Type keyword(s) to search

The 81st Golden Globe Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

Aww, I guess the love for Ryan wasn't "Kenough" to counter the support for Robert Downey Jr.

Haven't seen Poor Things yet, but while I would normally think nothing can be creepier than a scarred Willem Dafoe, Mark Ruffalo with that stache and crazy eyes looked very unnerving!

• Like 2
Just now, kittykat said:

Da'Vine is excellent every time she shows up on Only Murders in the Building so I endorse this win.

That's where I know her from!!! Thank you.

• Like 2

I have no idea who the host is but none of his jokes landed with me. I'm sure it's nerves so I hope he'll get in his groove and improve.

If RDJ keeps giving acceptance speeches like this one everyone will vote for him just for the entertainment. He's fully deserving to be clear but that could make the difference for voters.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Da'Vine is excellent every time she shows up on Only Murders in the Building so I endorse this win.

I’m the exact opposite about her — I was not impressed with her acting style in OMITB or The Holdovers.  But clearly I’m one of the very few who feels that way.  

5 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Oh my.  Da'Vine's dress.

I seriously thought the built-in time delay for language might need to be called into play for wardrobe malfunctions as well.

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I have no idea who the host is but none of his jokes landed with me. I'm sure it's nerves so I hope he'll get in his groove and improve.

His jokes aren’t great but I don’t think the audiences arsey faces are helping his nerves either. 

everyone looks so miserable tonight. I thought this was meant to be the fun awards.

• Like 5

So here's my thing about a red lip. I'm in favor of actors doing it but so many don't let the rest of their makeup, their hair,  and/or their clothes support the red. I love me some Lizzie Olsen but her red lip is completely out of place with the rest of her look. 

None of this actually matters of course but it always catches my attention in a bad way. 

I never saw Beef but they're loving it tonight so congrats.

3 minutes ago, FoundTime said:

I seriously thought the built-in time delay for language might need to be called into play for wardrobe malfunctions as well.

I thought maybe some image cropping might be needed at some point. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

I never saw Beef but they're loving it tonight so congrats.

Me neither, but it's on Netflix so I suppose I should add it to my list.

2 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t think the audiences arsey faces are helping his nerves either. 

True which is why I think they either need no host at all or someone they know the audience already loves. Both options make for a more entertaining evening.

Steven Yeun unintentionally quoting Frozen and then thanking his daughter was really funny. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

His jokes aren’t great but I don’t think the audiences arsey faces are helping his nerves either. 

everyone looks so miserable tonight. I thought this was meant to be the fun awards.

I agree with you.  The audience is giving Jo NOTHING.  I cringed in the monologue, but now I’m feeling sorry for him.  

• Like 5
(edited)

I haven't seen Da'Vine Joy Randolph in many things, but she's great in Dolemite Is My Name. Thrilled for RDJ. Love that he proves he's still capable of playing great roles in movies big & small. 

Jo Koy is kinda cringe but I think that the audience's reaction might be because many were on strike for so long it's taking them a while to loosen up again.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 4

The writing is just so lazy. If you want to tell a Taylor Swift joke, then say something like "HERE we don't blame Taylor on our losses." Like, at least try. 

It seems like it's hard to navigate to the stage, or maybe that's just a measure of how likely they thought someone was to win? I do like seeing who among the celebrities steps up to help a winner out!

• Like 6

I'm late from the red carpet but I absolutely love how Leo insists on standing next to Lily Gladstone at every awards show. Using his popularity for her benefit is something that makes me like him more and is something most wouldn't think to do.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Elizabeth Debicki (sp?) is so tall, even barefoot. I wonder if she took off her shoes for comfort or to not tower over so many people.

• Like 2
(edited)

I guess that's one way to stop The Streep: play Princess Diana!  To be fair, Elizabeth Debicki in general is just awesome, so I'm sure it was more than deserved!

Edited by thuganomics85
Just now, KittyQ said:

Elizabeth Debicki (sp?) is so tall, even barefoot. I wonder if she took off her shoes for comfort or to not tower over so many people.

I think she was wearing flat sandals. At least her feet looked sparkly when she was walking up the stairs.

Incidentally Keri Russell doesn't do nearly enough comedy.

• Like 5

Ray Romano & Keri Russell were funnier in 3 minutes than Jo Joy has been all night. So is Matthew McFadyen, who won for playing a "human grease stain" on Succession.

• Like 11

Screenplay award banter was humorous but sounded more like it was written by AI or through a translation program than studio execs. At least it sounded very like the scam emails I get everyday.

20 minutes ago, pvandal said:

In that red jacket John Krasinski looks one top hat away from being the Ringmaster of this circus.

It looks better on Emily!

• Like 1

Returning to my red lip post, Justine Triet (Anatomy of a Fall) supports her red lip well. I still haven't seen this movie but everything I've heard is great so I need to get on that.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok the writers of the Globes are funnier than the host has been so next year go back to no host and let the writers do their thing.

I think a lot of the jokes he used were from the writers. 

George Lopez & Gabriel Iglesias missed a golden opportunity to shout-out Jeremy Allen White's "It" factor in his Calvin Klein underwear ads. Like "Shameless," Jeremy's second Golden Globe-win proves that he's not just another pretty-EVERYTHING. 🤤🤩