode if people watch it on Passport streaming before it airs on PBS. What purist referenced under the spoiler tag happens in a future episode and should be put under a spoiler tag in your post. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

This was a good episode! I hadn’t gotten teary eyed so many times in a long while with this show.  Poor Fred. Glad he was ok. 

Happy for Violet winning over that pompous ass. 
They really edit a lot out! Honestly anything with Trixie is getting boring! Although she was so good handling the Fred situation and comforting Violet. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 9

Oddly, I didn’t feel anything about Fred; I figured he has regular character protection. Even more oddly, I did feel in ep 1 that Fred might be killed off soon, but I was certain it wasn’t going to be in this episode.

Typical that a woman with ambition thinks she has to give it up because her family has needs. A man running for mayor would rarely do that. (There are huge parallels in my real life with this, so ti really hit home.)

How weird that the public doesn’t vote for the mayor. Only a current councillor can be mayor? Strange.

I felt for Gillian and didn’t think she was shallow. Her whole life is about her appearance, so of course she’s going to be concerned about that. Her income and self worth are tied in her good looks, which would be even more prevalent in those times. It was stupid of the modelling agency woman telling her she couldn’t model herself anymore just because she had the baby. But again, the times that were. The good old days, right?

Speaking of looks and shallowness, I’m tired of them portraying Trixie as some sort of mindless shopping addict. Yes, she’s always been stylish, but she’s also been thoughtful and nice. This “carpe diem” buy-the-expensive-sofa-against-her-husband’s-wishes Trixie is annoying and out of character.

Still, I love this show and look forward to learning more about the new team members.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

How weird that the public doesn’t vote for the mayor. Only a current councillor can be mayor? Strange.

That's how it works in many smaller cities in the US (and even some larger ones.) The mayor position often rotates among the council members, but there's no direct election of the mayor by the public.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
On 3/6/2024 at 4:26 PM, Badger said:

Deleted scenes:

Reveal spoiler

After Sr. Julienne says of course, she adds that Nurse Clifford can take her to Miss Higgins at the desk.  Rosalind says they were having a boring morning until she came in. Gillian says she was never a run of the mill baby and this one will be an original too.  Sr. Julienne reminds Rosalind that Gillian will need her shoes.

Dr. Turner asks if they should let the pupil midwives observe tomorrow.  She says the more they observe, the more they learn.

After Matthew tells Trixie he's always happy for fish and chips instead of her cooking, she says they need the time to pick out a new sofa.  Matthew points out the Barbican apartment they are moving to won't be ready for months yet and she says good sofas can take as long as flats to build.  He asks if this is going to require looking at brochures, she says no, only one magazine and that she has left in the parlor but she is going to get it.

After Matthew speaks to violet, the scene switches to Gillian who has come to the maternity home with her husband and several changes of clothes.  He asks about clothes hangers and Nancy tells them that she doesn't need them as she will only be there for the morning. Gillian says a woman should always think about her appearance,  She compliments Nancy on her lovely skin and says that smoky blue eyeshadow will bring out her eyes.

After Trixie attends to Fred, we switch back to the maternity home where the pupil midwives watch as Shelagh tries to turn Gillian's baby; it keeps turning back on her.Dr Turner apologizes as she will have bruising tomorrow.

Violet asks Matthew if he is still interested in being a councilor.  He says that he is too busy with his father's estate.  She says she hopes he changes his mind as she believes he can do a lot of good.

Joyce and Rosalind are at the allotment; they're both wearning sunglasses; Rosalind has a book, and Joyce is smoking.  Rosalind says that the classes are so old-fashioned and Joyce she wuuld like to teach one on postnatal exercises.  Rosalind says she would like to do a class for the poorer mother. Nancy arrives with the smoky blue eyeshadow and asks for their honest opinion.  Joyce says she looks like she walked into a door, but Rosalind says there's nothing wrong with defying convention and that Princess Anne does it all the time with her hats.  Nancy says she's going to take the shadow off right now.

Right after Rosalind tells Gillian, they're going to get her walking, Dr Turner peeks in and asks if Mr.Baxter can come in as he's looking lonely in the waiting room.  Gillian says no, she dosn't want anyone else in the room.

The scene switches to Nonnatus House where Trixie is asking Joyce if she can take the used equipment to the autoclave. She then apologizes for what she's about to do and that she usually tries to avoid it  joyce asks if it's about making personal calls. Trixie says no, this.  Then she picks up the phone and introducing herself as Lady Aylward she asks to speak to the manager. She needs them to open the store after hours for her.

After the scene of Phyllis telling Gillian she will be accomaphyting her and Stephanie to the hospital, we switch to Matthew and Trixie at Harrod's.  She is asking him to try out the sofas.  He tells her whatever he couldn't articulate about the first sofa, the second one is worse.  She asks why he circled them in the magazine and he says he didn't because he doesn't use crayon.  They realize it was Jonty and Trixie she's relieved as she thought he must have developed terrible taste  She then stretches out on a different sofa and points out you can lie down on it. He sits down next to her and goes to kiss her but stops.  She asks him why and he says he just saw the price tag.

Aargh. I really hate that they've gone from snipping a second or two here or there to deleting substantial parts of (or entire) scenes. Thank you for your service in letting us know what we're missing, @Badger.

• Like 13

As much as I appreciated the acting Fred (actor) did, I think lately there has been way too much Violet and Fred and not enough midwifing.  I guess the writers are running out of ideas?

I can't be angry at Gillian, what with all those post partem hormones.  Anxiety, frustration, fear, and disappointment are natural.

Yes, the cast is too large this season.  And with more time spent with Violet than the new students, I know nothing about any of them.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, J-Man said:
9 hours ago, Shermie said:

That's how it works in many smaller cities in the US (and even some larger ones.) The mayor position often rotates among the council members, but there's no direct election of the mayor by the public.

That’s a terrible, undemocratic system. The mayor is the face of the community and the community has no say in who it is. 

And in this case, the mayor position is voted on at some random point during the council’s term? Unless I missed that Violet (and the rest of council) was re-elected within the last few weeks, or that the previous mayor died mid-term.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

can't be angry at Gillian, what with all those post partem hormones.  Anxiety, frustration, fear, and disappointment are natural.

Those are valid points but, the character definitely voiced severe fears of hospitals in general. Waited all episode to hear more from her about a traumatic experience (death of a parent or operation gone wrong) but it never came out. I thought she’d share it with Phyllis while they waited, but-nothing. She was so fed up with the doctors/hospital that she refused to even go back to the maternity clinic.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

As much as I appreciated the acting Fred (actor) did, I think lately there has been way too much Violet and Fred and not enough midwifing.  I guess the writers are running out of ideas?

I can't be angry at Gillian, what with all those post partem hormones.  Anxiety, frustration, fear, and disappointment are natural.

Yes, the cast is too large this season.  And with more time spent with Violet than the new students, I know nothing about any of them.

That is a very good point. I get that they are branching out so it isn't just births, but I miss the stories. We had one pregnancy this episode. And while I like Violet and Fred, I feel that they are front and center at the expense of the new midwives. I want to know more about them too. I also think they need another nun! 

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I'd hate to tell you how the British Prime Minister is selected.

Edited by Height-Nonchalance
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I agree about the student nurses. We're three episodes in and I still know next to nothing about them. Joyce stands out for obvious reasons, although I feel like she's basically a substitute for Lucille. Apparently there's a Rosalind, a Kathy and a Norelle. I could not tell you which is which. 

• Like 6
(edited)
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I agree about the student nurses. We're three episodes in and I still know next to nothing about them. Joyce stands out for obvious reasons, although I feel like she's basically a substitute for Lucille. Apparently there's a Rosalind, a Kathy and a Norelle. I could not tell you which is which. 

Yes, but she doesn't behave like Lucille and that has me intrigued. I want to learn more about her. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Height-Nonchalance said:

Any prime minister in a parliamentary system with proportional representation, really. 

• Like 2
On 3/4/2024 at 12:34 AM, txhorns79 said:

I couldn't believe her agent was saying they were going to do mother/daughter model shoots when the kid was two weeks old.  Even if the child had been in perfect health, that's just nuts. 

I don't think the modeling industry has changed much in that respect.

As much as Fred dying would've made sense, given how frequently patients with tetanus do (1-2 people out of every 10 who get it, according to the CDC website), I'm so glad he didn't because he's always been one of my favorite characters.  And Cliff Parisi really deserves a meaty storyline; he was extremely good here.  I knew he was going to get ill after that cut, but didn't think of tetanus until the first muscle spasm hit.  Then it was obvious.

On 3/4/2024 at 5:24 AM, debraran said:

Yes, that one left me cold and having her be so into how something looks, that the device meant more than the child walking.

I didn't interpret her reactions as being entirely about the appearance of the brace.  She seemed pretty upset that her daughter was clearly uncomfortable and thought it was actual pain.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, jah1986 said:

It just may be time for Trixie to go, she's an OG midwife and has had some great stories, but maybe her stories are all told. Watching her learn to drive or buy a sofa is just not engaging.

Honestly, I thought last season should've been her last.  Marrying Matthew would've given her a good exit storyline.  Logically she wouldn't still be working at the same level in the same district for so many years.  I definitely think it's time for Trixie to be moving on, as much as I like the character.

12 hours ago, Shermie said:

This “carpe diem” buy-the-expensive-sofa-against-her-husband’s-wishes Trixie is annoying and out of character.

I don't think it's out of character for Trixie at all.  I just think in previous seasons we saw more of her doing other things so it wasn't so obvious.

• Like 8

I thought  we were going to lose Fred, we both did. I was so happy  when they said  he was going  to be okay.

The model story wasn't  very good, namely because  of her acting.Her husband  looked more like a younger  brother. 

I'm glad to see Violet be lovey dovey,  when it was most needed, Reggie was very subdued  through  most of the episode. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Shermie said:

That’s a terrible, undemocratic system. The mayor is the face of the community and the community has no say in who it is. 

And in this case, the mayor position is voted on at some random point during the council’s term? Unless I missed that Violet (and the rest of council) was re-elected within the last few weeks, or that the previous mayor died mid-term.

The public elects the councillors, knowing that one of them will be mayor at some point. It's not like they have no say at all in who it could be.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I think Matthew doesn’t have as much money as Trixie seems to think he does.

It takes a lot of funding to improve all of the properties his father neglected for so long. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
On 3/26/2024 at 6:43 PM, Orcinus orca said:

Wow, what an awesome episode!  I confess I was afraid Fred would be gone by the end. 

When Violet had her breakdown terrified that she thought he would die, I knew he was going to live. If the intent was to kill him off, we would have been hearing about how everything was status quo, and he was "doing as well as could be expected" then he would have had a sudden and dramatic turn for the worst closer to the end of the episode.

TV writing is too predictable. Writers apparently all go to the same school, and only know one way for handling the melodrama.

• Like 4

At least CTM is better than some medical dramas, in which a staff member has a personal crisis, and a patient is promptly admitted whose condition is relevant to that crisis.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Height-Nonchalance said:

I’m well aware how the parliamentary system works. The leader of the party with the most seats becomes PM. Those who vote for that party know who the leader will be. 

4 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

think Matthew doesn’t have as much money as Trixie seems to think he does.

This. I think his father left him with a financial mess and he’s not really wealthy anymore, hence his concern over Trixie’s choices. Makes one wonder about the future of Nonatus House; isn’t he financing it somewhat?

• Like 7
On 4/1/2024 at 12:01 PM, proserpina65 said:

I don't think the modeling industry has changed much in that respect.

As much as Fred dying would've made sense, given how frequently patients with tetanus do (1-2 people out of every 10 who get it, according to the CDC website), I'm so glad he didn't because he's always been one of my favorite characters.  And Cliff Parisi really deserves a meaty storyline; he was extremely good here.  I knew he was going to get ill after that cut, but didn't think of tetanus until the first muscle spasm hit.  Then it was obvious.

I didn't interpret her reactions as being entirely about the appearance of the brace.  She seemed pretty upset that her daughter was clearly uncomfortable and thought it was actual pain.

Honestly, I thought last season should've been her last.  Marrying Matthew would've given her a good exit storyline.  Logically she wouldn't still be working at the same level in the same district for so many years.  I definitely think it's time for Trixie to be moving on, as much as I like the character.

I don't think it's out of character for Trixie at all.  I just think in previous seasons we saw more of her doing other things so it wasn't so obvious.

I vaguely remember them talking to her fiance about the size of her engagement ring. I thought that was tacky, that she would "need" a certain size. She's not a nun or taking vows of poverty but they certainly started making her very shallow.

There's a lot of gossip about the 2 of them outside the show, I don't read the articles but see headlines. I did notice they both are breaking up with spouses/girlfriends and although that's their business, I wonder if something sparked a talk with the producers. I can be completely wrong but they not wanting to renew the contract after such a big hullabaloo about the wedding, seemed strange. I agree with proserpina65 that if they wanted to write them off last season, the wedding and moving would have been fine.

Spoiler

There's not chemistry (on set) with them to me and even with his son, Trixie doesn't seem motherly at all. No one even asked who is taking care of him in NY? So odd.  I really wish they went the "happily ever after route"

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jschoolgirl said:

Please put things that have not appeared yet in spoiler tags!

When discussing an episode that has aired, spoiler tags are not required. Since S13;E3 ran last night we are free to discuss all of it. 

If discussing something in a future episode that has not aired or is viewable on Passport, spoiler tags are required.

• Like 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

When discussing an episode that has aired, spoiler tags are not required. Since S13;E3 ran last night we are free to discuss all of it. 

If discussing something in a future episode that has not aired or is viewable on Passport, spoiler tags are required.

jschoolgirl is referring to things in some of debraran’s posts that happen in future episodes as well as an article that was posted that has spoilers in the title….

Spoiler tags were requested some time ago.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 4

Loved how Miss Higgins took care of Reggie when Fred first became ill. Later she helped him with the garden.  She is bossy sometimes, but she really was helpful and kind this episode.  Another character that has grown personality wise.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Loved how Miss Higgins took care of Reggie when Fred first became ill. Later she helped him with the garden.  She is bossy sometimes, but she really was helpful and kind this episode.  Another character that has grown personality wise.

I was hoping Miss Higgins got to see the "cop" again she liked but he got sick. They were cute together.

17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I agree, with the hullabaloo of the wedding, it would have been a perfect exit. I have to believe something happened too late and it wasn't planned to have the chaos now. Sad but I just minimize that part of the show and concentrate on the others.

• Like 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Shermie said:

I’m well aware how the parliamentary system works. The leader of the party with the most seats becomes PM. Those who vote for that party know who the leader will be. 

This. I think his father left him with a financial mess and he’s not really wealthy anymore, hence his concern over Trixie’s choices. Makes one wonder about the future of Nonatus House; isn’t he financing it somewhat?

I think that is what happened.  Matthew's father managed the family business into the ground, which might be why he was cutting so many corners and owning such rundown properties before he died.  It seems like Matthew didn't understand the extent of the financial woes of the company, hence, his crusade to renovate properties as well as the huge financial commitment to Nonnatus.  You'd think, since he was clearly going to inherit the business that his father would've made sure he was better informed; but it seems to have hit him like a ton of bricks recently that the family isn't nearly as wealthy as everyone thinks.

However, Matthew and Trixie have always been able to communicate with one another and not held big secrets back.  It doesn't make sense that he hasn't shared with her that their financial status is somewhat precarious and asked her to reign in her spending.  Trixie, having grown up really poor, doesn't seem to understand that even wealthier families have to cut corners in times of financial stress and she's not getting his hints about trying to economize.  Then again, she continues to work full time at a demanding job, it's not like she's sitting home eating bon bons while he works.  She was certainly able to be frugal while she was single, I'd imagine she'd be perfectly fine with tightening her belt for the family.

The writing for both Trixie and Matthew seems off this season.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 11
22 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

The model story wasn't  very good, namely because  of her acting.Her husband  looked more like a younger  brother. 

I thought the same thing about the husband, he looked way too young!

18 hours ago, Driad said:

At least CTM is better than some medical dramas, in which a staff member has a personal crisis, and a patient is promptly admitted whose condition is relevant to that crisis.

Hmm. You aren't by any chance referencing Grey's Anatomy now are you?

2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Then again, she continues to work full time at a demanding job, it's not like she's sitting home eating bon bons while he works.  She was certainly able to be frugal while she was single, I'd imagine she'd be perfectly fine with tightening her belt for the family.

The writing for both Trixie and Matthew seems off this season.

Yeah, this is weird. If Trixie thinks she's Lady of the Manor why is she still working? She strikes me as someone who would have quit her job the split second after saying "I do." 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Matthew and Trixie have always been able to communicate with one another and not held big secrets back.  It doesn't make sense that he hasn't shared with her that their financial status is somewhat precarious and asked her to reign in her spending. 

However, this is still the 1960s and managing the finances isn't "woman's work" or even shared responsibilities in the majority of households. She may only be responsible for an "allowance" (I cringe every time I hear Lucy Ricardo use that word with Rickie) for food and other traditionally female household roles.

• Like 2