Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Ants On A Log And A Cheating Winker

• Start Topic

(edited)

Missy steps up, Mary has a surprise for George, and Sheldon finds his dorm occupied, on YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, March 7 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

Edited by DanaK
(edited)

Mary:  I’ll crochet that on a pillow.  I’m probably the least crafty person in the world, but as far as I know, you embroider or needlepoint on a pillow, not crochet. Sorry, back to the show. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

They really retconned it. I don’t know whether to be relieved or pissed.

It was nice to see Mary make an effort with Missy. And cut loose.

• Like 11
  • Angry 1

On wow. They went there. I can't believe my joke last week about Mary bringing back props from Germany became real. I don't know how I feel about this.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

All the predictions about George and Sheldon’s knocking are fulfilled.

There are still unexplained scenarios, but you can tell the end approaches

• Like 11
16 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Germany really loosen up Mary.

I don't care if it is a retcon or not, I am glad that Sheldon was wrong.

Yeah, but it makes me feel bad for Sheldon. For all that time, he believed the worst about his father. He had been emotionally scarred by the sight of his dad with who he thought was another woman, bolstered by the memories of all those fights. That probably made his grieving a lot more complicated than it needed to be. If he ever found out the truth, it was only after years later, and by then, George was long gone, and the damage had already been done.

Upon reflection, it’s in character that Sheldon would be fooled by Mary in a wig and accent. We all know he’s not the most emotionally intelligent person; he still has trouble with sarcasm and can’t read the room to save his life. Not to mention he’s already admitted that he sees his childhood memories differently now that he’s a parent.

So…not as egregious as the infamous How I Met Your Mother twist, or a certain other show I will not mention. Maybe I can live with it.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

I'm kind of happy about this twist, but who's the "mistress" who tried to win Sheldon over? Are they going to have Brenda (or another woman) give Sheldon a gift and he just mistook her intentions?

• Like 10
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

I'm not a fan of the retcon, but I saw it coming. Considering all the other references Sheldon made to his father's girlfriends, it just doesn't satisfy. But I know it made a lot of others happy.

I know a lot of people hate Mary, but I loved seeing her wake up to breakfast made and chores done. I know it made her feel displaced, and I find that understandable, but I feel it really highlighted how much she did for her family and how little help and appreciation she got before. 

Did not care for Mandy snapping "NO!" at Sheldon when he wanted his room back. It's not your house lady. I'm generally neutral leaning toward sympathetic to Mandy (she didn't make awesome choices, but Georgie lied to get the ball rolling). But that was just out of line.

I did enjoy seeing Sheldon bonding (in as much as he can bond) with the kid in his dorm.

George should let Mary be Team Mom. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Me me me me!

For however many long years, this was exactly how I explained Sheldon's claim to have seen George with another woman.

🤸🏾‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸‍♀️

Shape you deserve the trophy! 🏆  I was with you on this if you remember.  I knew Sheldon would see George in a situation with either Mary or another woman that he misinterpreted and your theory sounded like the most plausible way they'd do that!

I caught it as soon as Mary appeared in the costume and wig.  I paused the screen, looked at my husband and told him exactly what was coming next!

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I'm glad that they retconned the affair.  Mary was a lot of fun this episode between the role play and her interactions with the football team (the sled had me cracking up).

I did feel bad for Sheldon losing his bedroom.  In regards to his dorm room, were there two beds in the room or only one bed?  I didn't mind the roommate (I hope we learn his name in a future episode), but I was sort of hoping that 

Spoiler

Tam

would have been the roommate.  I enjoyed his bonding over video games with his dorm neighbors in the past, so I enjoyed his bonding with his roommate.  I was a bit surprised that he didn't comment about Sheldon being younger than him, or a small comment about someone telling him about the student that was in his room last year ("you must be that weird kid that was here last year").  

Missy will always be my favorite character on this show.  I'm glad that she opened up to Mary after her boyfriend broke up with her.

• Like 11
16 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm kind of happy about this twist, but who's the "mistress" who tried to win Sheldon over? Are they going to have Brenda (or another woman) give Sheldon a gift and he just mistook her intentions?

She'd have to be a woman with a German accent.  If they do go to that extent it would be funny but implausible.  Maybe they'll just leave that part out altogether.  They at least adhered to show canon to this extent and that's enough for me.  

2 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I'm glad that they retconned the affair.  Mary was a lot of fun this episode between the role play and her interactions with the football team (the sled had me cracking up).

Maybe this is the start of Mary's changeover into someone more relaxed and less rigid.  We can only hope.

• Like 8
20 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

If this was in the earlier BBT seasons, I wouldn’t be surprised if the writers decided to forget about that.

• Like 6
  • Angry 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Me me me me!

For however many long years, this was exactly how I explained Sheldon's claim to have seen George with another woman.

🤸🏾‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸‍♀️

For the record, that was not a rhetorical question. I knew at least one person had said it!

I know Mandy and her mom don't get along, but wouldn't staying with her parents be better than this overcrowded house?

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
3 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I did feel bad for Sheldon losing his bedroom.  In regards to his dorm room, were there two beds in the room or only one bed?  I didn't mind the roommate (I hope we learn his name in a future episode), but I was sort of hoping that 

Reveal spoiler

Tam

would have been the roommate.  I enjoyed his bonding over video games with his dorm neighbors in the past, so I enjoyed his bonding with his roommate.  I was a bit surprised that he didn't comment about Sheldon being younger than him, or a small comment about someone telling him about the student that was in his room last year ("you must be that weird kid that was here last year").  

Missy will always be my favorite character on this show.  I'm glad that she opened up to Mary after her boyfriend broke up with her.

I was wondering if there were 2 beds, also.

I don't see why that's a spoiler; he's a character from this show.

I also wondered if the roommate had any clue how young Sheldon is.

I expected Mary to at least say (about Taylor): "wasn't he gay"?

• Like 6
(edited)
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I expected Mary to at least say (about Taylor): "wasn't he gay"?

Mary had her own wild-child days. I'm sure she's not that gullible.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 8
  • Wink 3
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

That works.
Or maybe George and Mary decide to continue their written correspondence to keep the romance going, and Mary signs them "Helga" (or whatever her fake name was) and somehow Sheldon comes to think "Helga" is giving him gifts based on some content of a letter — like Christmas presents from "Santa." 

I am very happy with the plot hole filling thus far. 

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I know Mandy and her mom don't get along, but wouldn't staying with her parents be better than this overcrowded house?

I guess not?🤷🏻‍♀️
But maybe yes, now that Sheldon's back? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8
14 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

did feel bad for Sheldon losing his bedroom.  In regards to his dorm room, were there two beds in the room or only one bed?  I didn't mind the roommate (I hope we learn his name in a future episode), but I was sort of hoping that 

Hide contents

Tam

Wait, isn’t that someone Sheldon already knew (not sure why that’s a spoiler but I’ll respect previous posts)?  Why would they not recognize each other?

7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But maybe yes, now that Sheldon's back? 

I would hope they have a better solution than a 13-year-old child sleeping in the garage (unless he's going to move into the dorm, though I don't think him having a roommate there is a great situation, either).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, isn’t that someone Sheldon already knew (not sure why that’s a spoiler but I’ll respect previous posts)?  Why would they not recognize each other?

There was an article that mentioned he was coming back this season, but didn't say how or which episode he was returning.  It would have been interesting to see him as Sheldon's roommate instead of the unnamed guy that appeared in tonight's episode.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I would hope they have a better solution than a 13-year-old child sleeping in the garage (unless he's going to move into the dorm, though I don't think him having a roommate there is a great situation, either).

Since the garage already has plumbing, it could be transformed into a studio apartment for Georgie, Mandy, and baby. They would still take most meals with the family. And having a second bathroom in the garage would benefit all of them.

• Like 11
(edited)
23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or maybe George and Mary decide to continue their written correspondence to keep the romance going, and Mary signs them "Helga" (or whatever her fake name was) and somehow Sheldon comes to think "Helga" is giving him gifts based on some content of a letter — like Christmas presents from "Santa." 

I was thinking that too.  It would be reminiscent of Bernadette having to dress up as a Catholic school girl for Howard whenever she had to apologize for something only in this case it would be to keep the romance fires burning!

She may also actually dress up as Helga again for that purpose too!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I understand this is Texas circa 1993, so CPS would probably not care that much but I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to send the 13-year-old to live in the garage. Now that Mary and Sheldon are home, Georgie and Mandy need to figure out their housing. Mary and George are first and foremost responsible for housing Sheldon and Missy. Georgie and Mandy are now adults and responsible for housing themselves and their child.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I loved how Mary was not surprised at all that Taylor was not gay after all.  I was wondering last week why Mary didn’t bat an eye at reading about Missy’s gay friend, but yeah, it makes total sense. She knew.

Sheldon would never say “it brought what’s-his-name and I closer together.”  He would have used “me”.

• Like 9
  • Love 3
(edited)
52 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

But then wouldn't she have said something to George when she was in Germany and he told her that Missy was hanging out with Taylor?  Especially after Georgie's carelessness with Mandy? 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

@shapeshifter, I found your post from way back in January of 2022 where you made this exact prediction about what was going to happen to rescue George from being a cheater.  (For anyone who wants to see the post just click on the arrow in the upper right hand corner of this box):

Credit where credit is due!!!

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, shura said:

Sheldon would never say “it brought what’s-his-name and I closer together.”  He would have used “me”.

Haha after I already well actually’d on the crochet thing, I hesitated to point that out, but, yeah. 

• Like 8
(edited)

How did Sheldon get to campus? Is there a bus?

I liked this episode.

Mary on the sled was awesome. 

I was worried she would take offense and turn off to George when he explaine dhe didn't want her at the practices. Was glad she didn't.

I don't think it was germany that loosened her up. I think it was the love letters they exchanged.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Just curious: do most individuals consider using video game cheat codes “cheating”?

Probably theoretically yes per endless discussions in forums.  But they are in standalone games that a single player plays - not multiplayer online games - so nobody cares really.  I "cheat code" getting rid of the rain in one game all the time.  I hate getting wet even if just virtually, haha.

But Sheldon's character would absolutely be against "cheat codes" even to get out of the rain.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

I"m OK with the retcon as I've always viewed this as a separate show. However, I'm calling it a retcon. I, in no way, shape or form, believe BBT Sheldon is stupid enough to not know his own mother's voice, even with a fake accent.  Plus, as others have mentioned, the action figure, etc.  

Although, within this show, I find it hard to believe that Sheldon wouldn't confront George over cheating on his mother.  He had to spend a night at Tam's to get away from the secret when he didn't even know what the secret was.  Even adult Sheldon is terrible at keeping secrets.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

And now Mary is a beer snob.

Mr. Chat had a German boss for a few years, and he would say that American beer is "piss water."  I'm not surprised that Mary turned her nose up at it after tasting the beer in Germany.  FWIW, I don't like any kind of beer, so I don't know if his assessment is accurate or not!!

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I, in no way, shape or form, believe BBT Sheldon is stupid enough to not know his own mother's voice, even with a fake accent.  Plus, as others have mentioned, the action figure, etc.  

Okay, when did we hear about the action figure story in the BBT? I don’t remember it and I know it wasn’t the same episode as Sheldon recounting the walking-in on his dad story to Penny. Like I said, if it was just some random anecdote Sheldon dropped it in the earlier seasons, then it’s probably been forgotten or ignored.

Ordinarily, I’d agree with you about Sheldon not being dumb enough to be fooled by a wig and an accent, but he only saw a Quick Look at the back of her head before he ran out, and this incident was obviously so upsetting that the normally logical Sheldon couldn’t think clearly. If I squint, I can buy that because like I said before, Sheldon’s emotional intelligence leaves a lot to be desired, and he can be Grillo or in certain circumstances.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Although, within this show, I find it hard to believe that Sheldon wouldn't confront George over cheating on his mother.  He had to spend a night at Tam's to get away from the secret when he didn't even know what the secret was.  Even adult Sheldon is terrible at keeping secrets.

Agree on that. Maybe it’s a measure of how traumatizing what he thought he saw was. Maybe you can chalk it up to him wanting to protect his mother; he was able to keep his mouth shut about Penny thinking about dumping Leonard because he was concerned about not wanting his friend to get hurt. But if we see Sheldon acting colder to George in upcoming episodes, then I guess we’ll know.

• Like 8

It bugged me that Sheldon didn't make himself earplugs out of tissue. He should be able to design plugs that would reduce that high frequency squalling to acceptable levels.

Likewise, he should have 'tattled' to the RA when he found someone in his room.

4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Just curious: do most individuals consider using video game cheat codes “cheating”?

Cheat codes are created to help testers get to the part of the game that needs to be tested without having to fight their way through everything before that. If you can't play without cheat codes, you have no skillz.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ordinarily, I’d agree with you about Sheldon not being dumb enough to be fooled by a wig and an accent, but he only saw a Quick Look at the back of her head before he ran out, and this incident was obviously so upsetting that the normally logical Sheldon couldn’t think clearly.

Before he opened the door, he heard his dad say "Helga", so he already assumed it was another woman.  He said something about seeing his dad with his pants/underwear dropped, so chances are he didn't see much of his mom.  I'm assuming George would've blocked his view, depending on, um, positions and all.  😜  Sheldon is so naive about everything, so the thought of 2 people role-playing goes right over his head!

I'm wondering if writers & TPTB of this show saw all of the negative feedback about George & Mary's marital problems.  It certainly weighed the show down for me and made it quite depressing.  It's as if they slammed on the brakes on that storyline and went in this direction.  Of course, this could've been the plan all along.  Either way, I'm glad to see Mary & George happy again!

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

We all said it.

They retconned the affair.

While I really like this version of George and Mary I kinda wish they didn't. Not a popular opinion and I know it would end the series on a bit of a downer, but there, I said it😎

And I just happened to catch the episode where Leonard and Sheldon are playing Wii archery. He makes a comment about his parents marriage imploding and the woman dives into religion and the man dives into a bottle blonde bartender who tries to buy his love with action figures

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I"m OK with the retcon as I've always viewed this as a separate show. However, I'm calling it a retcon. I, in no way, shape or form, believe BBT Sheldon is stupid enough to not know his own mother's voice, even with a fake accent.  

Despite his "Vulcan hearing" Sheldon was hearing that accent through a closed door and it was asking George when his wife will get home. That plus seeing the wig could throw him off, I'm sure.  Sheldon may be smart about a lot of things but when it comes to human interactions he can be remarkably gullible and short-sighted, and that goes for older BBT Sheldon as well.  He barely knew anything about sexual relationships as an adult much less would he recognize his parents engaging in role playing during sex as a kid.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 13
1 hour ago, mammaM said:

And I just happened to catch the episode where Leonard and Sheldon are playing Wii archery. He makes a comment about his parents marriage imploding and the woman dives into religion and the man dives into a bottle blonde bartender who tries to buy his love with action figures

Can you make the episode specifically?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Can you make the episode specifically?

I had to use "the google"😂😂, it's S4E20, The Herb Garden Germination.😎

• Like 2
  • Useful 1