Type keyword(s) to search

The 81st Golden Globe Awards (2024)

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

What? We are getting a movie about the history of PopTarts? Okay lol 😆 

It's either a movie or the name of his next stand up special. With Gaffigan it can go either way.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Like they'd ever let Ricky Gervais in the building again after what happened the last time he hosted. 😬

What happened? It was hardly worse than the reception they gave Jo Koy. 

So out of all the clips they could have shown for Anatomy of a Fall to represent it for Best Non-English Language film, they choose a scene spoken in English.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Apparently, Gervais pissed off the wrong people with his opening monologue when he hosted several years ago.

AYO, AYO! 👑🥳

Edited by DollEyes

While these intros are mostly amusing, they're reeeeeally long.  Do they not have that many awards to give out tonight? 

• Like 4
Just now, ebk57 said:

While these intros are mostly amusing, they're reeeeeally long.  Do they not have that many awards to give out tonight? 

I assume since they aren't handing out the two lifetime acheivement awards this year, they have lots of time to pad.

• Useful 1

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Kevin Costner wasn't first in line for Barbie.  Really, probably any film the past ten years unless it featured cowboy hats and horses.

Another win for The Bear!  Only Cousin Richie fell short, but he might have better luck at the Emmys since the categories will be split there.

3 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Apparently, Gervais pissed off the wrong people with his opening monologue when he hosted several years ago.

I’m sure he did but he proved popular enough they brought him back three times. The difference with him is that he genuinely couldn’t care less so a shitty reception from the room wouldn’t phase him.

• Like 5
(edited)

Kieran Culkin does it!  Roman beats daddy and older brother for the gold!

Ha, it's like a PG version of Roman.  Right down to starting a war with Pedro Pascal!  Fight, fight!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4
Just now, Thumper said:

Kevin Costner seemed stiff and uncomfortable when he was presenting.

I was gonna say that’s the warmest I’ve seen him come off in years 😂

• LOL 13
1 minute ago, DollEyes said:

He didn't seem too upset to me. His laughing shows that he's a good sport. 😂

I just wanted him to win, that's all. I watched The Last of Us and never could get into Succession, so, vested interest 🥲

• Like 1
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Boy and the Heron over Spider-Verse?  Animated Feature has gotten interesting now.

The first winner I have picked tonight. I let out a loud yes when it was announced and fist pumped just like Florence did. 

• Like 1

Nolan wins and gets that standing ovation.  Yeah, I think there are a lot of people who want him to finally get that Oscar.

Aww, and he has to mention Heath Ledger.  Gone way, way, way too soon.

• Like 5
Just now, ProudMary said:

Yeah, I know it's Miyazaki, but Spider-Man Across the Spider Verse was an astonishing accomplishment in animation. 

I'm wondering if it's a combination of giving an award to the first movie and it's an unfinished story means perhaps people will hold off voting for it because they think, we will wait until the final part. Kinda like what the Academy did with The Lord of The Rings.

I still need to watch Across the Spider Verse though, so my opinion is likely null and void.

• Like 2

Across the Spider Verse was excellent but Intro already won a ton of awards and we've got another excellent Miyazaki movie in the race. In the minds of the voters I see Miyazaki having the edge based on his amazing career and the fact they already gave Intro awards love. No that doesn't make sense but they think this way.

I adore Michelle Yeoh forever and ever.

Oh good Emma Stone's a redhead again.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Man, that was rough.  Possibly one of the roughest openings yet?  That's saying something.

And despite all of the roasting, he plays it safe with Jared Leto of all people?  Leto probably loves being called "Hot Jesus."

Oh, shit, Da'Vine!  I guess the new voting system really is changing things if the arguably lesser known nominee takes it.  Good for her though: heard she was excellent in The Holdovers.

She was great and the movie was my favorite of 2023.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

I probably won't see Poor Things till it hits streaming. 

I may not either but my son said it was so good.

Either Emma's got some "Play me off in 18 seconds?  Fuck that shit!" clout, or they really are worried Michelle Yeoh will kick the entire orchestra's asses.

Cillian Murphy wins it and not just because he looks good in that hat!  Dude is extremely talented as well!

• Like 5

I haven't seen "Poor Things" but I thought Natalie's performance in "May December" was her best since "Black Swan." I really do hope she makes the final 5 at the Oscars. Can we erect an Andrea Riseborough campaign for her? LOL.

I usually love the Golden Globes because there aren’t really any “lesser” categories, they’re all acting or notable awards.  But I’m not feeling it tonight. 

I’ve never heard of this host but he is AWFUL.  He hit rock bottom with the “they served sushi.  I’m Filipino.” non-joke.  What?!

The other awful thing about tonight is the forced/scripted/awkward banter between two random people.  Just get on with it. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I don't know what Cillian said that got him muted lol. Congrats to him so glad he won. 

Was it thanking Christopher Nolan and finally after 6 feckin movies he has an award? I;m watching in Australia via our streaming service and didn't notice any muting, but this is the closest I can think of what would get muted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I was really hoping for Joe Hisaishi to win. True the score to The Boy And The Heron isn't his best, but I want him to be acknowledged by a major American Awards body for his incredible career.