Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E20: Sister Wives Look Back (Special Episode)

altopower
  • Start Topic

Created because the official thread is still locked 10 minutes into the episode.

I really love Meri's comments about "Were you lying then or are you lying now?" about Kody talking about being in love with all his wives.

Maybe I'm the only one watching this after all. I clearly don't have much of a life if I'm watching Kody be a moron on Christmas Eve.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

He loved his wives… but his marriages were all 16 years old or more.  He’d lost the in love feeling.   He fell in love with the new  wife because she was NEW and shiny. This was always going to end in divorce for the other three.   

• Like 23
  • Sad 2

And there goes Robyn, unable to watch the clip with tears in her voice as she unclips the recorder or whatever. 

That family commitment service was all made for TV. I've never heard of a family doing that for no reason. Or really at all.

• Like 20
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, altopower said:

And there goes Robyn, unable to watch the clip with tears in her voice as she unclips the recorder or whatever. 

That family commitment service was all made for TV. I've never heard of a family doing that for no reason. Or really at all.

Why can’t she watch it ….. or is she just being dramatic?

• Like 4
  • LOL 11

So many missing tears from Robyn's "sadness."

One by one, he told the others he didn't want to be in a relationship with them.

And he's so betrayed! The audacity! He can't imagine what went wrong. Oh, he was just acting till Robyn came along! That's it!

Asshat.

Edited by renatae
  • Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5

Kody initially loved the O.G. NOT AT ALL.  I believe him when he said something to the effect of acting out "in love" due to his religion.  Moreover, they had gotten the show and THEY ALL wanted to prove polygamy was a viable familial set up. What a scam, and they're all lying liars who lied.  😉

To this day Janelle is still flapping her gums about either going back to Kootie or even entering another family!  This is after them failing miserably.  😓

Kootie is a narcissist and narcissists only truly love themselves.  Everything else is smoke and mirrors.  🥱

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Kody initially loved the O.G. NOT AT ALL.  I believe him when he said something to the effect of acting out "in love" due to his religion.  Moreover, they had gotten the show and THEY ALL wanted to prove polygamy was a viable familial set up. What a scam, and they're all lying liars who lied.  😉

I've always thought that.  I don't think marriage in their religion is supposed to have anything to do with love, at least not romantic love the way the monogamous world defines it.  After all, if romantic love were a part of it how unrealistic would it be to expect the husband in a polygamous marriage to be equally "fair" to each of the wives?  The heart wants what it wants and will naturally favor and be more "in love" with one wife over the others.  That's why "eros" or romantic love is probably discouraged in their world.  Of course religious sects and cults throw the word "love" around like we all love each other as "family", but familial love and romantic love are two different things.  Kody probably never experienced romantic love in the sense that the non-polygamous world means it until he just happened to fall in love with Robyn.  Although I have to say that after watching this episode it looks to me like he was already "in love" with her when he married her, which he should have known would be fraught with danger.  Or maybe by that point he just didn't care and was following his heart.  But it was irresponsible and unfair to do to the other wives.  But self-centered bastard that he is, he didn't care about them, only himself.

To illustrate what I mean about being "in love" versus just loving someone, I have to go way back to when I was in young and fell in love with my then boyfriend.  After a few months of him saying "I love you" he confessed that while he "loved" me, he was not "in love" with me.  I learned a BIG lesson after that about what that means and learned the signs.  My husband was head over heels for me.  Our friends used to call him "hopeless", LOL.  I had zero doubt that he was "in love" with me.  Kody was probably very convincing and high on his religious messages that made him "love everybody".  It made it easier for him to act the part of someone "in love" because it was supposedly God's will for him to love these women.  So he probably convinced the women of it.  And back then he probably would have thought he was in love with the OG wives.  He was just confused about what that meant by his religious messages.  Until he met Robyn and finally learned the difference for himself.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 7
  • Useful 1

It's truly beyond logic to understand Kody when he is such a raging narcissist plus throw in the other misogynist and religious beliefs he has.  I guess he just can't accept any of what he deems personal failure.  No doubt he never loved his OG wives like he loves Robyn, and they were never as needy, dependent or obedient as she is.  And even in the show we saw some of the issues he had with his wives especially Meri and Christine to a point.  But every marriage has some issues.  We have never really been privy to his life with Robyn, their door is closed off more the other families were.  The wives eventually walked away from the commitment they had, some more easily than others.  But he essentially drove them out and yet his ego just can't  handle or accept he played a major role, the same way he has to blame Christine for the issues he has with his children.  If he isn't revered, adored and needed he is nothing and will not accept any reality no matter how much he sees his part played over and over again even on camera. It's always striking how happy and well Christine, Janelle and Meri look and behave since leaving and moving on.  It's in such sharp contrast to how Kody is living his miserable resentful life. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Robyn intentionally asked dummy not to mention picking out the gown. He intentionally mentioned it knowing it would hurt the others.

He really did look like he loved all of the others in the beginning. I don't think that was fake. So now he is intentionally hurting them all.

God Robyn is out of control with the crying. She needs to be on antidepressants.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
35 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Wow when they showed the Janelle wedding picture, I could've sworn that Robyn was standing there but it was Kody's mom! They resemble each other quite a lot, imo. 

Robyn can now pretend she was there from day one 😂 

Maybe she inserted her image in there, she does that!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 18
11 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Kody is a raging narcisstic and has suffered narcissitic injury. He is so insecure that he cannot absorb even the smallest injury to his warped ego. And he is the epitome of 'you can't leave me! No one leaves me! I leave you!'  Except they did leave him and he will never ever accept it as okay. He doesn't want them, and their leaving solves a lot of relationship problems for him, but he cannot accept that they left him first. It really must be exhausting being in a relationship with him. And that whole thing with the wedding dress - he says he has a RIGHT to be involved with choosing the bride's dress because the wedding is about him. She is not a separate person with rights and privileges of her own - it's about him, always about him. Ugh.

I've thought they should just bring a fainting couch along with them wherever they go so Robyn will have somewhere to lay down whenever she has the vapors. She is a nineteenth century woman in a twenty-first century world. Whenever anything upsets her I can see her looking up, placing the back of her hand on her forehead and carefully 'falling' into the arms of someone nearby or gracefully onto her fainting couch while everyone fusses over her and a manly man orders her some tea with a little brandy in it.  Unfortunately for her we have moved forward from that time and all she can do is fake sob and declare that she is to fragile and delicate to experience such upset at the mere mention of just about anything. And sadly her daughters are being warped into delicate nineteenth century flowers under her wings. Do you think the girls will find some man wiling to put up with that crap? Or will they ever leave home at all?

images.jpeg

• LOL 19

Will someone else please comment on the subliminal WINE RACK message behind Janelle in her home? While Christine needed a glass of wine before she could view the videos....Janelle needed 50 bottles, just in case! Was this a FU moment for the love bird couple or just a public service announcement for us viewers that she has completely moved on and is living her own life without Kody and all of his rules? 

• Like 8
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Was this a FU moment for the love bird couple or just a public service announcement for us viewers that she has completely moved on and is living her own life without Kody and all of his rules? 

My guess is that it wasn't about the love bird couple at all. Janelle has moved on and is living her own life, and that includes plenty of wine. Works for me.

• Like 22
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Will someone else please comment on the subliminal WINE RACK message behind Janelle in her home? While Christine needed a glass of wine before she could view the videos....Janelle needed 50 bottles, just in case! Was this a FU moment for the love bird couple or just a public service announcement for us viewers that she has completely moved on and is living her own life without Kody and all of his rules? 

Also it is  possible she is stocking up for when all the kids and their spouses/girlfriends show up for holidays and visits. I imagine they put away a fair amount of wine at the Christmas gathering we saw photos of.

And sure, she may imbibe when she wants. No harm, no foul there by my book. If anyone deserves a glass when she wants, Janelle certainly does!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 16
  • Love 1

I just realized Kody embodies every cult-like religion with his words and actions. 

It's like if anyone disagrees with Kody or says anything's about disliking polygamy, then they are labeled subversive (just like Scientology and Mormon, etc)

The way he simmered in anger, and then went cold while Christine and the kids were talking about his lack of love for Christine, is similar to being confronted by the church and then ostracized and shunned.

He was so furious with MacKeltie for even 'agreeing' with Christine, you can tell he's already determined he's going to start to shun her. Just as a cult would banish and shun anyone if they said anything or agreed with anything against the church (or in Kody's situation, against him.)

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 16
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Chalby said:

He was so furious with MacKeltie for even 'agreeing' with Christine, you can tell he's already determined he's going to start to shun her. Just as a cult would banish and shun anyone if they said anything or agreed with anything against the church (or in Kody's situation, against him.)

Except Mykeltie is one of the few OG kids that still does a lot with K & R, so I think he'd want to keep her around.  

• Like 5
9 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Except Mykeltie is one of the few OG kids that still does a lot with K & R, so I think he'd want to keep her around.  

If Kootie is true to current form, Mykelti's "golden girl" status may soon change. If she champions Christine in any way, she is going to be on Kootie's hate list.

I think Mykelti is beginning to see the truth of the tale and recognizing that just maybe K&R are not totally truthful. She has to be seeing the good changes in Christine and how truly happy she is now vs the sad unhappy person she was. Especially as she sees the other OG moms also leaving she has to see it isn't "all Christine's fault". Time will tell where her loyalties really lie...and her reasons.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Chalby said:

I just realized Kody embodies every cult-like religion with his words and actions. 

It's like if anyone disagrees with Kody or says anything's about disliking polygamy, then they are labeled subversive (just like Scientology and Mormon, etc)

The way he simmered in anger, and then went cold while Christine and the kids were talking about his lack of love for Christine, is similar to being confronted by the church and then ostracized and shunned.

He is motivated by the Kult of Kody.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5

Just remembered something new I learned: Robyn taught Kody how to scrunch his hair. And I assume they really like it that way because he commented on how bad the hair was in the past. I almost thought he looked cute in the flashbacks when he first met Robyn with the shorter straight hair.

And Robyn, its not just that she was thinner, but she was happy and smiling. Now she has that perpetual turned down frown and it it very unbecoming. Meanwhile, the 3 others are beaming and.happy.  In the.Friday episode she could not have looked more miserable.

The other thing, the other wives spoke very nicely of her in the past. She reminds me of my best friend who thought I hated her and nothing could be further from the truth.

In all fairness though, it must be hard when you are so hated in social media.  I think the biggest lesson here is "Be careful what you wish for". TV stardom was the worst thing to happen to the Browns.

• Like 11
  • Love 2