Type keyword(s) to search

The 81st Golden Globe Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Bear wins Best Comedy and will no doubt cause plenty of "Is it really a comedy, guys?" debate on the internet.  To be fair, Barry also being including really kind of shows how odd the comedy category has become.

8 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think the comedy category has been expanded to mean a show with absurd characters/situations, even if just a little, rather than one that fires off joke after joke. 

8 hours ago, FoundTime said:

I feel like "comedy series" now = "any series that is routinely about a half hour long each episode."

Yes. Yes. And yes.
Give us a Dramedy series category already,
so we can at least have something new to bicker about.

• Like 3

I'm not terribly familiar with Jo Koy outside of him being Chelsea Handler's ex, but I do feel somewhat badly for him. These gigs typically come with months of notice and while I think a higher profile comedian could have handled him or herself more deftly, that crowd was just not giving him ANYTHING. Lighten up, folks. 

As soon as they realized they couldn't book a big name, they just should have foregone a host altogether. Lord knows the announcer talked enough for everyone. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
(edited)

It’s the year 2024, and you would think we would have evolved from boobies jokes by now. But no. Especially on a movie that cuts right through those types of jokes. There were a lot of funny, good-natured jokes that can be made about Barbie the movie, but he went for the gross low hanging fruit. I was cringing through the entire monologue. When that sushi joke didn’t land well, and mind you, that’s already the least offensive part, I knew it was going to be a tough 10 minutes.

I’m Filipino so I’m familiar with Jo Koy. His schtick was funny at first, but when he didn’t evolve from making fun of his mom and the Filipino accent, it got old really fast.  His movie Easter Sunday was full of Filipino stereotypes that I didn’t finish the movie.

Yes, he’s not with the “in” crowd, like Kimmel, Fey/Poehler were. And he’s not cool and suave enough to pull of Gervais’ “I don’t give a shit” schtick. But to be an effective host, you gotta mix the jokes with some self-deprecation. It’s what made Amy Schumer’s bit on the three-host Oscars effective. She made fun of herself enough that people can laugh along. Instead, he doubled down by blaming the writers, and saying he didn’t get the gig till late. Blaming others when the jokes didn’t land, regardless of who wrote them, aren’t going to endear you to the crowd any further.

Other than that, there were no major surprises for me. Cillian and Emma seems like they have locked up the major acting categories, unless Lily can make a heck of an awards campaign. Although I can see an upset by the French actress in Anatomy of a Fall. For picture, it seems to be a two-way race between Oppenheimer and KOTFM, with Oppenheimer way ahead. I’m sad that my little-film-that-could, Past Lives, will go home empty handed, although I’m rooting for a writing win for Celine Song.

It feels like a predictable awards season. I don’t see any races that will come down to the wire, ala Cate vs. Michelle last year, or a last minute surprise, ala JLC overtaking Angela Basset by the last two weeks.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 7
27 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

It’s the year 2024, and you would think we would have evolved from boobies jokes by now. But no. Especially on a movie that cuts right through those types of jokes. There were a lot of funny, good-natured jokes that can be made about Barbie the movie, but he went for the gross low hanging fruit. I was cringing through the entire monologue. When that sushi joke didn’t land well, and mind you, that’s already the least offensive part, I knew it was going to be a tough 10 minutes.

I’m Filipino so I’m familiar with Jo Koy. His schtick was funny at first, but when he didn’t evolve from making fun of his mom and the Filipino accent, it got old really fast.  His movie Easter Sunday was full of Filipino stereotypes that I didn’t finish the movie.

Yes, he’s not with the “in” crowd, like Kimmel, Fey/Poehler were. And he’s not cool and suave enough to pull of Gervais’ “I don’t give a shit” schtick. But to be an effective host, you gotta mix the jokes with some self-deprecation. It’s what made Amy Schumer’s bit on the three-host Oscars effective. She made fun of herself enough that people can laugh along. Instead, he doubled down by blaming the writers, and saying he didn’t get the gig till late. Blaming others when the jokes didn’t land, regardless of who wrote them, aren’t going to endear you to the crowd any further.

Other than that, there were no major surprises for me. Cillian and Emma seems like they have locked up the major acting categories, unless Lily can make a heck of an awards campaign. Although I can see an upset by the French actress in Anatomy of a Fall. For picture, it seems to be a two-way race between Oppenheimer and KOTFM, with Oppenheimer way ahead. I’m sad that my little-film-that-could, Past Lives, will go home empty handed, although I’m rooting for a writing win for Celine Song.

It feels like a predictable awards season. I don’t see any races that will come down to the wire, ala Cate vs. Michelle last year, or a last minute surprise, ala JLC overtaking Angela Basset by the last two weeks.

Lily Gladstone won the GG for Drama. She will win the Oscar. 

The upset last year was in Best Actor. 

14 hours ago, FoundTime said:

Emmys are the 15th, I think. Not a big fan of awards shows during the work week, but there you go.

They are the 15th. I don't love when they air on Mondays either but this Sunday is the Critics Choice Awards so I guess Monday was the best bet for the Emmys. I actually almost forgot about Critics Choice. 

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Lily Gladstone won the GG for Drama. She will win the Oscar. 

Yes, I’m aware Lily won the GG for Drama. But from most forecast and odds, Emma still leads the pack. It’s an unconventional role with unconventional acting, and from most accounts, Emma is well-liked within the academy and industry. But Lily would provide the Oscars a nice story too, especially after Michelle’s win last year. 

I do hope Margot gets nominated for Best Actress along with Emma. It’s about time we have more than one comedic performance competing for the top acting prize. The Actor looks dark and grim with Leo, Bradley and Cillian leading the way.

38 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

The upset last year was in Best Actor. 

Was Brendan really an upset? I thought he had it long in the bag early in the season. The GG loss was because of a sexual harrasment issue that Brendan personally had with an HFPA exec. But all other awards after GG, Brendan swept. Poor Colin couldn’t even hack it in BAFTA where you would think the voters would be the most favorable and friendliest to him.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Yes, I’m aware Lily won the GG for Drama. But from most forecast and odds, Emma still leads the pack. It’s an unconventional role with unconventional acting, and from most accounts, Emma is well-liked within the academy and industry. But Lily would provide the Oscars a nice story too, especially after Michelle’s win last year. 

I do hope Margot gets nominated for Best Actress along with Emma. It’s about time we have more than one comedic performance competing for the top acting prize. The Actor looks dark and grim with Leo, Bradley and Cillian leading the way.

Was Brendan really an upset? I thought he had it long in the bag early in the season. The GG loss was because of a sexual harrasment issue that Brendan personally had with an HFPA exec. But all other awards after GG, Brendan swept. Poor Colin couldn’t even hack it in BAFTA where you would think the voters would be the most favorable and friendliest to him.

Austin Butler won GG and BAFTA. Brendan won SAG and Critics Choice. 

"Elvis" had 8 Oscar nominations. "The Whale" wasn't even nominated for "Best Picture." Brendan wasn't the unanimous favorite. 

His Oscar win was simply the flip side of his GG loss. But his sentimental  journey is over now. 

As for Best Actress:

https://variety.com/feature/2024-oscars-best-actress-predictions-1235678121/

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1

IMO, it'll be a fight to the finish for the Best Actress Oscar. Gold Derby (Combined Odds/Rankings) as of today does have Emma Stone as the likely winner, with Lily Gladstone at #2, but Lily is trending upwards while Emma is trending downwards. I think Emma will win the Critics' Choice Award, but as always, there's no Academy overlap there. We'll have to wait until February 24th to see who prevails at the SAGs to at least see what actors think to have any Academy members in the mix.

Gold Derby: Predicted Winners - Oscars Nominations 2024

So you don't have to scroll way down, here's a screenshot of the top 6 in the Best Actress race, effective today, 1/8/24.

Screenshot_20240108_155553_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1
20 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

I have to add my unpopular opinion I could not get into The Bear. I tried because many loved it and it was winning awards but it never clicked for me. 

Me either!  And I did try I didn't give up after one episode but after maybe four or five from the first season I was like "why am I forcing this on myself?".  I didn't find it special and just couldn't deal with all the yelling.  With all the awards I feel like I should try again but I just don't know.  Different strokes. 

• Like 2

Admittedly, I loved The Bear right from its start, but its second season is truly something special, with 3 or 4 outstanding episodes. S2, Ep. 7 "Forks," is probably my favorite television episode of 2023. (Alright, it may be a tie with "Connor's Wedding. 😉)

• Like 6
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Admittedly, I loved The Bear right from its start, but its second season is truly something special, with 3 or 4 outstanding episodes. S2, Ep. 7 "Forks," is probably my favorite television episode of 2023. (Alright, it may be a tie with "Connor's Wedding. 😉)

I think The Bear’s Season 2 far outpaces Season 1 in terms of quality, and ironically, it felt much more cohesive to me despite having more solo character spotlight episodes for most of the season instead of true ensemble pieces.

After seeing Long, Long Time of The Last of Us, I thought it would be really hard to top that TV episode, and that came out in January 2023! But Forks was just amazing on an entirely different level. It made me appreciate Ebon’s character more, and it focused on the misconception about how fine dining can be snobbish and hoity-toity. I’ve been to two well-known fine dining restaurants and they do go way above and beyond excellent service, similar to how they showed it in Forks. That sequence of the service night, to Ebon’s triumphant drive home, to the episode’s quiet climax with its star cameo was just a really well done piece of writing, editing, acting and directing.

6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

So you don't have to scroll way down, here's a screenshot of the top 6 in the Best Actress race, effective today, 1/8/24.

Screenshot_20240108_155553_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This makes me sad that it’s highly probable Greta Lee will be the odd woman out for Actress. And it’s easy to see why - it’s not a very meaty role compared to others, and it’s a very understated and quiet performance in itself. But it would be really nice for her to sneak in, if only to show that such understated performances and roles do have a place in the Oscars if it’s done excellently.

• Applause 1

I’m not sure I have her name right, but how/why does Michelle Yeoh (?)  get away with threatening to hit people (the musician) at this show?  She did it again this year.  I don’t think it’s funny.  She is beautiful and a good actress, but I think this “bit” is wrong.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Thumper said:

I’m not sure I have her name right, but how/why does Michelle Yeoh (?)  get away with threatening to hit people (the musician) at this show?  She did it again this year.  I don’t think it’s funny.  She is beautiful and a good actress, but I think this “bit” is wrong.

I think it’s because she is so closely identified with her martial arts-fighting character, and maybe it was mostly about her aging and being petite and yet still known as a crime fighter superhero? 

So it’s a bit of an inside joke, albeit perhaps in poor taste, especially since not all viewers would be familiar with her role?

I’ve  made such quips about my own diminishing strength that failed to be funny, although not on National television.

I’m not sure if it was supposed to in any way reference the infamous Oscar slap.
Maybe?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Re: Actresses.

1.) Michelle Yeoh, in accepting her Oscar last year, made a wisecrack about the musicians' hustling her off with music at their own risk. Somebody thought it was memorable and funny enough to repeat this year. It was neither. 

2.) Da'Vine played yet another variation on "The Big Black Nurturing Female Domestic," a cinema favorite since "Gone With the Wind." But instead of working for a wealthy White family, she works for several  in the kitchen of a private academy. Just as Octavia Spencer won an Academy Award for "The Help," Da'Vine will win for "The Holdovers."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammy_stereotype

3.) Lily Gladstone. Native American. Instead of one accepting the Oscar for a White man (Marlon Brando), the Academy will seize this unique opportunity to see to it that a NA woman will get to accept her own. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The Academy Awards have always been about more than sheer performance. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

1.) Michelle Yeoh, in accepting her Oscar last year, made a wisecrack about the musicians' hustling her off with music at their own risk. Somebody thought it was memorable and funny enough to repeat this year. It was neither. 

It was the Globes, not the Oscars. The Oscars knew to not play off their first ever Asian winner in a major acting category.

Michelle did apologize to the pianist afterwards and the latter accepted. Although I'm with you, I'd rather they not remind the audience of that last year. There's lots more other material they could have written for her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Best Supporting  Actor:

Realizing that the nominations must be narrowed to five, I yet think that one actor should have made the list, IDC who would then have been dropped!

Given Paul Giamatti is a serious contender  for "Best Actor" awards and did win a GG, IMO a major reason is the actor who shared 90% of Giamatti's screen time, and 9% of the screen without him. His character evinced that maddening, puzzling, and poignant moment of boyish immaturity on the brink of maturity, but not quite there. He accomplishes the feat, more than I think Giamatti's teacher does, at the end of having us wonder what will become of him. 

An actual Deerfield Academy student when chosen to play Angus Tully: Dominic Sessa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Sessa

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1
On 1/7/2024 at 7:41 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I think she was wearing flat sandals. At least her feet looked sparkly when she was walking up the stairs.

Incidentally Keri Russell doesn't do nearly enough comedy.

Keri was great in Waitress.  One of my favorite movies.

• Like 2
On 1/7/2024 at 8:45 PM, ShadowHunter said:

I don't know what Cillian said that got him muted lol. Congrats to him so glad he won. 

Barry Keoghan needs to win something!  So good in The Banshees of Inisherin and was great in Saltburn also. He's got a great future ahead of him.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did Maestro win anything? I haven't seen it yet but I was surprised that it only got (I think) one nomination. 

It did not although it did have several nominations. I can think of at least 4 off the top of my head. 

• Useful 1

I’m rewatching and Jo Koys opening monologue isn’t as bad on rewatch. It’s not great. Some jokes werent great and he should have left the dig at the writers out but a lot of the crowd gave him nothing - Christopher Nolan and Taylor Swift in particular had such shitty reactions to two very tame jokes made at their expense. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I’m rewatching and Jo Koys opening monologue isn’t as bad on rewatch. It’s not great. Some jokes werent great and he should have left the dig at the writers out but a lot of the crowd gave him nothing - Christopher Nolan and Taylor Swift in particular had such shitty reactions to two very tame jokes made at their expense. 

I guess that’s where his inexperience showed. He immediately resorted to blaming others and making excuses (got the gig late). If he adlibbed some kind of self-deprecating joke (“Oppenheimer made the biggest bomb in Hollywood last year, but I’m bombing harder right now…”), chances are the audience would have rallied behind him and appreciated that he’s self-aware enough. It’s what experienced hosts would do. Back when Kimmel or Seth or Tina/Amy were up there, not all their jokes landed with the audience, but they were able to move fast or adlib.

The worst ones were really the Barbie boobs and character actor jokes. To say that Oppenheimer is based on Pulitzer material and reduce Barbie to boobs is exactly what the latter movie is fighting against - serious men = good, women in pink = shallow. So that’s why it’s such a lazy, tired joke. And the character actor one, even if not meant for a specific person, I guess they’re a beloved subset in the industry. Both Helen Mirren and Selena Gomez were clearly seen hanging their heads on the joke.

• Like 3