Type keyword(s) to search

The 81st Golden Globe Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

Andra Day and Jon Batiste are the best pairing of the night. Natural!

I love him so much! And her, but especially him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

So here's my thing on the new Box Office category. If you're going to award a movie simply because it made a ton of money there shouldn't even be nominations. It should automatically go to the one that made the most money. Which removes the whole point of it being a competitive category. If they want to start doing a special award to the biggest box office movie, then sure as that's got precedent, but don't treat it like you do Best Actor or Best Picture. Yes I love Barbie but this shouldn't be a thing.

The new stand up category makes more sense as there's specials released all the time.

I do love Margot's dress.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Andra Day and Jon Batiste are the best pairing of the night. Natural!

Yes to this!  They were comfortable with each other and hilarious.   I loved Andra saying she got her start singing in a strip… and then cutting herself off and squinting at the teleprompter.  I loved them geeking out to each other about video game music. 

• Like 7
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

So here's my thing on the new Box Office category. If you're going to award a movie simply because it made a ton of money there shouldn't even be nominations. It should automatically go to the one that made the most money. Which removes the whole point of it being a competitive category. If they want to start doing a special award to the biggest box office movie, then sure as that's got precedent, but don't treat it like you do Best Actor or Best Picture. Yes I love Barbie but this shouldn't be a thing.

This is why I was hoping Barbie wouldn't win, so at least it would look like the one who wins at the box office isn't the automatic winner. If they decide to keep the award I would drop the Box Office part of the name and jsut say Best Cinematic Experience.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Andra Day & Jon Baptiste look great together! They should work together, if they haven't already & if they have, they should work together more often! 

Love "What Was I Made For?" & "I'm Just Ken," so I'd have been fine if either song won. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The way I'm handwaving this award is that the HFPA looked at the top however-many (seemed like...too many) box office grossers and then...picked the one they thought was the best film? I dunno, it's kinda weird.

• Like 1

I feel like this Box Office Award was like let's nominate all the movies that people went to the theater to see instead of staying home and watching streaming.  Here is your reward lol. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Simu Liu and Issae Rae really want to play those alcoholic roles that normally go to white actors.  Smash that glass ceiling, guys!

Might be the first time road rage was thanked at an awards show!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

The Bear wins Best Comedy and will no doubt cause plenty of "Is it really a comedy, guys?" debate on the internet.  To be fair, Barry also being including really kind of shows how odd the comedy category has become.

• Like 5
(edited)

Cute speech from The Beef writer. I’ll have to watch this.

Isn’t Barry a “dark comedy”? Maybe The Bear is the same? I’ve not seen it.

Edited by pvandal

Simu Liu: “by this, of course, we mean ‘white people roles’ “.  So hilarious!  Loved how the white people roles described were all alcoholics!   Simu and Issa were funny together.

• Like 6

I think the comedy category has been expanded to mean a show with absurd characters/situations, even if just a little, rather than one that fires off joke after joke. 

I love Dua Lipa's necklace. I'll take the fake version for my next birthday please.

• Like 3

Beef wins Limited series. Check

The Bear wins Comedy series. Check.

Now give Succession the win for Drama series and all will be right with the world. 😄

• Wink 1

Figured it was either going to be Giamatti or Wright.  Kind of wanted it to be Damon, so that he would be a two time winner in comedy after his performance in the hilarious romp, The Martian (still love that film, but it being considered a comedy never gets old for me.)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

First time I have laughed tonight — this musical thing with Will F. and Kristin W.  

irritated the living shit out of me! why, why do they feel they must test our patience and insult our intelligence?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

At least May December didn't win Comedy lol. Everyone is joking about that but honestly that movie felt more  like a Lifetime/Soap Opera type thing but with better acting and higher production value. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

A lot of the dresses have had trains tonight. I get the appeal but don't they spend the whole night keeping people from stepping on it?

Lily Gladstone! Oh wow Harrison Ford is DELIGHTED for her. Put them in a movie together.

• Like 6

For some reason, it irritates me when the 'narrator guy' tells me the following information about the winner: 'This is their first nomination and first win' It sounds very redundant. Sure 'This is their 5th nomination and first win' makes sense but surely it would make more sense to say 'They win with their first ever nomination' or something.

• Like 2

That Will Ferrell & Kristen Wiig skit was about as pointless as Holmes & Watson and Wonder Woman 1984. 

Thrilled for Lily Gladstone! Hopefully, she'll get the career she deserves! 

• Like 8

Figured it would be Oppenheimer after all of its acting and directing wins.  We will see if the Oscars go the same way though.  Hasn't in the past but it does feel like the new voting system/members have made things different compared to previous years.

• Like 1

Minus the AWFUL host this a fun show. Good winnes and some nice speeches.  Hopefully I'll see everyone at the Emmys, SAG, and Oscars. Fun having all these Award shows to laugh and cringe about together lol 😆 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Figured it would be Oppenheimer after all of its acting and directing wins.  We will see if the Oscars go the same way though.  Hasn't in the past but it does feel like the new voting system/members have made things different compared to previous years.

Oppenheimer is Nolan's best work but what may sway voters is the general agreement he's overdue. Academy voters love a narrative and that's a classic one.

1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

Hopefully I'll see everyone at the Emmys, SAG, and Oscars.

Emmy's are next week I believe so everyone mark the date!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

What a surprise, Oppenheimer won. Christopher Nolan seems really pretentious to me. I’m happy that he let his female counterpart do the speech though. I really like Emily Blunt so I’m happy she’s in a winner, but the lead actor looks like he’s made of plastic. His face is so smooth and shiny and fake looking.

I’m ticked that Barbie was pretty much shut out. It was bad enough that the movie couldn’t just exist without constantly being paired with and compared to Oppenheimer. 

Too bad the Best Animated Film people weren’t there; it’s such an honour and usually a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Did they think they wouldn’t win? I mean, frickin’ Taylor Swift managed to squeeze this event into her schedule and there was no chance she would win.

The show was awkward and painful for the most part, which is a shame because the GGs used to be my favourite award show. I like the mixing of tv and movies and that there aren’t any “boring” awards (sorry, not sorry).

Terrible host, terrible bits written for the presenters, half the people there looked like they didn’t want to be there. I think they needed a longer cocktail hour before the show or something. 

• Like 6

Giving Barbie the "Box Office" Award was like a Participation trophy & it deserved better, IMO. It was almost as bad as the infamous Oscar Twitter poll for "Best Movie Moment" going to a scene from the "Justice League" Snyder Cut. 

Oppenheimer sweep! I called it! 🥳

• Like 5
(edited)

I knew it wouldn't happen, but I was really hoping James Marsden would win for playing "himself" on Jury Duty.  (It reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's funny bit presenting at the Emmy Awards one year, about how he was nominated multiple times, but never won.  The line was something like "I guess you just didn't think I was very convincing at playing myself.")

Edited by paul4295
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, pvandal said:

Isn’t Barry a “dark comedy”? Maybe The Bear is the same? I’ve not seen it.

Barry? Yes, although I'd say it was less that in its last season.

The Bear could be considered comedic in the first season but I would not say that about its second season.  It's more of a short-length drama with some funny moments. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Random thoughts 

Season 2 of The Bear blew season 1 out of the water, imo—for those who couldn’t get into S1.

Host sucked. Absolutely.

SM people wanted Kerry and Ray to host next year. I want Andra and Jon! 

Also, congrats to Succession and all its winners.

RDJ delivers the best acceptance speeches.

Kevin Costner thought using Tom Cruise’s plastic surgeon was a good idea. He was wrong.

Even Harrison Ford showed up. Hmm.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Shermie said:

What a surprise, Oppenheimer won. Christopher Nolan seems really pretentious to me. I’m happy that he let his female counterpart do the speech though. I really like Emily Blunt so I’m happy she’s in a winner, but the lead actor looks like he’s made of plastic. His face is so smooth and shiny and fake looking.

I’m ticked that Barbie was pretty much shut out. It was bad enough that the movie couldn’t just exist without constantly being paired with and compared to Oppenheimer. 

Too bad the Best Animated Film people weren’t there; it’s such an honour and usually a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Did they think they wouldn’t win? I mean, frickin’ Taylor Swift managed to squeeze this event into her schedule and there was no chance she would win.

The show was awkward and painful for the most part, which is a shame because the GGs used to be my favourite award show. I like the mixing of tv and movies and that there aren’t any “boring” awards (sorry, not sorry).

Terrible host, terrible bits written for the presenters, half the people there looked like they didn’t want to be there. I think they needed a longer cocktail hour before the show or something. 

Re: Cillian Murphy. Never before have I read such a negative description of his stunning bone structure and complexion, never mind his eyes, nor his being referred to as some nameless "lead actor." 

Re: "[P]aired with and compared to 'Oppenheimer'." This was a deliberate move by Margot Robbie as producer:

https://www.slashfilm.com/1463132/oppenheimer-producer-margot-robbie-movie-barbie-release/

She made a bad bet, as it turned out. 

Re: "Best Animated" team's absence. Attendance might have struck them as unseemly, given their acceptance message:

https://deadline.com/2024/01/the-boy-and-the-heron-wins-golden-globe-for-best-motion-picture-animated-1235697769/

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1